What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Meltdown in Japan's Reactors (1 Viewer)

I'm a rocket scientist. Definitely more is correct.I'm not a nuclear engineer, but my nuclear engineer friend says that we should just seal all waste into big drums and dump them into the mid-Atlantic ridge. He says they'd be safely buried there for long enough that they'd be so dilute by the time they escape there would be no hazard, even for long half-life isotopes.
:thumbup: on the more :thumbdown: on the dumping nuclear waste into the ocean
Only AIU could make me agree with Fennis.
:goodposting:
And only AIU could make Fennis give me a :goodposting:

Is there any reason we can't put nuclear waste somewhere else off the planet?
it's not cost effective
How many kilos of nuclear waste are generated per year? Say $5,000 per kilo for Proton rocketry, the 10B cleanup would get what, 2*106 Kgs out of our hair.
Rockets occasionally blow up.
more or less often than Japanese nuclear power plants?
Definitely more.
I'd like a rocket scientist to weigh in
I'm a rocket scientist. Definitely more is correct.I'm not a nuclear engineer, but my nuclear engineer friend says that we should just seal all waste into big drums and dump them into the mid-Atlantic ridge. He says they'd be safely buried there for long enough that they'd be so dilute by the time they escape there would be no hazard, even for long half-life isotopes.
Maybe you should ask a geologist if that is a good idea.
Come on bueno. You don't know the boundaries of your knowledge. You google reactor, read words like "core catcher" and throw it out there to capture come credibility. Then, it backfires. You don't have to know it all. We know you don't.

[i'm not a nuclear engineer, but my nuclear engineer friend says that we should just seal all waste into big drums and dump them into the mid-Atlantic ridge. He says they'd be safely buried there for long enough that they'd be so dilute by the time they escape there would be no hazard, even for long half-life isotopes.
I agree with your nuke friend. Deep water is the best shield for radioactivity. 36 feet of water = 1 inch of lead shielding. As you go deeper, the shielding is most effective in deep sea.
You have any clue what the mid-Atlantic Ridge is?
no...yes?
The Mid-Atlantic Ridge is a spreading center. Magma rises up at the ridge, pushing the sides of the ridge away from each other. It has active volcanoes, black smokers, hot springs and lots of circulation of hot water. The Marianas Trench on the other hand....

Is there any reason we can't put nuclear waste somewhere else off the planet?
it's not cost effective
How many kilos of nuclear waste are generated per year? Say $5,000 per kilo for Proton rocketry, the 10B cleanup would get what, 2*106 Kgs out of our hair.
Rockets occasionally blow up.
more or less often than Japanese nuclear power plants?
Definitely more.
I'd like a rocket scientist to weigh in
Maybe you should ask a geologist if that is a good idea.
Come on bueno. You don't know the boundaries of your knowledge. You google reactor, read words like "core catcher" and throw it out there to capture come credibility. Then, it backfires. You don't have to know it all. We know you don't.
Nice try. Not where that came from though.

The core catcher will be designed such that the fuel will be retrievable once it is safe and prudent to do so. Leaving it there to me would be equivalent to sticking your head in the sand.
Bueno, I haven't heard a single "expert" on TV mention the "core catcher". You're the only one I've read anywhere that mentions it, so I googled, and this is what I found:A popular blog post entitled "Why I am not worried a about Japan's nuclear reactors" claims that meltdown at Fukushima I would be contained, as a last resort, by the reactor's core catcher.

However a comment purporting to be from a young Japanese Atomic Energy Agency researcher claims that Fukushima I has no core catcher: http://morgsatlarge.wordpress.co...

Fukushima I was built in 1970 and the earliest reference to core catchers that I can find is this 1978 patent.

http://www.patentstorm.us/patent...

It seems unlikely therefore that a core catcher was installed, and since they go underneath the reactor I would assume they are not easy to retrofit. Does anyone have a definitive answer?
I sure hope there is one Tim. There is a third containment vessel. The base of that vessel is a concrete basin filled with graphite (I would have used boron) designed to catch the core.
OK, suppose there isn't. Does your statement about no danger to the Japanese people at large change?
Worst case? Hot fuel hits the water table, water flashes to steam, carries radioactive material into the atmosphere.
And what does that mean? Thousands of Japanese getting cancer and dying? Worse?

Dirty bomb. Which is why there had better be a core-catcher.
Sorry, I still don't know what this means. I don't know if you're trying to be mysterious, or if you think I know more than I do. Either way, I'm still confused. Can you just answer my question? (Bolded.)

The core catcher will be designed such that the fuel will be retrievable once it is safe and prudent to do so. Leaving it there to me would be equivalent to sticking your head in the sand.
Bueno, I haven't heard a single "expert" on TV mention the "core catcher". You're the only one I've read anywhere that mentions it, so I googled, and this is what I found:A popular blog post entitled "Why I am not worried a about Japan's nuclear reactors" claims that meltdown at Fukushima I would be contained, as a last resort, by the reactor's core catcher.

