Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Addai's Adidas

We've cut the cable

17 hours ago, rustycolts said:

Yes but aren't you paying for the internet weather you have cable or not? I was paying for internet about 80 bucks plus 150 for DirecTV.  Youtubetv only 50 bucks saves me 100 a month.

You were paying $80 for internet and THEN $150 for DirectTV? I was paying $205 for cable and internet. Internet only = $80. Youtube = $50. $130 total.

Walked in to Xfinity store, dropped off my boxes and modem (bought my own) and asked for internet only quote. Immediately offered me internet and channels for $145 with taxes. $10 more for Starz (wife likes Outlander). So $155 compared to $130 to stream Youtube. Youtube also didn't have every channel we liked and, as I said, the stream was a bit jumpy.

I don't think cutting the cord is as big of a savings as it once was. And my wife refuses to use Kodi.

6 hours ago, Payne said:

You were paying $80 for internet and THEN $150 for DirectTV? I was paying $205 for cable and internet. Internet only = $80. Youtube = $50. $130 total.

Walked in to Xfinity store, dropped off my boxes and modem (bought my own) and asked for internet only quote. Immediately offered me internet and channels for $145 with taxes. $10 more for Starz (wife likes Outlander). So $155 compared to $130 to stream Youtube. Youtube also didn't have every channel we liked and, as I said, the stream was a bit jumpy.

I don't think cutting the cord is as big of a savings as it once was. And my wife refuses to use Kodi.

Yea no bundle that's why it was a no brainer for me

8 hours ago, Payne said:

It depends on your situation how much you can save but one big lure for me is no contracts. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JoeSteeler said:

I agree.  The cost of all the streaming services to get a good mix of shows is getting almost as bad as cable was.  

As a substitute for Kodi, I might suggest Plex.  I have recently added a tuner to my plex server and it does a nice job on the TV/DVR and its all in the same place with your movies and such. I also dropped netflix and hulu as the kids are watching youtube more than anything lately.  I instead have fired up the VPN again dusted off the old pirate hat.  It's just easier and you get everything, sports, movies, tv series, books.

Maybe cable will go back to being the best way, but I am liking this setup currently. 

14 hours ago, Payne said:

Just depends what programming you absolutely 'need'.

I think I'm paying as much now for Philo + Pluto + Youtube + Hulu ($18/mo total) as I did in the bullshlt charges Directv tried to throw at me in the past. Always can find free trials of some service anytime I have a desire to watch sports anymore. 

• Like 2

I don't have any IPTV, and I don't have a working antenna.

Any way to stream the Super Bowl?  I think I got it last year though a CBS Sports app or something.  Will the Fox Sports app work today, or will it ask for my cable company credentials?

ETA: Pregame coverage isn’t asking me for any credentials.

Edited by Tick

1 hour ago, Tick said:

Any way to stream the Super Bowl?  I think I got it last year though a CBS Sports app or something.  Will the Fox Sports app work today, or will it ask for my cable company credentials?

I believe they are offering it for free over the app.

1 hour ago, Tick said:

On my fireTV home screen today, when I selected the super bowl it showed the Fox Sports and NFL apps as free to stream the game

Not gonna read the whole thread, but I see some mentions of YouTube TV and curious of the experience.

Just initial research looks pretty nice.   $50 per month and still get live TV and sports from all the main channels that I'd care about.    No equipment but still can record shows on a cloud DVR. One little thing I read was how each family member has own account and each can go to their own personal DVR area so only sees shows they recorded or care about  (so I'm not seeing 25 episodes of Miraculous LadyBug and Ellen DeGeneres Game show!).

8 minutes ago, offdee said:

Not gonna read the whole thread, but I see some mentions of YouTube TV and curious of the experience.

Just initial research looks pretty nice.   $50 per month and still get live TV and sports from all the main channels that I'd care about.    No equipment but still can record shows on a cloud DVR. One little thing I read was how each family member has own account and each can go to their own personal DVR area so only sees shows they recorded or care about  (so I'm not seeing 25 episodes of Miraculous LadyBug and Ellen DeGeneres Game show!).

Give the free trial a shot. I did and found my stream to be a bit jumpy. Watching basketball was a nightmare. 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Payne said:

Give the free trial a shot. I did and found my stream to be a bit jumpy. Watching basketball was a nightmare. 

Ah yeah, that wouldn’t be worth it then. I’ll check the trial out. 

On 12/16/2019 at 11:20 AM, ChiefD said:

I am the dummy in here, so I can speak your language. This is what we did:

1. Have 100mbs internet service.

2. Subscribed to HULU Live. We get most of what we had before and all our local channels.  Does not have NFL Network, but has all the other sports channels and then some. 

3. One TV is hooked up through the kids XBOX and we run HULU Live on that. 

4. One TV has google chromecast already on it, so we stream from our iphone or ipad on that one.

5. Our other two TV's I bought the google chromecast device and plugged it into the HDMI port in the back and stream through that. 

6. All the HULU channels and programs have the chromecast button, so it's easy to use for everyone. 

7. I also subscribe to ESPN+, and just chromecast from my iphone or ipad for that.

8. You could do the same for Disney+. We don't subscribe to that. 

9. I bought an antenna that I can plug in for local channels just as a backup. I think I spent like $80 on one that picks up signals for 40 miles.

Internet: $55/month

Hulu Subscription: $55/month

ESPN+: $5 a month

Total $115/month. Down from $190

On 12/16/2019 at 11:39 AM, tonydead said:

I wrote a guide and have linked it in the past. Problem is that things move so fast it’s hard to keep it updated. 

Simple answer is that with internet speeds we have today there is zero reason to have satellite or cable tv companies, they are antiquated and should be extinct. 

1- get the cheapest internet service that you can. Buy your own modem and router to avoid monthly rental fees. 

2- get an OTA antenna for free HD local channels and more. Use to tvfool.com to see your signal strength and what type of antenna you need 

3- google around a bit and see what channel lineups the different streaming services have as they are always changing. Most have a free 7 day trial to test them out. 

4- go to the Terrarium thread and find out how to get previously aired tv shows and movies for free. 

OK, so what about Redzone? what streamer has that?

29 minutes ago, bicycle_seat_sniffer said:

OK, so what about Redzone? what streamer has that?

Sling TV, and Fubo TV have rezone included with their sports add on packs.  I just watch for free at nflbite.com.

Edited by tonydead

2 minutes ago, tonydead said:

Sling TV, Plastation Vue and Fubo TV all have rezone included with their sports add on packs.  I just watch for free at nflbite.com.

Sling was a huge disappointment for me. 

ETA: isn’t Vue toast?

Edited by Osaurus

3 minutes ago, Osaurus said:

Sling was a huge disappointment for me. 

ETA: isn’t Vue toast?

whoops my bad, i guess so

5 hours ago, offdee said:

Ah yeah, that wouldn’t be worth it then. I’ll check the trial out. 

I have been using YouTube TV since it came out and have experienced very few issues.  Usually any streaming issues are related to your internet service and/or your streaming device.

Usually, using a Smart TV as your streaming device will give a poor experience. I use two Apple TV 4K boxes, but Nvidia Shield and the better Rokus also work well.

Hard wire your boxes if possible as opposed to using WiFi.  I have 300MB Fiber internet service now, but had no problems when we had 60MB service previously.

6 hours ago, offdee said:

5 hours ago, Payne said:

I switched to youtube tv when psvue announced it would be ending and have been happy with it so for.  Good quality picture, no buffering issues.  The only downside was no NFL network, but the only current services that have NFL network as an option are Sling and Fubo.  Was not happy with sling at all as it was a very poor picture and Fubo doesn't have the other channels that the wife wants.

Cord has been cut!

After not carrying NBC for about 6 months last year, Uverse essentially told me they were raising my monthly rate $50/month when my promotions ran out.

My setup is currently:

- $46/month for internet with Spectrum

- Antenna for local channels

- Fire TV recast

- Amazon Prime ($50/yr), Netflix ($13/month) (had anyway, even with cable)

- Local sports teams mostly suck, so not worried about it. Using a torrent to stream an occasional college BBall game.

May have to do something for AMC when the new season of Better Call Saul comes out. Thinking Philo.

Saving about $130/month. Loving it.

• Like 4

On 2/3/2020 at 7:09 PM, nysfl2 said:

Cord has been cut!

After not carrying NBC for about 6 months last year, Uverse essentially told me they were raising my monthly rate $50/month when my promotions ran out.

My setup is currently:

- $46/month for internet with Spectrum

- Antenna for local channels

- Fire TV recast

- Amazon Prime ($50/yr), Netflix ($13/month) (had anyway, even with cable)

- Local sports teams mostly suck, so not worried about it. Using a torrent to stream an occasional college BBall game.

May have to do something for AMC when the new season of Better Call Saul comes out. Thinking Philo.

Saving about $130/month. Loving it.

Philo is good. I like it. All "live" shows start from the beginning like you had it on DVR. You can also choose to jump to "live" as well.

Just got a Facebook reminder that we cut the cord 5 years ago today.  :thumbup:

• Like 1