Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Addai's Adidas

We've cut the cable

Recommended Posts

Is there a "for dummies" guide for this stuff linked in here somewhere? Currently still have comcast but the family has put in a request for Disney+. Rather than just getting another service, I think it's time to go the "cut the cable" route but not exactly sure what all I want to do. 

Probably looking to keep netflix and presumably add disney+ and the hulu/espn package you can get. I also want to continue to dvr stuff - namely sporting events I can then fast-forward through commercials. What all do I need? 

Presumably: a cable modem/internet subscription, the above subscriptions, a fire recast, and an antenna. 

Is that pretty much about it? And/or am I way off base? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, The Iguana said:

Is there a "for dummies" guide for this stuff linked in here somewhere? Currently still have comcast but the family has put in a request for Disney+. Rather than just getting another service, I think it's time to go the "cut the cable" route but not exactly sure what all I want to do. 

Probably looking to keep netflix and presumably add disney+ and the hulu/espn package you can get. I also want to continue to dvr stuff - namely sporting events I can then fast-forward through commercials. What all do I need? 

Presumably: a cable modem/internet subscription, the above subscriptions, a fire recast, and an antenna. 

Is that pretty much about it? And/or am I way off base? 

I am the dummy in here, so I can speak your language. This is what we did:

1. Have 100mbs internet service.

2. Subscribed to HULU Live. We get most of what we had before and all our local channels.  Does not have NFL Network, but has all the other sports channels and then some. 

3. One TV is hooked up through the kids XBOX and we run HULU Live on that. 

4. One TV has google chromecast already on it, so we stream from our iphone or ipad on that one.

5. Our other two TV's I bought the google chromecast device and plugged it into the HDMI port in the back and stream through that. 

6. All the HULU channels and programs have the chromecast button, so it's easy to use for everyone. 

7. I also subscribe to ESPN+, and just chromecast from my iphone or ipad for that.

8. You could do the same for Disney+. We don't subscribe to that. 

9. I bought an antenna that I can plug in for local channels just as a backup. I think I spent like $80 on one that picks up signals for 40 miles.

Internet: $55/month

Hulu Subscription: $55/month

ESPN+: $5 a month

Total $115/month. Down from $190

Edited by ChiefD
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, The Iguana said:

Is there a "for dummies" guide for this stuff linked in here somewhere? Currently still have comcast but the family has put in a request for Disney+. Rather than just getting another service, I think it's time to go the "cut the cable" route but not exactly sure what all I want to do. 

Probably looking to keep netflix and presumably add disney+ and the hulu/espn package you can get. I also want to continue to dvr stuff - namely sporting events I can then fast-forward through commercials. What all do I need? 

Presumably: a cable modem/internet subscription, the above subscriptions, a fire recast, and an antenna. 

Is that pretty much about it? And/or am I way off base? 

I wrote a guide and have linked it in the past. Problem is that things move so fast it’s hard to keep it updated. 

Simple answer is that with internet speeds we have today there is zero reason to have satellite or cable tv companies, they are antiquated and should be extinct. 

1- get the cheapest internet service that you can. Buy your own modem and router to avoid monthly rental fees. 

2- get an OTA antenna for free HD local channels and more. Use to tvfool.com to see your signal strength and what type of antenna you need 

3- google around a bit and see what channel lineups the different streaming services have as they are always changing. Most have a free 7 day trial to test them out. 

4- go to the Terrarium thread and find out how to get previously aired tv shows and movies for free. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just noticed this story. Seems like these pirates had a pretty big operation. Any iStreamItAll or JetFlicks folks in here?

https://www.cnn.com/2019/12/16/tech/illegal-streaming-sites-shuttered/index.html

Quote

Both iStreamItAll and Jetflicks had tens of thousands of paid subscribers and were designed to work on many different devices and platforms, "including myriad varieties of computer operating systems, smartphones, tablets, smart televisions, video game consoles, digital media players, set-top boxes and web browsers," the DOJ said, citing the two plea agreements.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/16/2019 at 11:39 AM, tonydead said:

I wrote a guide and have linked it in the past. Problem is that things move so fast it’s hard to keep it updated. 

Simple answer is that with internet speeds we have today there is zero reason to have satellite or cable tv companies, they are antiquated and should be extinct. 

1- get the cheapest internet service that you can. Buy your own modem and router to avoid monthly rental fees. 

2- get an OTA antenna for free HD local channels and more. Use to tvfool.com to see your signal strength and what type of antenna you need 

3- google around a bit and see what channel lineups the different streaming services have as they are always changing. Most have a free 7 day trial to test them out. 

4- go to the Terrarium thread and find out how to get previously aired tv shows and movies for free. 

I'll disagree with getting the cheapest service.  You don't want your speed cut, especially if you have a few users.  If I'm spurging, its on the internet speed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/13/2019 at 3:30 PM, randall146 said:

Does anyone know of a streaming channel that shows high quality nature videos?  Not documentaries or anything with commentary. I’m looking for beach or forest or mountain or underwater video with sound. 
 

I’ve got a roku tv, with YouTubeTV, Netflix, and Amazon Prime

thanks!

If you have Amazon Prime and a firestick they have a pretty good selection.  I use lake sounds, fire pit surf, and rainstorm they all last 8 hrs I use them to sleep.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, rustycolts said:

If you have Amazon Prime and a firestick they have a pretty good selection.  I use lake sounds, fire pit surf, and rainstorm they all last 8 hrs I use them to sleep.

Earthcam.com is good also.  We have a cam here of Lake Michigan.   There are some great nature cams from all around the world on there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am ending my Comcast TV deal this week and will have Amazon Prime, Netflix, and Disney.

I did add Youtube TV (49.99) and have Comcast Extreme. 

I believe my monthly Comcast bill will go from ~$170.00 to about $83.00, but adding Youtube make the monthly savings around $30.00 a month. I am not paying for any of the streaming services (Amazon, Netflix, Disney) so there's that 🙂

Do I need to be concerned with monthly data usage now that I am streaming?

I'm still not as efficient as I would like, but do want my cable still for some shows/local sports.

Any other recommendations? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Exploring this seriously... can anyone help with a couple Qs?  We'll have Netflix and Prime under both scenarios so I'm leaving those out.

  • Just found out I'm only on 75/75 Internet -- $30/month (bundled)
  • Fios Preferred ($55) + Fios Sports Pass ($14) = $69/month FIOS content
  • Paying $7/month for the router and $24/month for 2 set top boxes = $31 for equipment
  • Govt taxes and fees = $7.62
  • Verizon FIOS fees and surcharges = $16.06

So that's $154 per month. (straight from the bill, I talked my way down to that from like $180 last year)

Looking at the cord-cutting costs:

  • I can keep Verizon Internet and upgrade to 100/100mbs for $40/month + $7/month router + taxes and fees = $50
  • FUBO TV = ($55) + Disney+ ($7) = $62 month for content

That's $112/month

That's a savings of $42/month, but only if I'm really avoiding the taxes, fees and surcharges ($16) and the cost of two set top boxes ($24).  So... am I really avoiding those fees if I cut? 

Overall, FUBO actually has more of the sports channels I'd watch, I don't think we lose anything the others in the fam use, and our internet speed would be slightly higher as well.  I'm not seeing any downside at all outside the initial hassle -- am I missing anything?

(We'd be adding some sort of digital antenna as well, but I'm leaving that out of this calculation since it's pennies a month over time.)

 

Edited by Dinsy Ejotuz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/2/2020 at 10:32 AM, cubd8 said:

I'm still not as efficient as I would like, but do want my cable still for some shows/local sports.

Any other recommendations? 

Look at FUBO instead of Youtube.  Very comparably priced and it has a TON (like more than you'd ever use) of sports channels -- plus most or all of the channels Youtube has (at least in my area).

Edited by Dinsy Ejotuz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dinsy Ejotuz said:

Exploring this seriously... can anyone help with a couple Qs?  We'll have Netflix and Prime under both scenarios so I'm leaving those out.

  • Just found out I'm only on 75/75 Internet -- $30/month (bundled)
  • Fios Preferred ($55) + Fios Sports Pass ($14) = $69/month FIOS content
  • Paying $7/month for the router and $24/month for 2 set top boxes = $31 for equipment
  • Govt taxes and fees = $7.62
  • Verizon FIOS fees and surcharges = $16.06

So that's $154 per month. (straight from the bill, I talked my way down to that from like $180 last year)

Looking at the cord-cutting costs:

  • I can keep Verizon Internet and upgrade to 100/100mbs for $40/month + $7/month router + taxes and fees = $50
  • FUBO TV = ($55) + Disney+ ($7) = $62 month for content

That's $112/month

That's a savings of $42/month, but only if I'm really avoiding the taxes, fees and surcharges ($16) and the cost of two set top boxes ($24).  So... am I really avoiding those fees if I cut? 

Overall, FUBO actually has more of the sports channels I'd watch, I don't think we lose anything the others in the fam use, and our internet speed would be slightly higher as well.  I'm not seeing any downside at all outside the initial hassle -- am I missing anything?

(We'd be adding some sort of digital antenna as well, but I'm leaving that out of this calculation since it's pennies a month over time.)

 

My Fios internet-only bill doesn't have any fees or surcharges added. Why are you renting a router? Buying your own will be cheaper in the long run.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gave YouTube TV a trial run and found the stream jerky. I have 300Mbs internet too.

Internet is $80 alone and YouTube is $50. So $130.

Got my cable bill down to $150 and I'm sticking with it. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/5/2020 at 5:58 AM, Otis said:

Holy crap.  I'm on AT&T Now, and we have probably 8 Roku devices around the house. This would screw me pretty hard if they delete the app entirely.

All you have to do is mirror your screen from your phone/tablet app. Another step and you lose being able to use your phone/tablet, but a workaround.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Payne said:

Gave YouTube TV a trial run and found the stream jerky. I have 300Mbs internet too.

Internet is $80 alone and YouTube is $50. So $130.

Got my cable bill down to $150 and I'm sticking with it. 

Same issue with me. I have YouTube, got rid of Xfinity, but the costs of streaming vs. cable are not much different (maybe save $30.00 a month) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, cubd8 said:

Same issue with me. I have YouTube, got rid of Xfinity, but the costs of streaming vs. cable are not much different (maybe save $30.00 a month) 

Yes but aren't you paying for the internet weather you have cable or not? I was paying for internet about 80 bucks plus 150 for DirecTV.  Youtubetv only 50 bucks saves me 100 a month.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/11/2020 at 6:03 PM, Dinsy Ejotuz said:

Exploring this seriously... can anyone help with a couple Qs?  We'll have Netflix and Prime under both scenarios so I'm leaving those out.

  • Just found out I'm only on 75/75 Internet -- $30/month (bundled)
  • Fios Preferred ($55) + Fios Sports Pass ($14) = $69/month FIOS content
  • Paying $7/month for the router and $24/month for 2 set top boxes = $31 for equipment
  • Govt taxes and fees = $7.62
  • Verizon FIOS fees and surcharges = $16.06

So that's $154 per month. (straight from the bill, I talked my way down to that from like $180 last year)

Looking at the cord-cutting costs:

  • I can keep Verizon Internet and upgrade to 100/100mbs for $40/month + $7/month router + taxes and fees = $50
  • FUBO TV = ($55) + Disney+ ($7) = $62 month for content

That's $112/month

That's a savings of $42/month, but only if I'm really avoiding the taxes, fees and surcharges ($16) and the cost of two set top boxes ($24).  So... am I really avoiding those fees if I cut? 

Overall, FUBO actually has more of the sports channels I'd watch, I don't think we lose anything the others in the fam use, and our internet speed would be slightly higher as well.  I'm not seeing any downside at all outside the initial hassle -- am I missing anything?

(We'd be adding some sort of digital antenna as well, but I'm leaving that out of this calculation since it's pennies a month over time.)

 

First step in cutting the cord is taking all the cable company's equipment back and dropping if off on their desk.  Modems and routers and streaming devices are dirt cheap now days and paying rent for something like that tops the how cable companies screw you list.  Plus it feels good plopping all that crap down and telling them you're done.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/12/2020 at 9:54 AM, Payne said:

Gave YouTube TV a trial run and found the stream jerky. I have 300Mbs internet too.

Internet is $80 alone and YouTube is $50. So $130.

Got my cable bill down to $150 and I'm sticking with it. 

Looking at YouTubeTV... Currently using Hulu, Prime, NetFlix and using 1 month free trial of CBS.  

Spectrum Bill was $238/month

Current Google Fiber 500MB package with streamers above = $158          +$10 when CBS is no longer free

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The baby is almost 9 now. Wow 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, rustycolts said:

Yes but aren't you paying for the internet weather you have cable or not? I was paying for internet about 80 bucks plus 150 for DirecTV.  Youtubetv only 50 bucks saves me 100 a month.

You were paying $80 for internet and THEN $150 for DirectTV? I was paying $205 for cable and internet. Internet only = $80. Youtube = $50. $130 total.

Walked in to Xfinity store, dropped off my boxes and modem (bought my own) and asked for internet only quote. Immediately offered me internet and channels for $145 with taxes. $10 more for Starz (wife likes Outlander). So $155 compared to $130 to stream Youtube. Youtube also didn't have every channel we liked and, as I said, the stream was a bit jumpy.

I don't think cutting the cord is as big of a savings as it once was. And my wife refuses to use Kodi.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Payne said:

You were paying $80 for internet and THEN $150 for DirectTV? I was paying $205 for cable and internet. Internet only = $80. Youtube = $50. $130 total.

Walked in to Xfinity store, dropped off my boxes and modem (bought my own) and asked for internet only quote. Immediately offered me internet and channels for $145 with taxes. $10 more for Starz (wife likes Outlander). So $155 compared to $130 to stream Youtube. Youtube also didn't have every channel we liked and, as I said, the stream was a bit jumpy.

I don't think cutting the cord is as big of a savings as it once was. And my wife refuses to use Kodi.

Yea no bundle that's why it was a no brainer for me

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Payne said:

You were paying $80 for internet and THEN $150 for DirectTV? I was paying $205 for cable and internet. Internet only = $80. Youtube = $50. $130 total.

Walked in to Xfinity store, dropped off my boxes and modem (bought my own) and asked for internet only quote. Immediately offered me internet and channels for $145 with taxes. $10 more for Starz (wife likes Outlander). So $155 compared to $130 to stream Youtube. Youtube also didn't have every channel we liked and, as I said, the stream was a bit jumpy.

I don't think cutting the cord is as big of a savings as it once was. And my wife refuses to use Kodi.

It depends on your situation how much you can save but one big lure for me is no contracts. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, JoeSteeler said:

I don't think cutting the cord is as big of a savings as it once was. And my wife refuses to use Kodi.

I agree.  The cost of all the streaming services to get a good mix of shows is getting almost as bad as cable was.  

As a substitute for Kodi, I might suggest Plex.  I have recently added a tuner to my plex server and it does a nice job on the TV/DVR and its all in the same place with your movies and such. I also dropped netflix and hulu as the kids are watching youtube more than anything lately.  I instead have fired up the VPN again dusted off the old pirate hat.  It's just easier and you get everything, sports, movies, tv series, books.

Maybe cable will go back to being the best way, but I am liking this setup currently. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Payne said:

I don't think cutting the cord is as big of a savings as it once was. And my wife refuses to use Kodi.

Just depends what programming you absolutely 'need'.

I think I'm paying as much now for Philo + Pluto + Youtube + Hulu ($18/mo total) as I did in the bullshlt charges Directv tried to throw at me in the past. Always can find free trials of some service anytime I have a desire to watch sports anymore. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't have any IPTV, and I don't have a working antenna.

Any way to stream the Super Bowl?  I think I got it last year though a CBS Sports app or something.  Will the Fox Sports app work today, or will it ask for my cable company credentials?

ETA: Pregame coverage isn’t asking me for any credentials.

Edited by Tick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tick said:

I don't have any IPTV, and I don't have a working antenna.

Any way to stream the Super Bowl?  I think I got it last year though a CBS Sports app or something.  Will the Fox Sports app work today, or will it ask for my cable company credentials?

ETA: Pregame coverage isn’t asking me for any credentials.

I believe they are offering it for free over the app.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tick said:

I don't have any IPTV, and I don't have a working antenna.

Any way to stream the Super Bowl?  I think I got it last year though a CBS Sports app or something.  Will the Fox Sports app work today, or will it ask for my cable company credentials?

ETA: Pregame coverage isn’t asking me for any credentials.

On my fireTV home screen today, when I selected the super bowl it showed the Fox Sports and NFL apps as free to stream the game

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not gonna read the whole thread, but I see some mentions of YouTube TV and curious of the experience.

Just initial research looks pretty nice.   $50 per month and still get live TV and sports from all the main channels that I'd care about.    No equipment but still can record shows on a cloud DVR. One little thing I read was how each family member has own account and each can go to their own personal DVR area so only sees shows they recorded or care about  (so I'm not seeing 25 episodes of Miraculous LadyBug and Ellen DeGeneres Game show!).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, offdee said:

Not gonna read the whole thread, but I see some mentions of YouTube TV and curious of the experience.

Just initial research looks pretty nice.   $50 per month and still get live TV and sports from all the main channels that I'd care about.    No equipment but still can record shows on a cloud DVR. One little thing I read was how each family member has own account and each can go to their own personal DVR area so only sees shows they recorded or care about  (so I'm not seeing 25 episodes of Miraculous LadyBug and Ellen DeGeneres Game show!).

Give the free trial a shot. I did and found my stream to be a bit jumpy. Watching basketball was a nightmare. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Payne said:

Give the free trial a shot. I did and found my stream to be a bit jumpy. Watching basketball was a nightmare. 

Ah yeah, that wouldn’t be worth it then. I’ll check the trial out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/16/2019 at 11:20 AM, ChiefD said:

I am the dummy in here, so I can speak your language. This is what we did:

1. Have 100mbs internet service.

2. Subscribed to HULU Live. We get most of what we had before and all our local channels.  Does not have NFL Network, but has all the other sports channels and then some. 

3. One TV is hooked up through the kids XBOX and we run HULU Live on that. 

4. One TV has google chromecast already on it, so we stream from our iphone or ipad on that one.

5. Our other two TV's I bought the google chromecast device and plugged it into the HDMI port in the back and stream through that. 

6. All the HULU channels and programs have the chromecast button, so it's easy to use for everyone. 

7. I also subscribe to ESPN+, and just chromecast from my iphone or ipad for that.

8. You could do the same for Disney+. We don't subscribe to that. 

9. I bought an antenna that I can plug in for local channels just as a backup. I think I spent like $80 on one that picks up signals for 40 miles.

Internet: $55/month

Hulu Subscription: $55/month

ESPN+: $5 a month

Total $115/month. Down from $190

 

On 12/16/2019 at 11:39 AM, tonydead said:

I wrote a guide and have linked it in the past. Problem is that things move so fast it’s hard to keep it updated. 

Simple answer is that with internet speeds we have today there is zero reason to have satellite or cable tv companies, they are antiquated and should be extinct. 

1- get the cheapest internet service that you can. Buy your own modem and router to avoid monthly rental fees. 

2- get an OTA antenna for free HD local channels and more. Use to tvfool.com to see your signal strength and what type of antenna you need 

3- google around a bit and see what channel lineups the different streaming services have as they are always changing. Most have a free 7 day trial to test them out. 

4- go to the Terrarium thread and find out how to get previously aired tv shows and movies for free. 

OK, so what about Redzone? what streamer has that?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, bicycle_seat_sniffer said:

 

OK, so what about Redzone? what streamer has that?

 

Sling TV, and Fubo TV have rezone included with their sports add on packs.  I just watch for free at nflbite.com.

Edited by tonydead

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, tonydead said:

Sling TV, Plastation Vue and Fubo TV all have rezone included with their sports add on packs.  I just watch for free at nflbite.com.

Sling was a huge disappointment for me. 
 

ETA: isn’t Vue toast?

Edited by Osaurus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Osaurus said:

Sling was a huge disappointment for me. 
 

ETA: isn’t Vue toast?

whoops my bad, i guess so

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, offdee said:

Ah yeah, that wouldn’t be worth it then. I’ll check the trial out. 

I have been using YouTube TV since it came out and have experienced very few issues.  Usually any streaming issues are related to your internet service and/or your streaming device.

Usually, using a Smart TV as your streaming device will give a poor experience. I use two Apple TV 4K boxes, but Nvidia Shield and the better Rokus also work well.

Hard wire your boxes if possible as opposed to using WiFi.  I have 300MB Fiber internet service now, but had no problems when we had 60MB service previously.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, offdee said:

Not gonna read the whole thread, but I see some mentions of YouTube TV and curious of the experience.

Just initial research looks pretty nice.   $50 per month and still get live TV and sports from all the main channels that I'd care about.    No equipment but still can record shows on a cloud DVR. One little thing I read was how each family member has own account and each can go to their own personal DVR area so only sees shows they recorded or care about  (so I'm not seeing 25 episodes of Miraculous LadyBug and Ellen DeGeneres Game show!).

5 hours ago, Payne said:

Give the free trial a shot. I did and found my stream to be a bit jumpy. Watching basketball was a nightmare. 

 

I switched to youtube tv when psvue announced it would be ending and have been happy with it so for.  Good quality picture, no buffering issues.  The only downside was no NFL network, but the only current services that have NFL network as an option are Sling and Fubo.  Was not happy with sling at all as it was a very poor picture and Fubo doesn't have the other channels that the wife wants.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cord has been cut!

After not carrying NBC for about 6 months last year, Uverse essentially told me they were raising my monthly rate $50/month when my promotions ran out.

My setup is currently:

- $46/month for internet with Spectrum

- Antenna for local channels

- Fire TV recast

- Amazon Prime ($50/yr), Netflix ($13/month) (had anyway, even with cable)

- Local sports teams mostly suck, so not worried about it. Using a torrent to stream an occasional college BBall game.

 

May have to do something for AMC when the new season of Better Call Saul comes out. Thinking Philo.

Saving about $130/month. Loving it.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/3/2020 at 7:09 PM, nysfl2 said:

Cord has been cut!

After not carrying NBC for about 6 months last year, Uverse essentially told me they were raising my monthly rate $50/month when my promotions ran out.

My setup is currently:

- $46/month for internet with Spectrum

- Antenna for local channels

- Fire TV recast

- Amazon Prime ($50/yr), Netflix ($13/month) (had anyway, even with cable)

- Local sports teams mostly suck, so not worried about it. Using a torrent to stream an occasional college BBall game.

 

May have to do something for AMC when the new season of Better Call Saul comes out. Thinking Philo.

Saving about $130/month. Loving it.

Philo is good. I like it. All "live" shows start from the beginning like you had it on DVR. You can also choose to jump to "live" as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just got a Facebook reminder that we cut the cord 5 years ago today.  :thumbup:

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have been using Vue (started @ $30/month, ended @ $50/month), and now Fubo ($60/month) for locals/cable stations, but recently came across Locast to get live locals. Now I'm attempting to replace Fubo with a cheaper service that doesn't include locals. Hulu doesn't cut it, the available Bravo shows, if they exist, are a whole season old (deal breaker for my wife).

