What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL*** Steelers 2011 Thread (1 Viewer)

AhrnCityPahnder

Yinz-o-riffic
I guess it's time for a new thread. Offseason news, draft wishes and hopes to follow....

Last edited by a moderator:
Woodley accepts franchise tenderPosted 2 hours ago PITTSBURGH – Steelers’ linebacker LaMarr Woodley has accepted his one-year franchise tender offer, it was announced today.Woodley will enter his fifth year with the Steelers after originally being drafted in the second round of the 2007 NFL Draft. With his 10 sacks during the 2010 season, Woodley became only the second player in team history to record double-digit sacks in his first three seasons as a starter. His 39 sacks in his first four seasons with the Steelers is a team record.Woodley is the only player in NFL history to post at least one sack in six consecutive postseason games, and the only player in NFL history to record two sacks in each of his first four playoff contests. His 11 sacks in seven postseason games tie him for fourth on the NFL’s all-time list for sacks in the postseason. Woodley finished the 2010 season with 10 sacks, two interceptions (one returned for a TD), three forced fumbles and two fumble recoveries.

I heard the Steelers will likely use the transistion tag on Ike Taylor.
The Pittsburgh Steelers will not use the transition tag on impending free-agent CB Ike Taylor, according to Jason La Canfora, of NFL Network. The team will not use the transition tag at all. The Steelers hope to be competitive to retain Taylor in a new collective bargaining agreement.

From scout.com

INDIANAPOLIS With LaMarr Woodley under contract, the Steelers have turned to the next man up for contract negotiations, according to Kevin Colbert

"We've had preliminary discussions with Ike Taylor on a new contract," said the Steelers' director of football operations. "The other guys we've had discussion with in more of a matter-of-fact, 'yes we want to keep as many guys as possible' (manner), but we're really just approaching this one guy at a time."

The Steelers passed on the opportunity to place the transition tag on Taylor prior to Thursday's deadline, and they did so, presumably, with the confidence that they can reach an agreement with Taylor, their soon-to-be 31-year-old cornerback.

Colbert wouldn't discuss how the talks with Taylor will be affected by the league's ongoing labor negotiations. In fact, Colbert couldn't even use the word "lockout" with reporters. But a lockout of the players from team facilities will occur March 4 unless the players and owners come to an agreement on a new CBA.

Colbert did discuss other team matters, specifically the dizzying situation at right offensive tackle, a position that appears to be Flozell Adams's to give away. Colbert was asked whether Adams has informed the team whether he's coming back to finish his contract next season.

"I think that Flozell is in the evaluation phase whether he wants to continue to play," Colbert said.

Do the Steelers want Adams back?

"Absolutely."

Colbert was asked what that would mean for former starter Willie Colon, whose agent has said that Colon has little chance of returning to the Steelers.

"First of all," Colbert said, "you don't know where Flozell is, whether he's going to continue or not, so you have to just continue the conversations with everybody. There are so many unknowns that you can't specifically say, 'We're going to do this or that' because we haven't honestly approached guys in formal conversations."

Does Colbert want Colon back?

"Yes," Colbert said.

As for the combine business at hand, Colbert said this about the position groupings: "Offensive line, particularly tackle, wide receiver, and defensive back, particularly corner, are deeper than most."

Those are positions at which the Steelers need varying degrees of help, although Colbert would only scratch one position off the needs list.

"Take out the obvious position of quarterback," he said. "Any position is open to our potential drafting. I mean that sincerely. I don't know where we're going to be in two months."

The college prospects started to meet with NFL teams here on Wednesday night. Throughout Thursday the college offensive linemen, tight ends, kickers and punters met with the media. On Friday, they'll work out. The Steelers apparently focused on guards the first night. Players such as Zach Hurd of UConn, Brandon Fusco of Slippery Rock, Andrew Jackson of Fresno State and Stefen Wisniewski of Penn State admitted to interviewing with the team. Tennessee tight end Luke Stocker was scheduled to meet with the Steelers last night.

