What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL*** Steelers 2011 Thread (1 Viewer)

Buck up young men and root for the Raven's.We are from the same mold so when we can't we need to know a team built the same way can.
between this sentiment and "let's be glad we got a better draft slot by losing now," the sickening feeling in my gut grows deeper. what in the world are you talking about? 1) you play to win the game. period. draft talk is for losers. 2) the ravens and their fans are to be reviled and deservedly so. will true steelers fans please stand up and be heard?! give me an effing break.

Buck up young men and root for the Raven's.We are from the same mold so when we can't we need to know a team built the same way can.
between this sentiment and "let's be glad we got a better draft slot by losing now," the sickening feeling in my gut grows deeper. what in the world are you talking about? 1) you play to win the game. period. draft talk is for losers. 2) the ravens and their fans are to be reviled and deservedly so. will true steelers fans please stand up and be heard?! give me an effing break.
I didn't WANT to lose for the better draft pick. Now that they have lost, I'm glad we have a better draft pick. Sure, I would have preferred the 32nd pick, but I don't think that was happening...and it certainly isn't happening now.

Pouncey lost his mind on Twitter last night. How can these guys be so dumb?
Please enlighten us folks who don't follow.
Here ya go.
I think it is dumb for any player to have a twitter account in the first place. I don't see any upside to it at all. Having said that I would hardly say he lost his mind, especially when you can't see the tweets he was responding to.
For a public figure to engage people he doesn't even know in a forum like Twitter the way Pouncey did...that qualifies as losing his mind in my book. YMMV.

Pouncey lost his mind on Twitter last night. How can these guys be so dumb?
Please enlighten us folks who don't follow.
Here ya go.
I think it is dumb for any player to have a twitter account in the first place. I don't see any upside to it at all. Having said that I would hardly say he lost his mind, especially when you can't see the tweets he was responding to.
For a public figure to engage people he doesn't even know in a forum like Twitter the way Pouncey did...that qualifies as losing his mind in my book. YMMV.
Young, immature and diva-ish. Hope he grows out of it, as it sounds a lot like Jamarcus Russell after getting razzed by Raiders fans. At least Pouncey has talent though. You don't have to be likeable to be a football player.

The timing of pimping some album right after a gut-wrenching loss is the worst thing about this, not the content of his subsequent Tweets.

Fans hate to be reminded that they often care much more deeply about the outcome of a game (or season) than the players earning hundreds of thousands of dollars to play the game.

Steelers wind up the season with 12 people on IR. I've never counted in years prior, but that has to be near the most in team history, doesn't it?

The timing of pimping some album right after a gut-wrenching loss is the worst thing about this, not the content of his subsequent Tweets.Fans hate to be reminded that they often care much more deeply about the outcome of a game (or season) than the players earning hundreds of thousands of dollars to play the game.
Very true. On our first day of vacation, do we really care much about how the workplace is doing, or the customers? Especially if our last day of work was a bad day that we could do nothing about? #### it, and where's my white russian? No, I don't want your ####### Chicklets! Get away from me and let me drink. I'll be happy next week. It's MY ####### VACATION NOW!!!

Steelers wind up the season with 12 people on IR. I've never counted in years prior, but that has to be near the most in team history, doesn't it?
How many starters? I wouldn't think 12 total is all that unusual.
For full time starters:ColonMendenhallSepulvedaAaron Smith for people who were rotated in / scheme dependent / ST / otherwise saw the field:J DwyerChris CarterCurtis BrownChris Hokeand backup QB Leftwich. Others who wouldn't have /didn't see much time:Byron BatchChavis, Miguel Clanton, Erik

For full time starters:Colon - meh. Would've been nice to have the depth yesterday.Mendenhall - hurt, but not terriblySepulveda - used to it by nowAaron Smith - moreso than Sepulveda, he is used up.for people who were rotated in / scheme dependent / ST / otherwise saw the field:J Dwyer - would've been nice for depth, but not important.Chris CarterCurtis BrownChris Hoke - would have been very nice to have yesterday after Casey went down.and backup QB Leftwich. Others who wouldn't have /didn't see much time:Byron Batch - may have played some yesterday.Chavis, Miguel Clanton, Erik
In all, I'd say a bit above average but not devastating. I'd suspect there is a team every year with more than that on IR.

For full time starters:ColonMendenhallSepulvedaAaron Smith for people who were rotated in / scheme dependent / ST / otherwise saw the field:J DwyerChris CarterCurtis BrownChris Hokeand backup QB Leftwich. Others who wouldn't have /didn't see much time:Byron BatchChavis, Miguel Clanton, Erik
I think backup DT S. McClendon is much better than Hoke IMHO

Seeing Mendenhall's name on that IR list reminded me of the only bright spot from yesterday's game: Isaac Redman.
Redman looked great. They will have some interesting decisions to make at RB very soon. Redman I'm sure will be tendered as a restricted free agent this offseason, hopefully they can sign him to a long-term deal at a friendly price. Mendenhall has one year left on his contract, coming off an ACL injury and a pretty unimpressive 2011 I'd be surprised if he's not allowed to walk after the season. Particularly if he's looking for top RB money. To me Redman is a better fit in this offense right now. The running game takes a backseat to Ben and the receivers so they just need runners that keep the chains moving. Redman has very few negative plays, great in short yardage, very solid all around back. Doesn't have the extra gear Mendenhall has but is a much tougher runner in traffic.

For full time starters:Colon - meh. Would've been nice to have the depth yesterday.Mendenhall - hurt, but not terriblySepulveda - used to it by nowAaron Smith - moreso than Sepulveda, he is used up.for people who were rotated in / scheme dependent / ST / otherwise saw the field:J Dwyer - would've been nice for depth, but not important.Chris CarterCurtis BrownChris Hoke - would have been very nice to have yesterday after Casey went down.and backup QB Leftwich. Others who wouldn't have /didn't see much time:Byron Batch - may have played some yesterday.Chavis, Miguel Clanton, Erik
In all, I'd say a bit above average but not devastating. I'd suspect there is a team every year with more than that on IR.
Yeah, I don't see any names on that list that would have made a huge difference on Sunday.

Seeing Mendenhall's name on that IR list reminded me of the only bright spot from yesterday's game: Isaac Redman.
Redman looked great. They will have some interesting decisions to make at RB very soon. Redman I'm sure will be tendered as a restricted free agent this offseason, hopefully they can sign him to a long-term deal at a friendly price. Mendenhall has one year left on his contract, coming off an ACL injury and a pretty unimpressive 2011 I'd be surprised if he's not allowed to walk after the season. Particularly if he's looking for top RB money. To me Redman is a better fit in this offense right now. The running game takes a backseat to Ben and the receivers so they just need runners that keep the chains moving. Redman has very few negative plays, great in short yardage, very solid all around back. Doesn't have the extra gear Mendenhall has but is a much tougher runner in traffic.
I agree with this. I have a feeling Mendy's going to be on the PUP list to start the season anyway. It usually takes a full year to recover.

What has become clear to me is how incredibly awful the Steelers oline has been for the past several years. I watch QBs like Brady, Brees, Rodgers, etc. stand back there with plenty of time to check down to 2nd, 3rd, 4th looks. Meanwhile Ben is often avoiding the rush before he ever has a chance to set his feet.

Just look at the game yesterday. The difference in oline play was significant. It makes no sense to have a $100 million QB and not make more of an effort to build a line capable of protecting him. I know they've started to address it, but they need a serious upgrade there before next season.

This roster could look significantly different next year. And it should.
Aaron Smith, Hoke, Kemo, Colon, McFadden all should be gone. I wouldnt mind keeping Hines and Farrior on the cheap with restructured deals but otherwise they should be gone, and I only would want to keep Farrior because Im not sure Timmons, Sylvester, Foote is enough at ILB. If they spend a top 3 pick on ILB or bring in a solid FA, then sayonara Farrior.I thought due to the Steelers being projected $25+ mill over the cap for 2012 that Silverback would be a cap casualty and be cut due to the combination of his salary and age, but if they do get rid of all/75% of the above guys it probably wont be hard to keep him. Still wouldnt surprise me if they did end up cutting him though since Worilds was respectable and continues to improve.

Just look at the game yesterday. The difference in oline play was significant. It makes no sense to have a $100 million QB and not make more of an effort to build a line capable of protecting him. I know they've started to address it, but they need a serious upgrade there before next season.
I cant remember the exact numbers, but I heard early in the year that the Steelers had over $100 million tied up in their starting OL (Colon/Kemo/Pouncey/??/Gilbert) which that figure was IIRC the 3rd highest total in the NFL. So, theyre spending money there, just clearly on the wrong guys outside of Pouncey and Gilbert.

You dont realize yet that you are in the vast minority of fans who are so distraught over yesterday's loss? Most of us saw the writing on the wall with the Steelers chances at Super Bowl victory this year.

What has become clear to me is how incredibly awful the Steelers oline has been for the past several years. I watch QBs like Brady, Brees, Rodgers, etc. stand back there with plenty of time to check down to 2nd, 3rd, 4th looks. Meanwhile Ben is often avoiding the rush before he ever has a chance to set his feet. Just look at the game yesterday. The difference in oline play was significant. It makes no sense to have a $100 million QB and not make more of an effort to build a line capable of protecting him. I know they've started to address it, but they need a serious upgrade there before next season.
Can't imagine why this is an issue.

What has become clear to me is how incredibly awful the Steelers oline has been for the past several years. I watch QBs like Brady, Brees, Rodgers, etc. stand back there with plenty of time to check down to 2nd, 3rd, 4th looks. Meanwhile Ben is often avoiding the rush before he ever has a chance to set his feet. Just look at the game yesterday. The difference in oline play was significant. It makes no sense to have a $100 million QB and not make more of an effort to build a line capable of protecting him. I know they've started to address it, but they need a serious upgrade there before next season.
Can't imagine why this is an issue.
:lmao:

'Kenny Powers said:
You dont realize yet that you are in the vast minority of fans who are so distraught over yesterday's loss? Most of us saw the writing on the wall with the Steelers chances at Super Bowl victory this year.
95% of the locals were convinced the steelers would win this game (many believed in a cakewalk) and then move on to take on the Pats who we defeated earlier in the year. i would say the expectation going into this game was that this steelers team, even with the injuries, had a legit chance to play in the AFC title game. no one was giving the broncos much chance to score on the vaunted steelers defense. so, yes, i am distraught that the D played poorly, that they dropped 30 points on us, that we did not get the chance to knock the Pats out ourselves.somewhere along the line, these sure-we-would win steelers fans suddenly saw writing on the wall that this 12-4 team's chances dropped to nearly nil? sounds like rationalization to me. i'm fine taking my distraught self into analysis next week, but i'm not buying excuses about injuries or fate or whatever. the defense played poorly, the coaches coached poorly and i am pissed about their recurring boneheaded clock management issues. i feel they are inexcusable mistakes and yet everyone and their brother is excusing them.

'Kenny Powers said:
95% of the locals were convinced the steelers would win this game (many believed in a cakewalk) and then move on to take on the Pats who we defeated earlier in the year. i would say the expectation going into this game was that this steelers team, even with the injuries, had a legit chance to play in the AFC title game. no one was giving the broncos much chance to score on the vaunted steelers defense. so, yes, i am distraught that the D played poorly, that they dropped 30 points on us, that we did not get the chance to knock the Pats out ourselves.somewhere along the line, these sure-we-would win steelers fans suddenly saw writing on the wall that this 12-4 team's chances dropped to nearly nil? sounds like rationalization to me. i'm fine taking my distraught self into analysis next week, but i'm not buying excuses about injuries or fate or whatever. the defense played poorly, the coaches coached poorly and i am pissed about their recurring boneheaded clock management issues. i feel they are inexcusable mistakes and yet everyone and their brother is excusing them.
Im not excusing them for the loss and still cant believe Tebow just beat the #1 defense, but with how injured they are right now (Hampton and Keisel definitely would not play this week), the NE game being on the road, and never beating cheaters twice in the same year since Brady's been there, us beating them this week wouldve been a toss up at best and I personally would lean more towards 25% chance all things considered.

