What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

We've cut the cable (2 Viewers)

So this YouTube TV thing really sucks, I have no interest in any of their new channels and only got the service because I felt it was the best for sports. What's the best alternative, Hulu? They don't have the NBA channel but it looks like a decent replacement otherwise. 

are there any other worthwhile lesser known streaming TV services for sports (I watch college FB/BB, NFL, NBA, Premier League mainly) that you guys recommend outside of Hulu/Sling/Fubo?

also thanks for posting the Locast link, that one's definitely gonna be my go to for network TV since we live in a bad area for HD antenna reception. :thumbup:
I’m happy about Paramount and Comedy Central, but yeah that’s a lot.

The supreme Court ruled something very similar was illegal a few years back. See the Aero case.
That's a cloud recorder.  I think that's somewhat consistent with DVRing OTA and redistributing it in the past (VHS tape or whatever).  And agree if Locast is doing that it would be illegal for them to do it.  Not for those watching the stream they send out though.

Use VPN if ever in doubt.

I switched to AT&T TV.  I get my wifi from them, and the package deal was much better than anything else based on my needs.  Yes, I had to sign a 2 year contract, which bugs me, but I'm locked in at a rate that costs less and gives me more than I was getting with Hulu.  I was about to move to YoutubeTV when I decided to give ATT a call, and it worked out for me.

YouTube tv just jacked their price up to 64.99 boooo
Yep, I'll be out of there by end of July.  Just need to figure out which option is best.  Sling was okay but lots of buffering for me and the guide is beyond awful.  Been a while since I've checked out Hulu TV.   Hell I may need to look at cable again

Yep, I'll be out of there by end of July.  Just need to figure out which option is best.  Sling was okay but lots of buffering for me and the guide is beyond awful.  Been a while since I've checked out Hulu TV.   Hell I may need to look at cable again
I tried Sling as well. Nearly unwatchable. 

Probably not the best time for Youtube to be raising prices.

Been using Philo for probably 2 years. Nothing but great things to say about it. Never have had a single issue. Far and away my best streaming experience. Pretty sure I've tried everything but Hulu Live. Has DVR.  Grandfathered in at $16/mo. Want to say it's $20 now for new signups.

If I wanted sports, I'd add Philo and then look for outside cheap sports packages. I personally don't watch many sports anymore. Anytime I consider doing it, (i.e. NBA playoffs), I just find a free or discounted first month trial somewhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
The supreme Court ruled something very similar was illegal a few years back. See the Aero case.
That's a cloud recorder.  I think that's somewhat consistent with DVRing OTA and redistributing it in the past (VHS tape or whatever).  And agree if Locast is doing that it would be illegal for them to do it.  Not for those watching the stream they send out though.

Use VPN if ever in doubt.
The major networks have all sued locast arguing it's the same thing as Aero. Anytime you are retransmitting their content without permission they will take notice. The article I linked says there is a portion of the copyright law that may permit this, so we'll see.  But the end user probably doesn't have to worry as the networks aren't going to go after individuals (most likely). 

The major networks have all sued locast arguing it's the same thing as Aero. Anytime you are retransmitting their content without permission they will take notice. The article I linked says there is a portion of the copyright law that may permit this, so we'll see.  But the end user probably doesn't have to worry as the networks aren't going to go after individuals (most likely). 
Sure. I get why they are suing. It's supposed to be live so I wonder if it (and the courts records) distinguishes between recording or not.  OTA is old technology. Theoretically I could just have an antenna in each viewing area and very long chords (via the internet) and I have trouble seeing how that would be illegal without rebroadcasting.  

Sure. I get why they are suing. It's supposed to be live so I wonder if it (and the courts records) distinguishes between recording or not.  OTA is old technology. Theoretically I could just have an antenna in each viewing area and very long chords (via the internet) and I have trouble seeing how that would be illegal without rebroadcasting. 
It's been a long time since I read the details of Aero, and I know nothing about locast, so I probably shouldn't comment further, but I'm not that bright so I will comment.

I'm pretty sure Aero also retransmitted live signals (and offered DVR). The issue isn't whether the signal is live or recorded, but simply whether you retransmit. Aero had individual antennas that people leased and like you say, sent the signals from the leased antenna to your device over a really long cable. Retransmitting to a few people might be okay, but retransmitting to lots of people will be illegal and is what got Aero in hot water. Based on the little I recall, locast seems exactly like Aero and will, IMO, be forced to close up shop. Could be wrong, so I'll just leave it at that. 

ETA: Apparently locast thinking it's different than Aero because they operate as a non profit. Link

I was going to pick up Youtube TV for 2 months to watch the MLS tournament, but I’m reconsidering. I need ESPN, ESPN 2, FS1, and Fox. Hulu TV would work, but I hated their interface the last time I tried it. Sling would require subscribing to both orange and blue. Fubo doesn’t have ESPN. Any other cheaper options?

I keep hearing people say that Sling has buffering issues, but I've had it for going on 5 years now and have never had that issue. The guide isn't the greatest, to be sure, but I know how to get to the channels that I watch all the time. In addition, I've been paying between $30-45 per month for it depending on which add-ons I've added or removed for those 5 years, saving me a ton of moola over that time. My main gripe with Sling is that it doesn't have all of the local channels, but I can live with that until the remaining locals are added.

I was going to pick up Youtube TV for 2 months to watch the MLS tournament, but I’m reconsidering. I need ESPN, ESPN 2, FS1, and Fox. Hulu TV would work, but I hated their interface the last time I tried it. Sling would require subscribing to both orange and blue. Fubo doesn’t have ESPN. Any other cheaper options?
Youtube TV has all those channels you listed.  Why are you reconsidering?

YouTube tv just jacked their price up to 64.99 boooo
So they're adding 8 ViacomCBS channels starting today: BET, CMT, Comedy Central, MTV, Nickelodeon, Paramount Network, TV Land and VH1. 

Not worth a price increase for me, but maybe this makes a difference for others.  Guess I won't mind having Comedy Central and Paramount now.

Probably not the best time for Youtube to be raising prices.

Been using Philo for probably 2 years. Nothing but great things to say about it. Never have had a single issue. Far and away my best streaming experience. Pretty sure I've tried everything but Hulu Live. Has DVR.  Grandfathered in at $16/mo. Want to say it's $20 now for new signups.

If I wanted sports, I'd add Philo and then look for outside cheap sports packages. I personally don't watch many sports anymore. Anytime I consider doing it, (i.e. NBA playoffs), I just find a free or discounted first month trial somewhere.
WHat about philo did you like compared to the others?  My uncle is looking at it but it seemed a bit shady when he said it asked him for his gmail login. 

Ok, tech question for y'all...

I'm headed to a beach house with the fam and the location doesn't have wifi or cable or anything. Since lots of things will be closed, the kids will want to do more steaming of TV than typical (usually we don't watch anything other than a few DVDs)

I can bring my roku, but how to get Internet to enable the stream?  We have a not-unlimited Verizon plan, and there's no way we can get a cable or even DSL hookup there as it's not our place.

DaVinci said:
Because they jacked up the price. Hulu is $10 cheaper.
Hulu raised prices 6 months ago and we had the exact same conversation about moving to YouTubeTV.  This will be a constant leapfrog game as things change over the years.  Nothing ever goes down in price.  I think you just have to find the content you like and just stick with it.  Personally I think HuluLive has excellent content.  The addition of FX shows have been a great addition.  I suspect since Disney is involved they have a plan and it is hard to not trust how Disney thinks.

Hulu raised prices 6 months ago and we had the exact same conversation about moving to YouTubeTV.  This will be a constant leapfrog game as things change over the years.  Nothing ever goes down in price.  I think you just have to find the content you like and just stick with it.  Personally I think HuluLive has excellent content.  The addition of FX shows have been a great addition.  I suspect since Disney is involved they have a plan and it is hard to not trust how Disney thinks.
:goodposting:

Hulu live has been great for us. Glad you mentioned Disney because I don’t know if a lot of people know they own Hulu. If I were Disney I would take this opportunity to cut prices a few dollars and grab as many new Hulu live sub they could. I doubt most people change around very often, even when there is a price increase.

The Z Machine said:

I'm headed to a beach house with the fam and the location doesn't have wifi or cable or anything. Since lots of things will be closed, the kids will want to do more steaming of TV than typical (usually we don't watch anything other than a few DVDs)

I can bring my roku, but how to get Internet to enable the stream?  We have a not-unlimited Verizon plan, and there's no way we can get a cable or even DSL hookup there as it's not our place.
Is there a way to get the unlimited plan for a month and use that as a hot spot? Would be cheaper than buying a portable hot spot and paying for that service.  Question is does Verizon have coverage there?

Is there a way to get the unlimited plan for a month and use that as a hot spot? Would be cheaper than buying a portable hot spot and paying for that service.  Question is does Verizon have coverage there?
Yes, Verizon has good coverage there from my memory.  I know I've hotspotted before.

Are the "unlimited" plans truly unlimited?  Can I really suck down 100GB of data without them speed limiting?

For those HULU Live people, we had been paying the extra $10 a month for unlimited screens. You get two screens at a time with your basic rate.

After being on this for a year now, we rarely use more than two screens at a time. So I cancelled that yesterday. May be a way to save a cool ten dollars a month.

