Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please See Mine

The Killing - New AMC series starts tonight

'The Killing' - 'Super 8': Bits 'n pieces

By Alan Sepinwall

Sunday, Apr 24, 2011

A review of tonight's "The Killing" coming up just as soon as I've had enough of the Tickle-Me Elmo...

"It gets better." -Richmond

On one level, "Super 8" alleviated some of the fears I'd started to develop about the show last week. On another, I'm actually more concerned than I was before.

First, fair is fair: the episode didn't dismiss Bennet Ahmed as a suspect within the first 10 minutes, then close with yet another character being presented as the new prime suspect. Linden and Holder spent most of the hour working on Bennet, and are clearly going to continue with him next week. That's the way this show should work: not with the various suspects being laid out in a straight line, with one being eliminated at a time, but with the investigation, and the show, keeping an eye on a lot of possibilities at once.

So that was good, and I hear what some of you were saying last week about how Kris and Jasper could very well have done something bad, given how concerned they were until they found out exactly what evidence the cops had. And I appreciated that where last week's episode felt like a plot sandwich - all the major story points were placed at the beginning and end, with a lot of smaller character stuff in the middle - "Super 8" felt more evenly-distributed. (Though Linden's discover that Rosie may have been the victim of a serial killer was a relatively big development saved for close to the end.)

All that having been said, though, "Super 8" is the first time in this young season where I've seriously found my interest flagging throughout most of the hour.

The political storyline has always been a problem, and remains one. They started tying it back to the investigation a bit, with Gwen trying to push Richmond at Mitch Larsen, and Darren secretly resisting that push - and also with Bennet appearing arm-in-arm with Richmond in the commercial - but it still largely feels like part of an entirely different, less compelling show. I barely even remembered who Nathan was(*), so revealing him to be the mole mattered not a whit to me, particularly since we're still meant to distrust Gwen on some level. I like Eric Ladin, who plays Jamie, but I don't need to see him vomit in extreme close-up, and the rest of his "date" with Mayor Adams didn't feel necessary, unless Adams turns out to be a suspect in a future episode and his working-class backstory and showy, obnoxious persona will be important to understand at that point.

(*) Given that it's a thriller cliche for the mole himself to be put in charge of the mole hunt ("24" did that several times), I suppose I should have paid closer attention to Nathan. But I keep having higher expectations for this show - that even though it has to contort itself a bit to keep the plot going for 13 episodes, it won't have to fall back on the cheaper and more obvious devices to do so - because most of AMC's output until now has managed to avoid this stuff. Of course, most of AMC's output until now hasn't been this plot-driven (and "Rubicon" tended to stumble most when it focused on plot).

But it wasn't just Richmond's corner of the show that struggled to keep me caring this week.

I continue to enjoy Mireille Enos' performance as Linden while not particularly liking the way Linden is being written. The idea that she gets sucked in by her cases and obsesses about the victims is a pretty familiar one - albeit with a gender-bent twist, as it's usually the wife or girlfriend complaining to the male detective about it. I don't object to the show hitting familiar beats - how many new cop stories are there to tell at this point? - but I want to feel like there's more new life in them than what the show has presented so far. I can predict most of what Callum Keith Rennie's going to say before he says it, and that's not good.(**)

(**) Also, I'm glad that at least Rick understands the show well enough by now to know that Sarah's not going to be in Sonoma in time for the party. This is getting silly, folks. We all knows she's in it for the duration, so just stop having her pretend otherwise.

And after a few episodes of acting more competent and clever than he initially seemed, Holder has gone back to being the impatient, cartoonishly ill-mannered thug he was back in the pilot. (Albeit a thug with some secrets, like the envelope of cash he leaves for what I'm assuming are his estranged wife and kids.) I see where Veena Sud and company are trying to go with this, but he's just so over-the-top with it that I can't see Linden putting up with this. She has no future in this department (or so she thinks), and therefore no need to worry about burning bridges; this guy would have sent even a reserved cop like her to the captain already to request a more seasoned, politically-astute detective be put on things.

And for the first time of the season, I can relate a bit to the complaints I've been seeing from some of you going back to the premiere double-feature, about how much you want to watch of the Larsens imploding from grief. I watched Stan lose it in the gas station bathroom, and my brain kept toggling between two different reactions: "Wow, Brent Sexton is just leaving it all out there, isn't he?" and "I don't know how much more of this I need to see." There was a point to it, ultimately: to show just how much Stan is struggling with this, and to give him an impetus to start running his own shadow investigation that will inevitably cause all sorts of trouble for himself, Linden, Holder and whichever red herring suspect he gets his hands on.

Fortunately, the show does indeed seem to be pulling both Stan and Mitch out of their catatonia, and with any luck the other lethargic parts of this week's episode will be livened up when we get to next week's outing. But this was definitely the series' weakest outing to date.

Finally, let me remind you again that any discussion of the plot of the Danish series from after the events depicted in this episode is off-limits. Anything that so much as hints at stuff that happened later in "Forbrydelsen" will be deleted.

What did everybody else think?

When the father met with the mob boss...I was under the impression that there was an actual family tie there too. Like it was his Dad or his uncle or something. When he yelled about not being a part of that family I took it to mean that he was never a father to him or abandoned him or something like that.

I'm going with what Linden said that maybe its something Rosie saw. There's been way to much talk about the development of the waterfront to not have that be relevant to this whole thing. Any type of mass development will usually have mob connections. So maybe Rosie stumbled upon some shady mob deal between the mayor and the mob boss guy, mob boss guy has Daddy's worker kill her and then stash her in the trunk of Mayor's opposition to secure his victory.

I'm going with what Linden said that maybe its something Rosie saw. There's been way to much talk about the development of the waterfront to not have that be relevant to this whole thing. Any type of mass development will usually have mob connections. So maybe Rosie stumbled upon some shady mob deal between the mayor and the mob boss guy, mob boss guy has Daddy's worker kill her and then stash her in the trunk of Mayor's opposition to secure his victory.

Not bad. At the very least I can see this possibility being introduced on the show.

To add to this....what if Jasper's dad has all his money from mob connections....I'm sure she could have been privy to a lot of info by hanging out with him over the years :shrug:

And for the first time of the season, I can relate a bit to the complaints I've been seeing from some of you going back to the premiere double-feature, about how much you want to watch of the Larsens imploding from grief. I watched Stan lose it in the gas station bathroom, and my brain kept toggling between two different reactions: "Wow, Brent Sexton is just leaving it all out there, isn't he?" and "I don't know how much more of this I need to see." There was a point to it, ultimately: to show just how much Stan is struggling with this, and to give him an impetus to start running his own shadow investigation that will inevitably cause all sorts of trouble for himself, Linden, Holder and whichever red herring suspect he gets his hands on.

Not that I enjoy seeing a parent grieving the loss of a daughter, but the scene was awesome times infinity. They've let the grief simmer just under the surface and after the funeral home visit, it was on. The "would you like to see her in this dress" line was too much and I'd be a total wreck.

If Stan's employee/friend has anything to do with the murder, Stan will shred him.

'The Killing' - 'Super 8': Bits 'n pieces

By Alan Sepinwall

Sunday, Apr 24, 2011

Boooooooooooooooooooooooo

Nice to see the guy from Living Color getting work.

Nice to see the guy from Living Color getting work.

Link
:lmao:

When the father met with the mob boss...I was under the impression that there was an actual family tie there too. Like it was his Dad or his uncle or something. When he yelled about not being a part of that family I took it to mean that he was never a father to him or abandoned him or something like that.

I thought this too.

Not bad. At the very least I can see this possibility being introduced on the show.
Good stuff- definitly plausible, and ties in Rosie's Super 8 films as potential evidence/motive.

Can you even get Super 8 film any more?

If that's true I think that's even worse and comes off like a spoiled brat. Could you imagine going to your father, taking his money then telling him he's NOT family? Don't take my money and insult me then. The mob boss should have taken his money back and said fine then GTFO

"Kinnaman, whose father is American, spent a year in Texas as a high school exchange student. His English is as perfectly American as it sounds on “The Killing.”

Well, looks like we have solid info

SPOILER ALERT

SO looks like Rosie shows up at Benetts house at, wife goes nuts, knocks her out, calls Bennet home being he is still at the party

They wrap her up throw her in the car...I assume take her to the woods, she escapes somehow...runs through the woods, Bennet is chasing her (not prego wife) kills her, trunks her and car into the pond?

Benett looks like he has just been covering for his wife?

Still many unanswered questions I am sure.

What was she REALLY doing showing up at Benetts house that late on a FRI night to "drop off a book"

Who was the guy that dissed the aunt, and left the parents stunned he showed up?

Was that the mob guy?

ETA:

Just checked, that was Jasper's dad?

What is up with that and the aunt.

Just as the pictures looks to be very clear, just seems like there are still many plots that need to unfold.

SPOILER ALERT

SO looks like Rosie shows up at Benetts house at, wife goes nuts, knocks her out, calls Bennet home being he is still at the party

They wrap her up throw her in the car...I assume take her to the woods, she escapes somehow...runs through the woods, Bennet is chasing her (not prego wife) kills her, trunks her and car into the pond?

What was she REALLY doing showing up at Benetts house that late on a FRI night to "drop off a book"

Who was the guy that dissed the aunt, and left the parents stunned he showed up?

Was that the mob guy?

ETA:

Just as the pictures looks to be very clear, just seems like there are still many plots that need to unfold.

I'm "assuming" that maybe they had a history... high school sweethearts maybe?? Jasper's dad is mega rich now and doesn't want anything

to do with the trash he associated with before he was rich.

SPOILER ALERT

Was that the mob guy?

ETA:

I'm "assuming" that maybe they had a history... high school sweethearts maybe?? Jasper's dad is mega rich now and doesn't want anything

Yea, that was a weird scene.

Parents just looked stunned he showed up, the aunt looked like she was all ready to make a good impression, he looked like he wanted nothing to do with her and was disgusted with her, due to something in the past

Yea, that was a weird scene.Parents just looked stunned he showed up, the aunt looked like she was all ready to make a good impression, he looked like he wanted nothing to do with her and was disgusted with her, due to something in the past

The woman looking over the mans shoulder gave the aunt the stink eye too.

Meh. I've read and seen Mystic River already.

The pace of this show is running dangerously close to "Rubicon".

Well, looks like we have solid info SPOILER ALERTSO looks like Rosie shows up at Benetts house at, wife goes nuts, knocks her out, calls Bennet home being he is still at the partyThey wrap her up throw her in the car...I assume take her to the woods, she escapes somehow...runs through the woods, Bennet is chasing her (not prego wife) kills her, trunks her and car into the pond?Benett looks like he has just been covering for his wife?Still many unanswered questions I am sure.What was she REALLY doing showing up at Benetts house that late on a FRI night to "drop off a book"Who was the guy that dissed the aunt, and left the parents stunned he showed up?Was that the mob guy?ETA:Just checked, that was Jasper's dad?What is up with that and the aunt.Just as the pictures looks to be very clear, just seems like there are still many plots that need to unfold.

Now we know where Rosie got those expensive shoes. Her aunt was banging Jasper's dad who bought them for her and perhaps Rosie borrowed them.

I don't want to go through the entire thread due to possible spoilers. I DVR'd all of the episodes so far but haven't watched any yet. Overall consensus - Worth it? Or delete?

I don't want to go through the entire thread due to possible spoilers. I DVR'd all of the episodes so far but haven't watched any yet. Overall consensus - Worth it? Or delete?

Definitely.It's not the end all, be all so far... but it's an enjoyable 60 min of TV.

Well, looks like we have solid info SPOILER ALERTSO looks like Rosie shows up at Benetts house at, wife goes nuts, knocks her out, calls Bennet home being he is still at the partyThey wrap her up throw her in the car...I assume take her to the woods, she escapes somehow...runs through the woods, Bennet is chasing her (not prego wife) kills her, trunks her and car into the pond?Benett looks like he has just been covering for his wife?Still many unanswered questions I am sure.What was she REALLY doing showing up at Benetts house that late on a FRI night to "drop off a book"Who was the guy that dissed the aunt, and left the parents stunned he showed up?Was that the mob guy?ETA:Just checked, that was Jasper's dad?What is up with that and the aunt.Just as the pictures looks to be very clear, just seems like there are still many plots that need to unfold.

Now we know where Rosie got those expensive shoes. Her aunt was banging Jasper's dad who bought them for her and perhaps Rosie borrowed them.
Yea, good point.Think that would tied that up.

I am sure I am wrong but something makes me think the partner was involved with the killing

He does seem very shady in every way.

I like his character a lot despite the Swedish accent, or whatever people were arguing it was.

On a side note...

Does it really rain THAT much in the Pacific Northwest?

Exact same thing I said to my wife last night... what is this, day five?? it's rained EVERY SINGLE DAY.
Yes, yes it does. We have had more than our share of 40 + days of rain up here. It's more of a drizzle than a rain, but it's wet and winter/fall for 7 months a year.

My top picks:1. Suicide

Locked herself in a trunk and then rolled the car into a river? :mellow:
WILL YOU GUYS STOP TAKING THIS ####ING BAIT? JESUS.
Bait? At the end of the season you'll be eating a big plate of crow, my friend.
Suicide? Not remotely plausible. Chased herself through a forrest, stole a car, bloodied a shirt and threw it a mile from the lake she would bury herself in. Unlocked the trunk, pushed the car into the lake, jump in the trunk, shut the trunk, tied her hands with rope, then changed her mind and scratched at the trunk until her nails broke and bled? Yeah yeah, I'm with you on that!

Suicide? Not remotely plausible. Chased herself through a forrest, stole a car, bloodied a shirt and threw it a mile from the lake she would bury herself in. Unlocked the trunk, pushed the car into the lake, jump in the trunk, shut the trunk, tied her hands with rope, then changed her mind and scratched at the trunk until her nails broke and bled? Yeah yeah, I'm with you on that!
Wait...is it not remotely plausible or are you "with me on that"?

Ever go to a zoo?You see that sign that says, "Please do not feed the animals"Thanks

I'm thinking that she may have been alive when they put her in the trunk and something happened afterwards, so they could extend this out to 13 episodes...

At the end of this one, they tried calling Ahmed's cell phone, but did they try calling Stanley's?

Ever go to a zoo?You see that sign that says, "Please do not feed the animals"Thanks
:wall: My bad, didn't read the whole thread. I think it's the mayor or someone in his camp.

I'm thinking that she may have been alive when they put her in the trunk and something happened afterwards, so they could extend this out to 13 episodes...

At the end of this one, they tried calling Ahmed's cell phone, but did they try calling Stanley's?

We already know this ... she clawed at the inside of the trunk.

I liked last nights episode a lot.

I really, really hope that it is not the fathers weirdo buddy. The show has potential. Let's hope they dont ruin it.

We already know this ... she clawed at the inside of the trunk.

I'm guessing they stuck her in the trunk, not intending to kill ger, but somebody else finshed her off

SPOILER ALERT

Was that the mob guy?

ETA:

Yea, that was a weird scene.

Parents just looked stunned he showed up, the aunt looked like she was all ready to make a good impression, he looked like he wanted nothing to do with her and was disgusted with her, due to something in the past

I wasn't sure whether they were upset he showed up or upset Jasper wasn't with him.

That's exactly what we were thinking. Unfortunately this show has fallen off very quickly for us. It's just so overloaded with cliches and poor writing/acting that it's become hard to watch. Not sure how much more I can take of it. It still has a high goof-factor and we're having a good time making fun of it as it goes along but that'll only take us so far.Seeing commercials for Breaking Bad reminds me of what quality TV can be.

That's exactly what we were thinking. Unfortunately this show has fallen off very quickly for us. It's just so overloaded with cliches and poor writing/acting that it's become hard to watch. Not sure how much more I can take of it. It still has a high goof-factor and we're having a good time making fun of it as it goes along but that'll only take us so far.Seeing commercials for Breaking Bad reminds me of what quality TV can be.
This is where I'm at. I am trying hard to get into this show but the pace is absolutely killing it for me.

SPOILER ALERT

Was that the mob guy?

ETA:

It's not a spoiler if it's already aired on TV!!!!!!

:brickwall:

SPOILER ALERT

Was that the mob guy?

ETA:

It is if, like me, you DVR it to watch later.. :popcorn:

Luckily I found time to watch the episode last night as usually it is stored until Saturday morning.

SPOILER ALERT

Was that the mob guy?

ETA:

Luckily I found time to watch the episode last night as usually it is stored until Saturday morning.

Then don't come into the thread if you haven't watched teh new episodes.

SPOILER ALERT

Was that the mob guy?

ETA:

Then don't come into the thread if you haven't watched teh new episodes.
Exactly.

The idea of stretching one criminal case (in somewhat real time) over the course of an entire season is a bad idea IMO.

solid show tonight

I thought the first few episodes were great, but the show has been losing steam for me. Darren "doing" Gwen on the desk while she was still wearing pantyhose was a jump the shark type moment.

solid show tonight

I respectfully disagree.... I found it pretty boring... Something needs to happen, quickly.

solid show tonight

I respectfully disagree.... I found it pretty boring... Something needs to happen, quickly.
Just hold on. The flock of rabid kittens are coming up next week.

solid show tonight

NPLove Rosie's father's charachter. Does Bennett's "I'm going to be a father speech" work, or was he just trying to scare Bennett. That first scene was pretty tense.Introducing "Mohammad" should be an interesting plot. Something's obviously still doesn't sit right with me with both of the councilman's assistants.