What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

SNL is Friggin' Horrible! Except when Timberlake is hosting. (1 Viewer)

What was with that gawd awful group last night? I thought that kid was doing an impersonation of Elaine from the Seindfeld episode where she is herking and jerking. And I have never seen a group use turntables as a prop. That ##### up top was just standing there leaning over the tables but not actually touching them. i know the 1200 turntables are outdated but the band comes out dressed in Z Cavarichi straight form the 80s, the mall gloss shoes, the wannabee Michael Jackson Nation jacket, then they use turntables as a prop. Whoever wanted to smack the guy with a shovel, I concur.

Carter was a folksy idiot, Clinton banged fat chicks and Biden's a goof. Obama doesn't really have anything to goof on outside of his politics and smoking. He has the "uhhhhh" thing which they use, but there's not a whole lot there.
A press conference where reporters toss a few softballs at him, where Obama treats them like they are the greatest journalistic questions ever asked. Then Bob Woodward asks him why he rails against the sequester when it was his idea in the first place. Suddenly not only does the President tell him "you're going to regret that" but the other reporters get on Woodward as well (calling him traitor, past his prime, etc). Then back to "so really Mr. President, how have you managed to become the greatest President in history while everyone is fighting against you?" Cut back to Bob Woodward with his 'no really, that was...' before he (Woodward) is carried out by securityAnd that's just the stuff that happened this week. Does a 2018 infomercial about teleprompters not write itself? (This is the TX29, the Cadillac of teleprompters). Obama (with Clinton and Bush) on a special presidential version of Jeopardy? There's hours of comedy gold with this guy.

I think what kills the show now is it is by far the weakest cast I can remember, and the few solid ones they have, they underutilize. Since Kristen Wiig left, there are no more really funny recurring characters, and the show lacks an identity.In the past you could always count on Weekend Update for some laughs, but IMO Seth Myers is the worst they've ever had in that role. Also think back to the black comedians they've had in the past -- Eddie Murphy, Chris Rock, Tracy Morgan. The guy doing Obama is so boring, and the fat one isn't much better. His one really good bit is What's Up With That, but it's rarely on anymore.

I think what kills the show now is it is by far the weakest cast I can remember, and the few solid ones they have, they underutilize. Since Kristen Wiig left, there are no more really funny recurring characters, and the show lacks an identity.In the past you could always count on Weekend Update for some laughs, but IMO Seth Myers is the worst they've ever had in that role. Also think back to the black comedians they've had in the past -- Eddie Murphy, Chris Rock, Tracy Morgan. The guy doing Obama is so boring, and the fat one isn't much better. His one really good bit is What's Up With That, but it's rarely on anymore.
I don't know that I could disagree more. What's Up With That is on every other episode. Pharaoh is an incredible inpressionist. Kristen Wiig's "characters" were the same damn awkward female in EVERY skit.The problem is the writers and ultimately Lorne Michaels. Nothing funny is being written...there's very few ways to make those lines funny...unless you get a guy going off the rails and mocking his own lines...then I might laugh at that.

I don't know that I could disagree more. What's Up With That is on every other episode. Pharaoh is an incredible inpressionist. Kristen Wiig's "characters" were the same damn awkward female in EVERY skit.The problem is the writers and ultimately Lorne Michaels. Nothing funny is being written...there's very few ways to make those lines funny...unless you get a guy going off the rails and mocking his own lines...then I might laugh at that.
Pharoah's impressions are accurate, I just don't find him very funny. He doesn't have much screen presence.Wiig consistently made me laugh and that is more than I can say of this group. I agree that there is very little funny being written, but I'm sure people like Ferrell, Fey and Wiig collaborated with the writers and had the chops to get laughs from marginal material. That's why I blame the weak cast more than the writing. I do think some of them show promise though.

Pharoah's impressions are accurate, I just don't find him very funny. He doesn't have much screen presence.Wiig consistently made me laugh and that is more than I can say of this group. I agree that there is very little funny being written, but I'm sure people like Ferrell, Fey and Wiig collaborated with the writers and had the chops to get laughs from marginal material. That's why I blame the weak cast more than the writing. I do think some of them show promise though.
Not to defend the latest crew of comedians...I'm just saying, there's no reason to elevate the likes of Wiig. I never enjoyed a moment of her on screen.The writers are the failing and have been for many, many years...

Seth Myers is awful. Not Colin Quinn bad, but not good. Wish they'd get a new head writer. I think the cast is pretty good, apart from a few weak links like Moynihan.

I sometimes wonder if I'm watching the same show as everyone else.Myers is one of the best Weekend Update hosts the show has ever had -- not one of the worst.

Good point on pharoah. His impressions are excellent, as good as hader. But once you get over the laugh of "oh, he's doing Obama!" There isn't much left to laugh at. Hader was given some other roles that didn't have to do with impressions and it has worked out well.

I sometimes wonder if I'm watching the same show as everyone else.Myers is one of the best Weekend Update hosts the show has ever had -- not one of the worst.
He's a one-trick pony. The jokes and his smug delivery are very predictable to me. The best moments of WU have been the guests...the blind governor, drunk Rick Perry, Stefon, annoying girl at a party, mayor Bloomberg.

He's a one-trick pony. The jokes and his smug delivery are very predictable to me. The best moments of WU have been the guests...the blind governor, drunk Rick Perry, Stefon, annoying girl at a party, mayor Bloomberg.
Couldn't agree more. He is smooth, on time and doesn't make many mistakes. But, he comes off as smug, which I wouldn't care much about if he was actually funny and some of the punch lines are predictable. I think this season has been particularly bad. He was always good for a few laughs, but I don't think I laughed once during WU last night. I'd like to see him do well because he does a lot for charity outside of the show. I can't imagine he is filthy rich, but he is very generous with his time and money with charity.

Good Lord... the smugness is shtick. And he does it masterfully.Nobody hated David Spade for using the same technique.
Interesting comparison.I love David Spade (especially his smug zingers) but have zero interest in watching Seth Myers do anything. Guess screen presence and charisma have something to do with it.

A song being really popular has zero correlation to it being any good or being remembered in 5 years. Most of popular music is a giant morass of crap.
If you're going to judge based on what you saw on TV that's fine. To each their own. But if you want a
it wouldn't hurt to check out his stuff on YouTube.

Bobby Moynihan makes me laugh but having him as your lead funny guy is like the Dolphins wheeling out Hartline as their WR1, the upside just isn't there. Vanessa Bayer just creeps me out. She is tough to look at and yes she can be funny but again there is a big creepy factor there.

Who is Seth Myers better than?Not Amy & Tina. Not Norm MacDonald. Not Dennis Miller. How do you elevate the guy to an all-time great when he's the worst in a decade at least?

Who is Seth Myers better than?

Not Amy & Tina.

Not Norm MacDonald.

Not Dennis Miller.

How do you elevate the guy to an all-time great when he's the worst in a decade at least?
I definitely think he was an upgrade. Those two injected a lot of their own political biases and Seth usually walks the middle of the road or at least throws punches a little more equal. But that's fine you like them, I enjoy them both in the sitcoms, great hosts of the Golden Globes. Norm McDonald is far from everyone's cup of tea, Seth appeals to a much larger audience than Norm ever will. And I agree that Dennis Miller was terrific but you are going back 20 years now.

Good list here, though I'd move him up to #4 and bump Akroyd/Curtin out of the Top-5.http://chaddotson.com/2011/12/weekend-update-anchors-best-to-worst/

'knightmcgee said:
No way should Seth be ranked higher than Tina Fey.
These things are subjective, you know. Except for Colin Quinn being terrible. That's factual.
I must be the only person who likes Colin Quinn. Of course, a very large part of that is the memories of Kari Wuhrer on Remote Control.
I was speaking only of his stint as the Weekend Update anchor. He's hilarious at roasts.

Tina and Amy were at least several billion times better/funnier than Seth. Any list which suggests otherwise is communist propaganda.

Generally, I completely agree with the broads aren't funny sentiment; but Tina Fey is pretty well a fool-proof case of a counterexample; I don't see how anyone can find her to be unfunny. I personally think Amy Poehler is pretty damn funny too, but I can understand those who disagree.

Generally, I completely agree with the broads aren't funny sentiment; but Tina Fey is pretty well a fool-proof case of a counterexample; I don't see how anyone can find her to be unfunny. I personally think Amy Poehler is pretty damn funny too, but I can understand those who disagree.
They're both great. I just like being difficult.

I thought Cheri Oteri was a riot also. Women in skits are fine. I generally don't like females doing standup though.Lisa Lampanelli is one exception.

In a long line of terrible efforts, this is probably the worst episode I've ever seen - and that is saying something....and Kevin Hart wouldn't know funny if it bit him in the ###.

'Ministry of Pain said:
'Aaron Rudnicki said:
Who is Seth Myers better than?

Not Amy & Tina.

Not Norm MacDonald.

Not Dennis Miller.

How do you elevate the guy to an all-time great when he's the worst in a decade at least?
I definitely think he was an upgrade. Those two injected a lot of their own political biases and Seth usually walks the middle of the road or at least throws punches a little more equal. But that's fine you like them, I enjoy them both in the sitcoms, great hosts of the Golden Globes. Norm McDonald is far from everyone's cup of tea, Seth appeals to a much larger audience than Norm ever will. And I agree that Dennis Miller was terrific but you are going back 20 years now.
Don't think I've ever heard someone say, "Seth Meyers had this great line."Norm on the other hand is an all-timer.

I've already criticized Meyers, but that was as head writer. Perfectly serviceable WU anchor, mostly because he respects the news as much as the joke, as a good comedy anchor should. But it's become clear that he needs Jim Downey in his ear in the writing or he becomes formuliac. Norm McDonald had incredible moments on Update, because few can do more with an opportunity for ridicule, but he was a terrible anchor. There's more to deconstructing than laying a form to waste. Miller & Chase were royalty, beyond that i prefer the teams cuz you can do more.On the other subject, men are more often funny, of course, but women more valuable (and far more subversive) when they are.

Norm was my favorite. I understand the criticisms of him, but I just really like his brand of humor and I laughed at the uncomfortable moments he created (intentionally more often than not), where others didn't get it and just felt uncomfortable. I liked the unpredictability.Dennis Miller would be a very close second.

Norm was my favorite. I understand the criticisms of him, but I just really like his brand of humor and I laughed at the uncomfortable moments he created (intentionally more often than not), where others didn't get it and just felt uncomfortable. I liked the unpredictability.Dennis Miller would be a very close second.
:goodposting:

No love for that WU sketch with the Russian Woman from the meteor site?

(from two weeks ago)

Thought that was one of the best little sketches in a while.

And, yes, I agree that this last episode was horrendous.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread