Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Addai's Adidas

We've cut the cable

2 hours ago, Slider said:

I like YouTube TV the best.

That is who I went with.  They have all my locals plus a dedicated channel for OCSC games.  Only problem is I just got my wife used to Hulus setup.  Now I'm going to have to get her use to Youtube Tv.  She is even slower than I am to adapting to technology.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, DropKick said:

When I canceled, the cable company offered a streaming option for $30.  Wasn't horrible - sounded like a basic package with a choice of some extra channels (one premium).  No support for cloud storage though and not sure if this would be HD or not...

I had Spectrum and they offered me the same package. I think they called it Spectrum Choice. It was the local channels and your choice of 10 additional channels from a choice of about 30 channels. Wasn't a bad deal if you didn't need a lot channels. Tried it for about a month but the app was absolutely horrendous. It never loaded and crashed countlessly EVERY night. Was unwatchable and I cancelled after about 1 week. Called service and kept getting the "our engineers are working on it". After doing a little bit of searching on the internet it sounds like the problem was ongoing and their "engineers were working on it" for a couple of years. Wouldn't touch it if they paid me for it.

20 hours ago, rustycolts said:

That is who I went with.  They have all my locals plus a dedicated channel for OCSC games.  Only problem is I just got my wife used to Hulus setup.  Now I'm going to have to get her use to Youtube Tv.  She is even slower than I am to adapting to technology.

After the wife started flinging the remotes across the room I returned our Firestick and just bite the bullet on the Spectrum cable bill.

anyone figure out how to download HBO GO on LG's WebOS?

On 3/21/2019 at 9:34 PM, Cowboysfan8 said:

The hell of it is, I enjoy my Comcast cable, I have internet too. 

No problems. But it pisses me off to no end that I'm paying over $200 per month for  basically the same package that they advertise daily for new customers to get for $89 per month

I even get the ads in the ####### mail  🙄

####ers

You can pry my X1 from my cold dead hands!!!

On 3/24/2019 at 8:25 PM, KingPrawn said:

I had Spectrum and they offered me the same package. I think they called it Spectrum Choice. It was the local channels and your choice of 10 additional channels from a choice of about 30 channels. Wasn't a bad deal if you didn't need a lot channels. Tried it for about a month but the app was absolutely horrendous. It never loaded and crashed countlessly EVERY night. Was unwatchable and I cancelled after about 1 week. Called service and kept getting the "our engineers are working on it". After doing a little bit of searching on the internet it sounds like the problem was ongoing and their "engineers were working on it" for a couple of years. Wouldn't touch it if they paid me for it.

Started a Hulu trial.  Added Starz to their Hulu and Live TV package and am about $76 a month less than Cable.  Few stations but that's OK.  Setup from an Apple Computer was a snap.  I think I need one of the kids to navigate the Xbox set-up.  Probably spring for Fire Stick shortly

So Directv Now has an offer of the first month free.  This is for one of two packages that includes HBO - "Max" and "Plus".  So can I sign up for it, watch HBO free for the next month, and then cancel before the first charge hits? 

15 minutes ago, matttyl said:

So can I sign up for it, watch HBO free for the next month, and then cancel before the first charge hits? 

Yes.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Craig_MiamiFL said:

Yes.

Sweet!  I've been using different email addresses to to "free one week  trials" of HBO now to rewatch all of GoT.  This seems much easier.

Edited by matttyl

I had just dropped Hulu because they went up to $50 bucks a month.  I went with youtube tv and now find out today they are raising their price to $50.  Anyone have any suggestions on a streaming service that is remaining fairly cheap?  I have OTA channels for my locals also have Netflix and Amazon prime so really just need something to replace popular cable channels.  Thanks.

Yeah, not happy about this new youtube tv development at all.

May need to start reconsidering other options.

Slowly but surely we will be heading back to playing the game with cable bundles as everyone raises prices. 

• Like 5

On 3/2/2019 at 2:28 PM, themeanmachine said:

I really like the new free CBS Sports HQ app for Apple TV (I think it’s available for Roku as well, plus browser streaming). Sometimes I just want a live Sportscenter-like highlights show, like Sportscenter used to be a few years ago, when it was actually just sports highlights and not all commentary. In the times I’ve turned this new app on in the past few days, it seems to fill that void pretty well. 

It also broadcast the Super Bowl for free.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rustycolts said:

I had just dropped Hulu because they went up to $50 bucks a month.  I went with youtube tv and now find out today they are raising their price to $50.  Anyone have any suggestions on a streaming service that is remaining fairly cheap?  I have OTA channels for my locals also have Netflix and Amazon prime so really just need something to replace popular cable channels.  Thanks.

For a bunch of channels I will never ever watch. Meet the new boss...

It's only a matter of time before they reach cable prices. I thought it was fairly obvious they were starting off cheap to capture customers. 

Not paying for cable boxes and DVR fees is a step forward.  and the the additional fees and taxes on top of that.  I don't mind paying a reasonable amount for programming.  

Live in a rural area and picked up a discounted antennae that I placed near a TV on the second floor - pleased with the results.  Will look into a high quality antennae and consider an attic mount... Assume that would be preferable?  Hoping to pick up locals plus..  At worst, not a bad fail-safe in the event of a connectivity issue.

2 hours ago, shadyridr said:

It's only a matter of time before they reach cable prices. I thought it was fairly obvious they were starting off cheap to capture customers. 

They have decades of evidence that people will pay... $80, 100, 150 a month to get their shows. 

At first they worried that Netflix would cut into that for $15 a month. 

Then they realized there's still $65, $85, $135 a month being left on the table. 

They're happy to keep expanding and adding services until they capture every dollar people are willing to spend. 

18 hours ago, dorno said:

Philo. They have a $16 and a $20 package. 

Far and away the best service I've experienced. Think I've tried them all. Haven't experienced a single buffering and has nice DVR/VOD service. 

Obviously if need sports it might be an issue but DTV Now regularly offers free months to former customers if need access for NBA playoffs/NCAA tournament.

Right now I'm spending $18/mo for Philo/Hulu (paid $2 for year of access during promo late last year)/Pluto. Watching video on Youtube is my largest media viewing. Dropped DTV Now after the Viacom news.....appears they've add them back but they've already lost me after found Philo in the meantime. I'll probably add WWE Network and/or ESPN+ for a month here and there

Edited by Craig_MiamiFL

Just cancelled my spectrum cable finally.  Felt good.  Just keeping the internet, netfliz, basic hulu, and amazon prime. 

WHat might be the cheapest and easiest way for local channels?

5 minutes ago, ghostguy123 said:

Just cancelled my spectrum cable finally.  Felt good.  Just keeping the internet, netfliz, basic hulu, and amazon prime. 

Antenna?  If not, then we're in similar boats.

Kanopy and Hoopla are two really nice free services for watching movies.

You have to sign up thru your local library but they offer a nice range of newer and older movies. They both have free Roku apps with a simple interface. Only drawback is you are limited to around 10 movies per month for each service. I guess you can get around that with multiple accounts.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ghostguy123 said:

Antenna is best.  If that doesn't work for you, you can look in to USTVNow.

2 hours ago, JoeSteeler said:

Kanopy and Hoopla are two really nice free services for watching movies.

You have to sign up thru your local library but they offer a nice range of newer and older movies. They both have free Roku apps with a simple interface. Only drawback is you are limited to around 10 movies per month for each service. I guess you can get around that with multiple accounts.

How has the quality been?

1 hour ago, Tick said:

How has the quality been?

If you have Amazon Prime, the IMDB app has free movies and honestly it looked like the same only more. I went to those sites and the only movies I recognized were also on IMDB’s app. I thought it looked interesting until I realized it was the same or less. 

1 hour ago, Tick said:

Antenna is best.  If that doesn't work for you, you can look in to USTVNow.

Any suggestions on a good one to use?

5 minutes ago, ghostguy123 said:

Any suggestions on a good one to use?

It depends on his far you are from the local source feed.  I use this one on 2 different televisions and pick up 20 channels and it works great.

5 minutes ago, Osaurus said:

It depends on his far you are from the local source feed.  I use this one on 2 different televisions and pick up 20 channels and it works great.

I was just looking at some on YouTube.  Clear stream and winegard seem interesting.

Basically I would want the best possible antenna that i dont have to mount on the roof and does not have to be on a window.  

2 minutes ago, ghostguy123 said:

I was just looking at some on YouTube.  Clear stream and winegard seem interesting.

Basically I would want the best possible antenna that i dont have to mount on the roof and does not have to be on a window.  

Both of mine are mounted to the wall behind each TV and they are close to windows, but not on them.

38 minutes ago, Osaurus said:

How far are you from your local source feed?

7 minutes ago, Cowboysfan8 said:

How far are you from your local source feed?

Maybe 12 miles

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Osaurus said:

Maybe 12 miles

I use a Mohu Leaf that lays flat,similar to what Osaurus provided a link to.  At 12 miles, If it comes with an amplifier, you may need to disconnect the amp (just unscrew), as the signal will be too strong and distorted. You may just need to try a couple different ones to see what works best for you.

Edited by Phil Elliott

14 hours ago, Osaurus said:

Both of mine are mounted to the wall behind each TV and they are close to windows, but not on them.

How far are you from the broadcasts?  Assume your walls are already in the general direction they need to be pointed?

14 hours ago, stbugs said:

If you have Amazon Prime, the IMDB app has free movies and honestly it looked like the same only more. I went to those sites and the only movies I recognized were also on IMDB’s app. I thought it looked interesting until I realized it was the same or less. 

What's that now?  I have Amazon Prime, and two fire TV devices.  What's the IMDB app, and does that get me additional content than what comes with Prime anyway?

14 minutes ago, matttyl said:

What's that now?  I have Amazon Prime, and two fire TV devices.  What's the IMDB app, and does that get me additional content than what comes with Prime anyway?

actually called IMDB Freedive. It is ad supported on demand programming free if you have a Prime account. From what I have seen it has different content then Prime.

https://www.imdb.com/freedive/

What Is IMDb Freedive?

Edited by JoeSteeler
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Ned said:

How far are you from the broadcasts?  Assume your walls are already in the general direction they need to be pointed?

12 miles.  Here’s mine.  It’s pretty much what I thought :lol:  Got chopped off a little, but 18 out of 20 are good.

Edited by Osaurus

2 hours ago, Cowboysfan8 said:

According to this website

https://www.fcc.gov/media/engineering/dtvmaps

I have weak or no signal from 6 of the 8 feeds in my area.

I assume I'm screwed

I am 40 miles from towers and I get 60 channels ota.  I use an outside antenna I think it's 20 feet high.  Of course Fl is flat so that helps.  Maybe try an outside antenna?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, rustycolts said:

I am 40 miles from towers and I get 60 channels ota.  I use an outside antenna I think it's 20 feet high.  Of course Fl is flat so that helps.  Maybe try an outside antenna?

Hmm.. That's interesting

Mountainous here though, I may have to look into it more

3 hours ago, matttyl said:

It just appeared. Here’s some info: https://www.google.com/amp/s/screenrant.com/imdb-streaming-service-amazon-fire-tv/amp/

1 hour ago, Cowboysfan8 said:

Hmm.. That's interesting

Mountainous here though, I may have to look into it more

That's the killer.  I'm trying to find the site I used that gave me topographic information.  Basically my issue wasn't distance, but rather the fact that there are mountains between the tower and my house.  Line of site and all that.

Reports of Disney + being released in Nov for 6.99/mo.  They even reported there may be a bundle package that includes Hulu, Disney + and ESPN + (no pricing on that yet).

1 hour ago, matttyl said:

That's the killer.  I'm trying to find the site I used that gave me topographic information.  Basically my issue wasn't distance, but rather the fact that there are mountains between the tower and my house.  Line of site and all that.

Right.

Mountainous and several feeds are 50-60 miles away from me

2 minutes ago, Cowboysfan8 said:

Right.

Mountainous and several feeds are 50-60 miles away from me

Same issue here.  Maybe we're neighbors. 

I actually have this antenna (or that company's prior version of it), but in order to get my "locals" I'd have to have it above my roofline, run coax cables from it to all the TVs in the house, and likely have to get signals boosters and powered splitters and stuff to get the four big networks.  So I'm still with cable at the moment. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, B Maverick said:

Reports of Disney + being released in Nov for 6.99/mo.  They even reported there may be a bundle package that includes Hulu, Disney + and ESPN + (no pricing on that yet).

here is more info

https://www.cnet.com/news/disney-plus-release-date-shows-movies-to-expect-streaming-service-avengers-star-wars/

• Thanks 1

Just got an email to beta test a new hardware box for DirecTV Now. Signed up. Hope I’m selected, looks interesting.