What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Titans not to bring back Moss (1 Viewer)

B Will

Footballguy
(KFFL) The Tennessee Titans are not expected to re-sign impending free-agent WR Randy Moss this offseason, reports Jim Wyatt, of The Tennessean.

thoughts?

Depends on where he lands, I think his value stays the same this year (bad) if he ends up on an established offense, but if he ends up with a rookie QB or an up and coming offense I think he will be same old Moss (1000/10)

Depends on where he lands, I think his value stays the same this year (bad) if he ends up on an established offense, but if he ends up with a rookie QB or an up and coming offense I think he will be same old Moss (1000/10)
I kind of agree with this. I don't think it is about veteran QB vs rookie QB, but I do think that it's about established vs raw or up and coming. Take the Seahawks for instance. They have the elite WR in Mike Williams, but Big Mike doesn't provide that really deep threat. Moss to stretch the field out for the rest of the Seahawks WRs, Mike Williams, Stokely, Obamanu, and Golden Tate? That would be a perfect mix for Moss. Plus a wanna be gunslinger Favre like Matt Hasselbeck. I think it would be the perfect fit.Unfortunately I don't think Moss fits the bill for a Pete Carroll guy, i.e. someone who "buys in." But if he goes to a similar place, it would be very beneficial for him.

I would say he retires. I think he's done with the BS part of the game as well as diminished skills. Having sad that, watch him go back to NE and catches 100 balls for 1500+ yds and 20 tds next year.

Very interesting thoughts coming from a Pats fan with the "Hoodgenius" as an avatar...my thought would be he is worthless on the other 31 teams not named the Patriots. I guess I pose it to you this way; you feel he would have more value if he landed in NE or CHI versus a place like Carolina or STL? I really can't imagine that. My thought is there are two places for him in the NFL...NE and SD if V-Jax and/or Floyd are both gone...beyond that, I think he is done.

...my thought would be he is worthless on the other 31 teams not named the Patriots. I guess I pose it to you this way; you feel he would have more value if he landed in NE or CHI versus a place like Carolina or STL? I really can't imagine that. My thought is there are two places for him in the NFL...NE and SD if V-Jax and/or Floyd are both gone...beyond that, I think he is done.
Could be, but my thought was that he worked his way off the team in the game 1 post game conference (he wants/wanted an extension and was not getting it from NE). NE might welcome him back, but on their own terms. SD might be a good spot as well. Otherwise, avoid.

Very interesting thoughts coming from a Pats fan with the "Hoodgenius" as an avatar...my thought would be he is worthless on the other 31 teams not named the Patriots. I guess I pose it to you this way; you feel he would have more value if he landed in NE or CHI versus a place like Carolina or STL? I really can't imagine that. My thought is there are two places for him in the NFL...NE and SD if V-Jax and/or Floyd are both gone...beyond that, I think he is done.
Its impossible to catch balls that arent thrown to you. Hes slacked off all year but when hes showed any effort they refuse to throw it to him, even when he is in man coverage. I dont think the Pats would take him back if they could pay him less than he was making, I think its far more likely he ends up at the Jets (than the Pats). But I think if he could land in St. Louis, Kansas City, Tampa Bay, Carolina, Jacksonville, Seatle or even San Fransisco it would be good.

There are plenty of teams out there that would sign him just for the ticket sales. Buffalo and Cincinnati are no strangers to those types of publicity stunts.

He's still got 1-2 good years left in him if he can get motivated.

I'd much rather have Terrell Owens, and there are a very small number of teams who would put up with that headache.

I'd say its 50-50 Randy Moss has played his last NFL down.

Its impossible to catch balls that arent thrown to you. Hes slacked off all year but when hes showed any effort they refuse to throw it to him, even when he is in man coverage. I dont think the Pats would take him back if they could pay him less than he was making, I think its far more likely he ends up at the Jets (than the Pats). But I think if he could land in St. Louis, Kansas City, Tampa Bay, Carolina, Jacksonville, Seatle or even San Fransisco it would be good.
Moss has been crummy twice in his career; once with a failing Oak franchise, the other time, with the debacle this year on 3 teams. I can't see him getting motivated to shag balls for 8-8 teams...with that said, KC is very intriguing. While he did not flourish under Cassel, he also did not poop the bed. With Pioli there too, there may be some legs to that suggestion considering the next best WR on the Chiefs after Bowe could be some random, local HS player. Moekai, Bowe, Charles and Moss would be nice...

Moss has been crummy twice in his career; once with a failing Oak franchise, the other time, with the debacle this year on 3 teams. I can't see him getting motivated to shag balls for 8-8 teams...with that said, KC is very intriguing. While he did not flourish under Cassel, he also did not poop the bed. With Pioli there too, there may be some legs to that suggestion considering the next best WR on the Chiefs after Bowe could be some random, local HS player. Moekai, Bowe, Charles and Moss would be nice...
me thinks Moss n Todd Haley wouldnt mix

back to the pats
It seems to me that Moss was kinda McDaniels's guy in NE. He came in when Josh was OC, fit Josh's long passing system beautifally, and was then unnecessary when Josh was gone. I can't see him going to the Pats. On top of that, I don't think he's that good anymore.

me thinks Moss n Todd Haley wouldnt mix
I kid you not, three seconds after I posted, I pictured the silouette of Haley yelling (he kind of gets compact and red), and just giggled...scratch that one off the list, Randy.

Moss is done. His skills have diminished. He is lazier than ever. Most teams have seen that on the film and already have enough headaches.

Will some team take a chance? Highly likely. It will end quickly in 2011 and badly.

Criteria:

1) strong head coach

2) playoff caliber team

3) pass oriented offense/good QB

If the Pats don't want him back I'm guessing he'll want out of the AFC altogether. That leaves...

1) New England Patriots

2) New Orleans Saints

3) Seattle Seahawks

TommyGilmore said:
There are plenty of teams out there that would sign him just for the ticket sales. Buffalo and Cincinnati are no strangers to those types of publicity stunts.

He's still got 1-2 good years left in him if he can get motivated.
That's a pretty big IF. He's going to need to find a team that has the right balance of "desperate enough to sign him" and "enough talent to be a playoff contender". I would think he'd be miserable playing for a team going nowhere, but what contender is going to risk adding this guy and all the baggage he brings? He quit on three different teams this season.

I've always predicted a steep drop off because of his height....a lot of the very tall elite WRs have rapid dropoffs, unlike WRs such as Jerry Rice, Isaac Bruce, Tim Brown etc. etc.

That being said, if he were to land with the Pats or another good offense he could be a mid round sleeper. I probably wouldn't touch him in the first 3 rounds regardless of where he lands.

Remember, everybody was writing T.O. off a year ago....oops.

silentmark said:
Done, avoid at all costs...
That is what everyone said after the 2006 season in Oakland....and I would like to thank those people as I won 8 Championships in 2007 after taking Moss in the 4th-5th round in all 8 leagues.

silentmark said:
Done, avoid at all costs...
That is what everyone said after the 2006 season in Oakland....and I would like to thank those people as I won 8 Championships in 2007 after taking Moss in the 4th-5th round in all 8 leagues.
I think this is completely different. Moss is 4 years older now, and that was on a lousy Raiders orginization. 3 teams that have been to the playoffs pretty frequently all came to the conclusion that he's not worth having around.

I think Moss will promise to be on his best behavior and beg his way back on to the Pats for whatever they will pay him.

I've always predicted a steep drop off because of his height....a lot of the very tall elite WRs have rapid dropoffs, unlike WRs such as Jerry Rice, Isaac Bruce, Tim Brown etc. etc.
How many "very tall elite WRs" have there been in the history of the NFL? Only 12 players in NFL history have more than 900 catches, and 6 of them are 6-2 or taller (Rice, Reed, Owens, Moss, Monk, Carter).Did you just keep predicting that Moss' stats would decline every year until you were finally right? Did you make the same prediction in 2009? Because in 2009 Moss had the 2nd best season of ANY WR in their 12th year. The only 12th-year WR to ever have a better season was Terrell Owens, and he's 6-foot-3.

I think Moss will promise to be on his best behavior and beg his way back on to the Pats for whatever they will pay him.
I want him back on the Pats, but realistically he doesnt fit into their 2010 Team, I know they will make room, but will they want to?

Jim Wyatt was going on about the Titans WRs and discussing the potential of them drafting Green. He wrote "I don't expect Randy Moss back."

The guy was just shooting from the hip. Wyatt is a great source, but he's going to make it crystal clear if the Titans aren't bringing Moss back.

The Titans didn't say as such.

Moss has said he would love to be a Titan next year which is just plain weird.

Jim Wyatt was going on about the Titans WRs and discussing the potential of them drafting Green. He wrote "I don't expect Randy Moss back."

The guy was just shooting from the hip. Wyatt is a great source, but he's going to make it crystal clear if the Titans aren't bringing Moss back.

:hot: Way too premature as to what the Titans will do.

With all the young receivers on that team, I would be moderately surprised if they don't bring him back.

I think he will end up in Miami.

Owner Steve Ross last week discussed his vision for next year, having a "more aggressive, and creative" offense. Their deep threat, Hartline, is a marginal starting WR and the opening is there for Moss to take that spot. Marshall will be getting his 85-100 balls in short and mid range but he's not a deep threat, Bess is in the slot, and Moss could be the guy they use to take their shots down field.

Ross would like to make a splash with another big name this year, and Moss would fit the bill.

Last edited by a moderator:
I want him back on the Pats, but realistically he doesnt fit into their 2010 Team, I know they will make room, but will they want to?
Why would you want him back? The team almost immediately became much better without him. Without Moss, they're more balanced and harder to defend. There are also widespread reports about how much better the lockerroom is this year, and while that's not only on Moss he was part of it.

That being said, if he were to land with the Pats or another good offense he could be a mid round sleeper. I probably wouldn't touch him in the first 3 rounds regardless of where he lands.

Remember, everybody was writing T.O. off a year ago....oops.
It's so nice having you in the Surviror leagues. I'd suggesting you drafting him about the same round you drafted Alexander the year he couldn't land another gig.I can't wait to see where Moss lands to hear from all the Viking Titan TBD fans about how he's going to open up the running game for their RB.

Did Moss actually catch any balls while playing in a Titans uniform?

I mean this is absolutely ridiculous. I know their offense sucks passing wise, but ZERO production?

Unless he plays for an excellent offense who loves to throw on every down, I just can't see him putting any decent numbers going forward.

At least T. Owens almost put up 1000/10 while playing for a horrific offense.

Give me TO over Moss any day.

One guy works like a horse out on the field while the other is on vacation on the field.

:lmao: Way too premature as to what the Titans will do.

With all the young receivers on that team, I would be moderately surprised if they don't bring him back.
The Titans don't even definitively know who their OC will be next year. If that's not enough, a vet like Moss is likely going to also be dramatically affected by the CBA. We expect higher salaries for vets and owners to whine for a smaller cap. They probably don't even have a clue if they can afford him yet or not. Oh and they have no clue who their starting QB is either.They have good young WRs and would be OK without him, but this is a team that needs to rise to the next level and try to win it all. It's not a time for them to be settling.

Randy Moss is all done? This happened just four months ago. He burned Revis - arguably the best CB in the league - so badly that Revis wound up with a pulled hamstring. And he caught the ball effortlessly with one hand.

If you want to say that Moss's desire (never his strong suit in the first place) is gone, you'd certainly be able to make a strong argument. But he certainly still has the physical tools to be among the league's elite WRs.

What happened this year? He brought a lousy attitude to the Patriots, Belichick called his bluff, and Moss's attitude went straight down the toilet from there. It had nothing to do with his physical ability (or lack thereof).

Last edited by a moderator:
Everyone's going a little Mark Twain on this one here. Moss was in a terrible situation this year. He wasn't terrible with the Patriots. He spread the field very well and Brady didn't even look his way most plays. Watch some tape from the early games. There were multiple times that he was WIDE open where Brady checked it down for no real reason. There were also a few times that Brady absolutely missed a wide open Moss on some throws(for how great he was this year on short passes, Brady was quite inaccurate on deep balls this year). He still has speed and hands, just once he had started whining, it was only a matter of time before he was gone.

