Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Addai's Adidas

We've cut the cable

Need an I'm addicted and will never cut the cable thread. 

I've got DirecTV Xtra with HBO, Netflix, Hulu, Prime Video, DC Universe, and will be adding Disney +.

It all adds up but I don't mind paying for entertainment.

I'm on DirecTVNow/ATTNow.  Any way I can get the Red Zone channel?  I see it's not on here.  Is there an app or something?  Hell, I'd pay for the full NFL Sunday Ticket, but the website says it's not available over the app in my area.  Super annoying.

Any legal/full pay options for me?

Any free options?

TIA

59 minutes ago, Otis said:

I'm on DirecTVNow/ATTNow.  Any way I can get the Red Zone channel?  I see it's not on here.  Is there an app or something?  Hell, I'd pay for the full NFL Sunday Ticket, but the website says it's not available over the app in my area.  Super annoying.

Any free options?

TIA

NFL GamePass International has it as do a couple of other non-NFL services. Reddit might have it somewhere too, but I don’t know.

1 hour ago, Otis said:

Any free options?

TIA

Enroll in college, then sign up for student access online 

Anyone try the SportzTV app for today's games? I was out all d day and couldn't check 

On 9/8/2019 at 4:09 AM, Otis said:

Any free options?

TIA

1-  Put a giant antiquated satellite dish on your roof so you can pay Directv.  (It is super annoying that Directv is doing everything it can to keep people on this old monopolistic technology).

2-  Sling TV, FuboTV, and Playstation Vue have Red Zone. (For 34.99 a month for 4 months ($140) you could get NFL Network and RedZone from Sling TV.  Plus the other channels the package comes with.)

3-  Find someone in college to lend you their credentials. (NFL Ticket for around $100)

4- VPN your IP address outside of North America and buy it directly from NFL.com (Full NFL Ticket without any of the North America restrictions for around $130-$140).

5- Stream for free from reddit or nflbite.  (Free, free, free, :moneybag:)

• Thanks 1

Legality of the 5 choices above:

1- Illegal.  By definition a monopoly is when a company has exclusive control over a good or service in a particular market.  In North America, Directv is the only choice for NFL Sunday Ticket.

2- Perfectly legal as far as I can tell.

3- I'm sure it violates some of the terms and agreements, but, see #1.

4- I don't think there is anything illegal about doing it this way.  The NFL still gets their cut and they accept your credit card that has a US address attached to it.  I think the NFL is happy to have this loophole in the contract they have with Directv.

5- 50-50.  To date it is not illegal to watch a stream and no case law exists where anyone has ever been prosecuted.  There is little doubt, however, that the websites that broadcast the streams are illegal.  

On 9/7/2019 at 9:33 AM, cap'n grunge said:

Need an I'm addicted and will never cut the cable thread. 

I've got DirecTV Xtra with HBO, Netflix, Hulu, Prime Video, DC Universe, and will be adding Disney +.

It all adds up but I don't mind paying for entertainment.

You know there is already, I'm assuming you came to post this just to make yourself feel better?  

Can't log in to Directv.

Zero effort made to keep me

They even made it a bigger hassle

My saga continues

Based on these stories, and other reasons, I'll be cancelling my DirecTV later this year

I'm going to have a controlled burn around my dish and get rid of it that way.

Satellite not working

Packing up all my equipment and sending it back today

Still can't redeem my GC

Will also be glad when the ST contract runs out for these clowns

I did end up dropping direc tv due to all their nonsense

:lol:  Comments just from the last page alone.  Horrible and completely unnecessary experience.  

8 hours ago, tonydead said:

1-  Put a giant antiquated satellite dish on your roof so you can pay Directv.  (It is super annoying that Directv is doing everything it can to keep people on this old monopolistic technology).

2-  Sling TV, FuboTV, and Playstation Vue have Red Zone. (For 34.99 a month for 4 months ($140) you could get NFL Network and RedZone from Sling TV.  Plus the other channels the package comes with.)

3-  Find someone in college to lend you their credentials. (NFL Ticket for around $100)

4- VPN your IP address outside of North America and buy it directly from NFL.com (Full NFL Ticket without any of the North America restrictions for around $130-$140).

5- Stream for free from reddit or nflbite.  (Free, free, free, :moneybag:)

My favorite option (other than SFU)

• Like 1

Since HULU doesn't have NFL Network, what are my options for watching this channel?

3 hours ago, ChiefD said:

Since HULU doesn't have NFL Network, what are my options for watching this channel?

Do you have Amazon Prime? I switched to Hulu but I have Prime so I knew I could watch the game on Prime.

31 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Do you have Amazon Prime? I switched to Hulu but I have Prime so I knew I could watch the game on Prime.

No, we don’t. I looked at that possibility but didn’t want to spend the dough.

Ended up signing up for the trial period of Sling and paid for a month. Been wanting to check it out anyway to compare to hulu, so it cost me $25 for the test.

30 minutes ago, rustycolts said:

NFLbite worked for me last night.

I’ve tried SFU for the past few weeks, but I keep having buffering issues. I have better luck with streams from NFLbite.

• Like 1

Man the streaming world has changed so much over the last couple of years. I'd been using Sling and OTA antennas for the last 6 years. 

Been pretty happy with it, so I ignored the landscape over the last few years, but Sling raised it's price, and the local CBS tower is being rebuilt and acting up (right at the start of football season).

I think I'd be plenty happy with any of the major streamers, but went with YouTubeTV. So awesome. Heck I really didn't even know that locals had become the norm on the major streamers. And it took about 3 clicks to set up the unlimited DVR to record all the NFL and sports I may want watch (I haven't had any DVR at all in 6 years).

But the very best part of streaming services.......after 6 years, it took less than 5 minutes to cancel Sling. For the rest of my life, I'm going to everything I can to avoid any arrangement that requires talking to a human being to get out of. I remember the days of dealing with DirecTV and cable companies trying end or adjust contracts. So miserable. 

• Like 3

Been following along in here for a while, finally got rid of directv. Have a Firestick for each tv in the house, each have cinema, Netflix,  and I have been casting nflbite site the last two weeks. I have YouTube tv trial.  I am looking to get a quick, easy Kodi style install for live tv/sports/ticket etc. I’ve done Kodi and it was a pain to set up and explain to my wife and kids.  I know troypoint has a bunch listed but  Is there a recommended .apk ?? App that:

is easy to install (cinema easy)

can work on multiple firesticks

easy guide for kids/wife

has live sports/nfl/yes/ncaa b-ball

i dont mind paying a monthly fee if it’s easy to use  and has minimal buffering  

Edited by phowler13

13 hours ago, phowler13 said:

Been following along in here for a while, finally got rid of directv. Have a Firestick for each tv in the house, each have cinema, Netflix,  and I have been casting nflbite site the last two weeks. I have YouTube tv trial.  I am looking to get a quick, easy Kodi style install for live tv/sports/ticket etc. I’ve done Kodi and it was a pain to set up and explain to my wife and kids.  I know troypoint has a bunch listed but  Is there a recommended .apk ?? App that:

is easy to install (cinema easy)

can work on multiple firesticks

easy guide for kids/wife

has live sports/nfl/yes/ncaa b-ball

i dont mind paying a monthly fee if it’s easy to use  and has minimal buffering  

Check the Terrarium TV thread.  Lots of info in there.

The wife and daughter seem ready to switch.  i am going to go with the following group:

Youtubetv, Netflix, Disney+, ESPN+.

The only hole I have appears to be PBS.  what is the best way for my wife to watch her pbs shows?  Antennas do not work great where I live.

Edited by NewlyRetired

27 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

The wife and daughter seem ready to switch.  i am going to go with the following group:

The only hole I have appears to be PBS.  what is the best way for my wife to watch her pbs shows?  Antennas do not work great where I live.

PBS has an app that I tried on my firestick a long time ago and seemed fine. Not sure what your setup is but maybe check out that option?

1 minute ago, gianmarco said:

PBS has an app that I tried on my firestick a long time ago and seemed fine. Not sure what your setup is but maybe check out that option?

Does the app require you to receive pbs via another service?  or does it work for anyone for free?

30 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

Does the app require you to receive pbs via another service?  or does it work for anyone for free?

It's free, but there are a few things that are behind a member's pay wall

On 9/30/2019 at 6:15 AM, NewlyRetired said:

Saw this today when researching YouTube TV. PBS targeting a Nov 4th launch.

• Like 1

On 9/30/2019 at 8:15 AM, NewlyRetired said:

Should have PBS on YouTubeTV within a month. Looking forward to it myself.

• Like 1

What's the best option for a DVR for over-the-air recording? Fire Recast if we have a couple of Fire Sticks already?

Would prefer no monthly subscription.

Edited by nysfl2

Will the new Disney streaming service allow users to share passwords?

On 10/10/2019 at 6:54 PM, nysfl2 said:

What's the best option for a DVR for over-the-air recording? Fire Recast if we have a couple of Fire Sticks already?

HDhomerun by silicon dust  might be of interest to you. There is a free version or $35 annual fee version with more functionality. Runs on a lot of different platforms. Can select options that include 2-6 tv tuners so you can watch/record different shows at the same time.

5 hours ago, Phil Elliott said:

HDhomerun by silicon dust  might be of interest to you. There is a free version or $35 annual fee version with more functionality. Runs on a lot of different platforms. Can select options that include 2-6 tv tuners so you can watch/record different shows at the same time.

This looks pretty interesting. Thanks.

On 10/10/2019 at 6:54 PM, nysfl2 said:

What do you dvr?  You probably will find that once you don't have it you'll wonder why you ever bothered using it. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, culdeus said:

What do you dvr?  You probably will find that once you don't have it you'll wonder why you ever bothered using it. 

That's what happened to us

• Like 1

Love YouTube tv so much. It’s amazing. Wish it had the red zone channel, so we are keeping our cable until the end of the football season. Fantastic service for 50 bucks though. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Premier said:

Love YouTube tv so much. It’s amazing. Wish it had the red zone channel, so we are keeping our cable until the end of the football season. Fantastic service for 50 bucks though. 

50 still seems high to me.  Probably as I have solid antenna support and have simply quit giving a #### about any sports that don't happen to air on an antenna.  

5 minutes ago, culdeus said:

50 still seems high to me.  Probably as I have solid antenna support and have simply quit giving a #### about any sports that don't happen to air on an antenna.  

Yea at this point I am just paying for sports. We watch 100% of our shows on Netflix/hbo/etc 

On 10/10/2019 at 7:54 PM, nysfl2 said:

We have the recast - works great.  Super easy to use, all amazon devices can wirelessly connect to it, and the app is excellent.

ETA: the wireless function is the best part of it, IMO.  I have it setup in my office to get the best signal with the antenna - it is flawless when streaming from our fire tv downstairs in the living room.

Edited by Ned

38 minutes ago, Premier said:

If you happen to have Verizon their "Up" rewards program had Red Zone for $10 for the year.  Not sure if its still offered or not.  It's phone only as far as I can tell though, cant find a way to cast it unless Im missing it

Sounds like the market is starting weed out the streaming services.

Sony announced today that they are shutting down PS Vue due to lack of growth. Goes dark in January.

Also, ATT recently lost 195k subscribers from DTV Now from last quarter.

24 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

Sony announced today that they are shutting down PS Vue due to lack of growth. Goes dark in January.

####

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

Maybe bc it's a horrible service.  They dropped channels from the initial package and then raised the prices.  On top of that, their Customer Service isn't integrated with normal DTV, so you have to do mainly everything online - yet they aren't as transparent with that information.  It's one of the worst services I've tried/used.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Peak said:

Maybe bc it's a horrible service.  They dropped channels from the initial package and then raised the prices.  On top of that, their Customer Service isn't integrated with normal DTV, so you have to do mainly everything online - yet they aren't as transparent with that information.  It's one of the worst services I've tried/used.

:goodposting:

It also buffers more then any of the other services I've used and is slow to change channels and bring up the guide.

I'm just waiting for Disney+ then I'm cancelling

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Peak said:

This is all part of the weeding process.  There is likely to be a couple of winners when this all gets flushed out years from now but something has to give.  There are simply too many different services starting up.

1 minute ago, B Maverick said:

I'm just waiting for Disney+ then I'm cancelling

I don't understand the comparison...  Disney+ has no relation to DTV Now from what I understand as they will not have live tv.  

DTV Now competitors are PS Vue, Hulu Live, YouTube Tv, Fubo etc

Disney+ I would think would be competing more with things like Netflix, Amazon etc, who also don't have any live tv.

Nothing memorable about Vue. I'd probably have put them 2nd to last as far as streaming services I've tried. Youtube TV interface was an abomination when I tried it. And I'm one that uses the main Youtube app on a daily basis. They'd rank worst on the services I've tried. This was probably 6-12 months ago.

DTV Now was pretty good other than it took a ####### eternity for the ### #### channel guide to load. They dropped channels and raised price so not surprising at all they're bleeding customers as well.

Philo is far and away my favorite paid streaming service. Paying $16/mo. I think they raised it to $20/mo for new customers but well worth it IMO. If you're a big sports viewer, probably won't be of much help but still cheap enough to use as addition to a sports package. I've had zero issues with Philo since I've started (the better part of a year ago?)

Edited by Craig_MiamiFL

45 minutes ago, Al Czervik said:

####

Didn't realize Fire TV will now support YouTube TV.  That makes for an easy switch to YouTube TV from VUE.

35 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

I don't understand the comparison...  Disney+ has no relation to DTV Now from what I understand as they will not have live tv.  

DTV Now competitors are PS Vue, Hulu Live, YouTube Tv, Fubo etc

Disney+ I would think would be competing more with things like Netflix, Amazon etc, who also don't have any live tv.

No, but to add sling or hulu live appears to be less expensive then I'm paying for DTVN, and appears to be a better service.  

Plus It would surprise me if a Hulu Live package didn't get offered at some point since they are offering D+, Espn + and Hulu packages already. Seems a missed opp if they don't go the next step.

6 hours ago, NewlyRetired said:

Sounds like the market is starting weed out the streaming services.

Piss poor marketing on Sony's part. Most people were/are under the impression that they need an actual playstation in order to use the service.

So which of the other streaming services offer NFL network and Redzone? 

• Thinking 1

41 minutes ago, Yenrub said:

Piss poor marketing on Sony's part. Most people were/are under the impression that they need an actual playstation in order to use the service.

So which of the other streaming services offer NFL network and Redzone? 

Sling and Futbo are the only 2 other at this time.  

This sucks because the 3 main channels I watch are ESPN, NFL Network and Fox Sports North.  Currently, Futbo has NFL and FSN but no ESPN. Sling has ESPN and NFL network, but are in a spat with Fox sports (was not very impressed with the picture on Sling anyway). Youtube TV has Fox sports and ESPN but no NFL network. PSvue had all of the channels I wanted along with a good picture and dependable service.

• Sad 1

Disney+ free for Verizon (unlimited phone) customers for the first year. A small savings, but cool none-the-less if you already have Verizon.

11 hours ago, Choke said:

Disney+ free for Verizon (unlimited phone) customers for the first year. A small savings, but cool none-the-less if you already have Verizon.

Was happy to see this but disappointed that so far no Disney + app for LG Smart TV WebOS or Vizo Smart TV OS. Now I'm either going to have to streamcast it or buy a Roku or something. Really considering cutting the cord and going all streaming but everything else we would use (YouTubeTV, Netflix, Amazon) are all apps I can load to our TV's and keep it simple for the wife.

On 9/30/2019 at 9:15 AM, NewlyRetired said:

NR did you go down this route yet ? That is the exact combo I am thinking of going with.

3 minutes ago, SwampDawg said:

NR did you go down this route yet ? That is the exact combo I am thinking of going with.

Not yet.  The family is still slow to make the change.  Every time my wife sees news like Sony shutting down psvue, the clock seems to reset.

If I was on my own, I would have done this by now.