What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

We've cut the cable (6 Viewers)

Anyone using Tablo with their OTA & Sling solution for recording?
Maybe I'm interpreting it wrong, but it appears that only the app on a tablet can control what is shown. So, u would need a phone or tablet for each TV location. Seems like a big annoyance.

In reading further, there is not yet DVR compatability between the Tablo and SlingTV. Does not look like TiVo is compatible either. Tablo only ercords OTA antenna broadcasts.

We looked in to Tablo and it looks like a great little service but I'm not sure the up front cost is worth it. Plus I don't like that there's not an HDMI pass through from the Tablo box to the TV.

We're going to roll without a DVR to see how it goes. I might give Tablo a roll if they come out with a 2.0 though.

HBO Now launching in April for $14.99 a month - exclusive to Apple TV.

They said exclusive "at launch" so I'm guessing that means it'll be on Roku, Amazon etc in the future

They said exclusive "at launch" so I'm guessing that means it'll be on Roku, Amazon etc in the future
Per Vox, it's slightly different:

Starting in April, Apple will offer a new HBO Now service on Apple TV, iPhones, and iPads called HBO Now. The service will cost $14.99, with a free month for new subscribers. Unlike HBO Go, HBO Now won't require any sort of cable service — just the online subscription.

CNN's Brian Stelter reported that HBO Now is supposed to be exclusive to Apple for the first three months, but Re/code clarified that HBO's existing TV providers may offer it before then.

Apple will also cut the price of the Apple TV from $99 to $69.
So all iOS devices, not just Apple TV. And TV providers might offer HBO Now before Apple launches theirs.

Finishing up my 7-day free trial of Sling, and I don't think I'll be keeping it. Have it running through a Roku 3 with 50 mbps Internet speed and it just isn't reliable. At least once a day, I'll get an error message saying one channel or another isn't working temporarily.

So I am running a roku 2 and built in wifi on my TV (vizio mid tier). Over all I have been happy however, the picture quality is terrible. I have the Verizon 25 mbps plan running through a one year old modem and Wifi ( netgear I think). When I run the speed test on my phone a rarely get to 10mbps in the upload and 4-5 on the download. Do I need to upgrade to the 50 Mbps or am I getting hosed by verizon.?

So I am running a roku 2 and built in wifi on my TV (vizio mid tier). Over all I have been happy however, the picture quality is terrible. I have the Verizon 25 mbps plan running through a one year old modem and Wifi ( netgear I think). When I run the speed test on my phone a rarely get to 10mbps in the upload and 4-5 on the download. Do I need to upgrade to the 50 Mbps or am I getting hosed by verizon.?
You need to run a speedtest directly from your modem with a hardline. This will tell you if 25mbps is getting to your house. If it is then you need to add your router and run the speedtest again to see if the router is the same speed.

Per Vox, it's slightly different:

Starting in April, Apple will offer a new HBO Now service on Apple TV, iPhones, and iPads called HBO Now. The service will cost $14.99, with a free month for new subscribers. Unlike HBO Go, HBO Now won't require any sort of cable service — just the online subscription.

CNN's Brian Stelter reported that HBO Now is supposed to be exclusive to Apple for the first three months, but Re/code clarified that HBO's existing TV providers may offer it before then.

Apple will also cut the price of the Apple TV from $99 to $69.
So all iOS devices, not just Apple TV. And TV providers might offer HBO Now before Apple launches theirs.
This brings up three questions for me....

1) can I cast/sling/transfer it from my iphone to my TV somehow? (I don't have an apple TV)

2) what shows would this give me other than Game of Thrones that I don't already have with Amazon Prime getting a lot of HBO shows?

3) can I get through all of Game of Thrones in my one free month?!

Finishing up my 7-day free trial of Sling, and I don't think I'll be keeping it. Have it running through a Roku 3 with 50 mbps Internet speed and it just isn't reliable. At least once a day, I'll get an error message saying one channel or another isn't working temporarily.
Yeah I've had this issue from time to time.

Primarily just subscribed for the conference & NCAA tournaments along with NBA playoffs so probably won't re-up anyway. Watch ESPN app is great. Have basketball coverage all day/night.

Last edited by a moderator:
You need to run a speedtest directly from your modem with a hardline. This will tell you if 25mbps is getting to your house. If it is then you need to add your router and run the speedtest again to see if the router is the same speed.
the tv is hooked up directly to the modem - does that count?

For those that use a DNS service, checkout different countries. Found Better Call Saul on Brazillian Netflix and the movies kickass over the US.

Has anyone tested the Mohu Leaf against the AmazonBasics model?

Tested our Amazon antenna for about 2 mos before we switched and had zero problems. Contract ran out with DTV and our most watched station's signal has gone ape #####. Thinking about trying the higher distance Amazon model but figured I would ask about the Mohu.

I haven't had any trouble with either my Fire Stick or Fire TV. Might be an issue with the Roku, not your connection.

With the addition of AMC I don't need any cable channels besides what I'm getting with the basic package (NFL Network would be nice).

Playstation Vue launching in two weeks. Many more channels, only works on PS3/4 and iPad, and will likely cost much more than Sling.
Aside from the pricier and limited devices it's available on, If the Vue monthly price is what's been rumored ($60-80/mo & particularly with no ESPN), this thing will flop.

They're going to have to give away PS3/PS4s to get this thing off the ground if $60-80/mo is the monthly cost. Haven' been with D-TV in a couple years, but was paying less than 70/mo for even more channels than Vue.

I just don't see the demand there for this when the price is not much different than cable companies. :shrug:

Playstation Vue launching in two weeks. Many more channels, only works on PS3/4 and iPad, and will likely cost much more than Sling.
Aside from the pricier and limited devices it's available on, If the Vue monthly price is what's been rumored ($60-80/mo & particularly with no ESPN), this thing will flop.

They're going to have to give away PS3/PS4s to get this thing off the ground if $60-80/mo is the monthly cost. Haven' been with D-TV in a couple years, but was paying less than 70/mo for even more channels than Vue.

I just don't see the demand there for this when the price is not much different than cable companies. :shrug:
Those prices are way too high considering it's the same price as cable. Maybe $50 and they give people a PS4 for a year long commitment.

Those prices are way too high considering it's the same price as cable. Maybe $50 and they give people a PS4 for a year long commitment.
That's a bit better. I still think until they add ESPN to the mix, it's going to be a tough sell to the younger audience that primarily own PS3/PS4 and to any family with sports fans. Having Fox Sports isn't a "robust sports offering" (as Sony wants you to believe). And isn't going to get any current Sling subscriber to even consider switching.

I just haven't been real impressed with much that I've read on Vue. If everything is close to what I've read, I'd bet money this venture doesn't last long. At the prices, I'm not real sure how this thing survives unless they plan on going ala carte. (which doesn't seem to be the plan) If it does to some extent, I might change my thinking.

I haven't had any trouble with either my Fire Stick or Fire TV. Might be an issue with the Roku, not your connection.

With the addition of AMC I don't need any cable channels besides what I'm getting with the basic package (NFL Network would be nice).
Is it the 8-18 error? I used to get that once a day but I would change the channel and change it back real quick and it would be gone. That happened maybe 4-5 times in the first week but hasnt happened since. Otherwise it's been flawless and we have it on Disney/Disney Jr almost all day for the kids while theyre playing.

For what its worth I have a Roku 3 and a 20 mbps connection.

Is it the 8-18 error? I used to get that once a day but I would change the channel and change it back real quick and it would be gone. That happened maybe 4-5 times in the first week but hasnt happened since. Otherwise it's been flawless and we have it on Disney/Disney Jr almost all day for the kids while theyre playing.

I think that's the error usually. Although trying to watch ESPN yesterday it said something like, "the rental content you've requested is unavailable."

I think that's the error usually. Although trying to watch ESPN yesterday it said something like, "the rental content you've requested is unavailable."
I did have an issue where ESPN wouldn't come in the second day but I didn't get that error ... it just wouldn't come on when I switched to that channel. It turned out to be the Roku 3 (It worked on my Roku stick) so I did a factory reset on the Roku 3 and it went away. Hasn't done it since.

That's a bit better. I still think until they add ESPN to the mix, it's going to be a tough sell to the younger audience that primarily own PS3/PS4 and to any family with sports fans. Having Fox Sports isn't a "robust sports offering" (as Sony wants you to believe). And isn't going to get any current Sling subscriber to even consider switching.

I just haven't been real impressed with much that I've read on Vue. If everything is close to what I've read, I'd bet money this venture doesn't last long. At the prices, I'm not real sure how this thing survives unless they plan on going ala carte. (which doesn't seem to be the plan) If it does to some extent, I might change my thinking.
They have the fox sports affiliates. That's the first service with those, right?

I did have an issue where ESPN wouldn't come in the second day but I didn't get that error ... it just wouldn't come on when I switched to that channel. It turned out to be the Roku 3 (It worked on my Roku stick) so I did a factory reset on the Roku 3 and it went away. Hasn't done it since.
Not sure if an update went wrong or what, but my Roku 3 is having all kinds of issues dropping Sling and NBA LeaguePass programming. Laptop, tablets and Fire TV all working fine at the exact same time Roku 3 loses streams or downgrades picture quality to a blurry abstract painting.

Not sure if an update went wrong or what, but my Roku 3 is having all kinds of issues dropping Sling and NBA LeaguePass programming. Laptop, tablets and Fire TV all working fine at the exact same time Roku 3 loses streams or downgrades picture quality to a blurry abstract painting.
For what its worth I did the Roku 3 software update before I had the issue and didn't do it after I did the factory reset. That could be it.

Having trouble getting antenna reception in one room because the TV isn't that close to the window. The same antenna works fine in other rooms though.

Using a 25 mi antenna now, would a 35 mile (or higher) antenna help get reception in a situation like this or wouldn't it matter if it's not near a window?

Having trouble getting antenna reception in one room because the TV isn't that close to the window. The same antenna works fine in other rooms though.

Using a 25 mi antenna now, would a 35 mile (or higher) antenna help get reception in a situation like this or wouldn't it matter if it's not near a window?
Separate antennae for every tv? Why not 1 antennae and split signal

lumpy19 said:
KiddLattimer said:

Separate antennae for every tv? Why not 1 antennae and split signal
Honestly I wasnt sure how to do it... do you need a roof antenna to do that?

the tv is hooked up directly to the modem - does that count?
so I called xfinity - the are sticking by their guns that my cable modem cannot handle the bandwith (I have dxxxx02 vs the newer dxxxx03). My modem is able to handle 50 Mbps - no idea why the 25 I pay for is not coming through. I ordered the new version (of course they try to sel l me their 250 version) off amazon. Www III tomorrow if I don't get much closer to the speed I pay for. Does this have to do with the new definition of "high speed" internet? Anyone else having this problem?

i5 gen intel 4670 3.4 ghz LGA 1150 and asrock z87 extreme4 mobo/proc, bundled - $275 for both at Microcenter

Silverstone tek atx sst lc10b e Case- $135 Amazon (not sold on this, but it's in the running)

Samsung 840 series 120 SSD - $97 Amazon

Placeholder for storage- need a 4TB drive, looking for the best price, need suggestions here

Asus DVD/BR burner/player- $79 after mail in rebate, Microcenter

4GB Ram Corsair Vengence ddr3 1600 Memory - $49 (leaning 8GB if I want to use the Colossus without hiccups)

Hauppauge Colossus - $80 eBay, important for my Directv cable provider. Plus I will get some usage out of burning all home movies onto bluray

Wired my connection

Logitech keyboard - $30

Windows 7 a should be able to get a student discount for ~$75

I think I stayed pretty close to this, but this is not the final spec sheet.
Here is what I'm looking at. Going for best value:

Silverstone ML03B

Azrock B85M

i3-4160 Haswell

4GB Corsair DDR3 1333

Corsair 256GB SSD

Haupauge 1213 WinTV with Remote

Grand Total = $500

Is there anything I'm light on? Anything I can downgrade without hit in performance?

i5 gen intel 4670 3.4 ghz LGA 1150 and asrock z87 extreme4 mobo/proc, bundled - $275 for both at MicrocenterSilverstone tek atx sst lc10b e Case- $135 Amazon (not sold on this, but it's in the running)

Placeholder for storage- need a 4TB drive, looking for the best price, need suggestions here

4GB Ram Corsair Vengence ddr3 1600 Memory - $49 (leaning 8GB if I want to use the Colossus without hiccups)

Hauppauge Colossus - $80 eBay, important for my Directv cable provider. Plus I will get some usage out of burning all home movies onto bluray

Wired my connection

Logitech keyboard - $30

Here is what I'm looking at. Going for best value:Silverstone ML03B

Azrock B85M

i3-4160 Haswell

4GB Corsair DDR3 1333

Corsair 256GB SSD

Grand Total = $500

Is there anything I'm light on? Anything I can downgrade without hit in performance?
Are you playing blu Rays?

What are you using for storage?

What front end are you running and on what os?

Is this just for playing files? Is this a server too? We use my htpc for entertainment and occasional surfing when we have a crowd and want to pull up some pics, websites, etc.

i5 gen intel 4670 3.4 ghz LGA 1150 and asrock z87 extreme4 mobo/proc, bundled - $275 for both at MicrocenterSilverstone tek atx sst lc10b e Case- $135 Amazon (not sold on this, but it's in the running)

Wired my connection

Logitech keyboard - $30

Here is what I'm looking at. Going for best value:Silverstone ML03B

Azrock B85M

i3-4160 Haswell

4GB Corsair DDR3 1333

Corsair 256GB SSD

Grand Total = $500

Are you playing blu Rays?

What are you using for storage?

What front end are you running and on what os?

Is this just for playing files? Is this a server too? We use my htpc for entertainment and occasional surfing when we have a crowd and want to pull up some pics, websites, etc.
Was just looking for a blu-ray player/burner to add, so yes.

Storage is on a networked home server - everything wired.

Windows 8 and Kodi.

I want to get over the air tv from an antenna on the roof with the Haupauge card. Use Sling, Netflix and "other things" available with Kodi. Stream files from the home server. Record tv to either the SSD or home server.

TIA

Users who are viewing this thread