What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Broncos Hire John Fox (1 Viewer)

jeter23

Footballguy
@johnelway: I am excited to announce that John Fox has agreed to terms to become the 14th head coach in Denver Broncos history.

Not bad for Deymarius Thomas and Brandon Lloyd dynasty owners. John Fox abandons the run once he is down by 2 points!

A positive for Moreno, no?
Would have to think so. I can see the Dumervil~Peppers type connection and the Moreno~DWIL type connections.I think it means that it is likely Moreno is sharing a backfield going forward but i kind of like that because A)Fox has shown that multiple guys can have value in that scenario and B)it might be a benefit to Moreno holding up all year.

I like the move. Fox is a known commodity and I think a good coach. With Elway saying he doesn't think Tim Tebow is a good QB at this point, I wonder if there's a mandate to keep Orton or if they're committing to a draft choice.

I like it, he can hit the ground running and get things moving in the right direction quickly.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the move. Fox is a known commodity and I think a good coach. With Elway saying he doesn't think Tim Tebow is a good QB at this point, I wonder if there's a mandate to keep Orton or if they're committing to a draft choice.
Good question Jason. I like the hire too. Seems stupid of Carolina to let it play out like this. Would Bronco fans rather have Rivera or Fox? I'd guess most would say Fox. Oh well.On the Tebow thing - how much do you read into Elway's statement that he tried to backpedal from? I tend to think it was more an inexperience thing on his part. He seems to be liking this spotlight thing again and I'm thinking we might be reading too much into it.What do you think?J

Good question Jason. I like the hire too. Seems stupid of Carolina to let it play out like this. Would Bronco fans rather have Rivera or Fox? I'd guess most would say Fox. Oh well.On the Tebow thing - how much do you read into Elway's statement that he tried to backpedal from? I tend to think it was more an inexperience thing on his part. He seems to be liking this spotlight thing again and I'm thinking we might be reading too much into it.What do you think?J
Yeah I honestly don't know, Joe. I think it's hard to imagine the Broncos legendary QB coming home to roost, saying he doesn't think Tebow is a good QB (at least right now) and then not drawing some conclusion from it. But hopefully Elway also trusts his personnel people and the coaches to give him an evaluation of the signal callers, even if it doesn't jive with his current instincts.

I like the hire for Denver. They couldn't bring in another McDaniel here, they needed someone with some NFL coaching experience. He's won in the past and a solid coach. Fans may have wanted a sexier pick but I think it's solid.

I like John Fox allot. I think he brings to the table stability which Denver needs now more then ever.

I think it's a solid hire. Fox did a nice job of fielding a competitive team for a long time in Carolina, despite never having a top QB. That's not easy to do year after year in the NFL.

The personnel decisions in Carolina weren't great, and they hung onto Delhomme too long.

But if Tebow is the man, and if he becomes a solid QB, Fox can do some nice things there.

I think the Denver organization has alot more going for it than Carolina, though Fox has some serious work to do on the defensive side of the ball.

Broncos took a chance on one of the young, up-and-coming coaches, got burned by it, so now they're going back to a safe, if not spectacular, NFL retread. Makes sense.

Fox is a good coach, this season notwithstanding. I think he'll be a good fit in Denver.
I think Fox is a good coach too. He inherited a 1-15 team and took them to 7-9 in his first year, and then to the Super Bowl in his second year. We (the Panthers) went to the Super Bowl once under Fox, the NFC championship twice, and the playoffs in three different seasons. We had a good possibility of making it to the playoffs in some other seasons, but we had a freak number of injuries during Fox's tenure. Fox did make some mistakes as coach, but all coaches do. This past season was bad, but Richardson made it very hard for Fox to succeed this year. Richardson basically had Fox gut the team of veterans, and then gave him no funds to sign good free agents or resign others who contracts were ending. The team product this year was more a reflection of Richardson preparing for a lockout, than a reflection of Fox's coaching. I thought it was disrespectful for Richardson to send out an apology letter to all the PSL owners, without telling Fox, for the horrible season this year. Fox found out about the letter from the press. Ultimately, I think Fox needed a new change of scenery, and I think the Panthers also needed a new change too. One thing Fox has always had, and will always have, is the players respect. They have always loved playing for him.

I'm very excited about this, not so much because I think Fox is an awesome coach, but more because it says good things about the decision making process in John Elway's front office infancy. They needed an experienced head coach and they got one.

T.Rex said:
I like John Fox allot. I think he brings to the table stability which Denver needs now more then ever.
I just don't get this. The guy has been head coach of the Panthers for 9 years and has three winning seasons over that nine year run. Not to mention that after 9 years, the Panthers have been squarely his team for some time. Under his watch they developed a reputation for disappointing results given their talent level and choking down the stretch.It would be one thing if he put together a couple of winning seasons back to back, but there's just no consistency with him other than that he hovered close to .500 for 5 out of his 9 years there. Of the three winning seasons he had, they were 11 and 12 win seasons. But two of those seasons came during the first four years of his tenure while he was still turning over the team and making it his own. Over the last five seasons, he's had one winning season and is coming off the second worst season in the franchise's history.If we give him credit for getting the team into the playoffs a mere two seasons after they went 1-15 in Seifert's last year, doesn't he also get the blame for taking his own 12-4 team in 2008 down to 2-14 this past year? I'm open to the possibility that he's a better coach than his record indicates. But after 9 seasons and being an annual underwhelmer, is there something else to point to that explains how the Pantheres regularly underperformed during his tenure?

I'm happy. Fox is basically the anti-McD. He brings a stout D, commitment to a running game, loyalty to his QB, ability to share in decision making processes, experience, and most of all, integrity.

It's not a sexy pick, but right now Denver is not one of those teams looking to go from good to great, it's a team looking to get back to good, and that's something that Fox has demonstrated he can do.

The Broncos as a franchise has lost a lot of luster with the handling of Jay Cutler and the mess left by Josh McDaniels. The goal is to earn some respect. Does John Fox do that? I don't know. I feel like this is a stopgap move. They had to get rid of McDaniels and this was the best they could do. For now.

I think the key is that Fox is considered a player's coach, while McDaniels alienated a lot of people.

Media here's already speculating that current OC Mike McCoy stays on since he's worked with Fox before and now has a year of working with Tebow under his belt. Don't know what to think of that. Rather they bring in strong coordinators on both sides of the ball to give both units an identity, kinda like KC did with Weiss and Crennell. Jim Mora's already being mentioned for DC.

Joe Bryant said:
Jason Wood said:
Good question Jason. I like the hire too. Seems stupid of Carolina to let it play out like this. Would Bronco fans rather have Rivera or Fox? I'd guess most would say Fox. Oh well.

On the Tebow thing - how much do you read into Elway's statement that he tried to backpedal from? I tend to think it was more an inexperience thing on his part. He seems to be liking this spotlight thing again and I'm thinking we might be reading too much into it.

What do you think?

J
I almost ran off the road from laughter when I heard about this hire. Yes, I'd take Rivera over Fox at this point in time every day of the week and twice on Sunday. Rivera may end up tanking, but Fox will tank 2 out of every 3 seasons. Here's what you need to know about Fox...1) He's loyal to his veteran's to a fault. It may play out well for a season with the "respect" he gets, but ultimately you need to put the best talent on the field.

2) I think the game has gotten too complicated for Fox. He consistantly makes the worst coaches challenges of any coach I've seen in the league. Here's the data from 2008 http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id...aches-challenge Here's a quote from Pat Yasinskas from this year "When it comes to challenging replays, Fox swung five times and missed five times. Six other coaches haven’t won a challenge yet, but none of them has challenged as many times as Fox."

3) Ultimately the play calling is Fox's responsibility. Get ready for predictable and unimaginitive. You might as well erase the screen play from the the Broncos play book. Even if Fox wasn't calling the plays, he gets the rap for agreeing to hires like Jeff Davidson from the Brownies. Hopefully Orton comes back for the Broncos because Fox won't be able to figure out how to use Tebow.

4) Fox can't handle clock management. He's a nice enough guy, but I really don't think he's bright enough to compete with his current counterparts. Beyond that that, he'll out fox himself often. 1st and goal at the one...let's bring Williams and Stewart to the bench and sub in the 3rd string back.

5) Get ready for a vanilla defense. The blitz is a thing of the past in Denver. Rivers basically just got another two bye weeks with this hire.

Sorry Bronco fans, it is what it is.

