Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Addai's Adidas

We've cut the cable

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, DaVinci said:

Because they jacked up the price. Hulu is $10 cheaper.

For now

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Craig_MiamiFL said:

Probably not the best time for Youtube to be raising prices.

Been using Philo for probably 2 years. Nothing but great things to say about it. Never have had a single issue. Far and away my best streaming experience. Pretty sure I've tried everything but Hulu Live. Has DVR.  Grandfathered in at $16/mo. Want to say it's $20 now for new signups.

If I wanted sports, I'd add Philo and then look for outside cheap sports packages. I personally don't watch many sports anymore. Anytime I consider doing it, (i.e. NBA playoffs), I just find a free or discounted first month trial somewhere.

WHat about philo did you like compared to the others?  My uncle is looking at it but it seemed a bit shady when he said it asked him for his gmail login. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, tech question for y'all...

I'm headed to a beach house with the fam and the location doesn't have wifi or cable or anything. Since lots of things will be closed, the kids will want to do more steaming of TV than typical (usually we don't watch anything other than a few DVDs)

I can bring my roku, but how to get Internet to enable the stream?  We have a not-unlimited Verizon plan, and there's no way we can get a cable or even DSL hookup there as it's not our place.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, DaVinci said:

Because they jacked up the price. Hulu is $10 cheaper.

Hulu raised prices 6 months ago and we had the exact same conversation about moving to YouTubeTV.  This will be a constant leapfrog game as things change over the years.  Nothing ever goes down in price.  I think you just have to find the content you like and just stick with it.  Personally I think HuluLive has excellent content.  The addition of FX shows have been a great addition.  I suspect since Disney is involved they have a plan and it is hard to not trust how Disney thinks.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, schlesinj said:

Hulu raised prices 6 months ago and we had the exact same conversation about moving to YouTubeTV.  This will be a constant leapfrog game as things change over the years.  Nothing ever goes down in price.  I think you just have to find the content you like and just stick with it.  Personally I think HuluLive has excellent content.  The addition of FX shows have been a great addition.  I suspect since Disney is involved they have a plan and it is hard to not trust how Disney thinks.

:goodposting:

Hulu live has been great for us. Glad you mentioned Disney because I don’t know if a lot of people know they own Hulu. If I were Disney I would take this opportunity to cut prices a few dollars and grab as many new Hulu live sub they could. I doubt most people change around very often, even when there is a price increase.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, The Z Machine said:

Ok, tech question for y'all...

I'm headed to a beach house with the fam and the location doesn't have wifi or cable or anything. Since lots of things will be closed, the kids will want to do more steaming of TV than typical (usually we don't watch anything other than a few DVDs)

I can bring my roku, but how to get Internet to enable the stream?  We have a not-unlimited Verizon plan, and there's no way we can get a cable or even DSL hookup there as it's not our place.

Is there a way to get the unlimited plan for a month and use that as a hot spot? Would be cheaper than buying a portable hot spot and paying for that service.  Question is does Verizon have coverage there?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, JaxBill said:

Is there a way to get the unlimited plan for a month and use that as a hot spot? Would be cheaper than buying a portable hot spot and paying for that service.  Question is does Verizon have coverage there?

Yes, Verizon has good coverage there from my memory.  I know I've hotspotted before.

Are the "unlimited" plans truly unlimited?  Can I really suck down 100GB of data without them speed limiting?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For those HULU Live people, we had been paying the extra $10 a month for unlimited screens. You get two screens at a time with your basic rate.

After being on this for a year now, we rarely use more than two screens at a time. So I cancelled that yesterday. May be a way to save a cool ten dollars a month.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, The Z Machine said:

Ok, tech question for y'all...

I'm headed to a beach house with the fam and the location doesn't have wifi or cable or anything. Since lots of things will be closed, the kids will want to do more steaming of TV than typical (usually we don't watch anything other than a few DVDs)

I can bring my roku, but how to get Internet to enable the stream?  We have a not-unlimited Verizon plan, and there's no way we can get a cable or even DSL hookup there as it's not our place.

It's really odd for a house these days that is being rented out (assuming it's a rental) to NOT have wifi or even a little cable jack somewhere.

Can you switch up the house?

As you mention in the other post, I'd be concerned with Verizon limiting the usage if your intent is to use it to stream movies and what not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, eoMMan said:

It's really odd for a house these days that is being rented out (assuming it's a rental) to NOT have wifi or even a little cable jack somewhere.

Can you switch up the house?

As you mention in the other post, I'd be concerned with Verizon limiting the usage if your intent is to use it to stream movies and what not.

It's a friend's beach house.  We use it for free.  Plus, they are selling it at the end of the month, so this is the last chance to use it before it's gone.

They have been really nice and let us use it each summer for the last 4 years.  We typically stay a week, maybe 10 days.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, PinkydaPimp said:

WHat about philo did you like compared to the others?  My uncle is looking at it but it seemed a bit shady when he said it asked him for his gmail login. 

Simple interface/guide. (And No lag BS like I experienced with other services when I toggle through guide)

I REALLY like that if I'm late, let's say, 50 minutes to a program......it starts from the beginning of it.

Some channels (maybe all?) it makes the last 3 days of programming available on demand (outside of the programming you already DVR). Also a search function that you can watch past programming on demand (stuff that you don't otherwise favorite to DVR)

In ~2 years, I don't remember any buffering issue (or any technical issues period).

It'd probably take them doubling my current price to even consider getting rid of. You get 3 accounts/streams.

Edited by Craig_MiamiFL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good article about the negotiations between the aggregators (Roku/Amazon) vs. the content providers (HBO Max/Peacock).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Amazon 4K fire stick on sale for $25 for some accounts. Not sure how long it will last (usually $50). Have one on the way, 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, [icon] said:

Amazon 4K fire stick on sale for $25 for some accounts. Not sure how long it will last (usually $50). Have one on the way, 

Thanks. Ordered it. I have a bunch but I like the new remotes with the TV controls way better and the remotes are more expensive. Planning on getting a new bedroom TV at some point since we are getting rid of the dresser/entertainment center. I may replace some of the other older Firesticks once prime day or Black Friday sales come around. They’ve been half off before and again will likely be way less than a new remote. One day when traveling gets back in vogue it will be nice to have extra ones.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finally did it with DirecTV.  Oddly, it felt great.

I still have AT&T wifi, any reason not to keep them?  What's the next move here?  I need to be up and running in this new dimension by Saturday.  I would like the ability to dvr and I think it was AT&T who told me they rent boxes for that at 10 bucks a month.  Can I just buy one? 

And having skimmed this last page, I see now that prices appear to be rising in this arena.  Is there an easy answer?  We like all the basic cable stuff we've always been getting.  I am a Prime member, if that helps.  Not interested in pinching pennies, btw.  Would like to have a decent array of channels with ease of use.

Thanks.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Rodrigo Duterte said:

Finally did it with DirecTV.  Oddly, it felt great.

I still have AT&T wifi, any reason not to keep them?  What's the next move here?  I need to be up and running in this new dimension by Saturday.  I would like the ability to dvr and I think it was AT&T who told me they rent boxes for that at 10 bucks a month.  Can I just buy one? 

And having skimmed this last page, I see now that prices appear to be rising in this arena.  Is there an easy answer?  We like all the basic cable stuff we've always been getting.  I am a Prime member, if that helps.  Not interested in pinching pennies, btw.  Would like to have a decent array of channels with ease of use.

Thanks.

Youtubetv. All the cable channels for the most part. Also unlimited DVR. Price did go up to 65 bucks though.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Rodrigo Duterte said:

Finally did it with DirecTV.  Oddly, it felt great.

I still have AT&T wifi, any reason not to keep them?  What's the next move here?  I need to be up and running in this new dimension by Saturday.  I would like the ability to dvr and I think it was AT&T who told me they rent boxes for that at 10 bucks a month.  Can I just buy one? 

And having skimmed this last page, I see now that prices appear to be rising in this arena.  Is there an easy answer?  We like all the basic cable stuff we've always been getting.  I am a Prime member, if that helps.  Not interested in pinching pennies, btw.  Would like to have a decent array of channels with ease of use.

Thanks.

We have AT&T TV Now. Have had it for a couple years I think. Works great. Have converted a bunch of family members to it. Between that, your Prime Video, and if you get Netflix, you’ll have everything you need. (We also use Disney+). 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, Rodrigo Duterte said:

Finally did it with DirecTV.  Oddly, it felt great.

I still have AT&T wifi, any reason not to keep them?  What's the next move here?  I need to be up and running in this new dimension by Saturday.  I would like the ability to dvr and I think it was AT&T who told me they rent boxes for that at 10 bucks a month.  Can I just buy one? 

And having skimmed this last page, I see now that prices appear to be rising in this arena.  Is there an easy answer?  We like all the basic cable stuff we've always been getting.  I am a Prime member, if that helps.  Not interested in pinching pennies, btw.  Would like to have a decent array of channels with ease of use.

Thanks.

you can get Hulu life + ESPN+ + Disney+ for $61.99/mo if that interests you. ($67.99 if you want Hulu ad free)

https://www.hulu.com/disney-bundle-hulu-live

Have Hulu live and zero buffering issues. Includes 50 hours of Cloud DVR storage..which I really don't use because most shows I watch are able to be viewed on Hulu on demand. Mostly just use it for sports.

Edited by JoeSteeler
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JoeSteeler said:

you can get Hulu life + ESPN+ + Disney+ for $61.99/mo if that interests you. ($67.99 if you want Hulu ad free)

https://www.hulu.com/disney-bundle-hulu-live

Have Hulu live and zero buffering issues. Includes 50 hours of Cloud DVR storage..which I really don't use because most shows I watch are able to be viewed on Hulu on demand. Mostly just use it for sports.

This is what I have along with Netflix and Amazon Prime (and my free year of Apple TV+) - definitely not a lack of shows to watch, when they were happening more sports than I could really need, and a fairly easy interface.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, acarey50 said:

This is what I have along with Netflix and Amazon Prime (and my free year of Apple TV+) - definitely not a lack of shows to watch, when they were happening more sports than I could really need, and a fairly easy interface.

Exactly what I have as well...have honestly thought hard about cancelling Netflix 

hulu live Is nice because it has the local Indians network, not sure the other streaming services do

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, JoeSteeler said:

Exactly what I have as well...have honestly thought hard about cancelling Netflix 

hulu live Is nice because it has the local Indians network, not sure the other streaming services do

We'll keep Netflix as there are enough shows that we find that it remains worth it for a relatively low cost - just watched a 3-4 part series on the Mafia in NY, primarily on the FBI teams and how they essentially were able to go after the heads of all the families - not "must watch", but I ended up watching the whole thing in an afternoon. Little things like that keep me a subscriber.

The drawback I have to Netflix and Amazon shows is that they are usually shows that I want to watch and want to pay attention to, they are not good choices when I want the background noise to fall asleep to - that's actually where I really love Hulu Live - can easily flip to a late night talk show, Simpsons or Futurama reruns, etc. and then I don't mind falling asleep to it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Preparing to finally go this route. 

Upgraded the internet to giga. 800-1000 hard wired. Going to buy a new tv.  What should I hardwire?  The tv, the new fire stick, the Xbox?  I have my desktop currently hardwired. Wireless is in the 400-500 range. 

And then, what to subscribe to?  Already have prime, Netflix and Disney +. Sounds like Hulu is the way to go, especially for sports. What does espn+ get you?  Sports was the main reason I’ve kept direct tv all these years.  

And will a VPN throttle my speed at all?

thx all!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ditched Direct TV last week.

Signed up for Youtube TV today.

Need some help.

I can access the BOISE LOCAL NBC station on my computer YT account.

I'm logged in fine on my TV.   Why is the NBC station on my TV "WNBC", and not the BOISE LOCAL NBC?   I'm sure it's an easy fix, but I can't figure it out.

Also, I signed up for 85 channels.  WHERE IS THE CHANNEL GUIDE on Youtube?  Is there not one?

TIA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No channel guide, there is just channels. No numbers. Go down the ‘live’ menu to see what’s on. 
 

I don’t know why you’re local affiliate isn’t coming through. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Capella said:

No channel guide, there is just channels. No numbers. Go down the ‘live’ menu to see what’s on. 
 

I don’t know why you’re local affiliate isn’t coming through. 

Not seeing a "Live" menu
SEARCH
HOME
NEWS
MUSIC
GAMING
MOVIES and SHOWS
SUBSCRIPTIONS
LIBRARY

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Getzlaf15 said:

Not seeing a "Live" menu
SEARCH
HOME
NEWS
MUSIC
GAMING
MOVIES and SHOWS
SUBSCRIPTIONS
LIBRARY

Not sure where you see that. I'm on YTTV on Fire TV and when I start the app, I have three selections at the top middle of the screen: Library Home Live

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, ConstruxBoy said:

Not sure where you see that. I'm on YTTV on Fire TV and when I start the app, I have three selections at the top middle of the screen: Library Home Live

 

I see that  I wrote on my TV, while logged in there.

