What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Is Ben Roethlisberger as good as Tom Brady? (1 Viewer)

Evilgrin 72

Distributor of Pain
I'm not buying it, but Joyner is a guy I like to read because he backs up his assertions and evaluations with numbers that (IMO) often tell the story of a player's season/career better than raw "glamour" stats. I'm not personally putting Roethlisberger with Brady, but it does, I believe, underline my assertion that Roethlisberger is terribly underrated on this board, where (rightfully) fantasy stats color everything.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By the end of the 1977 NFL season, Pittsburgh Steelers star Terry Bradshaw could have had every reason in the world to feel like the world's most overlooked quarterback.

Over the previous six years, he had posted a stellar 49-17 regular-season record and an equally impressive 8-4 postseason mark. Two of those playoff wins were Super Bowl victories and in both of those contests he threw a fourth-quarter touchdown pass that helped seal the win for the Steelers.

Despite this abundance of success, Bradshaw still seemingly had not convinced the world he was among the best at his position. Proof of this can be found in the 1977 All-Pro and Pro Bowl voting.

Bradshaw had guided his team to a 9-5 record and the AFC Central Division title and yet was beaten out for those postseason honors not just by the likes of Bob Griese and Roger Staubach (the consensus choices as the top quarterbacks of that season), but also by lesser talents such as Pat Haden and Jim Hart.

Near the end of the 2010 season, Ben Roethlisberger could be in exactly the same kind of overlooked boat as his Black and Gold predecessor. Like Bradshaw, he has a superb regular-season record (69-29, a .704 win percentage that is third-best of any quarterback since 1970) and a dominant 8-2 postseason mark that includes two Super Bowl titles.

Also like Bradshaw, Roethlisberger is coming off a campaign where his team went 9-3 with him under center and won a hard-fought division title. Still, it wasn't enough for him to be named one of the six quarterbacks going to the Pro Bowl.

While that certainly doesn't seem fair on its face, what makes it even more unjust is that a closer look at the game tape and metrics shows that Big Ben was just as good this season as AFC Pro Bowl starter -- and all but certain 2010 NFL MVP -- Tom Brady.

There are three metric areas that work best to illustrate this:

The first is the short pass yards per attempt metric (YPA) (a short pass being one thrown 10 yards or less from the line of scrimmage). Brady's 7.0 YPA total here is excellent, but Roethlisberger's 7.5 YPA is a bit better. One could almost call this a push.

Second on the list is vertical YPA (vertical being defined as a pass thrown 11 or more yards downfield). Brady posted an 11.6 YPA mark, but that was nearly equaled by Roethlisberger's 11.4 YPA. Again, pretty much a push.

Third is bad decision percentage (a bad decision defined as when a quarterback makes a mistake with the ball that leads either to a turnover or a near-turnover such a dropped interception). Brady has always excelled here and his 1.3 percent mark this year meets his historically high standards. Although it tops Roethlisberger's 2.0 percent total, and should seemingly give Brady a significant statistical edge, two things need to be noted here.

First, seven-tenths of a percentage point over the course of a 500-attempt season (which is roughly the attempt pace that both Brady and Roethlisberger were on this year, if Roethlisberger's attempt total was pro-rated over a 16-game schedule) equals between three and four extra bad decisions. In other words, an extra mistake by Roethlisberger every four to five games.

Now consider that Roethlisberger and Brady play in offenses that have markedly different passing philosophies. The New England Patriots switched to a dink-and-dunk offense this year and that led to 70.7 percent of Brady's throws occurring at the short-pass depth level.

To put 70.7 percent into perspective, consider that when Matt Cassel filled in for the injured Brady for almost the entire 2008 season, short passes accounted for only 65.3 percent of New England's pass attempts. The Patriots' brain trust scaled things back dramatically for Cassel and yet they still dink and dunked it more this year than they did that season.

Now contrast those figures to Roethlisberger's 55.9 percent short pass total. This indicates that the Steelers' offense is absolutely not short-pass centric, but the contrast becomes even easier to see when comparing the vertical pass percentages for each quarterback. Roethlisberger's vertical throws accounted for 37.4 percent of his attempts versus 26.8 percent of Brady's.

In other words, Roethlisberger is piloting a high-risk/high-reward offense. A solid bad decision rate for a quarterback of that nature would be in the 2.5-to-3 percent range and Roethlisberger's 2.0 percent total is well below that. Brady's 1.3 percent mark is just as superb (a 2.0 percent total is considered good for dink/dunk offenses) but when this context is applied, it is clear that his lead in this metric is fairly negligible at best.

