Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Addai's Adidas

We've cut the cable

13 hours ago, gianmarco said:

Jumping in here.  Have not read through this thread and will go back as needed.

Moving to a new home and looking at streaming services.  With young kids, I'm not looking at anything complicated so will stick with mainstream services.

Considering YouTube TV vs. DirecTV Now vs. Sling. Open to other ideas.

--We have Netflix and Amazon already and will likely keep both

--I don't really care about movie channels or really a whole lot of regular TV.  But want to have something.

--I care about live sports most of all.  Fox Sports, NBC Sports, ESPN, etc.  The more sports options the better in case I want to watch something live on TV.

Want to go with the cheapest option that works decently and has those minimum requirements.  Don't need to pay for extras.

If I need to go back and read through certain spots or posts, please direct me in that direction.

ETA -- I have 3 firesticks (2 newer) and an Xbox One.

Sports was a big thing for me too and I ended up with VUE.  It has all the ESPNs plus some good regional ESPN college coverage as well.  Also has NFL Network, Big Ten Network, SEC Network and MLB Network.

• Like 2

Some good and timely info.

I was about to pull the trigger on Sling Blue+Orange.

youtubetv won’t work for me if no NFLN.

Will checkout VUE.

Vue has been my choice for a while because of NFL network. Would like to try Hulu or Youtube TV, but no NFL network is a no go for me.  Vue is more expensive than sling, but in my experience it has a much better picture than sling and is way more stable than DTV now.

I got rid of DirecTV this year after 25 years and chose PS Vue. I’m very pleased with the service. 

It costs more than the other options but is still way less than DTV. The picture is a little bit worse than DTV but I got used to it in one day. I assume that it’ll only get better. First year without NFL Sunday Ticket though. 

• Like 1

With Uverse no longer offering NFL Network and the Redzone I'm looking into options. For comparison Comcast Xfinity 3 TV's and internet with NFL Network and Redzone will cost about $130 a month.

It looks like PS Vue is the only streaming service that offers the must haves for us. Core + sports pack will give us live sports on all major networks, ESPN, NFL Network, Redzone, plus all the main basic cable channels for the wife.

We will need this for 3 TV's in the same house, do we need 3 separate devices? Which device is recommended? Our son has a playstation but otherwise we do not have any other compatible device.

PS Vue with the sports pack will cost $65 a month, then add internet approx $50 a month for a total of $115 a month. Does not seem worth it compared to $130 a month for Comcast Xfinity TV internet package. Did I miss something?

17 hours ago, dmac37 said:

With Uverse no longer offering NFL Network and the Redzone I'm looking into options. For comparison Comcast Xfinity 3 TV's and internet with NFL Network and Redzone will cost about $130 a month.

It looks like PS Vue is the only streaming service that offers the must haves for us. Core + sports pack will give us live sports on all major networks, ESPN, NFL Network, Redzone, plus all the main basic cable channels for the wife.

We will need this for 3 TV's in the same house, do we need 3 separate devices? Which device is recommended? Our son has a playstation but otherwise we do not have any other compatible device.

PS Vue with the sports pack will cost $65 a month, then add internet approx $50 a month for a total of $115 a month. Does not seem worth it compared to $130 a month for Comcast Xfinity TV internet package. Did I miss something?

The big something is the cost after the initial price deal. I’ve got Spectrum for Internet and Phone and it went up after the first 12 months. Looks like Xfinity holds the $130 price for 2 years.

I’d rather save the $15 a month (and more in 2 years) and get 3 Firesticks. Not only do I think you’ll like it better, but you can watch Netflix, Amazon Prime, your Internet TV choice, Hulu and HBO (I get free from AT&T), etc. on one interface. The other really nice option since we travel a decent amount is that I can take my Firestick with me and plug it in to a hotel or condo TV and it all works. Some places have Smart TVs but it’s much nicer to not have to login and jump around.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Walking Boot said:
7 hours ago, dorno said:

Know if they have redzone on Sundays? 

The Reddit thread always had a Redzone stream, so probably.

On 8/14/2019 at 11:01 PM, dmac37 said:

Which device is recommended? 

I'm also interested in knowing this for VUE.

my 1st time in this thread and complete newbie as the place im staying in cut the cable so here I am 

In Canada if that makes a difference 

I went out and got roku today 
I am amazon prime member so have that all ready 
signed up for the 30 day free trial of Netflix but want to get the US version -
I see ton of free versions for movies on roku 

going to sign up for DAZN for 150 for a year -- that include nfl , mlb ,soccer , bellator , just missing hockey 

my questions 
can I get a vpn and sign up for the US Netflix
Is there a way to watch cable shows for free or do I have to pay a subscription 

that's all I got for now

thanks for any help 

Just got an email that PSVue that they are moving Destination America, Science channel, and FX+ to a higher tier so starting next month you get to pay $10 more each month if you want to watch those channels.   Usually there is a trade off but not this time.

I think we are quickly getting to the point where we wake up and the real value of streaming is gone.   It used to be that we really saved money cutting cable but now with everyone creeping up their prices, we are just sitting the payouts to 2-3 places and it's coming out as a push. The only the way to save money now is to truly sacrifice and give up something.

20 minutes ago, Shutout said:

Just got an email that PSVue that they are moving Destination America, Science channel, and FX+ to a higher tier so starting next month you get to pay $10 more each month if you want to watch those channels.   Usually there is a trade off but not this time.

I think we are quickly getting to the point where we wake up and the real value of streaming is gone.   It used to be that we really saved money cutting cable but now with everyone creeping up their prices, we are just sitting the payouts to 2-3 places and it's coming out as a push. The only the way to save money now is to truly sacrifice and give up something.

For sure. I wish we still had the iTunes model, with the option of just buying an episode of something for a buck or two apiece a la carte. Even as a backstop option to subscribing to a streaming service. Now it's all bundled up again. 

Not sure if mentioned yet, but PBS stations coming to YoutubeTV later this year.

• Like 1

I'd been with DirecTV since 2002.  I was paying around $100 with all my credits that recently expired and my bill went up to $150...which is insane, since I didn't even have any movie channels.  The charges were ridiculous.  $20 for hd on 2 receivers, $8 for regional sports, $7 for tv access?  WTH is that lol

I tried free trials of Hulu+live and Sling.  Ended up going with Sling Orange+Blue with the total tv deal.  Which includes golf channel...a must for me, redzone(NFL is in the blue package), MLB, NBA, NHL, some kids channels, DIY, 50 hours for recordings)  Also bought a $25 antenna for the locals.  Only thing I'm missing is STO to watch the Indians.  Bill is $62

Another bonus for me was clearing out equipment.  I still have a 10 year old non smart plasma tv.  So I messed around with my kids Xbox one that I previously had never touched.  I had no clue this thing pretty much did everything lol.  Now I just have my home theater receiver and the Xbox.

Double bonus....I got Amazon prime 4-5 years ago mainly for the free shipping and music.  Other than getting a free HBO trial to binge a few seasons of GOT, I rarely used it.  Recently watched The Boys and the 1st seasons of Sneaky Pete and Goliath.  I have plenty to watch now haha

I can't remember the site, but if you Google sling vs Hulu etc...it has an up to date list of channels available on each streaming service.

My experience with Xfinity streaming-

- channel coverage has been excellent.  Regional Fox sports and local channels included. Big Ten network in Sports a d Entertainment package.

- picture has been wonderful. Like good enough that I won't be able to convince the wife I need to upgrade the 10 year old TV

- DOES NOT WORK WITH FIRESTICK. PERIOD. FULL STOP. I ended up buying 2 Roku sticks. Very easy install.

- limited to 2 streams. Unless you have set top box then you can have 5 streams.

- other limitations include 20 hours DVR time. Most shows are a available on demand following day though.

I was already paying 75 for internet. Now paying 148 for internet + 220 channels + sports entertainment package + fees and taxes.

4 hours ago, waiver wire said:

is this on roku 

I’m not sure what this means. Are you asking if PSVue is available on a Roku device? 

Edited by Man In The Box

2 hours ago, JaxBill said:

- channel coverage has been excellent.  Regional Fox sports and local channels included. Big Ten network in Sports a d Entertainment package.

- picture has been wonderful. Like good enough that I won't be able to convince the wife I need to upgrade the 10 year old TV

- DOES NOT WORK WITH FIRESTICK. PERIOD. FULL STOP. I ended up buying 2 Roku sticks. Very easy install.

- limited to 2 streams. Unless you have set top box then you can have 5 streams.

- other limitations include 20 hours DVR time. Most shows are a available on demand following day though.

I was already paying 75 for internet. Now paying 148 for internet + 220 channels + sports entertainment package + fees and taxes.

So the Xfinity streaming is an extension of their internet? And they control what you can access?  Plugging a firestick with a VPN into a seperate HDMI port is blocked via their modem/router. Is that how the full stop works (or doesn't, i guess)?

