Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Addai's Adidas

We've cut the cable

1 minute ago, The Commish said:

@matttyl As far as I can see, there isn't anything in the streaming app that isn't wrapped into the X1 box itself.  I see my DVR, I see my favorites everything.

And what devices is this app available on?  firestick would be great, but roku would work, too.  Saves me a $6 per TV rental!

18 minutes ago, matttyl said:

And what devices is this app available on?  firestick would be great, but roku would work, too.  Saves me a $6 per TV rental!

I have the Roku stick +

I think it's probably available on all Roku, but not sure.  It saves on that AND it frees you up to buy your own modem/router if you are renting.

• Like 1

Just now, The Commish said:

I have the Roku stick +

I think it's probably available on all Roku, but not sure.  It saves on that AND it frees you up to buy your own modem/router if you are renting.

I’m already doing that, though.  Why dies this app make any difference?

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, matttyl said:

I’m already doing that, though.  Why dies this app make any difference?

Your own modem/router you mean?  I was told my router wouldn't work even though it met all the criteria.  They had a short list of modems that would work with their wireless boxes.  If you have one, good on ya :thumbup: The app doesn't make a difference, so I can go back to my router and they can't hide behind "incompatible equipment" when it doesn't work.  I've been on with them for a short period of time and experienced all kinds of problems.  It's been quite staggering actually.  It's either them or DTv and I've had it with DTv for a while...between the cost and ####ty equipment and being in Central Florida now, I need a break....had been with them since the late 90s.

Edited by The Commish

6 hours ago, Craig_MiamiFL said:

Just switched my mom to antenna and firestick streaming last week when home. Unbelievable some of the bull#### fees/charges Comcast was assessing her. :lol: Broadcast fee. Some HD fee :lmao: Regional Sports Fee :lmao:. It was $50/mo just in pure bullshlt charges. I really couldn't stop laughing when I read her bill. No clue how she got roped into that considering I don't think she's watched sports in her life. She was locked into a 2 year agreement somehow (though customer for 6+ yrs). Paid her $110 early termination. She's saving $100/mo now.

Cable and Internet was $175/mo and supposedly that was some $40/mo bundle "discount" :lmao: .  She's now paying a total of $75/mo for Internet and Philo/Pluto.

She didn't know she could have paid them an extra $10 a month for six years to avoid that termination fee?:lol:

I'm glad you're laughing about it because I think it's pretty sad the way these companies prey on people. Besides being monopolies. Some of these people should be in jail. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, tonydead said:

She didn't know she could have paid them an extra $10 a month for six years to avoid that termination fee?:lol:

I'm glad you're laughing about it because I think it's pretty sad the way these companies prey on people. Besides being monopolies. Some of these people should be in jail. 

:lol: She had no idea. Apparently work was paying for her internet til last year (through Comcast as well) but then when she had to add it to her existing cable package with Comcast they tacked a 2 year agreement to it. She got roped by someone by having regional sports package :lmao: . She just autopays everything w/o questioning.

I just find it unbelievable that people are paying $200+/mo for internet and TV in 2019.

Edited by Craig_MiamiFL
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, The Commish said:

@matttyl As far as I can see, there isn't anything in the streaming app that isn't wrapped into the X1 box itself.  I see my DVR, I see my favorites everything.

Turns out my rokus are too old for the app.  Now I have to decide if I want to buy a new one just to be able to use it like an x1 box (TVs also have firesticks, which I like more), while the app is free.

1 minute ago, matttyl said:

Turns out my rokus are too old for the app.  Now I have to decide if I want to buy a new one just to be able to use it like an x1 box (TVs also have firesticks, which I like more), while the app is free.

Have you looked to see if your firestick will accept it?  For me, each stick would be paid for within the year and then I have them for other streaming services should I decide to change to something else.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, The Commish said:

Have you looked to see if your firestick will accept it?  For me, each stick would be paid for within the year and then I have them for other streaming services should I decide to change to something else.

There isn't an "official way" to install the app onto a firestick.  I might try to get a roku cheap and give it a shot.  Just hate that I have two older rokus at home and an older chromecast and none of it's being used anymore. 

On 7/24/2019 at 6:48 AM, Craig_MiamiFL said:

I'm always open at looking at options but streaming service options are so affordable and good that don't have to shop around. 

Philo has been awesome for me. On demand/DVR options and only $16/mo. Not a single hiccup since I've started. Quality for me as far exceeded Sling/DTV Now/Vue. Pluto offers a ton of past content for free as well. Along with free YouTube/live streams. 

I use to be a big user of Kodi but havent once loaded it in probably 2 years at this point. There's just so many affordable quality options out there. I tell my family members all the time that they're wasting their money paying $100+/mo for cable while spending maybe a handful of hours/week watching TV.

i'm seeing $20 for Philo, but isn't it also kind of like the Sling $20 or $25 plan, each of which has some sports?  And also gives you the option to change subs at any time to go up or down in channels?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Long Ball Larry said:

i'm seeing $20 for Philo, but isn't it also kind of like the Sling $20 or $25 plan, each of which has some sports?  And also gives you the option to change subs at any time to go up or down in channels?

Yeah Philo went up to $20/mo for new customers back in May I think. Old customers are still getting the service at $16/mo.

Philo isn't a option for sports. I really haven't watched much sports the past couple years so isn't a great inconvenience to me. When I have had any urge to watch sports, (NBA playoffs, NCAA tourney, etc...), I can usually find a free month with alternate services. 

I tried Sling way back when they started so I can't comment on present day but Philo is far and away IMO the best streaming service out of all the ones I've tried (Sling,DTV Now, Vue, Youtube). Has DVR, VOD, and is really simple and clean to navigate. 

Are there any good apps that offer the NFL Network for cord cutters?

8 minutes ago, boilerdave said:

Mobdro ... tons of live and streaming content, all free

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Craig_MiamiFL said:

Yeah Philo went up to $20/mo for new customers back in May I think. Old customers are still getting the service at $16/mo.

Philo isn't a option for sports. I really haven't watched much sports the past couple years so isn't a great inconvenience to me. When I have had any urge to watch sports, (NBA playoffs, NCAA tourney, etc...), I can usually find a free month with alternate services. 

I tried Sling way back when they started so I can't comment on present day but Philo is far and away IMO the best streaming service out of all the ones I've tried (Sling,DTV Now, Vue, Youtube). Has DVR, VOD, and is really simple and clean to navigate. 

So Philo is like Sling or Hulu? What, then, is Pluto?

5 hours ago, boilerdave said:

sling blue has the NFL network

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Uruk-Hai said:

Philo is live TV like Sling/DTV Now/etc...

Pluto is old(er) shows. Believe of Viacom programming (MTV, Comedy Central, etc...) and others. Very good free option IMO. I never have a problem finding something to watch with it

Neither are sports options. I believe Pluto has reruns of the show Skip Bayless& Shannon Sharpe do (I believe). Never watched it but seem to remember seeing it on their guide.

Edited by Craig_MiamiFL

4 hours ago, Uruk-Hai said:

Just go to pluto.tv and watch. It's free, check it out. Not the best in terms of offerings or how they're presented... the ads annoy me the way they are dropped in.

So I'm trying out Sling Orange and Blue and overall it's pretty good but there are some limitations.  I am currently having to switch to antenna for locals since I don't have the antenna to go through my stereo receiver.  Also there are some channels sports wise I can't get. (regional Fox Sports / EPL matches on CNBC etc.)

I was thinking about switching to the Comcast streaming service (over a Fire stick) since I already have their internet and it would be roughly the same price as Sling with more channels. Any thoughts on the actual streaming service itself?  (Not their Roku-like box which I have seen many negative reviews both here and elsewhere). It looks like DVR is limited to 20 hours and the number of streams is limited to 2.

Posted (edited)

Jumping in here.  Have not read through this thread and will go back as needed.

Moving to a new home and looking at streaming services.  With young kids, I'm not looking at anything complicated so will stick with mainstream services.

Considering YouTube TV vs. DirecTV Now vs. Sling. Open to other ideas.

--We have Netflix and Amazon already and will likely keep both

--I don't really care about movie channels or really a whole lot of regular TV.  But want to have something.

--I care about live sports most of all.  Fox Sports, NBC Sports, ESPN, etc.  The more sports options the better in case I want to watch something live on TV.

Want to go with the cheapest option that works decently and has those minimum requirements.  Don't need to pay for extras.

If I need to go back and read through certain spots or posts, please direct me in that direction.

ETA -- I have 3 firesticks (2 newer) and an Xbox One.

Edited by gianmarco

5 hours ago, JaxBill said:

So I'm trying out Sling Orange and Blue and overall it's pretty good but there are some limitations.  I am currently having to switch to antenna for locals since I don't have the antenna to go through my stereo receiver.  Also there are some channels sports wise I can't get. (regional Fox Sports / EPL matches on CNBC etc.)

I was thinking about switching to the Comcast streaming service (over a Fire stick) since I already have their internet and it would be roughly the same price as Sling with more channels. Any thoughts on the actual streaming service itself?  (Not their Roku-like box which I have seen many negative reviews both here and elsewhere). It looks like DVR is limited to 20 hours and the number of streams is limited to 2.

Have you looked into youtubetv it will have most of your local channels if not all.  Have plenty of sports channels.  What sold me on them is they broadcast every OCSC game(Im a glutten for punishment).  Was able to watch Premier and Bundesliga games.  Unlimited DVR.  50 bucks a month.  I really like it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, gianmarco said:

Moving to a new home and looking at streaming services.  With young kids, I'm not looking at anything complicated so will stick with mainstream services.

--I don't really care about movie channels or really a whole lot of regular TV.  But want to have something.

--I care about live sports most of all.  Fox Sports, NBC Sports, ESPN, etc.  The more sports options the better in case I want to watch something live on TV.

Want to go with the cheapest option that works decently and has those minimum requirements.  Don't need to pay for extras.

If I need to go back and read through certain spots or posts, please direct me in that direction.

Try youtube tv see post above.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, rustycolts said:

Try youtube tv see post above.

Yeah, that's what I was leaning. And a free Roku to boot.

Interface works well? Nothing missing?

2 minutes ago, gianmarco said:

Yeah, that's what I was leaning. And a free Roku to boot.

Interface works well? Nothing missing?

Works great for me.  It has a live guide which I like and it's not complicated which makes it easier for the wife and I as we are slow adapters to technology.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, rustycolts said:

Have you looked into youtubetv it will have most of your local channels if not all.  Have plenty of sports channels.  What sold me on them is they broadcast every OCSC game(Im a glutten for punishment).  Was able to watch Premier and Bundesliga games.  Unlimited DVR.  50 bucks a month.  I really like it.

Thanks. I'm not seeing NFLN, NHLN, or Red Zone. 

13 hours ago, gianmarco said:

Sports was a big thing for me too and I ended up with VUE.  It has all the ESPNs plus some good regional ESPN college coverage as well.  Also has NFL Network, Big Ten Network, SEC Network and MLB Network.

• Like 2

Some good and timely info.

I was about to pull the trigger on Sling Blue+Orange.

youtubetv won’t work for me if no NFLN.

Will checkout VUE.

Vue has been my choice for a while because of NFL network. Would like to try Hulu or Youtube TV, but no NFL network is a no go for me.  Vue is more expensive than sling, but in my experience it has a much better picture than sling and is way more stable than DTV now.

I got rid of DirecTV this year after 25 years and chose PS Vue. I’m very pleased with the service. 

It costs more than the other options but is still way less than DTV. The picture is a little bit worse than DTV but I got used to it in one day. I assume that it’ll only get better. First year without NFL Sunday Ticket though. 

• Like 1

With Uverse no longer offering NFL Network and the Redzone I'm looking into options. For comparison Comcast Xfinity 3 TV's and internet with NFL Network and Redzone will cost about $130 a month.

It looks like PS Vue is the only streaming service that offers the must haves for us. Core + sports pack will give us live sports on all major networks, ESPN, NFL Network, Redzone, plus all the main basic cable channels for the wife.

We will need this for 3 TV's in the same house, do we need 3 separate devices? Which device is recommended? Our son has a playstation but otherwise we do not have any other compatible device.

PS Vue with the sports pack will cost $65 a month, then add internet approx $50 a month for a total of $115 a month. Does not seem worth it compared to $130 a month for Comcast Xfinity TV internet package. Did I miss something?

14 hours ago, snellman said:

Vue has been my choice for a while because of NFL network. Would like to try Hulu or Youtube TV, but no NFL network is a no go for me.  Vue is more expensive than sling, but in my experience it has a much better picture than sling and is way more stable than DTV now.

NFL per another thread

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Walking Boot said:

Know if they have redzone on Sundays? 

No clue. I just found this today and am passing along the info. 

17 hours ago, dmac37 said:

With Uverse no longer offering NFL Network and the Redzone I'm looking into options. For comparison Comcast Xfinity 3 TV's and internet with NFL Network and Redzone will cost about $130 a month.

It looks like PS Vue is the only streaming service that offers the must haves for us. Core + sports pack will give us live sports on all major networks, ESPN, NFL Network, Redzone, plus all the main basic cable channels for the wife.

We will need this for 3 TV's in the same house, do we need 3 separate devices? Which device is recommended? Our son has a playstation but otherwise we do not have any other compatible device.

PS Vue with the sports pack will cost $65 a month, then add internet approx $50 a month for a total of $115 a month. Does not seem worth it compared to $130 a month for Comcast Xfinity TV internet package. Did I miss something?

The big something is the cost after the initial price deal. I’ve got Spectrum for Internet and Phone and it went up after the first 12 months. Looks like Xfinity holds the $130 price for 2 years.

I’d rather save the $15 a month (and more in 2 years) and get 3 Firesticks. Not only do I think you’ll like it better, but you can watch Netflix, Amazon Prime, your Internet TV choice, Hulu and HBO (I get free from AT&T), etc. on one interface. The other really nice option since we travel a decent amount is that I can take my Firestick with me and plug it in to a hotel or condo TV and it all works. Some places have Smart TVs but it’s much nicer to not have to login and jump around.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Walking Boot said:
7 hours ago, dorno said:

Know if they have redzone on Sundays? 

The Reddit thread always had a Redzone stream, so probably.

On 8/14/2019 at 11:01 PM, dmac37 said:

Which device is recommended? 

I'm also interested in knowing this for VUE.

my 1st time in this thread and complete newbie as the place im staying in cut the cable so here I am 

In Canada if that makes a difference 

I went out and got roku today 
I am amazon prime member so have that all ready 
signed up for the 30 day free trial of Netflix but want to get the US version -
I see ton of free versions for movies on roku 

going to sign up for DAZN for 150 for a year -- that include nfl , mlb ,soccer , bellator , just missing hockey 

my questions 
can I get a vpn and sign up for the US Netflix
Is there a way to watch cable shows for free or do I have to pay a subscription 

that's all I got for now

thanks for any help 

Just got an email that PSVue that they are moving Destination America, Science channel, and FX+ to a higher tier so starting next month you get to pay $10 more each month if you want to watch those channels.   Usually there is a trade off but not this time.

I think we are quickly getting to the point where we wake up and the real value of streaming is gone.   It used to be that we really saved money cutting cable but now with everyone creeping up their prices, we are just sitting the payouts to 2-3 places and it's coming out as a push. The only the way to save money now is to truly sacrifice and give up something.

20 minutes ago, Shutout said:

Just got an email that PSVue that they are moving Destination America, Science channel, and FX+ to a higher tier so starting next month you get to pay $10 more each month if you want to watch those channels.   Usually there is a trade off but not this time.

I think we are quickly getting to the point where we wake up and the real value of streaming is gone.   It used to be that we really saved money cutting cable but now with everyone creeping up their prices, we are just sitting the payouts to 2-3 places and it's coming out as a push. The only the way to save money now is to truly sacrifice and give up something.

For sure. I wish we still had the iTunes model, with the option of just buying an episode of something for a buck or two apiece a la carte. Even as a backstop option to subscribing to a streaming service. Now it's all bundled up again. 

Not sure if mentioned yet, but PBS stations coming to YoutubeTV later this year.

• Like 1

I'd been with DirecTV since 2002.  I was paying around $100 with all my credits that recently expired and my bill went up to $150...which is insane, since I didn't even have any movie channels.  The charges were ridiculous.  $20 for hd on 2 receivers, $8 for regional sports, $7 for tv access?  WTH is that lol

I tried free trials of Hulu+live and Sling.  Ended up going with Sling Orange+Blue with the total tv deal.  Which includes golf channel...a must for me, redzone(NFL is in the blue package), MLB, NBA, NHL, some kids channels, DIY, 50 hours for recordings)  Also bought a $25 antenna for the locals.  Only thing I'm missing is STO to watch the Indians.  Bill is $62

Another bonus for me was clearing out equipment.  I still have a 10 year old non smart plasma tv.  So I messed around with my kids Xbox one that I previously had never touched.  I had no clue this thing pretty much did everything lol.  Now I just have my home theater receiver and the Xbox.

Double bonus....I got Amazon prime 4-5 years ago mainly for the free shipping and music.  Other than getting a free HBO trial to binge a few seasons of GOT, I rarely used it.  Recently watched The Boys and the 1st seasons of Sneaky Pete and Goliath.  I have plenty to watch now haha

I can't remember the site, but if you Google sling vs Hulu etc...it has an up to date list of channels available on each streaming service.

My experience with Xfinity streaming-

- channel coverage has been excellent.  Regional Fox sports and local channels included. Big Ten network in Sports a d Entertainment package.

- picture has been wonderful. Like good enough that I won't be able to convince the wife I need to upgrade the 10 year old TV

- DOES NOT WORK WITH FIRESTICK. PERIOD. FULL STOP. I ended up buying 2 Roku sticks. Very easy install.

- limited to 2 streams. Unless you have set top box then you can have 5 streams.

- other limitations include 20 hours DVR time. Most shows are a available on demand following day though.

I was already paying 75 for internet. Now paying 148 for internet + 220 channels + sports entertainment package + fees and taxes.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, waiver wire said:

is this on roku 

I’m not sure what this means. Are you asking if PSVue is available on a Roku device? 

Edited by Man In The Box

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, JaxBill said:

- channel coverage has been excellent.  Regional Fox sports and local channels included. Big Ten network in Sports a d Entertainment package.

- picture has been wonderful. Like good enough that I won't be able to convince the wife I need to upgrade the 10 year old TV

- DOES NOT WORK WITH FIRESTICK. PERIOD. FULL STOP. I ended up buying 2 Roku sticks. Very easy install.

- limited to 2 streams. Unless you have set top box then you can have 5 streams.

- other limitations include 20 hours DVR time. Most shows are a available on demand following day though.

I was already paying 75 for internet. Now paying 148 for internet + 220 channels + sports entertainment package + fees and taxes.

So the Xfinity streaming is an extension of their internet? And they control what you can access?  Plugging a firestick with a VPN into a seperate HDMI port is blocked via their modem/router. Is that how the full stop works (or doesn't, i guess)?

Edit: I was looking for the answer and came across this: How do download Xfinity Stream on a firestick. Don't know if this is a sideload thing or a workaround.

Edited by simsarge

43 minutes ago, simsarge said:

So the Xfinity streaming is an extension of their internet? And they control what you can access?  Plugging a firestick with a VPN into a seperate HDMI port is blocked via their modem/router. Is that how the full stop works (or doesn't, i guess)?

Edit: I was looking for the answer and came across this: How do download Xfinity Stream on a firestick. Don't know if this is a sideload thing or a workaround.

The Xfinity stream app is not a available for firestick (at least not on a search on my firestick). I tried using a browser (Firefox) on Firestick and logged into Xfinity website and tried to stream. received  error about incompatible OS. I called xfinity support that flatly said the app does not support firestick. At that point I gave up and bought Roku.

Xfinity app (beta) works fine on Roku and is readily available. 

I didn't try any sideloading.

I've also hit the no Xfinity streaming on a firestick issue.  There could be a workaround, and I'm pretty tech savvy, but it just doesn't work.  Wanted to find a way to stream stuff recorded on living room DVR on the bedroom TV.  Will have to buy Roku to make it work - but would replace the Xfinity box in bedroom that I'm paying ~$6 a month for.  Also, app is in beta right now and they could theoretically start charging for it (and they could also make it work with a firestick). 

2 hours ago, JaxBill said:

This has been my experience as well.  And I now have a couple rokus if I choose to go elsewhere.  If on the X1 platform, I think there is opportunity for improvement in their equipment, but if they can manage to get their #### together, it would be a really good platform (something I never thought I'd say of a cable company).  Their customer service is scripted and predictable.  I wish there was a way to bypass all the song and dance and get to the people who can actually help.

6 minutes ago, The Commish said:

This has been my experience as well.  And I now have a couple rokus if I choose to go elsewhere.  If on the X1 platform, I think there is opportunity for improvement in their equipment, but if they can manage to get their #### together, it would be a really good platform (something I never thought I'd say of a cable company).  Their customer service is scripted and predictable.  I wish there was a way to bypass all the song and dance and get to the people who can actually help.

My biggest peeve is the guide is clunky and their numbering system terrible.  When you first go into guide, they're numbered like you're scrolling thru a cable like 2 to 220. You pick a show show and watch. You go back to guide to watch something else and now you're at 1410 surrounded by 15 cspan channels.

There's no way to group your favorite channels like Sling. Using the Roku remote there's no way to flip to previous channel. I'll have to see if my Harminy remote can improve that.