What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Seahawk Fan Conundrum (to everyone) (1 Viewer)

Which do you prefer if your team were 7-9 like the Seahawks?

• I prefer to make the playoffs even as a long-shot

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I prefer my team get a top-10 draft choice with that kind of record

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

QuizGuy66

Footballguy
Pretty simple premise.

Imagine you are a Seahawk fan (unless of course you ARE a Seahawk fan). Would you rather your team make the playoffs at 7-9, even though they'll be a prohibitive underdog to as much as win 1 game. Or, would you rather finish 6-10 and have a top-10 draft choice?

This is a generic question, that is don't take into account the actual Seahawks personnel situation when answering.

Curious what FBGs think.

-QG

Chip and a chair.

Any given Sunday.

The Arizona Cardinals (then proclaimed the worst playoff team in history) were a few plays away from a Super Bowl.

A puncher's chance.

Compared to: Rick Mirer, Dan McGwire, Koren Robinson

There is no guarantee that the high draft pick will be good or result in what the Seahawks have today: a spot in the tournament.

The playoff berth is worth it just to get the fan-base enthused and believing in Schneider and Carroll.

my teams sucks. next to no chance to win it all. I'm taking the 10 slot jump in every round. Even if they manage to win the WC game (they won't) they get CREAMED in the next round. Thats not worth a substantial jump in draft pick slottage.

I'll take the 7-9 team simply because I know they'd screw up a top-10 pick. This way they're more likely to get a solid-if-unspectacular player and also save some money in the process.

I'd rather be in the playoffs. Although it's highly improbable that they advance past the first round, stranger things have happened.

A top ten pick in the draft is no guarantee.

I'll take the 7-9 team simply because I know they'd screw up a top-10 pick. This way they're more likely to get a solid-if-unspectacular player and also save some money in the process.
Many a competent franchise has thrown a 7-9 out there now and again.-QG

You always want to be in the playoffs. Always.

Having that game at home is just icing on the cake.

Not sure why people wouldn't choose a guaranteed playoff berth over what you might get with better draft positioning. If you have a spot in the playoffs, you take it.

Yes, I think the clock is ticking on their season. But the Saints could definitely lose on the road. If the Packers beat the Eagles (definitely possible) the Seahawks would then go to Chicago. I'm not a huge believer in Chicago; they could serve up enough turnovers to lose that game.

Now, could the Packers go to Atlanta and win? I think they could. That would put the conference championship game in Seattle. I'm not putting money on that scenario, but it's not so implausible that the Seahawks would be better off with a higher draft pick. Anything can happen.

Edit: The only time I can think it *might* benefit a team to not make the playoffs is if a dominant team lost a ton of important players (Brady, BJGE, Woodhead, Branch and Welker let's say) to injury and limped into the post-season with backups, so they could address other needs for when their guys heal up. But even then, you'd still want to try to win four games in a row and claim the title. Brady was the backup at one time and that worked out pretty well.

No, I think you always choose the playoff spot. There are only six available in your conference. That's always better than a higher draft pick imo.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll take the playoffs. Its not your slot in the draft that matters, its who is evaluating the talent available and who is making the picks.

Niners/Seahawks/Rams fans have been asking themselves this for weeks, and I think the general consensus is that the playoffs would be better.

my teams sucks. next to no chance to win it all. I'm taking the 10 slot jump in every round. Even if they manage to win the WC game (they won't) they get CREAMED in the next round. Thats not worth a substantial jump in draft pick slottage.
Couldn't agree less, but you're a Lion fan so I don't hold it against you that you don't know what a home playoff game feels like. As far as the pick vs. playoffs... not even in the same ballpark. So we either get a crapshoot rookie who is 10 slots better, or we get playoff experience for both the players and the fans, ticket sales, and the only NFL game on national TV at its given time for a 2nd straight week. No offense, but how is this even a question??

Not sure why people wouldn't choose a guaranteed playoff berth over what you might get with better draft positioning. If you have a spot in the playoffs, you take it. Yes, I think the clock is ticking on their season. But the Saints could definitely lose on the road. If the Packers beat the Eagles (definitely possible) the Seahawks would then go to Chicago. I'm not a huge believer in Chicago; they could serve up enough turnovers to lose that game.Now, could the Packers go to Atlanta and win? I think they could. That would put the conference championship game in Searle. I'm not putting money on that scenario, but it's not so implausible that the Seahawks would be better off with a higher draft pick. Anything can happen.Edit: The only time I can think it *might* benefit a team to not make the playoffs is if a dominant team lost a ton of important players (Brady, BJGE, Woodhead, Branch and Welker let's say) to injury and limped into the post-season with backups, so they could address other needs for when their guys heal up. But even then, you'd still want to try to win four games in a row and claim the title. Brady was the backup at one time and that worked out pretty well. No, I think you always choose the playoff spot. There are only six available in your conference. That's always better than a higher draft pick imo.
Great post. Seattle will make New Orleans play a great game to win, that's a given. QWEST Field can be brutal to opposing teams, and the playoffs is when it is at it's worst. And they've already beaten the Bears once this season, in Chicago. They are still a longshot, but the Seahawks won't go quietly like people are expecting.

who cares what the record is..... bottom line

The 2010 Seattle Seahawks are the NFC West Champs and hosting a playoff game..... I'll take my team doing that any year over the #8 pick.

The 2010 Seattle Seahawks are the NFC West Champs and hosting a playoff game..... I'll take my team doing that any year over the #8 pick.
I realize that isn't in the poll but it's the right answer. Playoffs are great even as a one and done, but a division championship is forever.

I realize that isn't in the poll but it's the right answer. Playoffs are great even as a one and done, but a division championship is forever.
i guess but its like being the toughest guy on your block when the other dudes on your block are a guy with one arm who has some type of problem with that arm so that it doesnt work right and a pacifist sholin monk who wont fight as good as the guys on deadliest warrior and four blue crabs from deadliest catch who have been out of the water and are dead because you live in the bad part of a middle america city where there is no ocean to speak of yep you might be the toughtest guy on the block but man it wasn't much of a contest and its sort of like that for seatlle

i guess but its like being the toughest guy on your block when the other dudes on your block are a guy with one arm who has some type of problem with that arm so that it doesnt work right and a pacifist sholin monk who wont fight as good as the guys on deadliest warrior and four blue crabs from deadliest catch who have been out of the water and are dead because you live in the bad part of a middle america city where there is no ocean to speak of yep you might be the toughtest guy on the block but man it wasn't much of a contest and its sort of like that for seatlle
You forgot:1. The tough guy from middle america city, has to come to your block to play the game.

2. The one arm guy will be clapping for you to win, you may not hear it but it's there.

3. Your rules, your the Home team. Sorry forgot it's Seattle, they will get ripped off on another bad call against them.

Couldn't agree less, but you're a Lion fan so I don't hold it against you that you don't know what a home playoff game feels like. As far as the pick vs. playoffs... not even in the same ballpark. So we either get a crapshoot rookie who is 10 slots better, or we get playoff experience for both the players and the fans, ticket sales, and the only NFL game on national TV at its given time for a 2nd straight week. No offense, but how is this even a question??
It's called a conditioned response, TenTimes. While its the incorrect answer, the source of it is a decade without a playoff birth, more than a half century without a championship.

Few teams get to be a trivia answer. In the future, when people ask about the worst team to ever suck its way into the playoffs, the answer will be the Seahawks. Now that is immortality.

Chip and a chair.Any given Sunday.The Arizona Cardinals (then proclaimed the worst playoff team in history) were a few plays away from a Super Bowl.A puncher's chance.Compared to: Rick Mirer, Dan McGwire, Koren RobinsonThere is no guarantee that the high draft pick will be good or result in what the Seahawks have today: a spot in the tournament. The playoff berth is worth it just to get the fan-base enthused and believing in Schneider and Carroll.
:goodposting: The year the Colts won the Super Bowl they were getting pounded by everyones running gameThen they got it together, stopped the run, got their own running game going and won it all.

The funny thing is, they might just beat the tough guy from New Orleans. Of course it's unlikely, but at least they have a chance. Besides, the #8 pick isn't neccessarily better than whatever pick they'll get. Only problem with this is the Seahawks are limping into the playoffs.

If the Rams were better they would be in ...

The Hawks are the best team in the NFC west and deserve to be there, if their OL can play a good game they have a chance...

Ill take the playoffs and the chance to win it all ( Not a high probability but if your not in you have no chance , so better be in )

Chip and a chair.Any given Sunday.The Arizona Cardinals (then proclaimed the worst playoff team in history) were a few plays away from a Super Bowl.A puncher's chance.Compared to: Rick Mirer, Dan McGwire, Koren RobinsonThere is no guarantee that the high draft pick will be good or result in what the Seahawks have today: a spot in the tournament. The playoff berth is worth it just to get the fan-base enthused and believing in Schneider and Carroll.
:goodposting: The year the Colts won the Super Bowl they were getting pounded by everyones running gameThen they got it together, stopped the run, got their own running game going and won it all.
But they had P Manning - R Wayne - M Harrison - D Clark etc etc ... But the Hawks are in they have a chance..

