What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

We've cut the cable (9 Viewers)

RBM said:
I tried Sling and cancelled within an hour. I don't have Roku, and maybe the UX is better there, but iOS and Mac apps are pretty terrible. I streamed to AppleTV and picture quality was poor. Interface is overall confusing and clunky. Love that they're starting the wave of disruption of bundled cable, but for me this is not ready for prime time. I'll stick with U-Verse despite loathing AT&T until the concept and the experience collide.
Can other Sling users comment on picture quality? If this is the norm I won't even look into it.
You get a 7 day free trial. I'd just try it for yourself. I've had next to no issues using Roku.

I had 2 minor bouts with pixelation on Saturday. Been watching basketball this evening and zero issue so far. As mentioned prior, quality is tied with bandwidth.

Between ESPN/ESPN2 and ESPN3 through WatchESPN App, it's a bargain if you're a sports fan. If you're not a sports fan, I'm not sure this is the right thing for you. Right now you can pick from 8 college basketball games (10 if you pay the extra $5) plus the NBA doubleheader on TNT.

Got the invite for SlingTV and cancelled that day.

No problems with SlingTV picture quality.

Have been watching Walking Dead and just started season 3.

Maybe I'll catch up in time for when they add AMC to Sling TV.

Signed up for Sling... like it quite a bit so far. No buffering issues, picture is mostly clear (not quite as clear as Directv but not bad either). Some channels are pixely for a second or two when I first change the channel but it goes away quickly.

I'm using a Roku 3 with a 20 down / 5 up connecton... pretty normal.

Between the Disney channels for the kids, ESPN for me and HGTV for the wife I don't think we'll really miss much. Add in the local antenna and MLB.tv and that's 90% of what I watch. Only thing I would miss is MLB network.

Edit to add... just tested it on the Roku stick we have on the bedroom TV (further away from the router) and it also works great.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well... maybe I spoke too soon. For some reason ESPN, ESPN2 and ABC Family don't work at all. They're all the same company so maybe there's an issue with the feed, but thats not a good sign 1 day in. Other channels like Food Network and HGTV work fine.

Well... maybe I spoke too soon. For some reason ESPN, ESPN2 and ABC Family don't work at all. They're all the same company so maybe there's an issue with the feed, but thats not a good sign 1 day in. Other channels like Food Network and HGTV work fine.
ESPN is working fine for me now. Using Fire Stick. :shrug:

Just quit Xfinity TV cold turkey. My beloved plasma TV died, making my choice that much easier.

I'm working strictly with Netflix and HuluPlus, and a 23 inch all-in-one PC (and a laptop, and a Nexus 7 tablet, and a sweet phone). Amazon Prime expiration date came and went; I would have renewed but they can't muster the resources to create an app which lets me stream to a PC, or my Nexus.

I feel like a weight as been lifted. I did not realize it at the time, but I felt obligated to watch TV with all the Xfinity crap - all the time. The only downside is lack of live sports, but I'll get by until the live sports providers figure out that they have to come to me. In the meantime my local Buffalo Wild Wings will get a couple of hundred extra from me every year. ... BWW, et al, really ought to build an ad campaign around cutting the cord.

Yea it works on my iPad just fine, but I tried it on the Roku3 and Roku stick and both had issues... strange. I have a Fire TV box too so maybe Ill try that.

I gave them a call, apparently there's a debug mode where they can log the way the box receives their signal to help trouble shoot it... I'll give that a whirl.

I don't mind giving them a little slack because I really want this to work... so sick of cable companies

Just quit Xfinity TV cold turkey. My beloved plasma TV died, making my choice that much easier.

I'm working strictly with Netflix and HuluPlus, and a 23 inch all-in-one PC (and a laptop, and a Nexus 7 tablet, and a sweet phone). Amazon Prime expiration date came and went; I would have renewed but they can't muster the resources to create an app which lets me stream to a PC, or my Nexus.

I feel like a weight as been lifted. I did not realize it at the time, but I felt obligated to watch TV with all the Xfinity crap - all the time. The only downside is lack of live sports, but I'll get by until the live sports providers figure out that they have to come to me. In the meantime my local Buffalo Wild Wings will get a couple of hundred extra from me every year. ... BWW, et al, really ought to build an ad campaign around cutting the cord.
Yeah, I'm about to do the same. Part of my issue is that, thanks to Kodi (if you're into illegal stuff), I hardly ever use my Xfinity cable anymore except to make sure Gotham and Better Call Saul are downloaded. With Kodi (and setting aside ethics), I get just about everything I can get with cable.

Yea it works on my iPad just fine, but I tried it on the Roku3 and Roku stick and both had issues... strange. I have a Fire TV box too so maybe Ill try that.

I gave them a call, apparently there's a debug mode where they can log the way the box receives their signal to help trouble shoot it... I'll give that a whirl.

I don't mind giving them a little slack because I really want this to work... so sick of cable companies
Tried it on the Amazon TV and it works fine now... I'd say the issue is with my box but I tried it on two separate devices (Roku3 and Stick) so thats a little strange. Oh well... as long as it works on something I guess... I figured itd be a bit buggy

I am very close to ditching UVerse TV for OTA/sling/netflix/hulu+/amazon prime. picture quality will take a hit (with the OTA exception) and we'll lose some channels , but it will be about 1/3rd of what I'm paying now.

I may call AT&T and and give them a final chance to cut my bill for another year but the clock is absolutely ticking.

Anyone tried out the Roamio, Tablo or SimpleTV as an OTA DVR? Just curious of your experience.

Sounds like Roamio is great but $15 for Tivo's service is a little much. Leaning toward Tablo and their $5 a month package instead, but it sounds like it has a few quirks that give me pause.

Sling offering free Fire or Roku sticks or half off boxes with 3 month committment.

http://www.cnet.com/news/sling-tv-offers-free-amazon-fire-tv-stick-roku-streaming-stick-half-price-boxes/
Pretty good deal. Which stick is better ( :unsure: )? The Roku or Amazon?
I've had the Fire Stick and, while it does it's absolute best to keep you in the Amazon ecosystem, it's also pretty easy to root it and get Kodi on it. It seems to have a decent amount of pep for handling streaming video.

Meanwhile, I've heard Sling TV is sluggish on the Roku Streaming Stick, which doesn't seem t be a very strong machine overall.

If you're going with a Stick in this deal, definitely go Fire TV Stick.

I'd pony up the $50 and grab the Roku 3 box instead of either free stick - in my opinion the Roku 3 works so much better than either stick. In fact, that's what I'll end up doing and will put the Roku 3 in my bedroom (I already have one downstairs).

I agree with Joker... the Roku stick and Amazon stick are both nice and have a reasonable price (especially for free) but if it's something you're going to use quite a bit the upgrade to a Roku 3 or FireTV box are worth it. I prefer Roku 3 out of all of them but everyone has their own favorite.

Like Brady said, all Amazon products are great if you plan on using Prime Instant Video the majority of the time, but the Roku doesn't favor one channel over another so you can set it how you want it.

http://deadline.com/2015/02/sling-tv-adds-amc-sports-1201369355/

AMC added to the base package

Additional sports package added for $5 a month
Interesting that their sports pack is ESPN/ABC centric and no NBC/CBS.

I get why Comcast-owned NBC wouldn't be in the mx.

In another change, Sling unveiled a Sports Extra pack, for an additional $5 a month. It includes SEC Network, ESPNEWS, ESPNU, ESPN Buzzer Beater, ESPN Bases Loaded, ESPN Goal Line, Universal Sports, Univision Deportes, and beIN Sports.

I agree with Joker... the Roku stick and Amazon stick are both nice and have a reasonable price (especially for free) but if it's something you're going to use quite a bit the upgrade to a Roku 3 or FireTV box are worth it. I prefer Roku 3 out of all of them but everyone has their own favorite.

Like Brady said, all Amazon products are great if you plan on using Prime Instant Video the majority of the time, but the Roku doesn't favor one channel over another so you can set it how you want it.
I concur on the Roku 3. Of all the devices, it stands out.

It's what I actually ended up getting when I went with this deal. :thumbup:

What is the best way to go if I just want to stream what I am looking at on the internet from my pc? Sometimes there are things that I would like to share with the family ...or sometimes just the wife.

Most of the time its various things from Youtube ...or other various video related sites.

I have a blu-ray player we use for our netflix, hulu type stuff already.

What is the best way to go if I just want to stream what I am looking at on the internet from my pc? Sometimes there are things that I would like to share with the family ...or sometimes just the wife.

Most of the time its various things from Youtube ...or other various video related sites.

Chromecast. So easy even my wife accepts it.

Tks - and it really is plug and play? Do I need to use a bluetooth usb on my laptop to connect? (my laptop doesn't have it integrated)

I'd pony up the $50 and grab the Roku 3 box instead of either free stick - in my opinion the Roku 3 works so much better than either stick. In fact, that's what I'll end up doing and will put the Roku 3 in my bedroom (I already have one downstairs).
I agree with this.

Stick to Stick I'd take Roku. Roku 3 loads a bit faster than Roku stick with Sling.

Signed up and chose the Roku 3.

Hasn't arrived yet, of course, but when I tried out the service on my Roku 2 I have to say...I was pretty impressed. The streaming quality was really good. Works well on my Android phone too.

Since ESPN is about all I'd watch on it, I'm not sure I'll keep renewing though. But hey, thanks for $50 off a new Roku.

Tks - and it really is plug and play? Do I need to use a bluetooth usb on my laptop to connect? (my laptop doesn't have it integrated)
It operates on your home wifi network. No bluetooth required. Basically you plug it in, download an app for your phone (which will see the new Chromecast in your house) and follow the instructions. Really easy.

After that, you get a button in your browser or in the app which allows you to "cast" the content to the Chromecast. So easy even my wife uses it (and she gets frustrated with new technology very easy).

tldr

Man, I really could use Guidebook that lists all the different options for the different hardware/software/channels/services that isn't 32 pages of posts long.

Andy Dufresne said:
Holy cow...ESPN shows commercials about every 90 seconds. :wall:
Ever listened to ESPN radio? I think they spend more time in commercials than the show. And the show has commercial spots they read as well. Mike and Mike is the worst. Unlistenable

tonydead said:
tldr

Man, I really could use Guidebook that lists all the different options for the different hardware/software/channels/services that isn't 32 pages of posts long.
- Roku 3 is the best all around device

- Digital Antenna reception is surprisingly good

- Netflix and Amazon Prime are good for movies and TV series > 1 yr

- Hulu is good for watching most popular TV shows the next day (and has commercials)

- SlingTV lets you stream a handful of popular channels including ESPN/ESPN2 for $20 a month

- MLB, NBA, NHL have streaming options, but you can't get your local teams without using an out of area proxy

Andy Dufresne said:
Holy cow...ESPN shows commercials about every 90 seconds. :wall:
Ever listened to ESPN radio? I think they spend more time in commercials than the show. And the show has commercial spots they read as well. Mike and Mike is the worst. Unlistenable
Yeah, it really tempers my enthusiasm for this project, even though it really does work most excellently.

tonydead said:
tldr

- Hulu is good for watching most popular TV shows the next day (and has commercials)

- SlingTV lets you stream a handful of popular channels including ESPN/ESPN2 for $20 a month

- MLB, NBA, NHL have streaming options, but you can't get your local teams without using an out of area proxy
+ a decent over the air antenna for major and local networks and I watch considerably more tv with the cord cut.

I am a full year into cutting the cable and we will never go back. I might consider a $20/mo plan if it includes Mets games, but otherwise not. It's been great not paying $100+ a month for crap we just don't watch. YMMV, but building my HTPC was one of the best cost saving moves I've ever made.

tonydead said:
tldr

+ a decent over the air antenna for major and local networks and I watch considerably more tv with the cord cut.
:goodposting:

I'd add that if you have a bunch of apple devices, the apple tv is a good option.

tonydead said:
tldr

I'd add that if you have a bunch of apple devices, the apple tv is a good option.
Thanks guys. I'm starting to make a list here and hopefully I'll have a bunch more questions in the near future.

Does the Ruko 3 stream media files from a PC connected to the home network? What does the Ruko do that an XBOX1 can't?

I'm also considering a VPN service to help with the pro sports streaming as well as current movies and show if anyone knows stuff about that (PMs work).

I am a full year into cutting the cable and we will never go back. I might consider a $20/mo plan if it includes Mets games, but otherwise not. It's been great not paying $100+ a month for crap we just don't watch. YMMV, but building my HTPC was one of the best cost saving moves I've ever made.
I used to build PCs as a hobby so I probably have enough parts siting around to make a HTPC. Do you care to share what you did hardware/software wise? Maybe you already posted that somewhere? TIA

I'm hearing the sling on xbox is delayed indefinitely for some technical hurdles. My guess is MS wants a cut and sling won't play ball.

Was convinced to sign up for Sling with the $50 off Fire TV (came out to $34). HGTV and Food Network were the two shows my wife watched (thankfully no Bravo included).

tonydead said:
tldr

Bought this antenna and was amazed by the channels it picked up.

tonydead said:
tldr

Where do you have it set up?My problem is I can't position it near a window and I'm in a 1st floor apartment in a 50 year old building.

Also, how does it do with VHF channels? We have a major local station that is VHF.

tonydead said:
tldr

Thanks guys. I'm starting to make a list here and hopefully I'll have a bunch more questions in the near future.

Does the Ruko 3 stream media files from a PC connected to the home network? What does the Ruko do that an XBOX1 can't?

I'm also considering a VPN service to help with the pro sports streaming as well as current movies and show if anyone knows stuff about that (PMs work).
A VPN doesn't help you "find" current movies that aren't otherwise available. All it does really is make it look like you're browsing from somewhere else in the country or world. Also helps to make your surfing more private but it's never 100% private.

I use PrivateInternetAccess right now. Worked like a champ to get around the great firewall in China when I was traveling there. Also helps me get around location restrictions for sports.

tonydead said:
tldr

Where do you have it set up?My problem is I can't position it near a window and I'm in a 1st floor apartment in a 50 year old building.

Also, how does it do with VHF channels? We have a major local station that is VHF.
Wasn't sure how well it would work but I put it on the back of the TV stand on the first floor, with the broad side facing east where the signals are coming from. I'm in an area with strong signals (Los Angeles) though.

tonydead said:
tldr

Wasn't sure how well it would work but I put it on the back of the TV stand on the first floor, with the broad side facing east where the signals are coming from. I'm in an area with strong signals (Los Angeles) though.
I see. Mine will be facing due east and the signals will come from the northeast, so hopefully it works. Last time I tried, my antenna wasn't amplified and it missed the VHF channel while being sketchy on the others.

Edit: in Memphis for what it's worth. Most signals are within 10-15 miles.

A VPN doesn't help you "find" current movies that aren't otherwise available. All it does really is make it look like you're browsing from somewhere else in the country or world. Also helps to make your surfing more private but it's never 100% private.

I use PrivateInternetAccess right now. Worked like a champ to get around the great firewall in China when I was traveling there. Also helps me get around location restrictions for sports.
Understood. I know how to find movies and shows, I just want to do it as anonymously as I can. I'm more interested in live streaming of sports etc. I don't mind time-shifting for shows, but, sports needs to be live and I've heard things like NFL is free for IP addreses outside the USA.

I used to build PCs as a hobby so I probably have enough parts siting around to make a HTPC. Do you care to share what you did hardware/software wise? Maybe you already posted that somewhere? TIA
i5 gen intel 4670 3.4 ghz LGA 1150 and asrock z87 extreme4 mobo/proc, bundled - $275 for both at Microcenter

Silverstone tek atx sst lc10b e Case- $135 Amazon (not sold on this, but it's in the running)

Samsung 840 series 120 SSD - $97 Amazon

Placeholder for storage- need a 4TB drive, looking for the best price, need suggestions here

Asus DVD/BR burner/player- $79 after mail in rebate, Microcenter

4GB Ram Corsair Vengence ddr3 1600 Memory - $49 (leaning 8GB if I want to use the Colossus without hiccups)

Hauppauge Colossus - $80 eBay, important for my Directv cable provider. Plus I will get some usage out of burning all home movies onto bluray

Wired my connection

Logitech keyboard - $30

Windows 7 a should be able to get a student discount for ~$75

I think I stayed pretty close to this, but this is not the final spec sheet.

i5 gen intel 4670 3.4 ghz LGA 1150 and asrock z87 extreme4 mobo/proc, bundled - $275 for both at Microcenter

Silverstone tek atx sst lc10b e Case- $135 Amazon (not sold on this, but it's in the running)

Placeholder for storage- need a 4TB drive, looking for the best price, need suggestions here

4GB Ram Corsair Vengence ddr3 1600 Memory - $49 (leaning 8GB if I want to use the Colossus without hiccups)

Hauppauge Colossus - $80 eBay, important for my Directv cable provider. Plus I will get some usage out of burning all home movies onto bluray

Wired my connection

Logitech keyboard - $30

Impressive. Case whisper quiet? Solid state drive helps I bet, that's what I was thinking. I wish I had a microcenter near where I live now. asrock rocks.

Wired my connection

Logitech keyboard - $30

Impressive. Case whisper quiet? Solid state drive helps I bet, that's what I was thinking. I wish I had a microcenter near where I live now. asrock rocks.
I don't even hear the machine running (it runs 24/7, it's never been shut down). The case has 5-7 bays for storage, so I will never need anything else. The computer can do anything, including unlimited DVR storage capability.

tonydead said:
tldr

Has anybody compared it to a Mohu Leaf 50? That's what I have and most channels are on the hairy edge of coming in. I have to put it in a 2nd floor window and make sure my coax run is not too long. I'd upgrade if this thing is proven to pull in signals 5-10+ miles further.

I use the Amazon basics Mohu Leaf ripoff. Although I live at a high point within Seattle's city limits, I live in a brick house which interferes with my cellular signal as well as my TV signal. The next size up from the basic one is considerably better for me and I've debated trying out an amplified one for my basement.

Users who are viewing this thread