What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Death Penalty (1 Viewer)

Despite public executions in many parts of the world they still have people to kill most every week. So I'd say that wasn't much of a deterrent either.

The death penalty has never failed. That person is dead. They won't be coming back. Used correctly, the death penalty is the perfect deterrent. Kill? ok, you die too. Not next year, Not next decade. How about tomorrow.

The death penalty has never failed. That person is dead. They won't be coming back. Used correctly, the death penalty is the perfect deterrent. Kill? ok, you die too. Not next year, Not next decade. How about tomorrow.
States with the death penalty have higher rates of death penalty crimes than even states they share a border with. It doesn't work and it doesn't matter how fast you throw the switch. Texas never runs out of people to execute.

Yeah!! To hell with due process!!!

I don't think you know what a deterrent is.

I'm mainly sick of hearing such and such got a stay of execution for some procedural reason. Waste of bandwidth. You never hear about lifers even when they get shanked in the liver.

I mean does anyone ever think California is going to kill Scott Peterson? Hell no. Why waste all the lawyers?

If the death penalty is removed, how about making every Friday 'Free Weapon Day' in jail and the guards get the day off.

See, now I think we're missing a golden opportunity as a society. I think executions should be shown on PPV, with revenue going towards victim's families. I also think we should raffle off chances to kill the dirt bags with money again going towards the victim's families. Think about how many raffle tickets would have been sold for a chance to kill Tim McVeigh...it would have fetched a ton of money. Hell, I would have killed the guy myself and not thought twice about it.

I don't think we're doing enough with the death penalty. Frankly, I'd like to see it extended to people who rape and torture children.

I didn't realize that we thought of it as a deterrent. I was under the impression it was supposed to be a punishment. :shrug:

States with the death penalty have higher rates of death penalty crimes than even states they share a border with. It doesn't work and it doesn't matter how fast you throw the switch. Texas never runs out of people to execute.
They will run out if they were processing correctly.

I could whip thru a lot of these cases within a week using common sense. 'oh look, that video shows you killng that other person. I don't need a year to now kill you. I also don't need to negotiate a plea deal.

Last edited by a moderator:
I could whip thru a lot of these cases within a week using common sense.

'oh look, that video shows you killng that other person. I don't need a year to now kill you. I also don't need to negotiate a plea deal.
I bet you couldn't.

You should turn this thread into a poll asking if people would watch an execution.
They could do pay-per-view.
I'd watch a few of these dirtbags die. Those two guys that raped and burned up the doctor's family in Conn? I'd pay to watch them die a horrible death.
That's the problem IMO, they don't die a horrible death. I think the punishment should be the exact same as they did to their victims.

I didn't realize that we thought of it as a deterrent. I was under the impression it was supposed to be a punishment. :shrug:
It's revenge pure and simple.
I, for one, am 100% okay with that.
Same here though the system that determines guilt needs to be revamped quite a bit first. However, I see no reason why people like the aforementioned guys in the rape/burning or the DC snipers et al being killed immediately.

I could whip thru a lot of these cases within a week using common sense. 'oh look, that video shows you killng that other person. I don't need a year to now kill you. I also don't need to negotiate a plea deal.
Great. What about the other 99.5% of cases?

I don't think you know what a deterrent is.
Some texts actually split deterrence into "general" and "specific." He's speaking of the latter (also called "incapacitation") so technically he is right.

You should turn this thread into a poll asking if people would watch an execution.
I'd watch a few of these dirtbags die. Those two guys that raped and burned up the doctor's family in Conn? I'd pay to watch them die a horrible death.
I am curious what you think you would get out of it.
Satisfaction?
Knowledge that taxpayer dollars aren't going to feed, clothe and house a multiple murderer?

I'm a supporter of the death penalty, but in no way as a deterrent.

It is simply about justice. To end a person's life with intent and malice without a real threat to them of others is an act worthy of death. For the victim, for the victim's family and friends, and for the rest of society is who the death penalty is for, not the murderer.

Life in prison is often worse than death, IMO.

Of course, a lot of my stance is based on a belief in the afterlife and that putting a criminal to death isn't their final judgement, just the results of their decisions in this life.

I'm mainly sick of hearing such and such got a stay of execution for some procedural reason. Waste of bandwidth. You never hear about lifers even when they get shanked in the liver. I mean does anyone ever think California is going to kill Scott Peterson? Hell no. Why waste all the lawyers?
You should think about slang uses for the term waste hahaETA: and put "not" in front of it

Satisfaction?
With what would you be satisfied?The victims are still dead, the families are still suffering and and the perpetrators were already off the streets.Nothing was accomplished except more death.

