What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

We've cut the cable (6 Viewers)

i5 gen intel 4670 3.4 ghz LGA 1150 and asrock z87 extreme4 mobo/proc, bundled - $275 for both at MicrocenterSilverstone tek atx sst lc10b e Case- $135 Amazon (not sold on this, but it's in the running)

Samsung 840 series 120 SSD - $97 Amazon

Placeholder for storage- need a 4TB drive, looking for the best price, need suggestions here

Asus DVD/BR burner/player- $79 after mail in rebate, Microcenter

4GB Ram Corsair Vengence ddr3 1600 Memory - $49 (leaning 8GB if I want to use the Colossus without hiccups)

Hauppauge Colossus - $80 eBay, important for my Directv cable provider. Plus I will get some usage out of burning all home movies onto bluray

Wired my connection

Logitech keyboard - $30

Windows 7 a should be able to get a student discount for ~$75

I think I stayed pretty close to this, but this is not the final spec sheet.
Here is what I'm looking at. Going for best value:Silverstone ML03B

Azrock B85M

i3-4160 Haswell

4GB Corsair DDR3 1333

Corsair 256GB SSD

Haupauge 1213 WinTV with Remote

Grand Total = $500

Is there anything I'm light on? Anything I can downgrade without hit in performance?
Are you playing blu Rays?What are you using for storage?

What front end are you running and on what os?

Is this just for playing files? Is this a server too? We use my htpc for entertainment and occasional surfing when we have a crowd and want to pull up some pics, websites, etc.
Was just looking for a blu-ray player/burner to add, so yes.Storage is on a networked home server - everything wired.

Windows 8 and Kodi.

I want to get over the air tv from an antenna on the roof with the Haupauge card. Use Sling, Netflix and "other things" available with Kodi. Stream files from the home server. Record tv to either the SSD or home server.

TIA
It all looks good. I'd save ota recordings to anywhere but ssd as the files are really big unless you're going to rip and covert to mkv container? Even then, I've gone through 4+ tb in about a year and I'm not that crazy with what I do...

i5 gen intel 4670 3.4 ghz LGA 1150 and asrock z87 extreme4 mobo/proc, bundled - $275 for both at MicrocenterSilverstone tek atx sst lc10b e Case- $135 Amazon (not sold on this, but it's in the running)

Samsung 840 series 120 SSD - $97 Amazon

Placeholder for storage- need a 4TB drive, looking for the best price, need suggestions here

Asus DVD/BR burner/player- $79 after mail in rebate, Microcenter

4GB Ram Corsair Vengence ddr3 1600 Memory - $49 (leaning 8GB if I want to use the Colossus without hiccups)

Hauppauge Colossus - $80 eBay, important for my Directv cable provider. Plus I will get some usage out of burning all home movies onto bluray

Wired my connection

Logitech keyboard - $30

Windows 7 a should be able to get a student discount for ~$75

I think I stayed pretty close to this, but this is not the final spec sheet.
Here is what I'm looking at. Going for best value:Silverstone ML03B

Azrock B85M

i3-4160 Haswell

4GB Corsair DDR3 1333

Corsair 256GB SSD

Haupauge 1213 WinTV with Remote

Grand Total = $500

Is there anything I'm light on? Anything I can downgrade without hit in performance?
Are you playing blu Rays?

What are you using for storage?

What front end are you running and on what os?

Is this just for playing files? Is this a server too? We use my htpc for entertainment and occasional surfing when we have a crowd and want to pull up some pics, websites, etc.
Was just looking for a blu-ray player/burner to add, so yes.

Storage is on a networked home server - everything wired.

Windows 8 and Kodi.

I want to get over the air tv from an antenna on the roof with the Haupauge card. Use Sling, Netflix and "other things" available with Kodi. Stream files from the home server. Record tv to either the SSD or home server.

TIA
If your storage is networked and you don't plan to play games or store other files on this box, then your SSD is too big. You can get a 60GB SSD for <$50 these days.

Otherwise, it looks great. Enjoy!

Sling TV doesn't work well at all on my Roku 2. Craps out half the time.
Hmm. I thought it was my refurbed Roku, but maybe it's the Roku or the Roku app. I'm getting very stable hd streams with the Fire that came with the $50 discount, but my Roku 3 has a list of issues from crapping out to 480 resolution to being dog slow to load a channel.

Sling TV doesn't work well at all on my Roku 2. Craps out half the time.
Hmm. I thought it was my refurbed Roku, but maybe it's the Roku or the Roku app. I'm getting very stable hd streams with the Fire that came with the $50 discount, but my Roku 3 has a list of issues from crapping out to 480 resolution to being dog slow to load a channel.
In had a previous Roku 3 that gave me loads of headaches, namely the total inability to play WWE Network videos.Since I got the new one through the $50 deal, its been playing back video like a champ in any app I use. I think some Rokus are just buggy for some odd reason.

My 3 was very strange this morning too... wouldn't let me load anything on sling. Used it on the Roku Stick and the Amazon FireTV box and both worked great so it was definitely the 3.

I guess I spoke too soon about it not having issues, but it doesn't appear to be Sling's fault this time

This all seems way too "exhausting" to save a few bucks. If I didn't have a family I'd probably try something but this seems like too much effort just to watch TV :bag:

Definitely strongly considering cutting the cable after soccer season ends. What's the latest with HBOGO a la carte? I might have to wait until after GoT ends then too.

This all seems way too "exhausting" to save a few bucks. If I didn't have a family I'd probably try something but this seems like too much effort just to watch TV :bag:
I did it because I don't like how the cable/dish companies treat us. I set up some alternate ways to watch TV, but in the end I just stopped watching TV almost completely. I don't really miss it, which I wouldn't have predicted.

Its really not that much work... could set it up in about 20 mins and all you have to do is switch between services/devices. I really dont miss cable at all so far.

But you have to switch between things to catch different show, get recordings to work etc. And stuff not working with other stuff

I admit we watch way too much tv but it's easy :bag:

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, if I was against the illegal route, there's no way I'd go through all of this that I'm reading in here.

But you have to switch between things to catch different show, get recordings to work etc. And stuff not working with other stuff

I admit we watch way too much tv but it's easy :bag:
Live TV through Sling is accessed through the Fire TV. It takes literally 10 minutes to get FireTV set up and another 5 to register your sling account.

The only thing you would need to switch to are the OTA channels and that's as simple as changing an input.

I've had a few issues mostly with Sling but occasionally Netflix too so some of them are probably the Roku 3. I use it almost exclusively for those two but every once in a while RDIO and have had similar issues with it.

With Sling I have had some pixilation when first starting a show but usually clears up within 5 seconds most of the time sometimes though up to ~ 10 seconds.

I've also had some issues with the picture freezing but the audio is fine. It usually happens when coming out of commercials and clears up by just selecting the channel again.

Every once in a while nothing quite loads right and I have to reboot the Roku. I've had to do this two or three times in about a month.

On the plus side the Roku is lightening fast compared to the Blu-Ray I had been using for Netflix.

I can put up with these issues to save almost $100/month but it's probably not for everybody. I'm also hoping that things will get better as the technologies becomes more mature.

I'll post the real numbers when I'm finally done, but, I figure to save over $100 a month.

I'm half pregnant with this thing and I can't wait to take back the comcast boxes and remotes and tell them where to put them.

Trust me I get it. I hate Comcast as much as anyone but now with their new apps, on demand and dvr downloads it almost feels worth it. If I dropped my actual land line and my movie channels I could probably get down to paying only $100 a month. But I have everything :bag: so I don't have Netflix or any other streaming service.

If your storage is networked and you don't plan to play games or store other files on this box, then your SSD is too big. You can get a 60GB SSD for <$50 these days.

It all looks good. I'd save ota recordings to anywhere but ssd as the files are really big unless you're going to rip and covert to mkv container? Even then, I've gone through 4+ tb in about a year and I'm not that crazy with what I do...
What front end are you guys using and what do you interface with it? I was hoping to get the remote that comes with my hauppauge card to work with Kodi. I assume it works fine with WinTV. Are there other options or is it best to stick with a keyboard and mouse?

Here is my final build, I downgraded some parts to keep it under $500:

Hec Micro ATX Media Center: $59.99 (comes with 300W PS)

ASRock B85M LGA 1150: $62.99

I3-4160 Haswell: $119.99

G.Skill 2x2GB DDR3 1333: $34.99

Kingston 120G SSD: $59.99

Hauppauge 1213: $119.99

Samsung DVD/CD ROM: $19.99

Rosewill Low Profile CPU Cooler: $12.99

Total: $490.92

I also got a TP-Link Archer C7 to upgrade the Wifi and Gigabit switches. $99.98 + $19.46

And finally a Roku 3 for the bedroom for $50 with the sling 3 month discount.

What front end are you guys using and what do you interface with it? I was hoping to get the remote that comes with my hauppauge card to work with Kodi. I assume it works fine with WinTV. Are there other options or is it best to stick with a keyboard and mouse?
I was using Windows Media Center, but recently switched to Plex. I'd love to see live tv integrated into Plex at some point so I can stop switching inputs. I haven't been keeping up that much since I've set this up, so maybe it does have some sort of integration?

I save 100+ a month.

I was using Windows Media Center, but recently switched to Plex. I'd love to see live tv integrated into Plex at some point so I can stop switching inputs. I haven't been keeping up that much since I've set this up, so maybe it does have some sort of integration?

I save 100+ a month.
Awesome, haven't heard of Plex so I'm glad I asked. More choices to try and see what works best. :thumbup:

Plex is solid if you want to also run a server to your phone, ipad/tablet, and even your Roku. I set my family up so they can stream my entire media collection.

ETA: Head over the plex forums, great place to start.

I also got a TP-Link Archer C7 to upgrade the Wifi and Gigabit switches. $99.98 + $19.46

If it were me (and maybe I have different goals than you) I'd double that amount of memory to 8GB, and get a lesser CPU. If you're just using it for HTPC stuff (streaming) then a "celeron" CPU would be fine.

If it were me (and maybe I have different goals than you) I'd double that amount of memory to 8GB, and get a lesser CPU. If you're just using it for HTPC stuff (streaming) then a "celeron" CPU would be fine.
I agree with the 8GB, but I'd respectfully disagree if you are transcoding anything from your server and/or serving from your machine. I went above the haswell and do not regret it as it is quiet as hell with plenty in reserve. If you want to rip from that machine, then definitely go higher.

Plex is solid if you want to also run a server to your phone, ipad/tablet, and even your Roku. I set my family up so they can stream my entire media collection.

ETA: Head over the plex forums, great place to start.
I should add that when I say, "set up my family," I mean that they are logging into their Rokus towns/states away and it runs without a hitch. I did build a monster HTPC for this reason, as the more you serve the more those resources are hogged.

Thanks guys, I threw another $25 in there and got 8GB of Corsair Vengeance.

I'll serve from my main PC, but, I may want to trans-code or do a little more than streaming at some point and the Celeron just makes me nervous. I think I found a pretty good middle ground value-budget for what I need. My main rig is listed below just for fun:

Cool Master Storm Scout 2

ASRock Z77 Extreme6

i7-3770K Ivy Bridge

16GB Corsair Vengence

Samsung Pro Series 256GB SSD

SeaSonic 750W Full Modular PS

Cool Master V8

The good thing about a HTPC is that with a bit of work, you can keep it updated and really never be behind. I might be in the minority, but I enjoy being able to play "computer only" content on my living room TV. I probably use my set up differently than most, however.

Does anyone know if the "March Madness Live" service has a Roku (or Apple/Amazon) channel? I haven't been able to find anything on it so I'm guessing no.

I can watch 3/4 of the games on Sling or OTA, but of course the one channel I don't get is TruTV and that's the station the UAlbany game is on. At least I can watch it online with the inlaws' cable password.

Sling works great on tablets so far at the far end of the house even with my old a/b wifi. Food network studdered just a tiny bit. Can't wait for the rest of the gear to get here. Getting the shows at East coast time is nice. I could be watching better call saul on my big screen right now if my tablets mini hdmi wasn't broken.

KiddLattimer said:
Does anyone know if the "March Madness Live" service has a Roku (or Apple/Amazon) channel? I haven't been able to find anything on it so I'm guessing no.

I can watch 3/4 of the games on Sling or OTA, but of course the one channel I don't get is TruTV and that's the station the UAlbany game is on. At least I can watch it online with the inlaws' cable password.
They just added TruTV for March Madness. I have no idea how many games are airing there. You have to pay $5 extra, but it's in the 'LifeStyle Extra' package. https://www.sling.com/package

Sling also adding History Channel, H2 & Lifetime to their base $20 package by end of month. http://www.cnet.com/news/sling-tv-comes-to-xbox-one-adds-history-lifetime-to-base-20-package/ :thumbup:

I'm certainly looking at Sling in the near future. If I can shed a few bucks from the internet, I'll take the plunge. I like the shows they are offering, and it would make SWMBO a tick happier. On that note, I do not advocate cutting the cable with the wrong significant other. My lady was a bit skeptical, but she's smart and figured everything out pretty quickly. Very rarely do I hear, "I'd like to just flip channels."

Don't have an XB1, but apparently Sling TV is available on it starting today

From the start, Microsoft intended for the Xbox One to be at the center of both games and TV watching. With today's launch of Sling TV on the game console, it can bring those two parts together properly for gamers in the US. With standard cable, the Xbox One relies on its HDMI passthrough and IR blasters (apps for FiOS and Time Warner Cable are either missing channels or have no live TV at all) to make sure you get everything, but with Sling, it's designed from the ground up for internet delivery so there's nothing missing. Its launch on Xbox is just in time, too -- PlayStation's Vue TV service is coming soon and rumors indicate Apple will have something similar later this year.

I agree with the 8GB, but I'd respectfully disagree if you are transcoding anything from your server and/or serving from your machine. I went above the haswell and do not regret it as it is quiet as hell with plenty in reserve. If you want to rip from that machine, then definitely go higher.
I was trying to keep his cost in the same $500 budget. That said, a Pentium G3220 is half the price of the i3-4160 and will do about the same for most HTPC tasks, they are nearly identical other than hyperthreading (should you need it for transcoding) and a clock rate of 3.0 vs 3.6 ghz.

I'm certainly looking at Sling in the near future. If I can shed a few bucks from the internet, I'll take the plunge. I like the shows they are offering, and it would make SWMBO a tick happier. On that note, I do not advocate cutting the cable with the wrong significant other. My lady was a bit skeptical, but she's smart and figured everything out pretty quickly. Very rarely do I hear, "I'd like to just flip channels."
:lmao: I got so much stuff hooked up in the entertainment center it's complicated either way. Just got off the phone with her explaining how to get the TV back on the right source after she sat on the remote......again.

:lmao: I got so much stuff hooked up in the entertainment center it's complicated either way. Just got off the phone with her explaining how to get the TV back on the right source after she sat on the remote......again.
When my parents saw how great my setup was, they asked if I could set them up to. No fcking way. I get enough calls about accessing Plex/Netflix, can you imagine a 74 year old man who can barely turn on a computer with an HTPC?

When my parents saw how great my setup was, they asked if I could set them up to. No fcking way. I get enough calls about accessing Plex/Netflix, can you imagine a 74 year old man who can barely turn on a computer with an HTPC?
We went the opposite route. My 7 year old has been operating ours for 2 years now. Hell, my remote has a Netflix button.

Main TV:

Vizio 60" smart tv with ARC (turns on and controls the surround sound/AVR when the tv is on). Standard tv remote also controls netflix, amazon, hulu, pandora, youtube and a bunch of other apps we dont use. Couldn't be easier (which was part of how I sold the whole cable cutting to the wife).

We went the opposite route. My 7 year old has been operating ours for 2 years now. Hell, my remote has a Netflix button.

Main TV:

Vizio 60" smart tv with ARC (turns on and controls the surround sound/AVR when the tv is on). Standard tv remote also controls netflix, amazon, hulu, pandora, youtube and a bunch of other apps we dont use. Couldn't be easier (which was part of how I sold the whole cable cutting to the wife).
Any advise on remotes would be appreciated. I've got 4 remotes and I'm sure most of them are programmable, but, I just never get around to making life easier for the SO. What works best with HTPC?

Also, I plan on trying to put the HTPC through the XBOX1 pass through. Anyone had any issues with this? I think letting her get to Neflix/Sling/Etc. through the xbox interface might be easier as it's what she's used to even though they'll be sitting there on the HTPC. I might just set the HTPC to play the over the air channels when I'm gone so to her it will be just like the tv she's used to seeing when the xbox turns on.

From the start, Microsoft intended for the Xbox One to be at the center of both games and TV watching. With today's launch of Sling TV on the game console, it can bring those two parts together properly for gamers in the US. With standard cable, the Xbox One relies on its HDMI passthrough and IR blasters (apps for FiOS and Time Warner Cable are either missing channels or have no live TV at all) to make sure you get everything, but with Sling, it's designed from the ground up for internet delivery so there's nothing missing. Its launch on Xbox is just in time, too -- PlayStation's Vue TV service is coming soon and rumors indicate Apple will have something similar later this year.
I have both and don't use PS for anything but games. The xbox interface is slick and faster for the streaming stuff. Not sure what the prices are now but I would imagine surely console only is in the 250 range by now?

Downloaded the Sling app for my desktop computer. Figured I could watch stuff on there when someone else was watching on the main TV. No dice. You're limited to one device in use at a time. Guess that makes sense, just didn't realize it.

I have both and don't use PS for anything but games. The xbox interface is slick and faster for the streaming stuff. Not sure what the prices are now but I would imagine surely console only is in the 250 range by now?
Nope, both still $400-$500

Got lucky for March Madness. SlingTV carries TNT and TBS and CBS is one of the few OTA HD signals I get reliably. The other that comes in pretty well is Fox. Made me realize between ESPN on SlingTV, OTA CBS, and OTA Fox, I may be in better shape than I expected for Football in the Fall. The problems will be SNF on NBC, Thursday games on NFL Network, and playoff games on NBC.

On the non-sports side we've been ok on content so far. I'm caught up to season 5 on Walking Dead and we just started House of Cards. My wife has her Jimmy Fallon and The Voice on Hulu+. Kids have cartoons through SlingTV, Hulu+, and Netflix. For whole family viewing we've been on AFV, The Voice, MasterChef (Jr & Sr), etc.

What do you guys have as your go to shows and content?

Can get a
I've gotten two 360's (for two different rooms) through deals on Cowboom, could keep an eye out for a deal on a One...

http://www.cowboom.com/product/1508310/

Xbox One is readily available at $349 now and couple it with this, Windows Media Center that it comes with, Sling and soon Plex (currently only available for Pass subscribers) and you'd be sitting pretty good. And you can add all the other regulars of course Netflix, Hulu etc. if you wanted.

ETA: I didn't notice that xbox tv tuner doesn't work in the US. Lame, but, not surprising. Use this instead, it's cheaper anyway.

Got lucky for March Madness. SlingTV carries TNT and TBS and CBS is one of the few OTA HD signals I get reliably. The other that comes in pretty well is Fox. Made me realize between ESPN on SlingTV, OTA CBS, and OTA Fox, I may be in better shape than I expected for Football in the Fall. The problems will be SNF on NBC, Thursday games on NFL Network, and playoff games on NBC.

On the non-sports side we've been ok on content so far. I'm caught up to season 5 on Walking Dead and we just started House of Cards. My wife has her Jimmy Fallon and The Voice on Hulu+. Kids have cartoons through SlingTV, Hulu+, and Netflix. For whole family viewing we've been on AFV, The Voice, MasterChef (Jr & Sr), etc.

Better Call Saul - AMC

Walking Dead - AMC

Last Man on Earth - FOX

Fresh off the Boat - ABC (surprised there isn't a thread for this one yet, hilarious)

Vikings - Other places

Black Sails - Other places

Game of Thrones - Other places coming soon.

I really wish History Channel would come to Sling soon. And I think HBO needs to lower their price for online only before I support them - having it cost 50% more than with cable isn't supporting the cable cutting cause. I too will miss NFL Network and Redzone.

I was thinking HBO was going to be cheaper for the online only option. I guess they couldn't undercut the cable prices too much or no one would subscribe through cable anymore.

Better Call Saul - AMC

Walking Dead - AMC

Last Man on Earth - FOX

Fresh off the Boat - ABC (surprised there isn't a thread for this one yet, hilarious)

Vikings - Other places

I really wish History Channel would come to Sling soon. And I think HBO needs to lower their price for online only before I support them - having it cost 50% more than with cable isn't supporting the cable cutting cause. I too will miss NFL Network and Redzone.
I thought someone said History channel is being added at end of this month?

Better Call Saul - AMC

Walking Dead - AMC

Last Man on Earth - FOX

Vikings - Other places

I thought someone said History channel is being added at end of this month?
:excited: We are gaining momentum!!!

"A&E, History, H2, and Lifetime will all become part of Sling TV's $20 per month service by the end of this month."

Users who are viewing this thread