Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Addai's Adidas

We've cut the cable

4 minutes ago, ChiefD said:

We pay $50 a month for the Google fiber 100MBS. We do have the 1000MBS available.

I have 3 kids who are always streaming SOMETHING while I am watching a game in the garage while my wife is also watching something up in our bedroom. So far the 100MBS has been fine and we'll probably  stay with it. 

The only thing I say is the router they supply is not that great (mainly coverage in the far reaches of my house, which is only an 1800 square foot home, albeit a split level home) - I'll be looking to upgrade that soon. 

Google WiFi. YWIA.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, gianmarco said:

Google WiFi. YWIA.

Yeah, I've looked at that. Not sure I care enough to spend that kind of dough. Still on the fence. May try and find that Costco deal you posted about.

10 minutes ago, ChiefD said:

Yeah, I've looked at that. Not sure I care enough to spend that kind of dough. Still on the fence. May try and find that Costco deal you posted about.

You can probably get by with 2 and definitely enough with 3.

3 pack for $228 after coupon after the coupon. 

Same thing but with 2 plugs for $10 more

And I've never heard of this place, but 3 pack for $208 here

If you wait for Black Friday, you might be able to get it under $200.  Prior to this, I never used to spend more than $30-40 for a router.  This thing is night and day.

• Thanks 1

On 10/31/2019 at 1:19 PM, kneeshooter said:

Anyone tried the Xfinity Streaming App from Comcast? I'm stuck with them for Internet, and I can add 125 channels for $20 more

Only 10 hrs on the DVR which stinks, but maybe I don't need it

Oh...the thread police are going to be here shortly...tread lightly!!!!!

I have this.  Works well on my Hulu and the interface is actually pretty decent as well.  And most everything you'd want to record is provided on demand so I haven't had a major issue with 10 hours (I think mine is 20) would be a major issue for you.

Edited by The Commish

On 10/31/2019 at 12:22 PM, matttyl said:

Maybe not exactly what you mean, but I have the streaming app on my phone and it works fine.  I also have the xfinity app on a roku (so I don't have to pay the 2nd TV box rental fee) and that's seemed to work fine as well.  Hope to get another roku device during black Friday deals so I can have cable access on another TV without an additional monthly fee. 

what does the app on the roku allow you to access?  Just live content?  DVR/Cloud DVR or whatever they offer now?

1 hour ago, sho nuff said:

what does the app on the roku allow you to access?  Just live content?  DVR/Cloud DVR or whatever they offer now?

Everything.  There might be some on demand stuff not available, but that's it.  

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, sho nuff said:

Live content, and stuff that you have saved on another Xfinity DVR in the same house.  What that means is that you still have to have an Xfinity DVR in the house somewhere (you can't replace all the units in the house).  You can't watch pay per view stuff, though. 

7 minutes ago, matttyl said:

Live content, and stuff that you have saved on another Xfinity DVR in the same house.  What that means is that you still have to have an Xfinity DVR in the house somewhere (you can't replace all the units in the house).  You can't watch pay per view stuff, though. 

Nice though...keeps from having to rent another box from them.

We already have a Roku Ultra.  So that would allow my kids to access DVR content through the app?  Sounds good.

7 minutes ago, sho nuff said:

Nice though...keeps from having to rent another box from them.

We already have a Roku Ultra.  So that would allow my kids to access DVR content through the app?  Sounds good.

Yup, it should.  We currently just have a roku stick, which from time to time has to be reset for the wifi to work properly.  Not sure if it's the hardward (the roku) or the software (the beta app) that's causing the issues.  We'll likely upgrade to an ultra to see if that does it. 

Just now, matttyl said:

Yup, it should.  We currently just have a roku stick, which from time to time has to be reset for the wifi to work properly.  Not sure if it's the hardward (the roku) or the software (the beta app) that's causing the issues.  We'll likely upgrade to an ultra to see if that does it. 

Also good to know as we may be allowing our son to put a TV in his room and he could be able to watch normal content without a cable box(when we built the house we purposefully did not put cable jacks in the kids rooms thinking we would not allow them to have TVs in their room...now, of course, he is in there watching netflix on an Ipad anyway).

On 10/31/2019 at 8:15 PM, Osaurus said:
On 10/31/2019 at 11:01 AM, Man In The Box said:

I’ve never used it, but I heard the picture quality is pretty terrible with Sling. 

Agreed. It buffers way too much even at lower quality settings. I have it until the 15th and was using it while SFU came back from the dead. It’s okay, but overall quality is meh.

Funny, my experience has been the opposite.  Sling has been far better in the pic & buffering than DTVN.  I've had zero issue with Sling.

I don't mind using the antenna for locals - the pic is phenomenal and has been rock solid reliability.  

• Thinking 1

21 hours ago, gianmarco said:
22 hours ago, ChiefD said:

You can probably get by with 2 and definitely enough with 3.

3 pack for $228 after coupon after the coupon. 

Same thing but with 2 plugs for $10 more

And I've never heard of this place, but 3 pack for $208 here

If you wait for Black Friday, you might be able to get it under $200.  Prior to this, I never used to spend more than $30-40 for a router.  This thing is night and day.

I'll pile on and say its well worth the $.  

Don't read this google, but I'd spend way more on it if I had to

• Thanks 1

On 10/31/2019 at 1:22 PM, matttyl said:

Maybe not exactly what you mean, but I have the streaming app on my phone and it works fine.  I also have the xfinity app on a roku (so I don't have to pay the 2nd TV box rental fee) and that's seemed to work fine as well.  Hope to get another roku device during black Friday deals so I can have cable access on another TV without an additional monthly fee. 

Interesting... I use the stream app all the time. I download my recorded shows to take with me...

It never dawned on me to drop most of my cable boxes and just use the app... yes I still overpay for cable and LOVE IT   :)

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, belljr said:

Interesting... I use the stream app all the time. I download my recorded shows to take with me...

It never dawned on me to drop most of my cable boxes and just use the app... yes I still overpay for cable and LOVE IT   :)

Not sure how much you are overpaying anymore.  I keep reading the thread and know friends who cut the cable to save money.  Then I ask what they use and they mention multiple streaming options plus add ons and by the time you add up what they pay in those, they are paying about the same thing I am for Direct or others with Xfinity.

21 minutes ago, belljr said:

You must do so with Roku units (and newer ones).  It's the Xfinity app, and it's in beta currently.  They may start charging for it, though. 

3 minutes ago, sho nuff said:

Not sure how much you are overpaying anymore.  I keep reading the thread and know friends who cut the cable to save money.  Then I ask what they use and they mention multiple streaming options plus add ons and by the time you add up what they pay in those, they are paying about the same thing I am for Direct or others with Xfinity.

The cable box in our bedroom we were paying $6 a month for I think - and it was replaced with a roku.  Also, the roku allowed us to watch recorded shows, which the previous one didn't. 

29 minutes ago, matttyl said:

You must do so with Roku units (and newer ones).  It's the Xfinity app, and it's in beta currently.  They may start charging for it, though. 

well i dont pay for any boxes technically - I have my original bundle price but is that App different then this app?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.xfinity.cloudtvr&hl=en_US

Edited by belljr

7 minutes ago, belljr said:

well i dont pay for any boxes technically - I have my original bundle price but is that App different then this app?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.xfinity.cloudtvr&hl=en_US

It's a different app, yes.  I don't know anything about the google play store.  I mean I have that app on my apple iphone, and it works fine - but doesn't work on my TV.  For the TV, I use this one....https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/activate-xfinity-tv-app-on-roku

Better link here - https://channelstore.roku.com/details/123132/xfinity-stream-beta

Edited by matttyl

3 minutes ago, matttyl said:

It's a different app, yes.  I don't know anything about the google play store.  I mean I have that app on my apple iphone, and it works fine - but doesn't work on my TV.  For the TV, I use this one....https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/activate-xfinity-tv-app-on-roku

Better link here - https://channelstore.roku.com/details/123132/xfinity-stream-beta

Thanks.  Its the "same APP" but looks like they are releasing it for Roku.    I mean I can stream live TV on my phone or PC and chromecast it... etc

So same but different :)

Edited by belljr

7 minutes ago, belljr said:

Thanks.  Its the "same APP" but looks like they are releasing it for Roku.    I mean I can stream live TV on my phone or PC and chromecast it... etc

So same but different :)

Can you steam DVR'd content?

22 minutes ago, matttyl said:

Can you steam DVR'd content?

Yes, I can stream and/or download (can stream via cell 4g also),  also live tv (with limitations) and some on demand

And now the lawsuit is settled I can set recordings and stuff, again.   They took this away when getting sued by Tivo

If I'm at home - I will log in via PC and stream to my projector while the cable box is on a different channel to due full screen Picture in Picture

Edited by belljr

Some older streaming devices will lose the ability to to access Netflix come December 1st. Link

My Roku is older, but I can't recall the model. I think it's a 3 (which isn't on the list linked above). Is there anyway I can tell without pulling everything apart?

Email I received today:

Hi CM,

We’re reaching out to let you know that the price of your Hulu + Live TV plan will increase from $44.99/month to $54.99/month on Wednesday, December 18, 2019.

Looks like I've got a couple weeks if I want to check out season 3 of Handmaid's tale. 

23 hours ago, CletiusMaximus said:

Email I received today:

Looks like I've got a couple weeks if I want to check out season 3 of Handmaid's tale. 

I have Hulu live and it works well with multiple TVs and devises at one time.  How many can you use with YoutubeTV?

1 minute ago, schlesinj said:

I have Hulu live and it works well with multiple TVs and devises at one time.  How many can you use with YoutubeTV?

I think 3 or 4 at one time. Pretty much unlimited how many different tablets/TVs you can have it set up on. 

With the news of PSvue Shutting down, I decided to give youtubeTV a try.  Of the other providers, it came the closest to having the channels I wanted, the only one missing is NFL network, plus it had the channels the wife wanted which is a plus.   So far, I am pleased with it. The picture on my local channels is much better than it was on PSvue and picture quality in general is good.  I guess I will just have to watch NFL network on my phone because the picture on Sling was not to my liking at all and Futbo TV does not have ESPN or most of the channels the wife watches.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, snellman said:

With the news of PSvue Shutting down, I decided to give youtubeTV a try.  Of the other providers, it came the closest to having the channels I wanted, the only one missing is NFL network, plus it had the channels the wife wanted which is a plus.   So far, I am pleased with it. The picture on my local channels is much better than it was on PSvue and picture quality in general is good.  I guess I will just have to watch NFL network on my phone because the picture on Sling was not to my liking at all and Futbo TV does not have ESPN or most of the channels the wife watches.

FYI on NFL Network, if you have Amazon Prime they show all the Thursday night games on Prime video.

1 hour ago, stbugs said:

FYI on NFL Network, if you have Amazon Prime they show all the Thursday night games on Prime video.

The hard thing with Youtube TV (I have it) is no RedZone Channel.

On 11/15/2019 at 1:23 PM, CletiusMaximus said:

Email I received today:

Yup off to YouTube tv on dec 18

11 hours ago, whoknew said:

The hard thing with Youtube TV (I have it) is no RedZone Channel.

Yes I am really hoping they get that sorted out before next season. 

• Like 1

I know this has been answered many times in here, but I just don't have the time to sort through it. Would apprecaite Cliff notes please.

I have finally decided to go all in here.

Using Xfinity for internet

Daughters really only watch Netflix and would like Disney+

YouTube TV for locals?