Edit: I was looking for the answer and came across this: How do download Xfinity Stream on a firestick. Don't know if this is a sideload thing or a workaround.

Edited by simsarge

43 minutes ago, simsarge said:

So the Xfinity streaming is an extension of their internet? And they control what you can access?  Plugging a firestick with a VPN into a seperate HDMI port is blocked via their modem/router. Is that how the full stop works (or doesn't, i guess)?

Edit: I was looking for the answer and came across this: How do download Xfinity Stream on a firestick. Don't know if this is a sideload thing or a workaround.

The Xfinity stream app is not a available for firestick (at least not on a search on my firestick). I tried using a browser (Firefox) on Firestick and logged into Xfinity website and tried to stream. received  error about incompatible OS. I called xfinity support that flatly said the app does not support firestick. At that point I gave up and bought Roku.

Xfinity app (beta) works fine on Roku and is readily available. 

I didn't try any sideloading.

I've also hit the no Xfinity streaming on a firestick issue.  There could be a workaround, and I'm pretty tech savvy, but it just doesn't work.  Wanted to find a way to stream stuff recorded on living room DVR on the bedroom TV.  Will have to buy Roku to make it work - but would replace the Xfinity box in bedroom that I'm paying ~$6 a month for.  Also, app is in beta right now and they could theoretically start charging for it (and they could also make it work with a firestick). 

2 hours ago, JaxBill said:

This has been my experience as well.  And I now have a couple rokus if I choose to go elsewhere.  If on the X1 platform, I think there is opportunity for improvement in their equipment, but if they can manage to get their #### together, it would be a really good platform (something I never thought I'd say of a cable company).  Their customer service is scripted and predictable.  I wish there was a way to bypass all the song and dance and get to the people who can actually help.

6 minutes ago, The Commish said:

This has been my experience as well.  And I now have a couple rokus if I choose to go elsewhere.  If on the X1 platform, I think there is opportunity for improvement in their equipment, but if they can manage to get their #### together, it would be a really good platform (something I never thought I'd say of a cable company).  Their customer service is scripted and predictable.  I wish there was a way to bypass all the song and dance and get to the people who can actually help.

My biggest peeve is the guide is clunky and their numbering system terrible.  When you first go into guide, they're numbered like you're scrolling thru a cable like 2 to 220. You pick a show show and watch. You go back to guide to watch something else and now you're at 1410 surrounded by 15 cspan channels.

There's no way to group your favorite channels like Sling. Using the Roku remote there's no way to flip to previous channel. I'll have to see if my Harminy remote can improve that.

12 minutes ago, JaxBill said:

My biggest peeve is the guide is clunky and their numbering system terrible.  When you first go into guide, they're numbered like you're scrolling thru a cable like 2 to 220. You pick a show show and watch. You go back to guide to watch something else and now you're at 1410 surrounded by 15 cspan channels.

There's no way to group your favorite channels like Sling. Using the Roku remote there's no way to flip to previous channel. I'll have to see if my Harminy remote can improve that.

I use the "favorite channels" view most of the time.  Numbering is weird.  For locals, I have a 6, 436, 1006....all the same channel.  Dosen't make sense.

ETA:  On my Roku, if I hit the down arrow while on the channel a menu pops up on the bottom of the screen and there's a "last viewed" button (or something similar) on the left side.  I highlight that and it brings up the last 6-7 channels I viewed and even lists what is playing on the channel at that moment.

Edited by The Commish

1 hour ago, The Commish said:

No NFLN, Red Zone or ability to back door them or Reddit games is a deal killer for me. At least until January 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, simsarge said:

No NFLN, Red Zone or ability to back door them or Reddit games is a deal killer for me. At least until January 

Xfinity has NFL network :mellow:  I don't know about the rest

Xfinity has NFL network :mellow:  I don't know about the rest

Xfinity has RedZone but you have to add Sports and Entertainment package.

I''ve cut Netflix & HBO. That'll leave me with Prime (which I'd have anyway) and Hulu Live. I just don't watch enough TV to have several streaming services.

Right now I have a bundle with an extremely-basic cable package, 25Mbps internet, and a land line (which I've never plugged a receiver into and also have no idea what the number is). I've been getting invoice-creep the last 3 years for the bundle (up to $147/mo now). With Hulu, HBO, and Netflix added I was paying something like $220/month. Too much for my meager habits.

