Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Addai's Adidas

We've cut the cable

I've been with DirecTVNow since inception at $35/mo.  They said our price wouldn't go up.  Then they bumped it up $5.  Now they are bumping it another $10 to make it $50/mo.  I chose them to get the locked in price I thought for life, and get away from the bill bloat I was getting from Dish Network.

Strongly considering cancelling DirecTVNow.  

2 minutes ago, Teddy Stickles said:

I've been with DirecTVNow since inception at $35/mo.  They said our price wouldn't go up.  Then they bumped it up $5.  Now they are bumping it another $10 to make it $50/mo.  I chose them to get the locked in price I thought for life, and get away from the bill bloat I was getting from Dish Network.

I was just going to post the same.   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Otis said:

Just got an email to beta test a new hardware box for DirecTV Now. Signed up. Hope I’m selected, looks interesting. 

The addition of hardware and the rate increases are making old fashioned cable/satellite more attractive.

• Like 1

Just hooked up the clearstream thing that cost like 40 bucks and says has a 50 mile range.  Got 6 channels in one spot and 13 on the window on east side of the house. 

I live about 35 miles east of cleveland.  

I better find a spot that gets a lot more than that.  About to try my bedroom in southwest corner of house, window faces south.  It does say that it doesn't matter which direction it faces though

5 hours ago, Teddy Stickles said:

At this point I think I am just holding out for the Disney+ service packaging with ESPN+ and Hulu.  Depending on the price.

• Like 1

I get they’ve jacked up the price a few bucks, but I’m still crushing what I used to spend on cable. 

• Like 1

I think my biggest impediment is the lack of internet choices in my town. If you want internet you’ve gotta have Comcast. So no sweetheart 50/month deals with Fios to really cut costs. Cheapest internet only packages are still going to run you in the 75ish range for decent speed. Tack on another 40-50 for a live streaming service and I’m 25 bucks away from being back to square one on the “call and threaten to cancel” game each year. 

• Like 1

So want to cancel internet and cable and just use my phone.  Just wondering if chromecast or any other device is available to use with your phone to connect to the tv to stream shows?

14 hours ago, Teddy Stickles said:

Was misleading by them. For whatever reason at the time I read the terms and conditions and remember it saying "offer price subject to change" so wasn't shocked at all.

Currently doing one month free trial on DTV Now (return offer that I have no intention of continuing) and Philo. Philo blows it out of the water in terms of quality., seamless navigation and unlimited DVR. Even if both were the same price (Philo is $30-something cheaper), I'd go with Philo. 

• Like 1

I don’t understand people expecting a price for a good or service to never change. That’s now how the world works. Everything becomes more expensive over time. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Otis said:

I don’t understand people expecting a price for a good or service to never change. That’s now how the world works. Everything becomes more expensive over time. 

That's not true but whatever. I think the issue is that these streaming services are basically the same product. The overall customer experience is miles better imo, but it's just a package of channels that are dictated to you with little to no a la carte options. Bill creep is another thing people hated about cable and these services appear to be not much different in that regard. They aren't much of a game changer anymore, just a step in the right direction. It's an interesting time to be alive. The internet feels like it's been around forever but in the grand scheme of things it's brand new. We still have a lot to figure out. 

Would it be impossible for someone to offer a reverse-Philo service? If they could get all of the sports channels together, I'd rather pay 35-40 bucks/month for that instead of $50 for YTTV or whatever. I have zero use for the rest of the channels. Maybe the sports channels are so expensive that once you get them all together you're looking at $50ish anyhow.  

1 hour ago, Otis said:

Not everything gets more expensive. In this case, If DTVN had some decent added functionality it might be accepted, but they are in a competitive environment with other options. It seems the wrong time to be increasing prices, offering less channels and limited “DVR” capability. Maybe it is still acceptable if you get a discount thru AT&T mobile account. At $50, thats over 40% increase in about 9 months from the $35 rate. They can charge what ever they want but at that cost they are now probably the least favorable streaming option and losing subscribers.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Otis said:

Everything becomes more expensive over time.

Right.  Computers, TV's, tablets, basically every technology has become less expensive over time.  Maybe cell phones are the exception but that's simply because people are stupid.

It's kind of ridiculous that Youtube TV unilaterally decided they are going to add certain channels and bump up the price, that is really what rubs me the wrong way right now.  

And to be honest, you would THINK that with the increased competition out there between cable/hulu/youtube, et al, that one of these firms would be able to put the screws to the other and offer discounted bundled services which undercuts the competition and drives subscriber base up.

Everyone up in here reeeaally needs to land themselves a good hobby. Like the guitar. Or stamps. Or fantasy football. Something. :bag:

(Me, too. Thanks for all the info.)