The kicker was a surprising bright spot as well. Thats about it though.
Id add Timmons and Troy as well, though the latter did have a few mistakes/blown coverages.
I know I'm just picking nits now, but seriouslyWTF was troy doing on that last play? He's just jogging as Thomas takes off and doesn't even try to catch him. I'm not suggesting he for sure could have caught him, but I've seen him run down some plays before with insane closing speed. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpjRp9O620Q

'Kenny Powers said:
Im not excusing them for the loss and still cant believe Tebow just beat the #1 defense, but with how injured they are right now (Hampton and Keisel definitely would not play this week), the NE game being on the road, and never beating cheaters twice in the same year since Brady's been there, us beating them this week wouldve been a toss up at best and I personally would lean more towards 25% chance all things considered.
completely agree. and yet the 25-50% chance we'd give the steelers against the evil empire is STILL more love than the Broncos are getting in the FBG poll. i'll take the 25% chance to beat the Pats over four draft slots in a heartbeat, everytime.

The kicker was a surprising bright spot as well. Thats about it though.
Id add Timmons and Troy as well, though the latter did have a few mistakes/blown coverages.
I know I'm just picking nits now, but seriouslyWTF was troy doing on that last play? He's just jogging as Thomas takes off and doesn't even try to catch him. I'm not suggesting he for sure could have caught him, but I've seen him run down some plays before with insane closing speed. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpjRp9O620Q
I dont see him catching up to Thomas but he certainly couldve given more effort right after the catch.He overall had a very good games and made some nice plays, namely around the LOS, but he was out of position in coverage at least a few times last night

'Kenny Powers said:
completely agree. and yet the 25-50% chance we'd give the steelers against the evil empire is STILL more love than the Broncos are getting in the FBG poll. i'll take the 25% chance to beat the Pats over four draft slots in a heartbeat, everytime.
Depends on who they draft ;)

i'm sick all over again. tebow shows his true colors and the broncos don't even belong on the field with the pats. the fact that the steelers loss to the broncos made the road to the super bowl easier for the patriots rankles me. what a debacle last week. more evidence that the steelers were not coached well and did not play well on defense.

i'm sick all over again. tebow shows his true colors and the broncos don't even belong on the field with the pats. the fact that the steelers loss to the broncos made the road to the super bowl easier for the patriots rankles me. what a debacle last week. more evidence that the steelers were not coached well and did not play well on defense.
I still dont think we'd win the SB so not too angry about tonight.That said, the blame for the loss seemingly shifts from Arians to Lebeau. How exactly do you let that jesus lover beat you again?!

I love it compared to settling for Williams, and really hope we make some noise to get the guys we want tomorrow. Based on how this round went, Im almost more excited for tomorrow
I pretty much feel like this. I'd rather they had taken Sherrod, but it's tough to argue with Heyward when you look big picture: The Steelers' DL, as a whole, is "Methusela-esque", Cam's bust risk is very low, he fits their scheme nearly perfectly, and by all accounts isn't a stooge. Glad they didn't settle on Williams. If they can land a guy like Patrick/Burton/even Williams if he fell or, say, an Ijalana come round 2 they should be in pretty good shape moving on to rounds 3-5.
Yeah. I would have liked Sherrod. I just think age issues are on both sides of the line and that OL was a higher priority. I'd love Ijalana in Round 2. I'm just afraid that by going DL in Rd 1, they feel obligated to go CB in Rd 2, leaving OL out of the mix.
I'd have been pissed if they picked Sherrod and I'll be ok if they leave OL out of the mix. :pokey:
Weird, for some reason the other day I ran across this thread and remembered it was Sherrod vs Heyward. Guess the Steelers dodged a bullet there (even though Sherrod likely wasn't on their board.

The Packers placed former first-round pick OT Derek Sherrod on waivers Monday, according to NFL transactions release.

Users who are viewing this thread