Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Addai's Adidas

We've cut the cable

3 minutes ago, Bull Dozier said:

Yes, have a receiver.  Haven't figured out a realistic way to get the signal from the receiver to the projector.

Due to the length the cable would need to be?  Could you just move the receiver during games and then move it back Sunday evening?

10 minutes ago, stbugs said:

It makes no sense. Is the Smart TV the same speed wise? Maybe it’s a bad Firestick. I’ve never had a picture quality issue, but I have to assume that there are some bad ones out there. 

The TV and firestick are both very slow - single digits.  I'm going to spend some more time on it this evening and will check back in if I learn something.  

Thanks

19 minutes ago, matttyl said:

Due to the length the cable would need to be?  Could you just move the receiver during games and then move it back Sunday evening?

Because I'm setting my projector up in my backyard, and don't want to have to run the cable through an open door or window, or have to drill a hole in a wall so I can watch a game a couple of times a year outside.

I'm also very unhandy, so if there is an obviously easy way to do it, it might not be so obvious to me.

1 minute ago, Bull Dozier said:

Because I'm setting my projector up in my backyard, and don't want to have to run the cable through an open door or window, or have to drill a hole in a wall so I can watch a game a couple of times a year outside.

I'm also very unhandy, so if there is an obviously easy way to do it, it might not be so obvious to me.

I'm not familiar with direct tv streaming capabilities.  That said, there are ways you can stream games to a firestick or chromecast assuming the projector has an HDMI input.

14 minutes ago, Bull Dozier said:

you can try wirless hdmi... ymmv

https://www.amazon.com/Diamond-Multimedia-Wireless-Extender-Transmitter/dp/B07L9723ZF/ref=asc_df_B07L9723ZF/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=242074892521&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=7012478154126427891&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9007525&hvtargid=pla-631510498537&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Orei-Wireless-Extender-Transmitter-Receiver/dp/B07KGLBR4M/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=wireless+hdmi&qid=1563824664&s=electronics&sr=1-3

Edited by belljr

1 hour ago, matttyl said:

I'm not familiar with direct tv streaming capabilities.  That said, there are ways you can stream games to a firestick or chromecast assuming the projector has an HDMI input.

Projector does have HDMI input.  Will be trying the chromecast as previously suggested (from my phone).

59 minutes ago, belljr said:

Well if Chromecast doesn't work, I guess I can look more into this.  The price comparison isn't in the same neighborhood though (would have to buy the longer range deal).

8 hours ago, [icon] said:

:whoosh:

So it’s acceptable that some Serbian kid In his mothers basement set up a more reliable distribution/broadcast network then one of the largest IPTV corporations in America? 

8 hours ago, [icon] said:

Yep!  I’m guessing that Hulu has dozens of network engineers on staff 24/7, yet little Leo Antonovich is kicking their asses. :lol: 

Yep. I've had times where I was trying to stream ESPN, NFL Network, BIG 10 Network for a football game and couldn't get it to work or had a poor picture through legit streaming services. I switched to my backup option and get crystal clear picture. It's really sad that the better option costs less as well. 

Just an FYI for all NFL GamePass International users that you need to download and login to their new app by Aug 1st I believe.

9 hours ago, Otis said:

Try Sling. I actually really liked it.  

:goodposting:

Sling has been a much better experience for us vs DTVN. 

Switched from Sling to DTVN. happy with both, pricing better on DTVN. 

Re above and CBS, no it’s not a regional thing. Big dispute and I believe CBS is dropped from all the streaming services or something like that. Sure it’ll be resolved soon. 

17 hours ago, Bull Dozier said:

Projector does have HDMI input.  Will be trying the chromecast as previously suggested (from my phone).

Well if Chromecast doesn't work, I guess I can look more into this.  The price comparison isn't in the same neighborhood though (would have to buy the longer range deal).

Can you just buy another TV and then stream it that way?

My wife bought me a Vizio 42" smart TV for Christmas for less than $200. Already has chromecast on it so I just stream from my ipad or iphone. Works great, and I use it on the patio a couple of days a week. Nice and light and easy to carry in and out.

9 minutes ago, ChiefD said:

Can you just buy another TV and then stream it that way?

My wife bought me a Vizio 42" smart TV for Christmas for less than $200. Already has chromecast on it so I just stream from my ipad or iphone. Works great, and I use it on the patio a couple of days a week. Nice and light and easy to carry in and out.

I already have the screen and projector, so I'm looking for a solution for that.  $35 for a chromecast seems to be the way to go.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, dorno said:

What's your definition of soon? It's been going on for over 2 weeks now.

KDKA (Pittsburgh CBS affiliate) has said "It could be a long time".

16 hours ago, Otis said:

Switched from Sling to DTVN. happy with both, pricing better on DTVN. 

Re above and CBS, no it’s not a regional thing. Big dispute and I believe CBS is dropped from all the streaming services or something like that. Sure it’ll be resolved soon. 

I'm not sure but I think what I was looking at is the dispute is between AT&T and CBS so I don't think it is all streaming devices? I'm not certain though.

I know it went off the air on our DTVN a couple days ago but it is there on our newly activated PlaystationVue account.

I'm really surprised that the IPTV services are not getting more mention on here.  I've had Nitro for 18 months now with nary a problem.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, FairWarning said:

I'm really surprised that the IPTV services are not getting more mention on here.  I've had Nitro for 18 months now with nary a problem.

I'm always open at looking at options but streaming service options are so affordable and good that don't have to shop around. 

Philo has been awesome for me. On demand/DVR options and only $16/mo. Not a single hiccup since I've started. Quality for me as far exceeded Sling/DTV Now/Vue. Pluto offers a ton of past content for free as well. Along with free YouTube/live streams. 

I use to be a big user of Kodi but havent once loaded it in probably 2 years at this point. There's just so many affordable quality options out there. I tell my family members all the time that they're wasting their money paying $100+/mo for cable while spending maybe a handful of hours/week watching TV.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, dorno said:

What's your definition of soon? It's been going on for over 2 weeks now.

I don’t watch the price is right or Dr. Phil or CSI: Whatever, so I haven’t really noticed. 

18 hours ago, Warhogs said:

I'm not sure but I think what I was looking at is the dispute is between AT&T and CBS so I don't think it is all streaming devices? I'm not certain though.

That may be right. Honestly I don’t have any reason to watch CBS so I didn’t look at it very closely. 

In Austin,  ATT and Directv not carrying KXAN, which is the local NBC station. We switched to Spectrum TV streaming last month when we moved into new home so we just see the obnoxious banner running across the bottom of KXAN advising to call ATT to complain.   

Do any of the streaming services like Roku offer HGTV programs?  If I can get a confirm on which one does, it'll go a long way toward convincing my wife to drop DirecTv.

Also, if a football game is going over one of the big 3 networks, will something like Roku pick that up?  As much as I'd miss my Sunday ticket, I'd still want to watch something on Sunday.

2 minutes ago, Statorama said:

Do any of the streaming services like Roku offer HGTV programs?  If I can get a confirm on which one does, it'll go a long way toward convincing my wife to drop DirecTv.

Also, if a football game is going over one of the big 3 networks, will something like Roku pick that up?  As much as I'd miss my Sunday ticket, I'd still want to watch something on Sunday.

HULU Live has HGTV. And all the major sports networks for NFL. They do not have NFL Network though.

10 minutes ago, Statorama said:

Roku is just a device. You'd need to add one of the streaming services like ChiefD mentioned - Hulu Live, Sling, YoutubeTV, etc....

Some of these services offer your local network affiliates. I live too far away and in a funky geography to pick them up with an antenna, but have you looked into that option?

1 hour ago, Uruk-Hai said:

Roku is just a device. You'd need to add one of the streaming services like ChiefD mentioned - Hulu Live, Sling, YoutubeTV, etc....

Some of these services offer your local network affiliates. I live too far away and in a funky geography to pick them up with an antenna, but have you looked into that option?

We're in the infancy of our 'cut the cable' journey.  Our initial check of Roku said it had a lot of free material, and I was wondering if HGTV was part of that "free" material.  Sounds like a no.  From a streaming perspective, if we can get whatever is on HGTV, CBS (Survivor/NFL), FOX (NFL), and PBS (This Old House) we'd be golden.  So I'll look into Hulu Live as an option.  Thanks @Uruk-Hai and @ChiefD

For those that have Hulu Live, are the shows that come with basic Hulu included (thinking Handmaids Tale specifically)

4 minutes ago, Statorama said:

For those that have Hulu Live, are the shows that come with basic Hulu included (thinking Handmaids Tale specifically)

Yes.

• Like 1

Love just having the antenna and innerweb service. So liberating. Going on 8 months now.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Statorama said:

We're in the infancy of our 'cut the cable' journey.  Our initial check of Roku said it had a lot of free material, and I was wondering if HGTV was part of that "free" material.  Sounds like a no.  From a streaming perspective, if we can get whatever is on HGTV, CBS (Survivor/NFL), FOX (NFL), and PBS (This Old House) we'd be golden.  So I'll look into Hulu Live as an option.  Thanks @Uruk-Hai and @ChiefD

Yeah, there's a ton of free apps you can (search for and) add to a Roku device if they're not already preloaded when you get it. I have an older model (a 3, I think) and it came with maybe a dozen apps already on it (I know Prime & Netflix were there). I've since added dozens of apps.

I used to use Sling as my "cable" replacement, but switched over to Hulu Live for no other reason than "why not?". I like the choice more and the interface a little less, but not enough to change. I know I can get some of my local network channels, but don't recall which ones (I don't think it's all 4 basic networks yet) - I also have a basic cable package to cover those because I live in the sticks. My provider just lifted the monthly data cap, which is when I was planning on getting rid of the basic cable but I have it in a bundle and it's cheaper this way than only having internet :loco:

If I could get my locals OTA, I would do that - picture's better and no streaming/cable issues. Plus, it's free. 

2 hours ago, Statorama said:

YouTubeTV has HGTV and all of the local channels too.

OK, just got an email from TiVo offering a VOX (4K) and transfer my existing lifetime service. Tempting...

I've had TiVo since 2001, when it was standard-def, with lifetime service. In 2008, upgraded to one of the HD models and they transferred my existing lifetime service. Now I could get a 4K box and do it again, and maybe get a decade out of it...

I don't love it like I used to, but... it sure is easy to use. I need some kind of DVR for OTA broadcasts, and TiVo just works. Despite having to replace cards on the inside once in a while.

But I'm not sure what the competition is, and I'm not sure if I could build a HTPC/Kodi box that would be cheaper than just going all-in on the TiVo for $300. 

Even if I used some kind of basic DVR I'd still need program guide data to do the annual passes, and I don't see a way to get that cheap. 

Disney just announced that Disney+/Hulu/ESPN+ will be available as a bundle for $12.99/mo. starting in November. 

20 hours ago, McBokonon said:

Disney just announced that Disney+/Hulu/ESPN+ will be available as a bundle for $12.99/mo. starting in November. 

Hulu will be supported by ads, haven't been able to determine if that gets you live tv too?

Either way I am probably in for this and saying goodbye to DTVN.  

I'm guessing the add supported version of Hulu, coming bundled with the Disney Streaming service, and ESPN+ later this year does not have live network TV (looking for NFL games)?  This is tempting and would be almost everything I need DirecTV for, but I need NFL games.

For those who know someone in college, Direct TV is again doing the $100 for a year of streaming Sunday Ticket for "college students" (wink wink).  Every year I buy this subscription for my cousin in college and have all the games on at my house on Sunday, but she never shows up to watch.  Use discount code "backtoschool" for 20% off. 

• Like 1
  • Laughing 1

2 hours ago, B Maverick said:

Hulu will be supported by ads, haven't been able to determine if that gets you live tv too?

Either way I am probably in for this and saying goodbye to DTVN.  

I'm almost certain it won't include Hulu live.  I pay something like $40/mo for Hulu live w/no ads.  

On 7/24/2019 at 6:48 AM, Craig_MiamiFL said:

I'm always open at looking at options but streaming service options are so affordable and good that don't have to shop around. 

Philo has been awesome for me. On demand/DVR options and only $16/mo. Not a single hiccup since I've started. Quality for me as far exceeded Sling/DTV Now/Vue. Pluto offers a ton of past content for free as well. Along with free YouTube/live streams. 

I use to be a big user of Kodi but havent once loaded it in probably 2 years at this point. There's just so many affordable quality options out there. I tell my family members all the time that they're wasting their money paying $100+/mo for cable while spending maybe a handful of hours/week watching TV.

Love Philo - not one issue since I signed up

• Like 1

FFS....who else here has Xfinity X1 set up?  We've been without the functionality since last Friday.  I went and bought a Roku and stream it through the Xfinity streaming app....It now seems pretty stupid to have their modem/router, and TV boxes for $33 a month.  Think I am going back to my old router and buying another stick for upstairs.

I’m all in with no knowledge and no net. Installed just internet at the new house so need to scramble for solutions.  Will start with OTA and Netflix/amazon. Should be interesting.  

