What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

High Blood Pressure (1 Viewer)

TylerRoseFan

Footballguy
I haven't been to the doctor in years. I've always been athletic and healthy. I'm 42 now and decided to visit the doctor. Over the last 6 months I've been drinking too much, eating pure crap, and gaining weight. So I go and my blood pressure is 145/105. I about crapped my pants. The doctor and I discussed meds. I am in no way interested in them right now. I've been using my body as a playground and need to get back into doing the right things...at least more of the right things. So I'm going to cut back on drinking, cut out the salt, eat more veggies and crap, and start running again.

The dr. wants me to monitor my bp 2 times a day. I have to buy a blood pressure monitor kit. My question is, what type of bp monitor kit do you recommend. I know they range from the hand pump w/ the stethoscope to a fully automated machine. Which do you recommend and why? I am inclined to do the automated one, but I'm not sure how reliable the auto ones are. Do any of you have any experience with one?

No meds yet?
No. I want to avoid them. I think my lifestyle has caused it and I'm fixing those things. If, after a month I still have problems, then I'll go on meds.
Can your BP get that high all in a matter of 6 months?
Dunno. Also, I had like 3 diet cokes this morning before they took it. I know the caffeine didn't help. I don't know if that was a factor or not. I would just rather try and manage my lifestyle through diet and exercise instead of immediately going to medication.

I got this one My link It must be harder to get now (EOL) cuz it wasn't that expensive. The "newer version" is more like what I paid. It's very accurate. Had the nurse take my bp the conventional way and then checked it with mine. The same result. I've finally started exercising some. Still not eating as well as I should. On medication that I take every now and then. Kind of had to...I was up around 175/120 when I was at the docs office.

I have the same brand that 3C linked, but got it at Rite Aid on sale for like $50.

You show give up caffeine, cutting back on sodium, lose weight, increase exercise, and meditate.

I have the same brand that 3C linked, but got it at Rite Aid on sale for like $50.You show give up caffeine, cutting back on sodium, lose weight, increase exercise, and meditate.
Yep. I've run a few marathons, but have let life get in the way of health. Time to turn it around.

I haven't been to the doctor in years. I've always been athletic and healthy. I'm 42 now and decided to visit the doctor. Over the last 6 months I've been drinking too much, eating pure crap, and gaining weight. So I go and my blood pressure is 145/105. I about crapped my pants. The doctor and I discussed meds. I am in no way interested in them right now. I've been using my body as a playground and need to get back into doing the right things...at least more of the right things. So I'm going to cut back on drinking, cut out the salt, eat more veggies and crap, and start running again.The dr. wants me to monitor my bp 2 times a day. I have to buy a blood pressure monitor kit. My question is, what type of bp monitor kit do you recommend. I know they range from the hand pump w/ the stethoscope to a fully automated machine. Which do you recommend and why? I am inclined to do the automated one, but I'm not sure how reliable the auto ones are. Do any of you have any experience with one?
Get a digital monitor, there's no sense messing around with a stethoscope. You said in a later post that you had a lot of caffeine before the appointment, that can significantly effect your reading. Really if you are an otherwise healthy person you're not too far off your goal of 140/90. Do all the things you talked about and give it 3 months to see if you can bring it down.

Omron is a very reputable brand. Stick with the arm cuff as opposed to the wrist cuff, they are much more accurate. $60 should be enough.

I haven't been to the doctor in years. I've always been athletic and healthy. I'm 42 now and decided to visit the doctor. Over the last 6 months I've been drinking too much, eating pure crap, and gaining weight. So I go and my blood pressure is 145/105. I about crapped my pants. The doctor and I discussed meds. I am in no way interested in them right now. I've been using my body as a playground and need to get back into doing the right things...at least more of the right things. So I'm going to cut back on drinking, cut out the salt, eat more veggies and crap, and start running again.The dr. wants me to monitor my bp 2 times a day. I have to buy a blood pressure monitor kit. My question is, what type of bp monitor kit do you recommend. I know they range from the hand pump w/ the stethoscope to a fully automated machine. Which do you recommend and why? I am inclined to do the automated one, but I'm not sure how reliable the auto ones are. Do any of you have any experience with one?
Get a digital monitor, there's no sense messing around with a stethoscope. You said in a later post that you had a lot of caffeine before the appointment, that can significantly effect your reading. Really if you are an otherwise healthy person you're not too far off your goal of 140/90. Do all the things you talked about and give it 3 months to see if you can bring it down.
140/90 should not be your goal.

Also, simply seeing a doctor for the first time in several years can get people psyched up.

No meds yet?
No. I want to avoid them. I think my lifestyle has caused it and I'm fixing those things. If, after a month I still have problems, then I'll go on meds.
For most people, hypertension meds are a lifetime commitment. So it is wise to initially try improvements in your lifestyle, especially since you admit to slacking off. If your doctor clears you for exercise, I'd recommend walking and getting in better shape again, before you try running. How is your lipid profile?

I'm pissed!! Getting old is teh suck!

I was diagnosed with pre-hypertension last year. Dr. prescribed 10mg Lisinopril and that stabilized my BP. I constantly watch what I eat, exercise regularly, avoid salt. All the things your supposed to do, right? My K level was elevated during the last blood work so Dr. changed from Lisinopril to Losartin 50Mg. I didn't notice any changes. My BP remained normal as does my lifestyle but last week I started to get palpitations and a general hypertensive feeling. The only change I've made is that I stopped smoking weed 3 weeks ago. I have interviewed for a new job and expect to have to take a piss test if offered the position.

I went to urgent care yesterday because the palpitations came on real strong and I felt like my circulation was "off." My BP was 152/114 :o I was given .2Mg Clonidine which brought the BP down to 128/95. I contacted my Dr. who suggested that I double up on the Losartin and prescribed Hydrochlrothiazide 25Mg which I did take this am. I am still feeling "off" and have had to piss every 20-30 mins (a side effect that he mentioned :confetti:)

I am normally an pretty low stress person, my job can get a little nutty at times but not right now. Hell, I even finished all of my Christmas shopping early for a change. The only thing stressing me out right now is that I don't know why the sudden change in BP. I'd like to think it's the lack of THC but don't believe that is the sole reason for the elevated BP. I have an appointment with my Dr. next week to get an EKG done and review my BP's from this week and hopefully figure out a solution that doesn't include a medication that gives me erectile dysfunction. Did I mention getting old is teh suck?

Kinda thought there would be more discussion on this topic. :shrug:

I haven't been to the doctor in years. I've always been athletic and healthy. I'm 42 now and decided to visit the doctor. Over the last 6 months I've been drinking too much, eating pure crap, and gaining weight. So I go and my blood pressure is 145/105. I about crapped my pants. The doctor and I discussed meds. I am in no way interested in them right now. I've been using my body as a playground and need to get back into doing the right things...at least more of the right things. So I'm going to cut back on drinking, cut out the salt, eat more veggies and crap, and start running again. The dr. wants me to monitor my bp 2 times a day. I have to buy a blood pressure monitor kit. My question is, what type of bp monitor kit do you recommend. I know they range from the hand pump w/ the stethoscope to a fully automated machine. Which do you recommend and why? I am inclined to do the automated one, but I'm not sure how reliable the auto ones are. Do any of you have any experience with one?
Also, simply seeing a doctor for the first time in several years can get people psyched up.
While this is true, that should only affect the top number. If your bottom number is high (and 105 is very high) that's not due to white coat syndrome.

I'm pissed!! Getting old is teh suck!

I was diagnosed with pre-hypertension last year. Dr. prescribed 10mg Lisinopril and that stabilized my BP. I constantly watch what I eat, exercise regularly, avoid salt. All the things your supposed to do, right? My K level was elevated during the last blood work so Dr. changed from Lisinopril to Losartin 50Mg. I didn't notice any changes. My BP remained normal as does my lifestyle but last week I started to get palpitations and a general hypertensive feeling. The only change I've made is that I stopped smoking weed 3 weeks ago. I have interviewed for a new job and expect to have to take a piss test if offered the position.

I went to urgent care yesterday because the palpitations came on real strong and I felt like my circulation was "off." My BP was 152/114 :o I was given .2Mg Clonidine which brought the BP down to 128/95. I contacted my Dr. who suggested that I double up on the Losartin and prescribed Hydrochlrothiazide 25Mg which I did take this am. I am still feeling "off" and have had to piss every 20-30 mins (a side effect that he mentioned :confetti:)

I am normally an pretty low stress person, my job can get a little nutty at times but not right now. Hell, I even finished all of my Christmas shopping early for a change. The only thing stressing me out right now is that I don't know why the sudden change in BP. I'd like to think it's the lack of THC but don't believe that is the sole reason for the elevated BP. I have an appointment with my Dr. next week to get an EKG done and review my BP's from this week and hopefully figure out a solution that doesn't include a medication that gives me erectile dysfunction. Did I mention getting old is teh suck?

Kinda thought there would be more discussion on this topic. :shrug:
152/114?! That's nothing, see my post above. ;) Good luck and hope you get it all under control.

Been on meds now for a few years. Just can't get BP under control on my own. Course, if I stopped drinking, quit legal weed, ate like a rabbit and exercised with any regularity, perhaps the weight would go away and I'd be able to have normal BP. But I don't.....so I take pills and they keep my BP around 120/80 every day. :shrug:

#fat

#lazy

#drunk

Been on meds now for a few years. Just can't get BP under control on my own. Course, if I stopped drinking, quit legal weed, ate like a rabbit and exercised with any regularity, perhaps the weight would go away and I'd be able to have normal BP. But I don't.....so I take pills and they keep my BP around 120/80 every day. :shrug:

#fat

#lazy

#drunk
I've hit that trifecta over the last 9 months and it hasn't helped my BP for sure. Two bad things, bought a kegerator and mostly stopped exercising. Not good...

#fat

#lazy

#drunk
What would be the point of living then? :confused:

Posted in another thread.

My wife is battling with high blood pressure, mostly stress related as I said it would be right away :)

She was at one point in the 150/110 range. She's a gym rat and in great shape and eats well. Her BP starts high on Monday and gradually goes down as the week progresses. She's added stretch and yoga classes, started taking flaxseed meal and CoQ10 and is now down around the 135/85 range.

#fat

#lazy

#drunk
It's a tradeoff because later in life you might be battling issues that come up due to the prescriptions.

#fat

#lazy

#drunk
I always ask myself that when I see older people shopping for prune juice at Rite Aid when I'm shopping for booze.

#fat

#lazy

#drunk
It's a tradeoff because later in life you might be battling issues that come up due to the prescriptions.
Buzz Killington, everyone!

#fat

#lazy

#drunk
I've hit that trifecta over the last 9 months and it hasn't helped my BP for sure. Two bad things, bought a kegerator and mostly stopped exercising. Not good...
I ran a 10K in October and felt really good afterwards. Was eating well, dropped a few pounds.

I haven't so much as jogged since. :bag:

I haven't been to the doctor in years. I've always been athletic and healthy. I'm 42 now and decided to visit the doctor. Over the last 6 months I've been drinking too much, eating pure crap, and gaining weight. So I go and my blood pressure is 145/105. I about crapped my pants. The doctor and I discussed meds. I am in no way interested in them right now. I've been using my body as a playground and need to get back into doing the right things...at least more of the right things. So I'm going to cut back on drinking, cut out the salt, eat more veggies and crap, and start running again. The dr. wants me to monitor my bp 2 times a day. I have to buy a blood pressure monitor kit. My question is, what type of bp monitor kit do you recommend. I know they range from the hand pump w/ the stethoscope to a fully automated machine. Which do you recommend and why? I am inclined to do the automated one, but I'm not sure how reliable the auto ones are. Do any of you have any experience with one?
I think you are right on target except for the eating of crap..that seems like a bad idea.

Anyone ever start meds and then been able to go off of them? My doc wants me to start on them, but I really hate the idea of becoming dependent on it. Probably a losing battle due to my genetics, but I really want to try getting more serious with lifestyle at least for a few months.

Anyone ever start meds and then been able to go off of them? My doc wants me to start on them, but I really hate the idea of becoming dependent on it. Probably a losing battle due to my genetics, but I really want to try getting more serious with lifestyle at least for a few months.
I was the same way, but I don't even think twice about taking my pills each morning as I get to work.

#fat

#lazy

#drunk
I ran a 10K in October and felt really good afterwards. Was eating well, dropped a few pounds.

I haven't so much as jogged since. :bag:
Only place I'm running is to the keg for another beer. :banned: One bad hip and the other one is worse. Poor excuse though for not dropping back down to where I was a year ago.

Yeah I'm only 36 and I have high BP (although I think a lot of it might be white coat). For some reason, my BP is crazy high when I visit a doctor but when I get it tested at CVS, it's usually around 120/80. Anyways, I was put on meds for the past year. I'm not the healthiest person in the world (I drink way too much, eat ok but not great and exercise a decent bit) so I'm not surprised. I have a New Years resolution coming up to become healthier :popcorn:

I have a bad family history with cholesterol and even at my peak shape in HS (swam 3-5 miles a day 6 days a week) had cholesterol levels near 200. About 10 years ago, my doctor convinced me to take meds as my levels were near 300. I did and at our next visit, I got a reading of 165, so the meds were working. I was also exercising regularly and at a good weight. So I went off them without doctor's orders. I kept the weight off (got a divorce and lost a ton of weight under the "I'm so miserable I can't eat diet") started training for a half marathon and thought I was doing just fine.

Well, I wasn't fine. I went in for a LONG overdue check up and though I was at a decent weight and eating pretty well (dating a woman who was a vegetarian meant a lot less meat in my diet), my levels were high again. Doctor put me right back on the meds and I've been on them ever since.

I realize long term side effects might kill me, but my cholesterol and BP are in normal ranges. The pills do their jobs. And if the side effects don't kill me, I'm sure one of my wives will.

Not sure about BP meds but I was on Lipitor and am now off them

Yeah I'm only 36 and I have high BP (although I think a lot of it might be white coat). For some reason, my BP is crazy high when I visit a doctor but when I get it tested at CVS, it's usually around 120/80. Anyways, I was put on meds for the past year. I'm not the healthiest person in the world (I drink way too much, eat ok but not great and exercise a decent bit) so I'm not surprised. I have a New Years resolution coming up to become healthier :popcorn:
That's ridiculous to go on meds when you can get in the normal range.

#fat

#lazy

#drunk
Buzz Killington, everyone!
:shrug:

I don't want to regret it later on in life. Doctors are way overprescribing meds.

Yeah I know. I'm going to monitor it for the first 3-6 months next year after I make significant lifestyle changes. Then if I feel that it's truly under control, I'm just going to take myself off the meds. My doctor does not want to take me off. In all honesty, the meds don't really impact me in any way. I don't mind taking a pill everyday, it's a small dose and I have no adverse effects.

Yeah I know. I'm going to monitor it for the first 3-6 months next year after I make significant lifestyle changes. Then if I feel that it's truly under control, I'm just going to take myself off the meds. My doctor does not want to take me off. In all honesty, the meds don't really impact me in any way. I don't mind taking a pill everyday, it's a small dose and I have no adverse effects.
Listen to your doctor and not a guy from the internet.

I went to my doctor for a stomach issue this summer and my BP was 130/85 which he said was borderline high and any higher would be an issue. He recommended I come back in a month for a comprehensive physical, I hadn't had one in a few years. He said in the meantime I watch my salt intake and continue to exercise, eat right and so on. I cut out all my salty, crunchy snacks and drank less often and less when I drank. When i went in for that visit in the summer, it was a tuesday and i had really went overboard with beer that saturday night before.

I finally went back for my physical a few weeks back and the blood pressure was 117/78. I hadn't had any beer for about a week and a half before the physical and I had tried to keep my salt intake down. i had been eating more fruits as well. I know I am lucky and so much of it is genetic when it comes to this stuff. I would say you have to be honest with yourself in terms of your weight, your diet and your alcohol intake. I have friends who are completely in denial about their weight. They think they are not so bad but they are obese by just about any medical definition. As you get older you have to be honest about the alcohol intake as well. I believe alcohol has such a big effect on tests like blood pressure and cholesterol if you drink a lot within the week that you go to the doctor. I realize that some people have to be on medication because of genetics but there are others who if they are honest with themselves about their weight, eating, drinking and make the proper changes that they can control it without medication.

Definitely.

Or maybe get a second opinion from another doctor. I left my doctor because he was just a pill pusher. I found one that works with me to try and bring down levels using natural methods before relying on meds. You don't have to just believe what they tell you.

Definitely.

Or maybe get a second opinion from another doctor. I left my doctor because he was just a pill pusher. I found one that works with me to try and bring down levels using natural methods before relying on meds. You don't have to just believe what they tell you.
I agree. I'm in the healthcare field. Another thing I forgot to mention is that the meds are free since I work for a pharmaceutical company that manufactures the drug. I guess I want to still implement my lifestyle changes before going back for a 2nd opinion. Believe me--it's in my plan for next year. Having a new baby changes a lot........

Definitely.

I agree. I'm in the healthcare field. Another thing I forgot to mention is that the meds are free since I work for a pharmaceutical company that manufactures the drug. I guess I want to still implement my lifestyle changes before going back for a 2nd opinion. Believe me--it's in my plan for next year. Having a new baby changes a lot........
Good for you and good luck :thumbup:

If it hasn't been mentioned, if you have high blood pressure you must cut out soda. My doctor asked how much I drink but I don't drink any. Cutting out soda completely is going to be the easiest way to lower your weight some and if you drink it every day it is going to make a big difference to get rid of it all together. Soda is just empty liquid calories and depending on how much you drink it could be having a huge effect on your overall health.

