What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

We've cut the cable (2 Viewers)

I watch a ton of TV and no way would i give up the convenience of cable to patch together some of the channels i watch to save a few bucks. That said i have Netflix and HBO Go which i dont watch enough of, so i decided the new smart TV in our guest room doesnt need a cable box and im going to use that one specifically for binge watching netflix and hbo series i missed the first time around. On season 2 of Breaking Bad.

I watch a ton of TV and no way would i give up the convenience of cable to patch together some of the channels i watch to save a few bucks. That said i have Netflix and HBO Go which i dont watch enough of, so i decided the new smart TV in our guest room doesnt need a cable box and im going to use that one specifically for binge watching netflix and hbo series i missed the first time around. On season 2 of Breaking Bad.
Well yea, if you watch a ton of TV then it's worth paying. My parents watch a lot of TV and my dad likes watching a lot of specialty car shows so they could never cut the cable without changing what they do.

In our house we watch kids shows most of the day, I watch baseball and football in season and any regular network show we just DVR so for us there's no point in paying an extra $1200-1400 a year when I could just do the same thing on Sling/Hulu/Antenna.

tldr

Man, I really could use Guidebook that lists all the different options for the different hardware/software/channels/services that isn't 32 pages of posts long.
- Roku 3 is the best all around device

- Digital Antenna reception is surprisingly good

- Netflix and Amazon Prime are good for movies and TV series > 1 yr

- Hulu is good for watching most popular TV shows the next day (and has commercials)

- SlingTV lets you stream a handful of popular channels including ESPN/ESPN2 for $20 a month

- MLB, NBA, NHL have streaming options, but you can't get your local teams without using an out of area proxy
+ a decent over the air antenna for major and local networks and I watch considerably more tv with the cord cut.
Bought this antenna and was amazed by the channels it picked up.
Where do you have it set up?My problem is I can't position it near a window and I'm in a 1st floor apartment in a 50 year old building.

Also, how does it do with VHF channels? We have a major local station that is VHF.
I'm very impressed with this antenna. I already have a nice whole house attic antenna. I was helping MIL with a new installation and found this same winegard for a good price and decided to buy another for myself at the same time as quick solution for a tv MIL was giving us as she was downsizing to a new home. I thought it was a quick way to start using it instead of waiting to pull a new cable run from the whole house distribution splitter. Positioned in the best spots it picks up two VHF stations well. Including one about 25 miles away. What I found interesting is that the best installation position is furthest away from the window and actually perpendicular to the tower locations rather than parallel. I'm not sure why. Maybe the strongest stations are too strong when parallel and the signal is saturated? Whatever, i'm very impressed.

Don't see the need to have cable ever again after getting Sling.

- $20/mo. Sling for ESPN, channels my wife (HGTV and Food Network) and daughter like (Disney)

- OTA antenna for network/PBS stations

- $99/year Amazon Prime with a Fire Stick/Fire TV

- WDTV Live Hub for anything I download

~$240 a year, which includes 2 day Amazon shipping.

Those of you that "borrow" passwords espn now authenticates watchespn for DTV user base and they do not carrier restrict. I wonder if this was a shot directly at sling.

- $20/mo. Sling for ESPN, channels my wife (HGTV and Food Network) and daughter like (Disney)

Sling has been a little choppy at times, but it is perfect for me. I also utilize amazon prime and buy individual episodes of vikings and walking dead. throw in mlb.tv and I don't miss cable at all. Big money saver. now if HBO would offer hbogo as a stand alone, it would be even better. I was really hoping they would announce that before next season of Game of Thrones.

It may be that I have no morals, but with youtube on fire there is not a single show that I can't watch, commercial free - including any premium channel shows, and going back to Season 1 for most shows.

If it ever goes away, it will take some getting used to having to watch shows with commercials ...

Those of you that "borrow" passwords espn now authenticates watchespn for DTV user base and they do not carrier restrict. I wonder if this was a shot directly at sling.
Thanks. DirecTV has been absent from ESPN's list for so long I had given up. Appreciate the heads-up.

Balco said:
cstu said:

Sling has been a little choppy at times, but it is perfect for me. I also utilize amazon prime and buy individual episodes of vikings and walking dead. throw in mlb.tv and I don't miss cable at all. Big money saver. now if HBO would offer hbogo as a stand alone, it would be even better. I was really hoping they would announce that before next season of Game of Thrones.
Last I heard they're going stand alone in April (unless they hit a snag... it's been a few mos) so you should have it in time for season 5

Anyone tried both Roku3 and Fire TV?

I tried Roku3 for couple weeks (bought to use for Sling) and just took back. Gonna do SlingTV offer and deciding which to buy. Didn't have any problems with Roku3 really with Sling but wondering if Fire TV may be better. I've read Fire TV is a bit quicker in navigating menus.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone tried both Roku3 and Fire TV?

I tried Roku3 for couple weeks (bought to use for Sling) and just took back. Gonna do SlingTV offer and deciding which to buy. Didn't have any problems with Roku3 really with Sling but wondering if Fire TV may be better. I've read Fire TV is a bit quicker in navigating menus.
Fire TV has a faster processor and works well but it really steers you toward Amazon. For example... Roku has all of the apps on the home screen and you choose what you want to watch, whereas FireTV's interface starts off with all the shows Prime Instant Video has and if you want to watch Netflix or something you have to go to the apps section and install it.

Overall it's a nice little unit that works very well but if you're not an amazon power user Roku is probably better for most people.

Balco said:
cstu said:

Last I heard they're going stand alone in April (unless they hit a snag... it's been a few mos) so you should have it in time for season 5
Holy cow, that is awesome. Has anyone mentioned possible price?

I am a full year into cutting the cable and we will never go back. I might consider a $20/mo plan if it includes Mets games, but otherwise not. It's been great not paying $100+ a month for crap we just don't watch. YMMV, but building my HTPC was one of the best cost saving moves I've ever made.
Same here, saving nearly $2k per year and not missing anything really. Sure i'd like to see me some new Deadliest Catch and a handful of other shows. But it really doesnt affect my life if I don't watch them. I just find something else to do

Balco said:
cstu said:

They said it would be roughly what the cable outlets charge. Whatever that means.

Balco said:
cstu said:

They said it would be roughly what the cable outlets charge. Whatever that means.
Probably 15 to 20 I would guess. It is worth it for me just to watch Game of Thrones. Cancel after season.

Craig_MiamiFL said:
It's really a great antenna.

For those interested, you can go to tv fool.com and input your address and it will show you all the stations broadcasting in your area, as well as signal strength and tower locations. From what I have seen, it is dead on in relation to this digital antenna (if tv fool says you should get that station, you will with this antenna)

Officially cut the cord...er... dish today. DirecTV was surprisingly easy to cancel, I read they gave some people a really hard time about canceling. I was done with it in less than 15 minutes.

I am a moron when it comes to implementing things like this. That said, great info and a great concept ... I'm trying to assemble the best combination of choices based on what we usually watch (local networks, ESPN, Food Network, then some movies / AMC shows would cover 95+%). An OTA antenna + Apple TV / Roku + Amazon Prime + Sling (?? see below) is likely our best bet.

My question - I don't see anything in search here re: AT&T Uverse ... the Sling system seems to a Direct TV gig (?). Do I need to cancel Uverse and switch to DTV? Internet is the other piece of the puzzle - I hate how much Uverse internet costs have risen, suppose I'd need to make a switch there too.

Appreciate any thoughts.

I am a moron when it comes to implementing things like this. That said, great info and a great concept ... I'm trying to assemble the best combination of choices based on what we usually watch (local networks, ESPN, Food Network, then some movies / AMC shows would cover 95+%). An OTA antenna + Apple TV / Roku + Amazon Prime + Sling (?? see below) is likely our best bet.

My question - I don't see anything in search here re: AT&T Uverse ... the Sling system seems to a Direct TV gig (?). Do I need to cancel Uverse and switch to DTV? Internet is the other piece of the puzzle - I hate how much Uverse internet costs have risen, suppose I'd need to make a switch there too.

Appreciate any thoughts.
You're on the right track with your assessment.

For local TV you'll need a digital HD antenna (either one outdoor antenna wired up through your cable or a bunch of small antennas like this one that we use).

If you plan on using Amazon and/or Sling don't use Apple TV... theyre not compatible at this point. I prefer Roku but Amazon Fire TV is a nice box too if you're a heavy Amazon user.

Sling has all of the channels you listed but AMC but they're rumored to be in talks with them so it may be added soon. For movies you can do Netflix or Amazon Prime mostly. There are some other smaller services that have movies too.

Sling is owned by Dish Network (not Directv), but don't sign up with the regular Dish Network service, it's separate. All you need to do is go to Sling.com and sync it with your streaming media player (Roku or Amazon Fire TV)... only took me about 5 mins to get it working.

As far as your connection, I've been told a good rule of thumb is 5mbps for every streaming TV so if you trim your internet down to that level you should be ok. We have 20 mbps down and that seems to work out fine.

Appreciate any thoughts.
Go to sling.com to sign up for Sling. If you pre-pay 3 months, you can get a free Fire or Roku stick (or 50% off either a Fire TV or Roku3) which is a pretty good deal if you desire any of those devices. Otherwise, you can just go month-2-month with no contract. I don't know anything about AT&T Uverse, but all you need for Sling is an internet connection. (Then install the Sling app on your device)

AMC, IFC now available on Sling core package.

No clue what it is, but EPIX is available for $5 more.

------------------------------------------

If Sling can keep this core package around $20 plus add more channels in $5 packages, this is gonna be huge. They've got the right idea what they're doing.

I've read Playstation Vue will be in the neighborhood of $60-80 -- which isn't going to make people cut the cord. Plus they're going to have to give away PS3/PS4s (whatever devices can get Vue) to get this off the ground.

