Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Addai's Adidas

We've cut the cable

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, JaxBill said:

My biggest peeve is the guide is clunky and their numbering system terrible.  When you first go into guide, they're numbered like you're scrolling thru a cable like 2 to 220. You pick a show show and watch. You go back to guide to watch something else and now you're at 1410 surrounded by 15 cspan channels.

There's no way to group your favorite channels like Sling. Using the Roku remote there's no way to flip to previous channel. I'll have to see if my Harminy remote can improve that.

I use the "favorite channels" view most of the time.  Numbering is weird.  For locals, I have a 6, 436, 1006....all the same channel.  Dosen't make sense.

ETA:  On my Roku, if I hit the down arrow while on the channel a menu pops up on the bottom of the screen and there's a "last viewed" button (or something similar) on the left side.  I highlight that and it brings up the last 6-7 channels I viewed and even lists what is playing on the channel at that moment.

Edited by The Commish

1 hour ago, The Commish said:

This has been my experience as well.  And I now have a couple rokus if I choose to go elsewhere.  If on the X1 platform, I think there is opportunity for improvement in their equipment, but if they can manage to get their #### together, it would be a really good platform (something I never thought I'd say of a cable company).  Their customer service is scripted and predictable.  I wish there was a way to bypass all the song and dance and get to the people who can actually help.

No NFLN, Red Zone or ability to back door them or Reddit games is a deal killer for me. At least until January 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, simsarge said:

No NFLN, Red Zone or ability to back door them or Reddit games is a deal killer for me. At least until January 

Xfinity has NFL network :mellow:  I don't know about the rest

Xfinity has NFL network :mellow:  I don't know about the rest

Xfinity has RedZone but you have to add Sports and Entertainment package.

Posted (edited)

I''ve cut Netflix & HBO. That'll leave me with Prime (which I'd have anyway) and Hulu Live. I just don't watch enough TV to have several streaming services.

Right now I have a bundle with an extremely-basic cable package, 25Mbps internet, and a land line (which I've never plugged a receiver into and also have no idea what the number is). I've been getting invoice-creep the last 3 years for the bundle (up to $147/mo now). With Hulu, HBO, and Netflix added I was paying something like $220/month. Too much for my meager habits.

I can get 50 Mbps internet for $65 with no data cap, which will total me at around $115/month when added with Hulu Live (which gives me DC locals NBC, CBS, & Fox - I think I can get the more local ABC out of Harrisonburg OTA) and Prime.

Edited by Uruk-Hai

1 hour ago, Uruk-Hai said:

I''ve cut Netflix & HBO. That'll leave me with Prime (which I'd have anyway) and Hulu Live. I just don't watch enough TV to have several streaming services.

Right now I have a bundle with an extremely-basic cable package, 25Mbps internet, and a land line (which I've never plugged a receiver into and also have no idea what the number is). I've been getting invoice-creep the last 3 years for the bundle (up to $147/mo now). With Hulu, HBO, and Netflix added I was paying something like $220/month. Too much for my meager habits.

I can get 50 Mbps internet for $65 with no data cap, which will total me at around $115/month when added with Hulu Live (which gives me DC locals NBC, CBS, & Fox - I think I can get the more local ABC out of Harrisonburg OTA) and Prime.

damn, I pay 49 a month for 250 mbps no cap, then pay 5.00 a month for my iptv subscription. Att gives me some free streaming via ATT watch tv and it includes free HBO for 1 year. I have amazon prime so between that and the free ATT stuff I'm covered for entertainment and then use the iptv (currently KS Hosting) for all of my sports needs. I'm in the California Bay Area for perspective. :shrug:

On 8/16/2019 at 8:32 PM, waiver wire said:

can I get a vpn and sign up for the US Netflix

disclaimer: I haven't tried this so can't vouch for it, but they say it's possible: https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/vpns-still-work-netflix/

9 minutes ago, CGRdrJoe said:

damn, I pay 49 a month for 250 mbps no cap, then pay 5.00 a month for my iptv subscription. Att gives me some free streaming via ATT watch tv and it includes free HBO for 1 year. I have amazon prime so between that and the free ATT stuff I'm covered for entertainment and then use the iptv (currently KS Hosting) for all of my sports needs. I'm in the California Bay Area for perspective. :shrug:

I don't have many of those options where I live - the mountains of western VA . I don't know what IPTV is or if it's something I could do.

The download speed doesn't bother me, as I live alone and and don't need a ton of speed - at most, I have music streaming along with maybe a muted game. 

8 minutes ago, Uruk-Hai said:

I don't have many of those options where I live - the mountains of western VA . I don't know what IPTV is or if it's something I could do.

The download speed doesn't bother me, as I live alone and and don't need a ton of speed - at most, I have music streaming along with maybe a muted game. 

I didn't have a clue till recently following some of @icon's posts in another thread. Google troypoint iptv if you are interested, the guides are very simple and I had my firestick set up in less than 20 minutes with tons of free streaming options plus my iptv (internet protocol television).

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, arctic_panzer_wolf said:

I'd been with DirecTV since 2002.  I was paying around $100 with all my credits that recently expired and my bill went up to $150...which is insane, since I didn't even have any movie channels.  The charges were ridiculous.  $20 for hd on 2 receivers, $8 for regional sports, $7 for tv access?  WTH is that lol

I tried free trials of Hulu+live and Sling.  Ended up going with Sling Orange+Blue with the total tv deal.  Which includes golf channel...a must for me, redzone(NFL is in the blue package), MLB, NBA, NHL, some kids channels, DIY, 50 hours for recordings)  Also bought a $25 antenna for the locals.  Only thing I'm missing is STO to watch the Indians.  Bill is $62

Another bonus for me was clearing out equipment.  I still have a 10 year old non smart plasma tv.  So I messed around with my kids Xbox one that I previously had never touched.  I had no clue this thing pretty much did everything lol.  Now I just have my home theater receiver and the Xbox.

Double bonus....I got Amazon prime 4-5 years ago mainly for the free shipping and music.  Other than getting a free HBO trial to binge a few seasons of GOT, I rarely used it.  Recently watched The Boys and the 1st seasons of Sneaky Pete and Goliath.  I have plenty to watch now haha

I can't remember the site, but if you Google sling vs Hulu etc...it has an up to date list of channels available on each streaming service.

Sorry, dont mean to laugh but they dont even make standard definition TV anymore. :lmao:

ETA: I pass everything through my xbox, including my HTPC. 

Edited by tonydead

Ok, have at D TV for about 6 years.   Haven't been in this thread.   We have ROKU.   What's the best thing for me to do if I want Red Zone and HBO?

On 8/21/2019 at 6:59 PM, Man In The Box said:

PSVue added NHL Network today:thumbup: 

And now ACC Network too.

• Like 1

Hey guys,

I'm looking for some honest feedback on Sling TV. The wife and I just bought a small house near a lake for summer vacation and winter skiing, etc.....we have Xfiniti in our main home and I like it so I'm keeping it the way it is there. However, as XFINITI is expensive, I'm looking for a cheaper way to get some channels and more importantly the sport channels like ESPN, NFL Network and Redzone for that new house. Since we will only be using this house once in a while, I don't want to spend the money there as I spent on XFIniti in my main home.

I'm leaning towards Sling TV and for 35 bucks a month, I can have NFL network and redzone. Any feedback from people using Sling would be great. thanks guys.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Sasgaard said:

Hey guys,

I'm looking for some honest feedback on Sling TV. The wife and I just bought a small house near a lake for summer vacation and winter skiing, etc.....we have Xfiniti in our main home and I like it so I'm keeping it the way it is there. However, as XFINITI is expensive, I'm looking for a cheaper way to get some channels and more importantly the sport channels like ESPN, NFL Network and Redzone for that new house. Since we will only be using this house once in a while, I don't want to spend the money there as I spent on XFIniti in my main home.

I'm leaning towards Sling TV and for 35 bucks a month, I can have NFL network and redzone. Any feedback from people using Sling would be great. thanks guys.

If you already have xfinity just buy a roku stick, download the xfinity app and stream your service through that.

Edited by The Commish

16 hours ago, tonydead said:

Exhibit A of why I dont loose a millisecond of sleep for watching streams. 

Because you don’t like the price?

seems reasonable 

If you already have xfinity just buy a roku stick, download the xfinity app and stream your service through that.

I thought that Xfiniti forces you to be on your home wifi for many channels including NFL network and although you have an XFiniti subscription, if you are not on your home wifi, these channels will be blocked. Does a roku stick removes this issue?

15 minutes ago, Sasgaard said:

I thought that Xfiniti forces you to be on your home wifi for many channels including NFL network and although you have an XFiniti subscription, if you are not on your home wifi, these channels will be blocked. Does a roku stick removes this issue?

Don't know. I haven't had that problem but my plan might be different?  Can tou watch on your phone or is it limited as you describe?

2 hours ago, The Commish said:

Don't know. I haven't had that problem but my plan might be different?  Can tou watch on your phone or is it limited as you describe?

yeah, if I'm outside of my home, I can only watch the regular channels and also can access the recordings and purchases that are on my DVR but all the additional channels like NFL network, HBO, etc.....are blocked if I'm not on my home wifi. So I don't think Roku is the solution here.

I still haven't heard anyone with feedback on Sling TV? Anyone? Bueller? Anyone?

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Sasgaard said:

yeah, if I'm outside of my home, I can only watch the regular channels and also can access the recordings and purchases that are on my DVR but all the additional channels like NFL network, HBO, etc.....are blocked if I'm not on my home wifi. So I don't think Roku is the solution here.

I still haven't heard anyone with feedback on Sling TV? Anyone? Bueller? Anyone?

My brother has sling though I'm not sure of the specifics.  He loves it.  Many here have suggested it as an option too.  I'd say it's worth exploring how to get the functionality that I have.  I don't know what you pay now, but ours is $120 for internet and 200 channels of TV....150 Mbs speed.  That plan allows me to watch from wherever I want to on any device that has the streaming app on it.

Edited by The Commish

Anyone know why cbs doesn’t have CBS sports network app or allow it to be watched on the CBS sports hq app. I can watch it on phone and iPad app but Apple TV and Roku apps do not include the CBS sports network stream. 

Posted (edited)

Seriously, take all the problems I have with Xfinity to the Comcast non-cut the cable thread. :lmao:

It's like when all the Eagles fans insist on posting in the Cowboys thread. 

Edited by tonydead

On 8/23/2019 at 8:43 AM, Sasgaard said:

Hey guys,

I tried Sling Blue and Orange and it didn't have Fox regional sports channels and only news network is CNN. So when NBC would put a soccer match on CNBC I was hosed.  Need antenna for local channels. Friendly interface.

Wish I could get the Sunday Ticket but the app tells me I can’t get it in my area despite that I have DirecTVNow. 

Posted (edited)

I’ve been comparing the NFL GamePass app (US) to to the International version. The US version is a hot mess and lacks a boatload of features (RZC in particular plus locally blacked out games and those on other apps like CBS whatever) that the International version has. Totally worth your time/effort to get the International version imo.

Edited by Osaurus

1 hour ago, Osaurus said:

I’ve been comparing the NFL GamePass app (US) to to the International version. The US version is a hot mess and lacks a boatload of features (RZC in particular plus locally blacked out games and those on other apps like CBS whatever) that the International version has. Totally worth your time/effort to get the International version imo.

How does one do that?

17 minutes ago, Otis said:

How does one do that?

1. You have to get the app from the Google/Apple international app library.

2. Figure out the country with the cheapest service

3. Sign up with NFL and use an address from chosen country

4. Pay for service

5. Sign into VPN (you need this) and pick the country before opening GamePass International app

6. Open app and cast to your heart’s delight (depending on how you cast, you might need the VPN app on device you’re streaming to)

• Like 2

On 8/24/2019 at 2:48 PM, Otis said:

Wish I could get the Sunday Ticket but the app tells me I can’t get it in my area despite that I have DirecTVNow. 

Nflbite dot com. Click your team's helmet at game time. Pick which stream you want. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, tonydead said:

Nflbite dot com. Click your team's helmet at game time. Pick which stream you want. 

Nice. Looks like a good website. Have you used it in the past? Are the streams good quality or do they not work/time out? I've been looking for a site like this....

I currently play $179.00 for Internet and Xfininty cable. The cable includes Starz, but no premium channels like HBO or Showtime.

I would love to leave cable with Xfinity, but want all the bells and whistles if I can get them.

I don't pay for, but have access to Nextflix and Amazon Prime so that's a good start. From there, I need my local sports for baseball and need TNT/NFL Channel and the local stations (NBC, FOX, CBS). I don't need a ton outside of that, but obviously want as much as I can get.

What's the best way to go about finding the best service that lowers my overall bill but gets more value?

9 hours ago, cubd8 said:

Nice. Looks like a good website. Have you used it in the past? Are the streams good quality or do they not work/time out? I've been looking for a site like this....

Its new this year. It's all the same streams you can find on reddit. The same guys set it up in anticipation of the reddit thread getting taken down like the NBA and UFC ones did. 

9 hours ago, cubd8 said:

I currently play $179.00 for Internet and Xfininty cable. The cable includes Starz, but no premium channels like HBO or Showtime.

I would love to leave cable with Xfinity, but want all the bells and whistles if I can get them.

I don't pay for, but have access to Nextflix and Amazon Prime so that's a good start. From there, I need my local sports for baseball and need TNT/NFL Channel and the local stations (NBC, FOX, CBS). I don't need a ton outside of that, but obviously want as much as I can get.

What's the best way to go about finding the best service that lowers my overall bill but gets more value?

I pay $0 for cable TV and I can watch whatever I want. 

1- OTA antenna picks up live locals and a bunch more. 

2- Cinema android app for TV shows and movies. The most popular shows are usually available within an hour after air time. 

3- reddit or nflbite for live NFL.   

• Like 1

11 hours ago, tonydead said:

I pay $0 for cable TV and I can watch whatever I want. 

1- OTA antenna picks up live locals and a bunch more. 

2- Cinema android app for TV shows and movies. The most popular shows are usually available within an hour after air time. 

What is the name of that app? I can download this app on my android?

Any OTA antenna you recommend?

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, cubd8 said:

Cinema apk  for easy install try here. https://troypoint.com/cinema-apk/

Edited by rustycolts
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, cubd8 said:

thanks, does this give yo hbo for free? what shows are do you get with it? 

Yep anything really that has been or is currently on just search name of show.  I'm watching Game of Thrones now I'm a late comer to that show.

You can also view just about any movie you can think of.  I use Cinema more than Netflix or YoutubeTv.  Actually you can watch anything that is on Netflix on Cinema

Edited by rustycolts

44 minutes ago, cubd8 said:

Depends on where you are and how strong the signals are. Use tvfool.com to check your signal and it will recommend a type of antenna. If you only need an indoor antenna a lot of people like the Mohu Leaf products. I'm a bit far aways so I went with the best roof mount, Winegard HD8200. 

31 minutes ago, cubd8 said:

thanks, does this give yo hbo for free? what shows are do you get with it? 

Any popular TV show that has already aired, including Netflix HBO etc.  Any movie that is out on DVD or leaked ahead of time.  

35 minutes ago, rustycolts said:

Yep anything really that has been or is currently on just search name of show.  I'm watching Game of Thrones now I'm a late comer to that show.

You can also view just about any movie you can think of.  I use Cinema more than Netflix or YoutubeTv.  Actually you can watch anything that is on Netflix on Cinema

I use Cinema for stuff on Prime because I usually dont realize what platform it is from until I've already fired up the episode. 

On 8/27/2019 at 8:58 AM, tonydead said:

Reddit stream is watchable on computer only? I connected to the tv with an HDMI, but got no signal. It usually swaps automatically

NFLbite wants me to sign up. Legit?

thx

1 minute ago, simsarge said:

Reddit stream is watchable on computer only? I connected to the tv with an HDMI, but got no signal. It usually swaps automatically

NFLbite wants me to sign up. Legit?

thx

Where does it ask you to sign up, after you click on a stream play button?  If so, that's just a redirect pop up, close that and go back to the play button. You dont have to sign up for anything. 

Either should play fine in a browser on any device.  

First link I clicked on nflbite worked just fine (NBC feed).  Chrome browser on Galaxy Tab tablet.  

On a chromebook, the first Reddit stream is good to go. Same for nflbite after bypassing that popup. Any suggestions on porting to the tv?

3 minutes ago, simsarge said:

On a chromebook, the first Reddit stream is good to go. Same for nflbite after bypassing that popup. Any suggestions on porting to the tv?

I use my HTPC or Firestick already connected to the TV. Not sure what outputs the chromebooks have but something like a mini hdmi to hdmi cable would work. I'm not familiar with how to chromecast, but, I hear people say they do that. 

6 minutes ago, tonydead said:

I use my HTPC or Firestick already connected to the TV. Not sure what outputs the chromebooks have but something like a mini hdmi to hdmi cable would work. I'm not familiar with how to chromecast, but, I hear people say they do that. 

No HTPC, but when I tried my firestick earlier, using the Downloader App, selecting the helmet in nflbite, got me nothing, Are you accessing it differently?

10 minutes ago, simsarge said:

No HTPC, but when I tried my firestick earlier, using the Downloader App, selecting the helmet in nflbite, got me nothing, Are you accessing it differently?

Download a browser like firefox from the Amazon store.  Go to nflbite.com in the browser. Downloader isn't a fully functional browser, I dont think.  

ETA: I think I've even used Silk (Amazons browser) before. 

Edited by tonydead

I just tried the Silk browser and was able to get a reddit stream to work. It's a bit of a pain to get past the pop ups. 

Note: the nflbite stream links disappear shortly after half time so you'll have to get on before then.  

Fyi for those looking for ACC Network. YouTube TV has THREE week free preview this weekend.

• Like 1