What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***official*** all things Microsoft Xbox One (1 Viewer)

IvanKaramazov said:
Buddy Ball 2K3 said:
30 minutes to install BF4.

First impressions. Love the controller...

the rest does not feel like "next gen". I am not a kinect user so I skipped all that crap. Everything else looks to be a water downed version of what I can already do on my pc that i have hooked up to my tv.
BF4 obviously is not going to look better on either console than it does on PC, but the next gen version is a huge upgrade over the PS360 version.

Edit: Seriously question. If you're a PC gamer, why buy a console at all? You guys have a better game library and vastly better specs. I don't get it.
As a former big time PC gamer....

It's nice to put in a disk and play. No worrying about updated drivers, crashes, conflicting hardware or any number of random events that cause your system to crash.

Another reason is even though you can hook your CPU to modern HDTVs and use existing xbox controllers - all the games STILL to this day play differently on a PC then a console. It's hard to describe but they feel "computer-ish".

IvanKaramazov said:
Buddy Ball 2K3 said:

the rest does not feel like "next gen". I am not a kinect user so I skipped all that crap. Everything else looks to be a water downed version of what I can already do on my pc that i have hooked up to my tv.
BF4 obviously is not going to look better on either console than it does on PC, but the next gen version is a huge upgrade over the PS360 version.

Edit: Seriously question. If you're a PC gamer, why buy a console at all? You guys have a better game library and vastly better specs. I don't get it.
Few of my real life buddies PC game, so thats why I swing both ways. I also wouldn't call it a HUGE upgrade in graphics though it is better.

Video comparison
Video comparisons don't do the new consoles justice. Watching a game on a little highly-compressed feed isn't the same as watching it from a few feet away on a 60" television. I have BF4 on both the PS3 and PS4, and the MP graphics really are leaps and bounds better on the PS4. I'm sure it's similar for the 360 and XB1.

Granted it's only been one day so far, but Day One Launch guys, are you happy you made the purchase? I'm still on the fence about trading in my PS3 now and trying to score a system in the next few days.

Granted it's only been one day so far, but Day One Launch guys, are you happy you made the purchase? I'm still on the fence about trading in my PS3 now and trying to score a system in the next few days.
I have only played BF4 and I dont use the Kinect features so keep that in mind. I would not purchase the X1 at this point if you have a 360 or PS3 if money is an issue. The upgrade in graphics is just not that big of deal (on BF4) at this point. If you want all the new features of the X1 like the kinect voice then maybe. But besides the controller I dont think there is much to see here as of the first few weeks.

Apps:

NFL app -- not sure what the point is if you have cable/dish/directv - You have access to all of this content already. As for the fantasy football use, this seems like a waste as well. I already have an app for that on my phone & tablet

Netflix -- Works very well. If you do not have this already available in your current setup then you will be thrilled. If you already do, not much to see here. Same for Hulu, amazon prime etc

Blu-Ray drive - Had to install an app for this to work. Using the controller for movies sucks

Also wanted to note that my Harmony One controller worked right away. I just updated my settings on logitechs site and it worked as well as it did with the 360.

Edit: My buddy who has the X1 and bought Ryse said that the graphics on that look great compared to BF4. I however have not seen it myself and this guy worships at the alter of MSFTl, he even has a windows phone and a zune.

Last edited by a moderator:
We're loving it so far. I downloaded Battlefield 4, Killer Instinct & Dead Rising 3 so far. Digital titles are the bomb. Got em pinned to my dashboard and can just jump right into the game - right where I left it. And no discs or drive noise that goes along with it. The console makes no sound whatsoever. The Kinect is pretty responsive in that I can adjust the TV volume, snap apps, start apps, etc all with voice. Though if the TV is super loud, I have to raise my voice a bit. It's just a solid, clean, fun console.

One thing I need to figure out is the gamertag situation. When setting up the Xbox, I had my oldest son associate his face with the one gamertag we have (our 2 year old Gold account). So he walks in the room and is instantly recognized and signed in. I heard Microsoft a few months ago say you can have multiple gamertags under that one Gold account - but I can't figure out how to create additional ones (for me, and my other kids). I'm thinking maybe it's not available yet??

Blu-Ray drive - Had to install an app for this to work. Using the controller for movies sucks
You had to actually install an app for the Blu-Ray? That's ridiculous. And not offering a DVD-specific controller (like Sony did for the PS3) is a major pet peeve of mine.

You had to actually install an app for the Blu-Ray? That's ridiculous. And not offering a DVD-specific controller (like Sony did for the PS3) is a major pet peeve of mine.
i thought i'd read the the xbox had an ir port and could be controlled w a universal remote for blu-ray

Xbox One:

Loving it so far. Sold my PS3 a few weeks ago so I was pretty primed for gaming. Spent my first two hours just in setup and exploration. Since my media center is down the hallway, I couldn't connect the Kinect right on top of the TV, instead I set it up in the media center, but it's picking up all my voice commands. Telling it to go in and out of different modes has been awesome. Snap TV is cool, but my DirecTV picture isn't as nice as when I plug straight into the TV. I'm looking for loose connections or settings, but I can't get it to look as clear as it used to. Guide works great. I've set up my favorites to include every channel that shows football on Sundays (CBS, FOX Sunday Ticket 700's). Controller is the best I've used. The console itself is actually really nice looking. I read it's big and ugly so many times, now I think it's the best looking piece of hardware in my media rack.

NFL App:

Just a bunch of clips and highlights. I don't play in any NFL.com leagues, so it's unlikely I'll get any use out of it for Fantasy.

Netflix:

Installed it, logged in. Same as any other Netflix app. Snazzy interface though.

Madden25:

Madden is really cool with the Kinect. You can give voice commands like "Audible Slants", "Pass Protection - Slant Right", "Spike", "Timeout" ect.. I never thought I'd use the voice commands, but it's been great. I was in 2 minute O last night, had a long pass play and I'm yelling out "No Huddle!". As for graphics, though subtle, there is a definite upgrade. I don't care about crowds and people on the sideline, so no comment. Player movement is my favorite improvement, RBs move much more realistic. Playing with LeSean McCoy and the new XBone controller was a blast last night. The new controller is pretty sensitive so I was making some nice touch passes with Nick Foles last night. The O-line and pockets are a blast as well. It's fun when you see your pocket form and a CB is coming off the edge, but you try and climb the pocket to disrupt the CB's straight shot at you by cutting off his angle. I'll be in practice mode a lot this weekend trying to get used to the new running and Oline pocket. Also, I haven't been able to log into my EA account so I can't comment on online.

Keep in mind that he refuses to use the Kinect, which is normally how you'd control movies/DVD's, etc.

Don't get me wrong, I think the Kinect is dumb as well. But if I was going to go out of my way to buy the console that is $100 more expensive at least in part because it comes packaged with the Kinect, I'd hook the damn thing up and at least get my money's worth out of the "next-gen" features associated with said Kinect. As far as I'm concerned, if you aren't using the Kinect features (which the entire XBox One feature-set is pretty much designed around integrating), you aren't totally qualified to give a review on the console.

Keep in mind that he refuses to use the Kinect, which is normally how you'd control movies/DVD's, etc.

Don't get me wrong, I think the Kinect is dumb as well. But if I was going to go out of my way to buy the console that is $100 more expensive at least in part because it comes packaged with the Kinect, I'd hook the damn thing up and at least get my money's worth out of the "next-gen" features associated with said Kinect. As far as I'm concerned, if you aren't using the Kinect features (which the entire XBox One feature-set is pretty much designed around integrating), you aren't totally qualified to give a review on the console.
With respect to the Netflix app, the initial reviews have said that the Kinnect motion control hasn't been very good. And voice command for stopping or rewinding to a certain point doesn't seem like it would ever be very good compared to a physical controller.

