What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***official*** all things Microsoft Xbox One (1 Viewer)

wazoo11

Footballguy
link

In an interview with Eurogamer published earlier today, Xbox and Entertainment Director Stephen McGill confirmed that Microsoft has no plans for a new Xbox console. Instead, the company will be focusing their efforts on supporting Kinect. "We'll continue to evolve those gaming and entertainment experiences through the power of software updates, rather than new chipsets and plastic," McGill said. (Source)

This statement should not come as a surprise by any means. Microsoft executives have routinely denied any plans for an "Xbox 720" for years, vehemently insisting that the Xbox 360's lifecycle was merely at the halfway point with another five years left in the tank. Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer even referred to Kinect as the "new generation Xbox 360" during a speech at the London School of Economics last month. It is clear then that Kinect is supposed to be the Xbox 720.

With a marketing budget of half a billion dollars, Microsoft is banking on Kinect's success. But is it a smart move on Microsoft's part to consider a motion sensing periperhal as the next generation Xbox? If early software review scores on launch titles are any indication, it is still up in the air whether or not Kinect will be a success in today's world of video games let alone against the future generation of beefed up consoles. Could the Xbox 360 with Kinect really compete with a "PlayStation 4" and "Wii 2" if/when they are released in the future? Hopefully they are at least working on a new Xbox in secret.

Microsoft, you are really digging a hole for yourselves by thinking that Kinect should be the "Xbox 720".

Last edited by a moderator:
Microsoft, you are really digging a hole for yourselves by thinking that Kinect should be the "Xbox 720".
You're fooling yourself if you think they are going to tell you what their next system is. It should be an interesting battle between MS and Sony since both will have BR, online and motion detection capabilities. It will be interesting so see if one of them will be able to differentiate itself next gen.

Sony and MS have said it'll probably be a LONG time before a new console will come out. There have been many interviews where developers have said there is only so much they can do with the hardware. MS needs to bow down and incorporate blue ray.

the Xbox 360's lifecycle was merely at the halfway point with another five years left in the tank.
10 year life cycle for a gaming console? Highly unlikely.There are 6 years between Playstation 1 & 2, and 6 years between Playstation 2 & 3. I'm guessing we can expect a Playstation 4 sometime late 2012.Microsoft will follow suit.

the Xbox 360's lifecycle was merely at the halfway point with another five years left in the tank.
10 year life cycle for a gaming console? Highly unlikely.There are 6 years between Playstation 1 & 2, and 6 years between Playstation 2 & 3. I'm guessing we can expect a Playstation 4 sometime late 2012.Microsoft will follow suit.
Haven't the software developers already maxed out the processing power of the XBOX?

I'm willing to bet there won't be a PS4 by 2012. Sony is just now beginning to sell PS3 and in this economy it would not be a smart decision to release a new console solely for graphical upgrades. Developers also are just beginning to utilize the power of the PS3.

Sony and MS have said it'll probably be a LONG time before a new console will come out. There have been many interviews where developers have said there is only so much they can do with the hardware. MS needs to bow down and incorporate blue ray.
It was six years between the PS2 (00) and PS3 (06) and four years between the XBOX (01) and 360 (05), so I would would expect a new system from MS by the end of 2012. Neither company wants to cannibalize their current sales, but nearly everyone who wants a PS3 or 360 have one already and the graphics are becoming very outdated by PC standards. The only real growth is going to be from a next gen system and MS wants to get there first. MS will undoubtedly have Blu Ray on their next system, Sony clearly won that battle and they really don't have a choice. They want to have a device that basically does everything - plays games and lets you control all the media in your house. I don't see the next gen XBOX being all that different from the 360 w/Kinect but it will be a lot more powerful and be a complete media hub. That alone would make me buy it at launch.

I'm willing to bet there won't be a PS4 by 2012. Sony is just now beginning to sell PS3 and in this economy it would not be a smart decision to release a new console solely for graphical upgrades. Developers also are just beginning to utilize the power of the PS3.
:rant:Xbox 720 will come before the PS4 imo.

