Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Addai's Adidas

We've cut the cable

3 hours ago, Warhogs said:

Anyone try Playstation Vue? I have Directtv Now nut have been thinking of trying something else. It sounded like Playstation might be a better option for sports.

I have PSVUE and it has been pretty good for the most part.  Much better picture than Sling or Directv now and way less freeze ups than Directv now (used all 3 with a ROKU stick).  I am waiting for Hulu or Youtube tv to get NFL Network to try them, but PSVUE has been the best of the ones I have tried even though it is more expensive than Sling.

It's been 3 days since I signed up for Hulu live tv. What a dumpster fire this service is. Hulu glitches and quits more often than Directvnow ever did. I'm thinking as much as I didn't care for YouTube tv's interface at least it didn't crash every other minute for an hour then work for 8 hours like Hulu does.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, dorno said:

It's been 3 days since I signed up for Hulu live tv. What a dumpster fire this service is. Hulu glitches and quits more often than Directvnow ever did. I'm thinking as much as I didn't care for YouTube tv's interface at least it didn't crash every other minute for an hour then work for 8 hours like Hulu does.

I have been using Hulu live since March with Fios (150/150) and an Orbi (25ish electronic devises) and have had little problems.  

Edited by schlesinj

49 minutes ago, schlesinj said:

I have been using Hulu live since March with Fios (150/150) and an Orbi (25ish electronic devises) and have had little problems.  

Must be nice. I never have issues with Netflix nor did I have issues with Hulu without the live tv part of it. Also had no issues with YouTube tv buffering or glitching. Wondering if it's possibly a Roku issue and Hulu. 

It’s funny that these paid services glitch out when offering 50 channels when grey market IPTV is pretty bombproof at 3000 channels for $5 :eek::lol: 

No excuse

12 minutes ago, [icon] said:

It’s funny that these paid services glitch out when offering 50 channels when grey market IPTV is pretty bombproof at 3000 channels for $5 :eek::lol: 

No excuse

the kids helming the pirate ships are more dedicated/adept than the drones toiling for the "legit" outfits :shrug:

• Like 1

On 7/16/2019 at 7:06 PM, dorno said:

Cancelled directvnow today effective tomorrow after the last of the ten dollars a month discounts fell away. Also trialled YouTube tv the last few days and just didn't like ui compared to all the other services. Going to trial out Hulu with live tv tomorrow. If I don't care for that one I'll just have to learn to like Hulu or YouTube tv. If directvnow had more than a 20 hour dvr I'd probably have stuck with them. As slow and glitchy the software was I just liked the ui. 

Try Sling. I actually really liked it.  

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, [icon] said:

No excuse

Stolen stuff is usually cheaper 🤷‍♂️

5 minutes ago, Otis said:

Stolen stuff is usually cheaper 🤷‍♂️

:whoosh:

So it’s acceptable that some Serbian kid In his mothers basement set up a more reliable distribution/broadcast network then one of the largest IPTV corporations in America? 

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, otb_lifer said:

the kids helming the pirate ships are more dedicated/adept than the drones toiling for the "legit" outfits :shrug:

Yep!  I’m guessing that Hulu has dozens of network engineers on staff 24/7, yet little Leo Antonovich is kicking their asses. :lol: 

• Laughing 2

54 minutes ago, Otis said:

Still using it? I just noticed “liked” instead of “like.”

42 minutes ago, [icon] said:

Yep!  I’m guessing that Hulu has dozens of network engineers on staff 24/7, yet little Leo Antonovich is kicking their asses. :lol: 

How many millions of users is Leo serving? Not trying to be a ####, but I’d bet the number of people using pirated stuff is way smaller than the top service providers. Not saying there isn’t an issue. Also, let’s be honest, people don’t complain when paying nothing and knowing it’s pirated. There could be similar issues but mentally one is OK and the other is not. 

I have a tech question, looking for advice.

Sitting in my basement, my Ipad registers about 120mbps up and down on my 5ghz signal, and about half that (40s-50s) on the 2.4 ghz wifi.

About 5 feet away, both my smart tv (Vizio) and my 4k fire stick register in the single digits, often under 5 mbps. The picture is terrible.

Any advice on how I can trouble-shoot this or fix it?

tia

Not cutting the cord, but have a cord cutting question.  I recently got a projector and a screen, I would like to utilize in my backyard.  Watching Netflix/Amazon is easy and all, but I would like to watch live TV out there (NFL in the fall).  What are the options for live NFL games on all the various channels?  FOX/CBS Sunday afternoons and NBC for the evening game (not worried about Monday/Thursday cable games).  Will I need to get the paid app for each of these channels?  DirecTV does not support their video going out from a phone to a projector, so I need another way.

3 hours ago, CletiusMaximus said:

I have a tech question, looking for advice.

Sitting in my basement, my Ipad registers about 120mbps up and down on my 5ghz signal, and about half that (40s-50s) on the 2.4 ghz wifi.

About 5 feet away, both my smart tv (Vizio) and my 4k fire stick register in the single digits, often under 5 mbps. The picture is terrible.

Any advice on how I can trouble-shoot this or fix it?

tia

Do you have the Firestick plugged into the wall/outlet or into the TV’s USB? You say the smart TV is bad as well so that’s really weird. My Firestick on my 3rd floor works great and my router is two floors down even before I got my new mesh router yesterday. 

2 hours ago, Bull Dozier said:

Not cutting the cord, but have a cord cutting question.  I recently got a projector and a screen, I would like to utilize in my backyard.  Watching Netflix/Amazon is easy and all, but I would like to watch live TV out there (NFL in the fall).  What are the options for live NFL games on all the various channels?  FOX/CBS Sunday afternoons and NBC for the evening game (not worried about Monday/Thursday cable games).  Will I need to get the paid app for each of these channels?  DirecTV does not support their video going out from a phone to a projector, so I need another way.

Not sure how the projectors work for input devices, but will it accept a Chromecast?  If so, you can cast your screen from your phone/tablet (android) using the DirecTV app to the Chromecast. 

That's how I do it on a regular TV up at my hunting cabin.  I don't have wifi, but set up my phone as a hotspot and cast my screen from the DirecTV app. 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Went home at lunch time and was going to catch the news. My directtv no longer has the minneapolis CBS at lunch time. I had been seeing warnings of a dispute. Is this just a regional thing? I'm dropping directtv now but not having CBS would be an absolute killer for me ever considering going back to them.

Edited by Warhogs

Posted (edited)

Decided to go with Spectrum streaming for $30/month recently. Just moved and was tired of trying to get the digital antennas to work. I live in a somewhat rural area but most of the towers are less than 40 miles away. I also live in a higher altitude than most of the county around me, still had trouble. Forget it, I'll pay the $30/month to avoid the hassle and not have to worry about ABC being glitchy while my wife #####es about not being about to watch The Bachelor. Plus the additional channels that we actually have some interest in. This in addition to Netflix, Hulu, HBO Go, Amazon Prime gives us plenty, and probably more than we actually need. Now if only they'd program the casting option into the Spectrum app...going to have to buy some Roku sticks I guess.

Edited by BlueDredSo
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Bull Dozier said:

do you have directv reciever?  

eta: What do you use for tv now?

Edited by belljr

1 hour ago, stbugs said:

Do you have the Firestick plugged into the wall/outlet or into the TV’s USB? You say the smart TV is bad as well so that’s really weird. My Firestick on my 3rd floor works great and my router is two floors down even before I got my new mesh router yesterday. 

I have the Firestick plugged directly into the tv hdmi input with the power coming from an outlet  The router (ATT) is one floor up, but as I said the signal is extremely fast on my ipad while sitting a few feet from the tv.   Based on some googling this morning, I will make sure all the firmware is updated when I get home tonight. Other than that, I'm at a loss.

Thanks.

10 minutes ago, CletiusMaximus said:

I have the Firestick plugged directly into the tv hdmi input with the power coming from an outlet  The router (ATT) is one floor up, but as I said the signal is extremely fast on my ipad while sitting a few feet from the tv.   Based on some googling this morning, I will make sure all the firmware is updated when I get home tonight. Other than that, I'm at a loss.

Thanks.

It makes no sense. Is the Smart TV the same speed wise? Maybe it’s a bad Firestick. I’ve never had a picture quality issue, but I have to assume that there are some bad ones out there. 

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, belljr said:

do you have directv reciever?  

eta: What do you use for tv now?

Yes, have a receiver.  Haven't figured out a realistic way to get the signal from the receiver to the projector.

3 minutes ago, Bull Dozier said:

Yes, have a receiver.  Haven't figured out a realistic way to get the signal from the receiver to the projector.

Due to the length the cable would need to be?  Could you just move the receiver during games and then move it back Sunday evening?

10 minutes ago, stbugs said:

It makes no sense. Is the Smart TV the same speed wise? Maybe it’s a bad Firestick. I’ve never had a picture quality issue, but I have to assume that there are some bad ones out there. 

The TV and firestick are both very slow - single digits.  I'm going to spend some more time on it this evening and will check back in if I learn something.  

Thanks

19 minutes ago, matttyl said:

Due to the length the cable would need to be?  Could you just move the receiver during games and then move it back Sunday evening?

Because I'm setting my projector up in my backyard, and don't want to have to run the cable through an open door or window, or have to drill a hole in a wall so I can watch a game a couple of times a year outside.

I'm also very unhandy, so if there is an obviously easy way to do it, it might not be so obvious to me.

1 minute ago, Bull Dozier said:

Because I'm setting my projector up in my backyard, and don't want to have to run the cable through an open door or window, or have to drill a hole in a wall so I can watch a game a couple of times a year outside.

I'm also very unhandy, so if there is an obviously easy way to do it, it might not be so obvious to me.

I'm not familiar with direct tv streaming capabilities.  That said, there are ways you can stream games to a firestick or chromecast assuming the projector has an HDMI input.

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Bull Dozier said:

you can try wirless hdmi... ymmv

https://www.amazon.com/Diamond-Multimedia-Wireless-Extender-Transmitter/dp/B07L9723ZF/ref=asc_df_B07L9723ZF/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=242074892521&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=7012478154126427891&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9007525&hvtargid=pla-631510498537&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Orei-Wireless-Extender-Transmitter-Receiver/dp/B07KGLBR4M/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=wireless+hdmi&qid=1563824664&s=electronics&sr=1-3

Edited by belljr

1 hour ago, matttyl said:

I'm not familiar with direct tv streaming capabilities.  That said, there are ways you can stream games to a firestick or chromecast assuming the projector has an HDMI input.

Projector does have HDMI input.  Will be trying the chromecast as previously suggested (from my phone).

59 minutes ago, belljr said:

Well if Chromecast doesn't work, I guess I can look more into this.  The price comparison isn't in the same neighborhood though (would have to buy the longer range deal).

8 hours ago, [icon] said:

:whoosh:

So it’s acceptable that some Serbian kid In his mothers basement set up a more reliable distribution/broadcast network then one of the largest IPTV corporations in America? 

8 hours ago, [icon] said:

Yep. I've had times where I was trying to stream ESPN, NFL Network, BIG 10 Network for a football game and couldn't get it to work or had a poor picture through legit streaming services. I switched to my backup option and get crystal clear picture. It's really sad that the better option costs less as well. 

Just an FYI for all NFL GamePass International users that you need to download and login to their new app by Aug 1st I believe.

9 hours ago, Otis said:

:goodposting:

Sling has been a much better experience for us vs DTVN. 

Switched from Sling to DTVN. happy with both, pricing better on DTVN. 

Re above and CBS, no it’s not a regional thing. Big dispute and I believe CBS is dropped from all the streaming services or something like that. Sure it’ll be resolved soon. 

12 hours ago, Otis said:

Re above and CBS, no it’s not a regional thing. Big dispute and I believe CBS is dropped from all the streaming services or something like that. Sure it’ll be resolved soon. 

What's your definition of soon? It's been going on for over 2 weeks now.

17 hours ago, Bull Dozier said:

Projector does have HDMI input.  Will be trying the chromecast as previously suggested (from my phone).

Well if Chromecast doesn't work, I guess I can look more into this.  The price comparison isn't in the same neighborhood though (would have to buy the longer range deal).

Can you just buy another TV and then stream it that way?

My wife bought me a Vizio 42" smart TV for Christmas for less than $200. Already has chromecast on it so I just stream from my ipad or iphone. Works great, and I use it on the patio a couple of days a week. Nice and light and easy to carry in and out.

9 minutes ago, ChiefD said:

Can you just buy another TV and then stream it that way?

My wife bought me a Vizio 42" smart TV for Christmas for less than $200. Already has chromecast on it so I just stream from my ipad or iphone. Works great, and I use it on the patio a couple of days a week. Nice and light and easy to carry in and out.

I already have the screen and projector, so I'm looking for a solution for that.  $35 for a chromecast seems to be the way to go.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, dorno said:

KDKA (Pittsburgh CBS affiliate) has said "It could be a long time".

16 hours ago, Otis said:

I'm not sure but I think what I was looking at is the dispute is between AT&T and CBS so I don't think it is all streaming devices? I'm not certain though.

1 hour ago, Warhogs said:

I'm not sure but I think what I was looking at is the dispute is between AT&T and CBS so I don't think it is all streaming devices? I'm not certain though.

I believe it's a standoff with all of AT&T's properties. 

I know it went off the air on our DTVN a couple days ago but it is there on our newly activated PlaystationVue account.

I'm really surprised that the IPTV services are not getting more mention on here.  I've had Nitro for 18 months now with nary a problem.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, FairWarning said:

I'm really surprised that the IPTV services are not getting more mention on here.  I've had Nitro for 18 months now with nary a problem.

I'm always open at looking at options but streaming service options are so affordable and good that don't have to shop around. 

Philo has been awesome for me. On demand/DVR options and only $16/mo. Not a single hiccup since I've started. Quality for me as far exceeded Sling/DTV Now/Vue. Pluto offers a ton of past content for free as well. Along with free YouTube/live streams. 

I use to be a big user of Kodi but havent once loaded it in probably 2 years at this point. There's just so many affordable quality options out there. I tell my family members all the time that they're wasting their money paying $100+/mo for cable while spending maybe a handful of hours/week watching TV.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, dorno said:

I don’t watch the price is right or Dr. Phil or CSI: Whatever, so I haven’t really noticed. 

18 hours ago, Warhogs said:

That may be right. Honestly I don’t have any reason to watch CBS so I didn’t look at it very closely. 

11 hours ago, Otis said:

I don’t watch the price is right or Dr. Phil or CSI: Whatever, so I haven’t really noticed. 

Ironically I only noticed the blackout when I wanted to watch the price is right a couple weeks back. Also it is the only CBS show I occasionally watch, currently. 

In Austin,  ATT and Directv not carrying KXAN, which is the local NBC station. We switched to Spectrum TV streaming last month when we moved into new home so we just see the obnoxious banner running across the bottom of KXAN advising to call ATT to complain.   

Do any of the streaming services like Roku offer HGTV programs?  If I can get a confirm on which one does, it'll go a long way toward convincing my wife to drop DirecTv.

Also, if a football game is going over one of the big 3 networks, will something like Roku pick that up?  As much as I'd miss my Sunday ticket, I'd still want to watch something on Sunday.

2 minutes ago, Statorama said:

Do any of the streaming services like Roku offer HGTV programs?  If I can get a confirm on which one does, it'll go a long way toward convincing my wife to drop DirecTv.

Also, if a football game is going over one of the big 3 networks, will something like Roku pick that up?  As much as I'd miss my Sunday ticket, I'd still want to watch something on Sunday.

HULU Live has HGTV. And all the major sports networks for NFL. They do not have NFL Network though.

10 minutes ago, Statorama said:

Roku is just a device. You'd need to add one of the streaming services like ChiefD mentioned - Hulu Live, Sling, YoutubeTV, etc....

Some of these services offer your local network affiliates. I live too far away and in a funky geography to pick them up with an antenna, but have you looked into that option?

1 hour ago, Uruk-Hai said:

Roku is just a device. You'd need to add one of the streaming services like ChiefD mentioned - Hulu Live, Sling, YoutubeTV, etc....

Some of these services offer your local network affiliates. I live too far away and in a funky geography to pick them up with an antenna, but have you looked into that option?

We're in the infancy of our 'cut the cable' journey.  Our initial check of Roku said it had a lot of free material, and I was wondering if HGTV was part of that "free" material.  Sounds like a no.  From a streaming perspective, if we can get whatever is on HGTV, CBS (Survivor/NFL), FOX (NFL), and PBS (This Old House) we'd be golden.  So I'll look into Hulu Live as an option.  Thanks @Uruk-Hai and @ChiefD

For those that have Hulu Live, are the shows that come with basic Hulu included (thinking Handmaids Tale specifically)

4 minutes ago, Statorama said:

For those that have Hulu Live, are the shows that come with basic Hulu included (thinking Handmaids Tale specifically)

Yes.

• Like 1