I disagree with BB2K3 about the graphics for BF4, but I agree with him that if you're on the fence about whether to jump to the next gen or not, you can sit tight with the current-gen consoles for a while. Neither of the new consoles has anything particularly great to offer in terms of games yet. Come back in February or March and reevaluate things then.

I disagree with BB2K3 about the graphics for BF4, but I agree with him that if you're on the fence about whether to jump to the next gen or not, you can sit tight with the current-gen consoles for a while. Neither of the new consoles has anything particularly great to offer in terms of games yet. Come back in February or March and reevaluate things then.
The big downside for waiting is losing trade in value on your current console. I think I'm going to lose $50-75 by not taking advantage of some of these trade in offers right now.

IvanKaramazov said:
Buddy Ball 2K3 said:

Few of my real life buddies PC game, so thats why I swing both ways. I also wouldn't call it a HUGE upgrade in graphics though it is better.

Video comparison
What's your name on the PC side, Buddy?

You disagree that the graphics for the PC version of BF4 are better than XBone and PS4? Yes, the new generation looks leaps and bounds better than the previous gen, but it's still not even close to what the PC version can do. On PC, you can get nearly double the resolution (2560x1600)

that the PS4 (1600x900) and Xbox One can (1280x720), assuming you meet requirements to play that way. And that's not going into frame rate, which from what I've read is capped at 30fps on both consoles - for Battlefield 4. There's just no question about it. Forgive me if I misread what it was you disagreed with him about it.

If you're a Battlefield player on console, its definitely worth the move to Xbox One or Playstation 4. That, I won't dispute.

You think it's a huge improvement? I agree that the graphics are better, just not enough to warrant a purchase. When I hear next generation and get a console that is 8 years ahead in technology vs it's predecessor, I guess I expect a lot more.

As for kinect, I have stated before I have zero interest in anything it offers other scanning QR codes. I find it easier to press a button than saying "Xbox command". As for games and the kinect, :rolleyes:

You think it's a huge improvement? I agree that the graphics are better, just not enough to warrant a purchase. When I hear next generation and get a console that is 8 years ahead in technology vs it's predecessor, I guess I expect a lot more.

As for kinect, I have stated before I have zero interest in anything it offers other scanning QR codes. I find it easier to press a button than saying "Xbox command". As for games and the kinect, :rolleyes:
Then why did you purchase the Xbox One? Again, I have no interest in the Kinect either. So I understand where you're coming from. But it sounds like the PS4 was the obvious choice for you, and you purchased the more expensive console anyways, fully intending to completely ignore half the features that made it the more expensive console in the first place. It just makes no sense to me.

You disagree that the graphics for the PC version of BF4 are better than XBone and PS4? Yes, the new generation looks leaps and bounds better than the previous gen, but it's still not even close to what the PC version can do. On PC, you can get nearly double the resolution (2560x1600)

that the PS4 (1600x900) and Xbox One can (1280x720), assuming you meet requirements to play that way. And that's not going into frame rate, which from what I've read is capped at 30fps on both consoles - for Battlefield 4. There's just no question about it. Forgive me if I misread what it was you disagreed with him about it.

If you're a Battlefield player on console, its definitely worth the move to Xbox One or Playstation 4. That, I won't dispute.
Is it really asking too much for people to read a few posts up? I'm not saying that at all. Sheesh.

This kind of thing is inherently subjective, I guess. It's not as huge an improvement as going from the PS2/Xbox to the PS3/360, that's for sure. The jump from SD to HD was massive. But I do think the "new console" BF looks leaps and bounds better than the "old console" BF. The increased player count is nice too.

I did notice some pretty serious framerate drops when I was playing Conquest in Operation Locker though. There was just too much going on around C.

Again - these are first gen games - they're crap compared to the stuff that will be coming out next fall.

Sure PC games have the ability to look better. Graphics aren't everything and you also need a TV that can support those redonkulous specs, not including the PC powerful enough to run it - on top of all that you need the patience and acumen to make it run properly. NOTHING in the PC relm is plug n play - there are always conflicts and issues.

FTR- the human eye cannot distinguish anything above 30fps so that's a moot point.

