What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

We've cut the cable (3 Viewers)

Lehigh98 said:
Got lucky for March Madness. SlingTV carries TNT and TBS and CBS is one of the few OTA HD signals I get reliably. The other that comes in pretty well is Fox. Made me realize between ESPN on SlingTV, OTA CBS, and OTA Fox, I may be in better shape than I expected for Football in the Fall. The problems will be SNF on NBC, Thursday games on NFL Network, and playoff games on NBC.
Well, looks like I may have a solution. Today two reps from my cable... now just internet company (RCN) were walking around my neighborhood. They had a list of subscribers and were checking around for potential upgrades, etc. They said they noticed I had internet only and asked if I was interested in cable. I explained how I recently cut cable and was fine with my current setup. Long story short, they offered to give me back an HD DVR box (for free) with the local HD channel tier including networks for a couple bucks more a month. Total package will stay under $60/month. I'll also have the option to add tiers on a la cart in the future so I can add Redzone and the "Sports" tier with NFL Network for football season. Worst case they up the price after a year or something and I just cancel again.

Guess the cable companies are starting to worry a bit?
:fishing:
Me or them?
The cable guys. Solicitation not allowed in my neighborhood thankfully.

matttyl said:
Zasada said:
Not sure if this was posted already, but Kodi has a slick new addon for Silicon Dust's HD HomeRun TV. Whether you have a CableCard or use OTA.

Unfortunately my older HDHR doesn't work with the addon, so I'm headed to Microcenter this weekend to get a new one!
I'm confused, what does this do that WMC doesn't already do?
WMC is good and likely better for this purpose than Kodi. But Kodi is much better at managing movies and TV shows on your local network. This adds TV Tuner functionality.

Personally I prefer Kodi as much of my viewing is content stored on my local network, but if you watch lots of live TV then I can see WMC being preferred.

I need to get my plex plugin to work in wmc, very frustrating.

I asked SWMBO this morning about usability and said she'd rather save the money than go back to the way it was. Homerun.

Apparently Sling did not (or perhaps couldnt) acquire full rights to A&E channels (Lifetime/LMN, etc..). Quite a bit of restricted/blacked out content.

Last edited by a moderator:
HBO coming to Sling TV

Add another one to the slate of Sling TV options: subscribers to the streaming TV service will be able to get HBO soon. There's no word on an exact launch date, but Sling says it will be in time for the new season of Game of Thrones and Silicon Valley, which launch on April 12th. It's not the (still Apple-exclusive for online providers) HBO Now service, it's just regular HBO, with one live channel and video on-demand access. According to the Wall Street Journal, the deal is the result of negotiations between Sling's owner Dish Network and HBO's owner Time Warner that will also keep channels like TBS, TNT and TruTV on the satellite TV network. Adding the channel to Sling's $20 per month base package with AMC, TNT, ESPN and a few others will cost subscribers an extra $15 once it's available.

Yes, Haupauge card that came with a remote. The remote has a button that opens WMC, works in WMC and will open Plex via add-in to WMC. After Plex opens the remote stops working. I haven't messed around with settings or anything. If your remote operates Plex then I'm sure it's just a matter of changing settings and/or programming the remote.

I asked SWMBO this morning about usability and said she'd rather save the money than go back to the way it was. Homerun.
Did you ever get the plugin to work? I realized that my remote does indeed work with plex, it's just very very slow, so slow I didn't think it was working.

What power settings do you use on your HTPC? I just followed the power settings on assassinhtpc website and usually leave the tv channel on when shutting down all the other theater components. When the xbox is turned on everything turns back on (with the HTPC already running) and the tv is on, but, that leaves the HTPC is running full throttle the entire time. Do you let yours go to sleep? What's the best setting for that with remote wake-up?

My SWMBO is getting used to the remotes and getting what she wants to watch too. We're super glad saving that much money each month. The only issue we have is the local channels cut out once in a while to storms etc.

HBO coming to Sling TV

Add another one to the slate of Sling TV options: subscribers to the streaming TV service will be able to get HBO soon. There's no word on an exact launch date, but Sling says it will be in time for the new season of Game of Thrones and Silicon Valley, which launch on April 12th. It's not the (still Apple-exclusive for online providers) HBO Now service, it's just regular HBO, with one live channel and video on-demand access. According to the Wall Street Journal, the deal is the result of negotiations between Sling's owner Dish Network and HBO's owner Time Warner that will also keep channels like TBS, TNT and TruTV on the satellite TV network. Adding the channel to Sling's $20 per month base package with AMC, TNT, ESPN and a few others will cost subscribers an extra $15 once it's available.
If they'd come down to $10 or under I'd pay for it, at least while GoT is on. As it is now GoT is really the only thing I'm interested in and I'll just get it elsewhere.

HBO coming to Sling TV

Not showing up yet on their order page. I'm going to go ahead and order it with the $50 Amazon Fire TV. Figure a 3 month commitment in exchange for a decent device and $50 is worth it. If HBO gets their #### together with other options besides Apple TV, I'll likely drop the Sling TV as I don't care much for it's other offerings.

I used to like Fire TV but I was trying to watch MLB opening day on the Fire TV box earlier and it did nothing but pause every 30 seconds. Only 1 room away from the router and the room isnt even closed off so it shouldn't be a signal issue.

Switched it to the Roku stick and it's clear as it was on DirecTV... maybe better.

Maybe a stupid question -

Sling TV. Once you "subscribe" are you just streaming the live feed of that channel (like tuning in on cable), or do you have instant access to the shows on the channels they are offering (like you would on Netflix)?

Sling TV. Once you "subscribe" are you just streaming the live feed of that channel (like tuning in on cable), or do you have instant access to the shows on the channels they are offering (like you would on Netflix)?
Its a live feed

Not a stupid question at all, this stuff gets confusing at first

Its a live feed

Thanks! Makes we wish I hadn't re-upped with my cable provider. I'm around $130 a month for very high speed broadband (50/6 I think) and a pretty full slate of channels most of which I don't watch. Having "live channels" would make the wife approval factor that much higher....

Its a live feed

Thanks! Makes we wish I hadn't re-upped with my cable provider. I'm around $130 a month for very high speed broadband (50/6 I think) and a pretty full slate of channels most of which I don't watch. Having "live channels" would make the wife approval factor that much higher....
Yea its not without its flaws, it gets goofy once in a while but I'm very happy with it so far. If it had MLB network it would get just about everything we watch.

You'll also need to pair it with a digital antenna though because it doesn't get local broadcast channels.

Read there is a 2 million subscriber cap for sling
Wow, crazy if true. I would think there can't be too many spots still open.

I've done a complete 180 on Sling. I posted a few weeks ago that I'd not pay $20 for it since I couldn't just queue up shows I wanted to watch (ala Netflix). The addition of A&E and AMC pushed me over the edge, and I signed up. We just LOVE IT. Basically, we've got all of the channels we used to watch before cutting the cable years ago. We used to only watch Food, HGTV, A&E and a few others. It's just phenominal.

Wow, crazy if true. I would think there can't be too many spots still open.I've done a complete 180 on Sling. I posted a few weeks ago that I'd not pay $20 for it since I couldn't just queue up shows I wanted to watch (ala Netflix). The addition of A&E and AMC pushed me over the edge, and I signed up. We just LOVE IT. Basically, we've got all of the channels we used to watch before cutting the cable years ago. We used to only watch Food, HGTV, A&E and a few others. It's just phenominal.
http://mobile.pcmag.com/news/55079-report-sling-tv-subscriber-cap-revealed?origref=http:%2F%2Fhsrd.yahoo.com%2F_ylt%3DA2KLteY_9SJV5DIAHo4zQVxH%2FRV%3D1%2FRE%3D1429563968%2FRH%3DaHNyZC55YWhvby5jb20-%2FRO%3D2%2FRU%3DaHR0cDovL3d3dy5wY21hZy5jb20vYXJ0aWNsZTIvMCwyODE3LDI0ODAzNjgsMDAuYXNw%2FRS%3D%5EADA8DOM_eactyNPT7fLLrPDC_rHtbM-

Sling:

There's quite a bit of restricted content on A&E/Lifetime/LMN. Some days there's been 10+ straight hours of restricted on the channels (nothing airs in its place).

Not sure I'll keep after basketball playoffs anyway, but 8- errors occur still quite a bit. Still issues Sling are working through. They're becoming increasingly more annoying having to reload channel/Sling to restore several times during game/show.

Watching Final 4 was a bit of a nightmare as many have attest to. Fortunately, the games aired on all TNT/TBS/TruTV and switched between channels when errors popped up.

Still a decent buy for $20, but it's definitely not something w/o its flaws.

I've done a complete 180 on Sling. I posted a few weeks ago that I'd not pay $20 for it since I couldn't just queue up shows I wanted to watch (ala Netflix). The addition of A&E and AMC pushed me over the edge, and I signed up. We just LOVE IT. Basically, we've got all of the channels we used to watch before cutting the cable years ago. We used to only watch Food, HGTV, A&E and a few others. It's just phenominal.
That would represent 10% of Direct TV's subscriber base or 15% of their own and would be 2% of the households in the U.S. I think they would be thrilled with that number.

Dont think they're anywhere close to 2 mil (even with offering the 7 day free trials). Last I read, about a month in, they were at 100k which is real good for a new service.

I think a big problem they had is a quick 7 day trial spike for Final 4 & weren't prepared for it. I didnt notice a big difference in quality (because same crash issues are pretty constant with Sling). It's good they're adding more and more channels but I really don't think they're prepared to handle it right now. JMO

Its a live feed

Yea its not without its flaws, it gets goofy once in a while but I'm very happy with it so far. If it had MLB network it would get just about everything we watch.

You'll also need to pair it with a digital antenna though because it doesn't get local broadcast channels.
That's the rub. I'm a bit too far from the towers, and behind a few mountains.

Just signed up for cable again. 25Mbps internet and about 100 channels (sports package included) for $55 a month for 6 months. Will cancel at the end.

:playingthegame:

So, I've abandoned Sling after one month and have gone back to DirecTV. It was all just too much of a pain in the ### to save a few bucks. The reliability of wasn't great. Don't know whether that's Sling's fault or my Internet provider, but doesn't matter. No DVR meant still going to other sources to get some shows.

And then I was also running into monthly data limits because I was streaming so much.

But the biggest problem was no regional Fox Sports channel for hockey and baseball and no Big 10 channel for football. Didn't miss NFL Network that much, but I'm sure I would during NFL season.

I was getting good offers to go back to DirecTV (had them for years, then had Mediacom cable for past couple years) and finally gave in yesterday. Not paying that much more (for now) than Sling. And now I have the DVR and all the channels I was missing. Plus I got three free months of movie channels just in time for Game of Thrones.

Also heard some interesting news from the installer. He said a deal is coming soon where all DirecTV customers will get Netflix streaming for free as part of their paid subscription and a Netflix app will be included on the receiver. And I guess now you can access your DirecTV programming on any device now, so even though we only have it on one TV, could watch stuff on iPad or Chromebook or whatever.

I hate to say it, but I was pretty excited to have everything "back to normal." They won.

So, I've abandoned Sling after one month and have gone back to DirecTV. It was all just too much of a pain in the ### to save a few bucks. The reliability of wasn't great. Don't know whether that's Sling's fault or my Internet provider, but doesn't matter. No DVR meant still going to other sources to get some shows.

And then I was also running into monthly data limits because I was streaming so much.

But the biggest problem was no regional Fox Sports channel for hockey and baseball and no Big 10 channel for football. Didn't miss NFL Network that much, but I'm sure I would during NFL season.

I was getting good offers to go back to DirecTV (had them for years, then had Mediacom cable for past couple years) and finally gave in yesterday. Not paying that much more (for now) than Sling. And now I have the DVR and all the channels I was missing. Plus I got three free months of movie channels just in time for Game of Thrones.

Also heard some interesting news from the installer. He said a deal is coming soon where all DirecTV customers will get Netflix streaming for free as part of their paid subscription and a Netflix app will be included on the receiver. And I guess now you can access your DirecTV programming on any device now, so even though we only have it on one TV, could watch stuff on iPad or Chromebook or whatever.

I hate to say it, but I was pretty excited to have everything "back to normal." They won.
Why do data limits apply, aren't you streaming over wifi?

Isn't your regional fox available OTA?

Do you have a link for the DirectTV-Netflix rumor? I find that really hard to believe.

I'm finding Sling to be really reliable, but, I did install new AC wifi. I'd suspect your issue is with your wifi or somewhere in your own network, Sling only streams at 1.3Mbps.

Really the nicest thing about this is you can get easier intergration with your stereo system. Huge, huge win here.
My HTPC passes through the xbox just fine. If I were going to use the TV tuner I'd just go to my receiver with fiber. But yeah, much cheaper solution to get tv in the xbox for those that use the xbox to control their entertainment centers. Xbox taking more steps to make the One what it was supposed to be. :towelwave:

Really the nicest thing about this is you can get easier intergration with your stereo system. Huge, huge win here.
My HTPC passes through the xbox just fine. If I were going to use the TV tuner I'd just go to my receiver with fiber. But yeah, much cheaper solution to get tv in the xbox for those that use the xbox to control their entertainment centers. Xbox taking more steps to make the One what it was supposed to be. :towelwave:
I'm not sure I understand what the big deal is here.

:shrug: Microsoft marketed the xboxone as "the best home entertainment device". They started out with no external hard drive access, support for only certain video formats, no support for ATSC signals. All of which they've now added with ATSC being the latest I guess. For the purpose of this thread; one more option for those looking to cut cable.

HTPC guys - Does WinTV have conflicts with WMC? Something keeps knocking out my video driver (Intell - AsRock B85M). Firmware and everything else is up to date. I uninstalled WinTV, which took my driver down again in the process. Will see if this fixes it.

:shrug: Microsoft marketed the xboxone as "the best home entertainment device". They started out with no external hard drive access, support for only certain video formats, no support for ATSC signals. All of which they've now added with ATSC being the latest I guess. For the purpose of this thread; one more option for those looking to cut cable.
I guess what I'm not understanding is who needs an ATSC tuner? Don't most TV's already have this? Is the addition of this to the Xbox just so people don't have to switch inputs to watch TV/play the Xbox?

I guess what I'm not understanding is who needs an ATSC tuner? Don't most TV's already have this? Is the addition of this to the Xbox just so people don't have to switch inputs to watch TV/play the Xbox?
Yes, basically.

It also allows you to do things like play games while the TV is in a picture window and control everything with the xbox controller or voice command.

And like Culdeus said you don't have to figure out how to get your tv sound out to the surround receiver, which, for some would be another switch inputs.

Similarly, it would be nice if the Roku 3 had a coax input for some of the same reasons. It's the first thing I thought of when I first hooked up my Roku 3.

ETA: I might have chose not to build my HTPC at the time had this, Plex and Sling all been available on the xbox. That's why I said it's another option for cord cutters.

Yes, Haupauge card that came with a remote. The remote has a button that opens WMC, works in WMC and will open Plex via add-in to WMC. After Plex opens the remote stops working. I haven't messed around with settings or anything. If your remote operates Plex then I'm sure it's just a matter of changing settings and/or programming the remote.

Did you ever get the plugin to work? I realized that my remote does indeed work with plex, it's just very very slow, so slow I didn't think it was working.

What power settings do you use on your HTPC? I just followed the power settings on assassinhtpc website and usually leave the tv channel on when shutting down all the other theater components. When the xbox is turned on everything turns back on (with the HTPC already running) and the tv is on, but, that leaves the HTPC is running full throttle the entire time. Do you let yours go to sleep? What's the best setting for that with remote wake-up?

My SWMBO is getting used to the remotes and getting what she wants to watch too. We're super glad saving that much money each month. The only issue we have is the local channels cut out once in a while to storms etc.
No keeps quitting/erroring out. Annoying, but I use my HTPC for other stuff so it's not like it helps all that much.

HBO coming to Sling TV

Not showing up yet on their order page. I'm going to go ahead and order it with the $50 Amazon Fire TV. Figure a 3 month commitment in exchange for a decent device and $50 is worth it. If HBO gets their #### together with other options besides Apple TV, I'll likely drop the Sling TV as I don't care much for it's other offerings.
HBO available on sling today.

Sling has worked flawlessly for me on both my Kindle Fire (apk loaded) and my Fire TV.

Honestly after watching very little live tv over the last 6 months it's a waste/luxury item. The HBO changes that but I would prefer it by itself

I am wondering if I can stream hbonow from my iPad to my tv. I have an adapter, but I have heard HBO has blocked people from streaming HBO go from iPad to tv. Anyone have experience with this? I guess I can get HBO from sling for 3 months then get hbonow assuming roku will offer it at that point.

I am wondering if I can stream hbonow from my iPad to my tv. I have an adapter, but I have heard HBO has blocked people from streaming HBO go from iPad to tv. Anyone have experience with this? I guess I can get HBO from sling for 3 months then get hbonow assuming roku will offer it at that point.
It's the apple app that blocks it if it does, not HBO. I'm not sure if it does, but, it wouldn't surprise me apple being apple. If you already have sling isn't it the same thing/price? Or are you looking to get rid of the sling $20 per month?

It's the apple app that blocks it if it does, not HBO. I'm not sure if it does, but, it wouldn't surprise me apple being apple. If you already have sling isn't it the same thing/price? Or are you looking to get rid of the sling $20 per month?
I have sling, but I like HBO now because it has all HBO series on demand. Just tried to stream it from iPad to tv, and it only plays sound, no picture. wonder if I can hook iPad to macbook, then connect macbook to tv. Will try that tomorrow.

If not, I might pay for HBO via sling, then cancel when HBO now is available on roku in 3 months (hopefully).

I have sling, but I like HBO now because it has all HBO series on demand. Just tried to stream it from iPad to tv, and it only plays sound, no picture. wonder if I can hook iPad to macbook, then connect macbook to tv. Will try that tomorrow.

If not, I might pay for HBO via sling, then cancel when HBO now is available on roku in 3 months (hopefully).
Sling is supposed to have all the on demand too (just signed up and will try tonight) . And I've read that the sign up on ipad then use macbook does work.

Confirmed Sling HBO does have all the on demand; movies, comedies, sports, late night, everything. A lot more than xfinity did.

Eta: Probably worth the $15 compared to xfintys $10 or$11.

I'm sure they will improve it but the HBO On Demand interface on the Fire TV App sucks balls. It just shows pictures of the movies, series, etc and you have to click on it to figure out what you're looking at.

Was going to warn those that were interested in HBO of possibility beforehand, but appears also some blocked content there as well (boxing).

And again Sling made no mention of this beforehand. I understand if they cant get rights.....they just need to mention it.

Was going to warn those that were interested in HBO of possibility beforehand, but appears also some blocked content there as well (boxing).

And again Sling made no mention of this beforehand. I understand if they cant get rights.....they just need to mention it.
I got Sling with the Roku/Fire TV deal and I doubt I renew. I am so out of the "live TV" rhythm that I never use it (except for live HBO for Game of Thrones).

I got Sling with the Roku/Fire TV deal and I doubt I renew. I am so out of the "live TV" rhythm that I never use it (except for live HBO for Game of Thrones).
I know what you mean, the only thing I really watch live now is baseball (MLB.tv app) and the local news. Everything else may as well be on demand somehow.

I like Sling but if the Watch Disney apps start working with TWC (and our in law's login) we might bail on it. It's a good service though for the most part.

Users who are viewing this thread