This is where everyone gets a little crazy. Receivers need time with their QBs. Timing is the most important part of an NFL passing game. I figured as football fans, you'd all know that, but this thread has taught me different. In Minnesota, Favre was a walking injury report. He didn't even practice the first 3 weeks that Moss was there, yet we're supposed to expect Moss to have timing with Favre and to go for 100 every game? Then add a coach that no one on the team respected and an OC who's play calling ability was handcuffed and Moss was set up for failure. Then comes Tennessee. Midway through the season, he's in his 3rd offense of the year, once again not knowing the plays and playing with a different QB every other week. They were out of the playoff race almost the moment Moss arrived. Fisher seems to think only one deep threat should play at a time. It just wasn't his year.

Moss was praised as a hard worker in NE. Brady raved about his knowledge and dedication to the game. In Minnesota, despite just arriving, he was giving motivational speeches in the locker room and working hard with Harvin to sharpen his skills. In Tennessee, he took a seat on the bench in favor of Britt without saying a word about it. Britt is also talking about his mentorship at the position.

Listen, rag on Moss all you want. He has made some stupid decisions in his career. He doesn't run hard when he's not involved in the play. He whines when he wants a new contract. OK, I get it. He'll get a job next year though. He might not be who he once was, but he's still a top 40 receiver in this league with a ton of knowledge to give the young athletic receivers around the league. He'll have a job. As a Vikings fan I wouldn't even be upset if they took him back. Sidney and Harvin could use a guy like him and after an offseason working with the QB(whoever it will be................. :) ) I fully believe he could contribute handsomely to the offense as well. Add in some motivation to prove doubters wrong and someone will be getting a gem on the cheap next year.

Some team will give him an incentive-laden deal, likely a 1-year contract with an option. And he'll take it. What he does from there is anyone's guess.

I'm not buying that his skills have completely eroded. I just think he is an unmotivated malcontent, and when he gets like that, he gives no effort. It will be interesting to see what, if any, team takes a chance on him next year.

I kind of agree with this. I don't think it is about veteran QB vs rookie QB, but I do think that it's about established vs raw or up and coming. Take the Seahawks for instance. They have the elite WR in Mike Williams, but Big Mike doesn't provide that really deep threat. Moss to stretch the field out for the rest of the Seahawks WRs, Mike Williams, Stokely, Obamanu, and Golden Tate? That would be a perfect mix for Moss. Plus a wanna be gunslinger Favre like Matt Hasselbeck. I think it would be the perfect fit.Unfortunately I don't think Moss fits the bill for a Pete Carroll guy, i.e. someone who "buys in." But if he goes to a similar place, it would be very beneficial for him.
I would not call BMW elite. Still runs bad routes.

How many "very tall elite WRs" have there been in the history of the NFL? Only 12 players in NFL history have more than 900 catches, and 6 of them are 6-2 or taller (Rice, Reed, Owens, Moss, Monk, Carter).Did you just keep predicting that Moss' stats would decline every year until you were finally right? Did you make the same prediction in 2009? Because in 2009 Moss had the 2nd best season of ANY WR in their 12th year. The only 12th-year WR to ever have a better season was Terrell Owens, and he's 6-foot-3.
:goodposting: It drives me crazy when people just assert things as facts when they have no evidence.As far as OP's question, he will play again. Where? Too early to tell. He probably won't sign until after the draft and maybe even later. STL could use him for sure. Miami? He would help Marshall out by being a true deep threat. Bears lack a legit WR and he could really help stretch the field for them. How about Detroit to play opposite Megatron? You sign him to an incentive laden contract, with a Vet Minimum only guaranteed, but lots of money if he performs well. Little risk and a lot of potential gain.People who think he can't play are fooling themselves. He can if he wants to and he will if he has the right HC, QB, and incentives.

