What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Da'Rel Scott (1 Viewer)

DansRams

Footballguy
Not sure yet what I think of Scott but thought this update from rotoworld was interesting

Da'Rel Scott - RB - Player The National Football Post's Wes Bunting hears Maryland RB Da'Rel Scott is on a "sky rocket" rise after posting a 4.34 forty at the Combine.

Bunting indicated that Scott is "even getting his name mentioned as a late first-round pick," which we find hard to believe. Bunting has Scott rated as a later-round pick, pointing out that he "wasn't even that dynamic at Maryland." He profiles as a committee back in the pros.

Last edited by a moderator:
he lacks vision and rb instincts. No way he goes in the 1st round. someone might take a flier on him in the 3rd but that is the highest he'll possibly go.

Don't know much about the guy, but if he had a blazing 40 time and a somewhat unremarkable collegiate performance, he seems a good candidate to be much higher on Oakland's draft board than the rest of the league's.

This seems a lot like Chris Henry (RB) hype from a few years back...

he lacks vision and rb instincts. No way he goes in the 1st round. someone might take a flier on him in the 3rd but that is the highest he'll possibly go.
Never discount how much a team will fall in love with someone's measurables. Chris henry never rushed for more than 835 yards in a season but because he was 6' 220 and could run a 4.4/40 he went in the second and word is the titans considered taking him in the first. Scott may be as bad as you say but he also has decent size and has proven recieving ability and the bottom line is he ran a 4.34/40.

Da'Rel Scott is one of my favorite RBs in this class but he's a fifth- or sixth-round pick at best.

Saw him at the Shrine Game where he was the 2nd best back there behind Delone Carter from Syracuse (another favorite). Scott is a versatile guy, can catch out of the backfield, runs with a good pad level, has good footwork and leg drive.

Then saw him at the Senior Bowl as a replacement player and he once again stood out against better competition (Orlando/Shrine wasn't that good this year).

Talked to him again at the Combine, where he sat alone at his table. He's focused, dedicated, and ready to prove the doubters wrong. Late round kid with good upside. :thumbup:

97-yard TD run tonight. :shock:Tripped, regained his balance, then left everyone in the dust.
Still no better than 3rd on the depth chart and probably 4th.
Not bad for a 7th round pick ... Give him a year or two behind Jacobs and Bradshawhttp://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2011082251/2011/PRE2/bears@giants#tab:watch
If you have deep rosters true, but in a 12 team league, anything < 22 roster spots and he's on the WW. Probably the same holds true for anything < 24 roster spots.

So he's #4? Love his talent, but he's hard to pick up. This point in the year, you are tempted to pick up every pre-season superstar, especially in dynasty.

Oh to have 36-man rosters...

97-yard TD run tonight. :shock:Tripped, regained his balance, then left everyone in the dust.
Hell of a run. If there was doubt between him & Andre Brown I doubt there is any today
I'd still rank the Giant RBs:BradshawJacobsAndre BrownDa' Rel ScottWareC. ScottAfter that run I hope the Giants realize there isn't much chance Da' Rel Scott will pass waivers to be put on their practice squad. Try that and they'll lose him like they had with Andre Brown.Ware has experience going for him but seems to be the most replaceable between him, Brown and D. Scott. Charles Scot is the worst and probably gets cut.

i would think he'll get some more opportunities in the next couple of weeks. atm i'm hoping the giants are stupid enough to practice squad the kid and he moves to a better situation...

'netnalp said:
'HellToupee said:
'Raider Nation said:
Hell of a run. If there was doubt between him & Andre Brown I doubt there is any today
I'd still rank the Giant RBs:BradshawJacobsAndre BrownDa' Rel ScottWareC. ScottAfter that run I hope the Giants realize there isn't much chance Da' Rel Scott will pass waivers to be put on their practice squad. Try that and they'll lose him like they had with Andre Brown.Ware has experience going for him but seems to be the most replaceable between him, Brown and D. Scott. Charles Scot is the worst and probably gets cut.
I'd say: BradshawJacobsWare ( I thought Ware looked great last night ... Ran hard and quick) Da' Rel ScottAndre Brown (Brown and Ware seem to be very similar...Exactly the same size. Brown was picked up and waived about 10 times last year by various teams) C. Scott

'netnalp said:
'HellToupee said:
'Raider Nation said:
97-yard TD run tonight. :shock:

Tripped, regained his balance, then left everyone in the dust.
I'd still rank the Giant RBs:Bradshaw

Jacobs

Andre Brown

Da' Rel Scott

Ware

C. Scott

After that run I hope the Giants realize there isn't much chance Da' Rel Scott will pass waivers to be put on their practice squad. Try that and they'll lose him like they had with Andre Brown.

Ware has experience going for him but seems to be the most replaceable between him, Brown and D. Scott. Charles Scot is the worst and probably gets cut.
I'd say: Bradshaw

Jacobs

Ware ( I thought Ware looked great last night ... Ran hard and quick)

Da' Rel Scott

Andre Brown (Brown and Ware seem to be very similar...Exactly the same size. Brown was picked up and waived about 10 times last year by various teams)

C. Scott
It was 15 for his short career so far and I think that is what gives him an edge. The coaching staff always seems to just laud his efforts of sticking with it and coming back from injuries and basically, just being mentally tough. That is something that is not tangible but I think the coaches really appreciate about him.Think about it: If you had it in you to rehab from major injuries multiple times and go to literally 10+ teams to try to stick to a footbal team, you HAVE to earn coaches respect. I think that goes a long way towards the Giants giving him a shot if/when needed.

So, i would still see Brown as the 3rd guy behind the obvious starters.

Also everyone, coaches, teammates, beat writers and fans have said Andre Brown looks faster than before his injury. Could be it took that long for him to recover from his injury. I think Brown and Da' Rel have more upside than Ware. I think if Ware had much to offer he'd be used more, he wasn't even used in garbage time last season. There was so much talk about having the RBs share the load to keep them healthy last year, but Ware only had 20 carries and 7 catches.

'Hoss_Cartwright said:
'Raider Nation said:

Still no better than 3rd on the depth chart and probably 4th.
As a starter yes but could be good 3rd down back for the Giants. If he gets cut could do what Blount did last year.

Andre Brown didn't look faster to me over his Senior Bowl practices.

At NC State Draftguys said he ran 4.49, but he looked slower not faster to me.

Didn't Brown suffer a serious Achilles injury that was supposed to ruin his burst? Maybe he's an interesting case study for LeShoure owners...

I was seconds away from cutting him when he broke that run, let Pettis go instead...As a Bradshaw owner, i'm hoping he's the long term handcuff with potential for more if he can grow in the offense and see the field better. I haven't watched any film on the guy, but someone said to me he's Chris Henry (combine champ) with one eye open indicating he has no vision despite ridiculous athleticism.

'netnalp said:
'HellToupee said:
'Raider Nation said:

I'd still rank the Giant RBs:Bradshaw

Jacobs

Andre Brown

Da' Rel Scott

Ware

C. Scott

After that run I hope the Giants realize there isn't much chance Da' Rel Scott will pass waivers to be put on their practice squad. Try that and they'll lose him like they had with Andre Brown.

Ware has experience going for him but seems to be the most replaceable between him, Brown and D. Scott. Charles Scot is the worst and probably gets cut.
I'd say: Bradshaw

Jacobs

Ware ( I thought Ware looked great last night ... Ran hard and quick)

Da' Rel Scott

Andre Brown (Brown and Ware seem to be very similar...Exactly the same size. Brown was picked up and waived about 10 times last year by various teams)

C. Scott
It was 15 for his short career so far and I think that is what gives him an edge. The coaching staff always seems to just laud his efforts of sticking with it and coming back from injuries and basically, just being mentally tough. That is something that is not tangible but I think the coaches really appreciate about him.Think about it: If you had it in you to rehab from major injuries multiple times and go to literally 10+ teams to try to stick to a footbal team, you HAVE to earn coaches respect. I think that goes a long way towards the Giants giving him a shot if/when needed.

So, i would still see Brown as the 3rd guy behind the obvious starters.
I don't know if any of the above matters.The way I hear it is the Giants weren't even going to bring him in. It was almost "a miracle" that they gave him the time of day. During his workout he absolutely shocked them. Ya gotta keep in mind that they knew him well, he sat out a year and was in two camps(partially) with them. He was a decent draft pick and they had plans for him. It's pretty dramatic for them to be floored by him in a workout.

Ware is Ware. He's useful but not someone you keep at the risk of losing something significant.

Ryan Grant is not on the Giants. It's been quite some time too.

They have to make a decision if they are keeping Bradshaw and Jacobs as a 1-2 punch or shifting away from that. If away, then they should be able to move Jacobs and the RBs look fine.

I've been told Brown has looked the best at times. That's significant (for him). You want the 3rd stringer to do that at practice every now and then.

Re-this thread. I doubt Scott gets enough reps unless they move someone. He's probably PS or picked up by another team.

Sigmund Bloom

@SigmundBloom Sigmund Bloom

scott>ware imo ware may have first opp after jacobs, but scott >er talent RT @LottsFinger so who is the NYG rb to pick up? Ware or Scott?

3 minutes ago via web Favorite Retweet Reply

I'm not a Giants homer, but I'm guessing with all those injuries on defense, they couldn't afford to have 3/4 active RBs on game day. Just YouTubed Ware b/c I haven't seen much of him, he was getting some decent runs in a garbage time game w/ Seattle last year, but clearly doesn't have the speed that I remember Scott showing in preseason.

I like how Scott avg 15ypc in 14 carries this preseason! hahaha

His preseason stats look great..much better than Ware's, but why hasn't he gotten in the game any?
Pass protection.
That is a big question mark right now. I respect Bloom's opinion but question how much of it is based solely on his ability running the football and how much involves other elements like pass protection and ability to catch a football.
Just watched his highlight video from 2010 college, i know i know, it highlights. but the guy is fast and has good hands. DJ has looked average thus far

His preseason stats look great..much better than Ware's, but why hasn't he gotten in the game any?
Pass protection.
Most of the handful of plays he's been in on have been where he's stayed in as a blocker or he's run a route but wasn't the focus of the play. The pass protection reps were probably to get him some experience because it's not like Ware would need a breather with how little use he gets.Da'Rel has sick speed and isn't one of those tiny 180 lb guys. He's 5'11" and 210lbs. If Bradshaw misses time, I like him over Ware because the Giants line hasn't been very good at opening holes this year especially between the LG and Center. I think Scott might be able to get more done than Ware who is slower and may have more trouble making something out of nothing with the bad blocking.It may only take a few extra touches in games that count to bump him over Ware.

Watching highlights I really like his style and ability. I am kind of excited about him as a Giants fan. While I love Bradshaw and Jacobs, I would really like to see this kid get a shot to see what he can do. Will be picking him up in Dynasty leagues for sure.

his speed looks really impressive in the highlight clips. does he move well laterally? how is he after contact? he seems to have very skinny legs for an nfl running back...

his speed looks really impressive in the highlight clips. does he move well laterally? how is he after contact? he seems to have very skinny legs for an nfl running back...
He had a very good camp and preseason. Most of his regular season snaps, he's been blocking.

His lateral movement I would call adequate, after the contact his moderate. His legs are worrisome I agree. That was my major worry about him long term. Kind of reminds me of Norwood but a little heavier.

Pass protection.
:goodposting: an overlooked factor for RB playing time by many FFers
No it isn't. In fact, many people on this board will automatically say a young RB cannot pass block as a default statement even if the RBs can. See whatever various horrible James Starks pass blocking statements there have been on this board for starters.

He cant look any worse than Jacobs tonight.

I suspect Scott's downfall is pass protection but I can't say that for sure

Bradshaw said he felt great then sat this week. I figure he's back next week. We'll see but I don't think that's good news for Scott fans

He cant look any worse than Jacobs tonight.I suspect Scott's downfall is pass protection but I can't say that for sure
That's Coughlin's MO. He doesn't play rookies much, but I expect Scott to make a splash next season.He's 210, blazing fast, & a good receiver. Outstanding dynasty stash.

Users who are viewing this thread