You disagree that the graphics for the PC version of BF4 are better than XBone and PS4? Yes, the new generation looks leaps and bounds better than the previous gen, but it's still not even close to what the PC version can do. On PC, you can get nearly double the resolution (2560x1600)that the PS4 (1600x900) and Xbox One can (1280x720), assuming you meet requirements to play that way. And that's not going into frame rate, which from what I've read is capped at 30fps on both consoles - for Battlefield 4. There's just no question about it. Forgive me if I misread what it was you disagreed with him about it.

Is it really asking too much for people to read a few posts up? I'm not saying that at all. Sheesh.
Ok. As I stated I wasn't sure if I misread your disagreement. Apparently I did. I should also add to what I said above that I feel that the new consoles are an excellent buy for BF4 if you don't want to spend the money for a computer to run it well. There's no argument with me there.

FTR- the human eye cannot distinguish anything above 30fps so that's a moot point.
I have an experiment for you. Take an emulator and a game that runs at 60 fps, cap it off at 30 fps and tell me that you don't see a difference. BTW I agree with your other points.

You think it's a huge improvement? I agree that the graphics are better, just not enough to warrant a purchase. When I hear next generation and get a console that is 8 years ahead in technology vs it's predecessor, I guess I expect a lot more.As for kinect, I have stated before I have zero interest in anything it offers other scanning QR codes. I find it easier to press a button than saying "Xbox command". As for games and the kinect, :rolleyes:
Then why did you purchase the Xbox One? Again, I have no interest in the Kinect either. So I understand where you're coming from. But it sounds like the PS4 was the obvious choice for you, and you purchased the more expensive console anyways, fully intending to completely ignore half the features that made it the more expensive console in the first place. It just makes no sense to me.
I fully intended to buy the PS4 until MSFT back tracked on requiring the kinect. Not to sound like a FBG but a $100 difference on this type of purchase is not that big of a deal to me when I consider the PS4 would not allow me to use my Harmony One without additional equipment, not a fan of the PS4 controller or the horrible PS network (may be better now, don't now).

2 day old Xbone - brick. So, yeah, not so much. Looks like replacements are going to be really hard to come by, so may have something back up and running in a couple/few weeks.

Not too happy at the moment.

To add: Finally got in touch with support and they indicate a bad PSU. No cross ship available for accessory parts. I have to send in the PSU on my dime, then wait up to 10 business days for them to ship a new one. Looks like I might have a working system by Christmas. Maybe.

Still really not happy.

2 day old Xbone - brick. So, yeah, not so much. Looks like replacements are going to be really hard to come by, so may have something back up and running in a couple/few weeks.

Not too happy at the moment.

To add: Finally got in touch with support and they indicate a bad PSU. No cross ship available for accessory parts. I have to send in the PSU on my dime, then wait up to 10 business days for them to ship a new one. Looks like I might have a working system by Christmas. Maybe.

Still really not happy.
Wow that blows. My wife sent me an email this am asking if I got my X1 yet because a couple of people are already selling theirs on the companies altranet.

Again - these are first gen games - they're crap compared to the stuff that will be coming out next fall.
I was going to post the same thing. I remember the first gen games didn't take advantage of the 360's power until the 2nd year. Launch titles are basically making games for a console that doesn't even exist.

I wouldn't be surprised if consoles begin to go away all together in a few years. Just pay for a service and have them beam the image to you over the internet, and do all the processing at another location.

East Coast Bias said:
I wish the digital versions would go on sale to match the physical ones. I want to buy digitally but I can't make myself pay more for it.
If only there were a way to install the disc based versions we buy on sale as digital versions on our console. Or rather, if only a bunch of whiny gamers hadn't ruined our ability to install the disc based versions we buy on sale as digital versions on our console.

As far as the console itself, there is still some serious work to do with the UI. Am I the only one as bugged by how difficult it is to invite people to a game compared to the way it worked on the 360?

My friend's has a bad optical drive. They're sending him a new one, but who knows when. He asked for some type of compensation and was told having a new one sent was compensation enough. If you pay for something in July and then it doesn't work, why not throw him free xbox live at least?

My friend's has a bad optical drive. They're sending him a new one, but who knows when. He asked for some type of compensation and was told having a new one sent was compensation enough. If you pay for something in July and then it doesn't work, why not throw him free xbox live at least?
After the RROD disaster this isn't too comforting.

After initially working fine, my unit stopped sending a video signal after a couple of hours.

Fortunately, I bought 3. The second one has been working fine, so far. Haven't opened the 3rd yet.

I caved in and picked one up yesterday. Because the Sunday night game tightened up in the second half, I only got to set it up and play with the interface, but not play any actual games. A lot of this has been repeated by other users in here, but I'll chime in as well to echo my own initial experiences.

As for the interface... Wow, the Kinect is an amazing piece of technology. The voice commands work surprisingly well. I wouldn't say it's 100%, but maybe 90%... and 5% of that might be because I'm still getting used to the commands (which aren't that difficult... just a little bit of a learning curve). The overall experience makes you feel like Captain Kirk on the Enterprise. I didn't really get to experience the motion control yet, so no review there.

I initially hooked it up with the cable box running through it which allows the XBox to basically be the central media hub. But I ultimately ended up removing the cable box from the XBox though because I couldn't watch TV unless I had the XBox on which I thought was a little bit of a pain for my uses (does anyone know if there is a way around this? My cable box only has one HDMI slot, so I think I'm stuck here). If I was doing a ton of gaming, then this wouldn't be an issue, but I don't play that many games any more so I think I'm fine without this. Also, I'm planning on getting rid of cable/satellite in a couple months anyways, so this is moot.

I need to pop in a game or BluRay tonight to test out the drive. Assuming the drive works OK, I'm also going to test out the XBox One tablet/phone app they have... it basically allows you to use your tablet/phone as a remote control. I don't think this will be as good as a physical TV remote for movies, but I think I can live with that if it means I can save myself $20 for an aftermarket controller.

Has anyone else tried out the tablet/phone app with Netflix/Hulu yet? :popcorn:

Every consumer electronics product has a certain out-of-the-box failure rate. That's especially true for products that have literally just launched. Obviously your friend is entitled to a replacement, but I would just chalk this up to one of the risks you take in being an early adopter.

East Coast Bias said:
I wish the digital versions would go on sale to match the physical ones. I want to buy digitally but I can't make myself pay more for it.
If only there were a way to install the disc based versions we buy on sale as digital versions on our console. Or rather, if only a bunch of whiny gamers hadn't ruined our ability to install the disc based versions we buy on sale as digital versions on our console.
Yeah, the reason why that got shot down is because in order for it to work, you have to have some kind of strong DRM system in place. Nobody was upset about installing disc-based games to your HD. They were upset about the DRM.

If you want games on your HD, buy digital. Nobody's stopping you.

Something for your friend to try: People have had success in repairing this. Get the game in there out (there is a manual eject). Unplug it. Turn it over and whack it a couple times over the drive system (or hit the system on the ground). Evidently something is stuck with those drives and gets put back with a bit of manual TLC.

Sadly my problem requires a new console - no easy fix.

My xbox could have a faulty drive.. I'll never know. Going all digital this time around. I play so few games now that I can wait for sales that will inevitably come.

I'm not the only one who thinks that MS and Sony will both have to start implementing Steam like sales in the next year am I?

After the RROD disaster this isn't too comforting.
The optical drive was always the cause of most of the problems with my early generation 360. ####### disk read errors.

Looks like MS is trying to make right with the folks with malfunctioning consoles...

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/11/26/users-with-malfunctioning-xbox-ones-compensated-with-free-game
Well, ####. I wasn't offered anything. Or maybe something will come with the new box out of the blue. I guess we'll see.
Gave the chat thing a go and dude there (who was pretty cool) scored me Forza. It will take me forever and a day to download the thing, but it looks awesome, anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread