What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Draft Idea I had (4 Viewers)

Jeff Pasquino

Footballguy
I'm posting this here since the PDSL crowd is probably best to answer it. If need be I'll bring it to the SP but I dare say more eyes are here right now.

Anyway, here's my thought. We've all been in drafts where we think "If I just had an extra pick here, I could pick both of the guys I really want...." when we're torn between two guys.

We've also been in drafts where we've offered say our next 2 picks for a pick on the clock (OTC) and a later pick in return. For example, 3.08 is on the clock and there's a guy you love. You'd be thrilled to give your 4th and 5th for this pick in return for a late round pick and this pick.

So here's my thought - what if you had a draft where - at any time you are OTC - you can make two picks in a row? The price is that you must give up your next two draft picks. That's the deal. So if you are OTC in Round 3, you can "Take Two" at the price of your 4th and 5th picks.

So the format would be 21 rounds knowing that you're going to give up two picks for a Double-Dip at some point. 12x21 draft.

So here are my questions:

1. Would you enjoy this type of draft?

2. What do you think the strategy would be?

:popcorn:

So if I have 1.01, I pick 1.01, 1.02 and 1.03 - knowing that most of the other teams to follow will do the same thing thus eliminating all or most of round 2 and round 3 bringing me back to almost where I would have ended-up before getting the first three picks in the draft...

The problem is the crowd mentality and whether anyone follows the leader. I would think that the advantage would be the first one to impliment this strategy and hope that the other teams follow. An example of this occured in a recent dynasty disbursement draft I participated in - there were six new owners but only 5 rookie draft packages available. The guess was at which end of the draft the packages would start to come off the board - with the team on the other end being the odd man out. Just no way to make this work without everyone following the first person to jump so as to protect your interest in building your roster.

I'm posting this here since the PDSL crowd is probably best to answer it. If need be I'll bring it to the SP but I dare say more eyes are here right now.Anyway, here's my thought. We've all been in drafts where we think "If I just had an extra pick here, I could pick both of the guys I really want...." when we're torn between two guys.We've also been in drafts where we've offered say our next 2 picks for a pick on the clock (OTC) and a later pick in return. For example, 3.08 is on the clock and there's a guy you love. You'd be thrilled to give your 4th and 5th for this pick in return for a late round pick and this pick. So here's my thought - what if you had a draft where - at any time you are OTC - you can make two picks in a row? The price is that you must give up your next two draft picks. That's the deal. So if you are OTC in Round 3, you can "Take Two" at the price of your 4th and 5th picks.So the format would be 21 rounds knowing that you're going to give up two picks for a Double-Dip at some point. 12x21 draft.So here are my questions:1. Would you enjoy this type of draft?2. What do you think the strategy would be? :popcorn:
CJ/ADP sure would be nice at the 1.1 spot.Can't imagine wanting to give up the next two picks after the first round. The trade calculator would show that the return is diminishing as the draft progresses.

Wouldn't you come up short a full roster by giving two picks to make one? Y'know, if it's a set number of rounds.

So if I have 1.01, I pick 1.01, 1.02 and 1.03 - knowing that most of the other teams to follow will do the same thing thus eliminating all or most of round 2 and round 3 bringing me back to almost where I would have ended-up before getting the first three picks in the draft...The problem is the crowd mentality and whether anyone follows the leader. I would think that the advantage would be the first one to impliment this strategy and hope that the other teams follow. An example of this occured in a recent dynasty disbursement draft I participated in - there were six new owners but only 5 rookie draft packages available. The guess was at which end of the draft the packages would start to come off the board - with the team on the other end being the odd man out. Just no way to make this work without everyone following the first person to jump so as to protect your interest in building your roster.
No, if you have 1.01, you can get 1.02 as well but then nothing until round 4.

Wouldn't you come up short a full roster by giving two picks to make one? Y'know, if it's a set number of rounds.
The assumption is that everyone will do this at some point - hence a 12x20 becomes a 12x21 draft, knowing that you'll do a 2-for-1 at some point.

If everyone did it in round 1............there really wouldnt be a round 2 or 3 right?
Correct. The order would not change, just skip two rounds so round 4, 5, 6 etc would be as if nothing changed other than the teams at the top of the draft got two better picks than those at the bottom.

If everyone did it in round 1............there really wouldnt be a round 2 or 3 right?
Correct. The order would not change, just skip two rounds so round 4, 5, 6 etc would be as if nothing changed other than the teams at the top of the draft got two better picks than those at the bottom.
Except at the tail end of round 1, it likely wouldn't make sense to move your 2nd up right behind your first (moving only a few spots) at the price of your 3rd. You'd want to probably wait until your Rd2 was OTC.

Jeff...try this on for size. Once an owner went on the clock, he could force a trade using the trade calculator and the other owner would have to obilige.

For example, I'm drafting at 1.1 and on the clock. You draft at 1.2. I can force a trade of your 1.2 and 12.2 (1879) for my 2.12 and 3.1 (1883 value). This wouuld accomplish what you are looking for. You have no say in the matter. When you turn came up at 2.12 you could then make any trade you wanted and you could do the same again when you went on the clock at 3.1.

YOu could also trade out of a spot but I would think you would have to not allow this until the 2nd round when the % value difference from one spot to the next isn't as significant.

Jeff...try this on for size. Once an owner went on the clock, he could force a trade using the trade calculator and the other owner would have to obilige.For example, I'm drafting at 1.1 and on the clock. You draft at 1.2. I can force a trade of your 1.2 and 12.2 (1879) for my 2.12 and 3.1 (1883 value). This wouuld accomplish what you are looking for. You have no say in the matter. When you turn came up at 2.12 you could then make any trade you wanted and you could do the same again when you went on the clock at 3.1.YOu could also trade out of a spot but I would think you would have to not allow this until the 2nd round when the % value difference from one spot to the next isn't as significant.
trade calc pretty much stops after anything in the 150 range IIRC.

Jeff...try this on for size. Once an owner went on the clock, he could force a trade using the trade calculator and the other owner would have to obilige.For example, I'm drafting at 1.1 and on the clock. You draft at 1.2. I can force a trade of your 1.2 and 12.2 (1879) for my 2.12 and 3.1 (1883 value). This wouuld accomplish what you are looking for. You have no say in the matter. When you turn came up at 2.12 you could then make any trade you wanted and you could do the same again when you went on the clock at 3.1.YOu could also trade out of a spot but I would think you would have to not allow this until the 2nd round when the % value difference from one spot to the next isn't as significant.
trade calc pretty much stops after anything in the 150 range IIRC.
190. That gets you 15 rounds deep.

dude I thought I was a fantasy slut and had too much free time on my hands but I'm tucking tail and taking my ball and going home after getting ##### slapped by the pimp....holy ####...... :bow:

This is a valid option as well. Under this scenario I think that once you got past a certain point (given the calc limitations) I would say that forced trades are nixed. I'd tentatively put that at Pick 96 (end of 6 rounds in 16 teams, or 8 in 12 teams). It could be 98 for 14-teams but that's an odd number so 84 might have to be the rule there.So given that, would there be a cap to forced deals?Would the deal have to be say within a few % of even to be executed?

This is a valid option as well. Under this scenario I think that once you got past a certain point (given the calc limitations) I would say that forced trades are nixed. I'd tentatively put that at Pick 96 (end of 6 rounds in 16 teams, or 8 in 12 teams). It could be 98 for 14-teams but that's an odd number so 84 might have to be the rule there.So given that, would there be a cap to forced deals?Would the deal have to be say within a few % of even to be executed?
Even or net loss to force a trade.

Can you force a trade with the next pick or with any later pick?

I would also consider not allowing forced trades in the 1st.

Can you force a trade with the next pick or with any later pick? I would also consider not allowing forced trades in the 1st.
If you can force a trade with any later pick, this could become the draft version of Bad Santa. I trade my 3.12 and 4.01 for your 2.07 and 8.07 (just an example, no idea if that's right), Bob then trades his 3.10 and 4.03 for my 2.07 and 8.07... this could get fun. We'd have to force a delay between a forced trade and making the pick to make this work.

Can you force a trade with the next pick or with any later pick? I would also consider not allowing forced trades in the 1st.
If you can force a trade with any later pick, this could become the draft version of Bad Santa. I trade my 3.12 and 4.01 for your 2.07 and 8.07 (just an example, no idea if that's right), Bob then trades his 3.10 and 4.03 for my 2.07 and 8.07... this could get fun. We'd have to force a delay between a forced trade and making the pick to make this work.
Not applicable if you can only trade for later picks > you can't trade a 3.12 for anything earlier than 3.13. Also you can only force a trade when your pick is up. Maybe consider a traded pick cannot be forced again, and a team whose pick has already been forced cannot have another pick forced.

Not applicable if you can only trade for later picks > you can't trade a 3.12 for anything earlier than 3.13. Also you can only force a trade when your pick is up. Maybe consider a traded pick cannot be forced again, and a team whose pick has already been forced cannot have another pick forced.
I don't see it being an issue. With the three max limit Jeff is proposing your only looking at 3 x 16 trades. Only being able to make a trade when you are on the clock will limit the craziness.The only restirction I would suggest (and primarily because I think the pick calculator is too steep at the top) is no trading down in the first round.

The way I envisioned it was that owner one would go on the clock. It's your option to make a trade. After you make a trade (or don't), then you must make your pick. I guess in theory, 1.1 could secure the 1st 4 picks of the draft by trading, but I doubt they would have enough future pick value to pull that off.

'Kruppe said:
I agree. Avoiding a first round forced trade might not be a bad idea---but I would think going to round 7-8 before eliminating the forces would be acceptable

Jeff -

With all due respect, this idea blows.

The beauty of trading draft picks, whether it is during the NFL draft or in the local neighborhood bar league, is that two human beings, both with different ideas of what is fair, have to come to an agreement on the exchange for the deal to get done. The trade between these two individuals potentially effects everyone else in the league as well, so the negotiation that usually goes on between the two, which eventually balances the trade out, is the needed check and balance to keep these trades from killing innocent bystanders.

In this system, one person is basically imposing their will on everyone else around them with no check and balance on their action. Yes, you've designed default consequences for them, but the impact of those consequences vary wildly throughout the draft.

I don't like it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread