What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

We've cut the cable (1 Viewer)

I still get by with netflix, prime, and whatever pay cable network of the moment is showing something. (hbo). Plus antenna. 

I used to use a dns unblocker for local sports but just finally decided I don't care about local sports. 

So on average maybe 20/mo.  :shrug:

We have an OTA, but the signal is weak.  Considered going for an exterior antennae, but not there yet.  I'm using an interior antennae with a booster, but it's hit or miss on reception, which is what drove us (her) to wanting DTN.
I have this one that I have mounted in my attic and it works great. Can pull in stations from about 40 miles away no problem.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0024R4B5C/ref=sspa_dk_detail_0?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B0024R4B5C&pd_rd_w=Ixuej&pf_rd_p=8a8f3917-7900-4ce8-ad90-adf0d53c0985&pd_rd_wg=2VQS4&pf_rd_r=Z2D8QFVBPPCDX1MB4SVT&pd_rd_r=6a0dd386-65f3-11e9-af2b-df456cd2a423

Anyone know the solution to this problem. I have googled this and see other people have same issue. I have a tcl Roku tv and the ESPN app which used to work perfectly fine now will not get a clear HD picture. Every other app is fine except ESPN. Has anyone else had this problem and know how to fix it. 
The ESPN app finally updated today and my picture is back to HD. 

I got into the beta program from the new set-top box from DirecTV Now.  Got it in last week and have been playing with it.

It’s pretty awesome.  First of all, it was packaged really nicely, in the way that Apple and Google products are packaged these days.  Not the way you’re used to getting stuff from your cable company.  Sleek little device, about the size of the Amazon FireTV (not the FireStick, but the larger one that’s a box).

The guide is much faster and smoother than in the DTVN app.  And there’s a button on the remote for the guide, which is nice.

It also changes channels much more quickly than in the app.

There’s a “previous” button—always annoyed me you couldn’t do that through the app, so useful when you’re switching back and forth between two programs during commercials. 

And the Google voice search functionality works great.  Speak a movie or show and it recognizes well and instantly pops up all the various apps where you can get it streaming etc.  (In one instance it just took me to the movie on demand, because it was in the on demand catalog for one of the DTVN networks; in another instance it took me over to Netflix).

Remote works well.

Overall this is the experience that will replace the TV experience for the older folks afraid to go away from traditional cable.  Big fan.  May have to get some more of these boxes for my other TVs when available.  That said, I’m sure they’ll start charging fees for the box at some point...

I got into the beta program from the new set-top box from DirecTV Now.  Got it in last week and have been playing with it.

It’s pretty awesome.  First of all, it was packaged really nicely, in the way that Apple and Google products are packaged these days.  Not the way you’re used to getting stuff from your cable company.  Sleek little device, about the size of the Amazon FireTV (not the FireStick, but the larger one that’s a box).

The guide is much faster and smoother than in the DTVN app.  And there’s a button on the remote for the guide, which is nice.

It also changes channels much more quickly than in the app.

There’s a “previous” button—always annoyed me you couldn’t do that through the app, so useful when you’re switching back and forth between two programs during commercials. 

And the Google voice search functionality works great.  Speak a movie or show and it recognizes well and instantly pops up all the various apps where you can get it streaming etc.  (In one instance it just took me to the movie on demand, because it was in the on demand catalog for one of the DTVN networks; in another instance it took me over to Netflix).

Remote works well.

Overall this is the experience that will replace the TV experience for the older folks afraid to go away from traditional cable.  Big fan.  May have to get some more of these boxes for my other TVs when available.  That said, I’m sure they’ll start charging fees for the box at some point...
this basically sounds like the current comcast boxes :unsure:

how does this work? Are these channels the same content/schedule as if you had cable? 
On Pluto:  (free)

The shows are older shows (Chapelle Show, etc...). It's actually a great option that's currently free.

On Philo ($16/mo........Believe for NEW customers starting today raised to $20/mo.....still very much worth it IMO. Best provider I've used):

Live content (same as cable)

I typically use Philo+Pluto+Youtube vids and it's more than enough TV. 

It does.  I'll tell you, that box alone has kept me with them (well, that and their new cell phone plans which save me ~$70 a month).  It has netflix built it, so no additional box needed - pretty snappy interface, and a "back button" that has multiple previous channels. 

I'm moving and I was all set to cut the cable but Fios offered me a deal I couldn't refuse. $163/mo for their Triple Play which includes 1 GIG internet, 4 of the new Fios TV One boxes, and all the channels I have now.