The Z Machine said:

It's really odd for a house these days that is being rented out (assuming it's a rental) to NOT have wifi or even a little cable jack somewhere.

Can you switch up the house?

As you mention in the other post, I'd be concerned with Verizon limiting the usage if your intent is to use it to stream movies and what not.

It's really odd for a house these days that is being rented out (assuming it's a rental) to NOT have wifi or even a little cable jack somewhere.

Can you switch up the house?

As you mention in the other post, I'd be concerned with Verizon limiting the usage if your intent is to use it to stream movies and what not.
It's a friend's beach house.  We use it for free.  Plus, they are selling it at the end of the month, so this is the last chance to use it before it's gone.

They have been really nice and let us use it each summer for the last 4 years.  We typically stay a week, maybe 10 days.

PinkydaPimp said:
WHat about philo did you like compared to the others?  My uncle is looking at it but it seemed a bit shady when he said it asked him for his gmail login. 
Simple interface/guide. (And No lag BS like I experienced with other services when I toggle through guide)

I REALLY like that if I'm late, let's say, 50 minutes to a program......it starts from the beginning of it.

Some channels (maybe all?) it makes the last 3 days of programming available on demand (outside of the programming you already DVR). Also a search function that you can watch past programming on demand (stuff that you don't otherwise favorite to DVR)

In ~2 years, I don't remember any buffering issue (or any technical issues period).

It'd probably take them doubling my current price to even consider getting rid of. You get 3 accounts/streams.

Amazon 4K fire stick on sale for $25 for some accounts. Not sure how long it will last (usually $50). Have one on the way, 

Amazon 4K fire stick on sale for $25 for some accounts. Not sure how long it will last (usually $50). Have one on the way, 
Thanks. Ordered it. I have a bunch but I like the new remotes with the TV controls way better and the remotes are more expensive. Planning on getting a new bedroom TV at some point since we are getting rid of the dresser/entertainment center. I may replace some of the other older Firesticks once prime day or Black Friday sales come around. They’ve been half off before and again will likely be way less than a new remote. One day when traveling gets back in vogue it will be nice to have extra ones.

Finally did it with DirecTV.  Oddly, it felt great.

I still have AT&T wifi, any reason not to keep them?  What's the next move here?  I need to be up and running in this new dimension by Saturday.  I would like the ability to dvr and I think it was AT&T who told me they rent boxes for that at 10 bucks a month.  Can I just buy one? 

And having skimmed this last page, I see now that prices appear to be rising in this arena.  Is there an easy answer?  We like all the basic cable stuff we've always been getting.  I am a Prime member, if that helps.  Not interested in pinching pennies, btw.  Would like to have a decent array of channels with ease of use.

Thanks.

Rodrigo Duterte said:

I still have AT&T wifi, any reason not to keep them?  What's the next move here?  I need to be up and running in this new dimension by Saturday.  I would like the ability to dvr and I think it was AT&T who told me they rent boxes for that at 10 bucks a month.  Can I just buy one? 

And having skimmed this last page, I see now that prices appear to be rising in this arena.  Is there an easy answer?  We like all the basic cable stuff we've always been getting.  I am a Prime member, if that helps.  Not interested in pinching pennies, btw.  Would like to have a decent array of channels with ease of use.

Thanks.
Youtubetv. All the cable channels for the most part. Also unlimited DVR. Price did go up to 65 bucks though.

Rodrigo Duterte said:

Thanks.
We have AT&T TV Now. Have had it for a couple years I think. Works great. Have converted a bunch of family members to it. Between that, your Prime Video, and if you get Netflix, you’ll have everything you need. (We also use Disney+). 

Rodrigo Duterte said:

Thanks.
you can get Hulu life + ESPN+ + Disney+ for $61.99/mo if that interests you. ($67.99 if you want Hulu ad free)

https://www.hulu.com/disney-bundle-hulu-live

Have Hulu live and zero buffering issues. Includes 50 hours of Cloud DVR storage..which I really don't use because most shows I watch are able to be viewed on Hulu on demand. Mostly just use it for sports.

you can get Hulu life + ESPN+ + Disney+ for $61.99/mo if that interests you. ($67.99 if you want Hulu ad free)

https://www.hulu.com/disney-bundle-hulu-live

Have Hulu live and zero buffering issues. Includes 50 hours of Cloud DVR storage..which I really don't use because most shows I watch are able to be viewed on Hulu on demand. Mostly just use it for sports.
This is what I have along with Netflix and Amazon Prime (and my free year of Apple TV+) - definitely not a lack of shows to watch, when they were happening more sports than I could really need, and a fairly easy interface.

This is what I have along with Netflix and Amazon Prime (and my free year of Apple TV+) - definitely not a lack of shows to watch, when they were happening more sports than I could really need, and a fairly easy interface.
Exactly what I have as well...have honestly thought hard about cancelling Netflix 

hulu live Is nice because it has the local Indians network, not sure the other streaming services do

Exactly what I have as well...have honestly thought hard about cancelling Netflix 

hulu live Is nice because it has the local Indians network, not sure the other streaming services do
We'll keep Netflix as there are enough shows that we find that it remains worth it for a relatively low cost - just watched a 3-4 part series on the Mafia in NY, primarily on the FBI teams and how they essentially were able to go after the heads of all the families - not "must watch", but I ended up watching the whole thing in an afternoon. Little things like that keep me a subscriber.

The drawback I have to Netflix and Amazon shows is that they are usually shows that I want to watch and want to pay attention to, they are not good choices when I want the background noise to fall asleep to - that's actually where I really love Hulu Live - can easily flip to a late night talk show, Simpsons or Futurama reruns, etc. and then I don't mind falling asleep to it.

Preparing to finally go this route. 

Upgraded the internet to giga. 800-1000 hard wired. Going to buy a new tv.  What should I hardwire?  The tv, the new fire stick, the Xbox?  I have my desktop currently hardwired. Wireless is in the 400-500 range. 

And then, what to subscribe to?  Already have prime, Netflix and Disney +. Sounds like Hulu is the way to go, especially for sports. What does espn+ get you?  Sports was the main reason I’ve kept direct tv all these years.  

And will a VPN throttle my speed at all?

thx all!

Ditched Direct TV last week.

Signed up for Youtube TV today.

Need some help.

I can access the BOISE LOCAL NBC station on my computer YT account.

I'm logged in fine on my TV.   Why is the NBC station on my TV "WNBC", and not the BOISE LOCAL NBC?   I'm sure it's an easy fix, but I can't figure it out.

Also, I signed up for 85 channels.  WHERE IS THE CHANNEL GUIDE on Youtube?  Is there not one?

TIA.

No channel guide, there is just channels. No numbers. Go down the ‘live’ menu to see what’s on. 

I don’t know why you’re local affiliate isn’t coming through. 

No channel guide, there is just channels. No numbers. Go down the ‘live’ menu to see what’s on. 

I don’t know why you’re local affiliate isn’t coming through. 
Not seeing a "Live" menu
SEARCH
HOME
NEWS
MUSIC
GAMING
MOVIES and SHOWS
SUBSCRIPTIONS
LIBRARY

Not sure where you see that. I'm on YTTV on Fire TV and when I start the app, I have three selections at the top middle of the screen: Library Home Live
I see that  I wrote on my TV, while logged in there.

I see what you described on my laptop, logged in.   I want to see   "Library. Home Live" on my TV.

I see that  I wrote on my TV, while logged in there.

I see what you described on my laptop, logged in.   I want to see   "Library. Home Live" on my TV.
That’s weird. I also have never seen what you described. What’s on your laptop should be the same as on your tv. 

That’s weird. I also have never seen what you described. What’s on your laptop should be the same as on your tv. 
So I've downloaded the app to my phone just now, and can control live TV on my TV from my phone.  Just weird that it cant be controlled if only in TV mode 

Anyone had issues with Hulu randomly telling you you are no longer in your "Home" area? 

This happened once earlier this year and their suggestion was to say "Yes" to being in a new area - well, that changed all my stations from the local ones in Orange County/Los Angeles to Palm Springs for about 10 days before it reset itself back to my area, but it used up 1 of the 4 "moves" you are allowed per year.

I changed out my router to an Orbi system this weekend and it worked fine from Saturday until this morning. Not sure if related, but getting the same You are not at Home error message.

I'm hoping if I give it a few hours or the rest of the day it will resolve itself, but any other advice other than to say I have moved again and find out what random location they are seeing me being at?

Anyone had issues with Hulu randomly telling you you are no longer in your "Home" area? 

This happened once earlier this year and their suggestion was to say "Yes" to being in a new area - well, that changed all my stations from the local ones in Orange County/Los Angeles to Palm Springs for about 10 days before it reset itself back to my area, but it used up 1 of the 4 "moves" you are allowed per year.

I changed out my router to an Orbi system this weekend and it worked fine from Saturday until this morning. Not sure if related, but getting the same You are not at Home error message.

I'm hoping if I give it a few hours or the rest of the day it will resolve itself, but any other advice other than to say I have moved again and find out what random location they are seeing me being at?
No issues like that for me..I know if you go on their website you can set your location...at least that is how it was before.

Users who are viewing this thread