However a comment purporting to be from a young Japanese Atomic Energy Agency researcher claims that Fukushima I has no core catcher: http://morgsatlarge.wordpress.co...

Fukushima I was built in 1970 and the earliest reference to core catchers that I can find is this 1978 patent.

http://www.patentstorm.us/patent...

It seems unlikely therefore that a core catcher was installed, and since they go underneath the reactor I would assume they are not easy to retrofit. Does anyone have a definitive answer?
I sure hope there is one Tim. There is a third containment vessel. The base of that vessel is a concrete basin filled with graphite (I would have used boron) designed to catch the core.
OK, suppose there isn't. Does your statement about no danger to the Japanese people at large change?
Worst case? Hot fuel hits the water table, water flashes to steam, carries radioactive material into the atmosphere.
And what does that mean? Thousands of Japanese getting cancer and dying? Worse?

Dirty bomb. Which is why there had better be a core-catcher.
Sorry, I still don't know what this means. I don't know if you're trying to be mysterious, or if you think I know more than I do. Either way, I'm still confused. Can you just answer my question? (Bolded.)
I'm really frustrated. Not enough information from anyone to know exactly what is going on. So it is not me trying to be mysterious. It is just that not knowing where the breach is, how much fuel we are talking about, what the water table is like beneath the plant, what direction the wind is blowing, etc. You are asking a question that I can't answer fairly.

Wikipedia doing a good job keeping track of everything:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fukushima_I_nuclear_accidents

more on the 400mSV in this document:

The morning JST on 15 March 2011,Chief Cabinet Secretary Yukio Edano announced that according to the Fukushima prefectural government, the hourly radiation from the reactor unit 3 reached 400 mSv (400,000μSv) per hour

Last edited by a moderator:
Nikkei Flash Crash - Index is down 12%. Nasdaq, Dow, S&P all predicted to be down 2-3% right now in the morning.

Wikipedia doing a good job keeping track of everything:

http://en.wikipedia....clear_accidents

more on the 400mSV in this document:

The morning JST on 15 March 2011,Chief Cabinet Secretary Yukio Edano announced that according to the Fukushima prefectural government, the hourly radiation from the reactor unit 3 reached 400 mSv (400,000μSv) per hour
Nice find. I'm still reading through the article and some of the citations, but for Tim, this link shows a cross section of the reactor. The wetwell tarus is equivalent to a core catcher, though I have never heard that term for it before.What they call the suppression pool later in that article is also a core catcher of a type.

If Japan has to entomb the thing, it's a big blow to nuclear power IMO.
This is why nuclear power scares me. When something goes wrong, it really goes wrong.
Excluding Chernobyl, more people die annually in coal mines than have ever died in nuclear power plant accidents.
unfortunately that won't be the message everyone gets from this, no matter what the conclusion is. Certainly it's distressing and heartbreaking for the people of Japan but this is pretty much the absolute worst case scenario for a reactor to go through. But it's a gigantic smoking gun for politicians (with $ funnels from oil companies) to point to and destroy any movement towards nuclear energy in our near future. Oil companies must be walking around with giant hardons right now.

This is why nuclear power scares me. When something goes wrong, it really goes wrong.
Excluding Chernobyl, more people die annually in coal mines than have ever died in nuclear power plant accidents.
unfortunately that won't be the message everyone gets from this, no matter what the conclusion is. Certainly it's distressing and heartbreaking for the people of Japan but this is pretty much the absolute worst case scenario for a reactor to go through. But it's a gigantic smoking gun for politicians (with $ funnels from oil companies) to point to and destroy any movement towards nuclear energy in our near future. Oil companies must be walking around with giant hardons right now.
Solar and wind companies even more so - and their "corporate welfare" is a much larger percentage of their revenues than oil companies get. Not to hijack the link, but I'm betting the cause and effect we will see for other green energies will be larger than for oil.

Bueno, it's not the death toll, its the destruction of the environment. I think that's why a nuclear catastrophe is so poignant for humans. It's the biological destruction a portion of the earth for 10s of thousands of year solely due to our own folly. Sure there are other situations that are similar, but none that takes an "invisible" toll on the biology of the area.

Bueno, it's not the death toll, its the destruction of the environment. I think that's why a nuclear catastrophe is so poignant for humans. It's the biological destruction a portion of the earth for 10s of thousands of year solely due to our own folly. Sure there are other situations that are similar, but none that takes an "invisible" toll on the biology of the area.
Can you be more specific about this? What toll are you referring to? And can it possibly be as damaging, long term, as coal and oil have been to the environment and biodiversity?

I agree w/ bueno here. The biggest net benefactor (economically) is carbon neutral, sustainable energy technology. Money will be diverted from nuke to "green".

Solar and wind companies even more so - and their "corporate welfare" is a much larger percentage of their revenues than oil companies get. Not to hijack the link, but I'm betting the cause and effect we will see for other green energies will be larger than for oil.
I would hope for that to be the case, but solar and wind don't have the money to steer legislation that oil does. And that's a vast understatement.

What's the destruction to the environment? At this point it's all conjecture.

Can you be more specific about this? What toll are you referring to? And can it possibly be as damaging, long term, as coal and oil have been to the environment and biodiversity?
I'm talking about a Chernobyl type situation, where there is a largish section of earth where no humans are allowed to visit due to radiation effects. Have coal and oil wreaked more havoc overall? Yes. But that that's a cumulative thing. A nuclear catastrophe is a singular event which transforms the earth for a long* time.*probably forever in terms of human civilization

Sorry the death toll is less important to you, but seriously, nuclear is nowhere near the kind of environmental destruction that coal is - especially if you believe in AGW.

What's the destruction to the environment? At this point it's all conjecture.
Oh no doubt. I'm thinking worst case scenario where the core gets spewed into the atmosphere or over the ground.

I would hope for that to be the case, but solar and wind don't have the money to steer legislation that oil does. And that's a vast understatement.
But they do have the political clout and a motivated following.

I'm not arguing that a nuclear catastrophe is "worse" for humans or the earth than usage of fossil fuels. Rather, I'm discussing the psychologial implications of a nuclear catastrophe on the scale of Chernobyl. Will the Fukushima disaster be on this scale? Unlikely, but it will still have a deep psychological impact on humans.

I'm talking about a Chernobyl type situation, where there is a largish section of earth where no humans are allowed to visit due to radiation effects. Have coal and oil wreaked more havoc overall? Yes. But that that's a cumulative thing. A nuclear catastrophe is a singular event which transforms the earth for a long* time.*probably forever in terms of human civilization
I'm not a nuclear expert but every single nuclear expert I've ever heard/read has stated Chernobyl should in no way, shape, or form be used to judge nuclear power.

I'm not arguing that a nuclear catastrophe is "worse" for humans or the earth than usage of fossil fuels. Rather, I'm discussing the psychologial implications of a nuclear catastrophe on the scale of Chernobyl. Will the Fukushima disaster be on this scale? Unlikely, but it will still have a deep psychological impact on humans.
That's a pretty awful argument. We shouldn't use something that is better than the alternative simply because the mostly unfounded fears might give us nightmares?

I'm not a nuclear expert but every single nuclear expert I've ever heard/read has stated Chernobyl should in no way, shape, or form be used to judge nuclear power.
Honestly, I never thought that something on the magnitude of this disaster could ever happen in Japan. I would have bet money on Japan's nuclear expertise winning this battle at the outset. I think we all would have.

Hyperbole. First, it is very unlikely that this will result in that kind of accident. Second, that has not even happened at Hiroshima.

Don't forget natural gas.

I would love to be wrong, but I don't see it getting past the Great Wall of Oil Money anytime soon.

That's a pretty awful argument. We shouldn't use something that is better than the alternative simply because the mostly unfounded fears might give us nightmares?
I'm not advocating a position here. You guys want to pin that on me, and that's not at all what I'm saying.I was merely making a point on the psychology of the disaster and what it means for the future of energy.

I will agree with the psychological impact this will have, but don't ask me to believe that it is rational behavior.

I will agree with the psychological impact this will have, but don't ask me to believe that it is rational behavior.
I never said it was rational. When confronted with this sort of thing, humans are rarely rational.

Honestly, I never thought that something on the magnitude of this disaster could ever happen in Japan. I would have bet money on Japan's nuclear expertise winning this battle at the outset. I think we all would have.
I think they would have if they had fuel, water, unfettered access, undamaged equipment, etc. They didn't have a chance.

I never said it was rational. When confronted with this sort of thing, just about anything humans are rarely rational.
fixed

I'm not advocating a position here. You guys want to pin that on me, and that's not at all what I'm saying.I was merely making a point on the psychology of the disaster and what it means for the future of energy.
It sure seemed you were advocating a position. :shrug:

Don't forget natural gas.
I think natural gas is our best bet, but because it is a fossil fuel it won't get the support in some quarters, even though it burns cleaner than gasoline.

I think they would have if they had fuel, water, unfettered access, undamaged equipment, etc. They didn't have a chance.
Your saying that at the outset of this, you'd see multiple containment buildings ruptured and the likely meltdown of multiple cores? I didn't.

I would love to be wrong, but I don't see it getting past the Great Wall of Oil Money anytime soon.
The governor will pay me 10 times the cost of electrical power if I generate solar power and the feds will pay me 30% of my capital costs to build a wind farm. That's a lot of clout.

Your saying that at the outset of this, you'd see multiple containment buildings ruptured and the likely meltdown of multiple cores? I didn't.
Even so, if the equipment hadn't been destroyed I think they would have been okay. What they are facing is like trying to put out a wildfire by drinking Bud and pissing on it.

sounds like poor planning

sounds like poor planning
If something like this hit LA would you criticize the medical community for being unprepared?

So this plant is 160 miles from Tokyo CDB and there are some others closer - and it's a huge city - so does this accident start forcing evacuation of one of the largest cities in the World?

Users who are viewing this thread