What is the choice hardware?  Apple tv?  Roku? HTPC?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, matttyl said:

For those who know someone in college, Direct TV is again doing the $100 for a year of streaming Sunday Ticket for "college students" (wink wink).  Every year I buy this subscription for my cousin in college and have all the games on at my house on Sunday, but she never shows up to watch.  Use discount code "backtoschool" for 20% off. 

So pissed just @ .edu email doesn't work anymore. Anyone know if reddit is taking down NFL Streams like they did with UFC and everything else?   Probably. 

6 minutes ago, Nick Vermeil said:

I’m all in with no knowledge and no net. Installed just internet at the new house so need to scramble for solutions.  Will start with OTA and Netflix/amazon. Should be interesting.  

What is the choice hardware?  Apple tv?  Roku? HTPC?

HTPC and Firestick here. Just got another firestick for the HTPC just because the .apks are so much easier to get the goods. 

1 hour ago, The Commish said:

FFS....who else here has Xfinity X1 set up?  We've been without the functionality since last Friday.  I went and bought a Roku and stream it through the Xfinity streaming app....It now seems pretty stupid to have their modem/router, and TV boxes for $33 a month.  Think I am going back to my old router and buying another stick for upstairs.

Nobody. Did you read the thread title?  

9 hours ago, tonydead said:

Nobody. Did you read the thread title?  

Yes...no cable required :shrug: 

I learned of the X1 system via this thread :shrug: 

10 hours ago, tonydead said:

So pissed just @ .edu email doesn't work anymore. Anyone know if reddit is taking down NFL Streams like they did with UFC and everything else?   Probably. 

I never had to even enter a .edu address.  I just put in the first and last name, and DOB of my cousin (and the school she's in).  It then does a check of sorts, and a green check mark appears with a "hut hut" message to select the plan I'd like.  I know I can do VPN stuff, but this seems a bit more legal to me. 

Just now, matttyl said:

I never had to even enter a .edu address.  I just put in the first and last name, and DOB of my cousin (and the school she's in).  It then does a check of sorts, and a green check mark appears with a "hut hut" message to select the plan I'd like.  I know I can do VPN stuff, but this seems a bit more legal to me. 

Yeah. It's that other stuff I dont have. 

10 hours ago, tonydead said:

HTPC and Firestick here. Just got another firestick for the HTPC just because the .apks are so much easier to get the goods. 

Maybe you'd be the guy to ask.  I have an HTPC - and firesticks.  Is there an easy way (non tech wife friendly) to record stuff on the HTPC (located in the basement), and watch them on the firesticks (located in bedroom and living room)?

1 minute ago, tonydead said:

Yeah. It's that other stuff I dont have. 

You don't know one person currently attending a college or university?  Even a friend/family member of a friend of yours?

12 hours ago, The Commish said:

I've got X1.  What do the app on a roku (or anything else) allow you to do?  I'd love to be able to use a roku or a firestick to 1) watch live shows on an xfinity app, and 2) if possible, view recorded stuff on my x1 HD dvr.  Know if either of those are possible?

5 minutes ago, matttyl said:

I've got X1.  What do the app on a roku (or anything else) allow you to do?  I'd love to be able to use a roku or a firestick to 1) watch live shows on an xfinity app, and 2) if possible, view recorded stuff on my x1 HD dvr.  Know if either of those are possible?

Is yours out?  They told me the problem we are having is a "national" problem.  

As to the second part, yes you can watch live shows via xfinity streaming app on roku.  It's pretty much the same interface as what going through your X1 device provides.  The only thing I don't like is inability to go directly to a particular channel.  The Roku remote doesn't have number buttons on it.  I don't know about the DVR part.  I haven't seen if that's a capability or messed with it yet.

Just now, The Commish said:

Is yours out?  They told me the problem we are having is a "national" problem.  

As to the second part, yes you can watch live shows via xfinity streaming app on roku.  It's pretty much the same interface as what going through your X1 device provides.  The only thing I don't like is inability to go directly to a particular channel.  The Roku remote doesn't have number buttons on it.  I don't know about the DVR part.  I haven't seen if that's a capability or messed with it yet.

Don't think it's been out, but last night we just watched pre-recorded shows from the night before.  That's why I'm interested in finding a "whole home dvr" solution, without having to pay their set top box rental fees.  I think I have an extra roku or two around, I'll give it a shot. 

20 minutes ago, matttyl said:

Maybe you'd be the guy to ask.  I have an HTPC - and firesticks.  Is there an easy way (non tech wife friendly) to record stuff on the HTPC (located in the basement), and watch them on the firesticks (located in bedroom and living room)?

I use Plex server. 

• Like 1