Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Evilgrin 72

You're sitting in a restaurant

E-Cig in a non-smoking area  

315 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

For those of you who don't know, the newest smoking replacement device on the market is the personal vaporizer. We'll refer to it here as the e-cig, for the sake of brevity. To keep it in the simplest terms, it takes a solution of water, glycerin, flavoring, and nicotine (optional) and draws it into a vaporizer, which creates a flavored vapor that simulates cigarette smoke. It looks and feels (to the user) very much like smoke. However, no "smoke" comes off the "lit" end of the vaporizer, and the exhaled vapor, even though it looks like smoke, is essentially odorless, and dissipates almost immediately, rather than lingering like smoke. Since nothing is burning, and no actual smoke is being created, it's not subject to indoor smoking bans. Many of these devices light up blue or green so as not to be mistaken for actual cigarettes, but some are designed to look exactly like cigarettes. So, to the untrained eye, it would certainly appear as if a user is smoking a cigarette, you just won't smell anything nor inhale any second-hand smoke.

So, imagine someone is sitting in a restaurant, an office, a non-smoking bar, or anywhere else that doesn't permit smoking. Someone is brazenly puffing away on this thing, exhaling huge clouds of "smoke", yet you smell nothing, nothing is sticking to your clothes, you're not inhaling anything second hand. What is your take on this?

If you smoke, please choose option 5, "I'm a smoker." I want the opinions of fellow non-smokers here. :goodposting:

the exhaled vapor, even though it looks like smoke, is essentially odorless

is this true? havent seen the e-cig yet, but im familiar with other vaporizing products and the exhaled vapor is not odorless.

the exhaled vapor, even though it looks like smoke, is essentially odorless

is this true? havent seen the e-cig yet, but im familiar with other vaporizing products and the exhaled vapor is not odorless.
Let's call it 99% odorless. The only way you're going to smell it is if someone blows a cloud in your face, and even then, you'll get a second or two of a faint sweet smell not dissimilar to the "smoke" that comes out of a fog machine. If it's not exhaled directly at you, you won't smell it at all. Even from 3 feet away in a supermarket, it can't be detected (personal experience here.)

I went with 2 and 2, I might change my tune if I actually see one of these IRL. What's to stop someone from exhaling in my direction, while I am walking past them, while they are walking past me? I'd rather not be bothered with it. :lmao:

I went with 2 and 2, I might change my tune if I actually see one of these IRL. What's to stop someone from exhaling in my direction, while I am walking past them, while they are walking past me? I'd rather not be bothered with it. :lmao:

You're probably better off with someone exhaling in your direction WITH a vaporizer than without. Many people have atrocious breath.

Just going to periodically bump this. This is important research.

For those of you who don't know, the newest smoking replacement device on the market is the personal vaporizer. We'll refer to it here as the e-cig, for the sake of brevity. To keep it in the simplest terms, it takes a solution of water, glycerin, flavoring, and nicotine (optional) and draws it into a vaporizer, which creates a flavored vapor that simulates cigarette smoke. It looks and feels (to the user) very much like smoke. However, no "smoke" comes off the "lit" end of the vaporizer, and the exhaled vapor, even though it looks like smoke, is essentially odorless, and dissipates almost immediately, rather than lingering like smoke. Since nothing is burning, and no actual smoke is being created, it's not subject to indoor smoking bans. Many of these devices light up blue or green so as not to be mistaken for actual cigarettes, but some are designed to look exactly like cigarettes. So, to the untrained eye, it would certainly appear as if a user is smoking a cigarette, you just won't smell anything nor inhale any second-hand smoke.So, imagine someone is sitting in a restaurant, an office, a non-smoking bar, or anywhere else that doesn't permit smoking. Someone is brazenly puffing away on this thing, exhaling huge clouds of "smoke", yet you smell nothing, nothing is sticking to your clothes, you're not inhaling anything second hand. What is your take on this? If you smoke, please choose option 5, "I'm a smoker." I want the opinions of fellow non-smokers here. :)

I'm going to complain about it. For some reason smokers and homosexuals are fun to oppress.... :mellow::lmao:

For those of you who don't know, the newest smoking replacement device on the market is the personal vaporizer. We'll refer to it here as the e-cig, for the sake of brevity. To keep it in the simplest terms, it takes a solution of water, glycerin, flavoring, and nicotine (optional) and draws it into a vaporizer, which creates a flavored vapor that simulates cigarette smoke. It looks and feels (to the user) very much like smoke. However, no "smoke" comes off the "lit" end of the vaporizer, and the exhaled vapor, even though it looks like smoke, is essentially odorless, and dissipates almost immediately, rather than lingering like smoke. Since nothing is burning, and no actual smoke is being created, it's not subject to indoor smoking bans. Many of these devices light up blue or green so as not to be mistaken for actual cigarettes, but some are designed to look exactly like cigarettes. So, to the untrained eye, it would certainly appear as if a user is smoking a cigarette, you just won't smell anything nor inhale any second-hand smoke.So, imagine someone is sitting in a restaurant, an office, a non-smoking bar, or anywhere else that doesn't permit smoking. Someone is brazenly puffing away on this thing, exhaling huge clouds of "smoke", yet you smell nothing, nothing is sticking to your clothes, you're not inhaling anything second hand. What is your take on this? If you smoke, please choose option 5, "I'm a smoker." I want the opinions of fellow non-smokers here. :)

If going to complain about it. For some reason smokers and homosexuals are fun to oppress.... :mellow::lmao:
OK Tonto

E-smoke away as long as it's not causing health hazards to others.

Grins, we need your attention focused on figuring out how to implement public e-spheres of silence for the loud talkers - particularly those of the cell phone addicted variety. Stop wasting your time persecuting the virtual smokers.

E-smoke away as long as it's not causing health hazards to others. Grins, we need your attention focused on figuring out how to implement public e-spheres of silence for the loud talkers - particularly those of the cell phone addicted variety. Stop wasting your time persecuting the virtual smokers.

I'll work on this next. In a related issue, I'm working on a cure for crying babies. It involves a tube, a dart, and a heavy sedative. I don't know how well it's going to go over.

This is a weird question to me. Why would it bother anyone? There is no odor and no harmful effects. You simply don't like looking at someone who looks like they're smoking? :P

This is a weird question to me. Why would it bother anyone? There is no odor and no harmful effects. You simply don't like looking at someone who looks like they're smoking? :P

The thought of them puffing on that thing while grinning at me really chaps my bootay :(

:moneybag:

I'll start by stating, I am a smoker. I smoke with coffee in the morning, I smoke during work, I smoke after a meal, during a movie, after the secks, pretty much I LIKE to smoke. However I do not want it anywhere around me when I am eating. Those two things are completly seperate to me.

However, smokers no longer can smoke indoors, in bars, in planes. Great, I'm fine with that.....you dont want my smoke...I get it.

An e-cig loses ALL harmfull nicotine related effects once inhaled...so what is exhaled is basically on par with seeing someone freeze their nuts off outside in winter. Water Vapor!!!

I'm tempted to buy one of these thing and just puff away on it at my desk at work, in a movie thetre, etc etc....just for the pure spite factor. There will be people whining "OMG, he's smoking" but guess what, I'm not. So suck on it....and I dont mean an e-cig.

The same people that complain about smokers, are the people who go running/jogging on a street behind a bus inhaling exhaust....so tell me which, which is really worse?

/rant

I'll start by stating, I am a smoker. I smoke with coffee in the morning, I smoke during work, I smoke after a meal, during a movie, after the secks, pretty much I LIKE to smoke. However I do not want it anywhere around me when I am eating. Those two things are completly seperate to me. However, smokers no longer can smoke indoors, in bars, in planes. Great, I'm fine with that.....you dont want my smoke...I get it.An e-cig loses ALL harmfull nicotine related effects once inhaled...so what is exhaled is basically on par with seeing someone freeze their nuts off outside in winter. Water Vapor!!!I'm tempted to buy one of these thing and just puff away on it at my desk at work, in a movie thetre, etc etc....just for the pure spite factor. There will be people whining "OMG, he's smoking" but guess what, I'm not. So suck on it....and I dont mean an e-cig.The same people that complain about smokers, are the people who go running/jogging on a street behind a bus inhaling exhaust....so tell me which, which is really worse?/rant

See, this is why im against it. I cant stand to lose any battles :rant:

I think that one gripe people might have would be that it's setting a bad example for children. But beyond that I see no reason why they should be banned anywhere.

Had a buddy over for the UFC fight Saturday night using one of these in my living room about 3 feet away from me. Wouldn't have even noticed he was using one had I not brought it up and asked about it.

I'd say it's more obnoxious than the smell and sound of someone packing a dip within a few feet of you.

While it looks goofy I hope this becomes a trend for the remaining people out there who are smokers.

Had a buddy over for the UFC fight Saturday night using one of these in my living room about 3 feet away from me. Wouldn't have even noticed he was using one had I not brought it up and asked about it.I'd say it's more obnoxious than the smell and sound of someone packing a dip within a few feet of you.

I used to have a co=worker that dipped. I dont remember smelling any dip fumes? Must've had a weak brand? :rant:

Had a buddy over for the UFC fight Saturday night using one of these in my living room about 3 feet away from me. Wouldn't have even noticed he was using one had I not brought it up and asked about it.I'd say it's more obnoxious than the smell and sound of someone packing a dip within a few feet of you.

I used to have a co=worker that dipped. I dont remember smelling any dip fumes? Must've had a weak brand? :rant:
I dipped for 10 years - I can smell the real fruity stuff from 10-20 feet away and it makes me nauseous. :shrug:I'm really just making the point that these e-cigs are as inconspicuous as it gets.

This is a weird question to me. Why would it bother anyone? There is no odor and no harmful effects. You simply don't like looking at someone who looks like they're smoking? :rant:

and yet look at the results

This is a weird question to me. Why would it bother anyone? There is no odor and no harmful effects. You simply don't like looking at someone who looks like they're smoking? :rant:

The results say - If there is no smoke and I dont smell it, let em puff away anywhere they want.As he said, its the perceived notion of smoking = bad.....so if they do something resembling smoking it MUST be bad.

I'm that annoying anti-smoker guy... and unless these e-cigs stunk or got me covered in mist, I can't imagine caring that somebody needed to put a phallus in their mouth in public.

I think many of uscan't know. I have never been around an e-cir, but there are certainly public behaviors that are not covered by the smoking ban that might wanly me. Maybe you talk on your cell phone. Maybe your iPod plays Stan obnoxious volume. Maybe you have really annoying kids. I can't rule out the possibility that I would be tempted to complain.and if it annoyed enough patrons I would be fine with any restaurant asking you not to do it.

This is a weird question to me. Why would it bother anyone? There is no odor and no harmful effects. You simply don't like looking at someone who looks like they're smoking? :lol:

The results say - If there is no smoke and I dont smell it, let em puff away anywhere they want.As he said, its the perceived notion of smoking = bad.....so if they do something resembling smoking it MUST be bad.
I'm simply saying.... it's maybe not a weird question, even though perhaps it should be. Something like 20% of people either find it aesthetically bothersome or don't want it allowed in non-smoking areas.

I think many of uscan't know. I have never been around an e-cir, but there are certainly public behaviors that are not covered by the smoking ban that might wanly me. Maybe you talk on your cell phone. Maybe your iPod plays Stan obnoxious volume. Maybe you have really annoying kids. I can't rule out the possibility that I would be tempted to complain.and if it annoyed enough patrons I would be fine with any restaurant asking you not to do it.

If it legitimately annoyed patrons, sure. If it's simply a bunch of people like Boom Switch complaining out of spite, that's not right. I mean, if a restaurant asked you to stop discussing string theory because people at adjacent tables were eavesdropping and couldn't understand you, would you simply switch the topic to the Black Eyed Peas or The Flintstones just because other people weren't able to comprehend your conversation, despite it being none of their business?

If it legitimately annoyed patrons, sure. If it's simply a bunch of people like Boom Switch complaining out of spite, that's not right. I mean, if a restaurant asked you to stop discussing string theory because people at adjacent tables were eavesdropping and couldn't understand you, would you simply switch the topic to the Black Eyed Peas or The Flintstones just because other people weren't able to comprehend your conversation, despite it being none of their business?
Probably. But then, I've got a lot to say about The Flintstones, so...

I have so many visceral comments to make but alas this issue is so divided that it doesn't matter. The non smoking crew will complain until it's completely gone in all incarnations and the smokers would happily roll up the non smokers in a paper and light their collective arses on fire and exhale the lovely fumes. The twain shall never meet. The only side that I think should shut right the hell up are the non smokers that used to smoke and are now completely indignant about i, frankly they can kiss my smoking ####. Smoking is not religion folks, just because you're born again doesn't absolve you of your smoking past.

Went with smoker/no restrictions. I'm a little disappointed that this doesn't anger people more. Stuff like the Times Square smoking ban, when the gridlocked traffic in the area is a far greater air quality and health risk (with plenty of public transportation options) really bothers me. So anything I could do to thumb my nose at those people would be a positive.

I have so many visceral comments to make but alas this issue is so divided that it doesn't matter. The non smoking crew will complain until it's completely gone in all incarnations and the smokers would happily roll up the non smokers in a paper and light their collective arses on fire and exhale the lovely fumes. The twain shall never meet. The only side that I think should shut right the hell up are the non smokers that used to smoke and are now completely indignant about i, frankly they can kiss my smoking ####. Smoking is not religion folks, just because you're born again doesn't absolve you of your smoking past.

As documented in the other thread, I am 3 1/2 days into the process of quitting. Will consider myself a smoker for the rest of my life though. Kind of like when you're a crack addict, even when you quit you're simply a recovering crack addict and not a "non crack smoker".And no matter how long it's been, I'll be there to fight the good fight for our team and their freedoms.

Just try not to dwell on all the bits of saliva condensing into droplets out of the water vapor.

Interesting thread and results/comments. Now blackdotted for later...

Today was my first day of "vaping". I tried it in front of my ANTI-smoking sis, I mean she HATES cigs... and she was VERY happy. No smell at all. It also seems to work for me. No real desire to light up a real butt. Sis said I could use it in her car if need be.

Bottom line here: This is a very safe way for addicted smokers to smoke (actually just another nicotine delivery system like a patch or the gum), or use as a step to quit smoking. I find heavilly perfumed women FAR more offensive. Sometimes I choke in the fumes left behind after walking behind some broad in the supermarket. Seriously, my eyes have even teared behind these biddies. I'm not fond of bus fumes either.

The PC anti smoking nazis will find reason to whine, that's for sure. Might as well complain about how someone holds their fork in a restaurant. Soooo annoying.

Do electric ciggerette smokers throw their sticks out of their cars when they are done?

No.... they are reusable.

Today was my first day of "vaping". I tried it in front of my ANTI-smoking sis, I mean she HATES cigs... and she was VERY happy. No smell at all. It also seems to work for me. No real desire to light up a real butt. Sis said I could use it in her car if need be.

Bottom line here: This is a very safe way for addicted smokers to smoke (actually just another nicotine delivery system like a patch or the gum), or use as a step to quit smoking. I find heavilly perfumed women FAR more offensive. Sometimes I choke in the fumes left behind after walking behind some broad in the supermarket. Seriously, my eyes have even teared behind these biddies. I'm not fond of bus fumes either.

The PC anti smoking nazis will find reason to whine, that's for sure. Might as well complain about how someone holds their fork in a restaurant. Soooo annoying.

I'm about as bad an anti-smoking nazi as you might find... but I honestly don't see what possible problem there could be with these things if the vapor is odorless and harmless to others.

Are people worried that the visual of somebody "smoking" is bad? I don't get it.

There is still a lot of debate about the health risks of vaping nicotine.

Also if these are seen and accepted all over kids will be encouraged to try them thinking they are ok, which could get them hooked on nicotine.

I don't care if people want to get drugged up, but do it in private, and yes nicotine is one of the most addicting drugs out there.

There is no place for these things in public and i would complain and have complained when i see these druggies vaping in restaurants.

At one time normal cigs were thought of as safe, who knows what the health effects of vaping are until we have more longterm studies.

I am all for smoking bans since it protects my personal choice of staying healthy but have no problem with this.

Also if these are seen and accepted all over kids will be encouraged to try them thinking they are ok, which could get them hooked on nicotine.I don't care if people want to get drugged up, but do it in private, and yes nicotine is one of the most addicting drugs out there.There is no place for these things in public and i would complain and have complained when i see these druggies vaping in restaurants.

:nerd:

There is still a lot of debate about the health risks of vaping nicotine.Also if these are seen and accepted all over kids will be encouraged to try them thinking they are ok, which could get them hooked on nicotine.I don't care if people want to get drugged up, but do it in private, and yes nicotine is one of the most addicting drugs out there.There is no place for these things in public and i would complain and have complained when i see these druggies vaping in restaurants.At one time normal cigs were thought of as safe, who knows what the health effects of vaping are until we have more longterm studies.

This is the same iginorant, ill informed logic Albany has as they begin legislation to ban them. 1. It costs at least $70 to get just a starter kit. It requires battery chargers, blanks, all sorts of stuff. A baggie of pot is far easier to hide from parents. These things cannot be hidden. They are not directed at kids. They are a nicotine subsitute, one that does not cause lung cancer or emphezema. 2. Getting drugged up? It's about quitting. There are 4000 carcinogens in cigarette tobacco. Many of these other additives are also addictive. That is how the tobacco companies have made it even more difficult to withdraw from smoking. It's why patches and gums are less effective. E-cigs have only one. Nicotine. They are a superior delivery system for those wanting to stop being slaves to big tobacco. It's an on demand delivery system, far more effective than a patch or a gum. 3. Druggies? Seriously? Do you have a drink when you go out for dinner? Do you have a cup of coffee after dinner? Do you object to those drug habits? Would you object to someone taking a Tylenol in a restaurant? 4. Now you want to sound worried about the long term health effects? Obviously, you hate every addicted person out there. Now you are going to go to the opposite extreme and pretend to be worried about smoker's health when they switch to e-cigs? LMAO. You are worried about long term effects. Stop... even you cannot believe that horse wipe spewage, or maybe you can. Hypocrasy in the extreme. Because these things are not backed by the big American drug companies, people like you are led like sheep, if it isn't on TV as a commercial, it surely must be evil. Did you complain about the patch or the gum? Backed by the big American drug companies? Of course not. Might as well whine about how people don't place napkins on their laps. It has nothing to do with you and your puritan values.

There is still a lot of debate about the health risks of vaping nicotine.Also if these are seen and accepted all over kids will be encouraged to try them thinking they are ok, which could get them hooked on nicotine.I don't care if people want to get drugged up, but do it in private, and yes nicotine is one of the most addicting drugs out there.There is no place for these things in public and i would complain and have complained when i see these druggies vaping in restaurants.At one time normal cigs were thought of as safe, who knows what the health effects of vaping are until we have more longterm studies.

Are you going to start complaining when people consume junk food, sugared drinks, and/or caffeinated beverages in public too? If not then I think you are being hypocritical here. Unless of course you're really just :fishing:

Do electric ciggerette smokers throw their sticks out of their cars when they are done?

No.... they are reusable.
Now they are going to have to kick the habit of flicking cig butts out of their car.. :fishing: