What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

SNL is Friggin' Horrible! Except when Timberlake is hosting. (4 Viewers)

Right, the sketch was funny because it was just so random. It's not something that's really repeatable.
You could have David S. Pumpkins be in a background scene...just sitting there...maybe see the back of his head or just the arm of his suit visible and it'd be funny.

Just completely randomize him...if you do anything at all.

But to ride the wave...ugh...just constantly trying to squeeze the life out of everything is very telling about their leadership.

Time to retire the old man...he's basically Al Davis at this point.

His creativity definitely is...
Age and Faye/Ferrell ruined him.

From everything i understand - and i still follow closely because, as modern culture's greatest touchstone, SNL has always been as close to a religious observance as i've had as an adult - Michaels' greatest talent was for being the eye of the hurricane. Not only was he the calm repository of knowledge and judgement at the center of turbulent brilliance but he knew how to keep the most dynamic kinds of genius whipped up and at each other. That's comedy, a force against ourselves.

There is also the funny - keen, calm, detached observation of how ridiculous we are. Ferrell and Faye were brilliant at that and also happened to be nice people who preferred to work in order over chaos. I enjoy both comedy & the funny quite well, almost equally, but only one is self-perpetuating, a force, an art. That's why comedy is currently limited, impotent against the comedy of Donald Trump when it should be what is bringing it down, and peopled by nice, good kids and writers from Harvard. Lorne Michaels, settling into the natural patterns of his age when Faye/Ferrell came along, bought in and comedy has shrunk from three rings to one without a master insisting upon the Greatest Show on Earth.

Fake auditions are always great.  Definitely dig Heidi Gardner's Kristen Schaal.

This may be the first host ever that I literally know zero about.  (I guess Gal Gadot was close.)  the beginning of the monologue seemed like  it was not going to work, but it grew on me.  Gamer sketch seemed like it was just going to be super derivative of David Pumpkins and Kevin Roberts, but developed a little better than expected.

Chance the Rapper with Eminem next week should be interesting.

DNC sketch very good.  Maybe the departure of Kelly/Schneider will lead to a little less partisanship.

Continuation of the meta-schtick with Kyle/Leslie, Beck and Colin is great.

Long Ball Larry said:
Fake auditions are always great.  Definitely dig Heidi Gardner's Kristen Schaal.

This may be the first host ever that I literally know zero about.  (I guess Gal Gadot was close.)  the beginning of the monologue seemed like  it was not going to work, but it grew on me.  Gamer sketch seemed like it was just going to be super derivative of David Pumpkins and Kevin Roberts, but developed a little better than expected.

Chance the Rapper with Eminem next week should be interesting.

Long Ball Larry said:
DNC sketch very good.  Maybe the departure of Kelly/Schneider will lead to a little less partisanship.

Continuation of the meta-schtick with Kyle/Leslie, Beck and Colin is great.
Solid episode. I knew nothing of Tiffany Haddish, but I liked her. She was really fun-also pretty hot. 

Loved Tiffany Haddish’s monologue.  And that the show booker her as host.  There’s a lot of people with more fame and less talent they could have brought in.

Thought Weekend Update KILLED.  Michael Che has really grown on me. Claire From HR was brilliantly executed (YMMV, but I’ve worked at companies that had HR Directors who carried themselves exactly like Claire), and Jost has that Meyers-ian quality of selling commentary jokes.  

All the taped pieces they ran this week seemed to drain the energy in the studio as the show progressed.  But if you stuck with it, the ten-to-one with McKinnon and Haddish improvising with kittens destroyed.  

The Vintage episode this week is the Christmas episode from 2005. Jack Black hosting, Neil Young musical guest.

It’s a significant show in SNL history because of “Lazy Sunday”, the first Lonely Island Digital Short to hit.

What a deep cast they had that season.  

No doubt, Heidi and Chris redd have been stepping it up of the course of the season.      
:goodposting:   Thought Redd’s Fresh Prince digital short from a couple weeks back should have been “cut for time”, but he’s getting a lot more comfortable on stage.  IMO he was really good in the flight attendant sketch.

Alex Moffat is finding his way, too.  He nails regional accents, and that “Guy Who Just Bought A Boat” commentary on WU requires keeping time three different ways to work and he pulls it off.

I’m rooting for Villasenor (IMO she’s the forgotten hero of the “Welcome To Hell” video), but I’m not sure she’s going to make it.  At least they don’t have her busting out her Owen Wilson impression whenever she’s in a sketch.

Will Ferrell looks like he's been burning the candle at both ends. I won't be surprised if we read about him taking a 28 day sabbatical to treat "exhaustion" sometime this year.

Wow, live again tonight.  That's 4 weeks in a row.  That doesn't seem very common to me (though in the fall of the 2016 election they did a ton of eps, I want to say 10 of 11 weeks or something).

Wow, live again tonight.  That's 4 weeks in a row.  That doesn't seem very common to me (though in the fall of the 2016 election they did a ton of eps, I want to say 10 of 11 weeks or something).
Yeah Lorne usually likes a to take a week off after three live shows.  Thought the fatigue showed in the sketches.  The filmed material was good and Weekend Update was strong (though I would rather have seen an interview with Ruth Bader Ginsburg about why she skipped SOTU than trotting Optimist Willie out again), but when a sketch like "it's an alien where his face is his butt and his butt is his face" makes it past dress it's time to take a week off.  

(though I would rather have seen an interview with Ruth Bader Ginsburg about why she skipped SOTU
yeah, i was totally ready for this to happen when Che did the story, though then I realized that she usually comes in on Colin's side.

I liked the monologue concept.  Always nice to see something different.

Also, as a semi-related aside, in case anyone hasn't seen, AP Bio is a new Lorne-produced sitcom on NBC starring Glenn Howerton and Patton Oswalt and created by SNL vet Mike O'Brien and also produced by Seth Meyers.  Thought the first ep was pretty funny.  The next 2 are on the NBC app, though it's not broadcast again until the end of the month.

yeah, i was totally ready for this to happen when Che did the story, though then I realized that she usually comes in on Colin's side.

I liked the monologue concept.  Always nice to see something different.

Also, as a semi-related aside, in case anyone hasn't seen, AP Bio is a new Lorne-produced sitcom on NBC starring Glenn Howerton and Patton Oswalt and created by SNL vet Mike O'Brien and also produced by Seth Meyers.  Thought the first ep was pretty funny.  The next 2 are on the NBC app, though it's not broadcast again until the end of the month.
I laughed out loud at the AP Bio pilot several times, but wasn’t sure if I was too inside baseball to recommend it.  

I nominate "Migos" for worst musical guest in SNL history. Less talent than the fifth best finisher in the Talent Show of any high school in America. Gong Show worthy.

####ting in your lamp was just stupid enough to be really funny to me.

The fact it was 1:00 am may have helped.

Mulaney was a favored SNL writer starting to get some time on-camera doing Weekend Update commentaries as himself.  There was an opportunity to add Mulaney to the cast as a featured player and have him either co-anchor Weekend Update with Seth Meyers or have a weekly commentary slot like A. Whitney Brown and Al Franken had back in the day, but it didn't happen.  So instead of having Mulaney at the WU desk seasoned and ready to take over the lead chair when Seth Meyers got Late Night, they tried Cecily Strong as Seth's co-anchor during his last few months, and promoted Colin Jost to the cast and WU when Meyers left the show.    

ETA: Just wanted to reiterate that John Mulaney is ####### hilarious.  His re-enactment of the pitch meeting for Back To The Future had me laughing so hard I had to replay it a couple times to catch all the jokes.  I'm a few months removed from a painfully inept 9-hour flight delay at the hands of Delta Air Lines, so his bit about Delta's complete absence of helpfulness through a delay just destroyed with me.  And that bit about meeting Bill Clinton, where he kept interrupting the story to describe a scene from The Fugitive, is genius.   
Former show writer John Mulaney will take the hosting reins on April 14 with music from Jack White.

Liked his drop-in as Stefon’s lawyer.  

On either Comeback Kid or New In Town, Mulaney has a bit about wanting to use the word “midget” on a joke he wrote for an awards show, and the conversation he had with Standards & Practices about it.  Liked how he brought some of that back for Stefon, given how many times Stefon has enountered midgets little people in New York’s hottest clubs.

Users who are viewing this thread