What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

We've cut the cable (2 Viewers)

Not gonna read the whole thread, but I see some mentions of YouTube TV and curious of the experience.

Just initial research looks pretty nice.   $50 per month and still get live TV and sports from all the main channels that I'd care about.    No equipment but still can record shows on a cloud DVR. One little thing I read was how each family member has own account and each can go to their own personal DVR area so only sees shows they recorded or care about  (so I'm not seeing 25 episodes of Miraculous LadyBug and Ellen DeGeneres Game show!).
Give the free trial a shot. I did and found my stream to be a bit jumpy. Watching basketball was a nightmare. 

I switched to youtube tv when psvue announced it would be ending and have been happy with it so for.  Good quality picture, no buffering issues.  The only downside was no NFL network, but the only current services that have NFL network as an option are Sling and Fubo.  Was not happy with sling at all as it was a very poor picture and Fubo doesn't have the other channels that the wife wants.

Cord has been cut!

After not carrying NBC for about 6 months last year, Uverse essentially told me they were raising my monthly rate $50/month when my promotions ran out.

My setup is currently:

- $46/month for internet with Spectrum

- Antenna for local channels

- Fire TV recast

- Amazon Prime ($50/yr), Netflix ($13/month) (had anyway, even with cable)

- Local sports teams mostly suck, so not worried about it. Using a torrent to stream an occasional college BBall game.

May have to do something for AMC when the new season of Better Call Saul comes out. Thinking Philo.

Saving about $130/month. Loving it.

Cord has been cut!

After not carrying NBC for about 6 months last year, Uverse essentially told me they were raising my monthly rate $50/month when my promotions ran out.

My setup is currently:

- $46/month for internet with Spectrum

- Antenna for local channels

- Fire TV recast

- Amazon Prime ($50/yr), Netflix ($13/month) (had anyway, even with cable)

- Local sports teams mostly suck, so not worried about it. Using a torrent to stream an occasional college BBall game.

May have to do something for AMC when the new season of Better Call Saul comes out. Thinking Philo.

Saving about $130/month. Loving it.
Philo is good. I like it. All "live" shows start from the beginning like you had it on DVR. You can also choose to jump to "live" as well.

We have been using Vue (started @ $30/month, ended @ $50/month), and now Fubo ($60/month) for locals/cable stations, but recently came across Locast to get live locals. Now I'm attempting to replace Fubo with a cheaper service that doesn't include locals. Hulu doesn't cut it, the available Bravo shows, if they exist, are a whole season old (deal breaker for my wife).

It's irritating that cutting the cord has turned into "streaming cable" with the same locked in options and very little ability to pay for only what you use.

We have been using Vue (started @ $30/month, ended @ $50/month), and now Fubo ($60/month) for locals/cable stations, but recently came across Locast to get live locals. Now I'm attempting to replace Fubo with a cheaper service that doesn't include locals. Hulu doesn't cut it, the available Bravo shows, if they exist, are a whole season old (deal breaker for my wife).

It's irritating that cutting the cord has turned into "streaming cable" with the same locked in options and very little ability to pay for only what you use.
Whoa. Is Locast legit?

Whoa. Is Locast legit?
Do you mean legal? They have apps on all the stores and appear to be publicly opening area by area.

If you mean, does it work? Channels come in clear for me. No DVR that I can tell, but my need for locals does but require dvr

Do you mean legal? They have apps on all the stores and appear to be publicly opening area by area.

If you mean, does it work? Channels come in clear for me. No DVR that I can tell, but my need for locals does but require dvr
Yeah, I meant legal. I can't believe the big cable providers haven't tried to run them off.

That could be a game-changer for me. Where I live, I can't get locals with an antenna so I have a basic cable/phone/internet bundle (cheapest route to get locals). Neither Hulu or Sling ever had all of my locals. Now, I can ditch that bundle and get internet-only at double the speed and 1/3 the price. Plus, I can nuke Hulu live.

I just checked it out. The picture, for me, isn't as good as my cable feed (it also lags about a minute) but it's still good. DVR isn't a concern for me.

Thanks for the tip!

In about 17 cities. Not in Austin yet.