13 hours ago, Trey said:

I think my biggest impediment is the lack of internet choices in my town. If you want internet you’ve gotta have Comcast. So no sweetheart 50/month deals with Fios to really cut costs. Cheapest internet only packages are still going to run you in the 75ish range for decent speed. Tack on another 40-50 for a live streaming service and I’m 25 bucks away from being back to square one on the “call and threaten to cancel” game each year. 

Same here

I only have one internet provider choice in my neck of the woods, too. And, an OTA antenna's not an option due to geography.

It's cheaper for me to get a bundle than it is internet only, so I have: a landline which I don't even have a phone plugged into and have no clue what the number is, a basic TV package with just the networks affiliates and a couple of oddballs like The Weather channel (maybe 10 total channels), and my internet (400 GB cap). To just get internet only, it would cost me about $30 more per month.

Anyone know the solution to this problem. I have googled this and see other people have same issue. I have a tcl Roku tv and the ESPN app which used to work perfectly fine now will not get a clear HD picture. Every other app is fine except ESPN. Has anyone else had this problem and know how to fix it. 

13 hours ago, gocuse3 said:

Anyone know the solution to this problem. I have googled this and see other people have same issue. I have a tcl Roku tv and the ESPN app which used to work perfectly fine now will not get a clear HD picture. Every other app is fine except ESPN. Has anyone else had this problem and know how to fix it. 

havent heard of this. have you tried deleting and reinstalling the app?

I have a roku tv and will see how mine looks

4 hours ago, JoeSteeler said:

havent heard of this. have you tried deleting and reinstalling the app?

I have a roku tv and will see how mine looks

Yes tried multiple times. Only thing I haven’t tried is a master reset of the tv because I don’t want to have to reinstall everything. 

Heres a link to some of the problems others are having some of these are not the same as mine but it’s similar. 

https://www.reddit.com/r/Roku/comments/b4kgvs/espn_app_issues_with_brand_new_roku/

Edited by gocuse3

3 minutes ago, gocuse3 said:

Yes tried multiple times. Only thing I haven’t tried is a master reset of the tv because I don’t want to have to reinstall everything. 

You can try a system reset which doesn't cause you to reinstall IIRC

Just now, JoeSteeler said:

You can try a system reset which doesn't cause you to reinstall IIRC

Yeah I have done that. Just not the complete reset 

Finally joined the cable cutting crew. Excited about it. Have youtube tv at the office, so will just be using that at home.

• Like 3

On 4/17/2019 at 7:07 PM, Trey said:

$25/month is a lot of money for most people.  Plus no strings attached.  Plus the principle of strings and rate hikes and taxes and antiquated technology.

On 3/3/2011 at 12:16 PM, ren hoek said:

Where on earth can you get 8mb/s internet for $20 a month? I pay like $45 after taxes/surcharges for Windstream DSL. Which clocks in at an amazing 1.2down/0.3up.

Big time! 

• Like 1

On 4/17/2019 at 9:07 PM, Trey said:

Same here. Comcast is the only game in town. Downgrading to a comparable internet only package is over $100 with taxes and router rental. Add in a comparable streaming package and I’m saving about $30 a month tops. Not bad but not sure it’s worth it for the downgrade in picture quality and DVR functionality. If I can figure out how to keep my same speed and channel count and save $70-$100 a month it becomes a no brainer.

Hi, Andrew here, CEO of Philo.

I wanted to let you know about an upcoming change to Philo and explain some of the thinking behind it. Starting May 6, we will move to only offering our $20 package to new subscribers. If you're a current subscriber or subscribe before that date, then nothing will change — you'll continue to have the same package and price options you have today.

At Philo, we care deeply about creating the best TV experience possible at an affordable price. Since we launched 18 months ago, most of the other companies in our space have raised their prices, in some cases multiple times. We didn't want to do that. Still, when we looked at all of the costs of operating Philo — which increase over time — consolidating into a single $20 package was the best way for us to maintain the same offering we have today without raising prices for everyone, or having to cut back in places we strive to excel, like our customer support.

Again, nothing is changing for anyone who has already subscribed by May 6 — you will keep the package you have and will continue to be able to switch between our two existing packages. On behalf of the team at Philo, I want to thank you for watching with us.

Sounds like their $16 package is going away.  If anyone was thinking about that package, sounds like you have a couple weeks to get in and get grandfathered in to keeping it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Al Czervik said:

Sounds like their $16 package is going away.  If anyone was thinking about that package, sounds like you have a couple weeks to get in and get grandfathered in to keeping it.

I keep thinking about this route, but the wife likes E! and "needs to have local channels".  Any other options out there?  We use DTNow, but not liking the recent price hike.  Need to find some alternatives that aren't $50+/mth.

Disclaimer - already have IPTV for sports, but the wife doesn't like to use/watch it.  She wants something "easier" to use.

39 minutes ago, Peak said:

I keep thinking about this route, but the wife likes E! and "needs to have local channels".  Any other options out there?  We use DTNow, but not liking the recent price hike.  Need to find some alternatives that aren't $50+/mth.

Disclaimer - already have IPTV for sports, but the wife doesn't like to use/watch it.  She wants something "easier" to use.

sling blue + an OTA?

1 hour ago, JoeSteeler said:

sling blue + an OTA?

We have an OTA, but the signal is weak.  Considered going for an exterior antennae, but not there yet.  I'm using an interior antennae with a booster, but it's hit or miss on reception, which is what drove us (her) to wanting DTN.

I still get by with netflix, prime, and whatever pay cable network of the moment is showing something. (hbo). Plus antenna. 

I used to use a dns unblocker for local sports but just finally decided I don't care about local sports. 

So on average maybe 20/mo.  :shrug:

39 minutes ago, Peak said:

We have an OTA, but the signal is weak.  Considered going for an exterior antennae, but not there yet.  I'm using an interior antennae with a booster, but it's hit or miss on reception, which is what drove us (her) to wanting DTN.

I have this one that I have mounted in my attic and it works great. Can pull in stations from about 40 miles away no problem.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0024R4B5C/ref=sspa_dk_detail_0?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B0024R4B5C&pd_rd_w=Ixuej&pf_rd_p=8a8f3917-7900-4ce8-ad90-adf0d53c0985&pd_rd_wg=2VQS4&pf_rd_r=Z2D8QFVBPPCDX1MB4SVT&pd_rd_r=6a0dd386-65f3-11e9-af2b-df456cd2a423

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, JoeSteeler said:

mountainous area or flat?

On 4/20/2019 at 9:34 PM, gocuse3 said:

The ESPN app finally updated today and my picture is back to HD. 

• Like 1

On 3/13/2019 at 1:40 PM, Craig_MiamiFL said:

Viacom recently purchased PlutoTV. 

Viacom content is now on Pluto (MTV/Nick/Comedy Central/BET)

• Like 2

I got into the beta program from the new set-top box from DirecTV Now.  Got it in last week and have been playing with it.

It’s pretty awesome.  First of all, it was packaged really nicely, in the way that Apple and Google products are packaged these days.  Not the way you’re used to getting stuff from your cable company.  Sleek little device, about the size of the Amazon FireTV (not the FireStick, but the larger one that’s a box).

The guide is much faster and smoother than in the DTVN app.  And there’s a button on the remote for the guide, which is nice.

It also changes channels much more quickly than in the app.

There’s a “previous” button—always annoyed me you couldn’t do that through the app, so useful when you’re switching back and forth between two programs during commercials. 

And the Google voice search functionality works great.  Speak a movie or show and it recognizes well and instantly pops up all the various apps where you can get it streaming etc.  (In one instance it just took me to the movie on demand, because it was in the on demand catalog for one of the DTVN networks; in another instance it took me over to Netflix).

Remote works well.

Overall this is the experience that will replace the TV experience for the older folks afraid to go away from traditional cable.  Big fan.  May have to get some more of these boxes for my other TVs when available.  That said, I’m sure they’ll start charging fees for the box at some point...

3 hours ago, Craig_MiamiFL said:

Viacom content is now on Pluto (MTV/Nick/Comedy Central/BET)

how does this work? Are these channels the same content/schedule as if you had cable? 

3 hours ago, Otis said:

I got into the beta program from the new set-top box from DirecTV Now.  Got it in last week and have been playing with it.

It’s pretty awesome.  First of all, it was packaged really nicely, in the way that Apple and Google products are packaged these days.  Not the way you’re used to getting stuff from your cable company.  Sleek little device, about the size of the Amazon FireTV (not the FireStick, but the larger one that’s a box).

The guide is much faster and smoother than in the DTVN app.  And there’s a button on the remote for the guide, which is nice.

It also changes channels much more quickly than in the app.

There’s a “previous” button—always annoyed me you couldn’t do that through the app, so useful when you’re switching back and forth between two programs during commercials. 

And the Google voice search functionality works great.  Speak a movie or show and it recognizes well and instantly pops up all the various apps where you can get it streaming etc.  (In one instance it just took me to the movie on demand, because it was in the on demand catalog for one of the DTVN networks; in another instance it took me over to Netflix).

Remote works well.

Overall this is the experience that will replace the TV experience for the older folks afraid to go away from traditional cable.  Big fan.  May have to get some more of these boxes for my other TVs when available.  That said, I’m sure they’ll start charging fees for the box at some point...

this basically sounds like the current comcast boxes :unsure:

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, JoeSteeler said:

how does this work? Are these channels the same content/schedule as if you had cable? 

On Pluto:  (free)

The shows are older shows (Chapelle Show, etc...). It's actually a great option that's currently free.

On Philo ($16/mo........Believe for NEW customers starting today raised to $20/mo.....still very much worth it IMO. Best provider I've used):

Live content (same as cable)

I typically use Philo+Pluto+Youtube vids and it's more than enough TV. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, belljr said:

It does.  I'll tell you, that box alone has kept me with them (well, that and their new cell phone plans which save me ~$70 a month).  It has netflix built it, so no additional box needed - pretty snappy interface, and a "back button" that has multiple previous channels. 

• Like 1

I'm moving and I was all set to cut the cable but Fios offered me a deal I couldn't refuse. $163/mo for their Triple Play which includes 1 GIG internet, 4 of the new Fios TV One boxes, and all the channels I have now.

Sick of DTVN's slow guide and channels hanging (it's getting worse).  I bought an internal antenna and fire tv recast to get all the OTA channels.  Took about 45mins of moving the antenna around, but finally got it to pull down 34 channels in crystal clear HD.  Of all places, it's mounted on drywall, not a window.  Seems like direction is more of a factor than anything else.  Moving from NNE to NE cleaned it all up.

Going to try Sling Orange/Blue and see how it goes.

On 5/13/2019 at 10:53 AM, shadyridr said:

I'm moving and I was all set to cut the cable but Fios offered me a deal I couldn't refuse. $163/mo for their Triple Play which includes 1 GIG internet, 4 of the new Fios TV One boxes, and all the channels I have now.

How long is that price locked in for? 

Just now, Osaurus said:

How long is that price locked in for? 

3 yrs

Just now, shadyridr said:

3 yrs

Keep an eye on it.  Sounds too good to be true from Frontier.

On 5/20/2019 at 10:03 AM, Ned said:

Sick of DTVN's slow guide and channels hanging (it's getting worse).  I bought an internal antenna and fire tv recast to get all the OTA channels.  Took about 45mins of moving the antenna around, but finally got it to pull down 34 channels in crystal clear HD.  Of all places, it's mounted on drywall, not a window.  Seems like direction is more of a factor than anything else.  Moving from NNE to NE cleaned it all up.

Going to try Sling Orange/Blue and see how it goes.

DTVN is awful. I was a big fan a year ago.  Increases prices several times, reduce channels and service is consistently worse. Picking something else when we move into new home next month.

Edited by Phil Elliott

On 5/6/2019 at 3:29 PM, matttyl said:
On 5/6/2019 at 2:43 PM, belljr said:

It does.  I'll tell you, that box alone has kept me with them (well, that and their new cell phone plans which save me ~$70 a month).  It has netflix built it, so no additional box needed - pretty snappy interface, and a "back button" that has multiple previous channels. 

So the xfinity stuff is legit?  I have their internet and I am sick of DTv...never thought I'd say that but ATT screwed that up big time.  I can get 150Mbs down and 150 channels for $90 a month....right now I am $90 a month for 200Mbs with them.  This feels like a no brainer and too good to be true.

On 5/29/2019 at 9:35 PM, The Commish said:

So the xfinity stuff is legit?  I have their internet and I am sick of DTv...never thought I'd say that but ATT screwed that up big time.  I can get 150Mbs down and 150 channels for $90 a month....right now I am $90 a month for 200Mbs with them.  This feels like a no brainer and too good to be true.

Yeah, overall I've been pretty happy with both comcast cable with their X1 box......but I've actually been very happy with their new cell service.  That really saved me some money, and in fact thus far has saved me money as when I moved from Verizon to them, they had a $100 per line gift card deal - so I just got a $200 gift card in the mail, but my cell phone bills these last few months have all been $30-40.

54 minutes ago, matttyl said:

Yeah, overall I've been pretty happy with both comcast cable with their X1 box......but I've actually been very happy with their new cell service.  That really saved me some money, and in fact thus far has saved me money as when I moved from Verizon to them, they had a $100 per line gift card deal - so I just got a $200 gift card in the mail, but my cell phone bills these last few months have all been $30-40.

:thumbup:  Ordered the boxes yesterday.  I go from $250+ between sat and internet down to $90 :hifive: 

• Like 1