Jason Wood said:
Joe Bryant said:
Jason Wood said:
Good question Jason. I like the hire too. Seems stupid of Carolina to let it play out like this. Would Bronco fans rather have Rivera or Fox? I'd guess most would say Fox. Oh well.

On the Tebow thing - how much do you read into Elway's statement that he tried to backpedal from? I tend to think it was more an inexperience thing on his part. He seems to be liking this spotlight thing again and I'm thinking we might be reading too much into it.

What do you think?

J
Yeah I honestly don't know, Joe. I think it's hard to imagine the Broncos legendary QB coming home to roost, saying he doesn't think Tebow is a good QB (at least right now) and then not drawing some conclusion from it. But hopefully Elway also trusts his personnel people and the coaches to give him an evaluation of the signal callers, even if it doesn't jive with his current instincts.
JIVE? :D Elway can't speak jive.FOX. This was the first moment I saw the news and this is exactly what I did: :thumbup: Not upset, which I really feared being a Broncos fan, but not excited either, like I had hoped (for a big name). 10 minutes later, I am already warming up to it, however. I have always liked Fox for the most part and think he has some real excuses for not getting over the hump. I feel much better than if it were another untested coach, that's for sure.

Some emphasis on D, finally, man was that needed. I hope it's Bowers. Or even Dareus over Fairley. Fairley kind of scares me.

Media here's already speculating that current OC Mike McCoy stays on since he's worked with Fox before and now has a year of working with Tebow under his belt. Don't know what to think of that. Rather they bring in strong coordinators on both sides of the ball to give both units an identity, kinda like KC did with Weiss and Crennell. Jim Mora's already being mentioned for DC.
Strong coordinators :thumbup: Likely he's scouting the Bills, Browns, or Dolphins for an OC if Jeff Davidson doesn't join him.

jeter23 said:
@johnelway: I am excited to announce that John Fox has agreed to terms to become the 14th head coach in Denver Broncos history.
That didn't take long... at least Fox doesn't mind sucky QBs

Joe Bryant said:
Jason Wood said:
Most Panthers fans would prefer Rivera... Fox sucks.And my comment earlier about Fox liking crappy QBs, that was in reference to Tebow, not Orton, who I expect to go elsewhere this offseason.

Don't like the hire at all. Also don't think John Elway should be making the decisions....great players don't make great coaches/talent evaluators. Much less telling everyone all the details of coaching coming in via Twitter and the announcement of hiring.

Can anyone honestly say they think Fox has enough to take a team all the way? Even if he's a solid coach (which I'm not convinced he is), he reeks of mediocrity. The kind of coach that may be able to get you to the playoffs on a regular basis but never much further.

I almost ran off the road from laughter when I heard about this hire. Yes, I'd take Rivera over Fox at this point in time every day of the week and twice on Sunday.
Why is it you switched from growing up a Chicago Bears fan to becoming a Panthers fan?
I finally warmed up to supporting the local team. Not much Bear talk here in the south and less TV time with them sucking it up so bad since the Ditka days until the Super Bowl appearance. I really enjoyed watching Steve Smith play. Delhomme was a great story and nice guy to root for. Foxy was definately an improvement over Capers and Siefert. I think he did well when he got here, but the NFL seems to be changing and getting more complicated. He just doesn't have IT to keep up with his counterparts.

I almost ran off the road from laughter when I heard about this hire. Yes, I'd take Rivera over Fox at this point in time every day of the week and twice on Sunday. Rivera may end up tanking, but Fox will tank 2 out of every 3 seasons. Here's what you need to know about Fox...

1) He's loyal to his veteran's to a fault. It may play out well for a season with the "respect" he gets, but ultimately you need to put the best talent on the field.

2) I think the game has gotten too complicated for Fox. He consistantly makes the worst coaches challenges of any coach I've seen in the league. Here's the data from 2008 http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id...aches-challenge Here's a quote from Pat Yasinskas from this year "When it comes to challenging replays, Fox swung five times and missed five times. Six other coaches haven’t won a challenge yet, but none of them has challenged as many times as Fox."

3) Ultimately the play calling is Fox's responsibility. Get ready for predictable and unimaginitive. You might as well erase the screen play from the the Broncos play book. Even if Fox wasn't calling the plays, he gets the rap for agreeing to hires like Jeff Davidson from the Brownies. Hopefully Orton comes back for the Broncos because Fox won't be able to figure out how to use Tebow.

4) Fox can't handle clock management. He's a nice enough guy, but I really don't think he's bright enough to compete with his current counterparts. Beyond that that, he'll out fox himself often. 1st and goal at the one...let's bring Williams and Stewart to the bench and sub in the 3rd string back.

5) Get ready for a vanilla defense. The blitz is a thing of the past in Denver. Rivers basically just got another two bye weeks with this hire.

Great. Two things you say he's horrible at: clock management and challenges, are probably my two biggest pet peeves with NFL coaches. I still can't believe it when I see coaches flub that stuff. I guess I did not watch enough of the Panthers to see this ineptitude and I know to trust your judgement. I can only pray that a new OC will curtail it, but if this continues in Denver, I will go completely bonkers watching games. Crap! :confused: Thanks, you could not have bummed me out more just now, ### #### it.

Great. Two things you say he's horrible at: clock management and challenges, are probably my two biggest pet peeves with NFL coaches. I still can't believe it when I see coaches flub that stuff. I guess I did not watch enough of the Panthers to see this ineptitude and I know to trust your judgement. I can only pray that a new OC will curtail it, but if this continues in Denver, I will go completely bonkers watching games. Crap! :thumbup:

Thanks, you could not have bummed me out more just now, ### #### it.
Even the 4-12 Broncos were a better watch and got more air time than the 2-14 Panthers.

One thing I heard about the hiring on local radio was that Elway make a hire based on being able to keep more control over the team. My impression is that Elway is a smart guy and may be able to work around Fox's shortcomings.

A poster over at OrangeMane posted these Panthers as free agents:

DeAngelo Williams (CAR) – Jonathan Stewart and the emergence of Mike Goodson could make DeAngelo Williams expendable to the Panthers. After a short-lived, ineffective 2010 season, a tag and trade seems less likely. If he’s an unrestricted free agent after this year, Williams could leave Carolina for a team willing to offer him a starting position and the money that comes along with it.

Ryan Kalil (CAR) – The Panthers have an uphill battle to return to the playoffs and seemingly have holes at nearly every position. However, center is not one of them, with Ryan Kalil playing consistently good football for them for the entirety of his rookie contract.

Charles Johnson (CAR) – Julius who? The Panthers replaced Peppers with 2007 3rd round pick, who quietly reached double digit sacks and surpassed Peppers’ sack total this year.

James Anderson (CAR) – The breakout of strongside linebacker James Anderson has been one of the bright spot for the Panthers. Anderson has done a nice job of filling the stat sheet and has been every bit as productive for the Panthers defense as it looks on paper.

Thomas Davis (CAR) – Before suffering a torn ACL, Thomas Davis was having his best season as the Panthers’ outside linebacker. Shortly after recovering, Davis suffered a 2nd torn ACL, which has kept him off the field for all of 2010. Who knows how effective he’ll be when he returns to the field.

Richard Marshall (CAR) – Marshall has been okay in coverage over the years, but good in run support. He won’t be at the top of the Panthers priority list,

Fox has some well known highly regarded friends. Curious about his staff before judging this one.

I think this is a good hire. He is a good coach and will have a good QB to help him on his way. Someone above asked if he could go all the way. He did get to two divisional championships and a SB with Carolina. That is not too shabby. If he can get the Broncos to be a regular playoff team and do that in the next 9 years he will be idolized.

I hope beyond hope he does not bring in DWill. They should aggressively go after NA-CB Raiders. They desperately need help at DT(id they g to a 4-3) 2-3 LB spots, S, and even CB. The defense is a mess.

Joe Bryant said:
Jason Wood said:

What do you think?

J
I almost ran off the road from laughter when I heard about this hire. Yes, I'd take Rivera over Fox at this point in time every day of the week and twice on Sunday. Rivera may end up tanking, but Fox will tank 2 out of every 3 seasons. Here's what you need to know about Fox...1) He's loyal to his veteran's to a fault. It may play out well for a season with the "respect" he gets, but ultimately you need to put the best talent on the field.

Was it a vanilla defense that took Carolina's last ranked defense to 2nd ranked defense in Fox's first season as head coach?? I know Julius Peppers had a lot to do with that, but if he can just get the Broncos to middle of the pac kon defense in his first year, I'll be happy.

Users who are viewing this thread