What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Football Manager (2 Viewers)

Just tried to sign Pulisic,

Got the deal negotiated with Dortmund at £20M, then his contract demands came in - wanted £105K/week, which I probably could have negotiated to a reasonable amount - but the kicker was he wanted £185K/week after 5 games.

Told him to #### off.

Took it for a spin last night.  Still a little buggy.

A few new things to figure out:  New staff roles - Sports Scientists (?) part of the medical staff, presumably will supplement the physios.  Data Analysts, part of the scouting staff.

A couple of new camera angles that I like.  First is a "Data Analyst" view - scrolls along the sideline at roughly roof level - helps when you are working on tactics and want to see team shape.  It shows all the outfield players at one time.  Second is a new behind the goal camera.  Its lower than the previous camera, and it switches ends depending on where the ball is - so you always see the play unfolding before you - like a GK would.  It takes a little bit to get used to the camera switching when the ball crosses midfield, but its not too dizzying.  This is a hog on your video card though - my Mac is a few years old and it was not always a clean shot - an occasional stutter/flutter.  But I still liked it.

They have "updated" how things are communicated - you get more emails, and see "tweets" etc. I like what they have done with the backroom updates - the presentation of their advice is a little cleaner.

They have a new layout for the squad depth charts - I'll just say its "different"  I used the old version a lot, so I was used to where everything was - now its not yet intuitive, but it might be better over time, it will just take me awhile to get used to the new layouts.

I do like the squad overview - they layout the strengths and weaknesses of the club and where you can upgrade.

Of course, Spurs are crazy good in this edition.  Many of the players have improved quite a bit over last year's version, and with goals of CL qualifying, and CL Quarterfinals you start with a transfer budget of £67M and a wage budget of £2.1M/week (they are only spending £1.6M).

I am not saying I have a problem - per se - or that I am taking my personal rivalry with Liverpool too far - but I did just fire up a new FM17 save for the sole purpose of seeing Liverpool relegated.

So far I have not been sacked - despite a 0-1-5 pre-season where Liverpool were outscored 22-8.  I have made a few transactions to help the cause:

Sold:

1. Coutinho - £20M to PSG
  2. Can - £11.5M to Real Madrid
  3. Sturridge - £10M to Wolfsburg
  4. Lovren - £10M to Guangzhou 
  5. Firmino - £10M to Dortmund
  6. Mane - £10M to Monaco
  7. Origi - £8M to BMG
Bought Re-invested:

1. Nacir Chadli - £57M, 5 years £275k/week
  2. Ben Mee - £30M, 5 years £130k/week
  3. Stefano Okaka - £30M, 5 years £120k/week
  4. James Chester- £20M, 5 years £120k/week
  5. Wayne Hennessey - £15M, 5 years £100k/week
  6. Ross McCormack - £15M, 5 years £110k/week
  7. Cameron Jerome - £5.75M, 5 years, £53k/week, with a clause increasing wages by 50% each year

I have mutually terminated most of the key staff.  My transfer budget is currently £0, my wage budget is £2.7M/week, and I am spending £2.9M/week.

I have chewed out the players after every match.  Told them to shut up when they were complaining about having no depth.  I have played every player who is injured, but still healthy enough to play, 90 minutes.  I stripped Henderson of the captaincy, and as soon as he complained - I put him on the block (Accepted an off from Aston Villa).  Squad demanded a team meeting, where I told them to sit down and shut up, I was running things my way.  Sadly, they all agreed that was the best, so it actually boosted morale...

I'll give it 5 league matches before I am sacked.  But, before I am done, they will be liquidating the Red Sox to fix the problem...

ETA - since I am starting the injured Karius in goal in the opener, Sakho gets the armband for the home opener against Leicester 

Last edited by a moderator:
Its been a rough start for my Reds.

Dropped a 0-5 decision at home to Leicester, followed by a close 2-1 loss at Man City, and an 0-2 loss to Arsenal.  Fortunately, the lads played hard in a 3-1 win over Scunthorpe in teh second round of the League Cup to keep me in my job.  Board thinks we can be doing slightly better...

Turns our Henderson rejected Aston Villa, no nobody wants him.  Apparently a cancer in the clubhouse.

You need some innovative tactics.  You should roll out a 4-2-4 or something.  Also, always tell the lads to get stuck in so that you have some injuries and suspensions to deal with.  Really the test of a good gaffer.

I am not saying I have a problem - per se - or that I am taking my personal rivalry with Liverpool too far - but I did just fire up a new FM17 save for the sole purpose of seeing Liverpool relegated.

So far I have not been sacked - despite a 0-1-5 pre-season where Liverpool were outscored 22-8.  I have made a few transactions to help the cause:

Sold:

1. Coutinho - £20M to PSG
  2. Can - £11.5M to Real Madrid
  3. Sturridge - £10M to Wolfsburg
  4. Lovren - £10M to Guangzhou 
  5. Firmino - £10M to Dortmund
  6. Mane - £10M to Monaco
  7. Origi - £8M to BMG
Bought Re-invested:

1. Nacir Chadli - £57M, 5 years £275k/week
  2. Ben Mee - £30M, 5 years £130k/week
  3. Stefano Okaka - £30M, 5 years £120k/week
  4. James Chester- £20M, 5 years £120k/week
  5. Wayne Hennessey - £15M, 5 years £100k/week
  6. Ross McCormack - £15M, 5 years £110k/week
  7. Cameron Jerome - £5.75M, 5 years, £53k/week, with a clause increasing wages by 50% each year

I have mutually terminated most of the key staff.  My transfer budget is currently £0, my wage budget is £2.7M/week, and I am spending £2.9M/week.

I have chewed out the players after every match.  Told them to shut up when they were complaining about having no depth.  I have played every player who is injured, but still healthy enough to play, 90 minutes.  I stripped Henderson of the captaincy, and as soon as he complained - I put him on the block (Accepted an off from Aston Villa).  Squad demanded a team meeting, where I told them to sit down and shut up, I was running things my way.  Sadly, they all agreed that was the best, so it actually boosted morale...

I'll give it 5 league matches before I am sacked.  But, before I am done, they will be liquidating the Red Sox to fix the problem...

ETA - since I am starting the injured Karius in goal in the opener, Sakho gets the armband for the home opener against Leicester 
Seems like Shady tactics to me...

You need some innovative tactics.  You should roll out a 4-2-4 or something.  Also, always tell the lads to get stuck in so that you have some injuries and suspensions to deal with.  Really the test of a good gaffer.
Rolling with a 2-3-5 - attack mentality, high tempo, get stuck in, close down often, high defensive line

Deadline day - Clyne wanted out, so I sold him to Soton for £10M.

Thought I would re-invest in Patrick Van Aanholt, but Sunderland backed out after we had a deal because they could not find a replacement.  So, I used the funds to give Lucas a new 5-year deal - £125K/week, 50% raise each year. :thumbup:

Uh-oh, Sakho is out 8-10 weeks following a back injury over the international break.  He was crucial to my plans, with games at West Ham and Bournemouth coming up...

Remember this name, boys and girls:  Ross McCormack - future Liverpool Legend.

Scored a hat trick in the first half at West Ham, before his teammates let him down in the 2nd half settling for the 3-3 draw - but still a vital 1st point.

Could not contain Miroslav Klose, who scored a brace, leading Bournemouth to the 3-0 win.

But, the lads just won't quit on their gaffer, gutting out a grueling 1-2 win at Crystal Palace in the 3rd round of the League Cup.  Sadly, James Milner was left in after a slight knock, and now will miss two months with a hamstring injury.

Sadly, James Milner was left in after a slight knock, and now will miss two months with a hamstring injury.
:lol:

This is actually helpful to know. I always rush my players off the field when they have minor injuries, but I never really knew if that was necessary. Guess it is.

Uh-oh, Coutinho just sent me note that it pains him to see his former team struggle, and that I could find myself under increased pressure if I don't win the home match against Crystal Palace this weekend :oldunsure:

Gave the lads a good pep talk...

Turns out getting relegated is hard work.  Edged Palace 2-1 on a last minute goal, before dropping a 4-0 loss at Chelsea.  Sitting in 18th, on 4 points, -14 goal differential after 7 matches.  But, into the quarterfinals of the League Cup....

First time called in front of the board - told them there expectations were too high, Chelsea were simply a better squad.  They agreed.

Managed to sell Lalana at the January window, and bringing in Craig Bryson from Derby to replace him.  It should improve club morale, Lalana was really whining a lot.

Guess I am not out of the woods yet - facing another "must win" home against Burnley.  Squad is a bit short-handed, 3 players on the bench

2 minutes in, and its a nightmare start for Liverpool :oldunsure:   McCormack would draw level, before Matip concedes a late penalty, as Pool goes down in defeat...no call to the board yet...

Getting sacked by Liverpool is rather difficult.  Just got thrashed by Bob Bradley's Swans at home, told the board I needed another month - too many injuries.  Apparently my final warning...

Sitting 18th after 11 games, 7 points, -18 goal differential

Err... nevermind, the axe came swiftly, despite the good run...now we see if they can recover.  December 5th, a day that will live in infamy.
I'd hang on to a copy of your save at that point and maybe one of the Liverpool fans in here can try to swoop in for the rescue.

I'd hang on to a copy of your save at that point and maybe one of the Liverpool fans in here can try to swoop in for the rescue.
I went on holiday until the end of the season - cheating bastards stayed up - comfortably.

Only solace is Spurs won the league.  I also saddled Liverpool with a lot of bad contracts, so I'll go on holiday again until December, just to see if it has any impact on future transfer activity.  Otherwise, a busted experiment...and a busy day catching up on work tomorrow.

:lmao:   January 7, 2017 - Liverpool are in 1st place...

I clearly bought too well.  Next time I do this, I will have to be craftier...

Now, I am starting to feel like some of those Black Hats on WestWorld, maybe I went too far - Liverpool relegated again to Sky Bet League One :oldunsure:

On the plus side, they have stabilized their finances...

TOTTENHAM, HARINGEY, LONDON, ENGLAND, EUROPE, EARTH, SOLAR SYSTEM, MILKY WAY, UNIVERSE - Tempers flared among Spurs supporters today, ravenously upset over the "sacking" by that "BLOODY FOOKING YANK" of their beloved Tottenham Hotspurs.

Since arriving in London, Brady Marino has not spoken a single solitary word to the media, has yet to even meet the chairman, and he proceeded to sack every coach, and then replace them all with a lone hire: all-time Manchester United bust Winston Bogarde, who, you'll be happily to know, is also robbing Tottenham blind as Marino's one and only Assistant Coach.

Now, that might be the biggest news of the day except for the fact that Tottenham, as we know it, has been completely wiped away. Here's some highlights of Marino's, um, "activity."

OUT:

Harry Kane to Man U for $41 mil

Toby Alderweireld and Deli Ali to Liverpool for nothing. Yes, Liverpool didn't pay a single cent in transfer fees for these two studs. Nothing. Nada.

Hugo Lloris to PSG for $9.75 mil

Eric Dier to Man u for $27 mil

Erik Lamela to Bayern for $18.5 mil

Christian Eriksen to Juventus for $23 mil

IN:

Emile Heskey for $75 mil

Cedric Barbosa for $75 mil

If you haven't puked on your computer screen yet, there is a method to Marino's madness here, according to those close to him. And by "those close to him," I mean really shady people in black hoods.

First, Marino feels that Tottenham has lacked experience. So he went out and found the most "seasoned" veterans you can find. Second, he feels that busts like Cedric Barbosa, Xisco, and Eric Djemba-Djemba were just not utilized to their full potential and wants to bring "that surefire talent" out of some of the more underappreciated players on his roster. And third, being able to sell jerseys that say "Pele", "Roberto Carlos", "Drogba", and "Arshavin" and recycling the existing "Paulson" (fudged a bit to say "Poulsen") and "Dembele" (Marino feels one Dembele is just as good as another) jerseys should make up for any financial distress that may be caused in this "transition" period.

Meanwhile, no one knows where the chairman even is. He's believed to have been kidnapped...like the Spurs hopes for the next decade.

So the Spurs finished 2-2-1 in friendlies. Beat San Jose and a Scottish League One team handily, tied Albacete (Liga Adelante), lost to Rapid Bucharest 5-4 (Romanian 2nd division team), and got raped by Inter 5-0.

Should be a great year!

Users who are viewing this thread