'JoeSteeler said:
From scout.com

INDIANAPOLIS – With LaMarr Woodley under contract, the Steelers have turned to the next man up for contract negotiations, according to Kevin Colbert

"We've had preliminary discussions with Ike Taylor on a new contract," said the Steelers' director of football operations. "The other guys we've had discussion with in more of a matter-of-fact, 'yes we want to keep as many guys as possible' (manner), but we're really just approaching this one guy at a time."

The Steelers passed on the opportunity to place the transition tag on Taylor prior to Thursday's deadline, and they did so, presumably, with the confidence that they can reach an agreement with Taylor, their soon-to-be 31-year-old cornerback.

Colbert wouldn't discuss how the talks with Taylor will be affected by the league's ongoing labor negotiations. In fact, Colbert couldn't even use the word "lockout" with reporters. But a lockout of the players from team facilities will occur March 4 unless the players and owners come to an agreement on a new CBA.

Colbert did discuss other team matters, specifically the dizzying situation at right offensive tackle, a position that appears to be Flozell Adams's to give away. Colbert was asked whether Adams has informed the team whether he's coming back to finish his contract next season.

"I think that Flozell is in the evaluation phase whether he wants to continue to play," Colbert said.

Do the Steelers want Adams back?

"Absolutely."

Colbert was asked what that would mean for former starter Willie Colon, whose agent has said that Colon has little chance of returning to the Steelers.

"First of all," Colbert said, "you don't know where Flozell is, whether he's going to continue or not, so you have to just continue the conversations with everybody. There are so many unknowns that you can't specifically say, 'We're going to do this or that' because we haven't honestly approached guys in formal conversations."

Does Colbert want Colon back?

"Yes," Colbert said.

As for the combine business at hand, Colbert said this about the position groupings: "Offensive line, particularly tackle, wide receiver, and defensive back, particularly corner, are deeper than most."

Those are positions at which the Steelers need varying degrees of help, although Colbert would only scratch one position off the needs list.

"Take out the obvious position of quarterback," he said. "Any position is open to our potential drafting. I mean that sincerely. I don't know where we're going to be in two months."

The college prospects started to meet with NFL teams here on Wednesday night. Throughout Thursday the college offensive linemen, tight ends, kickers and punters met with the media. On Friday, they'll work out. The Steelers apparently focused on guards the first night. Players such as Zach Hurd of UConn, Brandon Fusco of Slippery Rock, Andrew Jackson of Fresno State and Stefen Wisniewski of Penn State admitted to interviewing with the team. Tennessee tight end Luke Stocker was scheduled to meet with the Steelers last night.
I would love to see Wisniewski in Black and Gold.

Early rumored interviewees for Pittsburgh from the combine thus far:

Brandon Fusco, C, Slippery Rock

Mike Pouncey, OG, Florida

Tyron Smith, OT, USC

Lance Kendricks, TE, Wisconsin

Andrew Jackson, OG, Fresno St.

Stef Wiesnewski, OG, PSU

Rodney Hudson, OG, FSU

Lee Ziemba, OT, Auburn

Greg Little, WR, UNC

Jarvis Jenkins, DT, Clemson

Tyron Smith, OT, USC

Stef Wiesnewski, OG, PSU

Rodney Hudson, OG, FSU

Lee Ziemba, OT, Auburn

Greg Little, WR, UNC

Music to my ears.Leads me to believe that they will be pressing hard to keep Ike Taylor.

The O-line is going to get some heavy attention. Im not a fan of Hudson.

But I would love landing a couple of these guys. An immediate change to 40% of the line.

And both the WR and TE are of similar molds... big (6'3"+, 225-240) receivers with nifty hands.

They are looking to give Ben added options of that strain.

Brown is 5'10, Sanders is 5'11", Wallace and Ward are 6'.

Looks like the team is going to ask the defense (Lebeau/Butler and co.) to make it "happen" with low investments... it may even be their (Lebeau and co) idea to approach that way...

And they are going to surround Ben with additional talent.

Early rumored interviewees for Pittsburgh from the combine thus far:Brandon Fusco, C, Slippery RockMike Pouncey, OG, FloridaTyron Smith, OT, USCLance Kendricks, TE, WisconsinAndrew Jackson, OG, Fresno St.Stef Wiesnewski, OG, PSURodney Hudson, OG, FSULee Ziemba, OT, AuburnGreg Little, WR, UNCJarvis Jenkins, DT, Clemson
I heard it mentioned on the combine telecast today that the Steelers interviewed Noel Devine

Tyron Smith, OT, USC

Stef Wiesnewski, OG, PSU

Rodney Hudson, OG, FSU

Lee Ziemba, OT, Auburn

Greg Little, WR, UNC

Music to my ears.Leads me to believe that they will be pressing hard to keep Ike Taylor.

The O-line is going to get some heavy attention. Im not a fan of Hudson.

But I would love landing a couple of these guys. An immediate change to 40% of the line.

And both the WR and TE are of similar molds... big (6'3"+, 225-240) receivers with nifty hands.

They are looking to give Ben added options of that strain.

Brown is 5'10, Sanders is 5'11", Wallace and Ward are 6'.

Looks like the team is going to ask the defense (Lebeau/Butler and co.) to make it "happen" with low investments... it may even be their (Lebeau and co) idea to approach that way...And they are going to surround Ben with additional talent.
This would be a mistake IMO. While the o-line is obviously a position of need so is CB and D-line.

Tyron Smith, OT, USC

Stef Wiesnewski, OG, PSU

Rodney Hudson, OG, FSU

Lee Ziemba, OT, Auburn

Greg Little, WR, UNC

That's a guy who could last until round 3 or 4 that could be a starter next year or the year after, either at RT or G. Think Starks in the 3rd rather than Urbik.

Steelers use first-round tender on Colon

FOX Sports

Updated Mar 1, 2011 1:49 PM ET

The Pittsburgh Steelers have placed a first-round tender on starting right tackle Willie Colon, agent Joe Linta told FOXSports.com.

Colon, who missed the entire 2010 season because of a torn Achilles' tendon, was originally selected by the Steelers in the fourth round of the 2006 draft.

It’s still possible that Colon could be an unrestricted free agent once the new collective bargaining agreement is reached, but teams had to prepare in the event that it would take six years not five to become an unrestricted free agent.

Currently, teams are using last year’s free agency rules.

Early rumored interviewees for Pittsburgh from the combine thus far:Brandon Fusco, C, Slippery RockMike Pouncey, OG, FloridaTyron Smith, OT, USCLance Kendricks, TE, WisconsinAndrew Jackson, OG, Fresno St.Stef Wiesnewski, OG, PSURodney Hudson, OG, FSULee Ziemba, OT, AuburnGreg Little, WR, UNCJarvis Jenkins, DT, Clemson
Marcus Cannon, OG TCUAfter watching him in the drills, he already pulls like a Steeler OG. He's got to be a target.

Marcus Cannon, OG TCUAfter watching him in the drills, he already pulls like a Steeler OG. He's got to be a target.
Cannon's fast becoming my favorite interior OL prospect in this crop. I'd be more than happy if they could nab him in the 2nd, even if it took a move up.

One of the most underrated Steelers of all-time.

Steelers interview Carnell Lake for secondary coach job

Wednesday, March 02, 2011

Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers might be reaching back into their past to hire a secondary coach to replace Ray Horton.

Former safety Carnell Lake, a five-time Pro Bowl selection who played 10 seasons with the Steelers, is at the team's South Side facility today to interview for that position with Coach Mike Tomlin.

Lake is one of the team's all-time best safeties, recording 16 interceptions, 17 fumble recoveries and 25 sacks from 1989 to 1998. He also had five defensive touchdowns.

Lake was a secondary coach at his alma mater, UCLA, in 2009, but resigned after one season because of family reasons.

Horton left after the Super Bowl to become defensive coordinator for the Arizona Cardinals.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11061/1129061-66.stm#ixzz1FT3V5W8I

The Steelers might be reaching back into their past to hire a secondary coach to replace Ray Horton.

Former safety Carnell Lake, a five-time Pro Bowl selection who played 10 seasons with the Steelers, is at the team's South Side facility today to interview for that position with Coach Mike Tomlin.

Lake is one of the team's all-time best safeties, recording 16 interceptions, 17 fumble recoveries and 25 sacks from 1989 to 1998. He also had five defensive touchdowns.

Lake was a secondary coach at his alma mater, UCLA, in 2009, but resigned after one season because of family reasons.

Horton left after the Super Bowl to become defensive coordinator for the Arizona Cardinals.

Oh hell, yes! To the underrated statement, and as a potential coach. Dude was good and smart.

He was a beast in Tecmo Bowl.

If they signed Gallery (and I doubt they will) - would he move inside or has he been solid at T for the Raiders? Kind of lost track of him a bit after he stunk it up early in his career, which really surprised me.

Not sure the Steelers are going to be T-hunting if Starks, Colon, and Flozell all come back. I'd rather see them take a guy like Ziemba in the 3rd or 4th round and develop him than burn a high draft pick on a T. Get a G like Pouncey or Cannon, and use the other 2 "first day" picks (I still refer to rds 1-3 as first day) on a NT/DE and a CB.

If they signed Gallery (and I doubt they will) - would he move inside or has he been solid at T for the Raiders? Kind of lost track of him a bit after he stunk it up early in his career, which really surprised me.
Gallery has been playing inside for a while now. He was a disaster at OT.I completely want them to figure out a way to get Cannon in the 2nd. I'd prefer him over even Pouncey at G from this crop, at this point, when you factor what it'd likely cost to acquire the two guys into the equation. If teams want to think Mike is Maurkice and draft him top 20.....no thanks. I'll take Cannon 30-40 picks later.

Gallery has been playing inside for a while now. He was a disaster at OT.If they don't go OL in the first I completely want them to figure out a way to get Cannon in the 2nd. I'd prefer him over even Pouncey at G from this crop, at this point, when you factor what it'd likely cost to acquire the two guys into the equation. If teams want to think Mike is Maurkice and draft him top 20.....no thanks. I'll take Cannon 30-40 picks later.

Gallery has been playing inside for a while now. He was a disaster at OT.I completely want them to figure out a way to get Cannon in the 2nd. I'd prefer him over even Pouncey at G from this crop, at this point, when you factor what it'd likely cost to acquire the two guys into the equation. If teams want to think Mike is Maurkice and draft him top 20.....no thanks. I'll take Cannon 30-40 picks later.
I thought so. Hasn't he been decent at G? Seems like a possibility of upgrading a spot w/o spending a draft choice. With immediate or imminent needs at DL, OT, OG, CB, and maybe a big WR, they don't have enough picks to cover all those holes, so something(s) are going to go unaddressed unless they go the FA route.

I thought so. Hasn't he been decent at G? Seems like a possibility of upgrading a spot w/o spending a draft choice. With immediate or imminent needs at DL, OT, OG, CB, and maybe a big WR, they don't have enough picks to cover all those holes, so something(s) are going to go unaddressed unless they go the FA route.
He's been pretty decent at G, yeah. Certainly far better than at OT(that was an abortion).The rub about free agents is that unless this CBA thing gets hammered out prior to the draft then they aren't going to know what they can/can't address in free agency, correct? Or could they sign free agents right now under the old CBA since it's been extended for a week or so?I also recall reading that Gallery was allegedly asking for some kind of ridiculous amount(may have been, like, 8 million) from the Raiders. Ain't no way a merely "pretty decent", 30-year-old guard is worth anywhere near that. Unless he would be willing to come way off that number I doubt the Steelers would even talk to him a second time. "You want how much? 8 million? Thanks for talking to us, Robert. Continued success in your future endeavors." *click*

I don't know that Gallery has been any more effective than Kemo at G. He was horrible at LT, as he had tremendous athleticism (former TE) and just couldn't get his feet out of the concrete shoes in pass pro. Moved well forward, and was a mauler in the running game but was totally out of his element on his heels and trying to set an edge. After moving to LG, he has been able to hide his weakness and play to his strengths, but he is no better than the LG we already have and is not worth $8M/yr IMO. Though, when FAs start signing contracts every year I always seem to say that the pay scale has gone to high.

'5-ish Finkle said:
'Evilgrin 72 said:
He's been pretty decent at G, yeah. Certainly far better than at OT(that was an abortion).The rub about free agents is that unless this CBA thing gets hammered out prior to the draft then they aren't going to know what they can/can't address in free agency, correct? Or could they sign free agents right now under the old CBA since it's been extended for a week or so?I also recall reading that Gallery was allegedly asking for some kind of ridiculous amount(may have been, like, 8 million) from the Raiders. Ain't no way a merely "pretty decent", 30-year-old guard is worth anywhere near that. Unless he would be willing to come way off that number I doubt the Steelers would even talk to him a second time. "You want how much? 8 million? Thanks for talking to us, Robert. Continued success in your future endeavors." *click*
Player transactions are not allowed during the 7 day extension. It is part of the agreement for the extension.

'5-ish Finkle said:
'Evilgrin 72 said:
He's been pretty decent at G, yeah. Certainly far better than at OT(that was an abortion).The rub about free agents is that unless this CBA thing gets hammered out prior to the draft then they aren't going to know what they can/can't address in free agency, correct? Or could they sign free agents right now under the old CBA since it's been extended for a week or so?

I also recall reading that Gallery was allegedly asking for some kind of ridiculous amount(may have been, like, 8 million) from the Raiders. Ain't no way a merely "pretty decent", 30-year-old guard is worth anywhere near that. Unless he would be willing to come way off that number I doubt the Steelers would even talk to him a second time. "You want how much? 8 million? Thanks for talking to us, Robert. Continued success in your future endeavors." *click*
:lmao: Best of luck, Rob.

Listening to The Opening Drive this morning on Sirius NFL. They had on Gil Brandt and he said that its very rare to see a coach & the GM both at the same pro day, but he saw Tomlin & Colbert both at the LSU pro day.

WHo else besides Peterson could they be there to look at? I can't imagine they'd have the ammo to trade up high enough to get him.

Took a look at LSU's players & these are the only ones I think the Steelers would be interested in.

Patrick Peterson – Safest player in the draft according to many. Steelers would have to give up a ton to get him.

Kelvin Shepherd, ILB – Fiery team leader & very productive. Potential replacement for Farrior.

Drake Nevis, DT – Has all the earmarks of a solid 3-4 DE & the Steelers need youth there.

Joseph Barksdale, OT/G – Tons of potential, but doesn’t give full effort according CBS scouting report

Josh Jasper, K – Very accurate & strong leg.

Terrence Toliver, WR – has, the size & speed, but no consistency catching the ball. Late round flyer?

Took a look at LSU's players & these are the only ones I think the Steelers would be interested in.Patrick Peterson – Safest player in the draft according to many. Steelers would have to give up a ton to get him.Kelvin Shepherd, ILB – Fiery team leader & very productive. Potential replacement for Farrior.Drake Nevis, DT – Has all the earmarks of a solid 3-4 DE & the Steelers need youth there.Joseph Barksdale, OT/G – Tons of potential, but doesn’t give full effort according CBS scouting reportJosh Jasper, K – Very accurate & strong leg. Terrence Toliver, WR – has, the size & speed, but no consistency catching the ball. Late round flyer?
My guess is Barksdale and/or Sheppard. I don't think Nevis fits their scheme, he's very short for a 3-4 end at 6' 0" and would have to add a lot of bulk to play nose, but maybe they think he can do it. To me, he's a 4-3 one-gap three technique and nothing more. I'd be shocked if they drafted him unless they think he can add about 40-50 pounds and play nose. I've seen a couple scouting reports where they say he could project to a five-technique, but I don't see it. I think the Steelers prefer to have guys who are more in that 6'3 - 6'6" range that can get a hand up and bat some balls down, yet still be stout at the point of attack and have good lateral movement to force backs out wide where the LBs/CBs/Ss can lay them out for little to no gain. Sheppard could play ILB in their scheme and is probably there at #62. Decent chance they wanted a look at him. Barksdale is a late-round guy - maybe 5th or 6th.Jasper is a possibility if they're looking to use a 7th on a K. I'd much rather have Alex Henery in the 5th. He's a once-in-a-decade talent at K, IMO. Leg is ridiculous and has the accuracy to go with it (18/19 this year and the only "miss" was a blocked 51 yarder). Has only missed 2 FGs under 50 yards in his 4-year career (63/65 career under 50, including 21/22 from 40-49 yards) Has hit 50% of his 50+ yarders for his career, discounting the one block. Also potentially could play both kicker and punter, opening a roster spot for whoever takes him (43.9 ypk average last season). Dude is virtually automatic and extends FG range out to about the 35 yard line. Not to mention that the Steelers' touchback % on kickoffs probably doubles in year one.

I'm assuming there is no way Pouncey makes it to 31? He excelled at his pro day. Would be great to have both of them

I'm assuming there is no way Pouncey makes it to 31? He excelled at his pro day. Would be great to have both of them
He's a G. It wouldn't be that surprising to see him last til 31. At least not to me. Likely? Maybe not, but it wouldn't be "surprising."

Seven Pitt players, including wide receiver Jon Baldwin, met with Steelers coach Mike Tomlin and director of football operations Kevin Colbert Wednesday.

In addition to Baldwin, the Steelers hosted defensive ends Greg Romeus and Jabaal Sheard, running back Dion Lewis, offensive lineman Jason Pinkston, fullback Henry Hynoski and safety Dom DiCicco. None of the visits counts against the 30 official ones the Steelers are allowed to host in advance of the NFL Draft since Pitt is a local school.

Toliver could be a target too. 6' 4" and ran a 4.5, and supposedly had a great day hands-wise (just read the nfl.com recap.) I wouldn't be shocked to see him go to the Steelers on D3, I know they want a big receiver for Ben to throw to.

He's a G. It wouldn't be that surprising to see him last til 31. At least not to me. Likely? Maybe not, but it wouldn't be "surprising."
I'm reading more mocks recently that have him going to the Pats at 28. Makes me wonder, how close do you think the Steelers will let him drift towards them before jumping on a trade offer to move up an get him?

I'm reading more mocks recently that have him going to the Pats at 28. Makes me wonder, how close do you think the Steelers will let him drift towards them before jumping on a trade offer to move up an get him?
I dont think they will. This team almost always has several options. I don't think they get stuck on the skill-set as much as they get stuck on the person-player.They have traded up twice and down twice in the first round. Troy Polamalu, Santonio Holmes, Casey Hampton, and Eric Green.

I dont think they will. This team almost always has several options. I don't think they get stuck on the skill-set as much as they get stuck on the person-player.

They have traded up twice and down twice in the first round. Troy Polamalu, Santonio Holmes, Casey Hampton, and Eric Green.

Still, it's hard to argue with the twin of your Pro-Bowl rookie offensive lineman when you need versatile offensive lineman. It's about as close as possible to a "known" commodity when you like what is known.

'PhD said:
Still, it's hard to argue with the twin of your Pro-Bowl rookie offensive lineman when you need versatile offensive lineman. It's about as close as possible to a "known" commodity when you like what is known.
I certainly think they will be on their list to be drafted in the first... I just don't think they are going to trade off other young rookie players to move up and grab him. Does he he fall into the "Troy Polamalu and Santonio Holmes" territory for them to have that line of thinking?

'PhD said:
I certainly think they will be on their list to be drafted in the first... I just don't think they are going to trade off other young rookie players to move up and grab him. Does he he fall into the "Troy Polamalu and Santonio Holmes" territory for them to have that line of thinking?
If it means just moving up three or four spots, I think they consider it. The goodwill alone for the brothers to be on the same team would probably be worth the cost. Any more than that, though, and I agree they stand pat.

Users who are viewing this thread