My cousin has been overweight for as long as I can remember and is on at least a couple different medications that he has mentioned. Whenever we see him someone in the family remarks how good he looks. He always says how he is eating right and exercising. I think he believes it. My family does him no favors by telling him he looks in good shape because he tucks his shirt in and pulls his pants up over his gut. I think he believes eating right means getting the chinese food dish that has broccoli in it or occasionally walking down the street for his lunch at the pizza place instead of driving. He drinks about 2 liters of root beer per day. I think there are a lot of people like him who honestly believe they are trying to be healthy are actually think they are in good health but are in complete denial. There are some guys who are 6 foot tall, weigh 180 pounds, eat well and exercise but have high BP or other problems. Those people are few and far between in my opinion.

TheIronSheik said:
General Malaise said:

#fat

#lazy

#drunk
I can see the writing on the wall, a life devoid of things that I love. Muther####

:ptts:

Meds aren't good. If all it takes is a little exercise and better diet to get off of doctor prescribed meds, jeez, why the hell not just go that route?

Meds aren't good. If all it takes is a little exercise and better diet to get off of doctor prescribed meds, jeez, why the hell not just go that route?
Why aren't meds good? When did we become a nation afraid to utilize our advanced knowledge in medicine?

Why aren't meds good? When did we become a nation afraid to utilize our advanced knowledge in medicine?
I don't get that meds are bad. If someone is already doing everything they can by eating right, exercising, avoiding food and booze and still have elevated bp, a pill can go along way towards causing more long term problems.

No meds yet?
Can your BP get that high all in a matter of 6 months?
Dunno. Also, I had like 3 diet cokes this morning before they took it. I know the caffeine didn't help. I don't know if that was a factor or not. I would just rather try and manage my lifestyle through diet and exercise instead of immediately going to medication.
The caffeine didn't help, but the super high sodium and aspartame are a bigger concern.

Because the pills themselves can cause other problems. They can save lives for sure but he is saying if you had a choice, the choice would be to avoid them. just read the warnings on those statins, something that many millions of people are taking. I don't think it takes a little exercise and a better diet, i think it takes a lot of exercise and a much, much better diet. That can be hard for people and it gets harder the older you get but so many are in complete denial about how unhealthy their choices are or they just don't know what is healthy and what isn't.

I recently lost 30 lbs and my BP dropped from 135/85 to 115/75. I know everyone will find this shocking, but losing weight really helps.

My BP was always on the high side of normal, but hypertension creeped in over the years. I went out of my way not to go on medication and my Dr. agreed with a wait and see approach. I started to get more exercise and lost a lot of weight, but it was still high. My BP has finally gone down to normal, but it has taken a lot of time without medication. For me, it was everything, but I think the most important element is being able to relax. Pretty hard to do IMO. My advice to anyone who has high BP is to try to manage it with diet, exercise, and relaxation. If you try for a while and doesn't work, then go on medication. It is serious business and a precursor to all kinds of really bad things.

I've been on BP meds since I was in my 20's (I'm in my 50's now). At the time I was in great shape but ate all kinds of crap. I put on about 40 lbs between the ages of 30-50. I always figured my high BP was mostly genetic since it started when I was so young and seemingly in great shape. Every male on my fathers side that I know of has it. When my current GF moved in with me about 5 years ago I was on 20mg Lisinopril. Since she has been cooking healthy food for me I have lost 30 lbs and I have reduced my dosage from 20mg to 10 mg to now 2.5 mg. I don't know if I will be able to get completely off the meds but it is amazing how much of a difference diet makes.

If it hasn't been mentioned, if you have high blood pressure you must cut out soda. My doctor asked how much I drink but I don't drink any. Cutting out soda completely is going to be the easiest way to lower your weight some and if you drink it every day it is going to make a big difference to get rid of it all together. Soda is just empty liquid calories and depending on how much you drink it could be having a huge effect on your overall health.

My cousin has been overweight for as long as I can remember and is on at least a couple different medications that he has mentioned. Whenever we see him someone in the family remarks how good he looks. He always says how he is eating right and exercising. I think he believes it. My family does him no favors by telling him he looks in good shape because he tucks his shirt in and pulls his pants up over his gut. I think he believes eating right means getting the chinese food dish that has broccoli in it or occasionally walking down the street for his lunch at the pizza place instead of driving. He drinks about 2 liters of root beer per day. I think there are a lot of people like him who honestly believe they are trying to be healthy are actually think they are in good health but are in complete denial. There are some guys who are 6 foot tall, weigh 180 pounds, eat well and exercise but have high BP or other problems. Those people are few and far between in my opinion.
:goodposting:

Diet soda is the way to go

Users who are viewing this thread