Sinclair being dropped from YoutubeTV.  So angry, no more fox sports regional channels or Yes network
Latest report is temporarily available yet, were supposed to be dropped today.  Biggest reason I have a streaming service is for the fox sports channels to watch my Twins games.  Sling doesn't have them,  Dish Network doesn't have them.  I knew it would eventually come to this when we dropped the cable, the streaming services are almost getting to the point of cable cost.  Right now I am saving $15 per month by going with Hulu live as opposed to a cable tv/internet package from my local provider.

Late to the game, but I think I'm going to take the plunge and cancel our DirecTV (customer for 20+ years) to make the switch to YouTube TV.  They have (1) local channels, (2) the cable channels I care about, and (3) DVR capabilities all-in-one for $50/month.  Honestly the biggest thing for me will probably be getting my wife comfortable with using it.  We've got one new enough TV that we'll be able to install the app on it, but the others I'll be using a Roku Streaming Stick+.  If anyone has any recommendations/tips or something they'd recommend doing differently, please let me know.  I figure with the money I'm saving on DirecTV, I'll probably be able to buy a new top-of-the-line TV within a year too.  

We were reluctant Time Warner cable customers for 15+ years.  Switched to DTVN about 2 years ago but dropped them after two quick price increases and beta level performance.  For about last 8 months we have been using Spectrum TV-basically streaming the cable channels. Retail cost is $44/mo but you should be able to mildly negotiate a lower rate. No contract, using on 4 apple tv boxes, includes lots of channels, ESPN, local channels, HBO/Showtime, on-demand. Service is excellent with no outages.  We did get one box for dvr. App is available on most platforms. We also have their standard 400 mb internet service but assume you can just get the streaming service.

Some of these services are gonna lose a lot of customers (at least temporarily). W/o sports, there's not a whole lot of reason to pay extra right now over something like Philo. Sports is what makes these packages pricey. 

Looking to get 200 mbps innerwebs from Frontier at the moment. I am currently at 100 mbps. Should be interesting

Update: Frontier offers 100 mbps and then it jumps to 500 mbps. Extra cost per month is $20. With 2 of us working from home starting next week for a month, this will come in handy. I am still paying way less than half of what I used to pay with cable.

Update 2: Seeing WiFi speeds at 460/396 now and at the router it’s 500+/500+. Glad I spent the extra  :moneybag:  for the upgrade. 

Last edited by a moderator:
So far, so good with our switch from DirecTV to YouTube TV.  We've been getting used to YTV for the past 3 days and there's been a little bit of a learning curve, but the picture quality and DVR are working as expected.  My biggest issue at the moment is trying to figure out how to sign in to HBO Go utilizing our AT&T Wireless Unlimited plan (includes free HBO) since I'll be cancelling DTV in the next few days.  I've read through multiple forums and nothing has worked so far.  I'm probably just going to have to call AT&T and cross my fingers.

Alright, I need some help.

In this interesting times, we are trying to cut some costs. One that I have been thinking of is 'cutting the cord.' My problem is the fact that my wife is not exactly a tech-junkie like I am and I want to make it as easy as possible for her. Our kids are teens and should be able to handle it. (Our middle guy built his own PC.) I'd like to have it be in a single 'location' so that we don't have to move back and forth to find networks and shows. 

We currently use Xfinity for our services (we get Cable/Phone/Internet and Security from them). We pay a bunch, which is part of why we're thinking of doing this. I have decent internet (320 down/10-15 up) so streaming shouldn't be much of a difficulty. One the things that we like about Xfinity is the fact that you can search in one spot on there and you can see shows on Netflix and Prime as well as the regular cable channels. 

Tell me what you guys use as sources for your channels, and how you control it all, and what do you do for things like DVR and such.

I will look thru this thread, but I would appreciate your info!

TIA,

ETA: I should have mentioned our equipment. I have 3 TVS, All have AppleTVS (1 has a 4th Gen) 2 have FireSticks.  

In this interesting times, we are trying to cut some costs. One that I have been thinking of is 'cutting the cord.' My problem is the fact that my wife is not exactly a tech-junkie like I am and I want to make it as easy as possible for her. Our kids are teens and should be able to handle it. (Our middle guy built his own PC.) I'd like to have it be in a single 'location' so that we don't have to move back and forth to find networks and shows. 

We currently use Xfinity for our services (we get Cable/Phone/Internet and Security from them). We pay a bunch, which is part of why we're thinking of doing this. I have decent internet (320 down/10-15 up) so streaming shouldn't be much of a difficulty. One the things that we like about Xfinity is the fact that you can search in one spot on there and you can see shows on Netflix and Prime as well as the regular cable channels. 

Tell me what you guys use as sources for your channels, and how you control it all, and what do you do for things like DVR and such.

TIA,
I have a Roku. When I'm on the main menu, I can search a show or movie and it'll list all of the apps (Netflix, Prime, etc...) it's on. 

Maneuverability is a little more cumbersome than with a cable or Sat TV set up. You can't just "back button" from one app to another. If, say, leaving Netflix for something on Prime I have to exit Netflix to the main screen and go into Prime from there. My set up is older, though - maybe newer devices are different.

I have a Roku. When I'm on the main menu, I can search a show or movie and it'll list all of the apps (Netflix, Prime, etc...) it's on. 

Maneuverability is a little more cumbersome than with a cable or Sat TV set up. You can't just "back button" from one app to another. If, say, leaving Netflix for something on Prime I have to exit Netflix to the main screen and go into Prime from there. My set up is older, though - maybe newer devices are different.
Thanks!

What are you going to do for local channels?
I just switched to streaming about 2 weeks ago - cancelled DirecTV in my case.  We purchased YouTube TV for $50/mo and that gives us unlimited DVR and local channels.  I've been super happy with our Rokus so far as well.  The remote really couldn't be any easier to use since it's only got about 12 buttons on it.  We've got one Samsung Smart TV without a Roku and I'm honestly thinking about putting a Roku on there too so that it's the exact same remote and TV interaction everywhere in the house.

Was thinking of an OTA Antenna. Need to look into how they work.

Do I buy one for the house, or one per TV?
I'm not sure, since over here in BFE western VA I have no hope of picking anything up OTA. You're near Leesburg, right? You might have a good shot at DC channels with indoor antennae (like a Mohu Leaf) on each. Or you may be able to split the signal with a large antenna, but I don't know. 

Someone posted here a while back about a site called locast.org. I get all of the DC channels streamed with it. It's obstensibly free, but I donate $5/month.

I'm cutting my cable package this week and going internet only, since I can get locals on locast. Save me about $100/mo. 

There's a Roku remote app for smart phones, works really good as it goes thru your WiFi instead of having to point at the actually Roku... Also comes in handy when you misplace the remote

I'm not sure, since over here in BFE western VA I have no hope of picking anything up OTA. You're near Leesburg, right? You might have a good shot at DC channels with indoor antennae (like a Mohu Leaf) on each. Or you may be able to split the signal with a large antenna, but I don't know. 

Someone posted here a while back about a site called locast.com. I get all of the DC channels streamed with it. It's obstensibly free, but I donate $5/month.

I'm cutting my cable package this week and going internet only, since I can get locals on locast. Save me about $100/mo. 
I am in Leesburg. I hope that with a reasonable antenna I should be able to get the DC stations.

I read today that you can use the coax in your house to distribute signal from an antenna to multiple TVs, however you can't use that coax if you are using it to bring the internet into your house. That puts me in a pinch, so what I was thinking of doing is running a separate coax from my Xfinity box thru my garage and bring it into my house and use it specifically for the internet. That way I could use the coax built into the walls for the OTA. Also, I could move the Wifi router to a more central location in the house.

I don't think this would be all that expensive, the coax, a couple of thru the wall connectors, and an amplifier for the OTA signal. I also might be able to buy a better antenna.

Also locust is on locust.org. (Went to .com and it was for sale! ;)  ) I want to be able to bring as much of the stuff into one system as I can, to make it easier to use!

I am in Leesburg. I hope that with a reasonable antenna I should be able to get the DC stations.

I read today that you can use the coax in your house to distribute signal from an antenna to multiple TVs, however you can't use that coax if you are using it to bring the internet into your house. That puts me in a pinch, so what I was thinking of doing is running a separate coax from my Xfinity box thru my garage and bring it into my house and use it specifically for the internet. That way I could use the coax built into the walls for the OTA. Also, I could move the Wifi router to a more central location in the house.

I don't think this would be all that expensive, the coax, a couple of thru the wall connectors, and an amplifier for the OTA signal. I also might be able to buy a better antenna.

Also locust is on locust.org. (Went to .com and it was for sale! ;)  ) I want to be able to bring as much of the stuff into one system as I can, to make it easier to use!
Oops. Thanks. I'll edit my post

I am the dummy in here, so I can speak your language. This is what we did:

1. Have 500mbs internet service.

2. Subscribed to HULU Live. We get most of what we had before and all our local channels.  Does not have NFL Network, but has all the other sports channels and then some. 

3. One TV is hooked up through the kids XBOX and we run HULU Live on that. 

4. One TV has google chromecast already on it, so we stream from our iphone or ipad on that one.

5. Our other two TV's I bought the google chromecast device and plugged it into the HDMI port in the back and stream through that. 

6. All the HULU channels and programs have the chromecast button, so it's easy to use for everyone. 

7. I also subscribe to ESPN+, and just chromecast from my iphone or ipad for that.

8. You could do the same for Disney+. We don't subscribe to that. 

9. I bought an antenna that I can plug in for local channels just as a backup. I think I spent like $80 on one that picks up signals for 40 miles.

Internet: $55/month

Hulu Subscription: $55/month

ESPN+: $5 a month

Total $115/month. Down from $190

TIA,

ETA: I should have mentioned our equipment. I have 3 TVS, All have AppleTVS (1 has a 4th Gen) 2 have FireSticks.  

Interesting, so I should be able to get all the Dallas local broadcasting of the Cowboys games right?  I can see why some peeps would want that to be illegal.  
Not sure yet on the sports. I'd assume so, but there's been no sports since I signed up. It appears to be the regular local broadcast.

Not sure yet on the sports. I'd assume so, but there's been no sports since I signed up. It appears to be the regular local broadcast.
Sure. 

To Joe Steelers point is that it is just rebroadcasting something that is free anyway. But, does the NFL trademark out rule certain zones or markets?  Will those channels go dark on locast on game day, if so is it by IP and you just VPN to Dallas. I hope we get to find out this year, would be another nail in the coffin to cable TV companies.  

Sure. 

To Joe Steelers point is that it is just rebroadcasting something that is free anyway. But, does the NFL trademark out rule certain zones or markets?  Will those channels go dark on locast on game day, if so is it by IP and you just VPN to Dallas. I hope we get to find out this year, would be another nail in the coffin to cable TV companies.  
It appears it is checkin IP addresses. After being flagged as Seattle market I was unable to watch Dallas channels. Then I logged out cleared cashe for that app, turned on VPN to Dallas then reactivated to app. Presto Dallas local channels.  

It appears it is checkin IP addresses. After being flagged as Seattle market I was unable to watch Dallas channels. Then I logged out cleared cashe for that app, turned on VPN to Dallas then reactivated to app. Presto Dallas local channels.  
Which vpn do you use? Looking into signing up for one

Run your antenna cable into a DVR unit (I use Amazon Fire Recast). It will then share all TV signals and recordings with all of the Fire Sticks in the house.

Just got this email from YouTubeTV:

To continue delivering the best content and service possible, we’re also updating our price for new and existing members to $64.99/month. Your base membership price will change on 08/27/2020. 

Still way cheaper than DTV, but any alternatives I should be looking at?  I really dig the YouTubeTV DVR functionality, so that is mandatory for me.

Just got this email from YouTubeTV:

To continue delivering the best content and service possible, we’re also updating our price for new and existing members to $64.99/month. Your base membership price will change on 08/27/2020. 

Still way cheaper than DTV, but any alternatives I should be looking at?  I really dig the YouTubeTV DVR functionality, so that is mandatory for me.
Just saw this as well. Likely dropping it as I don’t watch enough to justify $65 a month.

Hulu Live is starting to creep up there as well. 

Still saving a good amount each month, but keeping an eye on it. 

So this YouTube TV thing really sucks, I have no interest in any of their new channels and only got the service because I felt it was the best for sports. What's the best alternative, Hulu? They don't have the NBA channel but it looks like a decent replacement otherwise. 

are there any other worthwhile lesser known streaming TV services for sports (I watch college FB/BB, NFL, NBA, Premier League mainly) that you guys recommend outside of Hulu/Sling/Fubo?

also thanks for posting the Locast link, that one's definitely gonna be my go to for network TV since we live in a bad area for HD antenna reception. :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread