What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Personal Finance Advice and Education! (6 Viewers)

I have never looked into doing this, so im not sure if it makes any sense at all, but does it make sense to borrow money against your Roth IRA? How does it work? Is there a time frame you have to pay the money back? The only reason to be doing so, is to put a nice down payment on a house that I will be renting out. Most of my liquid assets will be going towards renovations.  

I have never looked into doing this, so im not sure if it makes any sense at all, but does it make sense to borrow money against your Roth IRA? How does it work? Is there a time frame you have to pay the money back? The only reason to be doing so, is to put a nice down payment on a house that I will be renting out. Most of my liquid assets will be going towards renovations.  
I borrrowed against my 401k and paid myself back at 0.5% over prime.  Most say never do this but I did anyway and worked out ok - fully repaid 50k over 5 years.  This prevented me from getting a jumbo loan.  I missed out on some pretty good gains with that # but just a portion of our retirement was effected.  We did buy right about 6 years ago so price paid was great value.

I would absolutely not do on a roth however unless only option and even then would explore other options to prevent  that. 

Others here more knowledgeable than I can delve into it more.

He is de-risking and part of that is the psychological impact of throwing all that money all at once into the general market.  Nugget - what's the volatility of your company stock?  Higher or lower than the markets?  If higher I might do larger chunks sooner to de-risk.  If lower or the same stick with the plan.  In general, though, the thought Nugget has of dollar cost averaging in (and out) is fine, IMO.
Company stock (F) has more volatility than the index funds I'd move it to.  I may try to go bigger blocks - I hate feeling like I'm selling low, but we have been going lower for the past 3 years.   I'm going to dealer/corporate meeting in Scottsdale tomorrow and Wednesday - let me see how bad morale is before I make a decision.

Company stock (F) has more volatility than the index funds I'd move it to.  I may try to go bigger blocks - I hate feeling like I'm selling low, but we have been going lower for the past 3 years.   I'm going to dealer/corporate meeting in Scottsdale tomorrow and Wednesday - let me see how bad morale is before I make a decision.
Yep - volatility is higher.  Maybe a few chunks over six months or so?  Whatever helps you sleep at night.  F and the markets are going to be highly correlated if the bottom falls out, so its likely (as much as you can say "likely" in the markets) that they'd move together at that point.  

And, IMO, in the medium term I worry about car companies.  It seems they've run out of buyers even with max incentives.  On the bright side, though, at least you're not diversifying out in late '08.

Last edited by a moderator:
I assume this is a second home?  Why can't you do an HELOC from existing house?

Don't borrow against your Roth - bad idea.  Treat Roth space as sacred

I guess I will try out Mint. 

I assume it picks up expenses from your bank account where I am doing autopays?  How does it treat when I pay my CC from the bank account vs tracking the CC expenses?  Seems ripe for double counting and needing manual changes. 

I assume this is a second home?  Why can't you do an HELOC from existing house?

Don't borrow against your Roth - bad idea.  Treat Roth space as sacred
I did something along the lines of what you're thinking. In 2010 after the Florida housing market bottomed, we wanted to buy a rental but lacked the on-hand cash. We withdrew about 10K from the Roth (not a loan) taken from the principal so there were no fees or tax implications. Seven years later, the Roth is fine--we always keep plugging in the max amount each year, and the house has appreciated almost 100%. Easily the best investment I've ever made (except for Mansion). I'm sure most folks would maintain that the Roth should be sacred but I see the option to get at your principal as a key feature. It is not just for retirement.

Give it the password to your online bank, and your online credit card. It'll categorize based on where you spend. Paying off the CC from the bank account is just categorized as a transfer, and it'll zero out when the CC account is credited.
Cool. I assume I can edit/customize the bank accoint items too. Like when I do a transfer for my mortgage etc. 

of course i forget all of my cc passwords and got locked kitbof my amex last night. 

I did something along the lines of what you're thinking. In 2010 after the Florida housing market bottomed, we wanted to buy a rental but lacked the on-hand cash. We withdrew about 10K from the Roth (not a loan) taken from the principal so there were no fees or tax implications. Seven years later, the Roth is fine--we always keep plugging in the max amount each year, and the house has appreciated almost 100%. Easily the best investment I've ever made (except for Mansion). I'm sure most folks would maintain that the Roth should be sacred but I see the option to get at your principal as a key feature. It is not just for retirement.
What if you lost money on that house, would you call it the worst investment you ever made?  If you made 100% on it you could argue that even a big cash advance on a credit card would have been a great financial decision. 

I would remove the consequences (house value went up or down) from the analysis. My point was that Roth space is limited and very valuable. If you have a good alternative (such as Heloc) or even good old fashioned patience and heavy savings it is preferable to borrowing against the Roth

Been following this tread for a while, and although I still have a financial advisor and don't manage my accounts myself, my son's ages 17 and 14 have some savings they would like to invest.  I'd like to get them started on something with low fees (index funds etc) so they can earn some returns and learn as they go.  They each have about 2K to invest.  My oldest almost has his licence, has a car already and is working a summer job, will likely be working part time during his senior year.  His plan is to go to our local community college and be a firefighter.  My 14 year old has no plans as of yet (other than playing XBOX and such, lol)

Where should I get them started?  Can I start my oldest on a small Roth as he now has some earnings?

Any help is appreciated.  Thanks

I guess I will try out Mint. 

I assume it picks up expenses from your bank account where I am doing autopays?  How does it treat when I pay my CC from the bank account vs tracking the CC expenses?  Seems ripe for double counting and needing manual changes. 
works great, no issues.  I don't have to fix much on MInt at all..  the worst is checks and "uncategorized" expenses.

Mint is like twitter..  the more time you spend getting it set up properly, the more you get out of it.

I think it's fabulous.

Been following this tread for a while, and although I still have a financial advisor and don't manage my accounts myself, my son's ages 17 and 14 have some savings they would like to invest.  I'd like to get them started on something with low fees (index funds etc) so they can earn some returns and learn as they go.  They each have about 2K to invest.  My oldest almost has his licence, has a car already and is working a summer job, will likely be working part time during his senior year.  His plan is to go to our local community college and be a firefighter.  My 14 year old has no plans as of yet (other than playing XBOX and such, lol)

Where should I get them started?  Can I start my oldest on a small Roth as he now has some earnings?

What do your teenagers want to do with that savings? Do they want to save it for retirement?

Count me as being one of those not a fan of borrowing against your retirement accounts if you have other options. 

There are certainly some pro's and con's and I can see being ok with it in a number of scenarios but overall there are negatives that I really do not like about it. First, you are closing your options. For most (all?) plans that allow borrowing- if you leave your job then you have a short period of time (60 days is what I have seen though I suppose it could vary) to pay the money back. If you do not then you get hit with a 10% penalty. Second, if for any reason you end up defaulting then again you get hit with the 10% penalty. If you are in a bad situation which is why you ended up defaulting to begin with another 10% penalty could be a death blow to your finances. Third, is overall you are defeating the real power of retirement funding. You have to liquidate investments which means you are losing the power of compounding interest. Fourth, you are on the losing end of an opportunity cost because of the money that is out of the account. Fifth, I believe most plans do not let you contribute again until you pay back your loan. And finally, you are paying yourself back with after tax money. 

On the surface, borrowing from yourself to pay yourself back sounds like you are saving money and often this is how I see it presented. Hey, what a great deal! Why doesn't everyone do this? Well, there are reasons. 

When it comes to finances, I like lean towards the options that can keep you flexible and keep your options open. Borrowing from your 401k can put you in a box and that box can suck. I would avoid it if there are other options available to you. I would certainly NEVER do it for something like funding a vacation or something silly like that. 

If they have jobs - open up a roth IRA for them

If they have jobs - open up a roth IRA for them
I looked in to this, I believe they need earned income of at least of the amount that gets placed in the IRA.  For my oldest, this will be only a small amount currently, hopefully more once he gets a part time job this fall.

Any recommendations on where to open the account?  Vanguard, Fidelity, Schwab, etc

I looked in to this, I believe they need earned income of at least of the amount that gets placed in the IRA.  For my oldest, this will be only a small amount currently, hopefully more once he gets a part time job this fall.

Any recommendations on where to open the account?  Vanguard, Fidelity, Schwab, etc
Gotcha.  I think general consensus leans to Vanguard.  I use Fidelity b/c that's where all me and my wife's benefits are located.

Gotcha.  I think general consensus leans to Vanguard.  I use Fidelity b/c that's where all me and my wife's benefits are located.
Personally don't like the Vanguard website, so I'm at Fidelity.  Honestly either of those three will work fine.  

I think TD Ameritrade has the best collection of commission free ETF's including vanguard and ishares, which are great for people with small amounts to invest.   TD Ameritrade works with HSA Bank - so i have experience there with my HSA investments.  It's easy to use.

I'd have my Roth IRA and cash management account there if the Merrill Edge deal wasn't so great for high net worth peeps.

I think TD Ameritrade has the best collection of commission free ETF's including vanguard and ishares, which are great for people with small amounts to invest.

If i wasn't rich, I'd use them
Fidelity has 80 of those, Vanguard 70.  Which is awesome - hard to make a poor choice among the big brokerages for a basic account like this.

Count me as being one of those not a fan of borrowing against your retirement accounts if you have other options. 

. Fifth, I believe most plans do not let you contribute again until you pay back your loan.

On the surface, borrowing from yourself to pay yourself back sounds like you are saving money and often this is how I see it presented. Hey, what a great deal! Why doesn't everyone do this? Well, there are reasons. 

When it comes to finances, I like lean towards the options that can keep you flexible and keep your options open. Borrowing from your 401k can put you in a box and that box can suck. I would avoid it if there are other options available to you. I would certainly NEVER do it for something like funding a vacation or something silly like that. 
Not sure if it is the case for everyone but I was able to contribute to 401k when I had my loan.  I agree that it can put you in a bind if you are not financially set and there has to be a major savings to do so.  Obviously not the smartest to buy larger if the money isn't saved but it can be used to prevent a jumbo loan or avoiding pmi.  These would be situations where it should be considered.  I could have paid my loan back quicker or shifted into HELOC but I used it as the safe portion of my 401k paying myself back at 4.75%. (prime +0.5)

You're not going to get much argument that borrowing against a 401K is a bad idea. The practice of taking principal out of a Roth is a completely different thing. The way I see it, if I have post-tax income to invest, I could put it in a brokerage account or a Roth. I max out the Roth every year which leaves little for me to play with in my brokerage account. That's fine because I can get to the Roth principal if necessary. Second, I wanted to diversify my holdings so moving 10K out of the Roth and into real estate did just that. It is a rental that will become our home in retirement so it is one prong of my plan. The biggest downside is the tight limit of contributions into Roths but there is a way around that with rollovers.

We need to stop thinking about the Roth as purely a retirement vehicle. For once the government has given us a Swiss Army knife of an investment opportunity so I plan to take advantage of all of its flexibility.

I think TD Ameritrade has the best collection of commission free ETF's including vanguard and ishares, which are great for people with small amounts to invest.   TD Ameritrade works with HSA Bank - so i have experience there with my HSA investments.  It's easy to use.

I'd have my Roth IRA and cash management account there if the Merrill Edge deal wasn't so great for high net worth peeps.
Man I feel stupid,  I want to start them out in something basic, was reading about the three fund portfolio.  Any suggestions on what funds to start out on?  I want to keep fees as low as possible, hopefully they will continue to add to this and build some wealth for the future.  I have some reading to do (ETF's, mututal funds, ishares???)

Just need some assurance that I'm thinking this through properly.

32 years old.

Pension at work. If I stay until I retire (the plan as of now), I'll get 60% of my last 3 years pay. Depending on how far I climb the ladder, I could be in the same or just 1 tax bracket lower that I am in now at retirement.

I have been contributing to ROTH IRA the past 3 years, but now my income will only allow about $2.3k in contributions and in the coming years I won't be able to contribute at all. Also with my income level a traditional IRA won't be tax deductible. 

My company does offer deferred comp (457 plan) which I have yet to take advantage of because (1) I wanted to contribute to my Roth IRA and (2) needed the cash.

Just wondering where to go from here. My inclination is to stop funding the ROTH IRA and start funding the 457 plan. Is that the correct call? Is it worth it to even try to do a backdoor ROTH? Is it worth it to contribute the phase out as long as I can? Should I just contribute to my 457 plan or both?

Thanks.

rick6668 said:
Man I feel stupid,  I want to start them out in something basic, was reading about the three fund portfolio.  Any suggestions on what funds to start out on?  I want to keep fees as low as possible, hopefully they will continue to add to this and build some wealth for the future.  I have some reading to do (ETF's, mututal funds, ishares???)
yeah, don't make it hard on yourself..  just sign up for an account, fund it, and buy 100% VTI - vanguard total stock market and be done with it.

That's what I'd do with a young kid.. 100% stocks and let it grow

Well, technically I bought my kid the Russell 2000 which is all small caps because they are way more volatile but generally speaking have higher return... but VTI is more responsible.

yeah, don't make it hard on yourself..  just sign up for an account, fund it, and buy 100% VTI - vanguard total stock market and be done with it.

Thanks!  If only I had the balls to pull everything out of my financial advisor's hands and do it myself.  

Thanks!  If only I had the balls to pull everything out of my financial advisor's hands and do it myself.  
the market does what the market does..  no financial advisor is going to save you from that

i'd rather lose money occasionally to a crash than every year to an advisor.

all it takes is one or two good personal finance books that you can buy from a library..    20 hours reading a book or two will save you tens of thousands of dollars long term..  yet most people won't do it.   I don't get it.

Charlie Harper said:

32 years old.

Pension at work. If I stay until I retire (the plan as of now), I'll get 60% of my last 3 years pay. Depending on how far I climb the ladder, I could be in the same or just 1 tax bracket lower that I am in now at retirement.

I have been contributing to ROTH IRA the past 3 years, but now my income will only allow about $2.3k in contributions and in the coming years I won't be able to contribute at all. Also with my income level a traditional IRA won't be tax deductible. 

My company does offer deferred comp (457 plan) which I have yet to take advantage of because (1) I wanted to contribute to my Roth IRA and (2) needed the cash.

Just wondering where to go from here. My inclination is to stop funding the ROTH IRA and start funding the 457 plan. Is that the correct call? Is it worth it to even try to do a backdoor ROTH? Is it worth it to contribute the phase out as long as I can? Should I just contribute to my 457 plan or both?

Thanks.
FWIW, I would max Roth and Backdoor Roth prior to 457 b/c you're taking a hit on the taxes now vs. later with the 457.  You will be taxed on the pension revenue, so it spreads the tax risk out a little bit.  

The one apparent advantage of the 457 is being able to withdraw before 59.5 penalty free, so that's a nice bonus.  Not sure what age you need to retire to hit your pension, but that could play a part.

Perhaps you get to a point where you can do both?

ETA: Noticed that you can do a double catchup the last 3 years of retirement with the 457 which is pretty sweet.....but that's way down the road for you.

Well, technically I bought my kid the Russell 2000 which is all small caps because they are way more volatile but generally speaking have higher return... but VTI is more responsible.
Totally agree.  Perhaps add VEA for some international exposure.  VTI is what I like as well.

Charlie Harper said:

32 years old.

Thanks.
So not too hard to figure about what your salary is here.   :P

Worth a bit of math, but I'll disagree with TF a bit.  You're at a tax level (28%?) that you're prepaying before putting into a Roth.  Where you are tax wise it's unlikely that your tax rate will be worse in retirement - making tax deferred a better option than the Roth.  I'd start shoveling money into the 457 - if you ER you may have some low income years which you can use to move the 457 to a Roth at low (15%) tax rates and do much better than the Roth.  

Charlie Harper said:

32 years old.

Thanks.
What age can you start collecting your pension at 60%?  That's going to be one nice retirement.   

Can you cash out earlier than that?  It sounds like with just the pension, you'll have a very nice amount.   Then you also have the 457 which at your income you'll be able to max out.  Do you also get SS?
Not sure if I can cash out earlier. I hope I can max it out, but living the Silicon Valley/SF Bay Area is expensive and I'd like to own a home at some point. I believe I should get SS.

FWIW, I would max Roth and Backdoor Roth prior to 457 b/c you're taking a hit on the taxes now vs. later with the 457.  You will be taxed on the pension revenue, so it spreads the tax risk out a little bit.  

The one apparent advantage of the 457 is being able to withdraw before 59.5 penalty free, so that's a nice bonus.  Not sure what age you need to retire to hit your pension, but that could play a part.

Perhaps you get to a point where you can do both?

ETA: Noticed that you can do a double catchup the last 3 years of retirement with the 457 which is pretty sweet.....but that's way down the road for you.
If my tax burden will either be the same or lower at retirement why would funding the ROTH be more advantageous? Is that in case the tax rate goes up?

Not sure if I can cash out earlier. I hope I can max it out, but living the Silicon Valley/SF Bay Area is expensive and I'd like to own a home at some point. I believe I should get SS.
Ah, that does change things some.  The nice thing about living in a high cost of living area is that pension is going to translate nicely to a lower cost of living area when you retire.   

Was wondering if anyone has dealt with high expense ratios in an employer 401k plan. I was rebalancing my 401k recently and noticed that I'm paying John Hancock about 60 basis points more for Vanguard index funds than if my employer used Vanguard as a provider. I'm maxed out on my 401k. Other than the shark move of complaining to HR about how they're robbing me of hundreds of thousands of dollars, do I really have any options? I think that I should drop the 401k contribution by 5,500 and shift that into a regular IRA w/ Vanguard. Tax implications seem like they'd be minimal, my current bracket won't change and looking at current brackets, would guess that my marginal tax bracket at retirement would only be 3% lower than now. Doesn't seem like a large enough gap to offset 20-30 years of losing .6%...

What happens if you contribute more than $18k to a 401k within a calendar year? 

I changed jobs a few months ago and currently have it set to just get over $18k in total.  Will my new employer know the amount contributed towards the $18k?

If my tax burden will either be the same or lower at retirement why would funding the ROTH be more advantageous? Is that in case the tax rate goes up?
There is always that possibility, though it would really have to spike to put this money at a higher tax bracket with your likely retirement income.  For these reasons it's not a bad idea to have some money in all three pots. (though I'd prioritize tax sheltered accounts higher as their earning potential is so much higher over 30 years. ) 

What happens if you contribute more than $18k to a 401k within a calendar year? 

I changed jobs a few months ago and currently have it set to just get over $18k in total.  Will my new employer know the amount contributed towards the $18k?
My understanding is that you can't. As soon as you hit 18k in a calendar year your employer will just stop deducting from your paycheck.

Was wondering if anyone has dealt with high expense ratios in an employer 401k plan. I was rebalancing my 401k recently and noticed that I'm paying John Hancock about 60 basis points more for Vanguard index funds than if my employer used Vanguard as a provider. I'm maxed out on my 401k. Other than the shark move of complaining to HR about how they're robbing me of hundreds of thousands of dollars, do I really have any options? I think that I should drop the 401k contribution by 5,500 and shift that into a regular IRA w/ Vanguard. Tax implications seem like they'd be minimal, my current bracket won't change and looking at current brackets, would guess that my marginal tax bracket at retirement would only be 3% lower than now. Doesn't seem like a large enough gap to offset 20-30 years of losing .6%...
If you're eligible for an IRA that's a transparent move.   Just don't lose out on the match and you're good.  BTW, the value of monies in a tax sheltered account are much higher than the 60 basis points that they're scalping you on.  It's still worth it to shovel money into the 401k.  

You can always remind HR that the biggest proven factor in the performance of mutual funds is their fee structure.  They'll ignore it, but it might make you feel better. (Or, if you have other accounts you can split asset types to minimize fees/taxes, etc.)

There is always that possibility, though it would really have to spike to put this money at a higher tax bracket with your likely retirement income.  For these reasons it's not a bad idea to have some money in all three pots.  Though I'd prioritize tax sheltered accounts higher as their earning potential is so much higher over 30 years.  
Quick question as I've heard both ways...if you have an Inherited IRA that you take the distribution over expected lifetime does it effect the ability to do a backdoor Roth contribution? Also if you have both would they conflict with setting up a Simple IRA as well?

Quick question as I've heard both ways...if you have an Inherited IRA that you take the distribution over expected lifetime does it effect the ability to do a backdoor Roth contribution? Also if you have both would they conflict with setting up a Simple IRA as well?
Sorry, I don't know the answer to those.

Based on your original post you said you would probably be in the same or one lower tax bracket with the pension payout.  B/c pension is taxed at regular income, my thought process would be you would have two retirement streams: (1) Pension that will be taxed (2) Roth that wouldn't be taxed.  It spreads the risk out a little bit b/c nobody can predict what tax brackets will be in 25 years.  If you put it all in 457, then you're looking at all of your retirement income subject to taxes.....if tax rates do go up a lot, you could be exposed.

That being said, you're in a good situation even having the pension.  I tend to be conservative with retirement allocations by nature, and go more aggressive on other things...YMMV

Users who are viewing this thread