Sony has less incentive to release a new system since the PS3 already has BR. I think the PS4 will out by fall 2013 at the earliest.

If the Kinect and the Sony thing are their answers to the Wii, than I will put my money on the new Nintendo system being much more innovative than either of these two and will sell more consoles again.

The only question is that since each system now has motion control, how will that be expanded in the future? Better move recognition. More discrete movements recognized. More motion that will enable the games much more versatility. Could be fun to watch.

I don't see Sony releasing a new system anytime within the next 3-5 years. Xbox, on the other hand, might need to. I read about some speculation as to whether the next GTA game would even fit on a disc for Xbox where I don't think developers have come close to maxing out the potential of the Blu Ray discs and PS3. Just my opinion of course.

I don't see Sony releasing a new system anytime within the next 3-5 years. Xbox, on the other hand, might need to. I read about some speculation as to whether the next GTA game would even fit on a disc for Xbox where I don't think developers have come close to maxing out the potential of the Blu Ray discs and PS3. Just my opinion of course.
Yeah, I'm not sure if it is the next GTA or the one after, but sony will gain exclusive rights again.

Won't Sony be forced to release a new system if MS does? I think the 360 is still outselling the PS3 so Sony will be in a situation where their system is neither the most popular previous gen system nor the best technology current system.

Won't Sony be forced to release a new system if MS does? I think the 360 is still outselling the PS3 so Sony will be in a situation where their system is neither the most popular previous gen system nor the best technology current system.
If the blu-ray discs still aren't being maxed out to their potential by the time the xbox 720 comes out, there would be no point (in the short term anyway) to create a new system as the xbox 720 will be stuck at the same limits as the PS3.

If the blu-ray discs still aren't being maxed out to their potential by the time the xbox 720 comes out, there would be no point (in the short term anyway) to create a new system as the xbox 720 will be stuck at the same limits as the PS3.
Good point, the PS3 does have an advantage in that way. I saw the Mass Effect 3 preview and graphics on the PS3 version were noticeably better than the 360. Although, given the hardware limitations of the PS3 there's only so much better it can get. If MS comes out with a new system the graphics difference between the PS3 and 360 won't mean much and it will come down to exclusive games for new sales. I think the 360 has it's own advantage with Kinect if they can come out with games that can take advantage of it.

It doesn't look good for the PS3:

YTD totals:

360 4.9M

Wii 4.66M

PS3 3.12M

LTD totals:

Wii 31.77M

360 23.53M

PS3 14.25M

A few interesting factoids:

Pachter also noted that one third of PS3 sales were $400 PlayStation Move bundles, versus one half of all Xbox 360 purchases being Kinect bundles. (There are two Kinect bundles, a $300 4GB model and $400 250GB model.) "Xbox 360 Kinect console bundles outsold PS3 Move console bundles by more than 5 to 1," said the analyst.

Source: http://www.gamespot.com/news/6285151.html

Major Nelson:

Quote:

# November marks the sixth consecutive month Xbox 360 leads video game consoles in sales, with 1.37 million units sold. (Source: NPD Group, November 2010)

# Xbox 360 is the only console to show double digit year-to-date growth at 42%, making it the fastest-growing console in 2010. (Source: NPD Group, November 2010)

# 50% of spending at retail this November (for current generation consoles) was on the Xbox 360 platform. (Source: NPD Group, November 2010)

NPD's Anita Frazier

"The Xbox 360 was the best-selling console hardware system for the month, realizing an incredible 68% increase over last November."

Accessories

"The Xbox 360 Kinect was the best-selling accessory item in NovemberWith one month of sales, it's the top-selling accessory item in terms of dollar sales on a year-to-date basis."

"The Xbox 360 platform contributed five of the top ten accessory items for the month."

The fact that PS3 is in last place gives them motivation to make a change, so I am going with them to come out with something first. They need something that creates buzz. Probably something that combines the best of a kinect type setup and a Wii. Motion sensors and motion controllers along with some kickass graphics upgrades.

In some ways, it may not make sense for a PS4 to hit shelves anytime soon, but it seems awful dangerous to risk launching later than the others.

It doesn't seem like there would be a Blu-ray situation to save them this time.

Both Sony and Microsoft lose $$ on each console sold and have to recoup that in game sales. IIRC Microsoft needs to sell five games for each 360 before breaking even on the hardware loss. In that regard, both companies have a big incentive to extend the lifecycle of the current gen of consoles.

Given the state of the current economy, I think it's highly unlikely we see a new system anytime soon.
:goodposting: In addition to the rotten economy, I have very little interest in seeing a new console right now and I don't think I'm alone. Moving from the PS2 to the PS3 (or 360) was huge because of the upgrade to HD graphics and the improvement of online play, along with the various media features. I'm not sure what comparable innovation is waiting out there with for a PS4/720. Yeah, it would be nice to have hardware that could lock in 60 fps, but I'm not willing to shell out launch prices just for that.

Given the state of the current economy, I think it's highly unlikely we see a new system anytime soon.
:cry: In addition to the rotten economy, I have very little interest in seeing a new console right now and I don't think I'm alone. Moving from the PS2 to the PS3 (or 360) was huge because of the upgrade to HD graphics and the improvement of online play, along with the various media features. I'm not sure what comparable innovation is waiting out there with for a PS4/720. Yeah, it would be nice to have hardware that could lock in 60 fps, but I'm not willing to shell out launch prices just for that.
People are still buying gaming consoles despite the economic woes, which will only get better. PS is getting their butts kicked and need to do something. They need to leap ahead of XBox Kinect and Wii. They will act first and force Microsoft to respond, probably a year later. PS4 and Wii 2 in 2012, XBox 720 in 2013.

:goodposting: In addition to the rotten economy, I have very little interest in seeing a new console right now and I don't think I'm alone. Moving from the PS2 to the PS3 (or 360) was huge because of the upgrade to HD graphics and the improvement of online play, along with the various media features. I'm not sure what comparable innovation is waiting out there with for a PS4/720. Yeah, it would be nice to have hardware that could lock in 60 fps, but I'm not willing to shell out launch prices just for that.
People are still buying gaming consoles despite the economic woes, which will only get better. PS is getting their butts kicked and need to do something. They need to leap ahead of XBox Kinect and Wii. They will act first and force Microsoft to respond, probably a year later. PS4 and Wii 2 in 2012, XBox 720 in 2013.
What innovative new features do you see the PS4 offerring that the PS3 doesn't already do? I can see Nintendo putting out a new console because the Wii is really outdated. I could also see MS putting out something new that incorporates BR, but I think they're telling the truth about Kinect being the "new" XBox -- like goonsquad pointed out, this allows them to extend the life of the 360 and it also lets them make a play for the casual/family market. But there's really little reason for Sony to break out a new console any time soon.

if xbox seriously thinks they're going to get away with this (having the kinect be the new "system") they're sadly mistaken.

I realize that the "hardcore" gamers aren't all that matters, but they'll jump ship back over to Sony in a second if they drop a new system with a big hardware upgrade within the next 2 years.

As someone who plays a lot of video games (probably too much) I couldn't care less about all this motion stuff. I just think its a silly gimmick and i want no part of it. If i want to swing a golf club, I'll go play golf. If i want to dance (which i don't, because I'm a terrible dancer) I'll go dance somewhere. I don't need to be in my living room with my video game console to do these things.

I want my video game experience to be me sitting on the couch with a controller in my hand. If i want exercise, I'll go to the gym.