I can get 50 Mbps internet for $65 with no data cap, which will total me at around $115/month when added with Hulu Live (which gives me DC locals NBC, CBS, & Fox - I think I can get the more local ABC out of Harrisonburg OTA) and Prime.

Edited by Uruk-Hai

1 hour ago, Uruk-Hai said:

I''ve cut Netflix & HBO. That'll leave me with Prime (which I'd have anyway) and Hulu Live. I just don't watch enough TV to have several streaming services.

Right now I have a bundle with an extremely-basic cable package, 25Mbps internet, and a land line (which I've never plugged a receiver into and also have no idea what the number is). I've been getting invoice-creep the last 3 years for the bundle (up to $147/mo now). With Hulu, HBO, and Netflix added I was paying something like $220/month. Too much for my meager habits.

I can get 50 Mbps internet for $65 with no data cap, which will total me at around $115/month when added with Hulu Live (which gives me DC locals NBC, CBS, & Fox - I think I can get the more local ABC out of Harrisonburg OTA) and Prime.

damn, I pay 49 a month for 250 mbps no cap, then pay 5.00 a month for my iptv subscription. Att gives me some free streaming via ATT watch tv and it includes free HBO for 1 year. I have amazon prime so between that and the free ATT stuff I'm covered for entertainment and then use the iptv (currently KS Hosting) for all of my sports needs. I'm in the California Bay Area for perspective. :shrug:

On 8/16/2019 at 8:32 PM, waiver wire said:

can I get a vpn and sign up for the US Netflix

disclaimer: I haven't tried this so can't vouch for it, but they say it's possible: https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/vpns-still-work-netflix/

9 minutes ago, CGRdrJoe said:

damn, I pay 49 a month for 250 mbps no cap, then pay 5.00 a month for my iptv subscription. Att gives me some free streaming via ATT watch tv and it includes free HBO for 1 year. I have amazon prime so between that and the free ATT stuff I'm covered for entertainment and then use the iptv (currently KS Hosting) for all of my sports needs. I'm in the California Bay Area for perspective. :shrug:

I don't have many of those options where I live - the mountains of western VA . I don't know what IPTV is or if it's something I could do.

The download speed doesn't bother me, as I live alone and and don't need a ton of speed - at most, I have music streaming along with maybe a muted game. 

8 minutes ago, Uruk-Hai said:

I don't have many of those options where I live - the mountains of western VA . I don't know what IPTV is or if it's something I could do.

The download speed doesn't bother me, as I live alone and and don't need a ton of speed - at most, I have music streaming along with maybe a muted game. 

I didn't have a clue till recently following some of @icon's posts in another thread. Google troypoint iptv if you are interested, the guides are very simple and I had my firestick set up in less than 20 minutes with tons of free streaming options plus my iptv (internet protocol television).

• Like 3

17 hours ago, arctic_panzer_wolf said:

I'd been with DirecTV since 2002.  I was paying around $100 with all my credits that recently expired and my bill went up to $150...which is insane, since I didn't even have any movie channels.  The charges were ridiculous.  $20 for hd on 2 receivers, $8 for regional sports, $7 for tv access?  WTH is that lol

I tried free trials of Hulu+live and Sling.  Ended up going with Sling Orange+Blue with the total tv deal.  Which includes golf channel...a must for me, redzone(NFL is in the blue package), MLB, NBA, NHL, some kids channels, DIY, 50 hours for recordings)  Also bought a $25 antenna for the locals.  Only thing I'm missing is STO to watch the Indians.  Bill is $62

Another bonus for me was clearing out equipment.  I still have a 10 year old non smart plasma tv.  So I messed around with my kids Xbox one that I previously had never touched.  I had no clue this thing pretty much did everything lol.  Now I just have my home theater receiver and the Xbox.

Double bonus....I got Amazon prime 4-5 years ago mainly for the free shipping and music.  Other than getting a free HBO trial to binge a few seasons of GOT, I rarely used it.  Recently watched The Boys and the 1st seasons of Sneaky Pete and Goliath.  I have plenty to watch now haha

I can't remember the site, but if you Google sling vs Hulu etc...it has an up to date list of channels available on each streaming service.

Sorry, dont mean to laugh but they dont even make standard definition TV anymore. :lmao:

ETA: I pass everything through my xbox, including my HTPC. 

Edited by tonydead

Ok, have at D TV for about 6 years.   Haven't been in this thread.   We have ROKU.   What's the best thing for me to do if I want Red Zone and HBO?

On 8/21/2019 at 6:59 PM, Man In The Box said:

PSVue added NHL Network today:thumbup: 

And now ACC Network too.

