Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Addai's Adidas

We've cut the cable

1 hour ago, The Commish said:

Yes...no cable required :shrug: 

I learned of the X1 system via this thread :shrug: 

Mostly joking, but, paying comcast $33 a month in equipment fees isn't cutting the cord, imo. Are you under contract with them?  

16 minutes ago, tonydead said:

Mostly joking, but, paying comcast $33 a month in equipment fees isn't cutting the cord, imo. Are you under contract with them?  

no....not for the equipment.  They seem to be one of the few out there that encourage people to use their own stuff.  I have my own router and if I get another Roku, I'd be able send all that equipment back which is where this seems like it's headed.  Going through their wireless cable boxes hasn't worked for almost a week now (yet streaming via PC/phone and streaming app works fine).

3 minutes ago, The Commish said:

no....not for the equipment.  They seem to be one of the few out there that encourage people to use their own stuff.  I have my own router and if I get another Roku, I'd be able send all that equipment back which is where this seems like it's headed.  Going through their wireless cable boxes hasn't worked for almost a week now (yet streaming via PC/phone and streaming app works fine).

I meant under contract with them at all?  That and using a cable box is a “ cable tv subscription “. - the opposite of cutting the cable. 

Just now, tonydead said:

I meant under contract with them at all?  That and using a cable box is a “ cable tv subscription “. - the opposite of cutting the cable. 

No...we don't have a cable tv subscription...it's just their streaming service.  With that service plus internet it's $100 a month for two years.  Prior to that I was paying $89 a month just for internet access.  So we added their streaming service instead of Directv streaming or YouTube streaming or Hulu streaming etc.  Primarily because we can get our local channels without having to put up antennas.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, tonydead said:

Let's be real, the streaming services that the majority of people in this thread use are not really cutting cable either, they are just getting the same product from a different and better provider. I don't see much difference between using comcast and your own hardware or hulu/youtubetv. Those that pirate or use the "grey market" aren't really cutting the cord either, they just don't want to have to pay for content (not looking to fire up that tired discussion, just saying). 

28 minutes ago, The Commish said:

No...we don't have a cable tv subscription...it's just their streaming service.  With that service plus internet it's $100 a month for two years.  Prior to that I was paying $89 a month just for internet access.  So we added their streaming service instead of Directv streaming or YouTube streaming or Hulu streaming etc.  Primarily because we can get our local channels without having to put up antennas.

Using their cable box isn't the same as using their streaming service.  You are just using their streaming service, that comes along with your contract, because your cable box isn't working.

17 minutes ago, Moe. said:

Let's be real, the streaming services that the majority of people in this thread use are not really cutting cable either, they are just getting the same product from a different and better provider. I don't see much difference between using comcast and your own hardware or hulu/youtubetv. Those that pirate or use the "grey market" aren't really cutting the cord either, they just don't want to have to pay for content (not looking to fire up that tired discussion, just saying). 

One of the primary tenants of Cutting the Cable is to not be beholden to the cable companies, no strings attached.  He's under a TWO year contract, that comes with a termination fee and zero leverage.  Plus equipement fees, plus taxes, et al.  Three facts that are undeniable, yet people try to justify it to themselves all the time: a) people under contract end up paying as much or more than those without a contract, b) cutting the cord altogether normally saves a significant amount of money over a cable subscription and c) the other streaming services offer a better overall experience (his cable box isn't even working right now).

If your X1 system isn't working you should be posting in the Comcast thread, not the Cut the Cable thread (I don't really care, just saying).

I don't want to speak for him but he literally just said he doesn't have a cable TV subscription. We all have to pay someone for internet, I assume lots of ISPs require contracts. I am lucky that I can get Google Fiber and don't have to worry about that.

Xfinity offers something that to my understanding is essentially just like these other streaming services. He doesn't have a streaming device for one of his TVs so he uses their wireless streaming device, which doesn't seem to be working. If he had a roku/apple tv/whatever plugged into that TV he could send that thing back to Xfinity and nothing would change as far as what he pays them.The streaming services are all owned by giant media companies and google anyhow - nobody here is sticking it to the man. 

5 minutes ago, tonydead said:

If your X1 system isn't working you should be posting in the Comcast thread, not the Cut the Cable thread (I don't really care, just saying).

so if Hulu Live TV is being buggy do I have to take that to the Disney thread?

2 hours ago, matttyl said:

I never had to even enter a .edu address.  I just put in the first and last name, and DOB of my cousin (and the school she's in).  It then does a check of sorts, and a green check mark appears with a "hut hut" message to select the plan I'd like.  I know I can do VPN stuff, but this seems a bit more legal to me. 

BACKTOSCHOOL code works again this year making it only $80

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Moe. said:

I don't want to speak for him but he literally just said he doesn't have a cable TV subscription. We all have to pay someone for internet, I assume lots of ISPs require contracts. I am lucky that I can get Google Fiber and don't have to worry about that.

Xfinity offers something that to my understanding is essentially just like these other streaming services. He doesn't have a streaming device for one of his TVs so he uses their wireless streaming device, which doesn't seem to be working. If he had a roku/apple tv/whatever plugged into that TV he could send that thing back to Xfinity and nothing would change as far as what he pays them.The streaming services are all owned by giant media companies and google anyhow - nobody here is sticking it to the man. 

He literally just said $100 a month for two years.  That's a contract with Comcast, the giant pig of the cable companies.

11 minutes ago, Moe. said:

so if Hulu Live TV is being buggy do I have to take that to the Disney thread?

Of course not, that's a OTT.  If you're trying to say there is no difference then you are saying there isn't such a thing.  That's a weird argument because clearly there is such a thing:

Cord cutting refers to the process of cutting expensive cable connections in order to change to a low-cost TV channel subscription through over-the-air (OT) free broadcast through antenna, or over-the-top (OTT) broadcast over the Internet. Cord cutting is a growing trend that is adversely affecting the cable industry. -Techopedia

22 minutes ago, Moe. said:

The bold assumption is wrong too.  Even Comcast, the giant pig of the cable tv industry, doesn't require a contract for internet only.

35 minutes ago, tonydead said:

Using their cable box isn't the same as using their streaming service.  You are just using their streaming service, that comes along with your contract, because your cable box isn't working.

At this point, I'm really not sure what you want from me or the point you're trying to make.  This is their version of a "Roku" box they are providing to me for $10 a month.  It's a wireless box that streams their service...call it whatever you want I guess?  All I know is the streaming app I use on the Roku seems to be the same app that's installed on this box they provided me only it opens by default and I can use channel numbers on their remote.  There is obviously something different on their backend because it streams fine through roku, but not through the box they provided me but I don't know what that difference is...if I had to guess it's the way they are separating the traffic, but that's only a guess.

42 minutes ago, tonydead said:

He's under a TWO year contract, that comes with a termination fee and zero leverage

No, he's not....it's a price guarantee for two years...after that they can start their rate hike shtick.  I could walk from that locked in price tomorrow if I wanted to.  That probably wasn't clear in my brief mention above.

44 minutes ago, tonydead said:

And to be clear, since I found out about X1 in this thread, I came back to this thread to ask those who had told me about it if they were having an issue also.  I was told it was "national" so I wanted to see if they were experiencing the same problem.  You seem pretty worked up in this thread for whatever reason.  I didn't even now there was a Comcast thread :lol: 

18 hours ago, CletiusMaximus said:

I'm almost certain it won't include Hulu live.  I pay something like $40/mo for Hulu live w/no ads.  

I would think you are right, but $12.99 for that package and adding $40 for live still beats my DTVN pricing.

43 minutes ago, The Commish said:

No, he's not....it's a price guarantee for two years...after that they can start their rate hike shtick.  I could walk from that locked in price tomorrow if I wanted to.  That probably wasn't clear in my brief mention above.

I'm not aware of Comcast ever giving price guarantees without a contract.  Well, of course it wouldn't be a guarantee without a contract, and they supposedly just provided you in writing this price guarantee with no strings attached?  What's their motivation for doing that?  I don't think you have what you think you have.  But, that's ok, just trying to let you know.

1 hour ago, B Maverick said:

I would think you are right, but $12.99 for that package and adding $40 for live still beats my DTVN pricing.

I agree, and would be interested myself since I subscribe to ESPN+, but I've not seen anything that indicates the bundle offer has an option to include Hulu Live.

Update: Switched from DTVN about a month ago when we moved into a new home.  Skeptical at first as long time Time Warner Cable customers, but we went with Spectrum TV streaming.  Service has been great. The only annoyance is when you switch channels there is a one second pause/pixelated screen. We are running off AppleTV 4k boxes and one spectrum box (for DVR). Have about 250 channels including HBO and Showtime and local channels. No contract disputes yet so we haven't lost any channels. Total cost is $120 which includes phone and 400gb internet service. DTVN had raised total cost to over $165.  Unlimited streams, stream from anywhere. Just can't watch DVR outside of home, which is fine because we use "Channels" to dvr OTA channels and can access from anywhere. All network connections internally are wifi.

1 hour ago, tonydead said:

I'm not aware of Comcast ever giving price guarantees without a contract.  Well, of course it wouldn't be a guarantee without a contract, and they supposedly just provided you in writing this price guarantee with no strings attached?  What's their motivation for doing that?  I don't think you have what you think you have.  But, that's ok, just trying to let you know.

You can call them and argue with them I guess?   Seems to be really bothering you.  It's up on their offer page as we speak but you probably know better than all of us actually involved in the relationship.

https://www.xfinity.com/learn/offers

You'll see that there are commitment contracts and no commitment contracts.  For $10 a month I opted for no commitment.  It appears it's been narrowed to a year now though.

My specific one:  https://www.xfinity.com/learn/offers/details?offerId=9777103963&buyflowConsumerType=MyPlanRepackager (now narrowed to a year)

Have to say, in all my years on this board, this is probably the most absurd back and forth I have ever been a part of....I guess people WILL argue about damn near anything and to what end? :lol: 

Edited by The Commish
  • Like 3

Oh...and I made a mistake before...It's not $10 per box...it's $5 per box....regardless, I think those are going back and I'll go with Roku....

22 minutes ago, CletiusMaximus said:

I agree, and would be interested myself since I subscribe to ESPN+, but I've not seen anything that indicates the bundle offer has an option to include Hulu Live.

Yeah, it may be a separate add on?  

If not, sling may be an option as well.  Once all the packages are avail, will need to see whats actually offered at what price to put it all together.  

21 minutes ago, The Commish said:

You can call them and argue with them I guess?   Seems to be really bothering you.  It's up on their offer page as we speak but you probably know better than all of us actually involved in the relationship.

https://www.xfinity.com/learn/offers

You'll see that there are commitment contracts and no commitment contracts.  For $10 a month I opted for no commitment.  It appears it's been narrowed to a year now though.

My specific one:  https://www.xfinity.com/learn/offers/details?offerId=9777103963&buyflowConsumerType=MyPlanRepackager (now narrowed to a year)

Have to say, in all my years on this board, this is probably the most absurd back and forth I have ever been a part of....I guess people WILL argue about damn near anything and to what end? :lol: 

Got it.  You're paying an extra fee per month for the no strings attached.  :lmao:  I think I found the string attached.  Funny thing is that you'll probably still be with them after two years so they just got you for another $240.  That $240 matches almost exactly the early cancellation fee for the commitment contracts.  You see what they did there right, they front loaded the cancellation fee onto you?

Please don't take me wrong, I'm not trying to argue with you, I just have a hatred for these companies because they keep pushing an antiquated model and they swindle people out of their money.  Their tactics are particularly effective with old people and to me that is unacceptable.

39 minutes ago, tonydead said:

Got it.  You're paying an extra fee per month for the no strings attached.  :lmao:  I think I found the string attached.  Funny thing is that you'll probably still be with them after two years so they just got you for another $240.  That $240 matches almost exactly the early cancellation fee for the commitment contracts.  You see what they did there right, they front loaded the cancellation fee onto you?

Please don't take me wrong, I'm not trying to argue with you, I just have a hatred for these companies because they keep pushing an antiquated model and they swindle people out of their money.  Their tactics are particularly effective with old people and to me that is unacceptable.

This is so weird....you said this:

2 hours ago, tonydead said:

I don't have a contract with them :shrug:  (outside what I signed for the equipment that it seems I should be taking back)

The phrases "guarantee without a contract" and "no strings attached" are doing some major work to maintain your perspective here.  Am I on candid camera??  :oldunsure: 

Edited by The Commish

Just switched my mom to antenna and firestick streaming last week when home. Unbelievable some of the bull#### fees/charges Comcast was assessing her. :lol: Broadcast fee. Some HD fee :lmao: Regional Sports Fee :lmao:. It was $50/mo just in pure bullshlt charges. I really couldn't stop laughing when I read her bill. No clue how she got roped into that considering I don't think she's watched sports in her life. She was locked into a 2 year agreement somehow (though customer for 6+ yrs). Paid her $110 early termination. She's saving $100/mo now.

Cable and Internet was $175/mo and supposedly that was some $40/mo bundle "discount" :lmao: .  She's now paying a total of $75/mo for Internet and Philo/Pluto.

Edited by Craig_MiamiFL

@matttyl As far as I can see, there isn't anything in the streaming app that isn't wrapped into the X1 box itself.  I see my DVR, I see my favorites everything.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Commish said:

@matttyl As far as I can see, there isn't anything in the streaming app that isn't wrapped into the X1 box itself.  I see my DVR, I see my favorites everything.

And what devices is this app available on?  firestick would be great, but roku would work, too.  Saves me a $6 per TV rental!

18 minutes ago, matttyl said:

And what devices is this app available on?  firestick would be great, but roku would work, too.  Saves me a $6 per TV rental!

I have the Roku stick +

I think it's probably available on all Roku, but not sure.  It saves on that AND it frees you up to buy your own modem/router if you are renting.

• Like 1

Just now, The Commish said:

I have the Roku stick +

I think it's probably available on all Roku, but not sure.  It saves on that AND it frees you up to buy your own modem/router if you are renting.

I’m already doing that, though.  Why dies this app make any difference?

4 minutes ago, matttyl said:

I’m already doing that, though.  Why dies this app make any difference?

Your own modem/router you mean?  I was told my router wouldn't work even though it met all the criteria.  They had a short list of modems that would work with their wireless boxes.  If you have one, good on ya :thumbup: The app doesn't make a difference, so I can go back to my router and they can't hide behind "incompatible equipment" when it doesn't work.  I've been on with them for a short period of time and experienced all kinds of problems.  It's been quite staggering actually.  It's either them or DTv and I've had it with DTv for a while...between the cost and ####ty equipment and being in Central Florida now, I need a break....had been with them since the late 90s.

Edited by The Commish

6 hours ago, Craig_MiamiFL said:

Just switched my mom to antenna and firestick streaming last week when home. Unbelievable some of the bull#### fees/charges Comcast was assessing her. :lol: Broadcast fee. Some HD fee :lmao: Regional Sports Fee :lmao:. It was $50/mo just in pure bullshlt charges. I really couldn't stop laughing when I read her bill. No clue how she got roped into that considering I don't think she's watched sports in her life. She was locked into a 2 year agreement somehow (though customer for 6+ yrs). Paid her $110 early termination. She's saving $100/mo now.

Cable and Internet was $175/mo and supposedly that was some $40/mo bundle "discount" :lmao: .  She's now paying a total of $75/mo for Internet and Philo/Pluto.

She didn't know she could have paid them an extra $10 a month for six years to avoid that termination fee?:lol:

I'm glad you're laughing about it because I think it's pretty sad the way these companies prey on people. Besides being monopolies. Some of these people should be in jail. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, tonydead said:

She didn't know she could have paid them an extra $10 a month for six years to avoid that termination fee?:lol:

I'm glad you're laughing about it because I think it's pretty sad the way these companies prey on people. Besides being monopolies. Some of these people should be in jail. 

:lol: She had no idea. Apparently work was paying for her internet til last year (through Comcast as well) but then when she had to add it to her existing cable package with Comcast they tacked a 2 year agreement to it. She got roped by someone by having regional sports package :lmao: . She just autopays everything w/o questioning.

I just find it unbelievable that people are paying $200+/mo for internet and TV in 2019.

Edited by Craig_MiamiFL
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, The Commish said:

Turns out my rokus are too old for the app.  Now I have to decide if I want to buy a new one just to be able to use it like an x1 box (TVs also have firesticks, which I like more), while the app is free.

1 minute ago, matttyl said:

Turns out my rokus are too old for the app.  Now I have to decide if I want to buy a new one just to be able to use it like an x1 box (TVs also have firesticks, which I like more), while the app is free.

Have you looked to see if your firestick will accept it?  For me, each stick would be paid for within the year and then I have them for other streaming services should I decide to change to something else.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, The Commish said:

Have you looked to see if your firestick will accept it?  For me, each stick would be paid for within the year and then I have them for other streaming services should I decide to change to something else.

There isn't an "official way" to install the app onto a firestick.  I might try to get a roku cheap and give it a shot.  Just hate that I have two older rokus at home and an older chromecast and none of it's being used anymore. 

On 7/24/2019 at 6:48 AM, Craig_MiamiFL said:

I'm always open at looking at options but streaming service options are so affordable and good that don't have to shop around. 

Philo has been awesome for me. On demand/DVR options and only $16/mo. Not a single hiccup since I've started. Quality for me as far exceeded Sling/DTV Now/Vue. Pluto offers a ton of past content for free as well. Along with free YouTube/live streams. 

I use to be a big user of Kodi but havent once loaded it in probably 2 years at this point. There's just so many affordable quality options out there. I tell my family members all the time that they're wasting their money paying $100+/mo for cable while spending maybe a handful of hours/week watching TV.

i'm seeing $20 for Philo, but isn't it also kind of like the Sling $20 or $25 plan, each of which has some sports?  And also gives you the option to change subs at any time to go up or down in channels?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Long Ball Larry said:

i'm seeing $20 for Philo, but isn't it also kind of like the Sling $20 or $25 plan, each of which has some sports?  And also gives you the option to change subs at any time to go up or down in channels?

Yeah Philo went up to $20/mo for new customers back in May I think. Old customers are still getting the service at $16/mo.

Philo isn't a option for sports. I really haven't watched much sports the past couple years so isn't a great inconvenience to me. When I have had any urge to watch sports, (NBA playoffs, NCAA tourney, etc...), I can usually find a free month with alternate services. 

I tried Sling way back when they started so I can't comment on present day but Philo is far and away IMO the best streaming service out of all the ones I've tried (Sling,DTV Now, Vue, Youtube). Has DVR, VOD, and is really simple and clean to navigate. 

Are there any good apps that offer the NFL Network for cord cutters?

8 minutes ago, boilerdave said:

Mobdro ... tons of live and streaming content, all free

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Craig_MiamiFL said:

Yeah Philo went up to $20/mo for new customers back in May I think. Old customers are still getting the service at $16/mo.

Philo isn't a option for sports. I really haven't watched much sports the past couple years so isn't a great inconvenience to me. When I have had any urge to watch sports, (NBA playoffs, NCAA tourney, etc...), I can usually find a free month with alternate services. 

I tried Sling way back when they started so I can't comment on present day but Philo is far and away IMO the best streaming service out of all the ones I've tried (Sling,DTV Now, Vue, Youtube). Has DVR, VOD, and is really simple and clean to navigate. 

So Philo is like Sling or Hulu? What, then, is Pluto?

5 hours ago, boilerdave said:

sling blue has the NFL network

13 hours ago, Uruk-Hai said:

Philo is live TV like Sling/DTV Now/etc...

Pluto is old(er) shows. Believe of Viacom programming (MTV, Comedy Central, etc...) and others. Very good free option IMO. I never have a problem finding something to watch with it

Neither are sports options. I believe Pluto has reruns of the show Skip Bayless& Shannon Sharpe do (I believe). Never watched it but seem to remember seeing it on their guide.

Edited by Craig_MiamiFL

4 hours ago, Uruk-Hai said:

Just go to pluto.tv and watch. It's free, check it out. Not the best in terms of offerings or how they're presented... the ads annoy me the way they are dropped in.

So I'm trying out Sling Orange and Blue and overall it's pretty good but there are some limitations.  I am currently having to switch to antenna for locals since I don't have the antenna to go through my stereo receiver.  Also there are some channels sports wise I can't get. (regional Fox Sports / EPL matches on CNBC etc.)

I was thinking about switching to the Comcast streaming service (over a Fire stick) since I already have their internet and it would be roughly the same price as Sling with more channels. Any thoughts on the actual streaming service itself?  (Not their Roku-like box which I have seen many negative reviews both here and elsewhere). It looks like DVR is limited to 20 hours and the number of streams is limited to 2.

Jumping in here.  Have not read through this thread and will go back as needed.

Moving to a new home and looking at streaming services.  With young kids, I'm not looking at anything complicated so will stick with mainstream services.

Considering YouTube TV vs. DirecTV Now vs. Sling. Open to other ideas.

--We have Netflix and Amazon already and will likely keep both

--I don't really care about movie channels or really a whole lot of regular TV.  But want to have something.

--I care about live sports most of all.  Fox Sports, NBC Sports, ESPN, etc.  The more sports options the better in case I want to watch something live on TV.

Want to go with the cheapest option that works decently and has those minimum requirements.  Don't need to pay for extras.

If I need to go back and read through certain spots or posts, please direct me in that direction.

ETA -- I have 3 firesticks (2 newer) and an Xbox One.

Edited by gianmarco

5 hours ago, JaxBill said:

So I'm trying out Sling Orange and Blue and overall it's pretty good but there are some limitations.  I am currently having to switch to antenna for locals since I don't have the antenna to go through my stereo receiver.  Also there are some channels sports wise I can't get. (regional Fox Sports / EPL matches on CNBC etc.)

I was thinking about switching to the Comcast streaming service (over a Fire stick) since I already have their internet and it would be roughly the same price as Sling with more channels. Any thoughts on the actual streaming service itself?  (Not their Roku-like box which I have seen many negative reviews both here and elsewhere). It looks like DVR is limited to 20 hours and the number of streams is limited to 2.

Have you looked into youtubetv it will have most of your local channels if not all.  Have plenty of sports channels.  What sold me on them is they broadcast every OCSC game(Im a glutten for punishment).  Was able to watch Premier and Bundesliga games.  Unlimited DVR.  50 bucks a month.  I really like it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, gianmarco said:

Jumping in here.  Have not read through this thread and will go back as needed.

Moving to a new home and looking at streaming services.  With young kids, I'm not looking at anything complicated so will stick with mainstream services.

Considering YouTube TV vs. DirecTV Now vs. Sling. Open to other ideas.

--We have Netflix and Amazon already and will likely keep both

--I don't really care about movie channels or really a whole lot of regular TV.  But want to have something.

--I care about live sports most of all.  Fox Sports, NBC Sports, ESPN, etc.  The more sports options the better in case I want to watch something live on TV.

Want to go with the cheapest option that works decently and has those minimum requirements.  Don't need to pay for extras.

If I need to go back and read through certain spots or posts, please direct me in that direction.

ETA -- I have 3 firesticks (2 newer) and an Xbox One.

Try youtube tv see post above.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, rustycolts said:

Try youtube tv see post above.

Yeah, that's what I was leaning. And a free Roku to boot.

Interface works well? Nothing missing?

2 minutes ago, gianmarco said:

Yeah, that's what I was leaning. And a free Roku to boot.

Interface works well? Nothing missing?

Works great for me.  It has a live guide which I like and it's not complicated which makes it easier for the wife and I as we are slow adapters to technology.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, rustycolts said:

Have you looked into youtubetv it will have most of your local channels if not all.  Have plenty of sports channels.  What sold me on them is they broadcast every OCSC game(Im a glutten for punishment).  Was able to watch Premier and Bundesliga games.  Unlimited DVR.  50 bucks a month.  I really like it.

Thanks. I'm not seeing NFLN, NHLN, or Red Zone.