What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

SNL is Friggin' Horrible! Except when Timberlake is hosting. (2 Viewers)

Apparently Shane Gillis has a fairly strong history of racist, sexist and homophobic jokes and topics...
He issued a phony apology the other day, basically saying "I've told thousands of bad jokes, so what if a few of them were racist?"

I've always felt that comedians who go for the racist/homophobic jokes are no different than comedians who use curse words to get cheap laughs. It's just a sign that you're not very talented and that you can't come up with better material.

How many "it's funny because they're gay!" bits has the show done in the last few years?  Never understood why those are okay (or funny, for that matter).

How many "it's funny because they're gay!" bits has the show done in the last few years?  Never understood why those are okay (or funny, for that matter).
They just edit those out in future airings. Just like the black face skits.

Pete Davidson has quite a life.  Goes from banging Ariana Grande to Kate Beckinsale and now to Andie MacDowell's daughter, plus somehow is allowed to miss the season premiere due to some unknown role in the new Suicide Squad.

Pete Davidson has quite a life.  Goes from banging Ariana Grande to Kate Beckinsale and now to Andie MacDowell's daughter, plus somehow is allowed to miss the season premiere due to some unknown role in the new Suicide Squad.
and the guy is only mildly amusing,

crappy "Jimmy Fallon I am ####ty in skits and laugh during them because it's 'cute'" guy act.  

face tats to come.  

Good thing he missed it or i mighta laughed at sumn and got sucked into watching next week. Can't miss a season premiere, but oy................

Another thing - the music guest. Five years ago i had to listen to chick singers screaming & trilling like banshee Idols. Now every chick singer sounds like the shaky girls who wont stop their oblivious mumblesinging at the methadone clinic

Good thing he missed it or i mighta laughed at sumn and got sucked into watching next week. Can't miss a season premiere, but oy................

Another thing - the music guest. Five years ago i had to listen to chick singers screaming & trilling like banshee Idols. Now every chick singer sounds like the shaky girls who wont stop their oblivious mumblesinging at the methadone clinic
i get it but billie is really something different, imho.  she is a unique soul and i wouldn't be so quick to write her off.

and didn't taran get let go a few years ago because he wanted to do a side project?  and others have been told similar in the past.  so weird.

Mulaney was a favored SNL writer starting to get some time on-camera doing Weekend Update commentaries as himself.  There was an opportunity to add Mulaney to the cast as a featured player and have him either co-anchor Weekend Update with Seth Meyers or have a weekly commentary slot like A. Whitney Brown and Al Franken had back in the day, but it didn't happen.  So instead of having Mulaney at the WU desk seasoned and ready to take over the lead chair when Seth Meyers got Late Night, they tried Cecily Strong as Seth's co-anchor during his last few months, and promoted Colin Jost to the cast and WU when Meyers left the show.    

ETA: Just wanted to reiterate that John Mulaney is ####### hilarious.  His re-enactment of the pitch meeting for Back To The Future had me laughing so hard I had to replay it a couple times to catch all the jokes.  I'm a few months removed from a painfully inept 9-hour flight delay at the hands of Delta Air Lines, so his bit about Delta's complete absence of helpfulness through a delay just destroyed with me.  And that bit about meeting Bill Clinton, where he kept interrupting the story to describe a scene from The Fugitive, is genius.   
this is pretty cool.  Playlist of John Mulaney starring AND writing sketches

Thanks!  Based on Mulaney's standup, I assume any Law & Order sketch or WU joke while he was there was written by him - there's a solid sketch about a Law & Order-specific acting class with Amy Poehler as the instructor and Jake Gyllenhall as one of the students - nice to have this playlist to see what other stuff was his.     

That Girl Scout Cookies bit on WU is the first time I remember seeing Mulaney perform.  It's as raw as I remembered it.
But compare Kid Gorgeous to Lobby Baby and IMO you can see how much Mulaney has evolved past Meyers as a comedian and performer.  Mulaney has come a loooong way.      

Every Stefon Ever...

Bill Hader is so great. I love how he is constantly losing it in the middle of these bits.
The story I heard is that he knew the beginnings to all of the jokes.  But the last bit was something he hadn't heard and was reading it for the first time.  And the writer's were trying to make him break.  So with each joke having like three parts to it, you can always see where he starts to lose it.  And they said he would sometimes just lose it because he knew something weird was coming.  Him covering his face became a staple of Stefon, but it's what he originally used to cover his laugh.  

Michael Che taking some heat for his Kanye and Bruce joke. 
I predicted this a long time ago but it's nice to see it finally happening.  When the PC Police first came around, it was a universal thing where the angry mob turned on everyone outside.  But that small group has begun to become a much larger group and when that happens, it was only a matter of time before they turned on each other.  I've seen it so much over the past 2 years and I love it.

I honestly feel like it'll be the reason the PC Police are finally dismissed and we can get back to laughing at things.

Every Stefon Ever...

Bill Hader is so great. I love how he is constantly losing it in the middle of these bits.
The story I heard is that he knew the beginnings to all of the jokes.  But the last bit was something he hadn't heard and was reading it for the first time.  And the writer's were trying to make him break.  So with each joke having like three parts to it, you can always see where he starts to lose it.  And they said he would sometimes just lose it because he knew something weird was coming.  Him covering his face became a staple of Stefon, but it's what he originally used to cover his laugh.  
How Seth Myers keeps it is amazing. I know he's off camera, but I would be bursting out laughing.

Would love to see something more with Stefan and Zoolander.

The Stefon bits were primarily written by Hader and John Mulaney.  When Hader came back to host, Mulaney also came back to write Stefon with him.  Hader created the essence of the character and a lot of the sound effects and voice work (like Donald Duck waking up from a Vietnam nightmare) are pulled from Hader messing around trying to crack up the writers and cast.  The bulk of the inhabitants of the clubs are from Mulaney’s combo of being a walking encyclopedia of pop culture, an English major, and having an awesome send of humor,

Mulaney and Hader have talked a bit in interviews about how their process evolved.  Basically, the farther along they are in the sketch, the less Hader knows about what is coming, and once inside the third club Hader is usually flying blind.  

also, seth meyers was on Stern the other day and mentioned that Jost is the one who first found Che and suggested that he be brought in as a guest writer.  this was before the daily show.  Che was apparently the first guest writer that ever stuck with the show.  And he is supposedly a great sketch writer.  I can't remember which sketch meyers referenced, but he brought up a really good sketch that was written by che.

i figured out why the field of Democratic presidential candidates keeps growing instead of winnowing. it's all a Lorne Michaels plot to have long debate sketches to absorb 20 minute blocs of time within his wornout Saturday night mediocrity cavalcade with ovations for his friends' celeb cameos as contenders in place of actual comedy writing

Users who are viewing this thread