What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Patrick Peterson (LSU KR/CB) declares for draft (proj. Top 5) (1 Viewer)

Peterson declares

Peterson wouldn't be paid during the lockout, but could still receive money from whatever agency he signs with. The obstacles with the NFL, however, didn't deter Peterson from declaring.

"I got pretty good advice ... I don't think it's going to be a lockout," he said. "This decision was a no brainer."
Not quite sure if there is any meat to the Peterson quote, or if that's just an agent trying to hook him while he can... But interesting nonetheless.

Last edited by a moderator:
Getting good advice about declaring for the draft != hinting about there not being a lockout. Not sure why that website tried to lead that way with the headline.

Great talent. I do think he could make a better FS than corner, however.

Anyone that questions Julio Jones, should watch the LSU/Bama game.

This appears to be the only Patrick Peterson thread...

In IDP and/or ST scoring leagues, if he does end up being an actual, used, useful offensive player as the Cards are hinting at, does Peterson bring double value if he gets offensive stats as well as his defensive and ST stats?

This appears to be the only Patrick Peterson thread...

In IDP and/or ST scoring leagues, if he does end up being an actual, used, useful offensive player as the Cards are hinting at, does Peterson bring double value if he gets offensive stats as well as his defensive and ST stats?
Not in our age old IDP leagues.

Offensive players get points for offensive stats/roles. Defensive players get stats for defensive stats/roles. Only ST returns work for for both.

If you wanted Peterson (or Deion Sanders) to have value as a receiver, you would have to also start him at a WR spot.

I jumped the gun by moving up in my dynasty draft to get Peterson only to realize that (according to the rules) he will score nothing for his offensive production.

it depends on your league settings. In one league I'm in Defense gets points for offensive plays as well as offense gets points for tackling (like after an interception, or your kicker if they stop someone from going to the house) It makes things quite interesting, but I like it.

Patrick Peterson likened to Deion Sanders, Bo Jackson

By Chris Wesseling

Around the League Writer

Is this the year it all comes together for Patrick Peterson as one of the NFL's true difference-makers?

Realizing he had "a lot of weapon" going to waste, Arizona Cardinals coach Bruce Arians already has installed a package of 15 offensive plays for the Pro Bowl cornerback.

Cardinals general manager Steve Keim insists he's never been a part of a team with a more valuable defensive player. Keim even compares Peterson to two of the most dynamic athletes ever to play American professional sports.

"From an ability standpoint, I've never seen anything like him. He's the closest thing in the league to a Bo Jackson, a Deion Sanders," Keim recently told Robert Klemko of TheMMQB.com. "I've seen him stand on the field flatfooted and throw the ball 65-70 yards. He goes out to practice as a wideout, and runs a 10- and 15-yard out as well as anyone on our team. His value to our team is really unparalleled."

Although Peterson's game hasn't quite lived up to his reputation, it's unfair to label Keim's statement as hyperbole. As an NFL cornerback, Peterson is an anomaly. You just don't see 6-foot-1, 220-pound corners in today's pass-heavy game -- much less one who threatened Chris Johnson's NFL Scouting Combine record in the 40-yard dash.

Peterson is one of the rare cornerbacks used to shadow No. 1 receivers around the field. If he's going to meet Keim's expectations, he will have to become more consistent in locking down those wideouts.

The Around The League Podcast is now on iTunes! Listen to the latest episode featuring Rich Eisen.

Rotoworld:

Julio Jones caught 10 passes for a career-high 189 yards with one touchdown in Sunday's 29-18 Week 13 win over the Cardinals.

Earlier in the week, Patrick Peterson said he wanted Jones in coverage. Peterson got his wish and also got humiliated. Julio dog-walked his former SEC rival all over the field, going for 8-132-1 in the first half before the Falcons bled the clock out in the second half. It's a reminder that Jones is both unstoppable and always gets a massive boost when Roddy White sits, as he did today. The Falcons have a difficult spot at Green Bay next Monday night, yet Julio will still be an easy top-8 wideout play.

Nov 30 - 7:08 PM

Faust said:
Rotoworld:

Julio Jones caught 10 passes for a career-high 189 yards with one touchdown in Sunday's 29-18 Week 13 win over the Cardinals.

Earlier in the week, Patrick Peterson said he wanted Jones in coverage. Peterson got his wish and also got humiliated. Julio dog-walked his former SEC rival all over the field, going for 8-132-1 in the first half before the Falcons bled the clock out in the second half. It's a reminder that Jones is both unstoppable and always gets a massive boost when Roddy White sits, as he did today. The Falcons have a difficult spot at Green Bay next Monday night, yet Julio will still be an easy top-8 wideout play.

Nov 30 - 7:08 PM
:lmao:

Rotoworld:

CB Patrick Peterson has stood out during the Cardinals' offseason program.

Peterson blamed blood-sugar issues for his poor play last season. With those issues under control, Peterson is down 13 pounds and reportedly playing like a shutdown corner again. After Antonio Cromartie bolted in free agency, Arizona needs Peterson at top form to remain an elite defensive unit.

Source: Arizona Republic
Jun 13 - 11:52 AM

Patrick Peterson believes the new defensive scheme will free him up to make more interceptions.

Peterson has just one season with more than three interceptions, and he picked off only one pass last year. "I’m just looking forward to getting back to my play-making ways because I believe over the last two and a half, three years, I’ve been kind of handcuffed in doing that," Peterson said. "But now, coach [Al] Holcomb and coach [Steve] Wilks are going do a great job of finding ways to install me into the game." Behind what should be a blitz-happy front, Peterson should have more opportunities to jump passes and make plays this season.

Source: Arizona Republic 

Jul 3 - 9:15 AM

CBS Sports' Bryant McFadden reports Patrick Peterson's "ideal trade destination" is the Saints, while the Patriots and Eagles have also showed interested in acquiring Peterson.

The Cardinals have been adamant that Peterson won't be traded, but Peterson has requested a trade and "wants out" of the desert. Arizona has zero use for Peterson as the worst team in the league in a complete rebuild. Peterson offers this organization more value by bringing in draft picks/young players to aid in the process while he's still in his prime and can fetch a nice haul. Still 28, Peterson is signed through 2020. Peterson played his college ball at LSU.

Related: Patriots, Saints, Eagles

Oct 22 - 6:20 PM

I don't think any of the 3 teams named are anywhere close on the requisite salary cap space to trade for Peterson. Although I am sure they can figure out something to make it work if they are really motivated.

Come to Houston and reunite with Honey Badger Peterson!

Arizona should undeniably deal him. They should be looking to deal him, Johnson and Chandler Jones.

Probably will be difficult to get much of anything for Johnson if they're able to deal him. Undeniably a good overall weapon, he hasn't put much on tape running the football in nearly 2 years. 

Chargers should be beating down the door to add Peterson.  Would give him 2 weeks to get ready and Bosa supposedly ready as well.  

CBS Sports' Bryant McFadden reports Patrick Peterson's "ideal trade destination" is the Saints,...
This would be so incredibly fantastic for all involved... and so seemingly impossible. I'd guess two 1's would be required (and the Saints already spent 2 on Davenport...), plus the cap room...

Not sure about finances but it seems like the Saints, Panthers, Eagles, Chargers, Chiefs would all be make sense. Colts are my dark horse. Irsay has been known to be bold and I honestly think the Colts can make a surge and win that division this year.

I don't think any of the 3 teams named are anywhere close on the requisite salary cap space to trade for Peterson. Although I am sure they can figure out something to make it work if they are really motivated.

Come to Houston and reunite with Honey Badger Peterson!
Eagles have $10.4M in space.

King of the Jungle said:
Are you referring to John Dorsey? If so, why would the Browns make that trade?
Yea and whoops.  Ken was a qb no?

Anyway, to answer your ?, why the hell not?  Peterson is about the best cb in the nfl.  Pair him w/ ward for 5 yrs.  I'm not talking about a 1st, and don't know what his contract looks like moving forward.  That would take our D from good to great.  Much like many other teams.

Snotbubbles said:
Eagles have $10.4M in space.
Doesn't look like the website I looked at yesterday had Fletcher Cox's restructuring from a few weeks ago taken into account. If the $10M is correct, it would cost over $7M to trade for Peterson, doable depending on what their Likely To Be Earned incentives look like for the rest of the team. That doesn't leave much room, but they can probably squeeze out some dollars somewhere as I said before

If they did get him, it makes their salary cap picture next year which is crazy, even crazier. Foles being gone gets them back barely under the cap and there's other salaries they can definitely trim, but you'd be adding another $11M on top to find with the big numbers to trim that they are already dealing with.

If he's going to a contender, then for sure this doesn't matter, but the Jets have a ton of cap space and a huge need.  

Doesn't look like the website I looked at yesterday had Fletcher Cox's restructuring from a few weeks ago taken into account. If the $10M is correct, it would cost over $7M to trade for Peterson, doable depending on what their Likely To Be Earned incentives look like for the rest of the team. That doesn't leave much room, but they can probably squeeze out some dollars somewhere as I said before

If they did get him, it makes their salary cap picture next year which is crazy, even crazier. Foles being gone gets them back barely under the cap and there's other salaries they can definitely trim, but you'd be adding another $11M on top to find with the big numbers to trim that they are already dealing with.
overthecap.com has the Eagles, for 2019 over by $6.3M, but Foles coming off saves $18.8M so they will be under the cap by $12.5M just on that move alone.  I also expect this to be the last year of Jason Peters ($8M), Chris Long ($5.3M) and Wisniewski ($3M).  They should be fine.  The real question is what is the trade cost.

The New York Daily News' Manish Mehta reports the Cardinals "fielded an inquiry" from the Jets regarding CB Patrick Peterson.

Coach Todd Bowles was Peterson's defensive coordinator in Arizona before he left to take the Jets' job, so there is obviously familiarity there and would be a seamless transition for Peterson. However, Mehta adds "barring a miracle" Peterson will not be dealt to the Jets. Arizona doesn't seem to want to truly trade Peterson, but it makes a whole lot of sense to do so.

Related: Jets

Source: Manish Mehta on Twitter 

Oct 23 - 8:15 PM

Patrick Peterson - DB -  Cardinals

NBC Boston's Tom Curran reports the Patriots haven't "had a single conversation about making a deal" for Patrick Peterson, and he won't be traded to New England.

As Curran points out, it's not that the Patriots aren't interested; they just can't get him under the salary cap. Peterson carries cap hits of $14.9 million, $11.8 million, and $13.1 million the next three years, including this season. He's owed $687,500 per game in 2018. It's a "waste of time" trying to figure out how it would work for the Patriots, a source tells Curran. Peterson has also been linked to the Saints, Eagles, and Jets in recent days, though the Saints just acquired Eli Apple.

Related: Patriots

Source: NBC Boston 

Oct 24 - 12:19 PM

Steelers gaining cap space literally by the day plus the savings from cutting landry jones makes too much sense. Next year bell and shazier are totally off the books

Trade a first or second round pick to win now. Peterson is a known commodity and whomever would be drafted at the end of the round is not. 

Mike Jurecki of the Cardinals' official website says there's "zero chance" the team trades CB Patrick Peterson.

Peterson seems resigned to the fact after initially requesting a trade. He released a statement on Wednesday, saying, "I've been incredibly frustrated with how the season has gone. But my energy is 100% focused on being part of the solution & helping us turn this around. ... I have always given my all to the Cardinals organization, my teammates & fans. That is what I intend to do for the years to come." It sounds like we can squash all of those Peterson trade rumors.

Source: Mike Jurecki on Twitter

Oct 24 - 1:50 PM

Users who are viewing this thread