What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

We've cut the cable (6 Viewers)

I'm guessing the add supported version of Hulu, coming bundled with the Disney Streaming service, and ESPN+ later this year does not have live network TV (looking for NFL games)?  This is tempting and would be almost everything I need DirecTV for, but I need NFL games.

For those who know someone in college, Direct TV is again doing the $100 for a year of streaming Sunday Ticket for "college students" (wink wink).  Every year I buy this subscription for my cousin in college and have all the games on at my house on Sunday, but she never shows up to watch.  Use discount code "backtoschool" for 20% off. 

I'm always open at looking at options but streaming service options are so affordable and good that don't have to shop around. 

Philo has been awesome for me. On demand/DVR options and only $16/mo. Not a single hiccup since I've started. Quality for me as far exceeded Sling/DTV Now/Vue. Pluto offers a ton of past content for free as well. Along with free YouTube/live streams. 

I use to be a big user of Kodi but havent once loaded it in probably 2 years at this point. There's just so many affordable quality options out there. I tell my family members all the time that they're wasting their money paying $100+/mo for cable while spending maybe a handful of hours/week watching TV.
Love Philo - not one issue since I signed up

FFS....who else here has Xfinity X1 set up?  We've been without the functionality since last Friday.  I went and bought a Roku and stream it through the Xfinity streaming app....It now seems pretty stupid to have their modem/router, and TV boxes for $33 a month.  Think I am going back to my old router and buying another stick for upstairs.

I’m all in with no knowledge and no net. Installed just internet at the new house so need to scramble for solutions.  Will start with OTA and Netflix/amazon. Should be interesting.  

What is the choice hardware?  Apple tv?  Roku? HTPC?

For those who know someone in college, Direct TV is again doing the $100 for a year of streaming Sunday Ticket for "college students" (wink wink).  Every year I buy this subscription for my cousin in college and have all the games on at my house on Sunday, but she never shows up to watch.  Use discount code "backtoschool" for 20% off. 
So pissed just @ .edu email doesn't work anymore. Anyone know if reddit is taking down NFL Streams like they did with UFC and everything else?   Probably. 

I’m all in with no knowledge and no net. Installed just internet at the new house so need to scramble for solutions.  Will start with OTA and Netflix/amazon. Should be interesting.  

What is the choice hardware?  Apple tv?  Roku? HTPC?
HTPC and Firestick here. Just got another firestick for the HTPC just because the .apks are so much easier to get the goods. 

FFS....who else here has Xfinity X1 set up?  We've been without the functionality since last Friday.  I went and bought a Roku and stream it through the Xfinity streaming app....It now seems pretty stupid to have their modem/router, and TV boxes for $33 a month.  Think I am going back to my old router and buying another stick for upstairs.
Nobody. Did you read the thread title?  

So pissed just @ .edu email doesn't work anymore. Anyone know if reddit is taking down NFL Streams like they did with UFC and everything else?   Probably. 
I never had to even enter a .edu address.  I just put in the first and last name, and DOB of my cousin (and the school she's in).  It then does a check of sorts, and a green check mark appears with a "hut hut" message to select the plan I'd like.  I know I can do VPN stuff, but this seems a bit more legal to me. 

I never had to even enter a .edu address.  I just put in the first and last name, and DOB of my cousin (and the school she's in).  It then does a check of sorts, and a green check mark appears with a "hut hut" message to select the plan I'd like.  I know I can do VPN stuff, but this seems a bit more legal to me. 
Yeah. It's that other stuff I dont have. 

HTPC and Firestick here. Just got another firestick for the HTPC just because the .apks are so much easier to get the goods. 
Maybe you'd be the guy to ask.  I have an HTPC - and firesticks.  Is there an easy way (non tech wife friendly) to record stuff on the HTPC (located in the basement), and watch them on the firesticks (located in bedroom and living room)?

I've got X1.  What do the app on a roku (or anything else) allow you to do?  I'd love to be able to use a roku or a firestick to 1) watch live shows on an xfinity app, and 2) if possible, view recorded stuff on my x1 HD dvr.  Know if either of those are possible?

I've got X1.  What do the app on a roku (or anything else) allow you to do?  I'd love to be able to use a roku or a firestick to 1) watch live shows on an xfinity app, and 2) if possible, view recorded stuff on my x1 HD dvr.  Know if either of those are possible?
Is yours out?  They told me the problem we are having is a "national" problem.  

As to the second part, yes you can watch live shows via xfinity streaming app on roku.  It's pretty much the same interface as what going through your X1 device provides.  The only thing I don't like is inability to go directly to a particular channel.  The Roku remote doesn't have number buttons on it.  I don't know about the DVR part.  I haven't seen if that's a capability or messed with it yet.

Is yours out?  They told me the problem we are having is a "national" problem.  

As to the second part, yes you can watch live shows via xfinity streaming app on roku.  It's pretty much the same interface as what going through your X1 device provides.  The only thing I don't like is inability to go directly to a particular channel.  The Roku remote doesn't have number buttons on it.  I don't know about the DVR part.  I haven't seen if that's a capability or messed with it yet.
Don't think it's been out, but last night we just watched pre-recorded shows from the night before.  That's why I'm interested in finding a "whole home dvr" solution, without having to pay their set top box rental fees.  I think I have an extra roku or two around, I'll give it a shot. 

Maybe you'd be the guy to ask.  I have an HTPC - and firesticks.  Is there an easy way (non tech wife friendly) to record stuff on the HTPC (located in the basement), and watch them on the firesticks (located in bedroom and living room)?
I use Plex server. 

Mostly joking, but, paying comcast $33 a month in equipment fees isn't cutting the cord, imo. Are you under contract with them?  
no....not for the equipment.  They seem to be one of the few out there that encourage people to use their own stuff.  I have my own router and if I get another Roku, I'd be able send all that equipment back which is where this seems like it's headed.  Going through their wireless cable boxes hasn't worked for almost a week now (yet streaming via PC/phone and streaming app works fine).

no....not for the equipment.  They seem to be one of the few out there that encourage people to use their own stuff.  I have my own router and if I get another Roku, I'd be able send all that equipment back which is where this seems like it's headed.  Going through their wireless cable boxes hasn't worked for almost a week now (yet streaming via PC/phone and streaming app works fine).
I meant under contract with them at all?  That and using a cable box is a “ cable tv subscription “. - the opposite of cutting the cable. 

I meant under contract with them at all?  That and using a cable box is a “ cable tv subscription “. - the opposite of cutting the cable. 
No...we don't have a cable tv subscription...it's just their streaming service.  With that service plus internet it's $100 a month for two years.  Prior to that I was paying $89 a month just for internet access.  So we added their streaming service instead of Directv streaming or YouTube streaming or Hulu streaming etc.  Primarily because we can get our local channels without having to put up antennas.

Let's be real, the streaming services that the majority of people in this thread use are not really cutting cable either, they are just getting the same product from a different and better provider. I don't see much difference between using comcast and your own hardware or hulu/youtubetv. Those that pirate or use the "grey market" aren't really cutting the cord either, they just don't want to have to pay for content (not looking to fire up that tired discussion, just saying). 

No...we don't have a cable tv subscription...it's just their streaming service.  With that service plus internet it's $100 a month for two years.  Prior to that I was paying $89 a month just for internet access.  So we added their streaming service instead of Directv streaming or YouTube streaming or Hulu streaming etc.  Primarily because we can get our local channels without having to put up antennas.
Using their cable box isn't the same as using their streaming service.  You are just using their streaming service, that comes along with your contract, because your cable box isn't working.

Let's be real, the streaming services that the majority of people in this thread use are not really cutting cable either, they are just getting the same product from a different and better provider. I don't see much difference between using comcast and your own hardware or hulu/youtubetv. Those that pirate or use the "grey market" aren't really cutting the cord either, they just don't want to have to pay for content (not looking to fire up that tired discussion, just saying). 
One of the primary tenants of Cutting the Cable is to not be beholden to the cable companies, no strings attached.  He's under a TWO year contract, that comes with a termination fee and zero leverage.  Plus equipement fees, plus taxes, et al.  Three facts that are undeniable, yet people try to justify it to themselves all the time: a) people under contract end up paying as much or more than those without a contract, b) cutting the cord altogether normally saves a significant amount of money over a cable subscription and c) the other streaming services offer a better overall experience (his cable box isn't even working right now).

If your X1 system isn't working you should be posting in the Comcast thread, not the Cut the Cable thread (I don't really care, just saying).

I don't want to speak for him but he literally just said he doesn't have a cable TV subscription. We all have to pay someone for internet, I assume lots of ISPs require contracts. I am lucky that I can get Google Fiber and don't have to worry about that.

Xfinity offers something that to my understanding is essentially just like these other streaming services. He doesn't have a streaming device for one of his TVs so he uses their wireless streaming device, which doesn't seem to be working. If he had a roku/apple tv/whatever plugged into that TV he could send that thing back to Xfinity and nothing would change as far as what he pays them.The streaming services are all owned by giant media companies and google anyhow - nobody here is sticking it to the man. 

If your X1 system isn't working you should be posting in the Comcast thread, not the Cut the Cable thread (I don't really care, just saying).
so if Hulu Live TV is being buggy do I have to take that to the Disney thread?

BACKTOSCHOOL code works again this year making it only $80

I don't want to speak for him but he literally just said he doesn't have a cable TV subscription. We all have to pay someone for internet, I assume lots of ISPs require contracts. I am lucky that I can get Google Fiber and don't have to worry about that.

Xfinity offers something that to my understanding is essentially just like these other streaming services. He doesn't have a streaming device for one of his TVs so he uses their wireless streaming device, which doesn't seem to be working. If he had a roku/apple tv/whatever plugged into that TV he could send that thing back to Xfinity and nothing would change as far as what he pays them.The streaming services are all owned by giant media companies and google anyhow - nobody here is sticking it to the man. 
He literally just said $100 a month for two years.  That's a contract with Comcast, the giant pig of the cable companies.

so if Hulu Live TV is being buggy do I have to take that to the Disney thread?
Of course not, that's a OTT.  If you're trying to say there is no difference then you are saying there isn't such a thing.  That's a weird argument because clearly there is such a thing:

Cord cutting refers to the process of cutting expensive cable connections in order to change to a low-cost TV channel subscription through over-the-air (OT) free broadcast through antenna, or over-the-top (OTT) broadcast over the Internet. Cord cutting is a growing trend that is adversely affecting the cable industry. -Techopedia

The bold assumption is wrong too.  Even Comcast, the giant pig of the cable tv industry, doesn't require a contract for internet only.

Using their cable box isn't the same as using their streaming service.  You are just using their streaming service, that comes along with your contract, because your cable box isn't working.
At this point, I'm really not sure what you want from me or the point you're trying to make.  This is their version of a "Roku" box they are providing to me for $10 a month.  It's a wireless box that streams their service...call it whatever you want I guess?  All I know is the streaming app I use on the Roku seems to be the same app that's installed on this box they provided me only it opens by default and I can use channel numbers on their remote.  There is obviously something different on their backend because it streams fine through roku, but not through the box they provided me but I don't know what that difference is...if I had to guess it's the way they are separating the traffic, but that's only a guess.

He's under a TWO year contract, that comes with a termination fee and zero leverage
No, he's not....it's a price guarantee for two years...after that they can start their rate hike shtick.  I could walk from that locked in price tomorrow if I wanted to.  That probably wasn't clear in my brief mention above.

And to be clear, since I found out about X1 in this thread, I came back to this thread to ask those who had told me about it if they were having an issue also.  I was told it was "national" so I wanted to see if they were experiencing the same problem.  You seem pretty worked up in this thread for whatever reason.  I didn't even now there was a Comcast thread :lol:  

No, he's not....it's a price guarantee for two years...after that they can start their rate hike shtick.  I could walk from that locked in price tomorrow if I wanted to.  That probably wasn't clear in my brief mention above.
I'm not aware of Comcast ever giving price guarantees without a contract.  Well, of course it wouldn't be a guarantee without a contract, and they supposedly just provided you in writing this price guarantee with no strings attached?  What's their motivation for doing that?  I don't think you have what you think you have.  But, that's ok, just trying to let you know.

