Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
David Dodds

Meltdown in Japan's Reactors

I don't get everyone going bananas here about the 50 person thing. It's all automated -- you don't need that many people there, it's not like they are manually digging holes to bury the stuff. Why the hell risk more people than you need to?

Edited by Otis

As an aside, Anderson Cooper is not nearly impressive live on the streets as he is in the studio with a teleprompter. Not particularly well spoken and always stuttering and stammering.

But he looks REALLY good in a tight shirt.
That's what I was thinking. I lost myself in his eyes. Not sure what he said.

Can't they just pour cement over the entire site? Let's end this science experiment already.

Why do anything at all? This situation is clearly getting better by the nice ocean breeze alone.
It's almost like you (and Fennis) are hoping for bad news just so you'll be right. "I told you so!!"

Can't they just pour cement over the entire site? Let's end this science experiment already.

Why do anything at all? This situation is clearly getting better by the nice ocean breeze alone.
It's almost like you (and Fennis) are hoping for bad news just so you'll be right. "I told you so!!"
This. Feels so much like a ham thread.

I don't get everyone going bananas here about the 50 person thing. It's all automated -- you don't need that many people there, it's not like they are manually digging holes to bury the stuff. Why the hell risk more people than you need to?

Seriously...this whole problem would've been averted had people just trusted that the automated processes were working. Send all the employees home. It's all good.

People here are claiming that the readings are good 20 feet from the plant. Can you guys provide a link for that?

I have read a lot on this and I have not seen a single article confirming this "fact" at all.

Were these the same readings that were so good that they told all of the workers to leave because they were too high? Those facts seem to be in dispute with one another.

Thanks in advance.

So far in this thread I have learned than hydrogen explosions at nuclear reactors are good news, sea water flushes are part of the operating manual, when you send 600 people home and keep just 50 it's because there is no work to do, cooling is mandatory, but if you forget to do it, nothing really happens anyway.

All is good. Wiffle ball tournament to start next week on the site.

You're crazy if you think that a massive earthquake + giant tsunami left all the control systems and infrastructure intact.I'm sure they're doing some patchwork #### in there right now.

Adding sea water is automated (I did not even know this was part of the plan since doing this ruins the reactor)? Putting out fires is automated? I must have missed that news item as well.

Seriously...this whole problem would've been averted had people just trusted that the automated processes were working. Send all the employees home. It's all good.
Listen Dodds, this isn't an all-or-nothing proposition. It's not either massive devistation or "ok fine Otis everything is fine let's just play frisbee there.". Jesus.

People here are claiming that the readings are good 20 feet from the plant. Can you guys provide a link for that?I have read a lot on this and I have not seen a single article confirming this "fact" at all.Were these the same readings that were so good that they told all of the workers to leave because they were too high? Those facts seem to be in dispute with one another.Thanks in advance. So far in this thread I have learned than hydrogen explosions at nuclear reactors are good news, sea water flushes are part of the operating manual, when you send 600 people home and keep just 50 it's because there is no work to do, cooling is mandatory, but if you forget to do it, nothing really happens anyway. All is good. Wiffle ball tournament to start next week on the site.

Geez David, have you had your annual physical yet? If not, ask your doctor to check your brain wave patterns.

This. Feels so much like a ham thread.
I don't believe this. And it's very different from a Ham thread. Dodd is putting facts out there, and saying, "I'm worried about this, you should be too." We can debate how much one should be worried. Ham, on the other hand, puts in half-truths and myths from websites filled with crackpot theories, and then makes outright assumptions from thin air. Dodds hasn't done this. I think Dodds is overreacting, but he is overreacting to facts not to BS.

Listen Dodds, this isn't an all-or-nothing proposition. It's not either massive devistation or "ok fine Otis everything is fine let's just play frisbee there.". Jesus.
I hear you Bueno

Adding sea water is automated (I did not even know this was part of the plan since doing this ruins the reactor)? Putting out fires is automated? I must have missed that news item as well.
Ever hold a match up to that little round thing in the ceiling?

People here are claiming that the readings are good 20 feet from the plant. Can you guys provide a link for that?I have read a lot on this and I have not seen a single article confirming this "fact" at all.Were these the same readings that were so good that they told all of the workers to leave because they were too high? Those facts seem to be in dispute with one another.Thanks in advance. So far in this thread I have learned than hydrogen explosions at nuclear reactors are good news, sea water flushes are part of the operating manual, when you send 600 people home and keep just 50 it's because there is no work to do, cooling is mandatory, but if you forget to do it, nothing really happens anyway. All is good. Wiffle ball tournament to start next week on the site.

It's all definitely black and white. Should we start colonizing Mars now given how bleak the situation is?Dodds>turn on CNN. Dr. Sanjay Gupta is your friend. He's been live all nut debunking the hysteria. HTH

Here's what I've seen. Grain of salt and all that. A rough translated timeline from news updates.

March 15th

00:41am: #2 reactor pressure and water levels as follows:

Reactor pressure: 1.72MPa

Reactor water level: Downscale

01:11am: #2 reactor vents presumed open:

Reactor pressure: 1.44MPa -> 0.92MPa

02:07am: #2 reactor pressure as follows:

Reactor Pressure: 0.63MPa

02:45am: #2 reactor pressure and water levels as follows:

Reactor Pressure: 0.653MPa

Reactor Water Level: Downscale

03:00am: At the #2 reactor, due to pressure in the drywell exceeding planned specifications, despite measures to lower pressure and inject water, pressure did not decrease.

05:00am: At the #3 reactor, pressure and water levels are as follows:

Reactor Pressure: (A) 0.24MPa

(B) 0.24MPa

Reactor Water Level: (A) -1800mm

(B) -2300mm

05:00am: At the #2 reactor, pressure and water levels are as follows:

Reactor Pressure: 0.626MPa

Reactor Water Level: Downscale

06:14am: At the #4 reactor, a sound is heard and a hole is opened in the wall.

At the #3 reactor, there is smoke.

At the #2 reactor, an abnormal sound occurs at the suppression pool, in which pressure lowers, thus an abnormal event has occurred.

06:20am: At the #2 reactor, pressure and water levels are as follows:

Reactor Pressure: 0.612MPa

Reactor Water Levels: -2700mm

06:42am: At the #2 reactor, there is the appearance of damage to the suppression pool (Chief Cabinet Secretary Edano’s Press Conference)

06:56am: Appearance of a deformation in the roof at the #4 reactor.

08:25am: White smoke confirmed from the 5th floor area of the #2 reactor building.

09:16am: In order to prevent hydrogen explosions in the vents at the #5 and #6 reactors, studies are made regarding removing panels from the walls of the buildings.

09:38am: A fire is confirmed at the 3rd floor northwest area of the #4 reactor building and fire fighters are notified.

10:01am: A request is made by the American Military to the Ministry of Economics, Trade and Industry regarding the fire at the #4 reactor.

10:21am: Regarding the fire at the #4 reactor, an electrical generator is set up to restart circulation. Presently, the American military and JSDF are preparing for fire fighting activities.

10:59am: An order is received by Fukushima Dai-ichi Offsite Center to evacuate. Evacuation to Fukushima Prefectural Government Building.

11:00am: Fire at #4 reactor appears, at first glance, to be extinguished.

11:25am: At reactor #2, pressure and water levels are as follows:

Reactor Pressure: 0.27MPa

Reactor Water Levels: -1200mm

11:26am: Offsite center completes evacuation to Fukushima Prefectural Government Offices.

11:30am: At reactor #3, pressure and water levels are as follows:

Reactor Pressure: 0.249MPa

Reactor Water Levels: (A) -1900mm

(B) -2300mm

11:31am: Fire at #4 reactor appears to be extinguished, however as there is oil nearby, the chance of reignition cannot be ruled out.

12:29pm: Confirmation of fire extinguished at #4 reactor (as personnel cannot enter the building, confirmation is made from outside)

1:24pm: Debris from the explosions cannot be removed sufficiently to allow fire fighting and transport vehicles to enter. Plans are made to continue efforts to remove debris through the night.

1:30pm: At reactor #2, pressure and water levels are as follows:

Reactor Pressure: 0.608 MPa

Reactor Water Levels: -1700mm

I think if we all freak out and overreact a little more to every statement it will make the situation much better.

According to Yahoo the workers have returned!!

Impossible. That doesn't jibe with my endworld scenarios.

Geez David, have you had your annual physical yet? If not, ask your doctor to check your brain wave patterns.
People are making claims. I would like to see a link.

Yahoo also updated their headline just now.Workers return to stricken nuclear planthttp://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/wl_nm/us_japan_quake

TOKYO (Reuters) – Workers were ordered to withdraw briefly from a stricken Japanese nuclear power plant on Wednesday after radiation levels surged,

Explain to me why you need 100 people in that building right now.

Can we get a link to a single radiation-related casualty?

People are making claims. I would like to see a link.
Maybe you should try different shtick though.

Also where is the link to the land being uninhabitable for tens of thousands of years?

I question the motive of sending them back in there. All 6 reactors are in trouble and pressure rising in each. It has been said that the pumping of seawater is like trying to inject water into an inflated ballon. If the seawater is not making it to the inner vessel, what is the point of sending these 50 brave souls to their death? It looks more like a political statement, and that "hail mary" pass missed its mark.

Also where is the link to the land being uninhabitable for tens of thousands of years?

Hey Venus is uninhabitable and look at all the radiation it gets from the sun!

Coordinates: 51°16′20″N 30°13′27″E

Well the fire supposedly started in #4, because the workers were too busy pumping sea water into the other reactors. And since they have stated these are the only 50 workers, what happens when some get tired? Is it ok not to spray the sea water for 6 hours or so? How long will these 50 people be needed in this task? Again, MAYBE there is an explanation that makes sense. I have my hunches that these people are being sacrificed. Wilked (the expert in this thread) said something very similar. Bueno believes it only takes a few people so everyone else was sent home.The issue I have with this whole thing is the big wall of secrecy. No updates. Clear people out 18 miles away. No readings given to the public. No explanation of actions or next steps. All talks with the media halted. Even our government is saying they are being kept out of the loop. Google Japanese Nuclear and you find a history of non-compliance in this area. A history on grossly under-reporting things from TEPCO, etc. The world seems to want to help here, but Japan is acting if something terribly wrong is happening. So yes I am concerned because to me it looks like a complete cover up (of something) is underway. And magically months from now when they say it's cool for people to go back to their homes, I think there are still a zillion questions which I doubt will ever be answered. If this kind of power is as safe as every says it is, it doesn't need to be run like this. And the very fact that's not happening, well I think it adds a huge cloud to the "safeness" of this kind of power. So for the people that think this "nukes" Nuclear power for awhile, I suspect it will indeed as the level of secrecy points to something that is far less "safe" than has been advertised.

Its weird to me how much the bar moves each time there is bad news. Every time something progresses worse, the reaction among people like you is that OK, thats normal, its not really bad, its all to be expected. It's getting to the point that anything short of a complete meltdown ala China Syndrome indicates Dodds (and Fennis) are just overreacting nuts who should wear tin foil hats.**sig material

Well the fire supposedly started in #4, because the workers were too busy pumping sea water into the other reactors. And since they have stated these are the only 50 workers, what happens when some get tired? Is it ok not to spray the sea water for 6 hours or so? How long will these 50 people be needed in this task? Again, MAYBE there is an explanation that makes sense. I have my hunches that these people are being sacrificed. Wilked (the expert in this thread) said something very similar. Bueno believes it only takes a few people so everyone else was sent home.The issue I have with this whole thing is the big wall of secrecy. No updates. Clear people out 18 miles away. No readings given to the public. No explanation of actions or next steps. All talks with the media halted. Even our government is saying they are being kept out of the loop. Google Japanese Nuclear and you find a history of non-compliance in this area. A history on grossly under-reporting things from TEPCO, etc. The world seems to want to help here, but Japan is acting if something terribly wrong is happening. So yes I am concerned because to me it looks like a complete cover up (of something) is underway. And magically months from now when they say it's cool for people to go back to their homes, I think there are still a zillion questions which I doubt will ever be answered. If this kind of power is as safe as every says it is, it doesn't need to be run like this. And the very fact that's not happening, well I think it adds a huge cloud to the "safeness" of this kind of power. So for the people that think this "nukes" Nuclear power for awhile, I suspect it will indeed as the level of secrecy points to something that is far less "safe" than has been advertised.
:rant::crazy::tinfoilhat::scared::porked:

So for the people that think this "nukes" Nuclear power for awhile, I suspect it will indeed as the level of secrecy points to something that is far less "safe" than has been advertised.

I suspect that you are right. The IAEA will need to wield more power in the future from a watchdog perch, with real enforcement action and economic sanctions imposed for non-compliance. People will mistrust nuclear, and that is a shame. But I can't blame them.

Its weird to me how much the bar moves each time there is bad news. Every time something progresses worse, the reaction among people like you is that OK, thats normal, its not really bad, its all to be expected. It's getting to the point that anything short of a complete meltdown ala China Syndrome indicates Dodds (and Fennis) are just overreacting nuts who should wear tin foil hats.**sig material
Exactly. I am not sure if people are even watching the same thing unfold.At first: Loss of power, loss of backup power. Things getting hotter. Japan decides to push sea water in to cool one of the reactors off and vent off the steam. Yes that sucks that they will ruin the reactor, but it's old anyway. At least only one is damaged. And lucky for us, three reactors are offline.A bit later: A hydrogen explosion takes place removing a big part of the building. Japan tells us not to worry, that's not the containment area. And we now have issues in three of the six reactors.a bit later: Radiation found 100 miles away at sea by our Navy. Oh maybe that steam does contain a bit of Cesium and other harmful things.a bit later: More explosions. Japan indicating some level of breach has actually happened. Pictures now showing the tops of these reactors are missing. and those inactive reactors...Well they have major issues now too because all of the reactors are also holding spent rods as well. That area at the top....where that is where we store the spent rods. And they need to be under water constantly or they get super hot. and yes radiation is coming off them.a bit later: We are going to send everyone, but 50 workers home. Plus we are widening the evacuation zone and telling people to seal up their houses and not use the air conditioners. But the air is 100% safe. Believe us.a bit later: We are no longer talking to the media.a bit later: We are getting really high readings outside the plant. We are pulling everyone back.I am sure I have a missed a few events, but how anyone thinks this isn't getting worse and worse is beyond me. The Japan government lied (or with held critical info) from the very start and then finally created a gag order when it was obvious this situation isn't getting better.

Exactly. I am not sure if people are even watching the same thing unfold.At first: Loss of power, loss of backup power. Things getting hotter. Japan decides to push sea water in to cool one of the reactors off and vent off the steam. Yes that sucks that they will ruin the reactor, but it's old anyway. At least only one is damaged. And lucky for us, three reactors are offline.A bit later: A hydrogen explosion takes place removing a big part of the building. Japan tells us not to worry, that's not the containment area. And we now have issues in three of the six reactors.a bit later: Radiation found 100 miles away at sea by our Navy. Oh maybe that steam does contain a bit of Cesium and other harmful things.a bit later: More explosions. Japan indicating some level of breach has actually happened. Pictures now showing the tops of these reactors are missing. and those inactive reactors...Well they have major issues now too because all of the reactors are also holding spent rods as well. That area at the top....where that is where we store the spent rods. And they need to be under water constantly or they get super hot. and yes radiation is coming off them.a bit later: We are going to send everyone, but 50 workers home. Plus we are widening the evacuation zone and telling people to seal up their houses and not use the air conditioners. But the air is 100% safe. Believe us.a bit later: We are no longer talking to the media.a bit later: We are getting really high readings outside the plant. We are pulling everyone back.I am sure I have a missed a few events, but how anyone thinks this isn't getting worse and worse is beyond me. The Japan government lied (or with held critical info) from the very start and then finally created a gag order when it was obvious this situation isn't getting better.
It doesn't justify the level of terror you seem to be experiencing.

BTW David, could we get an "THE END IS NEAR" smiley? We could call it the :ham:

Which specfic couple of posts indicate terror?

Most everything David has posted has undertones of emotional panic.

maybe you're projecting your own repressed feelings on Dodds

maybe you're projecting your own repressed feelings on Dodds
I do not appear to be the only one that thinks that.

Remember this video from awhile back, because it definitely spun me out on the "Lord forgive us for we know not what we do" front, but it almost makes me feel better knowing the planet has to date withstood this many nuclear explosions... Though I do believe this falls into my general sense that we're far too casual with how we treat the planet, whether it be fracking or oil drilling this:

Edited: This is a visual of every nuclear explosion that has occurred since 1945, which now numbers over 2,000.

And again, I know it's been firmly established that I'm crazy but I tend to look at things like this and think it's not a great idea.

Edited by Mr. Ham

Remember this video from awhile back, because it definitely spun me out on the "Lord forgive us for we know not what we do" front, but it almost makes me feel better knowing the planet has to date withstood this many nuclear explosions... Though I do believe this falls into my general sense that we're far too casual with how we treat the planet, whether it be fracking or oil drilling this:

Edited: This is a visual of every nuclear explosion that has occurred since 1945, which now numbers over 2,000.

And again, I know it's been firmly established that I'm crazy but I tend to look at things like this and think it's not a great idea.

What do nuclear explosions have to do with nuclear reactors?

Here is a video of ABC News correspondent George Stephanopoulos interviewing Dr. Michio Kaku of the City University of New York. He says we are almost at the point of no return and Japan needs to mobilize its air force to be ready to sandbag and seal these reactors in a sarcophagus of concrete like they did at Chernobyl.

What do nuclear explosions have to do with nuclear reactors?
Makes me feel somewhat better that there's a bit of radiation spewing from a couple of reactors when the planet has been able to absorb and withstand this.

As an aside, Anderson Cooper is not nearly impressive live on the streets as he is in the studio with a teleprompter. Not particularly well spoken and always stuttering and stammering.

But he looks REALLY good in a tight shirt.
That's what I was thinking. I lost myself in his eyes. Not sure what he said.
Cooper should never ever leave the sudio again. In one of his first broadacats from Japan, he was freaking out after an explosion. "Oh, is it safe here? Should we pull back? Am I in danger here?" Panic in his voice. Since then all he does is stammer and stutter. He can't put a coherent sentence together. Go home Anderson. The news networks are encouraging panic as much as they can too, and they have an audience licking their chops, apparently preferring to live in fear and panic of ... nothing. Hours, hours after the workers were sent back in, they were still repoerting that they had evacuated. Then they replay those old reports all night long. I don't beleive the workers were gone for much more than an hour. There was a release, once it was over, they went back in. Is it serious? Yes. Is it catastrophic or likely to become so? No. The real problem is Japan hates to keep the public informed, and as a result, people want to beleive the worst. Japan has always been secretive, it's really a cultural thing. The sad thing is this story has over shadowed the real disaster, the real carnage, the real problem. Over 10,000 dead, no food, no water, and freezing to death. No search dogs, just guys walking around sticking poles into the debris. No matter, but OMG! The nuke plants! OMG!