I believe they'll still get the pick of a 7-9 team (ahead of Tb and NYG :lmao: ), unless they make it to the SB so it's not that big of a drop. Like someone said in the Seahawks message board, you don't get to raise a banner at the stadium for a better draft pick. Plus with Carroll's wheeling and dealing style I think they'll get the guy they want no matter what.

Maybe it would be a different feeling if it wasn't a division game, win and you're in at home. But I can't fathom being happy about losing the division to a rival at home. Period.

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe they'll still get the pick of a 7-9 team (ahead of Tb and NYG :confused: ), unless they make it to the SB so it's not that big of a drop. Like someone said in the Seahawks message board, you don't get to raise a banner at the stadium for a better draft pick. Plus with Carroll's wheeling and dealing style I think they'll get the guy they want no matter what.Maybe it would be a different feeling if it wasn't a division game, win and you're in at home. But I can't fathom being happy about losing the division to a rival at home. Period.
That's not true. The best they can pick now is #21. Teams get assigned picks based on the round they go out in the playoffs. It was changed to this a few years ago.-QG

How does something like this even cross a fans mind?

OF COARSE IT'S THE PLAY-OFF'S!! You got a ticket to the dance. Anything can happen. The Pats might get K.O'd in the d round... The Saints might get #####slapped by Seattle. Any given Sunday baby! You never know how the cards will fall.

If Im a Seattle fan, I want the draft spot. I know, I know Any Give Sunday and all that, and that's great but let's be real. Hawks are playing the Saints, they already destroyed them once and everyone knows its pretty likely they won't do any better this time around. Is it really worth 10 draft spots to get your @## handed to you in front of the whole country?

If Im a Seattle fan, I want the draft spot. I know, I know Any Give Sunday and all that, and that's great but let's be real. Hawks are playing the Saints, they already destroyed them once and everyone knows its pretty likely they won't do any better this time around. Is it really worth 10 draft spots to get your @## handed to you in front of the whole country?
What do those 10 spots really do for you? They would have had the 8th pick, now the 21st if they lose to the Saints?2010 - McClain vs. Gresham2009 - Monroe vs. Mack2008 - D.Harvey vs. Sam Baker2007 - J.Anderson vs. R. Nelson2006 - Whitner vs. Maroney2005 - Rolle vs. Matt Jones (Okay, maybe it does)2004 - D. Hall vs. Wilfork2003 - Gross vs. Faine2002 - Roy Williams (DB) vs. D. Graham2001 - D.Terrell vs. Clements:lmao: I'll take the playoff game and the 10 players picked at 1.21 instead of the 8 pick.

i think the nfl should institute a rule that if you make the playoffs with a losing record you should have to share the extra revenue associated with having a playoff game with every team in your conference that had a better record but didnt make the playoffs because you were lucky enough to stink up the joint slightly less than the other teams in a crappy division because man teams like that should be at home watching and not playing and i dont even care if they have a fancy roof that moves

Yes.The Pats, Colts, Chargers etc have all done pretty well without picking in the top 2/3 of the draft for a long time, conversely the Rams and Lions haven't turned their teams around with a #9 pick. I'm not comparing the Seahawks to those teams but playoff experience for a new coach and some young players is very valuable and there's plenty of talent to pick in the later slots, especially for a FO willing to wheel and deal. Six of one, half dozen of another.

i think the nfl should institute a rule that if you make the playoffs with a losing record you should have to share the extra revenue associated with having a playoff game with every team in your conference that had a better record but didnt make the playoffs because you were lucky enough to stink up the joint slightly less than the other teams in a crappy division because man teams like that should be at home watching and not playing and i dont even care if they have a fancy roof that moves
Seattle doesn't. Where was all this talk when teams won their division and hosted a team with a better record in wildcard games? It's happened once, not likely to happen again for another 70 years.

As a Bills fan this choice is easy. I would take the playoff spot and a pick outside the top 10. Had this happened a couple years ago maybe we would have gotten Clay Mathews or Michael Oher instead of Aaron Maybin.

Have you posted under another name here? You remind me of someone else. Someone who made up really dumb rules.

As a Seahawk fan I definitely want the playoff spot over the draft position. Last year I was torn about them winning their last game when it didn't mean anything and would just worsen their draft position, but getting into the playoffs is more important for the organization, it's young developing players, and the fan base.

While the Seahawks obviously is not a great team and I don't expect them to beat the Saints, don't forget that the NFC champ has won their first playoff game the last five years...two of them going to the super bowl.

2009: Cardinals (10-5) beat Packers (11-5) and lost to saints (13-3)

2008: Cardinals (9-7) beat Falcons (11-5), Panthers (12-4), Eagles (9-6-1), and lost to Steelers in Super Bowl

2007: Seahawks (10-6) beat Redskins (9-7) and lost to Packers (13-3)

2006: Seahawks (9-7) beat Cowboys (9-7) and lost to Bears in OT (13-3)

2005: Seahawks (13-3) had 1st round bye and beat Redkskins (10-6), Panthers (11-5), and lost to Steelers in Super Bowl

As a Seahawk fan I definitely want the playoff spot over the draft position. Last year I was torn about them winning their last game when it didn't mean anything and would just worsen their draft position, but getting into the playoffs is more important for the organization, it's young developing players, and the fan base. While the Seahawks obviously is not a great team and I don't expect them to beat the Saints, don't forget that the NFC champ has won their first playoff game the last five years...two of them going to the super bowl. 2009: Cardinals (10-5) beat Packers (11-5) and lost to saints (13-3)2008: Cardinals (9-7) beat Falcons (11-5), Panthers (12-4), Eagles (9-6-1), and lost to Steelers in Super Bowl2007: Seahawks (10-6) beat Redskins (9-7) and lost to Packers (13-3)2006: Seahawks (9-7) beat Cowboys (9-7) and lost to Bears in OT (13-3)2005: Seahawks (13-3) had 1st round bye and beat Redkskins (10-6), Panthers (11-5), and lost to Steelers in Super Bowl
In 2004 the Rams beat Seattle in Seattle in the wildcard game, so there's been an NFCW team in the second round of playoffs for the last 6 years.

Seattle doesn't. Where was all this talk when teams won their division and hosted a team with a better record in wildcard games? It's happened once, not likely to happen again for another 70 1 years.
Fixed :lmao: J/K. The thing is the schedule is unbalanced. Teams from different divisions get a different set of opponents and the opponents rotate which is the fairest thing possible. With free agency and everything else, teams can improve (and get worse) quite rapidly so who's to say what schedule is tough or not at the outset of a season. There's also the advantage that some teams get by having poorer and under-performing teams in their division. The Steelers and Ravens got 4 cracks at the Browns and Bengals this year. All the other NFC South teams got to pick on the Panthers twice. The Giants got to play a bunch of teams that ended up not being that good: Vikings, Cowboys (2), Redskins (2), Titans, Texans. Even within the season how strong an opponent changes due to injuries or even a change in management (see Dallas post-Wade). Thus we have the system of divisions. Each of these groups of teams has 14 opponents in common (including each other). It also generally ensures a cross-section of teams from across the country. The wild-cards were added to include worthy teams who may have been stuck in a tougher division this time around. As could probably guess I like the system as-is even with my joke above about the 70 years.Some are making the argument that more games will be meaningful if the wildcards are allowed to be home teams. This is not necessarily the case. For example the Ravens and Steelers would have much less to play for this week if they both were assured a home game regardless. The same goes for the Saints and Falcons.

Anyhow, I'm side-tracking my own topic ;) I voted "yes" for those who were wondering. As a Bengals fans we could be 3-13 and I'd still want the playoff spot - they are just too rare! While the rookie scale will probably change with the new agreement, there's an argument that picking later has a financial advantage as well as it ties up less of your :X as well.

-QG

9 x out of 10 I will agree to take the playoffs. But in this case, as a Bradford fan I really like the higher draft slot. The Rams will get a better choice of one these 5-6 beastly WRs that can help Bradford for seasons to come. The Rams MUST upgrade at WR.

i was just saying that about roofs in general i think fancy moving roofs are only ok for baseball not lord football

How does something like this even cross a fans mind?OF COARSE IT'S THE PLAY-OFF'S!! You got a ticket to the dance. Anything can happen. The Pats might get K.O'd in the d round... The Saints might get #####slapped by Seattle. Any given Sunday baby! You never know how the cards will fall.
There we were...three against a thousand. And we beat all three of them.

I was going to post this, this weekend. The heck with it here it is: Seattle beats The Saints. You heard it here first.

Niners/Seahawks/Rams fans have been asking themselves this for weeks, and I think the general consensus is that the playoffs would be better.
:thumbup: Look at the runs mediocre teams like AZ and NYJ have made the last few years. Once you get there--and in this case, playing at home in Seattle is huge--anything can happen.

Playoffs of course. Especially when you will be making the Saints travel soooooooooooooo far to come play at your house.

We all know the saints road record in playoffs which helps the cause

Users who are viewing this thread