Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Addai's Adidas

We've cut the cable

On 9/26/2018 at 6:29 PM, Phil Elliott said:

Spectrum offers a streaming service also (may not be available everywhere yet). Depending on the channels you are looking for, you can probably get a bundle rate with the internet service.

I'm internet only right now. I have gotten those flyers/cards with the $21.99/month deal for the 20 channels or whatever. We considered it, but honestly we really just don't need more than what we have right now - antenna, Netflix, HBO, Showtime, Amazon, Hulu (3 of which we may or may not be "borrowing")

• Like 1

So, Spectrum coming on Friday to do the setup for Internet - getting the 400MB Internet.

Safe to go with their modem (have been told with the 400MB theirs is ok)? If not, what modem and router do those of you that have done this suggest?

On 10/2/2018 at 11:00 AM, acarey50 said:

So, Spectrum coming on Friday to do the setup for Internet - getting the 400MB Internet.

Safe to go with their modem (have been told with the 400MB theirs is ok)? If not, what modem and router do those of you that have done this suggest?

Not sure if you can still get a discount on the bill if you buy your own modem but if you can I'd look into that.  You need to make sure it's a model # on an approved list though. I used to save $10 a month doing this, not sure if they still do it or not.

I have a Nighthawk R7000 router and it works pretty well. There are a couple spots in my house that are weaker than the rest (on the complete opposite side of the house) but it does pretty well overall... even outside. 

If you have a larger house you could look into a mesh system to keep a consistent signal, I've heard good things about the Google wifi setup for that but I haven't personally tested it.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, KiddLattimer said:

Not sure if you can still get a discount on the bill if you buy your own modem but if you can I'd look into that.  You need to make sure it's a model # on an approved list though. I used to save $10 a month doing this, not sure if they still do it or not.

I have a Nighthawk R7000 router and it works pretty well. There are a couple spots in my house that are weaker than the rest (on the complete opposite side of the house) but it does pretty well overall... even outside. 

If you have a larger house you could look into a mesh system to keep a consistent signal, I've heard good things about the Google wifi setup for that but I haven't personally tested it.

My bill doesn't even break it down at all. Internet service - $64.99. Wondering about the discount on the modem if I get my own...

I have Google WiFi and it works great. There are very few instances where I have less than full connection on any device and I can even get pretty good connection when I'm outside. Totally worth it and really easy to set up. The app is really user friendly too as far as testing speed, mesh connection, etc.

And we are done--

Canceled all Uverse service, just have to return the equipment which I'll do tonight or tomorrow.

Went with Spectrum 400MB plan - $65/month - speed test shows that it's coming into the house at over 450MB

Got an Obi200 that I've setup with Google voice as the wife wanted to keep the home line - this involved porting the number from A&T to a T-Mobile account, and then to Google Voice. Right around $30 and a little time for that process.

Already had Netflix and Amazon Prime - have added Hulu live - so far so good, but with the number of people in our house at the moment, I may have to upgrade to the unlimited streams plan, at least for the short term.

Now I just wonder why I did not do this sooner. Saving over $100/month which will pay off the extra equipment I bout in short order (2 Apple TVs and the Obi200)

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Update for me:

Called to cancel Directv today. I was connected to a loyalty representative who offered to give us a credit of $60/month and upgrade our equipment which apparently is outdated.  (I'm only getting 480p on the receiver and I can't get it to change).  He offered the ST, but that's not a huge deal for me so I declined.  Our bill still would have been around $70/month.  We went with Directv Now and it has been going well on the $40/month plan.  

• Like 2

What are people using for a NAS? I am not cutting cable, but am looking for something to store all of my Media so that it is more accessible by the family. One of my kids is moving away from Apple that the rest of the family has, so I need to have something more generic, therefore I am looking at PLEX for the media.

My thought is to store the media (and other stuff) on a NAS that can run as a Plex server, and if that can't handle the transcoding I will later get something like a Mac Mini that can perform those tasks sufficiently.

I have been looking at a QNAP TS-415+ and a Synology 918+. Anyone have any experience with those, or something like them.

TIA!

On 10/23/2018 at 10:47 AM, Mr. Ected said:

What are people using for a NAS? I am not cutting cable, but am looking for something to store all of my Media so that it is more accessible by the family. One of my kids is moving away from Apple that the rest of the family has, so I need to have something more generic, therefore I am looking at PLEX for the media.

My thought is to store the media (and other stuff) on a NAS that can run as a Plex server, and if that can't handle the transcoding I will later get something like a Mac Mini that can perform those tasks sufficiently.

I have been looking at a QNAP TS-415+ and a Synology 918+. Anyone have any experience with those, or something like them.

TIA!

Windows Storage Spaces.  Especially if you have an extra or old PC lying around.  Simple to set up router to wake and allow remote access while at work or traveling.

ETA: Ooops, seen that you're Apple, never mind and good luck.

Edited by tonydead

Looking like more options available for cloud DVR and Hulu Live seems to be a great option.  $40 per month, add $15 for 200 hours of cloud dvr.  Can record anything other than like ESPN/disney stuff it seems?  No real way to record that at this point.

But have that plus NFL game pass seems like a great option to direct + sunday ticket.

Doing the free week trial of it now to see how the family likes it.

On 10/23/2018 at 10:47 AM, Mr. Ected said:

TIA!

I've been using a QNAP TS-431 for 2-3 years and it's been fine. A bit finicky to set up for remote management and stuff, but, once it got going it's been ok.

From what I remember the QNAPs are a bit tricky... every model has a different CPU base and processing speed and whatever. So not all of them are suitable for being media streaming servers. Do a lot of looking into exactly what you want to use it for before pulling the trigger.

9 minutes ago, Walking Boot said:

I've been using a QNAP TS-431 for 2-3 years and it's been fine. A bit finicky to set up for remote management and stuff, but, once it got going it's been ok.

From what I remember the QNAPs are a bit tricky... every model has a different CPU base and processing speed and whatever. So not all of them are suitable for being media streaming servers. Do a lot of looking into exactly what you want to use it for before pulling the trigger.

Thanks!

I have slowed a bit because I need to figure out what I am going to do for backup with the new configuration (moving media and other data away from my main computer). My main piece of concern is what to do for back-up. Right now I have everything going to a cloud storage, but they don't do NAS servers. That makes me think that I might look more at getting a Mac Mini Mini and attach my drives to it.

MFing Nickelodeon may be the death of me trying to cut cable.

Seemingly not available on any service and limited on demand options without a cable/satellite provider.

Amd of course it’s where my kids watch several shows

5 hours ago, sho nuff said:

Looking like more options available for cloud DVR and Hulu Live seems to be a great option.  $40 per month, add $15 for 200 hours of cloud dvr.  Can record anything other than like ESPN/disney stuff it seems?  No real way to record that at this point.

But have that plus NFL game pass seems like a great option to direct + sunday ticket.

Doing the free week trial of it now to see how the family likes it.

I would really like to try Hulu live, but the biggest thing keeping me from it is the fact that it does not carry NFL network.

2 hours ago, sho nuff said:

Seemingly not available on any service and limited on demand options without a cable/satellite provider.

Introduce them to Youtube, the will never watch regular TV again.  (I will never understand what my kids get out of watching other people play video games).

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, snellman said:

I would really like to try Hulu live, but the biggest thing keeping me from it is the fact that it does not carry NFL network.

Introduce them to Youtube, the will never watch regular TV again.  (I will never understand what my kids get out of watching other people play video games).

They are on YouTube already. But have a few nick shows they like that are still putting out new episodes.

NFL network (mostly red zone) I would love (and it’s a plus for sling). I’m trying each out for  their trials.

Will likely be hooking on to Game Pass anyway.

Just axed cable the other day.  I have Internet only plus NFL GamePass International.  Bought 2 digital antennas and not much has changed.  We watch local news and hit my network HDDs for everything else like I did when I had cable.  Estimated savings are $1,600 next year.  So glad I finally did it. :thumbup:

• Like 1

On 10/25/2018 at 5:35 PM, sho nuff said:

When we cut the cord earlier this year we jumped to DTVN only because they were the one service that included Nick at lower levels.

Is there an option (sling, youtube, etc.) that will allow me to have CNN/FOX/MSNBC for news/talk/dumb arguments AND FS1, ESPN, ESPN2, TNT, ESPN other networks for sports?

9 minutes ago, cubd8 said:

Is there an option (sling, youtube, etc.) that will allow me to have CNN/FOX/MSNBC for news/talk/dumb arguments AND FS1, ESPN, ESPN2, TNT, ESPN other networks for sports?

PlayStation Vue has all of these channels. 

4 minutes ago, Man In The Box said:

Thank you. I assume one of the short-comings is no local cable option for local sports outside of what is on the free local channels?

In other words, as a Chicago fan, how would I get access to watching the Cubs/Sox/Bulls/Blackhawks.

The Vue would definitely cover me nationally.

1 minute ago, cubd8 said:

Thank you. I assume one of the short-comings is no local cable option for local sports outside of what is on the free local channels?

In other words, as a Chicago fan, how would I get access to watching the Cubs/Sox/Bulls/Blackhawks.

I’m in the NYC area, I get my locals plus YES (Yankees, Nets) and SNY (Mets). Hockey coverage for me is non-existant unfortunately, other than national games on NBCSN, because the MSG networks are not available on Vue. 

I switched to YouTube from PSvue. Better interface and channels but no NFL Network.

21 minutes ago, Man In The Box said:

For a rookie that has Fios can you give me a breakdown on benifits of Vue? Looks like you can get all the same channels plus movie channels but it’s about $80/mo? Do you need a PlayStation 4 and will it stream to all TVs in house? Sorry still getting ripped off by Verizon and haven’t researched options much as I’m hesitant to give up movie channels. 

2 minutes ago, GoBirds said:

For a rookie that has Fios can you give me a breakdown on benifits of Vue? Looks like you can get all the same channels plus movie channels but it’s about $80/mo? Do you need a PlayStation 4 and will it stream to all TVs in house? Sorry still getting ripped off by Verizon and haven’t researched options much as I’m hesitant to give up movie channels. 

My package is 59.99/month. No taxes, fees, etc. There are 2 packages that cost less than ours,  and I think there’s one that’s more expensive. You need a device on every TV. It doesn’t have to be a PS4. We use Amazon Fire TV’s on our 3 TV’s. You can use any streaming device, I believe (Fire TV, Roku, Apple TV). 

• Like 1

Has anyone tried Expedite TV? 800 channels including AMC, Redzone and all NFL games for $15 month (intro 3 months) and then $20 ongoing with no contract. 

I have a Visio that will only get Hulu db and not the live Hulu, plus wife has to watch Walking Dead on AMC.

So I guess I'll have to buy a Roku to try the Expedite.

On 12/26/2018 at 8:36 PM, cubd8 said:

Hulu Live ($45) has all of this plus all the local networks here.  I would assume it functions the same in Chicago.  I still get local news, severe weather alerts, etc.  

I love it.  On Saturdays it has a college football tab that shows fast access to all the games.  Flipping thru channels is not ideal, but nothing that's going to make me think about going back to traditional cable.  

4 hours ago, jb1020 said:

Hulu Live ($45) has all of this plus all the local networks here.  I would assume it functions the same in Chicago.  I still get local news, severe weather alerts, etc.  

I love it.  On Saturdays it has a college football tab that shows fast access to all the games.  Flipping thru channels is not ideal, but nothing that's going to make me think about going back to traditional cable.  

I’m thinking about Hulu TV. I already have Hulu so that gets thrown in and I have Fire TVs so YouTube TV is out. I plan to get one of those Fire TV recasts for DVRing local channels as I have a big antenna in my attic from my days with HD when local channels weren’t included. Netflix, Prime, Hulu, Hulu TV, HBO (via AT&T unlimited) and DVR’d local channels should be more than enough to finally dump Dish. Love Dish, but for all the TVs it’s $150 a month. Not worth it now that the kids watch more Netflix than regular TV. 

6 minutes ago, stbugs said:

I’m thinking about Hulu TV. I already have Hulu so that gets thrown in and I have Fire TVs so YouTube TV is out. I plan to get one of those Fire TV recasts for DVRing local channels as I have a big antenna in my attic from my days with HD when local channels weren’t included. Netflix, Prime, Hulu, Hulu TV, HBO (via AT&T unlimited) and DVR’d local channels should be more than enough to finally dump Dish. Love Dish, but for all the TVs it’s $150 a month. Not worth it now that the kids watch more Netflix than regular TV. 

I've had Hulu LIve since it came out, never been a regret.  Its gotten a lot better.  Honestly, I don't think you'll need the recast now.  You should be able to DVR everything in Hulu, even local stuff.  

3 minutes ago, jb1020 said:

I've had Hulu LIve since it came out, never been a regret.  Its gotten a lot better.  Honestly, I don't think you'll need the recast now.  You should be able to DVR everything in Hulu, even local stuff.  

Great to know. The only thing I was thinking was number of streams. I’ve got 5 people in the house now and we have family over here and there. I’ve seen some DVR time limitations or showing with ads, so I’ll probably still get it when it goes on sale. It’s a one time buy and I’ll probably make it a gift for myself.

Also, while Spectrum’s been solid for Internet this would be something we could still watch if the Internet goes out like it did this week. Lots of construction and we’ve had cases where they cut a line.

1 minute ago, stbugs said:

Great to know. The only thing I was thinking was number of streams. I’ve got 5 people in the house now and we have family over here and there. I’ve seen some DVR time limitations or showing with ads, so I’ll probably still get it when it goes on sale. It’s a one time buy and I’ll probably make it a gift for myself.

Also, while Spectrum’s been solid for Internet this would be something we could still watch if the Internet goes out like it did this week. Lots of construction and we’ve had cases where they cut a line.

You can pay to upgrade DVR storage and upgrade to unlimited streams.  Might be like another $25 total.  Don't know off the top of my head.  

True about watching when the internet goes out.  

2 hours ago, jb1020 said:

You can pay to upgrade DVR storage and upgrade to unlimited streams.  Might be like another $25 total.  Don't know off the top of my head.  

True about watching when the internet goes out.  

Looked it up. Extra $20 a month for both of those. Not too bad. I’ll see how it goes first. I need to upgrade my Internet to 200mbps as well from 100. 

Edited by stbugs

I would like to try Hulu live, but Hulu not having NFL network is a big thing for me.  I am currently on PSVue and have considered giving Hulu a try once football season is over and NFL network is a bunch of reruns, but we will see.

9 hours ago, Joe Mammy said:

Has anyone tried Expedite TV? 800 channels including AMC, Redzone and all NFL games for $15 month (intro 3 months) and then $20 ongoing with no contract. 

I have a Visio that will only get Hulu db and not the live Hulu, plus wife has to watch Walking Dead on AMC.

I haven't tried Expedite but we have been using a different IPTV, onesteptv, for the past several months.  I posted a bit about it in the DirecTV thread.  Most of the IPTVs I've seen are offering similar products at this point with the differences being the quality of the Customer Service, the number of devices, and the guide/interfaces.  

Onestep has definitely been solid for us so far.  More channels than we'll ever watch, all the sports packages, PPV events, premium movie channels and a huge on demand library on up to 4 devices for $25/month.  We're using fire sticks.

I also went to high school with a guy who started GNR tv.  I haven't used it but a lot of my friends have and they all like it.  From what I've heard, they have really great customer service but they're all little more expensive on multiple devices.

1 hour ago, snellman said:

I would like to try Hulu live, but Hulu not having NFL network is a big thing for me.  I am currently on PSVue and have considered giving Hulu a try once football season is over and NFL network is a bunch of reruns, but we will see.

What’s on NFL network that isn’t on other channels? I have Amazon Prime and they have the Thursday night games and IIRC, I thought the local CBS or Fox had the games on as well. I don’t think it’s like it used to be a couple years ago when it was only NFL network. 

17 minutes ago, stbugs said:

What’s on NFL network that isn’t on other channels? I have Amazon Prime and they have the Thursday night games and IIRC, I thought the local CBS or Fox had the games on as well. I don’t think it’s like it used to be a couple years ago when it was only NFL network. 

You're correct. The prime and hulu live combo gets every nfl game. 

Going to go youtube tv this week.  Roku the best?  I have a mammoth 40" Sony Wega from 2003(?), great pic but probably going to have to somehow(300#'s) get to the curb.

On 1/17/2019 at 10:33 AM, Joe Mammy said:

Is this a legal service or pirated streams packaged together and sold?

On 12/26/2018 at 11:02 PM, Jed said:

What is the cheapest, cable cutting way to get RedZone?

I use NFL GamePass International to get all games plus RZC.  It’s $115 a season or so.

4 hours ago, SofaKings said:

Going to go youtube tv this week.  Roku the best?  I have a mammoth 40" Sony Wega from 2003(?), great pic but probably going to have to somehow(300#'s) get to the curb.

Yes, Roku is the best.   Also, you own it as opposed to paying $15 a month to rent a POS box from a cable company.

• Like 1

On 12/26/2018 at 11:02 PM, Jed said:

What is the cheapest, cable cutting way to get RedZone?

My best route (and believe me, I have kicked this can from one side of the supermarket to the other, trying everything and anything out there) was PSVUE.

All in all, it is as about as simple as you can get. You get the PS VUE, which is a solid service in and of itself, and you add on the $10/month sports extras that gives you, admittedly, a BUNCH of grarbage sports channels but also has RZ nested in it.  You pick it up for the part of the season you want and drop it when you are ready. For me, I pick it up in September and drop it in December, so I have access to it for $40.  

This part may be coincidence but I will toss it out there in case it has legs (haven't had a way to test it): I recently moved to a very remote cabin and am ALMOST off the gird.  With that comes a lot of fun challenges and one of them is I can't even get OTA antenna service with a top-end 150 mile antenna. So, I rely mainly on an awesome antenna I have that allows me to go from no cell service to great cell service and a very rudimentary Internet experience with crawling speeds.  With limited bandwidth, I have to pay attention to what I am streaming and how many devices or the buffer & stutter monsters get me.  Anyway, I have noticed that streaming a football game is more challenging than a standard show or movie.  I guess the movement, etc,  (Or something) has an impact.  So, watching a Fox game is okay but subject to poorer visuals.  Red Zone, on the other hand, has consistently streamed strong and without stuttering at all. Again, might be coincidence, but it has been a very good thing for me and my limited bandwidth. 

9 hours ago, Arizona Ron said:

Yes, Roku is the best.   Also, you own it as opposed to paying $15 a month to rent a POS box from a cable company.

I don't think Roku is the best. I wasn't a huge fan of my old Roku and I liked my Apple TV better. Now I like my Fire TV even better. I like the UI and having Alexa on one of them (the cube) and an Echo. That let's me have them tied into home automation as well (lights - awesome for Christmas). I'm sure Roku has gotten better, but I like the whole ecosystem approach, which I think will only get better.

On 1/20/2019 at 9:14 AM, SofaKings said:

if you are looking to replace the Sony and stay at 40" this looks like a nice deal on a 40" HD Roku TV

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sharp-40-class-led-1080p-smart-hdtv-roku-tv/6261177.p?ref=8575135&loc=7ad8fc0a200411e9a77aeef2e093f6790INT&acampID=7ad8fc0a200411e9a77aeef2e093f6790INT&skuId=6261177

Edited by JoeSteeler
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, JoeSteeler said:

Thanks, just picked up. I'm gonna try the Expeditetv with it. 

I am a little confused on Hulu. 

I understand Hulu with Live TV. 

My question relates to just the basic Hulu package.  I see notes that there are VOD's available the day after they air, on the regular Hulu package.  If this is true, what channels are supported by this vod feature in the base package?  i assume it is just a small subset of the channels available in the Live TV pack but I can't find a list.

15 hours ago, NewlyRetired said:

I am a little confused on Hulu. 

I understand Hulu with Live TV. 

My question relates to just the basic Hulu package.  I see notes that there are VOD's available the day after they air, on the regular Hulu package.  If this is true, what channels are supported by this vod feature in the base package?  i assume it is just a small subset of the channels available in the Live TV pack but I can't find a list.

bump in case any one knows the answer here...

1 hour ago, NewlyRetired said:

bump in case any one knows the answer here...

don't know the answer but you can get a 7 day free trial to check it out

• Like 1