What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bicycle Guys! (2 Viewers)

I'm a rear wheel braker when I have a choice. I'm often braking while coming down a hill so my center of gravity is already forward. 

In a panic braking situation, most people will just grab for whatever brakes they have.  If you ride long enough, you'll eventually go over the handlebars.

I'm a rear wheel braker when I have a choice. I'm often braking while coming down a hill so my center of gravity is already forward. 

In a panic braking situation, most people will just grab for whatever brakes they have.  If you ride long enough, you'll eventually go over the handlebars.
You want to learn braking, go mountain biking on some decent trails, not that flat hard pack stuff I see so many people call a "trail". You'll learn your first session  :D

I rear brake and feather in the front for those IMMEDIATE STOP! needs when they arise. I also have hydraulic disk brakes which I think make braking so much better than pads. Only been over the handlebars once, hoping learned my lesson.

Youtube rocks for bike repair.  If I had it to do over again, I would have gotten a full tool kit on day 1 instead of buying a new tool every few months.

Tools save you money long-term, particularly if you maintain the whole family's bikes.  Kits save you money over individual tools.

https://www.nashbar.com/spin-doctor-bicycle-essential-tool-kit-40-2451-non-non/p920877 and http://www.bikesdirect.com/incredible_holiday/bh-blue-specialtoolkit.htm look decent for sub-$50 kits.
I like Nashbar, I got my pump from them.  Has both presta and schrader valves so I can use it for my road or mountain bike easily.

https://www.nashbar.com/pro-touring-steel-barrel-floorpump-prpu0080/p633904

Simplest explanation I heard was stand on the side of your bike. Grab handlebars and fully press the rear bake and push forward. You will notice the bike still moves forward , for it skids. Do the same but apply pressure only to the front brake. It will not move forward. You will notice the rear wheel lift though - and that is where the learning to use front brake properly comes in
But that manifesto was telling us that using only the front brake is way better than using both... it just kept repeating that with nothing to back it up, though.

Corporation said:
I like Nashbar, I got my pump from them.  Has both presta and schrader valves so I can use it for my road or mountain bike easily.

https://www.nashbar.com/pro-touring-steel-barrel-floorpump-prpu0080/p633904
They have some ridiculous sales at times - they had a mountain bike deal pop up a couple of years ago for a 3-year-old bike that was still in the box for about half the price of a comparable bike.  I jumped on it for my son.  I've also nabbed some super-cheap tires, tubes, helmets, and shorts there.  I'm guessing I've spent something like $800 there over the past 5 years.  It seems like they got their inventory figured out after last summer, though - not many killer deals over the winter.

If any of you have a Garmin Varia radar light, I just discovered a neat bolt on app that gives you data on how many cars pass you and the speed at which they blow by you. Comes from DCRainmaker here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_M4_chzKLU

The app is My Bike Traffic and their website were you can see some enriched data is https://www.mybiketraffic.com/. I tested it yesterday on a little 7 mile ride and was passed a whopping 68 times! Crazy amount of traffic for this short ride. I don't know how much I'll check the enriched data but it's cool to see the Vehicle Passed stat on your Garmin computer as you ride. Example

Been loving the new bike.  Going out on average 3 to 4 times a week with rides generally in the 10 to 15 mile range.  Will need to find the time to do a 20 plus mile ride.  Very flat where I am so not able to do much hill work which would be good for my fitness but so far happy with the purchase and fill in for my Peloton I have at my home.  

They have some ridiculous sales at times - they had a mountain bike deal pop up a couple of years ago for a 3-year-old bike that was still in the box for about half the price of a comparable bike.  I jumped on it for my son.  I've also nabbed some super-cheap tires, tubes, helmets, and shorts there.  I'm guessing I've spent something like $800 there over the past 5 years.  It seems like they got their inventory figured out after last summer, though - not many killer deals over the winter.
https://www.bicycleretailer.com/retail-news/2018/08/24/ase-consolidates-nashbar-and-performance-systems-and-shipping-closes-ohio#.XsK5cGhKiUk

Aha - that timing seems to match up - just after that was a flurry of great deals as they shed some inventory related to the merger, now deals are comparatively minor.

That said, I picked up one of these yesterday: https://www.nashbar.com/club-ride-apparel-new-west-short-sleeve-shirt-rust-s-mjnw901rus/p1056611?v=1056596 - I bought a previous model about 7 years ago used and it's my first-choice biking jersey.

Loving my Marlin 7 a few weeks in.  Doing quite a bit of neighborhood riding with my 7 and 10 year olds, and would love to have my iPhone playing some tunes while riding.  What phone clamps/holders do you guys recommend?

+1. These are great. The case can be a bit bulky for normal use but by far the best mechanism going. And not inexpensive for what it is. But leaps and bound better than the rest. Don’t get a soft case that mounts anywhere on the bike. They’re dumb 

Last edited by a moderator:
+1. These are great. The case can be a bit bulky for normal use but by far the best mechanism going. And not inexpensive for what it is. But leaps and bound better than the rest. Don’t get a soft case that mounts anywhere on the bike. They’re dumb 
I was curious about this stem cap mount option https://sp-connect.com/collections/bike/products/micro-stem-mount-alu

I think this is th most elegant and non obtrusive solution, but unsure if it will work the angle of my stem (debating trying it though and maybe putting a spacer)

:shrug:

Like most things, you can buy something cheap that will work fine for a bit, maybe even a year, but then fail. Or worse, it fails and your phone goes flying off the mount and breaks.

Or you can spend more up front and have a better product that lasts longer and is more secure.

Sure, if @tommyGunZ is just riding around his neighborhood with his kids, some cheap thing is fine. I use mine on long gravel rides and singletrack.

:shrug:

Like most things, you can buy something cheap that will work fine for a bit, maybe even a year, but then fail. Or worse, it fails and your phone goes flying off the mount and breaks.

Or you can spend more up front and have a better product that lasts longer and is more secure.

Sure, if @tommyGunZ is just riding around his neighborhood with his kids, some cheap thing is fine. I use mine on long gravel rides and singletrack.
Also no pic of it with a phone attached. How do you see the screen with those straps?

Quad lock only mounts around the stem, right? The sp connect replaces the stem mount cap and that acts as the mount itself.
Correct.  The quad essentially mounts on the gooseneck.  You could also mount on the cross bar but not how I would do it.  

Full disclosure, I had a quad lock, but now just stick my phone in my jersey.  I was going through a phase of focusing on wind resistance, weight, etc.  Probably made no noticeable difference except psychologically. :)

Straps are small when wrapped over the phone. Shouldn't be looking at a phone while you're riding anyhow, safety first  ;)

I use it as a place to keep my phone rather than the bag under my seat which is filled with tube, tire tools, etc. It's cheap and it works  :shrug:

Picture of what it looks like https://www.niteize.com/product/handleband.asp
That looks like a lost or damaged phone waiting to happen, but perhaps not.  As mentioned directly above, now I just throw my tool kit and phone in my jersey pocket.

Simplest explanation I heard was stand on the side of your bike. Grab handlebars and fully press the rear bake and push forward. You will notice the bike still moves forward , for it skids. Do the same but apply pressure only to the front brake. It will not move forward. You will notice the rear wheel lift though - and that is where the learning to use front brake properly comes in
My best real life example.  Coming down a 9% hill, wet road, going 40-45.  Light up ahead turns yellow - perfect Murphy timing.  Anal pucker moment hits.  Grab a bit of rear brake and tire just starts sliding from under me and does nothing for speed, grab front brake and start slowing but the rear wheel comes off the ground.  Then just let go of everything and pray no one guns it when the light turns.  I lived.

Going downhill, grabbing the front brake, and not moving your body over the rear wheel is a really bad day.  

Been loving the new bike.  Going out on average 3 to 4 times a week with rides generally in the 10 to 15 mile range.  Will need to find the time to do a 20 plus mile ride.  Very flat where I am so not able to do much hill work which would be good for my fitness but so far happy with the purchase and fill in for my Peloton I have at my home.  
The Catskills are calling.

Sand said:
My best real life example.  Coming down a 9% hill, wet road, going 40-45.  Light up ahead turns yellow - perfect Murphy timing.  Anal pucker moment hits.  Grab a bit of rear brake and tire just starts sliding from under me and does nothing for speed, grab front brake and start slowing but the rear wheel comes off the ground.  Then just let go of everything and pray no one guns it when the light turns.  I lived.

Going downhill, grabbing the front brake, and not moving your body over the rear wheel is a really bad day.  

The Catskills are calling.
This had escaped me, but is a critical point.  When breaking (either front or back), you slide your butt back as it moves you center of gravity closer to the road.  It forces you to get lower on the bike.

This had escaped me, but is a critical point.  When breaking (either front or back), you slide your butt back as it moves you center of gravity closer to the road.  It forces you to get lower on the bike.
I've done some really short stops (as in ruining a tire skidding stopping so fast) and if you move your body way back and down you can avoid going over the bars.  At least with roadie rim brakes.  I've never had a bike with hydraulic brakes, so caveat emptor there.

I've done some really short stops (as in ruining a tire skidding stopping so fast) and if you move your body way back and down you can avoid going over the bars.  At least with roadie rim brakes.  I've never had a bike with hydraulic brakes, so caveat emptor there.
All my bikes have hydraulics. I will attest that it is a decided difference than padded brakes. The first time I realized this was on single trail with a sharp drop off on one side. After I dusted off I made a note of trying to manage that better the next time it happened. So far, so good  :thumbup:

Hydraulic brakes will stop you on a dime.

All my bikes have hydraulics. I will attest that it is a decided difference than padded brakes. The first time I realized this was on single trail with a sharp drop off on one side. After I dusted off I made a note of trying to manage that better the next time it happened. So far, so good  :thumbup:
So kinda like this?

I've been getting back into biking quite a bit as I'm trying to get back into shape.  I've got an old GT XCR2000 softtail mountain bike that I used to ride as intended before I had kids.  I'm not in good enough shape to really do that anymore, and feel like this bike isn't the best for cruising around town.  Any recommendations from you folks?  

I don't particularly want a road bike as there are a lot of gravel paths around my town, and while I don't want another full suspension mountain bike, I like the idea of having a bike that could get around the mountain if I decide to.  I was toying with the idea of a Trek Marlin 5, or something similar.

I've been getting back into biking quite a bit as I'm trying to get back into shape.  I've got an old GT XCR2000 softtail mountain bike that I used to ride as intended before I had kids.  I'm not in good enough shape to really do that anymore, and feel like this bike isn't the best for cruising around town.  Any recommendations from you folks?  

I don't particularly want a road bike as there are a lot of gravel paths around my town, and while I don't want another full suspension mountain bike, I like the idea of having a bike that could get around the mountain if I decide to.  I was toying with the idea of a Trek Marlin 5, or something similar.
I have a Marlin 7, it's a mountain bike. It's heavy, can take a beating but it is not a get around town bike. Sounds like you are looking for a hybrid or a straight gravel bike. I have Trek FX 4 Sport hybrid that I love but not sure how it would be on gravel without upgrading the tires. Great bike for getting around town here.

Gravel bikes are becoming the rage as more people try to get off the roads but I have no experience with them. I'm sure someone in the thread can comment.

Anyone ever mount an air horn on their bike? I'm so pissed at the cages around here I'm building a prototype. Bench testing now.  Hope to have on the bike this weekend.

I have a Marlin 7, it's a mountain bike. It's heavy, can take a beating but it is not a get around town bike. Sounds like you are looking for a hybrid or a straight gravel bike. I have Trek FX 4 Sport hybrid that I love but not sure how it would be on gravel without upgrading the tires. Great bike for getting around town here.

Gravel bikes are becoming the rage as more people try to get off the roads but I have no experience with them. I'm sure someone in the thread can comment.
Yea, when I look at bikes there seem to be a lot more varieties than the last time I shopped for a bike.  I've always bought used bikes, but looked around at the new ones to get an idea of what I want.  The choices are overwhelming and I'm probably overthinking it.  About half of my rides are with my kids, so I'm also concerned that something that is way easier to ride around town will give me absolutely no workout when I ride with the kids.  

Cruising around town and can go most places - i.e. jack of all trades?  Something like the Trek FX 1 (all the manufacturers make hybrids like this).  Won't be good at any one thing, but great for tooling around. 

If you're looking for something in between that can do road and gravel (by that I mean gravel roads, not technical trails) gravel bikes are really getting to the point you can do both.  And with the right tires on can become a roadie fairly easily.  Trek Checkpoint, etc.  Again all the manufacturers make them, so take your pick there.

My comment:  I want one.

Second comment:  Wife would kill me if I showed up at home with one.

My comment:  I want one.

Second comment:  Wife would kill me if I showed up at home with one.
The lockdown has sent me into the biking world for the first time.  At first I thought I needed a hybrid for neighborhood biking, but a quick, but tough detour through a construction site with my wife's hybrid made me realize I need something with more off-road capability.  Thus I started going down the cyclocross world.  Then my friend said he wants to get back into MTB, so I began researching mountain biking.  

Since I don't think I can find a 'do it all' bike, I'm looking to buy a cyclocross bike and a full suspension MTB.  The cyclocross bike seems relatively straight-forward in terms of determining what I need.  However, I'm completely lost in the MTB world.  There are so many different frame designs, shocks, and other components that may or may not be tailored for the kind of riding I'd be doing.  Where should I start in determining the kind of bike I need?  Here's an example of a riding park near me to give a sense of my needs.  Balm Boyette 

I bought this gravel bike a month or 2 ago

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/carbon-disc-brake-road-bikes/immortal-disc-pro-discbrake-carbon-road-bikes.htm

Very happy with it, the wider tires really help out on the terrible roads around here.  Find the position on the bike to be quite comfortable.  I've put about 100 miles on it so far and no issues.
How has your experience with BD been?  Did you set the bike up yourself?  If so, how long did it take?

The lockdown has sent me into the biking world for the first time.  At first I thought I needed a hybrid for neighborhood biking, but a quick, but tough detour through a construction site with my wife's hybrid made me realize I need something with more off-road capability.  Thus I started going down the cyclocross world.  Then my friend said he wants to get back into MTB, so I began researching mountain biking.  

Since I don't think I can find a 'do it all' bike, I'm looking to buy a cyclocross bike and a full suspension MTB.  The cyclocross bike seems relatively straight-forward in terms of determining what I need.  However, I'm completely lost in the MTB world.  There are so many different frame designs, shocks, and other components that may or may not be tailored for the kind of riding I'd be doing.  Where should I start in determining the kind of bike I need?  Here's an example of a riding park near me to give a sense of my needs.  Balm Boyette 
I'm a roadie, so I'm not much help here.  I'm sure others can help, though.

Great you're getting into it, though.  Closest a human can get to flying.

How has your experience with BD been?  Did you set the bike up yourself?  If so, how long did it take?
Curious about them too. Are they really that good of a deal compared to some of the other brands?  I’m out of the loop as far as what components to look for

Users who are viewing this thread