I would think you are right, but $12.99 for that package and adding $40 for live still beats my DTVN pricing.
I agree, and would be interested myself since I subscribe to ESPN+, but I've not seen anything that indicates the bundle offer has an option to include Hulu Live.

Update: Switched from DTVN about a month ago when we moved into a new home.  Skeptical at first as long time Time Warner Cable customers, but we went with Spectrum TV streaming.  Service has been great. The only annoyance is when you switch channels there is a one second pause/pixelated screen. We are running off AppleTV 4k boxes and one spectrum box (for DVR). Have about 250 channels including HBO and Showtime and local channels. No contract disputes yet so we haven't lost any channels. Total cost is $120 which includes phone and 400gb internet service. DTVN had raised total cost to over $165.  Unlimited streams, stream from anywhere. Just can't watch DVR outside of home, which is fine because we use "Channels" to dvr OTA channels and can access from anywhere. All network connections internally are wifi.

I'm not aware of Comcast ever giving price guarantees without a contract.  Well, of course it wouldn't be a guarantee without a contract, and they supposedly just provided you in writing this price guarantee with no strings attached?  What's their motivation for doing that?  I don't think you have what you think you have.  But, that's ok, just trying to let you know.
You can call them and argue with them I guess?   Seems to be really bothering you.  It's up on their offer page as we speak but you probably know better than all of us actually involved in the relationship.

https://www.xfinity.com/learn/offers

You'll see that there are commitment contracts and no commitment contracts.  For $10 a month I opted for no commitment.  It appears it's been narrowed to a year now though.

My specific one:  https://www.xfinity.com/learn/offers/details?offerId=9777103963&buyflowConsumerType=MyPlanRepackager (now narrowed to a year)

Have to say, in all my years on this board, this is probably the most absurd back and forth I have ever been a part of....I guess people WILL argue about damn near anything and to what end?  :lol:  

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh...and I made a mistake before...It's not $10 per box...it's $5 per box....regardless, I think those are going back and I'll go with Roku....

I agree, and would be interested myself since I subscribe to ESPN+, but I've not seen anything that indicates the bundle offer has an option to include Hulu Live.
Yeah, it may be a separate add on?  

If not, sling may be an option as well.  Once all the packages are avail, will need to see whats actually offered at what price to put it all together.  

You can call them and argue with them I guess?   Seems to be really bothering you.  It's up on their offer page as we speak but you probably know better than all of us actually involved in the relationship.

https://www.xfinity.com/learn/offers

You'll see that there are commitment contracts and no commitment contracts.  For $10 a month I opted for no commitment.  It appears it's been narrowed to a year now though.

My specific one:  https://www.xfinity.com/learn/offers/details?offerId=9777103963&buyflowConsumerType=MyPlanRepackager (now narrowed to a year)

Have to say, in all my years on this board, this is probably the most absurd back and forth I have ever been a part of....I guess people WILL argue about damn near anything and to what end?  :lol:  
Got it.  You're paying an extra fee per month for the no strings attached.  :lmao:   I think I found the string attached.  Funny thing is that you'll probably still be with them after two years so they just got you for another $240.  That $240 matches almost exactly the early cancellation fee for the commitment contracts.  You see what they did there right, they front loaded the cancellation fee onto you?

Please don't take me wrong, I'm not trying to argue with you, I just have a hatred for these companies because they keep pushing an antiquated model and they swindle people out of their money.  Their tactics are particularly effective with old people and to me that is unacceptable.

Got it.  You're paying an extra fee per month for the no strings attached.  :lmao:   I think I found the string attached.  Funny thing is that you'll probably still be with them after two years so they just got you for another $240.  That $240 matches almost exactly the early cancellation fee for the commitment contracts.  You see what they did there right, they front loaded the cancellation fee onto you?

Please don't take me wrong, I'm not trying to argue with you, I just have a hatred for these companies because they keep pushing an antiquated model and they swindle people out of their money.  Their tactics are particularly effective with old people and to me that is unacceptable.
This is so weird....you said this:

I don't have a contract with them :shrug:   (outside what I signed for the equipment that it seems I should be taking back)

The phrases "guarantee without a contract" and "no strings attached" are doing some major work to maintain your perspective here.  Am I on candid camera??  :oldunsure:  

Just switched my mom to antenna and firestick streaming last week when home. Unbelievable some of the bull#### fees/charges Comcast was assessing her. :lol: Broadcast fee. Some HD fee :lmao:  Regional Sports Fee :lmao: . It was $50/mo just in pure bullshlt charges. I really couldn't stop laughing when I read her bill. No clue how she got roped into that considering I don't think she's watched sports in her life. She was locked into a 2 year agreement somehow (though customer for 6+ yrs). Paid her $110 early termination. She's saving $100/mo now.

Cable and Internet was $175/mo and supposedly that was some $40/mo bundle "discount" :lmao:  .  She's now paying a total of $75/mo for Internet and Philo/Pluto.

@matttyl As far as I can see, there isn't anything in the streaming app that isn't wrapped into the X1 box itself.  I see my DVR, I see my favorites everything.
And what devices is this app available on?  firestick would be great, but roku would work, too.  Saves me a $6 per TV rental!

And what devices is this app available on?  firestick would be great, but roku would work, too.  Saves me a $6 per TV rental!
I have the Roku stick +

I think it's probably available on all Roku, but not sure.  It saves on that AND it frees you up to buy your own modem/router if you are renting.

I have the Roku stick +

I think it's probably available on all Roku, but not sure.  It saves on that AND it frees you up to buy your own modem/router if you are renting.
I’m already doing that, though.  Why dies this app make any difference?

I’m already doing that, though.  Why dies this app make any difference?
Your own modem/router you mean?  I was told my router wouldn't work even though it met all the criteria.  They had a short list of modems that would work with their wireless boxes.  If you have one, good on ya :thumbup:  The app doesn't make a difference, so I can go back to my router and they can't hide behind "incompatible equipment" when it doesn't work.  I've been on with them for a short period of time and experienced all kinds of problems.  It's been quite staggering actually.  It's either them or DTv and I've had it with DTv for a while...between the cost and ####ty equipment and being in Central Florida now, I need a break....had been with them since the late 90s.

Craig_MiamiFL said:
Just switched my mom to antenna and firestick streaming last week when home. Unbelievable some of the bull#### fees/charges Comcast was assessing her. :lol: Broadcast fee. Some HD fee :lmao:  Regional Sports Fee :lmao: . It was $50/mo just in pure bullshlt charges. I really couldn't stop laughing when I read her bill. No clue how she got roped into that considering I don't think she's watched sports in her life. She was locked into a 2 year agreement somehow (though customer for 6+ yrs). Paid her $110 early termination. She's saving $100/mo now.

Cable and Internet was $175/mo and supposedly that was some $40/mo bundle "discount" :lmao:  .  She's now paying a total of $75/mo for Internet and Philo/Pluto.
She didn't know she could have paid them an extra $10 a month for six years to avoid that termination fee? :lol:

I'm glad you're laughing about it because I think it's pretty sad the way these companies prey on people. Besides being monopolies. Some of these people should be in jail. 

She didn't know she could have paid them an extra $10 a month for six years to avoid that termination fee? :lol:

I'm glad you're laughing about it because I think it's pretty sad the way these companies prey on people. Besides being monopolies. Some of these people should be in jail. 
:lol:  She had no idea. Apparently work was paying for her internet til last year (through Comcast as well) but then when she had to add it to her existing cable package with Comcast they tacked a 2 year agreement to it. She got roped by someone by having regional sports package :lmao:  . She just autopays everything w/o questioning.

I just find it unbelievable that people are paying $200+/mo for internet and TV in 2019.

Users who are viewing this thread