It's really a great antenna. For those interested, you can go to tv fool.com and input your address and it will show you all the stations broadcasting in your area, as well as signal strength and tower locations. From what I have seen, it is dead on in relation to this digital antenna (if tv fool says you should get that station, you will with this antenna)
What color, green?

I have amazon fire stick, Netflix and amazon prime. Sling really interests me but how do I incorporate sling, Netflix, prime, Hulu, and ota? And how do I record ota? Wife needs her downtown Abby and my kids watch some pbs shows.

I have amazon fire stick, Netflix and amazon prime. Sling really interests me but how do I incorporate sling, Netflix, prime, Hulu, and ota? And how do I record ota? Wife needs her downtown Abby and my kids watch some pbs shows.
Is that what she calling it?

Appreciate any thoughts.
Go to sling.com to sign up for Sling. If you pre-pay 3 months, you can get a free Fire or Roku stick (or 50% off either a Fire TV or Roku3) which is a pretty good deal if you desire any of those devices. Otherwise, you can just go month-2-month with no contract. I don't know anything about AT&T Uverse, but all you need for Sling is an internet connection. (Then install the Sling app on your device)
Does Amazon still have $50 off Fire TV? I wasn't sure about getting it since I was happy with the Fire Stick but the voice search along is worth the $37 it cost.

$50 off Fire TV worked for me as of yesterday to get another one.

Fire TV has been a great XBMC/Kodi box, FYI for anyone interested in that.

I am a full year into cutting the cable and we will never go back. I might consider a $20/mo plan if it includes Mets games, but otherwise not. It's been great not paying $100+ a month for crap we just don't watch. YMMV, but building my HTPC was one of the best cost saving moves I've ever made.
Same here, saving nearly $2k per year and not missing anything really. Sure i'd like to see me some new Deadliest Catch and a handful of other shows. But it really doesnt affect my life if I don't watch them. I just find something else to do
Not advocating torrents or popcorn tv, but that might be your last missing piece.

Sling will probably figure this out but for now they are not enforcing regional blackouts for NBA games.

Also it may be my Roku3 and not all, but I did the 3 months Sling prepay for 50 off the FireTV box and hooked them to the same TV for comparison. Fire is noticeably faster often enough to prefer it for that alone and I'm getting a better picture for about half of what I've watched, a considerably better picture. So the Fire is on the main tv in the house now and the Roku3 is going to a bedroom. My Roku3 is a refurb about a year old, and I've suspected it wasn't right for a few months so maybe that's the case. Regardless, big thumbs up to the Amazon box for processing power, storage, and voice.

A question about Sling...

If I want to watch The Walking Dead on AMC for instance, do I have to tune in to watch it live or can I just choose it from a list of all AMC shows available?

I have fire stick, so that will cover netflix, prime, Hulu plus, etc. If I get TiVo roamio that will allow for ota recording. If I get sling that will provide basic cable. Is there a way to have some of these connected so I don't have to switch? I'd really like TiVo to accept sling as a source. Does it?

If I want to watch The Walking Dead on AMC for instance, do I have to tune in to watch it live or can I just choose it from a list of all AMC shows available?
Believe you have to watch live. You can't 'rewind' live shows on AMC via sling. If AMC has an app, maybe you can watch it on demand when they add the episode there.

Believe you have to watch live. You can't 'rewind' live shows on AMC via sling. If AMC has an app, maybe you can watch it on demand when they add the episode there.
Hmm, that's moving backwards for me. Watching live and recording are old school, IMO. I was hoping for an Amazon style interface for Sling. I'll keep an eye out for the AMC app (and other channels) instead.

Any idea how to record ota? Only thing holding up from switching
Another reason I built an htpc. Almost unlimited storage/dvr.
I'm an idiot with computers. TiVo can't accept sling. So I'd have to have three devices. I guess I could use TiVo for those services. What benefit would roku add or any?
If you ran Plex or some similar server type, you could a Roku to access that media in another room. For example, I have my htpc/front end in one unit (until I build a dedicated server) in my main TV room and then run Plex server to my other rooms. In fact, my parents/brothers also use their Roku to access my media. They love it and it's free.

Any idea how to record ota? Only thing holding up from switching
Another reason I built an htpc. Almost unlimited storage/dvr.
I'm an idiot with computers. TiVo can't accept sling. So I'd have to have three devices. I guess I could use TiVo for those services. What benefit would roku add or any?
What would the 3rd device be? You can watch OTA thru your TIVO.
I didn't know amazon fire stick could use sling, so that eliminates a device. Tivo for OTA. Fire stick for Netflix, prime, hulu, and sling tv

hulu+....$8, Netflix...$8, Tivo...$15, Sling TV....$20....$51. Internet is $69 (will search around). Total is $120. Currently paying $223 for uverse.

hulu+....$8, Netflix...$8, Tivo...$15, Sling TV....$20....$51. Internet is $69 (will search around). Total is $120. Currently paying $223 for uverse.
If u get the tivo you can use the code plsr and get lifetime for 399 thru the website. Also u can access all amazon content thru the tivo

Users who are viewing this thread