What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bill James Appreciation Thread (1 Viewer)

Eephus

Footballguy
Good article in the St. Louis Post Dispatch

"Every morning when I wake up I always remember dreams, and I always have," James said. "Seven days out of 10, I remember a dream about baseball. Baseball is central to how my view of the world is organized, and I tend — to my detriment — to see the rest of the world as an extension of the principles that I look for in the study of baseball.

"I don't think you could take baseball out of it for me at all."

I first discovered James when I got the Historical Abstract (too young for the annuals). I don't know how much different my outlook on baseball would be if not for him. He's had a huge impact.

I've always wondered why he seemed to have it in for Sparky Anderson.

James has downplayed Sparky's influence on the Big Red Machine, and really got on him about staying on too long in Detroit.

I've always wondered why he seemed to have it in for Sparky Anderson.

James has downplayed Sparky's influence on the Big Red Machine, and really got on him about staying on too long in Detroit.
When Enos Cabell was hot early in the year, you'd ask Sparky Anderson about him and Sparky would say "Enos Cabell is a we ballplayer. You don't hear Enos Cabell saying 'I did this' and 'I did that.'" I think that's what drives me nuts about Sparky Anderson, that he's so full of brown stuff that it just doesn't seem like he has any words left over for a basic, fundamental understanding of the game. I want to look at a player on the basis of what, specifically, he can and cannot do to help you win a baseball game, but Sparky's so full of "winners" and "discipline" and "we ballplayers" and self-consciously asinine theories about baseball that he seems to have no concept of how it is, mechanically, that baseball games are won and lost. I mean, I would never say that it was not important to have a team with a good attitude, but Christ, Sparky, there are millions of people in this country who have good attitudes, but there are only about 200 who can play a major-league brand of baseball, so which are you going to take? Sparky is so focused on all that attitude stuff that he looks at an Enos Cabell and he doesn't even see that the man can't play baseball. This we ballplayer, Sparky, can't play first, can't play third, can't hit, can't run and can't throw. So who cares what his attitude is?
This was in the 1983 Abstract. Cabell left Detroit as a free agent following the 1983 season and the Tigers won 104 games in 1984.Baseball Analysts has recaps of the twelve Abstracts. They're worth reading if you're interested in baseball during the late 70s and 80s. James' writing is fun as always and he was more irreverent when he was younger. These days he's more of an insider now and probably wiser about his limitations. I can't imagine the 2011 James publicly ripping a guy like his beatdown of Sparky.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got my first Abstract in '84 and I've been a fan ever since.  I will bring out an old copy every now and then to re-read, which can be a blast.

That Trump article represents my feelings pretty well. Yay Bill!

Users who are viewing this thread