It's irritating that cutting the cord has turned into "streaming cable" with the same locked in options and very little ability to pay for only what you use.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Dragons said:

We have been using Vue (started @ $30/month, ended @ $50/month), and now Fubo ($60/month) for locals/cable stations, but recently came across Locast to get live locals. Now I'm attempting to replace Fubo with a cheaper service that doesn't include locals. Hulu doesn't cut it, the available Bravo shows, if they exist, are a whole season old (deal breaker for my wife).

It's irritating that cutting the cord has turned into "streaming cable" with the same locked in options and very little ability to pay for only what you use.

Whoa. Is Locast legit?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Uruk-Hai said:

Whoa. Is Locast legit?

Do you mean legal? They have apps on all the stores and appear to be publicly opening area by area.

If you mean, does it work? Channels come in clear for me. No DVR that I can tell, but my need for locals does but require dvr

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Dragons said:

Do you mean legal? They have apps on all the stores and appear to be publicly opening area by area.

If you mean, does it work? Channels come in clear for me. No DVR that I can tell, but my need for locals does but require dvr

Yeah, I meant legal. I can't believe the big cable providers haven't tried to run them off.

That could be a game-changer for me. Where I live, I can't get locals with an antenna so I have a basic cable/phone/internet bundle (cheapest route to get locals). Neither Hulu or Sling ever had all of my locals. Now, I can ditch that bundle and get internet-only at double the speed and 1/3 the price. Plus, I can nuke Hulu live.

I just checked it out. The picture, for me, isn't as good as my cable feed (it also lags about a minute) but it's still good. DVR isn't a concern for me.

Thanks for the tip!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Uruk-Hai said:

Whoa. Is Locast legit?

Why wouldn’t it be legal? It is nuts OTA channels

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sinclair being dropped from YoutubeTV.  So angry, no more fox sports regional channels or Yes network

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Dragons said:

We have been using Vue (started @ $30/month, ended @ $50/month), and now Fubo ($60/month) for locals/cable stations, but recently came across Locast to get live locals. Now I'm attempting to replace Fubo with a cheaper service that doesn't include locals. Hulu doesn't cut it, the available Bravo shows, if they exist, are a whole season old (deal breaker for my wife).

It's irritating that cutting the cord has turned into "streaming cable" with the same locked in options and very little ability to pay for only what you use.

In about 17 cities. Not in Austin yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, SofaKings said:

Sinclair being dropped from YoutubeTV.  So angry, no more fox sports regional channels or Yes network

Latest report is temporarily available yet, were supposed to be dropped today.  Biggest reason I have a streaming service is for the fox sports channels to watch my Twins games.  Sling doesn't have them,  Dish Network doesn't have them.  I knew it would eventually come to this when we dropped the cable, the streaming services are almost getting to the point of cable cost.  Right now I am saving $15 per month by going with Hulu live as opposed to a cable tv/internet package from my local provider.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Uruk-Hai said:

Whoa. Is Locast legit?

Need the Tulsa OK or Joplin MO markets to make it useful for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Late to the game, but I think I'm going to take the plunge and cancel our DirecTV (customer for 20+ years) to make the switch to YouTube TV.  They have (1) local channels, (2) the cable channels I care about, and (3) DVR capabilities all-in-one for $50/month.  Honestly the biggest thing for me will probably be getting my wife comfortable with using it.  We've got one new enough TV that we'll be able to install the app on it, but the others I'll be using a Roku Streaming Stick+.  If anyone has any recommendations/tips or something they'd recommend doing differently, please let me know.  I figure with the money I'm saving on DirecTV, I'll probably be able to buy a new top-of-the-line TV within a year too.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We were reluctant Time Warner cable customers for 15+ years.  Switched to DTVN about 2 years ago but dropped them after two quick price increases and beta level performance.  For about last 8 months we have been using Spectrum TV-basically streaming the cable channels. Retail cost is $44/mo but you should be able to mildly negotiate a lower rate. No contract, using on 4 apple tv boxes, includes lots of channels, ESPN, local channels, HBO/Showtime, on-demand. Service is excellent with no outages.  We did get one box for dvr. App is available on most platforms. We also have their standard 400 mb internet service but assume you can just get the streaming service.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.