What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

We've cut the cable (6 Viewers)

:blackdot: I recently cut the cable and am running through series on Netflix too quickly

Y. I was afraid I was going to cave.

Kind of garbage channels fill the sling menu. How about AMC, Discovery and the History Channel? Who wants ABC family, adult swim? This could have been gold with 10 or so top channels.

17seconds said:
Worm said:
Wow, game changer imo.
Apparently they are unable to keep from giving you channels when you have the internet signal in there.

Has this been discussed before? (big thread)
They can actually stop the signal but the cable would have to come out and install the wire (forgot what it's called).

However, if you have Time Warner they are converting to digital so you will eventually lose all the channels.

Anyone try this? Mediasonic HW-150PVR

Converts Digital Broadcast to your Analog TV, Analog Pass Through, Favorite Channel List, Parental Control Function

Auto Tuning, HDMI 1080P Output / YPbPr output / Coaxial Output, Closed Caption,
Real-Time recording & Programmed Time Recording, Auto, 16:9 Pillar Box, 16:9 Pan G Scan, 4:3 Letter Box, 4:3 Pan G Scan, 4:3 Full, 16:9 Wide Screen
Timing Start Up & Shut Down, USB Multimedia Player

http://www.free-tv-video-online.me/

This is what I've run across. There are a ton of links for each episode not all of which are cool (some dump malware/popups on your computer) but I've settled on stuff hosted on movshare.net and not had any problems. Episodes are usually up day of or day after.

I need to replace my expense for my land line phone. The wife absolutely needs to have one still for some reason. However I am sick and tired of paying $19.99 a month for a redundant service. Her main hangup is "what if our cells go down and the kids need to call?"

So I can use an online service. Anyone have any experience with Magicjack or some such thing? Is there a better service out there that isn't costly and can allow me to keep my name listed in the phone book?

I need to replace my expense for my land line phone. The wife absolutely needs to have one still for some reason. However I am sick and tired of paying $19.99 a month for a redundant service. Her main hangup is "what if our cells go down and the kids need to call?"

So I can use an online service. Anyone have any experience with Magicjack or some such thing? Is there a better service out there that isn't costly and can allow me to keep my name listed in the phone book?
I've heard solid things about Magicjack, but if your internet is out, then...

Last edited by a moderator:

Google Voice + ObHai. Most phonebooks will let you list whatever number you want for a fee. Not sure why you would choose to do that and expose yourself to telemarketers, but it's an option.

You are still ####ed if internet goes down, but don't mention that in the sales pitch. If in the situation that internet goes down GV will still ring your cell phones and you will get missed call texts to your cell and emails.

17seconds said:
I cut the cable and went internet only. Plugged the coax into the back of my TV and I still get 100 channels. The major networks are in HD, the rest of it in SD. I don't think it is going away because they told me they already turned it off and the box I had stopped working.

Should have done this years ago. It's not worth $90/mo to get ESPN in HD.
This didn't work with my tv. I think you need some type of tuner or something included? I have a Samsung 1080p from 2007.

For the longest time my wife held on to this argument as well. We live close to Charlotte, NC. The innernets never go down, cell coverage has never gone down, both kids have cell phones, every kid they know has at least one cell phone as do their parents. I finally told her she's an idiot for shelling out an extra $20 a month for a service that only telemarketers use. If the innernets & cell both go down there is something more going on than just a typical outage.

For the longest time my wife held on to this argument as well. We live close to Charlotte, NC. The innernets never go down, cell coverage has never gone down, both kids have cell phones, every kid they know has at least one cell phone as do their parents. I finally told her she's an idiot for shelling out an extra $20 a month for a service that only telemarketers use. If the innernets & cell both go down there is something more going on than just a typical outage.
How do you like that area? I have often thought of relocating from Upper Michigan to the Charlotte area.

