What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Fred Taylor goes to New England (1 Viewer)

Capybara

Footballguy
Anyone else concerned that Fred will have a slow week against the Pats? It looks like another defensive battle in New England again this week.

This is an obvious "don't bench your studs" situation. Yes, NE's defense is very good, but I have a hard time seeing how anybody could be so rich at RB that they could afford to bench Taylor. (If your RB corp is Portis/Lewis/Taylor/Henry or somesuch, don't humiliate yourself by responding).If face this situation in one of my playoffs next week, and am starting Taylor without hesitation. I won't be surprised if I end up with a poor outing, but you have to start your studs and give them a chance to justify your having drafted them in the first place.

I got screwed with Ricky at NE last week and Taylor at NE this week. Needless to say, I'm not counting on very much from him.

Sorry to throw this out there, but nothing would make me happier than another huge snowstorm shutout from the Pats D. My playoff opponent has JLew and FredT - down days from both backs is my best chance to advance, and JLew gets Oakland. Needless to say, I am hoping the Pats shut Freddie down.

i thought that fred taylor was a great running back. what's everybody scared for?
Fred is a good to great RB. However, his supporting cast isn't the greatest and NE can shut down an offense's #1 option just about as well as anybody. Hence the concern.

This is an obvious "don't bench your studs" situation. Yes, NE's defense is very good, but I have a hard time seeing how anybody could be so rich at RB that they could afford to bench Taylor. (If your RB corp is Portis/Lewis/Taylor/Henry or somesuch, don't humiliate yourself by responding).If face this situation in one of my playoffs next week, and am starting Taylor without hesitation. I won't be surprised if I end up with a poor outing, but you have to start your studs and give them a chance to justify your having drafted them in the first place.
I'm actually considering benching him for Barber. It will give me something to torment my mind with between now and Sunday.

When you look at the numbers, fred has not been a stud rb. he is a solid #2 that performs well against bad teams and bad against good teams. NE at home is very good. I will be benching him for barlow with zero trepidation. i predict 70 yards and 0 tds.

Fred has played a hellacious run-defense schedule this year on a bad offensive team, yet has averaged 14.3 points per game, with a median of 12.2. Certainly not Priest Holmes numbers, but he doesn't have Priest's dominant O-line or Priest's cakewalk of a schedule. You don't draft a guy like this to bench him during your playoffs. Win with him or go down with him-- that's what I'll do.

I think this is the perfect time to bench your "stud". Jacksonville is 0-6 on the road. NE is 6-0 at home. NE is tough against the run. The weather could be bad again, if not snow, at least cold. NE proved they can shut down a stud just last week....I would start any other viable RB who has a better match-up this week.

NE's D is one badmother####er. I am starting Fred as my RB3 like I have been though - not much choice. (see sig for Roster) Fred will get his touches though and he can be flat out sick at times. They just have to figure out other ways to get him the ball than just running off-tackle against this tough D. I have no prediction - but am hopeful for some receiving yards and a TD.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pats have only allowed one 100 yard rusher this season and that was the super RB Portis in Denver and the Pats best defensive player, All-Pro DT Richard Seymour, was out.I think Fred will be "contained". The Jags offense is much better then Miami's with guys like Leftwhich, a better offensive line, Fred, Jimmy, KJ, and Brady. So I think Fred will get 100 combined yards and a TD.

So I think Fred will get 100 combined yards and a TD.
:thumbup: That's what I like to see!!!(how do I quote and keep the poster's name/time up there??)...or even change the original content!
You need to hit the "Quote" button at the top of the original post. You can then go in and edit the quote itself, and only keep what you need...

So I think Fred will get 100 combined yards and a TD.
:thumbup: That's what I like to see!!!(how do I quote and keep the poster's name/time up there??)...or even change the original content!
You need to hit the "Quote" button at the top of the original post. You can then go in and edit the quote itself, and only keep what you need...
:thumbup: Genius.

I am just being a pessimistic Pats fan.The reality is that Fred will get -3 yards rushing and two fumbles. ;) :P

The highs in Foxboro are only forecasted for 34 degrees. However, it should be sunny to partly cloudy and I'll be starting him over Pittman and Jamel White as my only other options to go with Portis.

I'm about 50/50 today for benching/starting Taylor for Bettis as Jamal Lewis is my No.1.Bettis has the N.Y. Jets and his probably going to get the ball 25 times. How could one not at least very seriously consider starting him over Taylor vs. New England.Bettis should get 100 yds and a TD vs. Jets.

I'm about 50/50 today for benching/starting Taylor for Bettis as Jamal Lewis is my No.1.Bettis has the N.Y. Jets and his probably going to get the ball 25 times. How could one not at least very seriously consider starting him over Taylor vs. New England.Bettis should get 100 yds and a TD vs. Jets.
I hear ya, but I dont think I can sit Taylor for Bettis....but I may start Bettis over Mason @ FLEX. I also have Dillon and he is getting a lot of love on these boards. Bettis has the best matchup, but Fred has looked really really good the last few weeks. I just dont think I can sit him...but I guess we shall see. If there is ever a week to make the right call, it is this week....

Pats have only allowed one 100 yard rusher this season and that was the super RB Portis in Denver and the Pats best defensive player, All-Pro DT Richard Seymour, was out.I think Fred will be "contained". The Jags offense is much better then Miami's with guys like Leftwhich, a better offensive line, Fred, Jimmy, KJ, and Brady. So I think Fred will get 100 combined yards and a TD.
Agree. 120 combo yards and a TD. 1 TD for Jimmy Sniff.Pats 31Jags 14

Well this could not be much worse of a matchup for Taylor. Figures last week I had a bye with the back field of Lewis and Taylor. I am stuck between benching Taylor for Moe. I think I am still going with Taylor he helped get me there. Is Bennett out this week if so that makes my decision that much harder.

I have no choice but to start him. In a 16 team league, you are lucky to have 2 starting RB's. Mine are McCallister and Taylor.Anyway.. hoping to get some points either way with NE Defense also.

Taylor is hot & definitely benefiting from defense keeping games close and Leftwich maturing and getting comfortable with J Smith.HOWEVER...I am seriously considering picking up (can't believe I'm typing this) Thomas Jones to start over Taylor. Against tough run Ds (Car, Buff, Balt, Tenn, Mia) Taylor has averaged just over 60 yds/game.

I'm stuck with starting Taylor as my RB2 vs. NE bc I traded all my RB depth for the playoff push. Better believe if I had Bettis in the fold he would get the nod. As someone else said, FT is not a "stud." He's a very good RB2. This is a horrid matchup for FT, if you have beter options, go to them.

yeah, i'm pretty worried. i guess i'll have to start e.james this week to go with j.lewis and bench freddies ####. :thumbup:

Sportsline feels there are only 13 better options than Fred this week:1. Priest Holmes 2. Clinton Portis 3. Ahman Green 4. Marshall Faulk 5. LaDainian Tomlinson 6. Jamal Lewis 7. Stephen Davis 8. Deuce McAllister 9. Edgerrin James 10. Shaun Alexander 11. Ricky Williams 12. Travis Henry 13. Tiki Barber 14. FRED TAYLOR

I don't think things look very good for Freddy T this weekend.I'm actually considering sitting him for K. Faulk or Double D if he's recovered by gametime.I'll probably still wind up playing him though... and suffering the consequences.

Against tough run Ds (Car, Buff, Balt, Tenn, Mia) Taylor has averaged just over 60 yds/game.
:thumbup: The specifics (rushing yards, receiving, TD's)CAR 71,51,0BUF 71,10,0MIA 35,64,0BAL 78,30,0TEN 65,0,0

Sportsline feels there are only 13 better options than Fred this week:1. Priest Holmes 2. Clinton Portis 3. Ahman Green 4. Marshall Faulk 5. LaDainian Tomlinson 6. Jamal Lewis 7. Stephen Davis 8. Deuce McAllister 9. Edgerrin James 10. Shaun Alexander 11. Ricky Williams 12. Travis Henry 13. Tiki Barber 14. FRED TAYLOR
Whats the concensus on Sportsline?? Ive never used the site, so I dont know what to think of the rankings. How have they been so far this year? For those who use the site, do you like their input?

I don't think things look very good for Freddy T this weekend.I'm actually considering sitting him for K. Faulk or Double D if he's recovered by gametime.I'll probably still wind up playing him though... and suffering the consequences.
I'm in the same boat, FTaylor, DD vs. TB, or a Sunken Shipp. Who would've thought at the beginning of the season, I would be contemplating starting a hurt Houston RB vs. TB over a healthy Fred Taylor vs. NE in a key week 15 playoff matchup? Things don't change too quickly in the NFL do they?

Well, my only real options other than Fred are:Hambrick against the G'ints (nice matchup, but Hambone doesn't thrill me)Plaxico against the Jets (Jets don't give up many receiving TD's, because teams run all over them)Warrick against the 49's (but I'm already starting Chad Johnson, so don't want to double-dip)Booker against Vikes (Grossman is starting; nuff said)Rudi against the 49's (not enough touches)So, with those choices above, I'm pretty much stuck with Fred.

My options instead of FTaylor are MBennett (assuming he can go) or ATrain. Since Grossman is starting in Chicago and they figure to feed ATrain a ton, that might not be a bad option.

Well, my only real options other than Fred are:Hambrick against the G'ints (nice matchup, but Hambone doesn't thrill me)Plaxico against the Jets (Jets don't give up many receiving TD's, because teams run all over them)Warrick against the 49's (but I'm already starting Chad Johnson, so don't want to double-dip)Booker against Vikes (Grossman is starting; nuff said)Rudi against the 49's (not enough touches)So, with those choices above, I'm pretty much stuck with Fred.
check your schedule. first two are week 16.

im starting thomas jones and kevan barlow and benching tayloronly 1 point for every 30 yards and 6 for td'staylor hasnt exactly been hot in the td catagory for awhile

:thumbup: The specifics (rushing yards, receiving, TD's)CAR 71,51,0BUF 71,10,0MIA 35,64,0BAL 78,30,0TEN 65,0,0
Allow me to inject some sanity back into the discussion. In his six games against the teams listed, Taylor has 97 carries for 368 yards. That's 3.8 ypc, which is a decent average considering the defenses involved and is higher than Ricky Williams's or Edgerrin James's averages for the entire year. The Jax D will keep the game close and the coaching staff is now committed to making sure Fred carries the ball 20-30 times a game, plus the handful of receptions he generally gets. Given Taylor's ability to break a long run on any given play, you'd be nuts to bench him for anyone but the most elite back. It's much easier to suffer through the long off-season knowing you've lost with your best player rather than with some scrub you tossed in based on a match-up.

You should be. That D shut down that worthless piece of #### Williams last week which cost my all star team 1st place and 900 dollars.

nice job born agian shark - fred hasent got many passes for the last 5-6 weeksi don't think he has any i hope your right about the close d but i just don't see it because its at NE

Users who are viewing this thread