**Want to stop renting modem. What is the modem to go after? 4 of us in the household. Will have three Roku's and a Firestick and the Xbox using WiFi. 

Tired of spending more than I have to for crap we don't watch.

Thanks!

On 11/16/2019 at 3:25 PM, snellman said:

Same here. Trying Youtube TV now. 

On 11/16/2019 at 3:25 PM, snellman said:

Was trying to ride out PS VUE until the end of January, but it froze on me three times during NFL pre-game yesterday. Maybe they're just giving up on tech support.

So I started my free trial for YouTube TV.  Picture was much better than VUE.  Will be making switch this week.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Al Czervik said:

Was trying to ride out PS VUE until the end of January, but it froze on me three times during NFL pre-game yesterday. Maybe they're just giving up on tech support.

So I started my free trial for YouTube TV.  Picture was much better than VUE.  Will be making switch this week.

I was going to do the exact same thing but experienced that too and came to the same conclusion. The tech guys are probably already bailing for other streaming companies. Just makes sense.

• Like 1

On 11/19/2019 at 5:39 PM, ConstruxBoy said:

Same here. Trying Youtube TV now. 

I briefly thought about switching from Hulu but unless I am missing something I am concerned with not being able to use multiple devises at one time.  My Hulu account I believe is unlimited and I think YouTube Tv has a limit.  I know that is not a problem for most, but we are a family of 6 and have multiple TVs in basement that we watch football on during the weekend.  First world problem, but maybe a consideration for others.

13 minutes ago, schlesinj said:

I briefly thought about switching from Hulu but unless I am missing something I am concerned with not being able to use multiple devises at one time.  My Hulu account I believe is unlimited and I think YouTube Tv has a limit.  I know that is not a problem for most, but we are a family of 6 and have multiple TVs in basement that we watch football on during the weekend.  First world problem, but maybe a consideration for others.

I think YouTube TV is three devices at once

21 hours ago, Al Czervik said:

I’m experiencing the same thing. Seems like anything live is almost unwatchable the past week. I’d really like to make it through football season before switching to YouTube, but I’m not sure I can put up with the constant freezing and buffering. How long is YouTube‘s free trial, one week?

1 minute ago, Man In The Box said:

I’m experiencing the same thing. Seems like anything live is almost unwatchable the past week. I’d really like to make it through football season before switching to YouTube, but I’m not sure I can put up with the constant freezing and buffering. How long is YouTube‘s free trial, one week?

It's only 5 days.

• Thanks 1

On 11/15/2019 at 12:23 PM, CletiusMaximus said:

Email I received today:

Yep, got that also.

And so it begins....

2 hours ago, jamny said:

Just picked up a Fire TV Recast, on sale ($100 off) for $129 to DVR OTA channels. The antenna I bought does well in Queens NY, so should be even better in Boise

Anyone have the Fire TV Recast? Opinions?

I have one - works great.  Zero issues with it.  It ties in perfectly with my Fire TV.  It streams over your wifi, so you can stick it in any room you want.  Having that flexibility is key when using the indoor antenna.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Ned said:

I have one - works great.  Zero issues with it.  It ties in perfectly with my Fire TV.  It streams over your wifi, so you can stick it in any room you want.  Having that flexibility is key when using the indoor antenna.

Good to hear!

I have 2 firesticks that I configured and will be bringing with me to Boise. Do you think there would be an issue with testing the Recast here in NY before bringing it there, besides having to re scan the antenna and setup the wifi? Or should I start fresh there with the recast.

1 minute ago, gianmarco said:

Firestick 4K currently on sale for $24.99.

Decent deal

5 hours ago, jamny said:

Good to hear!

I have 2 firesticks that I configured and will be bringing with me to Boise. Do you think there would be an issue with testing the Recast here in NY before bringing it there, besides having to re scan the antenna and setup the wifi? Or should I start fresh there with the recast.

I can't see any issues other than having to set it back up for that wifi and rescanning your antenna.  It's a quick process to rescan; I've probably scanned 100x while trying to perfect the antenna placement.  :OCD: 

• Thanks 1

Overall I was happy with Youtube TV, our bedroom TV which is second floor opposite side of the house from my router in the basement would on live events (ie sports) occasionally hiccup and freeze. Didn't seem to do it on normal broadcast tv. I think I could have eliminated this by moving the router to the living room if cutting the cord because I would have no longer needed the cable jack there. That said I called Directv and they gave me $75 a month off for 12 months plus changed my package that I lost one telemundo channel but gained 7 or 8 other channels I'll never watch but all toll got my bill down to $58 before tax. For $8 a month more I keep my one small local channel we watch for news in the morning, NFL network and don't have to listen to my wife complain about learning a new system. So staying with Directv another 12 months, then we will see what they will do to keep me.

Question for the AV-savvy guys here. My MIL has an older Roku model that is not working as well with the newer content. So I want to get her a new one for Xmas. The issue is that I won't be at her house to check out the setup until Xmas day. I do remember that when I set it up for her two years ago, I needed to have RCA cables (Red, White, Yellow) going into the Roku. 

What I don't remember is whether that was because that old Roku model (maybe the XD or XDS?) didn't have HDMI, or because her TV didn't have HDMI. 

If it was the Roku that was the issue, I have no issue because I can just use the included HDMI cable to go from it to her TV. But if it was her TV, then I need a converter. 

Looking over the "get a new TV" and the "quality will suck" concerns, I've noticed that the RCA converters on Amazon say they only go one way, from RCA to HDMI or from HDMI to RCA. 

Am I correct in my thinking that I need the HDMI to RCA version because the content will flow from the Roku to the HDMI to the converter to the TV?

TIA. 

Does anyone know of a streaming channel that shows high quality nature videos?  Not documentaries or anything with commentary. I’m looking for beach or forest or mountain or underwater video with sound. 

I’ve got a roku tv, with YouTubeTV, Netflix, and Amazon Prime

thanks!

25 minutes ago, randall146 said:

Does anyone know of a streaming channel that shows high quality nature videos?  Not documentaries or anything with commentary. I’m looking for beach or forest or mountain or underwater video with sound. 

I’ve got a roku tv, with YouTubeTV, Netflix, and Amazon Prime

thanks!

Search "nature sounds" on AP

• Thanks 1

On 12/10/2019 at 7:50 PM, ConstruxBoy said:

Question for the AV-savvy guys here. My MIL has an older Roku model that is not working as well with the newer content. So I want to get her a new one for Xmas. The issue is that I won't be at her house to check out the setup until Xmas day. I do remember that when I set it up for her two years ago, I needed to have RCA cables (Red, White, Yellow) going into the Roku. 

What I don't remember is whether that was because that old Roku model (maybe the XD or XDS?) didn't have HDMI, or because her TV didn't have HDMI. 

If it was the Roku that was the issue, I have no issue because I can just use the included HDMI cable to go from it to her TV. But if it was her TV, then I need a converter. 

Looking over the "get a new TV" and the "quality will suck" concerns, I've noticed that the RCA converters on Amazon say they only go one way, from RCA to HDMI or from HDMI to RCA. 

Am I correct in my thinking that I need the HDMI to RCA version because the content will flow from the Roku to the HDMI to the converter to the TV?

TIA. 

I’ve got an old Roku that I don’t use anymore (I use Firesticks) and even it had HDMI so I’d assume the issue is the TV. That said do you know the size of it? It may be just as cheap to get a new TV with the Roku/Firestick/Other built in than a Roku and that adapter. I may be off but I’ve seen 55”+ TVs in the 200s and if she doesn’t have HDMI her TV is likely a lot smaller. 

• Thanks 1