Fantastic. This + OTA antenna + Netflix/Amazon Prime should completely replace a $200+ cable bill for about $75.
Aren't they hair going to raise the cost for Internet?
I think for my speed tier, this is how it breaks out for the 2-year locked price for Comcast:

- Blast Internet w/own equipment, no TV ~ $80/month

- Blast Internet w/own equipment, TV w/ X1 non-DVR box, all Basic channels, Sports package, and HBO - $110 out the door.

Between all the live sports channels and basic channels I'm getting, and the anvil that is their Internet only option, there's no upside to quitting for me. It might actually cost more to get less and easily be more annoying to piece meal it to "give them the finger" and do internet-only TV.

Something really needs to happen bigger picture with the internet-only price gouging.

How do you like that area? I have often thought of relocating from Upper Michigan to the Charlotte area.
You should call the truck today and don't even think about it. We moved from OH in 2007 having lived there all our lives. Moved in January just as it was getting ####ty during a very cold winter. In February stuff starts turning green and you are finally getting over seeing the sun & blue skies every single day. Wife & I both agreed we would never go back.

It was 26 this morning, high of 54 today bright blue skies & sunshine. 90% of the time that is a typical winter day here. Trade off is it's Africa hot from May to September but I'll take it. We're actually just over the border in South Carolina. There is a Charlotte thread rolling around here someplace, lots of good info in there. Run, don't walk outta that hideous place you call home...GO BUCKS!

Kind of garbage channels fill the sling menu. How about AMC, Discovery and the History Channel? Who wants ABC family, adult swim? This could have been gold with 10 or so top channels.
i think this is a kind of grab-bag for different audiences. there's sports, family friendly and kid, news and maybe a lady-centric added to the mix. a little something for everyone there without making the cable providers too cranky.

Sabertooth said:

We've been using MJ for the last 3-4 years. It works perfect about 97% of the time. The sound is clear, but we're using high speed cable internet with it. The biggest problem I notice, is that sometimes it just doesn't work. Occasionally you won't get a dial tone, or you dial a number and it doesn't make the call. When this happens I just turn off/on the router/modem/magic jack. I plugged everything into one of the old computer power supplies with a switch for each piece of hardware. It's easy enough to reset that my wife can fix it if there's a problem

As a bonus, they have MJ android app that you can use to make and receive calls via wifi. Adds an extra handset when you are at home, or you could use it on the road if you want to save cellular minutes (if this is even a thing anymore)

Walking Boot said:
culdeus said:
Sabertooth said:

Google Voice + ObHai. Most phonebooks will let you list whatever number you want for a fee. Not sure why you would choose to do that and expose yourself to telemarketers, but it's an option.

You are still ####ed if internet goes down, but don't mention that in the sales pitch. If in the situation that internet goes down GV will still ring your cell phones and you will get missed call texts to your cell and emails.
Thought that didn't work anymore?Edit: it was down for nine months or so but looks like it works again: http://blog.obihai.com/2013/10/important-message-about-google-voice.html?m=1
It was never down. I've been using it for a few years. Google never pulled the plug like many thought.

Anyone remember the widespread blackout about 10 years ago? Little seemed to be immune. Land lines eventually lost line voltage. Cell phone towers were overloaded. Around here att is tricking people to switching to uverse which switches their land lines to voip based technology. The giveaway is the ups battery pack they include to keep dial tone the first few hours power is lost. During my last extended outage I was running off generator but I eventually lost Internet when the cable service ran out of backup power to the amplifiers out on the poles.

proninja said:
If, in addition to espn, I can get the regional network (which DISH has) that televises Mariners games, I am 100% in. Haven't had cable in years.
Sounds like local sports channels aren't in the plans.

proninja said:
proninja said:
If, in addition to espn, I can get the regional network (which DISH has) that televises Mariners games, I am 100% in. Haven't had cable in years.
Damn. I read they were looking at an additional sports package. Where'd you find that info?
One of the articles I read yesterday, not sure which one. Scanned around for it and couldn't find it.

proninja said:
proninja said:
Damn. I read they were looking at an additional sports package. Where'd you find that info?
One of the articles I read yesterday, not sure which one. Scanned around for it and couldn't find it.
That was the Dish one. They said in the future they planned on specialty add ons with sports being one of them.

proninja said:
proninja said:
That was the Dish one. They said in the future they planned on specialty add ons with sports being one of them.
They are going to offer a sports add on but it won't included local sports channels, from what I read.

There's no practical way to do the fox affiliates on a streaming basis. The world would spin off it's orbit into the sun. The entire landscape of everything would shift dramatically. Contracts for pro athletes and salary caps would be decimated.

ESPN may decide to do this, but FSN can't. They simply will be the last holdouts till they are worried their market will completely collapse.

Their market being people that don't actually watch FSN. They are the ones paying the quarter billion salaries right now.

proninja said:
proninja said:
They are going to offer a sports add on but it won't included local sports channels, from what I read.
i could see them bundling NFL, MLB, NHL, and NBA since they are available for streaming anyway. they're just not going to get the local sports.

proninja said:
proninja said:
i could see them bundling NFL, MLB, NHL, and NBA since they are available for streaming anyway. they're just not going to get the local sports.
That's a pretty limited market. MLB says they have less than 100k subscribers to their plan, and most I imagine are focusing on their out of town team in a different market or are cable cutters using a DNS unblocker. I really doubt there are more than 10-20k hardcore fans that just want to watch a ton of different games. TNT/TBS being part of this gives NBA fans 90% of what they would want anyways which is the studio show and some decent games.

Since this time last year, I dropped my landline and went to Ooma, dropped DirectTV for alternatives and dropped Sprint to move to Ting.

Before:

Landline - $35/mo

DirectTV - $160/mo

Sprint - $160/mo

$355/mo

Ooma - $5/mo

Hulu Plus - $8/mo

Amazon Prime - Free (I buy it for the shipping so the streaming is gravy).

Netflix DVD - $11/mo (a method to get movies that are currently showing on movie channels without doing PPV essentially)

Ting - $60/mo (3 lines)

$84/mo

$271/mo savings per month by using modern day alternatives to traditional utilities.

I do think you need to add amazon prime into that monthly figure
I would use Prime without the movies. I do more of my shopping on Amazon than brick and mortar stores, so I consider that cost just in my everyday shopping. If you can say that, I don't think you have to add it into the price of your media consumption.

I have prime but rarely use the streaming service, with Netflix and hulu I feel like im not missing out on much

I have prime but rarely use the streaming service, with Netflix and hulu I feel like im not missing out on much
Amazon is really adding a ton of good stuff. They are on a trajectory that is going to overtake Netflix soon in all areas. Plus they have the PPV options on movies that Netflix won't get for years, if ever.

I'm on track to drop Netflix probably mid-year, or sooner to save cash flow for the dish streambox service.

I would use Prime without the movies. I do more of my shopping on Amazon than brick and mortar stores, so I consider that cost just in my everyday shopping. If you can say that, I don't think you have to add it into the price of your media consumption.
Exactly. I've had Prime for something like 10 years. The streaming is a bonus to me, not it's raison d'etre

Exactly. I've had Prime for something like 10 years. The streaming is a bonus to me, not it's raison d'etre
Yup we had Prime before streaming came around. Purchased it for the fast shipping. Anything after that is a bonus IMO.

Was paying $180 for phone(I never even connected one), internet and TV.

I bought 2 OTA antennas and I had another one from years ago.

So we get roughly 30 channels over the air, including both versions (Baltimore & DC) of the local channels.

Amazon

Netflix

We get HBO go by (ab)using my parents code on our streaming devices but can live without it.

I'm saving about $100/mo. This way. (I included prime in my calculations. =p )

So we get roughly 30 channels over the air, including both versions (Baltimore & DC) of the local channels.

Amazon

Netflix

We get HBO go by (ab)using my parents code on our streaming devices but can live without it.

Question about OTA Antennas, would I need one for every TV?

Amazon

Netflix

Question about OTA Antennas, would I need one for every TV?
Depends on how you are setup. If your house has coax from cable. Then no.

Users who are viewing this thread