Satisfaction?
Knowledge that taxpayer dollars aren't going to feed, clothe and house a multiple murderer?
I am not convinced that life in prison is lesser punishment than dying.And it's not the multiple murderers/death row inmates that are eating up the majority our prison tax dollars. It's all the non-violent drug offenders that our justice keeps cramming into our overcrowded prisons. Reforming mandatory sentencing guidelines for non-violent drug offenders would be a much better way to save your tax dollars.

Well it's a sign of an immature society but beyond that we get it wrong too often.
Both the Chinese and Persian cultures are much older than ours yet they're among the top societies to use capital punishment. Does that alone make them more immature societies?Statistically, capital punishment is most prominent in Asian and Arab nations and least prominent in European nations. So what are you trying to say about those societies in relation to each other?

:thumbup:

Satisfaction?
Costs twice as much to kill them as it does for them to serve life without parole.

Satisfaction?
Costs twice as much to kill them as it does for them to serve life without parole.
It wouldn't if we just shot them.

Well it's a sign of an immature society but beyond that we get it wrong too often.
Both the Chinese and Persian cultures are much older than ours yet they're among the top societies to use capital punishment. Does that alone make them more immature societies?Statistically, capital punishment is most prominent in Asian and Arab nations and least prominent in European nations. So what are you trying to say about those societies in relation to each other?

That societies that practice revenge on their citizens have some growing up to do. I thought that was clear. Especially when, at least in our case, we seem somewhat predisposed to killing the wrong guy.

That societies that practice revenge on their citizens have some growing up to do. I thought that was clear. Especially when, at least in our case, we seem somewhat predisposed to killing the wrong guy.
And what if those other nations don't look at it as revenge, but instead look at it as a useful deterrent? Seems to work for Singapore.

And what if those other nations don't look at it as revenge, but instead look at it as a useful deterrent? Seems to work for Singapore.
Really? They give you the death penalty for drug use. They still have addicts. They still have people to kill every year. In fact based on their size they are a killing machine and yet they still have more to kill. Not seeing the success here.

If there's no chance of parole and the inmate has to do (very hellish) hard labor than I maybe ok with doing away with the death penalty...for many of these creeps actually working is worse than death...other-than-that the best way to not have the death penalty is to not kill an innocent victim and destroy that person's life along with those who love him...it's a pretty simple formula and whether it's a deterrent or not the rule is in-place before the the knife is plunged or the trigger is pulled.

Really? They give you the death penalty for drug use. They still have addicts. They still have people to kill every year. In fact based on their size they are a killing machine and yet they still have more to kill. Not seeing the success here.
Here you go...Wiki opening sentence: "The crime rate in Singapore is one of the lowest in the world."

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_Singapore

"You're entitled to your own opinion, but not your own facts." -- Unknown

Hopefully some nice toasted marshmallows.

Here you go...Wiki opening sentence: "The crime rate in Singapore is one of the lowest in the world."

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_Singapore

"You're entitled to your own opinion, but not your own facts." -- Unknown
They under report. It's well known they have a serious drug problem despite the executions. And they do execute. Several hundred in the last decade. I wouldn't take official figures as gospel.

Satisfaction?
With what would you be satisfied?The victims are still dead, the families are still suffering and and the perpetrators were already off the streets.

Nothing was accomplished except more death.
Yes, I'm good with that. I want that. I want that yesterday in certain cases, like this one. And I want it done medieval style too. When a pit-bull attacks and kills a baby, we put the dog down immediately. When a man rapes a little girl, pours gas on her and lights her on fire, we give the killer a lengthy trial, appeals and a few more years to live the very life he snuffed through his own heinous actions. I'd prefer he get the same treatment as the pit-bull, only I'd like him to die a savage and painful death. What does that say about me? I don't know. I don't really care. I just happen to like the death penalty and wish it was extended to include child rapers. And I wish in cases where guilt was not in question, that the death was carried out immediately and harshly.

Satisfaction?
I am not convinced that life in prison is lesser punishment than dying.And it's not the multiple murderers/death row inmates that are eating up the majority our prison tax dollars. It's all the non-violent drug offenders that our justice keeps cramming into our overcrowded prisons. Reforming mandatory sentencing guidelines for non-violent drug offenders would be a much better way to save your tax dollars.
I pretty much agree with all you say but still see no reason to continue to pay for a murderer to live. I agree a hundredfold about drug offenders (mostly mj) but see no reason why both can't be done. It's also argued that executing a prisoner is more expensive. Dunno about that but I'd be happier with my tax dollars going towards removing from the Earth people who've taken others from it than to keep them alive.

Users who are viewing this thread