What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

SNL is Friggin' Horrible! Except when Timberlake is hosting. (2 Viewers)

Are we ready for another year of griping about the show?

Season #38 starts tonight. Seth McFarlane is the host.

Wiig is gone.

Sudekis is sticking around until the election for the Romney skits.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pretty funny that Fred Armisen (the "old, terrible SNL Obama") introduced the "new SNL Obama" by saying "I wouldn't want his job."

My problem with SNL is every skit is the same joke over and over and OVER.

Like the puppet one - I got the joke the first time, he's a wacked-out vet. Then they do it again 7 times. Powerfully unfunny.

My problem with SNL is every skit is the same joke over and over and OVER.Like the puppet one - I got the joke the first time, he's a wacked-out vet. Then they do it again 7 times. Powerfully unfunny.
You want them to do 60 1 minute sketches?

My problem with SNL is every skit is the same joke over and over and OVER.Like the puppet one - I got the joke the first time, he's a wacked-out vet. Then they do it again 7 times. Powerfully unfunny.
You can develop sketches and make them more than one gag. Wayne's World wasn't one continual joke about public access tv, or Garth's mom, or living with your parents.It's bad writing. Same as a comedian who can only do one type of joke - see Foxworthy, Jeff.

I wonder if it's just an age thing. I'm 33, and remember when I was in high school (Farley/Spade/Rock, etc. era) every single skit was hilarious. I know that cast was really top notch....but also am I just getting old and certain things just aren't funny any more?

Really? One of the best skits I've seen them do in 5 years.Hader groping the puppet :lmao:

Best monologue in years. No cameos, just Seth being funny.

The lids skit was terrible. I guess there's an Asian with a popular YouTube video? I haven't seen it but I guess the writers have seen it enough to write a skit about it.

I've never checked it out till I saw it on SNL.

Still the best episode I've seen in years by a mile. I don't need Wiig in every skit, this episode proved it.

Really? One of the best skits I've seen them do in 5 years.Hader groping the puppet :lmao:
Yeah definetly one of the better skits in a while. Especially when you consider the degree of difficulty you take on when Kenon Thompson is involved with the skit.Thought Macfarlane was terrific. He really put the effort in and had a wide-range of characters. He upstaged the entire cast outside of Hader.Did think all of the political skits were misfires though. Coming off a break and in the middle of election season they got to bring more then that. That was their funniest take on Eastwood?

A lot funnier when you don't have to somehow find a way to fit one of Wiig's uncomfortable characters in...oh no...she's awkward and talks strange.

I'm so glad she's gone. She'll be great for once and a while hosting but having her in everything just made me sick of her.

A lot funnier when you don't have to somehow find a way to fit one of Wiig's uncomfortable characters in...oh no...she's awkward and talks strange.I'm so glad she's gone. She'll be great for once and a while hosting but having her in everything just made me sick of her.
Great posting. It got to be where she was in every single sketch the last 2 seasons. I was so tired of it. They need to just stop with the political cold opens as well. They are so unfunny.

Watched it last night for the first time in years. I can't believe it's still on being that awful. I didn't laugh one time. The political stuff was just brutally bad.

Watching it on DVR now. You know, they had all summer to write some funny stuff. It's just awful. And who the #### is Frank Ocean?!

Disagree about Wiig, she was possibly the funniest female cast members ever. I can understand putting her in a lot of skits when the rest of the cast is so weak.

This is Bill Hader's show now - if the writing gives him the support they did last night, he could be up to it. Few have ever done edgy & liikeable that well at once. A LOT better than i thought it would be, not because Wiig was so great (though she is), but because they relied on her so much. McFarlane was better than most readers & they did a good job getting me into cultural references that were outside an ol fart's bailliwick. Another eagerweak set of new featured players, it seems....

MacFarlane was a natural. Overall the show was good.

What's going on?/I'm getting old...The Korean rapper and the Weekend Update bit with the fat mom and daughter.

:lmao:Great show. MacFarlane was an excellent how.Hader rulesFrank Ocean channeling Freddy Jackson ... not so much :thumbdown: Wiig = not missed in the least

This is Bill Hader's show now - if the writing gives him the support they did last night, he could be up to it. Few have ever done edgy & liikeable that well at once. A LOT better than i thought it would be, not because Wiig was so great (though she is), but because they relied on her so much. McFarlane was better than most readers & they did a good job getting me into cultural references that were outside an ol fart's bailliwick. Another eagerweak set of new featured players, it seems....
google translate denotes this word as German, but doesn't give a translation :confused: what does this word mean?

google translate denotes this word as German, but doesn't give a translation :confused: what does this word mean?
it's my own word but probably has more facility than any other in describing modern TV comedy. in this case, it stands for the smiley lack of tude new SNL cast members give off, a picking point of mine throughout this thread as one who believes you should already be THERE when you make the bigs. it has also come to stand for the ensickening sitcom trend of adding syllables to weak writing. apparently, TV comedy is unachievable unless everyone speaks three times quicker and infinitely more eagerly than actual human beings. huge sign of weakness & a great help the last couple of seasons in not having to waste more than eight minutes determining the quality of a new show.

'McGarnicle said:
Watching it on DVR now. You know, they had all summer to write some funny stuff. It's just awful. And who the #### is Frank Ocean?!

Disagree about Wiig, she was possibly the funniest female cast members ever. I can understand putting her in a lot of skits when the rest of the cast is so weak.
R&B singer who recently came out as bi-sexual.Thinking About You isn't too bad of a song.

For all the old farts #####ing about the premiere last night:

Psy
Okay, I've watched the video. Can you please explain the appeal here? I'm being serious. Do people love the song? Is it getting played on the radio here in the USA? Do people just like the video? Is the song and/or video funny to people (and if so, are they laughing with the singer or at him)? Forgive me, as I am completely out of touch with pop culture in general these days. TIA.

Psy
Okay, I've watched the video. Can you please explain the appeal here? I'm being serious. Do people love the song? Is it getting played on the radio here in the USA? Do people just like the video? Is the song and/or video funny to people (and if so, are they laughing with the singer or at him)? Forgive me, as I am completely out of touch with pop culture in general these days. TIA.
People like it because it's catchy. I don't know that the explanation is any more complicated than that.

Ok, that Voter film at the beginning was one of the best things to come out of this series in...what...five years?

Psy
What JDogg said it's catchy and to me funny watching a portly dude dance funny and be a ladies man at the same time.

cant remember the last time i was this pleased two wks into an SNL season. of course, my expectations have never been lower coming in. have laughed several times at each ep, been amused more often than not, appreciate their respect for a brevity that the last few seasons have lacked & havent groaned much at all. Hader's the nuts, Killam's got talent and it's gotten so i dont wretch when Pharoah's onscreen. not wonderful, but promising.

Ok, that Voter film at the beginning was one of the best things to come out of this series in...what...five years?
There is just something about Pharoa that i can't stand when he does some skits, its like he's overreacting. I thought his Strahan was painfully bad but his Steven A Smith was perfection imo.The voter piece was pretty mehh to me

Users who are viewing this thread