Sick of DTVN's slow guide and channels hanging (it's getting worse).  I bought an internal antenna and fire tv recast to get all the OTA channels.  Took about 45mins of moving the antenna around, but finally got it to pull down 34 channels in crystal clear HD.  Of all places, it's mounted on drywall, not a window.  Seems like direction is more of a factor than anything else.  Moving from NNE to NE cleaned it all up.

Going to try Sling Orange/Blue and see how it goes.

I'm moving and I was all set to cut the cable but Fios offered me a deal I couldn't refuse. $163/mo for their Triple Play which includes 1 GIG internet, 4 of the new Fios TV One boxes, and all the channels I have now.
How long is that price locked in for? 

Sick of DTVN's slow guide and channels hanging (it's getting worse).  I bought an internal antenna and fire tv recast to get all the OTA channels.  Took about 45mins of moving the antenna around, but finally got it to pull down 34 channels in crystal clear HD.  Of all places, it's mounted on drywall, not a window.  Seems like direction is more of a factor than anything else.  Moving from NNE to NE cleaned it all up.

DTVN is awful. I was a big fan a year ago.  Increases prices several times, reduce channels and service is consistently worse. Picking something else when we move into new home next month.

Last edited by a moderator:
It does.  I'll tell you, that box alone has kept me with them (well, that and their new cell phone plans which save me ~$70 a month).  It has netflix built it, so no additional box needed - pretty snappy interface, and a "back button" that has multiple previous channels. 
So the xfinity stuff is legit?  I have their internet and I am sick of DTv...never thought I'd say that but ATT screwed that up big time.  I can get 150Mbs down and 150 channels for $90 a month....right now I am $90 a month for 200Mbs with them.  This feels like a no brainer and too good to be true.

So the xfinity stuff is legit?  I have their internet and I am sick of DTv...never thought I'd say that but ATT screwed that up big time.  I can get 150Mbs down and 150 channels for $90 a month....right now I am $90 a month for 200Mbs with them.  This feels like a no brainer and too good to be true.
Yeah, overall I've been pretty happy with both comcast cable with their X1 box......but I've actually been very happy with their new cell service.  That really saved me some money, and in fact thus far has saved me money as when I moved from Verizon to them, they had a $100 per line gift card deal - so I just got a $200 gift card in the mail, but my cell phone bills these last few months have all been $30-40.

Yeah, overall I've been pretty happy with both comcast cable with their X1 box......but I've actually been very happy with their new cell service.  That really saved me some money, and in fact thus far has saved me money as when I moved from Verizon to them, they had a $100 per line gift card deal - so I just got a $200 gift card in the mail, but my cell phone bills these last few months have all been $30-40.
:thumbup:   Ordered the boxes yesterday.  I go from $250+ between sat and internet down to $90 :hifive:  

Which Roku device do I need?

Basically all I want to do is stream the Xfinity Stream App: Which is a cool thing, BTW. For $40/month I get internet and can stream my local channels which means no more dangling antennas.

Currently sharing youtube TV with someone, splitting equally.  

Was thinking of adding a 3rd person since 3 devices can be used simultaneously, and there is no way we have more than one device watching youtube TV at a time, nor does the person we share with.   I suppose that would make it free for us.  

Currently sharing youtube TV with someone, splitting equally.  

Was thinking of adding a 3rd person since 3 devices can be used simultaneously, and there is no way we have more than one device watching youtube TV at a time, nor does the person we share with.   I suppose that would make it free for us.  
We do this with Netflix.  Three families share an account and each one takes turns paying for it for a year.  It's worked out well for us over the last 4 years.  We do the same with a Hulu account.

Moving on from DTVN back to Spectrum. TV (175 chan), internet (stay at 400mb) and phone w intl calling (cell signal weak). One cable box for dvr. AppleTV app, unlimited streams, remote viewing. 5.1 sound if on in the source program. Includes HBO/Showtime/NFL network&red zone. $121 for 3 years-no contract for triple-play “silver”. DTVN crept up to $165 with increases during last year (we have always had Spectrum internet/phone).

Last edited by a moderator:
Two things I learned last night...

Tablo works much better through a new Roku Stick+ than through a first gen Fire Stick.

Xfinity's Beta Streaming App (which had been around for about two years - how is that still "beta"?) does not do surround sound but rather only stereo. It's twenty freaking nineteen!!!

Basically all I want to do is stream the Xfinity Stream App: Which is a cool thing, BTW. For $40/month I get internet and can stream my local channels which means no more dangling antennas.
Do you need a cable package, or is that included with the internet?

Do you need a cable package, or is that included with the internet?
No cable required. It's $10/month above my internet bill.

They were going to bump my internet only service by 50%. I got to the loyalty department who set me up with internet plus the TV streaming for the same price as my previous internet only service. So now I pay $40 for both. Not a bad deal.

DTVN is awful. I was a big fan a year ago.  Increases prices several times, reduce channels and service is consistently worse. Picking something else when we move into new home next month.
So far Sling has been much more reliable than DTVN.  

Anyone know anything about antennas & signal issues?

I have an antenna in the attic that picks up almost everything just fine. All the stations in my area are broadcast from a single transmitter 25 miles away, and for the most part, everything I get off that is OK.

However, out of the 12+ channels from that transmitter, I get bad signals on two of them. I used the signal strength meter on my DVR, on every other channel the signal comes in at 99 or 100 consistently. On the two bad ones, though, it's 65-75 all the time.

Would an amplifier help? Or would that just overload the good channels? Anything I should look at to get better signal on those two particular frequencies?
In my limited experience an amplifier will work and work well. I have a metal roof and would have trouble with some channels but started using an amplifier and most of my channels cleared right up. I'm within 20 miles of all of my local stations. 

Can you expand on this?
Just random stuff:

1. A game or show will just pause for a few seconds from time to time. It's not my internet connection - I've checked it.

2. Shows will just disappear. I was trying to watch a soccer game last night - it was there, and then had a HULU error. And then the game was just gone off the menu.

3. Was trying to watch a Royals game, and the game went long over its normal time. So HULU switched it to some Poker thing that was scheduled at that time slot. I read up and apparently this is a problem. People trying to watch this years Super Bowl were cut off from the end of the game because it ran long.

Just random stuff:

1. A game or show will just pause for a few seconds from time to time. It's not my internet connection - I've checked it.

2. Shows will just disappear. I was trying to watch a soccer game last night - it was there, and then had a HULU error. And then the game was just gone off the menu.

3. Was trying to watch a Royals game, and the game went long over its normal time. So HULU switched it to some Poker thing that was scheduled at that time slot. I read up and apparently this is a problem. People trying to watch this years Super Bowl were cut off from the end of the game because it ran long.
Hulu had some issues yesterday, but I've had it since it came out and have really enjoyed it.  I really can't think of anything.  In the past year I've figured out you can go to the ESPN app and show Hulu as your provider and pick up the ESPN alternate channels that aren't on the Hulu menu.  Mainly do this for SEC baseball.  But it works for Disney apps and stuff like that so the kids can access those apps directly.  

I've never run into any of these problems.  Early on there were issues, but its been great the past year or 2.  

I've been having issues lately with my VUE freezing periodically.  Seems to happen mostly at night.  When it happens, a signal bars icon comes up (like you would see on your cell phone) and usually it shows less than full bars.

I might try buying longer Ethernet cable and moving the wireless router from the office in the front of the house to the family room in the back of the house.  Or, I was also thinking about getting the fancy Roku Ultra where I can plug the Ethernet cable directly into the box.

BTW, WOW Cable Internet sucks.  I put a lot of blame on them as their technology is crap.  I have 200mbs with them which should be enough.

Moving on from DTVN back to Spectrum. TV (175 chan), internet (stay at 400mb) and phone w intl calling (cell signal weak). One cable box for dvr. AppleTV app, unlimited streams, remote viewing. 5.1 sound if on in the source program. Includes HBO/Showtime/NFL network&red zone. $121 for 3 years-no contract for triple-play “silver”. DTVN crept up to $165 with increases during last year (we have always had Spectrum internet/phone).
How long were you away from Spectrum before they would let you get a new customer deal?

My Spectrum bill is around $180 now but I've been with them for 5 years and only new customers get the sweet deals.

How long were you away from Spectrum before they would let you get a new customer deal?

My Spectrum bill is around $180 now but I've been with them for 5 years and only new customers get the sweet deals.
How long do you need to not be a spectrum customer before they consider you a new customer again (still have the internet through them, not cable)

Did you get an answer to this?  I didn't see one, but I might have missed it.  I want to know the same thing.  My last post in here was a month ago and I STILL don't have streaming working.  First they sent me a wired box and a wireless box....wired box does me no good.  I don't have access in one room and I am not climbing around rewiring crap anymore.  I sent them back.  Then they sent me two wired boxes.  Sent them back.  I went to the xfinity store (because EVERY shipment has been sent to the wrong address because they can't figure out how to print the correct shipping label and it confuses the #### out of UPS.  I got the two wireless boxes.  Get them home, the remotes won't connect with the boxes...stuck in set up mode and I can't get through set up mode without the remotes working.  Call support, they tell me my modem doesn't work with their boxes (completely avoiding the remote setup issue).  Tell me they will send me a new modem/router combo free for a year for all the trouble.  Wonderful, it was supposed to arrive to day.  Says it's been delivered.  It hasn't.  Pretty confident they printed another ###### up label and it's sitting on the dude's porch all the other stuff was.  I feel bad for the guy, but he has a sense of humor.  He writes on the boxes little messages to me apologizing as if it's his fault.

This has been an absolute trainwreck, so I am thinking of just shipping all their crap back to them, using my current modem/router and streaming via Roku across the app.  I need to know which Roku to get though.  This had gotten completely out of hand.

Pro tip: If you suddenly lost nickjr from DTVN recently (as I did, much to the chagrin of my five year old who did not take it well), live chat them and they’ll give it back to you for no added cost. 

Kept their internet and phone. Dropped Spectrum for DTVN about a year ago. Since we moved to a new home just last month (just a couple miles away) but had ATT as a competitor they gave me new promotion.   When at the old home, was getting promo’s in mail for their streaming service “Spectrum TV” for $44, which is still better than DTVN.

Did you get an answer to this?  I didn't see one, but I might have missed it.  I want to know the same thing.  My last post in here was a month ago and I STILL don't have streaming working.  First they sent me a wired box and a wireless box....wired box does me no good.  I don't have access in one room and I am not climbing around rewiring crap anymore.  I sent them back.  Then they sent me two wired boxes.  Sent them back.  I went to the xfinity store (because EVERY shipment has been sent to the wrong address because they can't figure out how to print the correct shipping label and it confuses the #### out of UPS.  I got the two wireless boxes.  Get them home, the remotes won't connect with the boxes...stuck in set up mode and I can't get through set up mode without the remotes working.  Call support, they tell me my modem doesn't work with their boxes (completely avoiding the remote setup issue).  Tell me they will send me a new modem/router combo free for a year for all the trouble.  Wonderful, it was supposed to arrive to day.  Says it's been delivered.  It hasn't.  Pretty confident they printed another ###### up label and it's sitting on the dude's porch all the other stuff was.  I feel bad for the guy, but he has a sense of humor.  He writes on the boxes little messages to me apologizing as if it's his fault.

This has been an absolute trainwreck, so I am thinking of just shipping all their crap back to them, using my current modem/router and streaming via Roku across the app.  I need to know which Roku to get though.  This had gotten completely out of hand.
Xfinity stream app. Have a 65" TCL 6 Series in my living room and a 49" TCL 5 series in my bedroom. Use the X1 box in the living room and Xfinity stream on the bedroom TV to avoid the extra box fee. It's honestly a great app, guide is solid and for streaming the picture looks great. Install it on your PC via the Roku website if you're having a hard time finding it on the TV based Roku store.

Xfinity stream app. Have a 65" TCL 6 Series in my living room and a 49" TCL 5 series in my bedroom. Use the X1 box in the living room and Xfinity stream on the bedroom TV to avoid the extra box fee. It's honestly a great app, guide is solid and for streaming the picture looks great. Install it on your PC via the Roku website if you're having a hard time finding it on the TV based Roku store.
Does it matter which roku box or no?

The Commish said:
Does it matter which roku box or no?
I do not believe that the Roku device type should matter. If you can install apps from the Roku store on your device, you should be good to go. Not an Xfinity fan boy by any means, but they did a good job on the Stream app for the Roku to be used on additional outlets in your house, or the main one whichever works for your situation really.

I do not believe that the Roku device type should matter. If you can install apps from the Roku store on your device, you should be good to go. Not an Xfinity fan boy by any means, but they did a good job on the Stream app for the Roku to be used on additional outlets in your house, or the main one whichever works for your situation really.
It's funny that this just popped up.  I just got off a three hour phone call with xfinity.  I was sent to 8 different people.  For whatever reason the wireless TV boxes will NOT connect to the modem/router.  It's all their equipment.  Technician is coming out on Friday. :kicksrock:   

I feel like the Roku is absolutely the way to go, but I am invested now damn it :angry:

@The Commish Sorry, I meant to get back to your question but forgot.

I ended up just buying a Roku Stick+. I have to say, it sure does seem to do a better job of streaming everything than the couple year old Roku3 I have.

As far as the Xfinity Streaming TV service goes...I ended up canceling it. Not necessarily because the service was bad but because they weren't truthful about the cost.

Guy1 told me that it'd be $40/month including taxes & fees, which is what I signed up for. But when my bill came it was closer to $60 again because of...You guessed it...taxes and fees. So working with Guy2, he couldn't get me back to $40/month but could get me internet only for $30. So rather than waste my life talking to Xfinity customer service I just went with that.

So now I'm back to using the Tablo - which actually is working very well with the new Roku Stick+.

It's funny that this just popped up.  I just got off a three hour phone call with xfinity.  I was sent to 8 different people.  For whatever reason the wireless TV boxes will NOT connect to the modem/router.  It's all their equipment.  Technician is coming out on Friday. :kicksrock:   

I feel like the Roku is absolutely the way to go, but I am invested now damn it :angry:
I have Comcast too.  Just  for internet  and yes a land line.  I didn't  have any problems with connection to their modems  I didn't opt for their streaming service though.  I went  with  Youtube live TV for streaming service get all the local channels  also put up outside antenna which should work for you in Deltona because it works for me in Eustis I think you are a little closer to the broadcast antennas  than I am.  I use a firestick instead of Roku  so I can download a few extra apps such  as  Cinema TV  which allows me to watch just about anything I want from current movies to old TV shows.

I have Comcast too.  Just  for internet  and yes a land line.  I didn't  have any problems with connection to their modems  I didn't opt for their streaming service though.  I went  with  Youtube live TV for streaming service get all the local channels  also put up outside antenna which should work for you in Deltona because it works for me in Eustis I think you are a little closer to the broadcast antennas  than I am.  I use a firestick instead of Roku  so I can download a few extra apps such  as  Cinema TV  which allows me to watch just about anything I want from current movies to old TV shows.
Yeah...an antenna would work, but the logistics of getting the wiring run to the room where my one TV is would be a nightmare and I don't want to spend time in the attic if I can avoid it.  I was JUST internet with comcast until a month ago.  To date, I still don't have my streaming working.  The guy is supposed to come tomorrow, so we'll see what happens.  I'm about ready just to cancel it all....their modem and wireless cable boxes and go Roku while completely revamping my home networking.  It's cost me a few hundred bucks but then I wouldn't have to worry about it again.

You guessed it...taxes and fees.
Yeah, that was crap when I first got on.  I made them adjust it before I agreed to sign up for the service.  It took some time, but they got it to $110 a month for internet/streaming using their modem and two wireless TV boxes....but the TV boxes have yet to successfully connect to the cable modem.

Yeah...an antenna would work, but the logistics of getting the wiring run to the room where my one TV is would be a nightmare and I don't want to spend time in the attic if I can avoid it.  I was JUST internet with comcast until a month ago.  To date, I still don't have my streaming working.  The guy is supposed to come tomorrow, so we'll see what happens.  I'm about ready just to cancel it all....their modem and wireless cable boxes and go Roku while completely revamping my home networking.  It's cost me a few hundred bucks but then I wouldn't have to worry about it again.

Yeah, that was crap when I first got on.  I made them adjust it before I agreed to sign up for the service.  It took some time, but they got it to $110 a month for internet/streaming using their modem and two wireless TV boxes....but the TV boxes have yet to successfully connect to the cable modem.
I can give you the name of the guy who installed my antenna.  He did all the crawling  in the attic  and unsavory stuff  (such as actual work}.  I don't think he charged over two hundred  and he made sure that  I was all hooked up to internet also.  He really helped out  since I am low tech and a slow adapter to technology.

I can give you the name of the guy who installed my antenna.  He did all the crawling  in the attic  and unsavory stuff  (such as actual work}.  I don't think he charged over two hundred  and he made sure that  I was all hooked up to internet also.  He really helped out  since I am low tech and a slow adapter to technology.
Might take you up on that if the appt tomorrow goes sideways.  I can't remember the last time I had to work this hard to give my money to people.

Anyone try Playstation Vue? I have Directtv Now nut have been thinking of trying something else. It sounded like Playstation might be a better option for sports.

Users who are viewing this thread