• Like 1

Hey guys,

I'm looking for some honest feedback on Sling TV. The wife and I just bought a small house near a lake for summer vacation and winter skiing, etc.....we have Xfiniti in our main home and I like it so I'm keeping it the way it is there. However, as XFINITI is expensive, I'm looking for a cheaper way to get some channels and more importantly the sport channels like ESPN, NFL Network and Redzone for that new house. Since we will only be using this house once in a while, I don't want to spend the money there as I spent on XFIniti in my main home.

I'm leaning towards Sling TV and for 35 bucks a month, I can have NFL network and redzone. Any feedback from people using Sling would be great. thanks guys.

4 hours ago, Sasgaard said:

Hey guys,

I'm looking for some honest feedback on Sling TV. The wife and I just bought a small house near a lake for summer vacation and winter skiing, etc.....we have Xfiniti in our main home and I like it so I'm keeping it the way it is there. However, as XFINITI is expensive, I'm looking for a cheaper way to get some channels and more importantly the sport channels like ESPN, NFL Network and Redzone for that new house. Since we will only be using this house once in a while, I don't want to spend the money there as I spent on XFIniti in my main home.

I'm leaning towards Sling TV and for 35 bucks a month, I can have NFL network and redzone. Any feedback from people using Sling would be great. thanks guys.

If you already have xfinity just buy a roku stick, download the xfinity app and stream your service through that.

Edited by The Commish

16 hours ago, tonydead said:

Exhibit A of why I dont loose a millisecond of sleep for watching streams. 

Because you don’t like the price?

seems reasonable 

If you already have xfinity just buy a roku stick, download the xfinity app and stream your service through that.

I thought that Xfiniti forces you to be on your home wifi for many channels including NFL network and although you have an XFiniti subscription, if you are not on your home wifi, these channels will be blocked. Does a roku stick removes this issue?

15 minutes ago, Sasgaard said:

I thought that Xfiniti forces you to be on your home wifi for many channels including NFL network and although you have an XFiniti subscription, if you are not on your home wifi, these channels will be blocked. Does a roku stick removes this issue?

Don't know. I haven't had that problem but my plan might be different?  Can tou watch on your phone or is it limited as you describe?

2 hours ago, The Commish said:

Don't know. I haven't had that problem but my plan might be different?  Can tou watch on your phone or is it limited as you describe?

yeah, if I'm outside of my home, I can only watch the regular channels and also can access the recordings and purchases that are on my DVR but all the additional channels like NFL network, HBO, etc.....are blocked if I'm not on my home wifi. So I don't think Roku is the solution here.

I still haven't heard anyone with feedback on Sling TV? Anyone? Bueller? Anyone?

2 hours ago, Sasgaard said:

yeah, if I'm outside of my home, I can only watch the regular channels and also can access the recordings and purchases that are on my DVR but all the additional channels like NFL network, HBO, etc.....are blocked if I'm not on my home wifi. So I don't think Roku is the solution here.

I still haven't heard anyone with feedback on Sling TV? Anyone? Bueller? Anyone?

My brother has sling though I'm not sure of the specifics.  He loves it.  Many here have suggested it as an option too.  I'd say it's worth exploring how to get the functionality that I have.  I don't know what you pay now, but ours is $120 for internet and 200 channels of TV....150 Mbs speed.  That plan allows me to watch from wherever I want to on any device that has the streaming app on it.

Edited by The Commish

Anyone know why cbs doesn’t have CBS sports network app or allow it to be watched on the CBS sports hq app. I can watch it on phone and iPad app but Apple TV and Roku apps do not include the CBS sports network stream. 

Seriously, take all the problems I have with Xfinity to the Comcast non-cut the cable thread. :lmao:

It's like when all the Eagles fans insist on posting in the Cowboys thread. 

Edited by tonydead

On 8/23/2019 at 8:43 AM, Sasgaard said:

Hey guys,

I tried Sling Blue and Orange and it didn't have Fox regional sports channels and only news network is CNN. So when NBC would put a soccer match on CNBC I was hosed.  Need antenna for local channels. Friendly interface.

Wish I could get the Sunday Ticket but the app tells me I can’t get it in my area despite that I have DirecTVNow. 

I’ve been comparing the NFL GamePass app (US) to to the International version. The US version is a hot mess and lacks a boatload of features (RZC in particular plus locally blacked out games and those on other apps like CBS whatever) that the International version has. Totally worth your time/effort to get the International version imo.

Edited by Osaurus