What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Alt Country (1 Viewer)

guest 54788

Prince of ShantyTown
I need some bands to check out. I love Uncle Tupelo, Son Volt, Whiskeytown, Old 97s and Lucero (woo Memphis boys!), but not a fan of Wilco. Gimme some bands to take a listen to.

Yours in Jesus, Allah, or your 6-armed Indian god of your choice,

Fuller Shantytown

Jayhawks

Justin Townes Earle

Alejandro Escovedo

Avett Brothers

Bottle Rockets

Gillian Welch

John Hiatt

Raul Malo (maybe)

Ryan Bingham

Steve Earle

The Gourds

Neko Case

Hayes Carll

Gear Daddies (Let's Go Scare Al is awesome)

Drive-By Truckers

Dave Alvin

Justin Townes Earle

The Sadies

Phosphorescent

Two Cow Garage

The Dexateens

Slobberbone

Glossary

Deer Tick

Richmond Fontaine

Marah

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks guys. any CDs in particular? I'd prefer to steal only what is needed to get as good a samplin' as neccesary to see what I'd like to buy.

yours in Hong Kong Phooey,

me

Awesome thread. I've been listening to it for about a year. Started off with UT's cover of a Curcle Jerks cover of a Soft Lads song. Pandora hooked me up with a lit of the bands above. Seems that a lot of the bands I ended up liking were in punk bands early on. I'm in the same boat with not really liking Wilco, great has a better voice. But I did see Wilco live on a DirecTV special and they looked like good performers. I'd add:

Deer Tick

The Shins (some)

The Eels (some)

AA Bondy

Steve Earle and Drive By Truckers are too twangy traditional country sounding for me for the most part.

Plug any of these into Pandora and you'll get plenty more. Ryan Adams also comes up a lit but I seem to skip his songs most of the time. Looking forward to some great finds.

Jayhawks - Hollywood Town Hall, Tomorrow the Green GrassJustin Townes Earle - Harlem River Blues, Midnight at the MoviesAlejandro Escovedo - Real AnimalAvett Brothers - I and Love and You, EmotionalismBottle Rockets 24 Hours a DayGillian Welch -Soul JourneyJohn Hiatt - Walk OnRaul Malo (maybe) - Sinners and SaintsRyan BinghamSteve Earle - Train A Comin, I Feel Alright, Transcendental Blues, El CorazonThe Gourds - Stadium BlitzerNeko CaseHayes CarllGear Daddies (Let's Go Scare Al is awesome)Drive-By TruckersDave Alvin - Blackjack David

Awesome thread. I've been listening to it for about a year. Started off with UT's cover of a Curcle Jerks cover of a Soft Lads song. Pandora hooked me up with a lit of the bands above. Seems that a lot of the bands I ended up liking were in punk bands early on. I'm in the same boat with not really liking Wilco, great has a better voice. But I did see Wilco live on a DirecTV special and they looked like good performers. I'd add:Deer TickThe Shins (some)The Eels (some)AA BondySteve Earle and Drive By Truckers are too twangy traditional country sounding for me for the most part.Plug any of these into Pandora and you'll get plenty more. Ryan Adams also comes up a lit but I seem to skip his songs most of the time. Looking forward to some great finds.
we seem to be in the same boat. I got turned on to Uncle Tupelo (about a decade too late) and Son Volt about 4 years ago, but I don't really care form Wilco or Ryan Adams. I'll check out the others that you mentioned.

thanks guys. any CDs in particular? I'd prefer to steal only what is needed to get as good a samplin' as neccesary to see what I'd like to buy.

me
I'll second the Neko Case recommendation. Huge fanboy here, and Blacklisted is a good place to start.I also dig Lucero a lot, but not sure how seamlessly they fit into the hazy alt-country genre. That Much Further West is a damn good album.

me
I'll second the Neko Case recommendation. Huge fanboy here, and Blacklisted is a good place to start.I also dig Lucero a lot, but not sure how seamlessly they fit into the hazy alt-country genre. That Much Further West is a damn good album.
Lucero love may be a homer thing since I'm from Memphis. i'll check out Neko Case.

me
Lucero love may be a homer thing since I'm from Memphis. i'll check out Neko Case.
:potkettle: Yeah, just never sure about the guidelines of the alt-country genre. Good stuff, at any rate.

thanks guys. any CDs in particular?
JTE - Harlem River BluesThe Sadies - Precious MomentsPhosphorescent - To Willie, Here's To Taking It EasyTwo Cow Gargage - Speaking In Cursive, Sweet Saint MeThe Dexateens - Hardwire HealingSlobberbone - Everything You Thought Was Right Was Wrong TodayGlossary - Feral FireDeer Tick - War Elephant, Born on Flag DayRichmond Fontaine - Post To WireMarah - If You Didn't Laugh You'd Cry

me
I'll second the Neko Case recommendation. Huge fanboy here, and Blacklisted is a good place to start.
Thirded. And Blacklisted is one of my favorite albums of the decade. I don't think of Neko in quite the same genre as UT, Son Volt and Old 97's. I guess she is though. Definitely check her out.

Gram Parsons / The Flying Burrito Brithers

My Morning Jacket

Old Crow Medicine Show

Not Alt country, but I think all the bands you listed in the op are influenced by The Replacements. I'd check them out if you haven't already.

JayhawksJustin Townes EarleAlejandro EscovedoAvett BrothersBottle RocketsGillian WelchJohn HiattRaul Malo (maybe)Ryan BinghamSteve EarleThe GourdsNeko CaseHayes CarllGear Daddies (Let's Go Scare Al is awesome)Drive-By TruckersDave Alvin
:goodposting: Outlaw Country on Sirius/XM radio is playing the best stuff

JayhawksJustin Townes EarleAlejandro EscovedoAvett BrothersBottle RocketsGillian WelchJohn HiattRaul Malo (maybe)Ryan BinghamSteve EarleThe GourdsNeko CaseHayes CarllGear Daddies (Let's Go Scare Al is awesome)Drive-By TruckersDave Alvin
I am a pretty big fan of this genre and I dont like outlaw country. I came close to canceling my subscription when they turned Country X into outlaw country. How can you say they are playing the best stuff? I still listen to it as there is nothing else when on the road.

I am a pretty big fan of this genre and I dont like outlaw country. I came close to canceling my subscription when they turned Country X into outlaw country. How can you say they are playing the best stuff? I still listen to it as there is nothing else when on the road.
I'm going to agree with this. X Country play list was much better. Outlaw Country has too much classic southern rock and not enough of the above.

Let me know if you like lissie. I think she is awesome, sort of Janis with great alt country tunes.

Awesome thread. I've been listening to it for about a year. Started off with UT's cover of a Curcle Jerks cover of a Soft Lads song. Pandora hooked me up with a lit of the bands above. Seems that a lot of the bands I ended up liking were in punk bands early on. I'm in the same boat with not really liking Wilco, great has a better voice. But I did see Wilco live on a DirecTV special and they looked like good performers. I'd add:

Deer Tick

The Shins (some)

The Eels (some)

AA Bondy

Steve Earle and Drive By Truckers are too twangy traditional country sounding for me for the most part.

Plug any of these into Pandora and you'll get plenty more. Ryan Adams also comes up a lit but I seem to skip his songs most of the time. Looking forward to some great finds.
we seem to be in the same boat. I got turned on to Uncle Tupelo (about a decade too late) and Son Volt about 4 years ago, but I don't really care form Wilco or Ryan Adams. I'll check out the others that you mentioned.
Sounds like we're in the same ballpark -- that's about where I stand on the Farrar-Tweedy spectrum. I like Jay Farrar's solo stuff and Gob Iron, too. Wilco is pretty good, but it's not in my wheelhouse.For the Drive-By Truckers, try anything from Southern Rock Opera. Hayes Carll is :mellow: . The Bottle Rockets are solid - try "$1,000 Car", "Welfare Music", and other stuff from The Brooklyn Side. And Shooter Jennings is great. Try anything from Electric Rodeo.

I like both Gillian Welch and Neko Case but that's kinda similar to the Farrar/Tweedy spectrum. Gillian Welch is sorta like Farrar -- more primitive and forthright -- while Neko Case is more layered and complex like Jeff Tweedy. For Welch, I'd recommend Revival. For Neko Case, try Fox Confessor Brings The Flood.

;) Outlaw Country on Sirius/XM radio is playing the best stuff
I'm going to agree with this. X Country play list was much better. Outlaw Country has too much classic southern rock and not enough of the above.
I never heard X Country, wish I had. I don't disagree that they should play more Americana/country stuff, but I do like the southern rock mixed in too. It's the best out there, not saying it couldn't be better. But I never did XM only Sirius, so I don't know about X. I did hear kenny cheesy once on don was' show, was really not happy about that, don was can really bite too, same with marty stuart. I do like Steve Earle's show a ton, and Elizabeth Cook in the morning, and the daytime DJs are usually pretty solid.

firstseason1988 said:
I never heard X Country, wish I had. I don't disagree that they should play more Americana/country stuff, but I do like the southern rock mixed in too. It's the best out there, not saying it couldn't be better. But I never did XM only Sirius, so I don't know about X. I did hear kenny cheesy once on don was' show, was really not happy about that, don was can really bite too, same with marty stuart. I do like Steve Earle's show a ton, and Elizabeth Cook in the morning, and the daytime DJs are usually pretty solid.
Try Frannie Thomas' show on the Loft (XM50; don't know what it is on Sirius). She's on at 6 p.m. to midnight ET weeknights and plays a ton of this type of music (closest thing to the old X Country). Her voice & delivery are a little...unique, so she may take some getting used to. But she knows her stuff and clearly loves Americana/alt-country/roots.

I am not familiar with the term "Alt Country" Is this about right?

Alternative country (sometimes alt-country,[1] insurgent country,[2] or Americana[3]) is a loosely defined sub-genre of country music, which includes acts that differ significantly in style from mainstream or pop country music. It has been used to describe country music bands and artists that have incorporated influences ranging from roots rock, bluegrass, rockabilly, honky-tonk, alternative rock, folk rock, and particularly punk.

Love the Mavericks. Malo's solo stuff is pretty good, seriously. Check out Sinners and Saints.
Don't get me wrong, Raul is good. I have all the solo records and have seen the solo show a few times. But as a fan of the Mavericks going back to From Hell to Paradise who has seen them more times than I care to admit, I just don't think his solo stuff is as awesome as the band in its prime. Can't really say why, guess I just loved the raw country rock power. Also drank many beers with Robert Reynolds so maybe I am biased!

Chris Knight is my favorite alt country artist.

A few girl bands that I like are:

Be Good Tanyas

Frazey Ford (solo)

Po Girl

Wailin Jenny's

and who cannot have Lucinda Williams on their list!?!? One of best....

Try some

Bobby Bare Jr.

Hickman Dalton Gang (Johnny Hickman from Cracker)

Roger Clyne and the Peacemakers

Sadies (Get the album with John Doe from X - Country Club)

Broken Social Scene

Beat Farmers (RIP Country **** Montana)

A couple good tribute albums that have come out recently feature a bunch of alt country type artists - John Prine & Shel Silverstein.

Not sure if it counts as Alt Country or Americana or what but:

Levon Helm - Dirt Farmer

One of the best albums to come out in the last few years.

Robbie Fulks: Georgia Hard, Let's Kill Saturday Night, and Couples In Trouble are all brilliant.

Freakwater: all of them are great, but Springtime, Old Paint, and Endtime particularly turn my crank. Janet Beveridge Bean and Cathy Irwin are some of the best American songwriters alive. This isn't hyperbole.

Bonnie "Prince" Billy--Master and Everyone, I See A Darkness. Not exactly country--more of pan-folk carnival of melancholy and despair.

I am not familiar with the term "Alt Country" Is this about right?Alternative country (sometimes alt-country,[1] insurgent country,[2] or Americana[3]) is a loosely defined sub-genre of country music, which includes acts that differ significantly in style from mainstream or pop country music. It has been used to describe country music bands and artists that have incorporated influences ranging from roots rock, bluegrass, rockabilly, honky-tonk, alternative rock, folk rock, and particularly punk.
slightly more whiny than country. incredibly more pretentious than country. But with twice the boring. it helps if you have an ironic mustache and white belt/fedora combo whilst swilling your pbr and not dancing.

My all-time favorite band is Roger Clyne and the Peacemakers. Awesome music. They used to be The Refreshments, but changed things up when they lost their guitar player and bassist.

Check out the album Americano to start with.\

Roger Clyne also has a new tequila out (link) - makes an awesome gift if you know a fan of the band.

Not sure if it counts as Alt Country or Americana or what but:

Levon Helm - Dirt Farmer

One of the best albums to come out in the last few years.
:goodposting: Electric Dirt is excellent as well.

The Black Crowes' 2009 release 'Before the Frost...Until the Freeze" is worth checking out too. Great mix of rock, bluegrass, country, and americana influences.

Users who are viewing this thread