And that's the story with pretty much any measurement one can come up with to compare Roethlisberger and Brady both for this season and their careers. The biggest exception to this might be that Brady has three Super Bowl rings to Roethlisberger's two, but the second-biggest exception is that Roethlisberger is 4½ years younger -- he has a lot more time to make up the title gap than Brady has to extend it.

It also could mean that Roethlisberger has a chance to mimic Bradshaw in one other important way. As overlooked as the Blond Bomber was in 1977, after he piloted his team to two more Super Bowl wins, he finally received his due by being named the first-string quarterback on the NFL's All-Decade Team of the 1970s.

The timing of Roethlisberger's career means that he won't have a chance to beat out Brady for All-Decade honors, but if he guides the Steelers to a Super Bowl this season and ties Brady in the championship rings category, his odds of eventually surpassing Brady as the No. 1 quarterback of this generation are actually quite good.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think Roethlisberger is better than Brady but I do think that Brady wouldn't have survived being the QB of the Steelers over the past 4 or 5 years.

I don't think Roethlisberger is better than Brady but I do think that Brady wouldn't have survived being the QB of the Steelers over the past 4 or 5 years.
:shrug: I think Roethlisberger is the PERFECT steelers QB. Man is tough as steel. no pun intended.

Agree on both counts. He does make a compelling argument using some of the advanced metrics. I tend to rely on my eyes more than numbers when evaluating players, which is something that's more rare here on FBG than it is in day-to-day football conversation, but some of these "second-level" stats help spell out what you're seeing sometimes.

If Ben guides the Steelers to a superbowl win this year (especially if he outplays Brady in the championship game), I think he'd have to be in the conversation of being as "clutch" as Brady. Not sure if he should ever be considered a better qb than Brady.

but I do think that Brady wouldn't have survived being the QB of the Steelers over the past 4 or 5 years.
Care to explain that ridiculous comment?I like Joyner, but the first two stats he brings up are related to the type of offense Pitt runs vs. what NE does. Of course Big Ben averages more YPA. The steelers throw deep and have one of the best deep threats in the game in Mike Wallace.Big Ben is a winner. I'll give him that. And as a Pats fan I fear his big play capability.If he wins another super bowl this year and matches Brady, I'll be annoyed.Although maybe the comparisons will shift from Brady vs. Manning to Brady vs. Big Ben. :shrug: KY

Wow, I didn't realize until looking at his career stats just now that Roethlisberger has only played one full 16 game schedule in his career.

Give me a break with this "Brady wouldn't have survived being the QB of the Steelers over the past 4 or 5 years" nonsense. Brady's probably tougher than Roethlisberger is. He's probably definitely better at avoiding big hits, too.

but I do think that Brady wouldn't have survived being the QB of the Steelers over the past 4 or 5 years.
Care to explain that ridiculous comment?I like Joyner, but the first two stats he brings up are related to the type of offense Pitt runs vs. what NE does. Of course Big Ben averages more YPA. The steelers throw deep and have one of the best deep threats in the game in Mike Wallace.

Big Ben is a winner. I'll give him that. And as a Pats fan I fear his big play capability.

If he wins another super bowl this year and matches Brady, I'll be annoyed.

Although maybe the comparisons will shift from Brady vs. Manning to Brady vs. Big Ben.

:shrug:

KY
To the bolded, I'm sure he means that the PIT offensive line is so much more porous that Ben's escapability allows him to avoid a lot of big hits that Brady would likely have taken behind that line.

Care to explain that ridiculous comment?I like Joyner, but the first two stats he brings up are related to the type of offense Pitt runs vs. what NE does. Of course Big Ben averages more YPA. The steelers throw deep and have one of the best deep threats in the game in Mike Wallace.

Big Ben is a winner. I'll give him that. And as a Pats fan I fear his big play capability.

Although maybe the comparisons will shift from Brady vs. Manning to Brady vs. Big Ben.

:unsure:

KY
To the bolded here, I'd be more than satisfied with that. I'd be satisfied if his name even started surfacing in the "elite" QB discussions around here. Most of time, I see people rate him below Manning, Brady, Brees, and these days even Rodgers and Rivers, neither of whom have made any hay in the postseason of yet. I'd even seen Romo frequently rated above him before Tony got hurt. Usually, Ben ends up ranked in that #7-9 range, which is obviously where Pro Bowl voters feel he belongs. Personally, I feel he belongs in the #3-5 range behind only Brady and Manning, and grouped with Brees and Rodgers. In fact, I'll say it - I think he's #3 by a hair over Brees.