I see what you described on my laptop, logged in.   I want to see   "Library. Home Live" on my TV.

Edited by Getzlaf15

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Getzlaf15 said:

I see that  I wrote on my TV, while logged in there.

I see what you described on my laptop, logged in.   I want to see   "Library. Home Live" on my TV.

Hmm...not sure why they would be different. Mine are the same no matter what the device. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Getzlaf15 said:

I see that  I wrote on my TV, while logged in there.

I see what you described on my laptop, logged in.   I want to see   "Library. Home Live" on my TV.

That’s weird. I also have never seen what you described. What’s on your laptop should be the same as on your tv. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Capella said:

That’s weird. I also have never seen what you described. What’s on your laptop should be the same as on your tv. 

So I've downloaded the app to my phone just now, and can control live TV on my TV from my phone.  Just weird that it cant be controlled if only in TV mode 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone had issues with Hulu randomly telling you you are no longer in your "Home" area? 

This happened once earlier this year and their suggestion was to say "Yes" to being in a new area - well, that changed all my stations from the local ones in Orange County/Los Angeles to Palm Springs for about 10 days before it reset itself back to my area, but it used up 1 of the 4 "moves" you are allowed per year.

I changed out my router to an Orbi system this weekend and it worked fine from Saturday until this morning. Not sure if related, but getting the same You are not at Home error message.

I'm hoping if I give it a few hours or the rest of the day it will resolve itself, but any other advice other than to say I have moved again and find out what random location they are seeing me being at?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, acarey50 said:

Anyone had issues with Hulu randomly telling you you are no longer in your "Home" area? 

This happened once earlier this year and their suggestion was to say "Yes" to being in a new area - well, that changed all my stations from the local ones in Orange County/Los Angeles to Palm Springs for about 10 days before it reset itself back to my area, but it used up 1 of the 4 "moves" you are allowed per year.

I changed out my router to an Orbi system this weekend and it worked fine from Saturday until this morning. Not sure if related, but getting the same You are not at Home error message.

I'm hoping if I give it a few hours or the rest of the day it will resolve itself, but any other advice other than to say I have moved again and find out what random location they are seeing me being at?

No issues like that for me..I know if you go on their website you can set your location...at least that is how it was before.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Capella said:

No channel guide, there is just channels. No numbers. Go down the ‘live’ menu to see what’s on. 
 

I don’t know why you’re local affiliate isn’t coming through. 

no channel guide on YouTube Tv? Weird

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Getzlaf15 said:

Ditched Direct TV last week.

Signed up for Youtube TV today.

Need some help.

I can access the BOISE LOCAL NBC station on my computer YT account.

I'm logged in fine on my TV.   Why is the NBC station on my TV "WNBC", and not the BOISE LOCAL NBC?   I'm sure it's an easy fix, but I can't figure it out.

Also, I signed up for 85 channels.  WHERE IS THE CHANNEL GUIDE on Youtube?  Is there not one?

TIA.

did you look into Hulu live? have had it for several months and no issues - they also have a channel guide lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, acarey50 said:

Anyone had issues with Hulu randomly telling you you are no longer in your "Home" area? 

This happened once earlier this year and their suggestion was to say "Yes" to being in a new area - well, that changed all my stations from the local ones in Orange County/Los Angeles to Palm Springs for about 10 days before it reset itself back to my area, but it used up 1 of the 4 "moves" you are allowed per year.

I changed out my router to an Orbi system this weekend and it worked fine from Saturday until this morning. Not sure if related, but getting the same You are not at Home error message.

I'm hoping if I give it a few hours or the rest of the day it will resolve itself, but any other advice other than to say I have moved again and find out what random location they are seeing me being at?

They only allow you to use Live from one location. My son switched it last year while at college and I had to change it back. It’s kind of annoying if you have a situation like that. I almost switched to YouTube, who doesn’t have that, but then they hiked up their price. A device can use it in a different location as long as it comes home every 30 days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, JoeSteeler said:

did you look into Hulu live? have had it for several months and no issues - they also have a channel guide lol

Hulu didnt have some channels I wanted.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, JoeSteeler said:

no channel guide on YouTube Tv? Weird

Not traditional. Shows you what is on now and in the next few hours. There are no channel numbers so you just scroll down to ABC or whatever. But you can also organize the channels to whatever order you like. I like that. 

Edited by Capella
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, stbugs said:

They only allow you to use Live from one location. My son switched it last year while at college and I had to change it back. It’s kind of annoying if you have a situation like that. I almost switched to YouTube, who doesn’t have that, but then they hiked up their price. A device can use it in a different location as long as it comes home every 30 days.

Thing is I have not moved and have only ever used our house as our "Home" location.  This is the second time this year after 2 years of no issues where it is saying that my IP address and my "Home" do not match.

When I go online to set my home from the Hulu site, it picks up my current zip code, which my home was always set to, but says I need to use one of my "moves" to reset it. A bit frustrating - I just don't want to reset my home, even though it shows my current zip as home, if it is going to assign a random zip again as it did last time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

so what are we planning on doing for out-of-market football this year?  Sunday Ticket available?  Stream?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm debating just going without TV.  I have Netflix, Amazon Prime, and cut off everything else earlier this summer.  I'd like to have locals and sports but I'm done paying for all kinds of crap I don't want.  The only things I'm watching are sports and the wife likes the cooking shows.  Literally everything else is a waste.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, moleculo said:

so what are we planning on doing for out-of-market football this year?  Sunday Ticket available?  Stream?

Been researching this myself since I probably won't be going to the bar to watch. Here's what I've come up with, other than give in and get Direct TV which isn't going to happen:

1) Get a college student to buy me the streaming version of Sunday Ticket.  

2) Set up a VPN and subscribe to the international version of Gamepass.

3) Try and find streams each week.

4) Buy a Sunday Ticket subscription on ebay and hope for the best.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ron Swanson said:

Been researching this myself since I probably won't be going to the bar to watch. Here's what I've come up with, other than give in and get Direct TV which isn't going to happen:

1) Get a college student to buy me the streaming version of Sunday Ticket.  

2) Set up a VPN and subscribe to the international version of Gamepass.

3) Try and find streams each week.

4) Buy a Sunday Ticket subscription on ebay and hope for the best.

I did this last season. It was a PITA bc I was casting from a tablet initially and had to have a VPN installed on it as well as what I was casting on (NVIDIA Shield) otherwise it was blocked. Registration also sucks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ron Swanson said:

Been researching this myself since I probably won't be going to the bar to watch. Here's what I've come up with, other than give in and get Direct TV which isn't going to happen:

1) Get a college student to buy me the streaming version of Sunday Ticket.  

2) Set up a VPN and subscribe to the international version of Gamepass.

3) Try and find streams each week.

4) Buy a Sunday Ticket subscription on ebay and hope for the best.

#2 and #3 have worked for me.  
 

Honestly #2 paying $130 or so knowing you will get every game you want plus red zone isn’t that bad an option. 
 

#3 nflbite dot com provided solid free streams all year last year. They were the guys that did nfl streams on Reddit before it got banned.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Getzlaf15 said:

I see that  I wrote on my TV, while logged in there.

I see what you described on my laptop, logged in.   I want to see   "Library. Home Live" on my TV.

Try going to youtubetv on your phone or laptop. In the right hand corner there is icon for your account. Click on that then go to settings to live tv then check all channels you want to see. That might solve it. It is wierd though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I second NFLBite for Sunday games. I've NEVER not found a good stream there. Sometimes you gotta try 2 or 3 to get a good HD stream, but it literally takes less than a minute to find a good one.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/31/2020 at 3:01 PM, Foosball God said:

I'm debating just going without TV.  I have Netflix, Amazon Prime, and cut off everything else earlier this summer.  I'd like to have locals and sports but I'm done paying for all kinds of crap I don't want.  The only things I'm watching are sports and the wife likes the cooking shows.  Literally everything else is a waste.

So much this. I literally need like 5 channels for sports and I'm good. And it's gotten to the point where I'll just do without. Youtube TV was a good option at $50. With the price hike, I'm right back to where I used to be.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, gianmarco said:

So much this. I literally need like 5 channels for sports and I'm good. And it's gotten to the point where I'll just do without. Youtube TV was a good option at $50. With the price hike, I'm right back to where I used to be.

Yep, I was on YouTube TV until they raised the price.  I was looking at Philo last night a bit.  $20 for like 50 channels and the list is pretty good, but unfortunately no locals and no sports so it's really not solving my biggest problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Youtubetv, HBO and Netflix can all be split if you have a friend who’s shows you don’t mind seeing in your saved list etc. Can get all 3 for a split cost of like $45. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.