What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Death Penalty (1 Viewer)

No I don't believe it is a deterrent......A nut job killer isn't thinking about the consequences. I like it as an after the fact punishment and a money saver. I don't want my tax dollars feeding and housing a child killer or killer of the innocent... If a father kills the killer of his child, I'm ok with helping him out.
Except it doesn't save money.
It does if they are put to death quickly like they should be.

That wasn't the question, though. The question, in THAT post, was whether or not the death penalty works as a deterrent. The question of whether or not certain criminals deserve the death penalty is a separate one.

My own thoughts on these two questions is as follows:

1. The death penalty is NOT a deterrent. Although this is a subjective opinion on my part, it is in part based on study after study after study, many of which can be found here:

http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/facts-about-deterrence-and-death-penalty

Also from that site:

A recent survey of the most leading criminologists in the country from found that the overwhelming majority did not believe that the death penalty is a proven deterrent to homicide. Eighty-eight percent of the country’s top criminologists do not believe the death penalty acts as a deterrent to homicide, according to a new study published in the Journal of Criminal Law and Criminology and authored by Professor Michael Radelet, Chair of the Department of Sociology at the University of Colorado-Boulder, and Traci Lacock, also at Boulder.

Similarly, 87% of the expert criminologists believe that abolition of the death penalty would not have any significant effect on murder rates. In addition, 75% of the respondents agree that “debates about the death penalty distract Congress and state legislatures from focusing on real solutions to crime problems.”

The survey relied on questionnaires completed by the most pre-eminent criminologists in the country, including Fellows in the American Society of Criminology; winners of the American Society of Criminology’s prestigious Southerland Award; and recent presidents of the American Society of Criminology. Respondents were not asked for their personal opinion about the death penalty, but instead to answer on the basis of their understandings of the empirical research.

The evidence and opinions on this are so overwhelming that, IMO, if you still believe the death penalty IS a deterrent, the burden of proof is on you.

2. The question of whether or not certain criminals deserve the death penalty is one that I honestly go back and forth on. I think it really is the key question regarding this issue- deterrence is largely irrelevant compared to this question. There is no way to empirically argue what people "deserve." Its not a question of evidence, but of moral judgment. It's my moral judgment that the state should not be taking the lives of its citizens, no matter how vile those lives are. But that is NOT a firm moral judgment; as I wrote, I've gone back and forth on this, and I respect those that disagree with me on this question.
I'd say it acts as a hell of a deterrent. Show me one murderer who has been executed who has ever committed a murder again. And I don't need no stinkin' studies to know that.

No I don't believe it is a deterrent......A nut job killer isn't thinking about the consequences. I like it as an after the fact punishment and a money saver. I don't want my tax dollars feeding and housing a child killer or killer of the innocent... If a father kills the killer of his child, I'm ok with helping him out.
If the death penalty is actually the morally appropriate punishments we shouldn't be concerned about cost. Whether those cost are the dollars to the tax payers or putting victims and their families through a decade and a half of revisiting the crime. A rush to judgment - no matter how much it appears to be a slam dunk is never morally appropriate even if we gets lucky with the results most all of the time.

It does save money.

It's the court system that is expensive, and that's an entirely different argument.

Regarding the money issue- it's always going to cost more money to execute, and this is how it should be. I'm opposed to the death penalty, but if we're going to have it, there should be every appeal available to the criminal, no matter how long they last. If we're going to do this, it has to be done right.

Datonn, regarding "closure" for the victim's family, BFS touched on a key point- is the "closure" regarding the murder, or is the "closure" regarding the endless appeal process? I say it's the latter, and if you eliminate the death penalty, there will be no question of closure, because there will be no uncertainty to begin with.

I'd say it acts as a hell of a deterrent. Show me one murderer who has been executed who has ever committed a murder again. And I don't need no stinkin' studies to know that.
This one count?
:lol:

Strike's argument, that the death penalty is necessary in order to keep murderers from killing other prisoners, is completely new to me, and I've been following this issue for years. I find it a bizarre justification.

This one count?
:lol:

Strike's argument, that the death penalty is necessary in order to keep murderers from killing other prisoners, is completely new to me, and I've been following this issue for years. I find it a bizarre justification.
I have heard it at least since the '70s, I believe I first heard it from this guy on local TV.

While it is uncomfortable for me as a Christian to use Jesus as an example of a murderer who killed after being executed as that is counter to my own beliefs, I believe that Jesus and early christianity is the perfect example of the failure of the death penalty to stop and deter behavior. From a Roman perspective the "silencing of Jesus" created a revolution that would not have happened without the "deterrence" of capital punishment.

I , for one, call BS on those who claim this to not be a big govt issue.

Big govt is both the literal size of the govt along with its scope of power and responsibilities. The two certainly being linked.

Personally, I don't trust govt in general. Because it's run by people who self select to positions of power with a lack of accountability. As such, I'm wary when the govt both grows in size and bureaucracy.

I am far more concerned when the govt grows in its range of power over the freedom of its / at the expense of the freedom of its citizens ( which, usually increased said size and bureaucracy . Too somehow be against big govt but want for govt to both be allowed to kill its citizens and build the bureaucracy and mechanics to do so? It's honestly preposterous to me.

A lot of people obviously identify as such but I really can't reconcile small govt but yes executions
:lmao:
Your response doesn't exactly add to the dialogue. Just going to discount my points and/or avoid them?

If the death penalty is actually the morally appropriate punishments we shouldn't be concerned about cost. Whether those cost are the dollars to the tax payers or putting victims and their families through a decade and a half of revisiting the crime. A rush to judgment - no matter how much it appears to be a slam dunk is never morally appropriate even if we gets lucky with the results most all of the time.
Would we be rushing to judgment on the Colorado Movie Theater Killer.....or any other killer who were seen committing the crime. Those murderers should be brought out back and put to death immediately. Why even bring those to court. The defense should simply say "my client is guilty and deserves the death penalty your honor...the defense rests".

Would we be rushing to judgment on the Colorado Movie Theater Killer.....or any other killer who were seen committing the crime. Those murderers should be brought out back and put to death immediately. Why even bring those to court. The defense should simply say "my client is guilty and deserves the death penalty your honor...the defense rests".
Here comes the part where they say that eye witness testimony is not 100% therefore it is useless.

Several people have answered yes to my question about mental illness. My answer is no. But then, my answer would be no even without mental illness. I believe in redemption.

timschochet said:
Several people have answered yes to my question about mental illness. My answer is no. But then, my answer would be no even without mental illness. I believe in redemption.
You truly believe these psycho killers can redeem themselves...?

timschochet said:
:confused: I thought you were an atheist.

timschochet said:
Does redemption require God or an afterlife? I don't think so. I believe in the principle, without the details that you believe in. People can change from evil to good. I have read about murderers, some on death row, who have regretted their lives and become decent people, doing good work in prison. Most of them should never be let out of prison. But there is no purpose in putting them to death, either.

timschochet said:
Does redemption require God or an afterlife? I don't think so. I believe in the principle, without the details that you believe in. People can change from evil to good.I have read about murderers, some on death row, who have regretted their lives and become decent people, doing good work in prison. Most of them should never be let out of prison. But there is no purpose in putting them to death, either.
Sure there is. And those reasons have been covered extensively in this and other threads.

timschochet said:
Does redemption require God or an afterlife? I don't think so. I believe in the principle, without the details that you believe in. People can change from evil to good.I have read about murderers, some on death row, who have regretted their lives and become decent people, doing good work in prison. Most of them should never be let out of prison. But there is no purpose in putting them to death, either.
Just a joke, Ace.

Are you getting dumber by the day or something? Not only did you get all Francis like on my joke, you are simply just making crap up and stating it as fact.

timschochet said:
Just a joke, Ace.Are you getting dumber by the day or something? Not only did you get all Francis like on my joke, you are simply just making crap up and stating it as fact.
What did I make up?

timschochet said:
Just a joke, Ace.Are you getting dumber by the day or something? Not only did you get all Francis like on my joke, you are simply just making crap up and stating it as fact.
What did I make up?
The last sentence.

timschochet said:
But they could have been insane when they committed those crimes. Should a mentally ill person be put to death?
Assuming by "mentally ill" we mean someone incapable of grasping what they are doing and by definition that makes them "innocent", then no I do not support the execution of innocent people. (Though to be fair I'm not sure I have ever been made upset by any such cases.)

However, I think those that all said "Yes" would reject that someone that murdered someone else could be "innocent". I also think a few high profile cases results in a belief that this is routinely a winning defense.

Ditka Butkus said:
Bottomfeeder Sports said:
Ditka Butkus said:
Bottomfeeder Sports said:
Ditka Butkus said:
You know I'm pretty certain that a very real part of who I am will not lose any sleep if and when either of these guys are executed. I'll probably even sleep a little better.

However, I'd never be OK with completely surrendering our values that it should be hard, it should be expensive for the state to take away a person's life. Government should always be burdened with hoops to jump through that makes government's operations inefficient, and there is no way taking a like would be a more efficient exception ,

timschochet said:
What did I make up?
The last sentence.
That there is no purpose in putting them to death? That is obviously an opinion on my part, not a statement of fact.

timschochet said:
What did I make up?
The last sentence.
That there is no purpose in putting them to death? That is obviously an opinion on my part, not a statement of fact.
You would change your mind real fast if your options were an 'x'% tax on your earnings to house them or 0% tax on your earnings if they are put to death. Someone has to pay to keep these losers alive. It should be those that think they should be kept alive.

timschochet said:
If somebody who's already serving a life sentence commits murder, what should his punishment be? Is there some other situation where the death penalty is more appropriate than in that one?

It's not bizarre to test whether the death penalty might ever be appropriate by considering the strongest case for it.

Last edited by a moderator:
timschochet said:
If somebody who's already serving a life sentence commits murder, what should his punishment be? Is there some other situation where the death penalty is more appropriate than in that one?

It's not bizarre to test whether the death penalty might ever be appropriate by considering the strongest case for it.
Based on the past few pages of this thread we should reward prisoners who kill other prisoners. Maybe give them a share of the savings for tax payers.

In any case I'm pretty certain that the "strongest case" for the death penalty isn't prisoners killing prisoners.

You would change your mind real fast if your options were an 'x'% tax on your earnings to house them or 0% tax on your earnings if they are put to death. Someone has to pay to keep these losers alive. It should be those that think they should be kept alive.
Putting them to death requires a tax of a lot more than zero percent. Here's a more realistic conundrum for you.

Suppose your options were an x% tax on your earnings to punish them or a 0% tax on your earnings to let them go scot-free. Someone has to pay to keep those losers from going scot-free. It should be those that think they should be punished.

Good argument? (No, it's not.)

timschochet said:

Based on the past few pages of this thread we should reward prisoners who kill other prisoners. Maybe give them a share of the savings for tax payers.

In any case I'm pretty certain that the "strongest case" for the death penalty isn't prisoners killing prisoners.
who said anything about prisoners killing prisoners? how about prisoners killing guards?

Of course the death penalty is wrong in theory and in practice. It is unevenly applied and racially imbalanced. It is huge government intrusion into civil liberty--what greater right is there to cede to the government than the right to live? So-called "conservatives" whine about how the government cant do anything right and then give that same government the power of life and death over them in a flawed procedural system of manmade laws run by flawed politicians (DA's and judges). And we really cant seem to do it without killing innocent citizens, which is horrifying.

On the other hand, I understand the simplistic emotional primitive tribal need to punish the outcasts who violate the tribal norms, and I am very pro-killing in general, so personally I dont worry about it too much. Sooner or later, it will be undeniably shown that we are blatantly and obviously executing innocent people and there will be a huge reaction against the death penalty.

Of course the death penalty is wrong in theory and in practice. It is unevenly applied and racially imbalanced. It is huge government intrusion into civil liberty--what greater right is there to cede to the government than the right to live? So-called "conservatives" whine about how the government cant do anything right and then give that same government the power of life and death over them in a flawed procedural system of manmade laws run by flawed politicians (DA's and judges). And we really cant seem to do it without killing innocent citizens, which is horrifying.

On the other hand, I understand the simplistic emotional primitive tribal need to punish the outcasts who violate the tribal norms, and I am very pro-killing in general, so personally I dont worry about it too much. Sooner or later, it will be undeniably shown that we are blatantly and obviously executing innocent people and there will be a huge reaction against the death penalty.
Your imbalance, like the incorrect "cost" argument, is about the courts. Not about the Death penalty.

We dont do away with all imprisonment because the sentences are all unequally applied.

Your imbalance, like the incorrect "cost" argument, is about the courts. Not about the Death penalty.

We dont do away with all imprisonment because the sentences are all unequally applied.
I know. That is why I said "in practice".

That doesn't change a thing.

The Death penalty is proper. In theory or practice.

Expecting anything to be "perfect" as a needed outcome to remain in use is idiocy.

The COURTS are unequal. Fix that.

The death penalty and imprisonment, while unequal and imperfect, save countless more innocent lives then they ever ruin.

Last edited by a moderator:

Just curious: would your take change at all if the criminal in question not only had a mountain of evidence supporting their guilty conviction, but also admitted to the crime?

What's entirely wrong is having to spend an average of around $500,000 per inmate on death row, JUST TO FEED/CLOTHE/SHELTER them the nearly 16 years it takes from sentencing to the carrying-out of said sentence. I don't even want to think about all of the additional legal/judicial and other peripheral fees associated with their trial and all their appeals. Seriously. If some one takes another person's life, knowingly and willingly takes another person's life, and there is no shadow of a doubt related to their guilt? Why spend $500,000+ waiting to carry-out their sentence, when a bullet costs less than $5 (probably less than $1.50)? :shrug:

Expecting anything to be "perfect" as a needed outcome to remain in use is idiocy.

The death penalty and imprisonment, while unequal and imperfect, save countless more innocent lives then they ever ruin.
What? The death penalty is "proper"? I am not sure what you are talking about. The government killing its own citizens is not "proper", although it can certainly be argued it is necessary at times. I didnt say anything needed to be "perfect", I just pointed out what a lame and flawed system the death penalty in practice is here. I am sorry that bugs you. You seem very emotionally invested in the primitive tribal notion of eye for an eye punishment that the death penalty represents. Interesting that the death penalty is the only archaic arbitrary leftover of those primitive times, when all other criminal punishments in our system are either incarceration or financial penalties.

What? The death penalty is "proper"? I am not sure what you are talking about. The government killing its own citizens is not "proper", although it can certainly be argued it is necessary at times. I didnt say anything needed to be "perfect", I just pointed out what a lame and flawed system the death penalty in practice is here. I am sorry that bugs you. You seem very emotionally invested in the primitive tribal notion of eye for an eye punishment that the death penalty represents. Interesting that the death penalty is the only archaic arbitrary leftover of those primitive times, when all other criminal punishments in our system are either incarceration or financial penalties.
So do away with the police.

So do away with public paid doctors and nurses and hospitals.

So do away with teachers and school buses.

And so on and so on.

Because all of those things make mistakes and cost people their lives.

But the turn around is that they save/benefit WAY more people. Like the death penalty and imprisonment... even though they to make mistakes (the court does) which cost people their lives.

timschochet said:

timschochet said:

Actually, (as long as it is a fellow inmate and not a normal human like the guards) that inmate should have his sentence reduced. Say from life to 98 years. He's done the country a service. $ has been saved. He kills again in prison it drops to 97 years. Odds are he will never go free as he will himself be killed before he gets to zero.

It's a new program called 'thinning the herd.'

So do away with the police.

So do away with public paid doctors and nurses and hospitals.

So do away with teachers and school buses.

And so on and so on.

Because all of those things make mistakes and cost people their lives.

But the turn around is that they save/benefit WAY more people. Like the death penalty and imprisonment... even though they to make mistakes (the court does) which cost people their lives.
You seem to have gotten confused. I dont really care if primitive thinking tribalists want to kill the mentally ill and murderers. So keep at it. I was just pointing out that it is bad in practice and theory. Which it is, and none of your strange absolutist analogies about getting rid of core government services because they make fatal mistakes changes that.

The death penalty doesnt save or benefit "WAY more people." It is more expensive than lifetime incarceration, kills innocent people, and degrades all of us: our society, culture and government. But like I said, I am fine with killing in general, so I am ok if you guys want to keep it around to stimulate your lower brains.

Users who are viewing this thread