KY
To the bolded, I'm sure he means that the PIT offensive line is so much more porous that Ben's escapability allows him to avoid a lot of big hits that Brady would likely have taken behind that line.
Ah.I think more importantly, Rothlesberger is HUGE for a QB. He's tough to bring down. Add that to his escapability and you have a QB that can survive a beating.

KY

KY
To the bolded here, I'd be more than satisfied with that. I'd be satisfied if his name even started surfacing in the "elite" QB discussions around here. Most of time, I see people rate him below Manning, Brady, Brees, and these days even Rodgers and Rivers, neither of whom have made any hay in the postseason of yet. I'd even seen Romo frequently rated above him before Tony got hurt. Usually, Ben ends up ranked in that #7-9 range, which is obviously where Pro Bowl voters feel he belongs. Personally, I feel he belongs in the #3-5 range behind only Brady and Manning, and grouped with Brees and Rodgers. In fact, I'll say it - I think he's #3 by a hair over Brees.
I agree wholeheartedly with this. I've got Roethlisberger right behind Brady and Manning. He's right there with Brees, but certainly ahead of Rodgers and Rivers. I'm not sure where Mike Vick fits in yet... I need to see him do it again next year.

KY
I agree wholeheartedly with this. I've got Roethlisberger right behind Brady and Manning. He's right there with Brees, but certainly ahead of Rodgers and Rivers. I'm not sure where Mike Vick fits in yet... I need to see him do it again next year.
By the end of next year, I suspect we may be grading Brady and Rodgers in a tier of their own and Manning will fall into tier 2 (along with Ben, Rivers and Brees). I think we already started to see some regression with Manning this season. Much of that was due to age and injuries to his primary weapons but I don't see that situation improving anytime soon. Rodgers is an absolute stud and will be in Brady's class soon enough.

KY
I think Ben is fighting perception as well.He plays for a team that is historically run oriented on offense and defensive focused. The media and the masses are dumb. I think this perception will be tough to overcome, but if Big Ben can rank right up there one year soon across ALL the passing metrics then he can leave this in the dust.

And if he wins another superbowl, the debate is really on.

KY

Wow, I didn't realize until looking at his career stats just now that Roethlisberger has only played one full 16 game schedule in his career.

Give me a break with this "Brady wouldn't have survived being the QB of the Steelers over the past 4 or 5 years" nonsense. Brady's probably tougher than Roethlisberger is. He's probably definitely better at avoiding big hits, too.
Part of that is due to his off field issues as well.

The Steelers have won a SB despite the play of Ben; the Patriots haven't won unless Brady plays well.

It's not fair to say that Brady is the heart and soul of the Patriots but he is more important to the team than Ben is to the Steelers. Maybe that statement isn't as fair to say today as it was in the past but the Steelers can win with their Defense and running game (they did while Ben was suspended); the Pats haven't proven they can yet.

The Steelers have won a SB despite the play of Ben; the Patriots haven't won unless Brady plays well.

It's not fair to say that Brady is the heart and soul of the Patriots but he is more important to the team than Ben is to the Steelers. Maybe that statement isn't as fair to say today as it was in the past but the Steelers can win with their Defense and running game (they did while Ben was suspended); the Pats haven't proven they can yet.
Didn't the Pats do pretty well with Cassel at qb? I know they didn't make the playoffs but they still had a pretty good season.

:shrug:

KY
I agree on Vick too. I think he took a lot of people by surprise this year, but once coaches had some tape to evaluate and were able to scheme more effectively to defend against him, his effectiveness seemed to tail off quite a bit. The last offensive play of last week's game also summed him up to me, beautiful looking ball, not thrown to the right place. His athleticism and arm are undeniably special, but I don't think he has the awareness or accuracy of a guy like Brady, Manning, Brees, or Roethlisberger, and that will keep him from ever entering the elite.

By the end of next year, I suspect we may be grading Brady and Rodgers in a tier of their own and Manning will fall into tier 2 (along with Ben, Rivers and Brees). I think we already started to see some regression with Manning this season. Much of that was due to age and injuries to his primary weapons but I don't see that situation improving anytime soon. Rodgers is an absolute stud and will be in Brady's class soon enough.
Sean Payton is still the oddest OC ever. There's probably never been a guy that did so well, yet was so hard to understand. I have often felt like Brees is playing for stats-like his goal entering the game was 400 yards and not necessarily to win. The same guys seem to get hurt every year and when that situation happens-those are the weeks I feel that way as he seems to only have these speed demons, that aren't really good WRs, those weeks. I think Brees is the best passer in the NFL and Sam Braford is second already. Their throws are so pretty so often and location or who is running the route doesn't seem to matter. Neither are the best QB though and Brees (probably due to Payton) just doesn't give me that "with 2 min and the game on the line, I want the ball in his hands" feeling.A while back when Dungy was coach, someone did a great article on the defense affecting Peyton's stats oh so predictably. Sure a good defense will put the QB back on the field more often, but it was so obvious so perfect. Too often the Colts defense seems to be good if Sanders is there, bad without, so in a round about way it might be Bob Sanders=stats for Peyton. I don't in anyway think there's a regression. He is still an awesome studier/film room guy that knows so much of what a defense will do and he still makes every throw. I don't know if Peyton is smart, but there probably hasn't been a defensive set/scheme run the last ten years that he hasn't already figured out how he wants to attack it. No one is as prepared as Peyton.There's some maturity with Rodgers that still needs to happen. He's super impressive, but there's mistakes he makes that Brady and Manning and Roth just don't. And I don't think that offense has changed at all the last few years. Ya gotta mix it up. Defenses are flat out expectant of some of the things the Packers do.I like the "he's the perfect Steelers QB" line said above for Rothleisberger. He so is. Brady is the smartest QB in the game. Well he plays as such. In my opinion, none of these guys could replace the other and play as well but for some odd reason I think Phillip Rivers could replace any one of these guys and play similarly well. I think Rivers has had some horrible OCs and done well despite them. I hate their offense and thinks as such every single week I get to watch them. He's got these predictable injuries to his targets like Brees has each year too. He lost one of the best RBs ever and it didn't faze him. He loses one of the top TEs in the game for a week here N there and ...so what. He is phenomenal at adjusting or adapting. I think it was Boomer Esiason that said there's a rhythm to a great offense. If you understand that, that's definitely missing from the Chargers O. IMO Rivers is the guy to watch here and oh so curiously absent from this thread. In this scenario, Carson Palmer might be the darkhorse to bet on that has great odds. All the guys above have made Carson almost forgotten and he's a very good QB. Cincy fans have oh so much negative to say about their OC. He has persevered despite some bad teams, bad coaches and bad teammates. I have always wondered how he'd do on a solid well rounded well coached team.

:rolleyes:

KY
Who is to say that Brady doesn't avoid taking those hits by reading the defense quicker and getting rid of the ball quicker?

:rolleyes:

KY
Ah.I think more importantly, Rothlesberger is HUGE for a QB. He's tough to bring down. Add that to his escapability and you have a QB that can survive a beating.

KY
Roethlisberger holds onto the ball a long time; trying to improvise. Ben's not a rhythm and timing QB. Brady would likely take less hits because the ball would be thrown significantly sooner.

:X

KY
Who is to say that Brady doesn't avoid taking those hits by reading the defense quicker and getting rid of the ball quicker?
Possible. But if you watch the Steelers, Ben is often flushed from the pocket so quickly that even a guy like Brady or Manning would have a hard time consistently getting the ball out quickly enough to avoid taking big hits (even if they weren't sacks.)

What a joke! Ben Roethlisberger? Besides not being anywhere close to Tom Brady's level he's not even in the Top 2 Tiers of QB's in the NFL.

:thumbup:

KY

KY
Roethlisberger holds onto the ball a long time; trying to improvise. Ben's not a rhythm and timing QB. Brady would likely take less hits because the ball would be thrown significantly sooner.
The Steelers offensive philosophy is markedly different than the Patriots. The Steelers, for the most part, do not dink-and-dunk or even throw that many screens -- That, as well as fairly poor pass protection, demands a QB be able to move around, scramble and improvise. I'll give you that Brady is the better QB but given the Steelers style of play I think Roethlisberger is better suited than Brady to play for the Steelers.I also think the thought of Brady being tougher than Roethlisberger is laughable.

These conversations always seem to be pointless until the QB's career stops being a moving target. This time last year, Peyton Manning was deemed to have surpassed Brady in terms of 'legacy'. Now the idea sounds preposterous. I think the best any of these QB's can do is make themselves eligible for this conversation when their careers are over or they are significantly past their prime and unlikely to add to their resume. Elway's legacy actually didn't form until the last two years of his career.

Until then, it's tough to compare the merits of QB's like Manning, Brady, and BB when one is 35 and another is 29.

Didn't the Pats do pretty well with Cassel at qb? I know they didn't make the playoffs but they still had a pretty good season.
They had essentially the same roster as from the 16-0 regular season of the year before and, just as importantly, had an extremely easy schedule in 2008.

:confused:

KY
You're correct, but the fact is that the Steelers have stuck with the downfield passing attack in spite of the lack of an O-line that can provide adequate protection for that scheme. Ben has the mobility and strength to succeed in that attack, but it does lead to him taking a lot of hits that Brady doesn't take. I believe a significant part of the reason for the Patriots moving Moss this year midseason had to do with the ability of the Patriots O-line to provide protection for the downfield passing attack they were utilizing with Moss on the team. Moving Moss, acquiring Branch, and retooling the offense to better fit what the line could do well, as well as fitting the skill set of Brady (quick decisions and accuracy) and the receiving corps has led to a short passing attack that has been the most efficient scoring offense in the league.

In some ways, the YPA stat is one of the least effective measure of a QB. If a team throws mostly short passes, but scores.... who cares? The name of the game is scoring, and how you get there is irrelevant. The quotes talk about the Steelers high risk/high reward system. I think I prefer the Patriots low risk/high reward system better.

Also like Bradshaw, Roethlisberger is coming off a campaign where his team went 9-3 with him under center and won a hard-fought division title. Still, it wasn't enough for him to be named one of the six quarterbacks going to the Pro Bowl.

This is insincere. There are 3 QB spots per conference, not 6.

The first is the short pass yards per attempt metric (YPA) (a short pass being one thrown 10 yards or less from the line of scrimmage). Brady's 7.0 YPA total here is excellent, but Roethlisberger's 7.5 YPA is a bit better. One could almost call this a push.

Second on the list is vertical YPA (vertical being defined as a pass thrown 11 or more yards downfield). Brady posted an 11.6 YPA mark, but that was nearly equaled by Roethlisberger's 11.4 YPA. Again, pretty much a push.

Mike Wallace drastically skews these numbers.

Third is bad decision percentage (a bad decision defined as when a quarterback makes a mistake with the ball that leads either to a turnover or a near-turnover such a dropped interception). Brady has always excelled here and his 1.3 percent mark this year meets his historically high standards. Although it tops Roethlisberger's 2.0 percent total, and should seemingly give Brady a significant statistical edge, two things need to be noted here.

First, seven-tenths of a percentage point over the course of a 500-attempt season (which is roughly the attempt pace that both Brady and Roethlisberger were on this year, if Roethlisberger's attempt total was pro-rated over a 16-game schedule) equals between three and four extra bad decisions. In other words, an extra mistake by Roethlisberger every four to five games.

If holding on to the ball too long, resulting in a sack, were part of the metric, this delta would be much larger. To expand on this, Brady has taken 244 career sacks. Ben is 4.5 years younger, but has taken 274 sacks. Granted, much of this can be attributed to O-line play and offensive system, but Ben routinely holds on to the ball too long, resulting in negative yardage.

Now contrast those figures to Roethlisberger's 55.9 percent short pass total. This indicates that the Steelers' offense is absolutely not short-pass centric, but the contrast becomes even easier to see when comparing the vertical pass percentages for each quarterback. Roethlisberger's vertical throws accounted for 37.4 percent of his attempts versus 26.8 percent of Brady's.

Again, give Brady the fastest receiver in the game and I imagine Bill would open things up a bit. What was the NE vertical percentage in Moss' early years with the team?

In some ways, the YPA stat is one of the least effective measure of a QB. If a team throws mostly short passes, but scores.... who cares? The name of the game is scoring, and how you get there is irrelevant. The quotes talk about the Steelers high risk/high reward system. I think I prefer the Patriots low risk/high reward system better.
I don't see anyone arguing against this. No one is saying the Steelers way is better -- it is hard to argue with the Patriots offense, afterall they are the #1 offense in the NFL. All we're saying is that given the Steelers offensive philosophy (whether you like it or not), Ben Roethlisberger is better suited to it than Tom Brady.

What a joke! Ben Roethlisberger? Besides not being anywhere close to Tom Brady's level he's not even in the Top 2 Tiers of QB's in the NFL.
He's definitely in the 2nd tier of qbs. You're fishing...........
BradyManningBrees RiversRodgersHe's in the 3rd tier ...... maybe.You're fishing .......
I'd say Ben is right there with Brees and Rivers when you consider championships.Rodgers is on the verge of being great, but he a) doesn't have enough of a track record yet, and b) He's won NOTHING.KY

BradyManning

Brees

Rivers

Rodgers

He's in the 3rd tier ...... maybe.

You're fishing .......
Spoken like a true football fan fantasy football player.

BradyManning

Brees

Rivers

Rodgers

He's in the 3rd tier ...... maybe.

You're fishing .......
I'd say Ben is right there with Brees and Rivers when you consider championships.Rodgers is on the verge of being great, but he a) doesn't have enough of a track record yet, and b) He's won NOTHING.

KY
Ben's passing stats are pretty impressive during the regular season as well.

Big Ben is a proto-type NFL QB. Great arm and vision, can take big hits and bounce back up, can extend plays and is tough to sack, and can run when needed.

Ridiculous intro. How was Bradshaw beat out by Haden and Hart? Hart was a very good QB, and Haden had a magnificent season in '77, posting excellent efficiency numbers and guiding the Rams to an 8-2 record. Which, of course, is meaningless since they played in a different conference than Bradshaw.

In '77, Griese and Stabler made the Pro Bowl in the AFC, and Bert Jones had a better argument to being screwed than Bradshaw. Even Craig Morton could have had a gripe, as he guided the Broncos to a 12-1 record and the conference's #1 seed.

Adebisi said:
Brady's probably tougher than Roethlisberger is. He's probably definitely better at avoiding big hits, too.
Right, like the 2001 AFC Championship. You'd have to bury Roethlisberger to get him out of a Championship Game.

munchkin said:
I don't know if I agree with the bolded. Brady is a great QB, but to say he is more important to the Pats than Roethlisberger is to the Steelers is a bit of homerism, IMO.The Steelers wouldn't have a single SB in the last few years if Roethlisberger wasn't their QB. Sure, in his first SB, Roethlisberger didn't play well; but his play in the playoffs got them into that game. He carried the team throughout the playoffs. As for the second SB, he did something there that Brady has NEVER done. He drove his team down the field to score the winning TD. Brady's gotten them to a winning FG, but they weren't chip shot FGs (40 yarders, I think). Is he able to drive them to a winning TD in the last seconds of a SB, when he doesn't have the safety net of knowing that the game is already tied, and even if he doesn't succeed, there's still OT? Is he able to go all the way down the field, and not stall at the 25 yard line, knowing he has one of the best PKs of all time to finish the game? Those are questions we don't KNOW about Brady (I THINK he could, but I don't KNOW). We do KNOW the answer to those questions about Roethlisberger.

A discussion that would make more sense is :"Is Roethlisberger as good as Rodgers/Rivers"?
A guy who has won two Super Bowls vs. two that have never been to a Super Bowl. Next.
Was Troy Aikman better than Dan Marino because he went to and won three Super Bowls and Marino only went to one and lost it?
Here we go...Ben isn't feeding the ball to Emmitt Smith behind the greatest OL of the past 25 years. Watch that '05 Championship Game in Denver again, he was the best player on the field that day and has been their best player on O since he arrived.

A discussion that would make more sense is :"Is Roethlisberger as good as Rodgers/Rivers"?
A guy who has won two Super Bowls vs. two that have never been to a Super Bowl. Next.
Was Troy Aikman better than Dan Marino because he went to and won three Super Bowls and Marino only went to one and lost it?
Thank you, I was going to use the Dilfer argument. Anyways, consistently having the best defense in the league year in and year out helps when winning a team game consisting of 52 other players. Don't get me wrong, Ben is clutch. But he is more on Rodgers/Rovers level.... to even mention him in the same sentence as Brady simply because of Superbowls is a joke. I understand why Superbowls are important, but it is not the only measuring stick when ranking a Quarterback. It can't be. Offense, Defense, Special Teams...there is just too much that goes into winning a Championship to give the QB all the credit when it does happen. Manning/Brady are on a level above anyone in the league.

Adebisi said:

this wouldnt happen to do with the fact that Brady gets to just relax in the pocket for 6 seconds before throwing the ball would it???

Users who are viewing this thread