The Wii obviously hit a Home Run with this motion thing, but I think its fair to say that there are a TON of wii owners whose consoles are just sitting around collecting dust at this point. I cant see this segment of people buying another motion console a few years down the road. I think that novelty is wearing off.

if xbox seriously thinks they're going to get away with this (having the kinect be the new "system") they're sadly mistaken. I realize that the "hardcore" gamers aren't all that matters, but they'll jump ship back over to Sony in a second if they drop a new system with a big hardware upgrade within the next 2 years. As someone who plays a lot of video games (probably too much) I couldn't care less about all this motion stuff. I just think its a silly gimmick and i want no part of it. If i want to swing a golf club, I'll go play golf. If i want to dance (which i don't, because I'm a terrible dancer) I'll go dance somewhere. I don't need to be in my living room with my video game console to do these things.I want my video game experience to be me sitting on the couch with a controller in my hand. If i want exercise, I'll go to the gym.The Wii obviously hit a Home Run with this motion thing, but I think its fair to say that there are a TON of wii owners whose consoles are just sitting around collecting dust at this point. I cant see this segment of people buying another motion console a few years down the road. I think that novelty is wearing off.
:goodposting: my thoughts completely. I've never had ANY desire to own a Wii/Kinect. If Kinect really was the Xbox 720 (which I doubt), how would this handle FPS games? Am I going to have to stand in front of the television with an old school Nintendo Zapper-esque gun while running in place to get around the map? I can totally see myself taking cover behind my coffee table, Gears-style...

As someone who plays a lot of video games (probably too much) I couldn't care less about all this motion stuff. I just think its a silly gimmick and i want no part of it. If i want to swing a golf club, I'll go play golf. If i want to dance (which i don't, because I'm a terrible dancer) I'll go dance somewhere. I don't need to be in my living room with my video game console to do these things.I want my video game experience to be me sitting on the couch with a controller in my hand. If i want exercise, I'll go to the gym.
:goodposting:

I am not a Sony fanboy, but IMO the PS3 is just hitting its stride, the XBOX is still holding based on solid games (but like others have pointed out--it needs a hardware upgrade) and the Wii will ultimately decline.

Keep in mind that people are still buying PS2s. I do not think we will see a PS4 for 5 years at the earliest.

I think the schedule will go Nintendo, then Sony and MS fighting it out for a release date.

I agree that MicroSoft is find holding out as long as they can with the current XBox 360. I think late 2013 is the soonest they release a new console. I think this will depend on when Sony Releases a new console and how sales go. What I can see happening is XBox releasing a BluRay module for current systems before one the next holiday seasons and include it in new 360s as their CD Drive.

If I had to bet, Christmas 2013 for the PS4 and Mid to late 2014 will see the new XBox.

I do not think we will see a PS4 for 5 years at the earliest.
If this is to be correct, it will also mark nearly 10 years between upgrades. This is inconsistent from what Sony has showed us in the past.Has any popular game console ever gone 10 years without an upgrade?

i cant imagine that it takes that much time to develop the actual hardware for a console. The technology already exists to give the Ps3 or Xbox 360 a significant hardware upgrade. I guess the difficulty is deciding how high end they want to go and making it cost feasible. Plus they obviously have to make it small enough to be practical.

I thought it was widely believed that the 360 and PS3 were to have 10-year life cycles....a fact that's been rehashed over and over by execs at both companies. Is this wrong? Or perhaps I'm misunderstanding the meaning of life cycle in this case?

i cant imagine that it takes that much time to develop the actual hardware for a console. The technology already exists to give the Ps3 or Xbox 360 a significant hardware upgrade. I guess the difficulty is deciding how high end they want to go and making it cost feasible. Plus they obviously have to make it small enough to be practical.
The longer they wait, the more of an improvement they can provide in hardware for a cheaper start up cost. Gears of War 4, Xbox III, Launch Q3 2013. Book It!

I thought it was widely believed that the 360 and PS3 were to have 10-year life cycles....a fact that's been rehashed over and over by execs at both companies. Is this wrong? Or perhaps I'm misunderstanding the meaning of life cycle in this case?
PS3 could do it with Blu-ray and its hardware, 360, not so much.

Both companies obviously benefit from a longer life cycle. They lose money on every new console sold and extending the life cycle saves them the R&D expense. As long as they could keep charging 50-60 dollars for games, I'd imagine that both Sony and Microsoft would be happy to NEVER develop another console. It really is a case of who blinks first. Microsoft clearly lost the last generation war (Ps2 vs Xbox) so they made the early push to the next gen earlier. (which is why the 360 was released so much earlier than Ps3). I think its safe to say that Sony trails this time around, but the advantage of Blu-ray is probably saving them for the moment. Unless someone else tries to develop a high end console, both of them can hang back for as long as they want. (to be honest, they probably have discussions with each other about it ) But when one moves forward, the other will certainly follow suit.

Both Sony and Microsoft lose $$ on each console sold and have to recoup that in game sales. IIRC Microsoft needs to sell five games for each 360 before breaking even on the hardware loss. In that regard, both companies have a big incentive to extend the lifecycle of the current gen of consoles.
Only true for a short period of time after the initial launch of the consoles. At this point, lower component costs, process improvements and redesigns have both MS and Sony making profit and the hardware. One of many reasons both companies have to extend the life cycle of their consoles.

You also have to consider the economic realities for the companies themselves though. The launch of a console involves a lot of red ink since they lose money on each console sold these days as others have pointed out. Sony execs were catching a ton of heat around the launch of the PS3 because those losses were so steep. Can't imagine a lot of companies excited to jump into something that will be guaranteed to lose them money for a few years with no telling what the future holds beyond that with the state of the economy.

Although it would seem that the loser of a console war would want to be the first into the next generation, it feels like it would make sense for Sony to hang back on this one.

The 360 probably won the current war because their early game library, online experience, and price. The PS3 game library and price have caught up and they could always do things to improve the online experience.

If Microsoft were to preempt again and come out with a 720 that was just a hardware upgrade and blu-ray with a hefty price tag, I'd think that would be great news for Sony.

It doesn't sound like anything truly innovative or groundbreaking is on the horizon, so it would make sense that Microsoft and Sony would wait awhile.

Just a guess, but the current console war will be around a while and won't look like the previous ones. Kinect vs. Move will certainly be there and I would assume we'll see more battles over exclusivity (with publishers and maybe even something like Netflix).

The wild card will be someone else jumping in with a new console (no idea who). This has been consistent across the generations, I believe.

I guess I'm at somewhat of a loss as to what features people think need to be added so badly that MS or Sony need to release a new console? They both output at the highest HD standard. They both do 3D. They both have motion controls now. They both have lots of multimedia features (and could add more with software updates). So what feature(s) would be compelling enough for gamers to drop $500-700 on a new console?

There is no need for a new console, at this time. At best, the Kinect will extend the life of the 360, making your purchase of the XBox 360 even better of an investment. Extending the life of the XBox means more games for the console you've already purchased. At worst, Kinect will ultimately fail, putting Microsoft into panic mode and forcing them to rush out a new console, as they will fear that the 360 user base has been saturated.

I guess I'm at somewhat of a loss as to what features people think need to be added so badly that MS or Sony need to release a new console? They both output at the highest HD standard. They both do 3D. They both have motion controls now. They both have lots of multimedia features (and could add more with software updates). So what feature(s) would be compelling enough for gamers to drop $500-700 on a new console?
:rant: Now for bigger games you can install the game since the space is there now.*This from a guy who had a launch unit until picking up the slim this summer :rant:

holgraphic sex games

I do not think we will see a PS4 for 5 years at the earliest.
If this is to be correct, it will also mark nearly 10 years between upgrades. This is inconsistent from what Sony has showed us in the past.Has any popular game console ever gone 10 years without an upgrade?
7 years between the NES and the SNES is the longest cycle that i could find.
Sega Dreamcast launched on 9/9/99 and hasn't received an upgrade. Although it officially has been killed off, games are still produced for the system to this day.

That's my feeling. There has not been anything in display technology to justify a console change out since either's launch. I'm not sure what big upgrade is there right now that you could package up and sell that anyone could point to. Maybe when 3D catches on it brings something, but not until then. 2015 to 2020 would be my guess.

newteech said:
wazoo11 said:
You know that Playstation 2 games are still being released regularly and available at most major retailers, right? That's a 10 year life cycle. Sony has only just announced that they have stopped production of the PS2.

Users who are viewing this thread