encaitar said:
Everyone's going a little Mark Twain on this one here. Moss was in a terrible situation this year. He wasn't terrible with the Patriots. He spread the field very well and Brady didn't even look his way most plays. Watch some tape from the early games. There were multiple times that he was WIDE open where Brady checked it down for no real reason. There were also a few times that Brady absolutely missed a wide open Moss on some throws(for how great he was this year on short passes, Brady was quite inaccurate on deep balls this year). He still has speed and hands, just once he had started whining, it was only a matter of time before he was gone. This is where everyone gets a little crazy. Receivers need time with their QBs. Timing is the most important part of an NFL passing game. I figured as football fans, you'd all know that, but this thread has taught me different. In Minnesota, Favre was a walking injury report. He didn't even practice the first 3 weeks that Moss was there, yet we're supposed to expect Moss to have timing with Favre and to go for 100 every game? Then add a coach that no one on the team respected and an OC who's play calling ability was handcuffed and Moss was set up for failure. Then comes Tennessee. Midway through the season, he's in his 3rd offense of the year, once again not knowing the plays and playing with a different QB every other week. They were out of the playoff race almost the moment Moss arrived. Fisher seems to think only one deep threat should play at a time. It just wasn't his year.Moss was praised as a hard worker in NE. Brady raved about his knowledge and dedication to the game. In Minnesota, despite just arriving, he was giving motivational speeches in the locker room and working hard with Harvin to sharpen his skills. In Tennessee, he took a seat on the bench in favor of Britt without saying a word about it. Britt is also talking about his mentorship at the position.Listen, rag on Moss all you want. He has made some stupid decisions in his career. He doesn't run hard when he's not involved in the play. He whines when he wants a new contract. OK, I get it. He'll get a job next year though. He might not be who he once was, but he's still a top 40 receiver in this league with a ton of knowledge to give the young athletic receivers around the league. He'll have a job. As a Vikings fan I wouldn't even be upset if they took him back. Sidney and Harvin could use a guy like him and after an offseason working with the QB(whoever it will be................. :cry: ) I fully believe he could contribute handsomely to the offense as well. Add in some motivation to prove doubters wrong and someone will be getting a gem on the cheap next year.
:cry: Another wise and insightful posting. I can't believe that people think a guy can learn three different play books and play with four or five different QBs and expect him to perform well. And other than Brady, all those QBs pretty much sucked.

:goodposting: It drives me crazy when people just assert things as facts when they have no evidence.As far as OP's question, he will play again. Where? Too early to tell. He probably won't sign until after the draft and maybe even later. STL could use him for sure. Miami? He would help Marshall out by being a true deep threat. Bears lack a legit WR and he could really help stretch the field for them. How about Detroit to play opposite Megatron? You sign him to an incentive laden contract, with a Vet Minimum only guaranteed, but lots of money if he performs well. Little risk and a lot of potential gain.People who think he can't play are fooling themselves. He can if he wants to and he will if he has the right HC, QB, and incentives.
It's best not to listen to Lhucks the game has passed him by

i think he is mostly done. i don't think he has the heart now that he can't get by on just his natural talent.

if mcdaniels get hired as an o-coordinator maybe he goes there. maybe carolina?

As a Moss owner in my main league, I say, "THANK GOD!" He was wasting away in Tennessee. Sign him up with a high powered offense, PLEASE!?

Its never mentioned as it would never happen, but Moss to the Falcons would be sick. He would be a perfect compliment to Roddy White.

His skills have declined, but it just highlights how very difficult an in-season team change for a WR is.

I was stunned at the # of people that thought him going back to MN was an upgrade over his situation with the Pats (and experience with Brady).

I don't think Moss to Atlanta would be a bad fit. ATL needs a 2 (and I think they're going to have quite a few name options this offseason)

The CBA issue will most likely end Moss's career. In a normal year a team might bring him in and try to get him motivated and invested, but with the CBA issues Moss will likely remain a free agent for months. During this time he will drink "Blue Moon" and smoke every "Blue Moon" and will get out of shape. Then no team will want him.

Users who are viewing this thread